Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

A repeat from April...couple wants a bigger home in Clemson SC.  

I'm not 100% sure, but I think she wanted an island with a breakfast bar.  She said it about 9 times, so my takeaway was that having a breakfast bar was essential.  Not having one would probably be a dealbreaker.  Even though every kitchen they saw opened up to a dining room or an actual breakfast nook. With a table and chairs and stuff. She wanted a breakfast bar so their girls could eat their breakfast there. She could totally see herself making breakfast for the girls and then serving it to them right at the breakfast bar.  

Plot Twist:  they ended up buying the one house that did not have a breakfast bar. Not sure where her little girls are going to eat breakfast now.  :(

• Love 9

I had a work friend who grew up across the street from her paternal grandparents. She and her brother loved it but I don't know how her mother felt (although her parents remain married, so that's something!). 

To the Smyrna woman who kept complaining about her boyfriend's stinky uniforms...ever hear of a dry cleaner?!?  Oh, and if he also has stinky jeans & t-shirts, there's a new appliance called a washing machine!!

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, MsTree said:

To the Smyrna woman who kept complaining about her boyfriend's stinky uniforms...ever hear of a dry cleaner?!?  Oh, and if he also has stinky jeans & t-shirts, there's a new appliance called a washing machine!!

But what if - God forbid - the washer and dryer are in the KITCHEN!?  

• Love 9
On 7/9/2016 at 1:59 AM, MsTree said:

On 7/9/2016 at 2:25 AM, Albino said:

But what if - God forbid - the washer and dryer are in the KITCHEN!?  

19 hours ago, MsTree said:

Then it's time for a new boyfriend.

Or a new house, where he can dump his stinky uniforms in the specially designated room.

• Love 1
On July 8, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Albino said:

A repeat from April...couple wants a bigger home in Clemson SC.  

I'm not 100% sure, but I think she wanted an island with a breakfast bar.  She said it about 9 times, so my takeaway was that having a breakfast bar was essential.  Not having one would probably be a dealbreaker.  Even though every kitchen they saw opened up to a dining room or an actual breakfast nook. With a table and chairs and stuff. She wanted a breakfast bar so their girls could eat their breakfast there. She could totally see herself making breakfast for the girls and then serving it to them right at the breakfast bar.  

Plot Twist:  they ended up buying the one house that did not have a breakfast bar. Not sure where her little girls are going to eat breakfast now.  :(

That's Mr. Negativity.  He annoyed the crap out of me.  Debbie Downer.  Every time she said something nice he countered it with something negative.

He also started the new thing about buying a house like he grew up in.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Did anyone watch Hunting Vintage? Those are my kind of houses. What was the deal with them wanting "human scale rooms" or whatever? What does that even mean?

I would think it's about smaller, more intimate rooms as opposed to open concept, soaring cathedral ceilings and that "Look! I live in a mansion!" mentality.  

Haven't seen this show yet, but there's a new one on tonight...I'll be watching!

• Love 4

I watched Hunting Vintage the last 2 nights.  I wonder if they even know what vintage brings as they keep complaining about room size.

My last house was built in 1903 and I was so in love with it.  I was so sad having to sell it after living in it 30+ years.

• Love 2

I wonder if they even know what vintage brings as they keep complaining about room size.

I'm thinking that as well. If you truly want vintage you need to understand that the lifestyle was different 100 years ago.  The residents were not so damned paranoid about seeing their children every second of the day.  The women (or servants in some cases) were off by themselves in the kitchen preparing the meals to be brought out to the dining room, not in the middle of a huge room "entertaining".  Rooms were small because possessions were few (no giant TVs in everyone's bedroom) and closets small for the same reason.  

Do some research, idiots, and then stop bitching about it not looking like a boring open concept McMansion.

• Love 11
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm thinking that as well. If you truly want vintage you need to understand that the lifestyle was different 100 years ago.  The residents were not so damned paranoid about seeing their children every second of the day.  The women (or servants in some cases) were off by themselves in the kitchen preparing the meals to be brought out to the dining room, not in the middle of a huge room "entertaining".  Rooms were small because possessions were few (no giant TVs in everyone's bedroom) and closets small for the same reason.  

