Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Shirin Oskooi

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Did Shirin really say that???

Yep. Believe me, I dont follow Shitrin on Twitter. I only knew about it bc Sucks was having a meltdown about it. I not only saw a screenshot of it but saw that it was still on Shitrin's twitter account as of yesterday.

PG was calling Spencer out for comparing Abi to cancer or saying Abi should get cancer (I looked at Spencer's twitter and didn't see the tweet, so he might have deleted it).  It's a game folks.  And Shirin, again honey, you suck at it.  Woo and Jeff both pointed out why.

PG was calling Spencer out for comparing Abi to cancer or saying Abi should get cancer (I looked at Spencer's twitter and didn't see the tweet, so he might have deleted it).  It's a game folks.  And Shirin, again honey, you suck at it.  Woo and Jeff both pointed out why.

I think Spencer had an aired confessional last night were he said that Abi is like a deadly cancer. That might be what Peih-Gee is referring to.

I think Spencer had an aired confessional last night were he said that Abi is like a deadly cancer. That might be what Peih-Gee is referring to.

PG mentioned this before the episode.  I think he did say something along those lines, but I was surprised PG brought it up before hand.

Shirin made it sound like Terry was ganging up on Abi... and Shirin came to her defense.  As we saw in the episode, the opposite was true.
No, it wasn't. They were two separate incidences. The first has been elaborated on and confirmed and it was exactly like Shirin presented it. The second we saw and we all have our own opinions on it.

If Shirin saying that Abi has chlamydia is her way of being "perfectly nice on Twitter", then I'll take nasty anyday.
Are you referring to the "surely it has to do with this. Or chlamydia." above an Investment Banker graph? Because I am honestly not seeing how that can reasonably interpreted as Shirin saying Abi has chlamydia.
  • Love 3

Are you referring to the "surely it has to do with this. Or chlamydia." above an Investment Banker graph? Because I am honestly not seeing how that can reasonably interpreted as Shirin saying Abi has chlamydia.

Yes, that is the tweet. It was in response to "What Jeff sees in Abi." Seems "perfectly nice" to me.

• Love 1

It seems to me that Shirin could benefit from a little bit more close study of the Survivor greats.  Kim Spradlin is the best to ever play, or thereabouts; everyone should think, while playing, "what would Kim do?"  When it comes to Twitter, we don't even need to speculate, because we know what Kim in fact did: she kept her Twitter on private for the entirety of the show.  Let all future contestants learn from this deep and important bit of wisdom.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 7

After watching Shirin's Day After video, I also think one of her big problems this time was thinking that the VERY FIRST VOTE was a good time to make a big move and take out a "strategic threat."  And that's what she's most proud of?   Coming in with guns a-blazin' and taking out Vytas?  Enjoy your time together at Losers' Lounge you crazy kids.

I get that these Second-Timers are more likely to play the long-game, but that is still an unnecessary and dumb move.

• Love 2

Shirin says that after her torch was snuffed, she turned around and told everyone that Terry had the idol. She says that she was trying to help Spencer, but if I were him I'd be furious with her. He just gave a big speech about how he'll be a team player and work to make connections with these people, and his closest ally immediately throws someone under the bus on her way out of the game. That is not helping him. Choosing Terry of all people, who everyone knows isn't sneaky or cunning, seems more vindictive than strategic. Wouldn't it make more sense to accuse someone like Jeff? Terry will just deny it, and there's no reason not to believe him. He doesn't have a reputation as a skilled liar.

Apparently Jeff Probst let her continue on for a while. I am going to assume that it accomplished little since they didn't show it.

Shirin has said in all of her interviews that she was emotional drained from WA and that she really wasn't ready to play this season. She thought she was but the finale dredged up crap and she didn't have time to deal with it.

Which goes back to one of my themes for this season. It should have been Second Chances limited to people who have not been invited back and who played at least three years ago. There are more then enough people who were available and willing to play who have not played in the last three years. Give the most recent players a chance to breath especially when you know the vast majority of them are people that TPTB were planning to bring back any way.

