Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

I liked the homes. I also thought that the woman house hunter needed to calibrate her makeup for being seen in HD (and also probably in real life). She was looking a bit Bozo-esque there in some of the closeups.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I liked the homes. I also thought that the woman house hunter needed to calibrate her makeup for being seen in HD (and also probably in real life). She was looking a bit Bozo-esque there in some of the closeups.

She was, and her foundation was very shiny. I swear, if I went on TV I'd go to Sephora and have them do my makeup professionally.

He was cute and they endeared themselves to me when I saw them biking (I'm a cyclist too). Although I did find it odd that she said she wanted a house that was half the size of the one they were currently in but wanted bigger rooms than they had. I knew they'd pick the third house.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Although I did find it odd that she said she wanted a house that was half the size of the one they were currently in but wanted bigger rooms than they had. I knew they'd pick the third house.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. She went into a 1400 square foot four-bedroom house and complained that the bedrooms were small. I wondered where she thought the square footage would come from in that small house to make them bigger.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. She went into a 1400 square foot four-bedroom house and complained that the bedrooms were small. I wondered where she thought the square footage would come from in that small house to make them bigger.

That's one of my pet peeves. There have been a bunch of people on this show who have said they wanted to downsize but don't appear to understand that that means moving into a smaller space with less room.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I liked all three of the Sacramento homes.

I did too. MCM is not my favorite style to live in but it's so much fun to look at.

As for the wife's request for bigger bedrooms, she said she didn't want separate formal living and dining rooms, so it sounded like she was hoping for that extra square footage to go to the bedrooms. I liked that when the husband was complaining that he couldn't possibly live with a single vanity in the master bath, she rolled her eyes at him and said that surely they could make it work.

• Love 5

The South Dakota couple tonight seemed nice, but I was not digging that moustache. And Rozley was the daughter's name? That is a new one. I thought they picked the right house.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The South Dakota couple tonight seemed nice, but I was not digging that moustache. And Rozley was the daughter's name? That is a new one. I thought they picked the right house.

The haircut and mustache were both from the 1890's.  They were a nice couple though.  Seems that their only disagreement was about basements -- which was weird, because most Midwest houses will have a basement, so it's a feature he should be accustomed to.

I liked the ranch house best -- it had the space he needed for working on their vehicles -- but it did need a bit of kitchen and bathroom renovation.  The setting was pretty too.  The house they chose needed some trees. 

I like seeing upper Midwest houses.  I think there was a Rapid City hunt last week, so maybe there'll be more in the area. 

• Love 1

I liked the Sacramento episode, but as a long time fan of MCM and Eichler and like inspired houses, I could tell that the wife was new to the MCM club.  She referred to the painted over grasscloth as burlap.  A couple of other things she said was like she was repeating what she had learned at the Modernist week in Palm Springs.  I would love to attend that event.  

I loved the house they chose, but agree with other comments here about their desire to downsize from 3,000+ sf and expect large bedrooms.  Eichler's weren't known for large bedrooms anyway.  Where did they find the room for the workout equipment?  Was it the garage?  That house only had 3 bedrooms I thought.  

It was nice to have an episode where the couple did not disagree on the style, and the words "craftsman", "bungalow", and "Victorian" weren't mentioned one time. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, laredhead said:

I liked the Sacramento episode, but as a long time fan of MCM and Eichler and like inspired houses, I could tell that the wife was new to the MCM club.  She referred to the painted over grasscloth as burlap.  A couple of other things she said was like she was repeating what she had learned at the Modernist week in Palm Springs.  I would love to attend that event.  

It irritated me that the husband was so adamant about "putting their stamp" on everything and "personalizing" houses that had already been updated to reflect the MCM style. I cringe to think of how he could screw up an Eichler house.

Painting grasscloth is really a no-no. My neighbor did that and it looked horrible.

• Love 5

CruiseDiva, I thought the same thing about the husband's comments.  The 2nd house had a terrazzo floor that he kept criticizing and said he would replace it if they bought that house.  Terrazzo was a floor of the 50's & 60's, and unless it has huge cracks or major damage, it can be cleaned and polished to look new.  A few area rugs here and there, and it will be beautiful.  I would never tear out a floor like that unless it could not be salvaged. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Why do these people have budgets and then complain when their choices are at the top of said budget?  We saw that again last night with the retired  Tampa judge.  I chuckled when he said he'd have to go to the top of his budget to get what he wanted, but he really didn't want to do that.  I did like him, though, and thought he chose the best condo for his purposes. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I was surprised the Tampa retired judge had such a modest budget. I think he ended up paying $215k or around that. 