Do some research, idiots, and then stop bitching about it not looking like a boring open concept McMansion.

I watched the show last night - Wilmington, Delaware - and the houses were beautiful and lovingly restored.  The couple seemed okay but when they finally bought one, guess what?  They ripped open walls for a better sight line, tore out some gorgeous French doors to make the house more modern and livable.  It made me sick.

I totally get that the kitchen needed a complete makeover and the bathrooms had seen better days, but really?  They might as well buy a new house.

Hopefully they had an inspector make sure the electrical and plumbing were up to code before their demolition remodeling. 

Edited by Albino
  • Love 7

I disliked the woman in last night's episode so much, I didn't watch to see which house they chose.  Was it the one with the smallest kitchen, and the laundry room on the second floor? 

I chuckled when she complained about a bathroom door that hit the sink when the door was open.  So close the door when you're in there! 

What I like best about vintage homes is the tall windows.  I owned a Victorian for awhile.  You could sit on the floor, lean on the windowsill and look out. 

• Love 2

They bought the first one, AuntiePam.  The white one that needed the most work.  She wanted a white home because it reminded her of Father of the Bride.

Her insistence on whiteness was annoying along, with her "ewwwwww!" reactions to the bathrooms and kitchens.  You'd think that as an Interior Decorator she could see beyond surface imperfections.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Albino said:

They bought the first one, AuntiePam.  The white one that needed the most work.  She wanted a white home because it reminded her of Father of the Bride.

Her insistence on whiteness was annoying along, with her "ewwwwww!" reactions to the bathrooms and kitchens.  You'd think that as an Interior Decorator she could see beyond surface imperfections.

White cabinets seem to be the latest obsession of many House Hunters. Do they get grimy and faded over time, or are they easy to keep white? 

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Which brings me to one of my HH Pet Peeves. When one of the House Hunters says to their Realtor, "Gail, why are even showing us this house? It doesn't have X, Y, or Z!" And that's often the home they end up choosing. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Albino, thanks.  Wasn't that one with the swimming pool? 

I wish she had seen The Others instead (the Nicole Kidman ghost movie).  The house in that movie was spectacular.

That's the one!  I would have bought the 3rd just because of its historical preservation status and little brass sign!

White cabinets seem to be the latest obsession of many House Hunters. Do they get grimy and faded over time, or are they easy to keep white? 

I have always had white kitchen cabinets.  I like my wood furniture to be stained, but my doors, trim, and cabinetry to be painted.  And since I love color on the walls, the rest is done in a shade of white that complements the wall color.  So, for example, my kitchen walls are a medium shade of yellow and my cabinets are a white that has a slight yellow tint to it you don't notice without studying it.  I have no trouble keeping them clean; I use a semi-gloss sheen that makes for easy cleaning, and wipe off any smudges with a Magic Eraser sponge.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, topanga said:

I noticed that too.  Do they really want white or is white the latest thing in all the style magazines and the hunters think unpainted wood is out of date?  

I love wood.  Not maple so much, but oak, walnut, cherry, mahogany, pecan -- who would have thought wood would go out of style?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

What I like best about vintage homes is the tall windows.  I owned a Victorian for awhile.  You could sit on the floor, lean on the windowsill and look out. 

Me, too! I'm too short for this to work particularly well in my downstairs, where the window sills are about 24 inches from the floor, but upstairs they're about 10 inches from the floor, and I love it. (1909 Colonial-type) My cat is a big fan as well.

I really like seeing the houses on this vintage version of the show -- so much better than yet another "Craftsman-style" new build or whatever. But last night's couple were pretty annoying (her in particular). Even if you want to update some things to make them work better for you, it's ridiculous to act shocked and appalled at finding old layouts and materials in vintage homes.

• Love 7

Even if you want to update some things to make them work better for you, it's ridiculous to act shocked and appalled at finding old layouts and materials in vintage homes.

