Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Jeremy Collins

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

At the beginning I enjoyed myself and was just having fun. I let the chicken go. I let Juicy J go and I was like, “Yo, I’m just out here having fun.” I didn’t think I could win the game. From last season I was like, these people all see me as a threat. They see me as a physical threat and I’m not good at challenges so how can I do this? And then they’re voting me out because I have two kids and I’m a firefighter. So I’m like, I” can’t win this game. I’m just going to go out there and have fun and play reckless and do whatever I need to do.” And the further you get in the game, the tighter it gets. When you get down to the final six, seven, eight, you’re like, “Oh, man, it’s right there. I can make it to the end. This is crazy.” That’s when you really start to tighten up and the game’s not fun anymore. It’s really stressful.

This actually really surprises me. Initially I thought Jeremy was playing such a brilliant, dominate, active game but now I think he was really just playing a run-of-the-mill UTR game. Which is fine, I have no problem with UTR games. And he did play a good one. 

That's an example of the type of unconscious sexist statement Jeremy makes that drives me crazy, but at the same time, I love picturing Jeremy in mommy-and-me classes and I love that he participated in them.

YES. Jeremy made these types of statements quite a few times in SJDS. It's why even now I still can't fully warm to him. And yet I too would love to see him in a mommy-and-me class.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

Very solid game play from the start by Jeremy, and interestingly completely different from what one would expect from a buff dude.

The more I think about it and the more I'm impressed by the way he played the game.

I was annoyed while watching that he brought up his future son, but after reading all the comments I've come around to seeing it as another example of his very controlled way of playing during the game, awareness of how every small thing could put a target on him. It's all the more impressive because he IS an emotional person, and at the same time can be very careful and guarded without appearing so. Truly masterful!

There's been much talk all season that Spencer was the most improved player since his previous season, but I'd say it was Jeremy. Not because of his win, but because of his ability to see clearly what worked against him the first time and to systematically reduce the target on himself the second time around, while still being himself - i.e. nothing ever seemed forced or hypocritical with him.

Well done indeed!

• Love 12

I think Jeremy is a wonderful example as a husband, father, understated yet strong leader. I am a huge fan and couldn't be happier that he won, particularly in a clean sweep. Val and he are so fortunate to have each other.

Ha, I listened to one of his interviews where he said he was going to hand the check over to Val, she can do what she wants with it and he'll be back to work on Saturday. Lucky lady! 

Jeremy didn't make much of an impression on me in SJDS and since he was seated next to Shane Powers (who I REALLY wanted to see back on the show), I was pretty meh on him getting a slot, but he grew on me. 

Out of the final 3, he was definitely my choice. I also loved his suit at the reunion. 

• Love 4

Even with girls, I can hang with girls. I did the mommy-and-me classes.

That's an example of the type of unconscious sexist statement Jeremy makes that drives me crazy, but at the same time, I love picturing Jeremy in mommy-and-me classes and I love that he participated in them.

Why is that statement sexist? 

• Love 3

I think it's interesting that people like Stephen and Spencer are considered "students of the game" and that's part of their narrative on the show, but Jeremy isn't considered to be one. In his pre-game for San Juan Del Sur, he talked about being a huge fan of the show, applying for 10 years to be on the show and even taking notes on it while watching it. He said that when he's in different situations he'll think to himself "How would I handle this if I was on Survivor?" That seems like a student of the game to me. I get that everyone on the show has the archetypes they fill and that there's not enough time in an episode or in a season to flesh people out and make them multidimensional, but knowing stuff like this would make players like Jeremy even more appealing.

I agree since Jeremy has always impressed me when discussing survivor. Plus Stephen was recruited and wasn't a fan (I think he saw the first two seasons) and Spencer has said the first season he watched was Redemption Island.

I've always like Jeremy and I think loosing the first time was a huge disappointment for him. I remember him saying that his twin brother was supposed to play instead of Val, but they liked the whole fire fighter married to a police woman angle better. I remember him also saying the first time he did all things he always said he wouldn't do if he was on the show.

• Love 5

So in addition to a clean sweep win, no votes at TC ever Jeremy will go down as the creator of the Survivor strategy "meat shield" which I'm sure will morph into all kinds of shields with future players talking about keeping others around as their "strategy shield, crazy shield, pretty shield".

