Type keyword(s) to search

Indian Summers - General Discussion

Milz
  • Start Topic

Zero chemistry is zero chemistry.

Aafrin actually had a tiny (very tiny) bit of personality in his scenes with Sgt. Singh.  He had less then zero chemistry with Alice.  What's the opposite of chemistry?  'Cause that's what he and Alice had.

• Love 3

Aafrin actually had a tiny (very tiny) bit of personality in his scenes with Sgt. Singh.  He had less then zero chemistry with Alice.  What's the opposite of chemistry?  'Cause that's what he and Alice had.

Well.....if we're going that way.....Maybe Sgt. Singh will teach Aafrin that the first place anyone would look for stolen documents is in a box under your bed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Since Alice and Aafrin have zero chemistry together and Cynthia is so stereotypically evil, that leaves Ralph to carry the drama. And it's not believable that an untitled, under-secretary/assistant/whatever Ralph is can even aspire to become Viceroy especially in this world that is "obsessed, obsessed with class".

Those are the four core characters—not the only characters. And there's a three-year time jump, so Alice and Aafrin will presumably be either an established couple or splitsvile.

I hope Alice's husband comes to Simla, and Matthew (now age 14) spends summers with Doug. Are Dougie, Leena, and Adam a family? Are Matthew & Adam friends or rivals? Did Scottish Pete Campbell succeed in business? Is Sooni a lawyer yet?

• Love 3

Those are the four core characters—not the only characters. And there's a three-year time jump, so Alice and Aafrin will presumably be either an established couple or splitsvile.

I hope Alice's husband comes to Simla, and Matthew (now age 14) spends summers with Doug. Are Dougie, Leena, and Adam a family? Are Matthew & Adam friends or rivals? Did Scottish Pete Campbell succeed in business? Is Sooni a lawyer yet?

Something tells me that it's three years later but the plot won't move beyond where we've left off. 

• Love 3

I've never met a spoiler I didn't love--until now.  I was so bummed to learn Mr. Sood was actually going to be executed, I let the last three hours moulder on the DVR all this time.  But then I heard there was a second season, so I shouldered the deathwatch for Mr. Sood.

And I must say, they moved a lot of pieces around the board with that execution!

Scottish Pete Cambell, I apologize for calling you "weak sauce McCleod."  You were staunch, there at the end.

Ralph, I'm in for Series Two just for the hope you'll get what's coming to you.  Be nice to your sister and your Bhupi Schmoopy all you want, I see you.

Aafrin and Miss Whelan:  all that lounging about en dishabille, discussing where their forbidden love might be accepted.  Please.  Is Delhi supposed to be all progressive and cool with couples of disparate race/caste/social standing?  Doubt it.

Agree about the chemistry.  These two are not convincing me that the passion burns so white hot they've lost all sensibility.

I had an inappropriate chuckle at Cynthia's ennui when the execution wasn't jollier.  She is one really bad apple.

I was certain she was going to burn down the club, at the end.

Does she have a winter venue in the south?

I'd like her main man Indian employee to be significant next season.  He could strangle her or effect her downfall in some more subtle fashion.  I don't care, I'm easy.

: )

See you all soon.  "In 2016"!

• Love 1

I never made it through season 1, to be honest. And I live in America, so we don't get it until the fall, I think. :P

I think my mom and I made it to episode 3. We just couldn't follow the storylines and the 8 thousand characters. We have the first episode that came with the last Downton dvd, so maybe we'll give it another shot someday.

All I remember is that the main couple (? Alice and Aafrin?) they were pushing had 0 chemistry together. And Molly Weasley was quite the character. And Alice and her brother had some incest-y vibes going on. And there was a witchy lady (actually I think there was 2 of them) that I think wanted to climb the social ladder.

Without spoilers, I think Season 2 does start off better. They pared down the cast a bit and made the story lines less opaque... But it's really gone off the rails for me in the past couple of episodes. It's a shame that with a good cast and all the money spent on cinematography and sets, the writers can't manage an original story. I'll be interested to see the reception when it airs in the U.S.

• Love 2

I agree that season two has started off better. There have been little things that I have enjoyed in the past few episodes, but not necessarily the main storylines. I do like the cast though. The storylines are not very original at all, but as a whole I do enjoy it. 