Try and put together a tribe of people from seasons 1-12 and another 13-25. Let the fun begin! Those are the folks who probably would not get to come back again so focus on them. Instead we have a good number of oflks from recent seasons which I think is actually going to hurt them.

• Love 8

Totally agree with your post ProfCrash.  It's disappointing that Shirin not only took a slot from someone else on the ballot to be considered, but that she got voted on and took a spot from someone else that may have been more 'there' and not zoned out.  While I do believe her, at the same time, I think it's also a cop out for why she failed again at this game.  They had way too many people on the ballot from WA and SJDS alone, and what I didn't like was that Mike and Carolyn were up for consideration, even though one of them was likely going to be ineligible.  And it screwed Carolyn, because she wasn't allowed to go out and campaign like the others.  There are so many people from older seasons that said they were disappointed they weren't considered that I would have loved to see return (and it seemed many fans also agreed).  I think having a few seasons would have made all the difference for someone like Joe, who is likely a goner at the first opportunity.

I'm actually surprised Jeff let her continue on her rant.  I'm also surprised they didn't show any snippet of it, considering we know Kelley has the idol.  One interview I saw Shirin said she also did that for Kelley's benefit, too.  Little did show know...

In her interviews Shirin has straight up said she did not like Terry even before she got to the beach. She also complains he would not do deals with her (shades of BB Vanessa.) she also did not like Wigglesworth who Shirin alleged complained about everything all the time. Although Shirin admitted she screwed up, she didn't really say she should have gone down and talked to Abi as she sat alone on the beach. I do wonder if it would have helped by that time. Abi could already have been wounded and lashed out at Shirin for not defending her in the moment.

For me, Shirin wanted a big scalp too soon. She is critical of terry for wanting to keep the tribe strong because she interprets that as voting out the women, but who knows? If they had kept Vytas perhaps they wouldn't have been at tribal council again.

• Love 1

Shirin's problem is Shirin.  She has a problem with anyone who didn't vote with her or who turned on her.  I think she is a man hater when it comes to this game, she came back way too soon, she sucks at this game, and I hope she does not get a third chance.  She's so critical it seems of anyone not named Spencer out there.  Though I haven't heard her say anything bad about Wentworth.  She reminds me of the person that needs the shield but wants to be calling the shots and taking charge behind that shield.  Honestly, had she kept Vytas, they might have won this week.  And it is possible Vytas may have gotten himself eliminated this week anyway.  She played too hard, too fast.  Actually, she got outplayed.  I've noticed that while she does blame herself, she doesn't come right out and say she's bad at this game.  It's everything that happened last season and everyone else this season that caused drama that are responsible.  She does say maybe targeting Vytas like she did was a bad idea.  That's the only thing where she seems to admit she went wrong.  At least Vytas could ponder the thought that he might actually suck, and that Aras was the only reason he did well the last time.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

She doesn't seem to like men with authority such as Terry or Vytas. That's why she sucks at Survivor. Outside of the game I think it's normal to feel that way but in a Survivor you need to be able to work with it. In the early days of Aof the game you need the strength in the challenges. They should have kept Vytas and gotten rid of Abi, if she was such a problem. I'm not sure if she would/could have worked with the other tribe with Savage or Jeremy either. She might have been fine with Joe but I'm not so sure if Joe would have wanted to be saddled with her. All in all, she may be a super fan on paper but actually playing the game she ain't that good.

• Love 1

She doesn't seem to like men with authority such as Terry or Vytas. That's why she sucks at Survivor. Outside of the game I think it's normal to feel that way but in a Survivor you need to be able to work with it.

Other than Vytas saying it, I don't understand where this notion of her not liking "men with authority" comes from (I believe Vytas said "men in authority")  much less her not liking men.  Also, I'm not sure how Vytas has decided that he is a man in/with authority over her.  Further, I don't really understand that it would be "normal" for her, as a woman with a lot of authority outside the game to feel as though she couldn't relate to men in/with authority or, for that matter, men who are her subordinates as I assume she's up there on the organizational charts based on her real world success.

