Type keyword(s) to search

Characters You Love To Hate...or just flat-out hate

• Start Topic

You know, the character who pisses you off every time you watch a movie regardless of how many times you've seen it.

A few of mine :

. Waingro (Heat) - psychotic and a screw up. Every time I watch it, I can't help but mutter "Fuckin Waingro..." at the screen when he first appears

. Paulie (the Rocky series) - What a dick...never understood how Rocky resisted knocking his teeth out.

. Albert/Mister (The Color Purple) - terrifying and cruel...I had a strong aversion to Danny Glover for years after seeing this movie.

• Love 2

The first one that jumps to my mind (and I'm sure I'll be back with more) is Susannah from Legends of the Fall.  What an insipid character.  She should have left the house after Samuel died, and definitely after Tristan told her to find someone else.  And when she does, that someone was the third brother?  I mean, I know it was a completely different era, but was there no one she could live with?  A parent or other relative, a girlfriend......anyone?  It was also insulting that she went from one brother to another and I can't for the life of me understand why Alfred wanted after she so obviously longed for Tristan.  Now, Tristan wasn't any treasure, but, looking at his situation through the our modern day lens, I can understand how hard he was battling with PTSD.  I even understood Alfred's anger and jealously towards Tristan.  But Susannah? Ugh. I felt nothing when she killed herself.

• Love 7

Irene Forsyte from The Forsyte Saga. The 2002 version starring Damian Lewis. She was an utterly selfish and unsympathetic character, despite the story wanting us to see her as a victim. She was so self-involved and uncaring. Cheating with her friend's fiancé. Said friend forgives her, because the story has all the characters fawning over her, and she can do no wrong. She then goes on to have a relationship with her friend's father. It was too much for me. The man who abused you wants a divorce, give it to him! I felt like Judge Judy watching this show. If you have an opportunity to cut an unwanted person out of your life, then take it! Don't involve yourself in games and bullshit, then claim that this person is being terrible to you.

She was a cold leech, yet the show wanted the viewer to side with her. Well I did not.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 4

Mary Jane in the Spiderman movies. Kirsten Dunst and Sam Raimi took the cool girl from the comics and turned her into a whiny, fickle, insipid bitch.

I really, really can't stand Mary Jane in those movies, and while for awhile I thought it was Kirsten Dunst's acting, I realized I actually like her in other movies, so I concluded it must be the writing. I've often thought that my perfect Spider-Man movie would be Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man with Emma Stone's Mary Jane. I do not know what it is about Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man, but I was not impressed with his interpretation.

It's a multitude of characters, but everyone who isn't Sarah Jessica Parker in The Family Stone is a horrible human being.

• Love 10

I know I'm supposed to love and admire Diane Keaton as the mom in The Family Stone, but if I had to pick one character I truly hate from that movie, it would be her.

You know it's bad when

the character is dying

and you still don't feel anything for them.  She and Rachel McAdams were the absolute worst in that movie.

• Love 6

I hated hated hated William H. Macy's character in Fargo. He hires two criminals to kidnap his wife so that he can scam her father. Fucking scumbag. Between him and Lester from the TV series, I don't know who I hated more. They were both despicable cowards that took zero responsibility for their crimes.

And before I forget, Daisy from The Great Gatsby. She was the absolute worst. Let's her boyfriend take the fall for a murder she committed and doesn't even have the guts (or common decency) to go even send flowers to his funeral. She and Tom deserved each other.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

I really, really can't stand Mary Jane in those movies, and while for awhile I thought it was Kirsten Dunst's acting, I realized I actually like her in other movies, so I concluded it must be the writing. I've often thought that my perfect Spider-Man movie would be Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man with Emma Stone's Mary Jane. I do not know what it is about Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man, but I was not impressed with his interpretation.

It's a multitude of characters, but everyone who isn't Sarah Jessica Parker in The Family Stone is a horrible human being.

Wasn't Emma Stone playing Gwen Stacey and not Mary Jane Watson?

The only character I liked besides SJP was Luke Wilson.

I hated Donald Faison when he played Sanaa Lathan's brother in Something New.  He acted like a dick when she introduced him to her landscape architect boyfriend played by Simon Baker.  I guess he wasn't supposed to like him because he was white, had dirty hands, and wasn't professional because he was a landscaper.  I haven't liked Faison since then. 

The first character who came to mind was Dolores Umbridge in the 5th and 7th Harry Potter books and movies. I hated her worse than I hated Voldemort. Voldemort was a fantasy villain but I've known people like Umbridge--the "teacher" and school administrator from hell. The epitome of the non-teacher/politician who comes into your classroom and tells you how to do your job.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 6

I've never been able to abide Tony Stark.  In Iron Man 3, when he had the idiotic hubris to tell his enemy (not to mention the public at large) where he lived, I silently wished for his demise (as long as Pepper wasn't home). I really don't understand what Pepper sees in the obnoxious bastard.   