Show is cancelled. I am assuming PBS will be airing the second and last series later this year. I hope there is no cliff hanger ending. In general I wish writers wouldn't write cliff hangers if they are not sure they get to resolve them.

• Love 2

Oh good, tonight IS the first episode of the second season.  Pretty hard to keep track--PBS and Directv aren't making any episode distinction beyond "Season Two" and PTV . . . well, you see.

Okay!  Let's see if I can remember who goes where with this jolly bunch.  I want to get back in the groove.

With Aafrin and Alice over, I thought this episode was verrrry focused on the dudes.

Sarah's still as awful as ever. Did they recast her husband?

The scene between Alice and her husband was hard to watch...

(Hi everyone! I watched the first season during the summer.)

• Love 1

I see Aafrin and "Miss Whelan" or whatever her name is now still have zero chemistry.  Aafrin had more chemistry with his female compatriot in a few minutes of air time in this episode than he and "Miss Whelan" have ever had.

Speaking of "Miss Whelan" or "Mrs Havistock" or whatever, I see the show is doubling down on the stupid by having "Miss Whelan" claim for public consumption that she and her husband just recently married in Bombay, and that her husband, for no discernible reason, is going along with this.  The sister of the Viceroy's Private Secretary gets married and there's no peep of it in the papers?  I'm not saying this idiocy led to the series cancellation, but it didn't help.

Speaking of stupid, before Aafrin let the kid go, the one who threw the dummy grenade at the Viceroy, Aafrin should have washed off all the dye or paint or whatever that was on the kid.

And they're still pushing the ludicrous idea that the Viceroy's personal secretary could be the next Viceroy.

3 hours ago, GinnyMars said:

Sarah's still as awful as ever. Did they recast her husband?

He just shaved off his beard.

• Love 2

Aafrin and Alice never had any chemistry but her long missing husband gives me a seriously creepy vibe.  And that thing he did to her with the drink was abusive.  She had left him and he turned up like a bad penny.  Darling Ralphie should focus his attention on that creep.

• Love 2
On 9/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, magdalene said:

Aafrin and Alice never had any chemistry but her long missing husband gives me a seriously creepy vibe.  And that thing he did to her with the drink was abusive.  She had left him and he turned up like a bad penny.  Darling Ralphie should focus his attention on that creep.

Agreed - creepy husband, and that mustache doesn't help.

I'm surprised Ralphie hasn't figured out a way to have the husband killed yet.  Surely, an accident could be arranged.  Elephant stampede, drunken fall off the balcony, kid with a granade...

• Love 5

Blake Ritson is in the house! Whee! He, late of DaVinci's Demons, wherein he played the always-whispering-always-scheming Count Riario. Now playing Mr. Alice.

It's frustrating that Aafrin isn't a better actor. Nobody looks guiltier than he does, all the time.

• Love 4

Usually I'd say Kaira was dead, but if Downton Abbey's Dr. Clarkson should stop by and actually pronounce her dead then I'd say it's just a flesh wound.

The really bad news about Kaira's death is now we'll probably be subject to more Aafrin/Alice -- Aafrice?  Alfrin? -- "romance".

Apparently Aafrin never watched Breaking Bad or he'd know never to choose a half measure when he should have gone all the way.

• Love 2

Hello, Boman.  Hello, Boman's eyebrows!

I'm just catching up (and I have many thoughts, ha) but I have to make an intermediate remark about Sooni's introduction to Boman.

Right before this, I watched a recap of Poldark's first season, so the two shows are having a cumulative effect:  I feel weighed down by how horribly difficult and unfair life has always been for women.  The only sort of half-lighthearted reference to this is Boman's mother conceding that Sooni's LAW DEGREE (yay!) is a good thing . . . because a man finds it more interesting when he has an educated wife to amuse him.

I'm really disappointed there won't be a third season because I think this means they won't have written any just desserts for Ralph and Julie Walters.  They better damn well tell me the secret connection before they go, though!

(Maybe that vile Snidely Whiplash husband character is minor enough to punish.)

• Love 4

I'm not sure I understand the point of the missionary and his wife anymore, though I can't help but crack up whenever the wife is on screen.  The actress plays seethingly indignant so well.