I like Jeremy and think he did a good job.  Its a chicken or egg thing though.  I wish Kelly had won because she really had to overcome more and work harder.  Would Jeremy have lasted as long in the game in her position?  Don't know.  Her underdog position surely would have gotten her a lot of votes so Jeremy certainly read that right. 

A really good cast.  Jeremy is a gracious man and winner. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 8
Why is that statement sexist?
Because it stems from an assumption that women's primary interest is in childrearing. It's different from saying something like "I could connect with Savage, Keith, Wigles, and Kimmi about being parents, but I could still bro out with the single folk." Kelley, Tasha, and Abi don't even have kids.
  • Love 1

I just take it to mean that he knows he would feel comfortable being with a group of women because he had done Mommy-and-Me, which is predominantly women. I don't think he meant that all women are primarily interested in being moms.

• Love 7

Because it stems from an assumption that women's primary interest is in childrearing. It's different from saying something like "I could connect with Savage, Keith, Wigles, and Kimmi about being parents, but I could still bro out with the single folk." Kelley, Tasha, and Abi don't even have kids.

Or maybe he means that is a common topic he can discuss with the women and relate to with them.  Especially since he, too, had the mommy classes -- something I bet is not true of most men. 

• Love 3

Anymore I think if a man uses the word "woman" or "girls" on Survivor, he's accused of being a misogynist.  Or if he ever dislikes a female player or plays in a way that hurts a female's game.  

Or maybe he means that is a common topic he can discuss with the women and relate to with them.

Except for the the women who didn't have children. 

I just take it to mean that he knows he would feel comfortable being with a group of women because he had done Mommy-and-Me, which is predominantly women.

So he has no female friends or experiences interacting with women outside of Mommy-and-Me classes? That seems unlikely. And if it's true, again, that tends to come from subconscious sexism.

Anymore I think if a man uses the word "woman" or "girls" on Survivor, he's accused of being a misogynist.

Oh for heaven's sake, in the very same sentence, I talked about how much I love that Jeremy participated in Mommy-and-me classes. I've posted loads of complimentary comments about Jeremy and his game. But implicit bias is factual, and Jeremy's made multiple statements that are textbook examples of how implicit bias manifests.

I don't know why people get so defensive about a straightforward description. I'm not demanding anyone agree with me, and I only said more about it because I was explicitly asked to explain.

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 3

Except for the the women who didn't have children. 

So he has no female friends or experiences interacting with women outside of Mommy-and-Me classes? That seems unlikely. And if it's true, again, that tends to come from subconscious sexism.

These are your basic non-sequiturs, where the conclusion has nothing to do with the facts. 

If all you were looking for was a pretext to disagree with the idea that saying "Even with girls, I can hang with girls. I did the mommy-and-me classes" is a sexist statement, you could have cut straight to the disagreement.

It's also not a non-sequitor to point out that childrearing doesn't provide a common topic with a group of women that consists of 4 women who have children and 3 women who don't.

• Love 1

I took the "mommy-and-me classes" line as Jeremy citing a specific life example supporting his immediately preceding "I can hang with the girls" statement.

I don't think any assignment of blanket gender role expectations was implied or intended - but YMMV.

• Love 3

It's also not a non-sequitor to point out that childrearing doesn't provide a common topic with a group of women that consists of 4 women who have children and 3 women who don't.

Jeremy apparently DID bond with those women over this.  i.e. he was not posing a hypothetical but a real event that actually happened. 

I don't have any children, but I have whipped out pictures of my girl Shammy and had quality bonding time with other dog owners/lovers. A shared interest or experience isn't enough to build a lasting friendship, but it's a good place to start an amiable conversation.

shammy.png

• Love 6

Oh for heaven's sake, in the very same sentence, I talked about how much I love that Jeremy participated in Mommy-and-me classes. I've posted loads of complimentary comments about Jeremy and his game. But implicit bias is factual, and Jeremy's made multiple statements that are textbook examples of how implicit bias manifests.

I didn't read the specific comments here that closely so that comment about how freely "misogynist" and "sexist" get thrown around here was more a general observation.  I give you credit, at least you called the statement sexist, which is a lot less damning than calling the person a misogynist.  So don't take it personally.  It was more about others' comments.