Albert/Mister (The Color Purple) - terrifying and cruel...I had a strong aversion to Danny Glover for years after seeing this movie.

Dude! When it turns out he hid all those letters from Celie? For decades? He was a hateful man anyway, but that just put it over the top for me. Celie threatening him with that knife was everything.    

Hate is too strong a word for kids, but I actively disliked the older nephew from Jurassic World. I did kind of hate Claire's sister, though. 

• Love 1

I've never been able to abide Tony Stark.  In Iron Man 3, when he had the idiotic hubris to tell his enemy (not to mention the public at large) where he lived, I silently wished for his demise (as long as Pepper wasn't home). I really don't understand what Pepper sees in the obnoxious bastard.  

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one!

I've never been able to abide Tony Stark.  In Iron Man 3, when he had the idiotic hubris to tell his enemy (not to mention the public at large) where he lived, I silently wished for his demise (as long as Pepper wasn't home). I really don't understand what Pepper sees in the obnoxious bastard.

Well, his bodyguard and friend Happy had been almost killed so he was pretty pissed off at the time and not thinking clearly. Besides I don't think his address was that big a secret. He's had big parties with lots of people there before and also Rebecca Hall's character found him pretty easily.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I know I'm supposed to love and admire Diane Keaton as the mom in The Family Stone, but if I had to pick one character I truly hate from that movie, it would be her.

Preach.  Whenever anyone lists that as one of their favorite Christmas movies, I feel compelled to ask them why they hate Christmas.

Daisy from The Great Gatsby was horrible as well, but at least I got the impression she was supposed to be.  

I hate the parents in Frozen.  "Hey, our daughter has powers. Let's never let her see another human being ever again! That'll fix everything!"

Well, his bodyguard and friend Happy had been almost killed so he was pretty pissed off at the time and not thinking clearly. Besides I don't think his address was that big a secret. He's had big parties with lots of people there before and also Rebecca Hall's character found him pretty easily.

I think there's a difference between potentially a few hundred people attending a party at your home, and stating your address on camera for anyone with access to the news to hear.  Also, if the woman you claim to love lives with you, it's the height of recklessness to put her in danger because you're in your feelings and out for revenge.  Stark gets zero sympathy from me when he's paraded around the fact that he's Iron Man from the beginning.  People who know you and associate with you are automatically at risk because of that. To actively court danger in that context is infantile.  Stark is an ass, and I've never understood the appeal.

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one!

You are not alone!

Edited by ribboninthesky1

I despised Julienne Moore's character in Crazy Stupid Love. She cheats on her husband, wants to speed right to a divorce, and spends most of the movie acting like she never did anything wrong. SHE should have been the one to make the grand speech at the end, instead of sitting her looking like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

• Love 5

Anyone besides me hate Jenny from Forrest Gump? I'm sure she loved Forrest in a way, but not at all in the way that I'd believe for a second that she wanted to marry him for any other reason than she needed someone to take care of their son when she died. I don't think she would've even told him about little Forrest if she wasn't sick.

• Love 7
I think there's a difference between potentially a few hundred people attending a party at your home, and stating your address on camera for anyone with access to the news to hear.  Also, if the woman you claim to love lives with you, it's the height of recklessness to put her in danger because you're in your feelings and out for revenge.  Stark gets zero sympathy from me when he's paraded around the fact that he's Iron Man from the beginning.  People who know you and associate with you are automatically at risk because of that. To actively court danger in that context is infantile.  Stark is an ass, and I've never understood the appeal.

I think those hundreds of people would probably be bragging about knowing online about where Iron Man lives Again There's also Stark Tower and Stark Industries. So it's not like he would be hard to find. We know Killian is the real villain and he probably with all his resources always knew where Tony is. I don't think he was watching Tony's threat going "Aha! Now I know where he lives!"

Stark gets zero sympathy from me when he's paraded around the fact that he's Iron Man from the beginning.  People who know you and associate with you are automatically at risk because of that. To actively court danger in that context is infantile.  Stark is an ass, and I've never understood the appeal.

At the time when Iron Man came out that he dispensed with the whole secret identity thing. There weren't the usual games of having to lie and trying to find a cover story you get with superheroes. At the time he was not dating Pepper so she went into that relationship knowing full well the dangers and yes he was arrogant but then he had a right to be. As an Avenger he fought an army of aliens and by himself he went toe to toe with a God, so of course he thinks he can take down the Mandarin.  As to why people like him, speaking for myself it's that with all his cockiness, Tony is a brilliant inventor. My favorite parts of the Iron Man movies was his building the suits.