I told myself he was paying cash. Judges make good money and consulting as an expert witness makes bank. Makes sense if he was downsizing, to live mortgage-free in retirement. I might have upped the budget to get two full baths though.

I thought he was a sweetheart. I loved that he thanked his son (I cracked up when his son said straight up that his dad was cheap). Pretty sure his girlfriend has been on the show looking for her own condo - I think she was the one who was looking for a place with separated bedrooms for her and her teenage daughter. I haaaaated the second place he looked at, with the cinderblock walls.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 10

Back to the South Dakota couple and the house they chose.  Basements are not a thing here in south Louisiana.  They would be indoor swimming pools here - lol.  My only experience with a basement is the one that was unfinished and in my in-law's house in northern Pennsylvania.  It was always cool, damp, and musty smelling to me.  The husband on the SD show kept saying he could smell the basement, even in one of the houses that had what looked to be like a very nice finished basement.  Can basements be made to smell like the rest of the house - clean and fresh?  If a finished basement smells musty, is that a sign that moisture is seeping in from somewhere.  In the end they chose a house with a huge unfinished basement, and they were using it for fabulous storage in the final reveal.  I would give my eye teeth for a storage space like that if it was clean and dry.  Odd to hear a buyer giving glowing remarks about carpet and a separation of rooms floor plan too.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Can basements be made to smell like the rest of the house - clean and fresh?

Definitely.  Here in Ontario where I am full basements are the norm and for a lot of people they function as an extension of their living space (and storage too) I've never lived in a house where the basement smelled musty.  That said of course the basement is also the first point of entry for water so if there is a crack in the foundation or the pipes leak you are going to have problems and some areas are going to be worse for potential problems than others!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

That place with the cinderblock walls was awful! You would feel like you were in a prison cell.

It was really awful.  I don't mind modern-industrial, especially in places like that that are converted commercial properties; but that place looked terrible, the finishes looked cheap.  Also, what the heck was up with the 'den'?  That was no more than an alcove, it didn't even look like it was separate from the living room, no door between them.  A small desk and bookcase would've dwarfed that space.  I liked the judge, though, and he seemed to have a great relationship with his son.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, laredhead said:

Can basements be made to smell like the rest of the house - clean and fresh? 

Yep.   In part it has to do with the soil conditions - my first house had a basement and the house was built on what was once a sand dune.  Dry as a bone as water never collected around the foundation (although it was a nightmare to keep plants watered!).  My current house is on clay and I had to have a sump pump to keep the basement dry.  With that in place it, too, is perfectly fine without any musty odors.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Pickles said:

I was surprised the Tampa retired judge had such a modest budget. I think he ended up paying $215k or around that. 

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I told myself he was paying cash. Judges make good money and consulting as an expert witness makes bank. Makes sense if he was downsizing, to live mortgage-free in retirement. I might have upped the budget to get two full baths though.

I wonder if he had a very expensive divorce, because otherwise I can't wrap my head around why someone who'd been a judge for 20 years and still makes good money as an expert witness would pick a place where you have to keep the blinds down over the lower half of the living room window because it faces a parking lot. He did seem like a nice guy though, as did his son. I loved their family history and how rooted they are in their community.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Yep.   In part it has to do with the soil conditions - my first house had a basement and the house was built on what was once a sand dune.  Dry as a bone as water never collected around the foundation (although it was a nightmare to keep plants watered!).  My current house is on clay and I had to have a sump pump to keep the basement dry.  With that in place it, too, is perfectly fine without any musty odors.

I live in an almost 70 year old house with a basement.  When I moved in, it smelled musty and there was obvious wetness around the foundation.  Waterproofing, getting a sump pump and getting rid of all the water damaged paneling and flooring cleaned it right up.  It is now dry as a bone and very comfortable for more than 20 years. Part of it is a family room with an area for exercise equipment.  Big screen TV, sectional sofa; it's a terrific space and smells as good, or better than the rest of the house.  I live in the Midwest with clay soil, probably similar to Sioux City.

My first thought was that the judge had had a very expensive divorce and/or was maybe supporting his parents and other family members since it sounded like he came from a big family and had humble beginnings.  Or maybe he'd invested in a business or other situation that resulted in a big financial loss.  