For cripe sake you can view all of these kinds of designs on umpteen websites.  Stop fake acting so appalled at what you should already know is there.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have 42" white shaker style cabinets. I remodeled my kitchen 10 years ago...I was just ahead of the trend or maybe I started it ;)  I went with white (maple) cabinets because I have a very small galley style kitchen with one small window. The original cabinets were 30" oak. The kitchen was very dark and lacked storage. So for a lighter/brighter kitchen with more storage, I went with the white taller cabinets and white appliances.  I also replaced the oak trim and baseboards with white.  I do clean the cabinets frequently though.  I have 2 young children and a husband who works in construction (and around the house on his days off) so the areas around the hardware tend to look dingy/grimey if I don't clean them. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:07 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

So imagine my surprise when I was riding my bike around Columbus, Indiana.  I went down a street to try to peek at the Miller house and saw a house with a swimming pool and no fence.  It had a low-ish hedge, and no gate on the walkway into the back yard with the pool. 

See if this google image works:  https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2263688,-85.9226324,3a,75y,311.72h,77.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s67btwiIEW1yw8m7A6Eb4Lg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is a very nice neighborhood, and I just can't believe the owner is leaving himself open to that kind of liability.  Or the heartache if a kid drowns in your unfenced pool. 

Beautiful Midwest neighborhood.  Thanks for posting it!

It's possible they're using one of the less visible security systems, e.g. removable fence, security pool cover and/or various types of alarm systems. 

Local regulations do vary significantly.  In my own area, no stranger to regulations, they allow 6 different security systems, including both types of fences.

I believe everyone's correct about liability - if/when the worst happens, the homeowner is presumed at fault.

ETA  The Miller home is pretty cool, too!

Edited by aguabella
(edited)
39 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

That neighborhood is gorgeous. Noticed the gate at the end of the road, and the Range River in the driveway.  I wonder if in that community a high hedge can substitute for a fence?  

It wouldn't suffice in mine.  Pretty much anything, e.g. the backyard fence and home itself, IIRC, requires a special alarm.  Here's the resource I recommend regarding pool safety:

https://www.cpsc.gov//Global/Safety Education/Safety-Guides/General-Information/SafetyBarrierGuidelinesResPools.pdf

IIRC, additional booklets with even more specific info about pool covers and fences are also available.

If you're installing / acquiring a pool, the first call, imo, s/b to your insurance carrier.  Besides increased property and liability limits, depending on how your h/o policy is structured, you might need a pool rider.  An umbrella policy is also strongly recommended.  A good agent can probably fill you in on your local regulations.  

You'll want to also contact the local authorities yourself - to insure compliance with any revised / updated regulations.  A good agent can fill you in and get you started but at the end of the day, it's the homeowners' responsibility.

Happy, safe swimming, everyone!

Edited by aguabella
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:15 PM, roseslg said:

I swear I've seen this couple and these houses on a regular HH... 

Haven't had a chance to catch up with these episodes from the dvr.  Funny to read your comment b/c a couple of the episode descriptions (from the dvr guide) reminded me of specific HH, original recipe, episodes.

Q:  Would HH recycle footage, adding in a few new voiceovers and call the episodes "New"?

A:  Oh, yeah!

They did (recently) have their casting group solicit applications but that doesn't mean they reviewed any of them!  Or, they may have used recycled footage to air pilot episodes before incurring additional expense.

??? Just guessing / speculating.  lol ... 

Has reality tv made any of you cynical, too?

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, aguabella said:

Q:  Would HH recycle footage, adding in a few new voiceovers and call the episodes "New"?

A:  Oh, yeah!

I'm so sick of that one Victorian turret they show every single time a hunter mentions they want a Victorian.  They've even recycled it on Vintage Hunters.  Is this the only Victorian turret in the United States?

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Albino said:

I'm so sick of that one Victorian turret they show every single time a hunter mentions they want a Victorian.  They've even recycled it on Vintage Hunters.  Is this the only Victorian turret in the United States?

Me, too - sick of it!  BTW, that Victorian is in Nashville, IIRC, and was toured by the infamous, 3X participant Seana!  Everyone remember her?

They also use a standard mcm home - ugh!

• Love 1

Entitled million-dollar buyers in Marblehead on "Hunting Vintage" were so entitled.  All that shock that houses built 300 years ago were different, that angles weren't perfectly square and doorways didn't go up to the sky.  Of course they bought the biggest one, and Blondie compensated by sticking the hugest stainless steel refrigerator I have ever seen in my life in her new kitchen.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't mind them. Most of the complaints about angles were about the house settling which could mean bigger issues and because the husband literally couldn't stand up in the rooms. And I thought some of the "improvements" made in these houses were awful from the too modern kitchen in one to the claw foot bathtub that made you have to walk sideways to get into the bathroom which was also the only pathway to the other side of the upstairs. They seemed to appreciate their details.