• Love 1

So it's okay for him to knowingly put Pepper at risk because she knows he's Iron Man? Tony Stark has a right to be arrogant? Yeah, I'll just agree to disagree.  My Stark loathing stands.  

As for people bragging about where Tony lives or the Mandarin previously having this information, that's speculation, as far as I know.  What I saw in the film was Tony telling the world and the Mandarin his address for some asinine reason. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
So it's okay for him to knowingly put Pepper at risk because she knows he's Iron Man? Tony Stark has a right to be arrogant? Yeah, I'll just agree to disagree.

What? I didn't say that. I said he has the right to be arrogant because he's faced and defeated many threats so I get why he thinks he can challenge the Mandarin. And of course it's not okay to put Pepper at risk but she went into a relationship with him knowing he is doing a dangerous thing that could get her killed. It already had before she got romantically involved when she was almost killed by Jedediah Stane. After that she could have said "I'm done." and nobody would blame her. She was just his assistant then. She also risked death when Justin Hammer's drones run amok but after that she's like "I love you and want to be with you."

As for people bragging about where Tony lives or the Mandarin previously having this information, that's speculation, as far as I know.  What I saw in the film was Tony telling the world and the Mandarin his address for some asinine reason.

Again, it's because Happy was nearly killed and also a bunch of innocent people. He was pissed and not thinking clearly. The next scene he's trying to find the Mandarin using CIA and SHIELD and trying to reconstruct the blast site with the help of J.A.R.V.I.S. Indicating Tony doesn't think the Mandarin is going to take his challenge and that he's going to hidden. And Pepper is at the house. She doesn't go "Are you insane? You told him our address?! I'm getting out of here!"

Edited by VCRTracking

VCRTracking, you're explaining things to me like I've not seen the Iron Man films.  I have. I know what happened in all of them.  I used an example from the last film to highlight why I don't like Tony Stark, but in general, I've never liked the character and am entitled to my opinion about him.  

• Love 2

Pretty sure that someone like Tony Stark with his giant mansions wouldn't be hard to find. In The Bling Ring, they showed how easy it is to just find out where celebrities live and these weren't anywhere near as high profile as someone like Tony Stark would be.

Major Duncan Heywood, in The Last of the Mohicans (1992 version). I don't care what he did toward the end. Hated him; his paternalistic attitude toward Cora, assuming they would marry, even though she told him she didn't have those feelings, etc.  And just for being an ass. 

• Love 3

I don't know that I'll ever had a character as much as Susannah on LotF, but there are others.  Another one who came to mind is Mia, the secretary in Love Actually.  I don't like anyone pursuing someone who is married, but there's something about her and her behavior in particular that makes me cringe whenever I see her.  I just can't stand that character.

• Love 7

Magneto in the X-men prequels. Why the hell didn't someone just plug that bastard at some point? They *always* give him the benefit of the doubt, and he *always* turns on them eventually. It just got to the point where watching him was a chore.

• Love 2

Ronald Coleman's brother in Frank Capra's Lost Horizon(played in the 70s musical remake by Michael York). Man what was this guy's problem? They find themselves in this hidden paradise of Shangri-La, this peaceful paradise where everyone is happy and content, but for some inexplicable reason he hates it so much he wants to bomb it out of existence? I do almost feel sorry for what happens to him a the end. Almost. What happens is his own damn fault.

Edited by VCRTracking

Kit Keller in A League of Their Own - all around awful and the ending totally ruins the movie

When I was much younger, I would have had nothing but empathy for Kit. I, too, have a "perfect" older sister (though I'm relieved to say my parents never played favorites, unlike the ones in the movie) and I used to feel I was living in her shadow. I used to grumble at how easy she seemed to have it, and I used to curse "overachievers" and the like. 

Then I grew up.

And you know what? I learned that it wasn't my sister's fault I was a loser (or felt like one), it was my fault. I never did anything, never applied myself, and seething with resentment at high achievers certainly wasn't making me one. 

That's what pissed me off about Kit and A League of Their Own in general; Kit is a damned adult, but she still acts like a bratty kid who refuses to grow up, own her faults, and realize that Dottie is a pretty great person, and the movie frames her as worthy of our sympathy and admiration. Screw that noise! I thought she was a whiny little idiot (it doesn't help that I could never stand Lori Petty) and a mediocre ball player to boot. 

• Love 7

As I've said elsewhere, I love every minute of A League of Their Own ... right up until Dottie drops the ball.  I hate Kit.  She's nothing more than a crybaby who needs to grow up, so I'm completely at a loss as to why I'm supposed to be happy this horrible character (and a bunch of characters we don't know) won.  I'm not.  I'm bummed for the Peaches.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
I hate the parents in Frozen.  "Hey, our daughter has powers. Let's never let her see another human being ever again! That'll fix everything!"