Shirin overplayed the game both times.  She had problems with some men and some woman.  She got along with some men and some women. She made a lot of mistakes in both games.  I don't think this means we can psychologically profile her in the manner that many seem to want to do.

I thought she got hoisted by her own petard this past episode.  I also might never get along with her, but that's as much on me as her.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 7

I don't understand. Terry is accused of making a bigoted remark, which obviously means Shirin is a liar. Varner vouches that the words were said, therefore Varner must be a big fat bitter lying loser like Shirin. This Redmond guy claims it's true, and although he apparently has great sources, he's just lying too, and a greedy good for nothing for wanting to write a book for money (unlike everyone else who writes books for free). Now possibly Kelley and Abi have confirmed Shirin was telling the truth - Shirin is a nasty bitch because everyone knows bigots get free passes when they have a sick kid. And oh yeah - she's obviously a man hater. The classic tactic to dismiss a woman and negate anything she has to say.

PG brings up something Spencer said about Abi - it's just a game people.

Now wild accusations that Shirin is saying Abi has chlamydia. Gonna need some proof on that one.

And if you answer a question honestly, you obviously have ulterior motives, you didn't have to answer the question (but wouldn't that make her an ungrateful bitch who doesn't respect Survivor fans), and your answer was not innocent.

What's next? I'm guessing Shirin will be accused of wishing organ failure on Terry's kid.

It's just a game.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 9

Yes, it is a game. That's why I crack up when people like Eliza spew their hate for people in the game just because she's friends with Fishabach (who I happen to really like). Shirin was playing a game down to the bitter end by lying about Dietz having an idol to supposedly help Spencer & Kelley. I still haven't heard if that was true or not. Either way, it's all a game and this season seems to be a lot more emotional (sort of like All-Stars) because almost everyone knows this is most likely their last (second) chance to win the million. Personally, I don't like Shirin (which is weird since I don't know her) and, I don't think she's very good at the game. That said, it is just a game and I hope everyone (this cast) has no hard feelings in the end. I don't even think Shirin was that upset in her interviews. So, if she's okay with it so am I.

• Love 2

This Redmond guy claims it's true, and although he apparently has great sources, he's just lying too.

That was interesting to me as well.  When I posted his piece backing up Shirin's story about treemailgate, as you noted, lots of folks jumped in to question his reliability.  However, when I posted the three tribe new alliances from his site in the spoiler thread, there was no question of his reliability. Go figure.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 5

I saw his Twitter about the 3 tribe names but didn't open it. I hate being spoiled by anything on Survivor. Which is odd since it's going to be known in 6 days. Also, I had forgotten he was the one who spun up this whole thing with Shirin. I wish they would ban the use of social (Twitter) media. There always seems to be some problem with one cast member or another. I liked it when you didn't hear a peep from them until their exit interview. It was more of a surprise. IMO!!!

• Love 1

I believe Varner over Redmond, who I think has admitted he can only go by what his sources say-and they may be lying to him.  Regardless, I think it was as much getting a dig in at Terry as much as it may have been answering someone's question.  Whatever the case, it wasn't aired for a reason, just like Shirin falsely telling the tribe Terry had the idol (which I think she might have believed, as she said he had been looking).

I agree about the SM ban.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Having said all of that, Shirin is really bad on twitter (and in interviews).. ..not that she lies, just that she lacks diplomacy (as do so many others....so far this season,  "Hi Vytas!")).  I was more getting to the notion that some have decided she is a manhater and a liar, of which, I've seen no evidence. And she evokes a level of anger I'm not sure I fully understand.

Thanks for the back and forth here folks!  I think we do it okay.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

Shirin has a million excuses for why she keeps failing at Survivor but I think it comes down to her just not being a nice enough person to win.  Sure there have been not-nice winners but they were at least good at faking niceness.  The best ones, like Kim, are naturally nice to others and don't have to sit down and have a brain busting strategy session to figure out what would come naturally to most people.  Like, don't throw your head back laughing and thigh slapping over Peih Gee's Abi imitation while Abi is watching.  Like; don't watch Abi crying on the beach for hours without going down and sitting beside her.