I'm also not sure what Ralphie is doing with his son/houseboy.   Is serving his father and the others while hiding that he is his son supposed to be a benefit to the child?  I guess it is if the boy would be begging on the street instead, but um, Ralphie, how about sending him to SCHOOL???

I predict Snidely Whiplash dies by the end of the season.  Surely, Alice, or one of the men in her life, will make it so.

9 hours ago, candall said:

I feel weighed down by how horribly difficult and unfair life has always been for women.  The only sort of half-lighthearted reference to this is Boman's mother conceding that Sooni's LAW DEGREE (yay!) is a good thing . . . because a man finds it more interesting when he has an educated wife to amuse him

Still, that's better than Sooni being shunned as a prospective daughter-in-law because of her law degree.  There are some mothers in law and men who would see her as not womanly or worse, undesirable because she'd be showing up her husband by being smarter (if the dude didn't have his own degree).  Sooni would do better to actually get to know this law degree holding Boman because he, at least, does not seem threatened by her smarts and independence as far as was shown and might even appreciate her.  Back then - and even today in many parts of the world - a woman without a husband had a precarious position in society and life, and she could do worse than a smart guy who shares her values.  She can always teach him eyebrow grooming, lol.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, izabella said:

I predict Snidely Whiplash dies by the end of the season.  Surely, Alice, or one of the men in her life, will make it so.

I SO hope you are right, Izabella.  He has the look and mannerisms of a sadist.

O/T:  why do the producers not give that poor girl a decent nose-job?  I don't think I've ever seen one so deserving!

By the way, does anyone know what Aafrin's official job is now -- other than Master of Constipated Looks -- since he's no longer Ralph's Chief Clerk?

He said he worked in the Home Secretary's office. (I confess that I really don't know what that means, yet.)

I see we've had the obligatory cricket episode.

Probably what's most notable about last night's episode is that Sooni & Ian have more chemistry then all of the other couples put together.  Therefore, I'm guessing they're doomed.  If there's one thing Indian Summers likes to do is to cut its flowers to water its weeds.

Just how many rooms does Cynthia have?

• Love 3

As gorgeous as this show is, the characters, almost to a man, are horrid and self-serving and back-stabbing when they get a chance.  I find myself screaming at the TV "Rip his balls off!"  "Punch her in the face!", etc, etc.  Very nasty and violent response to this show.  I don't have anyone to root for.

• Love 1

One of the biggest flaws of this show for me is while it looks gorgeous some of the acting is awful.  Not Ralphie and his Pseudo Mommie, those two are played by skilled actors.  But the guy who plays Aafrin isn't any good and especially in contrast to the actor playing his father.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:53 AM, magdalene said:

One of the biggest flaws of this show for me is while it looks gorgeous some of the acting is awful.  Not Ralphie and his Pseudo Mommie, those two are played by skilled actors.  But the guy who plays Aafrin isn't any good and especially in contrast to the actor playing his father.

Not many character actors as fine as Roshan Seth--unfair he's not a household name, he always raises the bar.  (I first wrote "Seth Rogen" and then thought, wait, that's not right.)

I'm not the biggest Rachel Griffith fan, but things are a little pokey, so a maharini/mistress figure with a shady past is a welcome addition.  Especially one who's up to the task of taking on Mrs. Coffin.

Which is more than I can say for Aafrin.  Definitely boxing out of your weight class there, dude.

Alice should have said thank you, taken that key and NEVER used it.

Too bad Sarah's pregnant, as I was prevented from fully hoping she was going to get the hole in the forehead treatment.

What the hell is wrong with Bhupineer?  We've seen him get the weakies about ten times now.  What are we supposed to do with that, show--just file it away for later?  Okay, we got it.

Small detail:  did anyone notice the pink divided staircase at the :51 minute mark that Sarah and missionary man came down (right before we panned around to the bomb)?  The route facing the camera had nine steps, but three of the steps were filled in on the left side, the most likely path, with nothing to prevent you from suddenly taking a HUGE four-riser step down.  I'm used to other countries not having the US molly-coddle/liability concerns, but this thing looked like it would claim shattered leg bones on a regular basis.

(You caught me--I admire the set design more than the characters.)