Not the first time I've heard this.  I give them a bit of a pass since

the real ones at fault are the writers.  The script went through so many rewrites that some elements don't make sense with the story changes.  Elsa was supposed to become a villian originally and her parents wanted to try to keep her under a tight rein.

The entire Family Stone was terrible, but there's a special place in hell for Everett. He lets his family treat Meredith like crap, does nothing to stand up for her, and tosses her over for her younger sister after he just met her.

Oh, and the whole Christmas Day fiasco, when Meredith mistakenly thinks he's proposing and tells him she can't marry him, the way he says "I wasn't going to ask you" made me want to kick him in the balls. A gentleman would have just kept quiet and gone along with it by saying "Okay, I understand" to spare her any further humiliation. But clearly he was too much of an asshole to let her keep her dignity.

And the fact that even after all this, Meredith feels obligated to apologize to him when she didn't even do anything wrong (except having different opinions than him and his family) makes me see red.

• Love 6

We've talked here (and elsewhere) before about the awful Kit in A League of Their Own, and now I want to complain about her some more.  Last night I watched the movie from the beginning for the first time in many years -- I generally catch it when it's already at least half an hour underway.  

They're playing some little cross-town game for their dairy's team, and Dottie tells Kit the other team's pitcher is throwing high ones no one can hit, so since Kit has a problem with those to begin with, she shouldn't swing at them.  So, of course, Kit promptly ignores this and strikes out.  But their team wins off of Dotty's subsequent hit.  What does Kit do?  Celebrate with her team?  No, of course not.  She whines and pouts because it was Dotty, instead of her, with the winning hit. 

And, of course, she only turns into more of a crybaby once they're playing professionally.

I hate her.  I wish she'd crawled back under a cow like Jon Lovitz suggested, because the movie would be terrific without her.

• Love 6

I flat out HATE-and I mean I want to kick her spoiled brat, self-absorbed ass of Tia, in Uncle Buck. Not that I liked her mother, either, the way she showed contempt for Buck and tried to pretend he wasn't part of the family by folding the wedding pictures so that he wasn't shown and her general attitude...wait. I hate both of them, but I hate Tia more. The shit she pulled on Buck with his girlfriend.

I did so love how Buck didn't put up with her bullshit though.

I miss John Candy.

• Love 4

I flat out HATE-and I mean I want to kick her spoiled brat, self-absorbed ass of Tia, in Uncle Buck. Not that I liked her mother, either, the way she showed contempt for Buck and tried to pretend he wasn't part of the family by folding the wedding pictures so that he wasn't shown and her general attitude...wait. I hate both of them, but I hate Tia more. The shit she pulled on Buck with his girlfriend.

I did so love how Buck didn't put up with her bullshit though.

I miss John Candy.

See, I don't know, Tia is a bitch, no doubt, but the mother is worse. At least Tia redeems herself in the end, the mother remains a cold bitch who cares about no one but herself.

• Love 1

Like I said, I hated them both; but I hated Tia more, since she was in the whole movie. Mom was more of a guest appearance. If she had been in the entire movie, I'd hate them both equally.

And I wasn't that much older than Tia when this movie came out, and even then, I just wanted to kick her ass, bash her head and generally beat her up, her attitude pissed me off so much.  Trying to act like she wasn't the spoiled teenager she was, by "drinking" that coffee that she found disgusting as if to prove something to Buck.

The best part of this movie, though, was Buck telling off that principal? Vice principal? and threatening to come back, if she dared to write up another child for being a...child. And then telling her to go find a rat that could gnaw off the mole on her face.  Yes, I derived great pleasure from that scene.

• Love 3

Kevin Lomax in The Devil's Advocate was an utter douchebag. He didn't care that his clients were guilty, all he cared about was his precious winning streak. He even neglects his own wife when he KNOWS she's losing her mind. And why? Because he'd "resent" her for making him give up his case. Asshole.

It's amazing that his character was way more despicable than Al Pacino's Devil.

• Love 3

Re-watching Into the Woods, and, boy, does my hatred for Jack just increase with each viewing. I don't care if he is a kid; he's petulant, useless, reckless, and dumber than a sack of hammers. Criminy, how many times does his poor mother have to tell him that Milky White's female (come to think of it, why do most people have to be reminded that cows are female, and bulls are male?)? I can't tell you how unfair it is

Spoiler

that Jack's mom, the giants, and the Baker's Wife die, and vile, punchable Jack is allowed to live.

• Love 1