I loved that Jeremy won unanimousl. He played the best game of Survivor I have seen. Really fantastic.

Saving Stephen was a great move because Ciera was the opposition leader and focal point. It also made his allies really trust him. Very few people would save an ally with an idol , which were in short supply this season.

Great job Jeremy!!

• Love 2

...implicit bias is factual, and Jeremy's made multiple statements that are textbook examples of how implicit bias manifests.

Simply stating something or someone is biased does not make it so.  In this case I don't believe Jeremy or his statement display sexism. 

• Love 2

A bit ot but I'm pretty sure that Dr. Joel and Jerri M both had soap opera appearances too.

Ah yes, I forgot about Joel (or was it Sean?)  I think Joel did Nash Bridges with Jenna and Gervase.  I didn't know Jerri did, though.  I'm actually surprised that more Survivors don't get these types of cameos, since it seems like every fall a few BB HG end up appearing on one of the soaps (I think it is usually The Bold and the Beautiful).  Good for Joe and Jeremy, whose appearance will air January 27th.  I've never watched Y&R, but I might make the exception to get the small glimpse of these two.  

I see Jeremy was back at work today.  I don't know why that makes me all the more happier that he won.  He just seems so normal and genuine.

I think Abi could star in a soap, not just make a cameo or one-time appearance.

I find Abi quite pretty, and he look is unique enough that it stands out to me.  I could easily seeing her playing a soap opera villain, or (back in the day) the bitchy tenant that would live with the Melrose Place crew.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I find Abi quite pretty, and he look is unique enough that it stands out to me.  I could easily seeing her playing a soap opera villain, or (back in the day) the bitchy tenant that would live with the Melrose Place crew.  

She could play the heroine in one of those Brazilian tele-novelas. 

One of Jeremy's funnier tweets

~Shawna Oglesby @DFredricksonFan
@jeremy2collins do u and Val have a name yet for your new son

Jeremy Collins ‏@jeremy2collins  Dec 19

Maybe Probst collins...or fishback collins...chaos collins is a thought as well 

I've also read him respond twice to fans that he never is coming back to play Survivor again.

• Love 5
I've also read him respond twice to fans that he never is coming back to play Survivor again.

I watched his day after interview with Malcolm and he said it there as well. He won so there's nothing left to prove, I don't blame him for calling it a day. 

Chaos Collins is pretty funny. :)

• Love 1

And, he's already back working and he won the million. I see the annoying Dirty 30 on Twitter and half of them didn't win the million and they don't appear to work at all. Joe has a fun life but how does he make a living? Yes, I'm jealous much.

• Love 7

Looks like Val had the baby (I guess Jeff wasn't kidding that she could have gone at the reunion):

Jeremy Collins Retweeted
Danielle Mathis ‏@d_nellie3  54m54 minutes ago
Congrats @jeremy2collins and @ValCollins_! A million dollars and a baby boy all in one week! Hard to top that #Survivor

Joe Anglim ‏@Janglim21  4h4 hours ago Scottsdale, AZ
Congratulations @jeremy2collins !! Such an amazing an beautiful addition to your family!

Jeremy Collins ‏@jeremy2collins  16m16 minutes ago Boston, MA

My son is here!! Remy Bodhi Collins and @ValCollins_ are both doing great.  #lovethatlildude

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

Looks like Val had the baby (I guess Jeff wasn't kidding that she could have gone at the reunion):

Hope Val had time to deposit the check first.  Once Jeremy handed it to her, I don't know that he ever saw it again.  :>

• Love 1

How far all not was Val in Cambodia? I was shocked she was there and doubly shocked that she made the trek to California. I think he said she was due in two weeks at the reunion. Amazingly, they got back to Boston with time to spare. I'm glad everyone is doing well. Jeremy (and, Val) is the greatest. He's not a reality fame (you know what) and still works and is a family guy. I'm glad he won.

• Love 1

How far all not was Val in Cambodia? I was shocked she was there and doubly shocked that she made the trek to California. I think he said she was due in two weeks at the reunion. Amazingly, they got back to Boston with time to spare. I'm glad everyone is doing well. Jeremy (and, Val) is the greatest. He's not a reality fame (you know what) and still works and is a family guy. I'm glad he won.