Here's something Shirin told People:

My mistake with Woo was that I overestimated him. I gave him the benefit of the doubt; I assumed that his cluelessness was just an act. I was deeply, deeply wrong.

Not nice.  Then she goes on to say Woo kept bringing up Shirin's saying that she had made her first million at age 25. Now, Shirin thinks it was a strategic mistake to tell people that,  when what it is mostly is a niceness mistake.  Don't brag about your money to people who don't have any.

Shirin will be going over her strategic mistakes forever and telling interviewers she was too emotionally raw to play this time, but she may never realize that it's not her strategy or emotions she needs to work on.

• Love 11

What I read was Shirin saying she had to babysit (my word) Abi every minute for those 3-4 days and that was exhausting.  Its not  the beach thing with Abi that was the mistake....  Its having an alliance with Abi without a plan to manager her.  One, why have both PG and Abi in the same alliance when there was trouble from the start?  Pick one, they still had the numbers.  Two, everybody on the alliance has to take a turn propping Abi up, she's just very insecure and when you feel insecure you get paranoid.  I don't know why Shirin seemed to be the only person with Abi for 3 days?  Where was Spencer? 

She does seem to talk about last season more than this.  Of course there wasn't much of this season to talk about.  I don't particularly like her from last season and so I wanted her to stick around a little longer to see who she really is but honestly I don't think the editing was going to show it.  If she was allowed to blah blah blah at the remaining tribe mates and it wasn't shown well....Survivor has played many favorites and I think Shirin is one. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 2

Shirin had almost 9 months between wrapping season 30 and taping for 31.

She said that talking about it at the taping of the finale brought her back into that space. I don't know if she could ever win the game, very few can, each season has only one winner, but if they really do a Third Time is the Charm season, I think she's a lock to be on it if she wants to do it. I don't know if she would want to though, if you're already a millionaire, why put yourself through all this kind of crap a third time? Time will tell.

• Love 3

Shirin worked fine with Mike, Joe, and Max during her season. This season she was working with Spencer and Jeff. Jeff flipped on her and she is totally fine with him.

The men she has not worked well with are Vytas, Terry, Dan and Will. Vytas was manipulative in his first season and gave more then one talking head about how easy women will fall for a bad boy turned good story. Terry was not nice to Cirie in his first season, didn't talk to Shirin this season and made a potentially offensive remark toawrds Abi. Dan and Will have shown themselves to be assholes. So, I don't think she has a problem with men. I think she has a problem with assholes and people who behave like assholes.

Shirin is not good at this game. She isn't but she isn't a man hatter and she will call out bad comments. She even identified were she screwed up and apologized, twice, for it.

I think that she has suffered from people who some how think she was rsponsible for Will's uncalled for, awful tirade or at least the after ath of said out urst.

She was not responsible. Will is responsible for his actions and words and his inability to understand how wrong he was. Blami g Shirin for that mess is a reflection of how screwed up we are as a socity when it comes to abuse. The aggrieved party is not at fault. Stop blaming Shirin.

• Love 11

I think that Shirin would play again if asked, because I think she can't believe that she continually gets outplayed by those she believes are less intelligent that she. The way she insists that she knows everyone's fate unless they align with her (Woo) and her demonstrated bitterness towards some of those who outlasted her implies that she views them as less deserving.

• Love 5

I don't understand why she still thinks Woo is an idiot for not taking her offer. She wasn't even offering a deal, she was telling him he'd be gone at the merge. That may be true, but Shirin was even more likely to get rid of Woo for the same reasons. I'd stick with Terry and Wiglesworth too in that scenario. At least neither of them has called Woo a dog. I don't even think Woo is the obvious merge target. There are still a lot of strong guys in the game, all with better game sense. I'd keep Woo close after the merge.

Shirin and Spencer both have the bad habit of thinking people are dumb for not doing what they want them to do.