My parents have that fridge and I think it just looked weird because it was out of scale with their temporary kitchen.

The house they chose was also the cheapest by 100k.

Edited by biakbiak

Maybe I'm off in left field, but if I'm going to spend hundreds of thousands on a real vintage house, built in the 1700's to 1800's, I'm not going to put in a kitchen that looks like it's from 2016.  You can buy new appliances that have the look of a vintage house so that you can keep the esthetic going throughout. You can even do a bathroom that looks old, but is completely new and functional.  I'm not sure if I want to see what blondie is going to do to that beautiful house.  She'll probably gut it and make it look modern, ruining the entire look of a vintage house.

Does anyone here know the rules of houses like the ones in Marblehead?  Are there architectural committees that have to approve any changes you do to an historical house?  Would those rules apply to the interior of these homes?

• Love 4

I didn't think this couple was bad. They seemed to know what they were talking about with regard to the older features of the homes, and definitely seemed to appreciate them (the woodwork, floors, fireplaces, beams, etc.), and most of their concerns were about how/whether things would work for them. And some of those things (low ceilings and doorways and really awkward layouts) really did seem unworkable for them. I didn't get the impression that they were going to be gutting things in general, but who knows. I'd like to see them show up on a HH Renovations or Where Are They Now to see what they do with the place. 

While I wouldn't want a super modern-looking kitchen or bathrooms in a house like that, I have a hard time getting too concerned about maintaining authenticity in rooms that, in their original state, functioned quite differently. Was the house they bought the one that had the huge original kitchen fireplace downstairs, and was that where they were moving the kitchen back to? 

Those houses were really, really cool to look at though -- you don't get anything much older than that in the US.

• Love 2

Was the house they bought the one that had the huge original kitchen fireplace downstairs, and was that where they were moving the kitchen back to?

Yes and yes. They were going to turn the current kitchen space into their master bedroom.

The house with the modern kitchen, stupid claw foot tub and extremely awkward layout is still for sale and has had a price reduction.

• Love 1

I appreciate historical houses, but I don't want to live in one.  People who do, must have the means to maintain them properly.  The 3rd house was a nightmare IMO.  I got a bit claustrophobic in that weird upstairs bathroom.  It looked as if it was renovated and added onto by a committee over time.  The husband's family owns a construction business, so it won't cost them as much to renovate as the average person would pay.  I also hope they are on a future HH Renovation episode so we can see what they did to the house.   

• Love 1
On 7/13/2016 at 8:50 PM, aguabella said:

Beautiful Midwest neighborhood.  Thanks for posting it!

It's possible they're using one of the less visible security systems, e.g. removable fence, security pool cover and/or various types of alarm systems. 

Local regulations do vary significantly.  In my own area, no stranger to regulations, they allow 6 different security systems, including both types of fences.

I believe everyone's correct about liability - if/when the worst happens, the homeowner is presumed at fault.

ETA  The Miller home is pretty cool, too!

We have a vacation home with an in ground pool.  My grandfather put in the first version of the pool almost 60 years ago. It has ALWAYS had a fence, progressively higher as codes changed. Now six feet, plus lock on the gate.  My father the lawyer used it as an example of an 'attractive nuisance' and said that legally, as long as you follow all the local laws/codes, anyone circumventing the fence would be trespassing and the owner would not be responsible for any tragedies.  Tho, to hedge our bets, we have an additional insurance rider for the pool on our homeowner's insurance

• Love 1

I love vintage houses, but having lived in many of them over my lifetime, they come with some problems that aren't easy to fix if you don't have expertise and/or lots of cash.  One of the biggest things is the electrical.  Not only is the wiring not designed for the electrical load modern living dictates, these homes also have very, very few outlets in each room.  Sure, you can put a power strip in your living room for your tv, stereo, game system, etc., but if you turn on the lamp, the living room fuse blows, lol.  Don't get me started on bathrooms and kitchens...microwaves and hair dryers tend to blow fuses, too!