Edited by candall
  • Love 3
On September 26, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Brattinella said:

As gorgeous as this show is, the characters, almost to a man, are horrid and self-serving and back-stabbing when they get a chance.  I find myself screaming at the TV "Rip his balls off!"  "Punch her in the face!", etc, etc.  Very nasty and violent response to this show.  I don't have anyone to root for.

There's Baapi. He is my absolute favorite now. I was surprised by my reaction when Show did that fake-out with him asleep in the garden (last episode) but appearing as though he died. I was ridiculously sad, and then he woke up. Sigh. I adore Baapi.

• Love 7

I guess I am sitting alone at a table of one? because I like this show. It's got a weird vibe-- strange and convoluted and occurs in a time and place that interests me.

Anyway. Did anyone else think when preacher dude came home he was going to find his wife with a bullet through her brain? I did!

AAfrin is seriously the guiltiest looking person ever! haha! he makes me nervous.-- in a good way. I always think he's going to get caught at whatever nefarious thing he is doing.

I like Alison as well and the odd relationship she has with her brother. I wish the show explored that a bit more. And speaking of Ralph-- he is the character I like the most! Such beautiful eyes. And such a rotter! Haha! he is capable of anything-- and I mean anything! I seem to like characters that have no moral compass.

So the show is being canceled (Or has already been canceled???) after this season?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, taanja said:

I guess I am sitting alone at a table of one? because I like this show. It's got a weird vibe-- strange and convoluted and occurs in a time and place that interests me.

Anyway. Did anyone else think when preacher dude came home he was going to find his wife with a bullet through her brain? I did!

AAfrin is seriously the guiltiest looking person ever! haha! he makes me nervous.-- in a good way. I always think he's going to get caught at whatever nefarious thing he is doing.

I like Alison as well and the odd relationship she has with her brother. I wish the show explored that a bit more. And speaking of Ralph-- he is the character I like the most! Such beautiful eyes. And such a rotter! Haha! he is capable of anything-- and I mean anything! I seem to like characters that have no moral compass.

So the show is being canceled (Or has already been canceled???) after this season?

I'm with you, Taanja. I've quite enjoyed this show, and for many of the same reasons. It's kept me on the edge of my seat a number of times (or quietly screaming "no-o-o-o-o" to myself when I can see where it's going).

Sadly, it has been cancelled. It was planned for 5 seasons and I don't think they were given much notice. I've watched it at UK pace, but held off viewing the last two episodes, so I don't know if they were able to create a non-cliff hanger ending. Boo. :-(

• Love 4

And FYI for American viewers: this may be Dish specific, but I noticed I didn't have an episode scheduled to record on my DVR tonight. Turns out they've changed the name so my Masterpiece Classic season pass didn't catch it. It's now "Indian Summers on Masterpiece" and I had to set up a new pass for it (and even then the DVR didn't consider it a new episode, though I confirmed with the TV guide that indeed it was). Be sure to check your DVRs!

• Love 3

Perhaps Indians Summers could have a spin-off:  Sooni Dalal, Private Investigator.

The episode reminded me a little of No Way Out when the suspects were being drawn by hand and Sooni took the one the drawing that looked like her brother.

If it turns out Naresh Banerjee is alive, color me not shocked.  I just can't decide if Indian Summers is the type of show that would emphasize a character over and over in an episode, only to wrap-up that loose end off screen, or after having proclaimed him dead, would then turn around and say "Surprise!".

I know I should be thankful that Adam prevented Lord Four Weddings and a Funeral from raping Leena, but everything about Adam irritates me.  He really is his father's son.

I'm hoping against hope that Kaiser turns out to be the secret leader of the local independence movement, but I doubt that will happen.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 2

Plot twist! I did not see that coming. It makes perfect sense though that Adam would try and protect Lena and set the guy on fire. Much more interesting, I wonder how it will play out.

• Love 2

Is it wrong that of all the looks featured on the 'fashion parade', the one I really wanted was the sky-blue caftan/turban look? Julie Walters is my spirit animal, I guess

Yes it is wrong. You should want the black one that Alice wore with such defiance.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, skyways said:

Yes it is wrong. You should want the black one that Alice wore with such defiance.

Haha! Yes the black one was lovely! And I want Alison to kill that smarmy husband of hers. Seriously. I want it to be at her hand.  and I want her to get away with it.