• Love 10

I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning what people say happened off-camera, particularly when it makes someone they clearly dislike look bad or  themselves look good. It's not even calling that person a liar necessarily because people remember things the way they want to remember them. I didn't think Shirin was definitively lying about what Terry said, but I thought it was an oddball thing to throw out there unprompted, and until it was confirmed by someone else who was there, then I was going to reserve judgment. Now that Varner has confirmed it (but not Redmond because Redmond's story was all kinds of wonky, not to mention second-hand and with unnamed sources) then I do believe it happened. Similarly, I don't know if I believe Kelley Wentworth's claim that more people than Terry went out there to comfort Abi either. Maybe it's true, but it doesn't jibe with and in fact directly conflicts with what we saw on the episode itself. If someone confirms it, then fine, but if no one does, then I don't see why we shouldn't be able to question it.

As for comments that Shirin is a man-hater, I absolutely don't agree with that and I've said that before. I know she's a polarizing figure, and there are some people for whom she can do no right and others for whom she can do no wrong, but most of us are somewhere in the middle on her. It should be possible for us to not be unreservedly positive about her without being held responsible for every negative thing that's been said about her.

• Love 1

Well apparently Shirin has blocked her pal Max Dawson on social media after he had the gall to criticize her gameplay on the season at the RHAP live event.  

wings707, Redmond was not out in Cambodia. His information comes from sources in Survivor production and former players to my understanding.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 3

I'm sure it happened, but Jeff Varner has said that he thought Terry meant it as a joke. I'm suspicious of Redmond's account only because it's absurdly detailed for an event that occurred in June. Even if he witnessed it first hand, I don't trust all the details because the memory isn't that reliable.

I suspect Shirin wanted it out there because she knew she was going to get a bad edit in her boot episode over the Abi nonsense, and she knew Terry would come off like a hero, and she wanted people to know that Terry is really the bad guy. Frankly, Abi is the one who gets to decide if it's really worth still being offended. Clearly she and Terry ended up bonding, and she doesn't feel a need to criticize him. It's telling that she hasn't bothered to comment on it at all. She's also been extremely supportive of Terry on Twitter.

• Love 3

I am not a Shirin fan, I think that she has been outspoken regarding the abuse she suffered as a child and from Will. I think that society as a whole is uncomfortable discussing rape and abuse and has a tendancy to blame the victims. We need more abuse victims who are strong enough to tell there stories and refuse to allow themselves to to be shamed. Shirin and Cosby accusers are strong individuals who should be praised for taking a stand.

I have no problem with people disliking Shirin's personality. She has issues getting along with folks and she is a strong personality. She seems to be able to make good friends and serious enemies. She does seem touchy and sensitive.

I don't think that she is good at this game. I do think there is some confusion between Shirin is hard to get along with and Shirin is responsible for the verbal attack from Will and that does bother me.

For example, I don't like Dan but I can understand how he would clash with Shirin. I found his overall comments ridiculous and I don't think that he meant he would physically hit her when he made that one comment.

• Love 6
I'm saying on the ladder of credibility, an internet blogger under a pseudonym who has a financial interest in confirming and creating spoilers is about the bottom rung.  

Yeah, I didn't mean to say Redmond is 100% reliable at all (although he has a pretty good track record so far). I was just noting different reactions based on what particular thing he is spoiling.  Watch that his tribal divisions will be wrong and I'll have to wipe the egg off my face:)

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I don't like Dan but I can understand how he would clash with Shirin. I found his overall comments ridiculous and I don't think that he meant he would physically hit her when he made that one comment.

Oh, I agree with that, I don't like Dan, but I think he's just a clueless idiot, Will was something else altogether. His frothing at the mouth tirade at Shirin (and only Shirin, despite supposedly being upset at being accused of hoarding food, which was coming from several people) was beyond the pale, he never should have been out there, casting screwed the pooch on that one.

I like Shirin, love her personality and her fangirling for the show, but I do see how it could be annoying if you have to live on an island around it 24/7. Still, she's seems well liked by most of the people she played with. 