• Love 2

Marcellus!!!  from Big Brother!   I liked the guy last night with the conch style house in Key West. He was very "cute".   I have to say after having seen so many HHs in Key West, these 3 houses were very nice!

He did pick the best house for him and he at least admitted to only wanting the conch style exterior and wanting an updated interior.

• Love 1

I love vintage homes, but do not have the means or time to properly maintain one.

I think one of the children of the bow tied lawyer and the interior designer actually asked if the house was haunted.  I think the family still had not moved in at the time of the update.

However, a beautifully kept vintage home is a thing of beauty.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

Marcellus!!!  from Big Brother!   I liked the guy last night with the conch style house in Key West. He was very "cute".   I have to say after having seen so many HHs in Key West, these 3 houses were very nice!

He did pick the best house for him and he at least admitted to only wanting the conch style exterior and wanting an updated interior.

These two guys were great!  I've never seen Big Brother so I had no idea who Marcellus was...what a great sense of humor.

And I learned that "conch" was pronounced "conk" ... not that I've ever had the opportunity to actually say the word.  

I love the mini history lessons that come with every episode too. And the Then & Now pics.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Marcellus!!!  from Big Brother!   I liked the guy last night with the conch style house in Key West. He was very "cute".

I did a double-take when I heard the friend's voice, and thought "no way!" But yup, it was no-need-to-use-the-veto Marcellas! They both seemed happy and cool.

Watching this week's vintage eps, I've come to learn that I don't even notice the smaller flaws in the hunters as long as I'm getting house porn. I love those older homes and thoroughly enjoyed every ep, to the point where I have no interest in the regular domestic HH eps. (I haven't watched them regularly in a while, as anything that says "__ & __ can't agree on--" IMMEDIATE DELETE.) Don't give a crap about manufactured drama or new builds. Nothing wrong with the latter, but they're just blank slugs and utterly interchangeable. At least all the couples this week were able to comment positively on some vintage aspect of the homes rather than wrinkle their entitled noses. HV will be a series recording for sure.

• Love 5

Loved the homes in Hot Springs, and the prices were amazing.  The first two were in surprisingly good shape, and the third house was in pretty good shape except for the basement.  And I did like couple a lot.  They just seemed like a nice, normal couple.  My favorite was the 1939 Tudor, and I was happy they selected it, and got a great price.  BUT, IMHO, the husband's modern art just doesn't fit, ymmv.  

• Love 3

I saw one last night that I really enjoyed.  A gay couple were looking to buy a house in Palm Springs.  They wanted a mid century (20th century) house that has a "pedigree", in other words built by someone well known in the area.  At first that attitude bugged a bit but the couple were actually really down to earth and the things they were looking for made sense given the area and their budget.  And no manufactured drama.  How refreshing!  Each seem to value the others opinion and gave some weight to what the other person was looking for.  I had to check the guide to make sure this was actually House Hunters!

• Love 1

I officially found the worst hipster couple of all time last night.  The woman was a poor man's Selma Blair, and they were looking in New Orleans.  Both her and her spouse were up talkers, and they up talked over each other.  The effect of empty homes with wood floors and high ceilings and uptalk echoing was more than I could bear.  To add insult to injury, they did a remodeling clip at the end where Poor man Selma wore shorts like Roller Girl, and mugged endlessly.   I actually wanted her to hammer her thumb off or something.   

Oh, and over 400k for a one bedroom condo?  In a city with a high crime rate and low wages?  Fuck that noise.  You can get ocean front in many nice parts of south Florida for that kind of shekels.  Shit, 400 K gets you a nice 3 bedroom in Weston. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I officially found the worst hipster couple of all time last night.  The woman was a poor man's Selma Blair, and they were looking in New Orleans.  Both her and her spouse were up talkers, and they up talked over each other.  The effect of empty homes with wood floors and high ceilings and uptalk echoing was more than I could bear.  

I didn't see the episode last night, but was the Hipster Girl obsessed with the house having a "chandy"? 

1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I didn't see the episode last night, but was the Hipster Girl obsessed with the house having a "chandy"? 

Yes.  If you watch,please keep the volume low. 

• Love 1