Ralph fucking the Not Wallis Simpson character was hilarious! Was that the same staircase/balcony where Aafrin was kissing Alison and the old servant saw her? Oh and Ralph's wife looks like a rabbit with no eyelashes.

How long is it taking preacher man to pack and move? Cuz isn't there a bomb hidden somewhere in that house? He needs to get out fast!

and color me surprised that Adam set that dude on fire before he could rape Lena! I can't wait to watch ole Ralphie twist himself into knots trying to protect the boy. At least I think he will? Ralph is a hard character to predict.

***Is her name Alice or Alison????

Edited by taanja
because reasons
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, taanja said:

Haha! Yes the black one was lovely! And I want Alison to kill that smarmy husband of hers. Seriously. I want it to be at her hand.  and I want her to get away with it.

I want it to happen at the club, right in the middle of one of his humiliating riffs on Alice that he thinks are so funny and clever. And then everyone will applaud and toast Alice. I want it to happen just like that.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, taanja said:

How long is it taking preacher man to pack and move? Cuz isn't there a bomb hidden somewhere in that house? He needs to get out fast!

Wow, I forgot about that. Longest fuse ever.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 2:33 PM, taanja said:

I think everyone here loves it.  It's certainly easy enough to skip if you don't--I was making coffee at 3 a.m. to make sure I caught this episode on a PBS station that's all comme ci, comme ça about schedules.

(But that doesn't prevent me from criticizing the characters, ha!)

SOONI!!!  Why would anyone think twice about confiding in YOU?  You do such a good job keeping those (hanging offense!) secrets to yourself--until you blurt them out three minutes later to the first person you see.  And she has the nerve to say, "You mustn't tell anyone"?  Smack.

When Leena was talking about "grabbing a rope that comes your way," I was trying to decide if she would really be better off getting herself re-located to England, where Lord Salivating was (obvious to everyone) planning to jump her.  Chances were 100% that was going to happen, with nearly the same guarantee she would be fired and out on the street with no money and no references.  And while we know women in that position, at the time, ended up prostitutes in Whitehall and dying of tuberculosis, did she?   Maybe better to try to keep the governess jobs going in India.  At least if you wind up unemployable and starving, it's warm.

Oh well, moot point.  They did excellent work with that story.  Showing Missionary Man made me think, "OH.  Right.  She didn't do it at all!"  And then, the boy.  Triple twist.

I feel so grateful for any answers they're willing to give me.  Learning this was planned for five seasons instead of two, I despair of ever knowing what happens with most of the stories, but I do hope to have the satisfaction of seeing Alice's horrible husband reap the full extent of his karma. 

All the other evil people have their ulterior motives, but he just relishes inflicting pain.

I wonder if Mrs. Ralph is wearing contacts, I've never seen such pale eyes.  They're almost the color of water.

Julie Walters is so boss--knock-knock barging in, handwaving the black tar opiate habit in progress and handing over the opened telegraph.  I guess we'll never know her full story, but I like the way she's measuring Alice's husband.  Engineering his downfall would be a nice bit of redemption for Mrs. Coffin.

Edited by candall
  • Love 4
On 10/2/2016 at 2:28 PM, BookThief said:

And FYI for American viewers: this may be Dish specific, but I noticed I didn't have an episode scheduled to record on my DVR tonight. Turns out they've changed the name so my Masterpiece Classic season pass didn't catch it. It's now "Indian Summers on Masterpiece" and I had to set up a new pass for it (and even then the DVR didn't consider it a new episode, though I confirmed with the TV guide that indeed it was). Be sure to check your DVRs!

On 10/2/2016 at 8:12 PM, howiveaddict said:

Book Thief,  My dish network did that too. Also it is now Poldark on Masterpiece.  Glad I caught it before they didn't record.

I missed this episode for this reason.  I had my DVR set to record Masterpiece, all new episodes, from Downton Abbey through Hot Vicar and Indian Summers for YEARS, and NOW they change the name?!?  Fortunately, when I went to make sure it would pick up Poldark, I noticed the name change & was able to catch it.  Indian Summers changed in the middle of Series 2, and it doesn't look like this episode is scheduled to play again. :o(

Oops.  Edited to note that Grantchester wasn't Masterpiece, but Wallander was.

Edited by Kath94