• Love 2

Since it is off topic I promise that this will be my last post on it. There has not been any accusitions of rape. I included rape with the abuse because both are serious issues that are 1) under reported and where 2) the victims are regularly dismissed or accused of doing something that caused the abuse/rape.

I don't believe abuse requires someone to be in a position of power. But, In game context, Will was in the majority alliance which was a power position. He took an accusition made by three people and exploded. He yelled at Mike and called him some names. He told Jen she was cool. He told Shirin she had no soul, was unloved and that she was an awful human being. That is emotional and verbal abuse. Yelling at Mike and calling him a liar is totally different.

The fact that people start their argument with "Shirin was annoying" is a form of justifying Will's attack. Shirin being annoying explains Dan's clueless you are an idiot who can't do math and you suck at this game conversation. Stupid on Dan's part be ause she was a potential vote but at least contained to game play. There should be no attempt to justify Will's behavior. Had he kept his comments to Shirin's being caught in a lie, eating the food he shared and awful game play, Will would have been fine. Instead he escalated his attack and went for the jugular.

• Love 6

Nothing justifies what Will said to Shirin. Even if she'd had an idyllic childhood, it wouldn't be ok. I suspect this sort of thing happens on the show more often than we know. I know Kass has said that Trish attacked her husband and daughter when they had their big blow up. It wasn't included in the show because it wasn't part of the story they wanted to tell.

It's too bad Shirin didn't have more time to process her first game before going out a second time. I don't know if she would have been any better at the game, but she might have had more fun if she'd had the Dan and Will stuff completely behind her.

• Love 2

He yelled at Mike and called him some names.

Yeah, he also made sure to sit down before he yelled at Mike, just shows what a bully he really is, he can get up in a smaller girl's face and scream and rant, but he was too scared of a man. What a pathetic wuss.

• Love 2

The difference is Abi and PheiGee get into it and Phei Gee contains her comments to Abi's game play. Fair game. The laughter and bad behavior in the shelter was wrong, potentially bullying but quite likly more inappropriate venting.

Will's comments were personal and not game related.

Abuse is abuse is abuse. It was easier for Shirin to walk away from Will's abuse then it would have been her father's but it was still abuse. Ranking the level of abuse and type of abuse is pointless. Stopping people from doing what Will did is a step in the right direction. Make it clear that the behavior is wrong and you can then move to stop abuse that might follow if Will's behavior is allowed to stand.

• Love 4

There is a post floating around about not bringing contestants back for 3 years.  They need that time to digest, decompress, etc.  As do we, the viewers.  Great idea.

Shirin looked tired and not terribly into the whole thing - at least not like last season.  She sort of self-destructed quickly this time around.

• Love 2

Here is the tweet from Shirin (this was in regards to LanceMs post about Shirin blocking Max on twitter because he badmouthed her game play-though I don't think Max has room to talk, even if he had a point about Shirin.  Whether he would improve on another attempt, I don't know, and hopefully won't ever find out).  What is funny to me is that Max said had the WC tribe lost any more pre-swap challenges last season, Shirin was going home; someone posted an interview from Joaquin from last season saying it would have been Max that would have left instead.  Like they needed to bring that up to prove a point.

Shirin Oskooi ‏@theshirin  · 22h22 hours ago 

Shirin Oskooi Retweeted Rob Cesternino
Is there an edited version with just Rob and Josh?

Edited by LadyChatts

I think during Micronesia it was said that a psychologist came out and talked to Kathy before she quit the game (there were rumors she threatened to injure herself if they didn't let her leave).  I also remember, during Kat's OW Ponderosa vid, she had the psychologist in the car with her heading to Loser Lodge.

Very occasionally in Ponderosa vids you see the staff psychologist talking to them at the breakfast table or whatever.  Especially with the first member of the jury who has nobody to talk to.  I'm sure they are on hand but generally expected to be hands-off during the game as much as possible.  The stress, after all, is part of the game.