On a really shallow note: anyone else distracted by his girlfriend wearing thick support hose with a summer dress and sandals when they were looking at the first condo?  For some reason, it caught my eye and I had a hard time seeing anything else.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

Re: Tampa judge. This is my hometown. I believe Judge Greco still owns his home near Orlando. He wanted to return to Tampa because he’s thinking of running for mayor, in the footsteps of his dad. They are a strong family, a school is named for his dad. His condo is in a beautiful part of downtown. It’s surrounded by the bay and you can see some very stately old mansions across the bay.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I live in an almost 70 year old house with a basement.  When I moved in, it smelled musty and there was obvious wetness around the foundation.  Waterproofing, getting a sump pump and getting rid of all the water damaged paneling and flooring cleaned it right up.  It is now dry as a bone and very comfortable for more than 20 years. Part of it is a family room with an area for exercise equipment.  Big screen TV, sectional sofa; it's a terrific space and smells as good, or better than the rest of the house.  I live in the Midwest with clay soil, probably similar to Sioux City.

My first thought was that the judge had had a very expensive divorce and/or was maybe supporting his parents and other family members since it sounded like he came from a big family and had humble beginnings.  Or maybe he'd invested in a business or other situation that resulted in a big financial loss.  

On a really shallow note: anyone else distracted by his girlfriend wearing thick support hose with a summer dress and sandals when they were looking at the first condo?  For some reason, it caught my eye and I had a hard time seeing anything else.

I noticed the hose. I thought “She must be so sweaty.” I don’t wear stockings if I can help it (and never nude hose, I don’t even own them), and I can’t imagine doing so in a hot, humid climate unless they were medically necessary.

1 hour ago, ehall1052 said:

Re: Tampa judge. This is my hometown. I believe Judge Greco still owns his home near Orlando. He wanted to return to Tampa because he’s thinking of running for mayor, in the footsteps of his dad. They are a strong family, a school is named for his dad. His condo is in a beautiful part of downtown. It’s surrounded by the bay and you can see some very stately old mansions across the bay.

OK, that makes sense.  If he was just buying a place to establish residency to run for office, he doesn't need to spend a lot.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

A friend has heart/circulation issues and wears compression stockings every day, even in summer, with shorts or capris.  Maybe that's what the judge's GF was wearing.  My friend says it's very uncomfortable but better than the alternative. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

A friend has heart/circulation issues and wears compression stockings every day, even in summer, with shorts or capris.  Maybe that's what the judge's GF was wearing.  My friend says it's very uncomfortable but better than the alternative. 

True, but later in the episode, she was bare legged.  And, even if she needed them,  it was a bit distracting onscreen.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:40 AM, Pickles said:

That place with the cinderblock walls was awful! You would feel like you were in a prison cell.

My understanding is, traditionally  those places usually do well in a hurricane

• Love 3

All these "put my own stamp on it" people need to go just build the house they want, if it's so important to "make it our own".  Then again, they'd find something to whine about then too.

(yeah, I'm negative nellie today).

• Love 12
On 4/7/2018 at 4:54 PM, doodlebug said:

I didn't notice the heavy stockings, but the eyebrows on the judge's girlfriend were really distracting. She needs to get her ass to Ulta for a makeover.

• Love 2
(edited)

WA State:  The husband kept insisting that the master bath have a double sink so that he and his wife could get ready together in the morning/nights. He kept saying that they had to have a double sink/vanity.

Dude! really?!  

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 5

Best friends in Austin buying a house together.  One of them wants mid-century modern.  Of course.  And the realtor found one.  Built in 1971.  At least the HH reacted to it with "mid-century leaning." 

Not only was that house not MCM, it also wasn't 10 minutes from downtown, even in the middle of the night with no wrecks on I-35. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 8

I liked the Austin women, but yikes, did they really know what they were getting into with that house? Foundation problems would have sent me running. So many projects! I was wondering what the neighborhood was like?

• Love 8

I know that was the cheapest of the three Austin homes shown, but don't homes have to have an inspection before purchase?  I wonder if the two friends knew what they were getting into? 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I know that was the cheapest of the three Austin homes shown, but don't homes have to have an inspection before purchase?  I

This may depend on the area you live in but here a home inspection is optional.  If you feel confident enough in your own ability to assess a house or have a family member or friend who can do it people will often not put this in as a condition of purchase.  Also with shows like Mike Holmes pointing out how often home inspectors miss things some people are just not bothering with them at all instead of doing their research and getting someone good.

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 1

But they didn't do a walk through, and walk around the house to see the obvious cracks in the foundation.  That would have sent me running, I don't care how cheap the house was.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I liked the Austin women, but yikes, did they really know what they were getting into with that house? Foundation problems would have sent me running. So many projects! I was wondering what the neighborhood was like?

Me too.  I think that house is in the worst condition of any house I've seen on HH, and that includes 120-year-old Victorians.  It must have been in a decent neighborhood, or they wouldn't be spending what it will take to make the place safe and livable.  Would they?

• Love 2

I knew they would choose the run down place, but I hope they're going to put in a second bathroom.  And why decorate the outside when the whole house is basically falling apart?  I don't think they know how much redoing a foundation can cost, but not only that, the inspections they will have to pass could be a giant pain in the butt.  Once you start doing things, a lot of other problems will probably pop up.  I just hope their budget allows for thousands of dollars.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Me too.  I think that house is in the worst condition of any house I've seen on HH, and that includes 120-year-old Victorians.  It must have been in a decent neighborhood, or they wouldn't be spending what it will take to make the place safe and livable.  Would they?

From the description of the area (East Austin, a "straight shot into downtown") and the style of the house and the price of the house, they're in the black/brown part of town, which is being gentrified.  It was actually established as the black neighborhood for Austin in the 1920s, and is mostly small, working-class type houses.  The neighborhood thrived until the 1960s, when it became blighted and drug infested.

But it's in a great location--close to downtown, albeit separated from it by an interstate.  When white people were priced out of every other part of central Austin, they had to look farther out, but the younger more intrepid ones turned an eye toward East Austin, an area they would visit for Mexican food but never consider living in 20 years ago.  But cheap property and proximity to downtown called.  A few pioneers did it, and more followed, and then came the developers.  East Austin has now lost its stigma, and has probably developed some cachet.  It's a far far cry from when I was taking classes at the (run down) community college there in the late 1970s.

I wouldn't guarantee that the HHs' house is in a decent neighborhood right this minute, but if not, it will be in a few years.  Not least because all the poor people will have been run out. 

This photo ("R.L. waits for his ride to weekly dialysis in front of his home on East 12th Street") tells the story:

https://www.texasobserver.org/eye-texas-gentrification-east-austin/

• Love 5

I was also puzzled by the snark between the two friends over who would get the master bedroom.  When they were completely remodeling that shack, why didn't they take advantage of the opportunity to create two equal size bedrooms?

Missed the opening of the show.  Was the one woman's vintage clothing business really just a re-sale shop for horrible, dated, patterned, blazers?    

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Missed the opening of the show.  Was the one woman's vintage clothing business really just a re-sale shop for horrible, dated, patterned, blazers?    

I missed the opening as well, and heard reference to the slim woman's vintage clothing business.  I don't know what the other woman did. 

I think the one woman was in marketing and I believe the dark haired woman did something in software development and the vintage clothing thing was going to be an online business.

14 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think the one woman was in marketing and I believe the dark haired woman did something in software development and the vintage clothing thing was going to be an online business.

Oh ok, thanks!

I don't think buying a house with a friend is a great idea when you're young. Your life can change so quickly - job move, relationship/marriage, etc. -  that there's usually not a lot of time to build equity and you're putting the other person in a bad position if you need to move. It's smarter to buy a smaller starter house or condo by yourself.

And the house they bought was such a nightmare. They said they closed two months ago and they obviously still haven't made a dent in the remodeling because of all the structural issues. So they're not only paying for the structural work and the updates, but also continue to pay rent because they can't yet live in the house. The final scene where they're both wearing vintage white overalls and choosing the backsplash while the house is falling down around them solidified for me that they're only in it for the optics of being quirky Austin hipsters and have no idea what they've gotten themselves into.

• Love 22

At first I thought the Austin women were a couple, but then when they kept going on and on about separate bedrooms, I assumed that they weren't.  So I cannot understand why they would want to go in together for such a major financial commitment.   

Also, while an inspection might not be required, it boggles my mind that the real estate agent or somebody didn't suggest that they get one, because that house looks like a money pit.   

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

At first I thought the Austin women were a couple, but then when they kept going on and on about separate bedrooms, I assumed that they weren't. 

I know I have seen a few episodes of HHI where it's obvious that the two people renting are a couple but the story being sold is that they are just friends.  I don't think HH has any problem with same sex couples so I've always assumed that the people involved, for whatever reasons of their own, prefer not to be shown as a couple.  Which aside from begging the question of "why?" also begs the question "then why bother being on TV in a show about living together, however defined?"

• Love 7