Family visit I believe would have been filmed around the end of June, so she would have been around 4 months I think?  When Jon/Jaclyn got married in August, Val looked to be showing way more than she did in Cambodia.  Jeff said she was full term at the reunion and could go at any minute (I don't remember him saying exactly when the baby was due).  I'm also surprised Val would have been allowed to make that trip.  But what a week for Jeremy!

• Love 3

I guess they could have drove. Long ride but conceivable. I saw the Jon & Jaclyn wedding pictures & thought Val looked really pregnant there. I guess she just carries heavy. It's funny how things play out. Val went out early and Jeremy made jury. Nadyia went out first and Natalie won. Now, a year later Jeremy wins the whole thing and Keith made the jury on both. I doubt any of the SJD threesome had any idea how well they would do the second time.

Val said she was four months at the family visit. She did not appear to be showing much, at least in the shots that I saw. I am assuming she would not have traveled if she had any type of complication so I don't think there would have been any physical tells.

What Winston said, she would have needed a doctors note to fly. There is no indication as to how far along she was. In the last few months you go to the Doctor once a week and they check for dilation and try and figure out how close you are to giving birth. I know at week 38 I was not dilated and I would have been cleared to fly by my doctor. Flying would still be risky because things can change quickly and can happen pretty fast, especially with the third birth.I am the third child and I was born in a car shortly after my Mom went into labor. My younger brother took less then an hour to be born after Mom went into labor, the Doctor barely made it back into the room and Mom never made it to the actually delivery room (back in the day there were different rooms). It was a pretty huge risk to fly as far along as she was. I am guessing that the medical team was seated a few rows back and were ready to go. (grins)

• Love 1

I just rewatched the first episode of Second Chances. Jeremy has the last on air confessional before they meet Jeff for the first time. That should have been my clue that Jeremy was going to win. It's practically a spoiler. LOL!!!

• Love 1

I like Jeremy enough, I think he played a good game, and the jury thought that way too, even though it wasn't shown that much. But looking back on this season, while I think he's a good player, I think he's an unspectacular winner. Aside from the idol plays, and winning the final IC, it felt like, he was just sort of....there. Obviously the other contestants saw differently, and they warned each other of not taking Jeremy to the end, so they all knew something that we don't. So I guess I wish he had been edited differently? Or maybe there wasn't really much to edit, or show a different side or angle of Jeremy.

Jeremy winning may also be a cause of choosing the lesser evil. Towards the end of the game, the jury just ended up hating Spencer and Tasha so much that they were willing to vote for Jeremy just so they don't win. They were hated enough that no one respected their game and threw votes their way. Kimmi was so mad at them that she said she would rather vote for Abi (if Abi had ended in F3) than for Spencer/Tasha. That was surely some bad jury management there, most notably by Spencer.

• Love 4

I like Jeremy enough, I think he played a good game, and the jury thought that way too, even though it wasn't shown that much. But looking back on this season, while I think he's a good player, I think he's an unspectacular winner. Aside from the idol plays, and winning the final IC, it felt like, he was just sort of....there. Obviously the other contestants saw differently, and they warned each other of not taking Jeremy to the end, so they all knew something that we don't. So I guess I wish he had been edited differently? Or maybe there wasn't really much to edit, or show a different side or angle of Jeremy.

Jeremy winning may also be a cause of choosing the lesser evil. Towards the end of the game, the jury just ended up hating Spencer and Tasha so much that they were willing to vote for Jeremy just so they don't win. They were hated enough that no one respected their game and threw votes their way. Kimmi was so mad at them that she said she would rather vote for Abi (if Abi had ended in F3) than for Spencer/Tasha. That was surely some bad jury management there, most notably by Spencer.

I just finished rewatching South Pacific, and I think you can say the same thing about Sophie.  I couldn't fault her gameplay much, but it wasn't very exciting.  She was completely lost behind Coach and Ozzy and Brandon Hantz and Cochran and...

But yeah. Happy for Jeremy and he played how he needed to play to win.  But the best strategy and the best television aren't always the same thing.

• Love 1

I do wonder if Jeremy thought he was playing an awesome game compared to what was aired. Both he and Kelley found both idols but her finding them (the idols) and her game was more exciting and showed better on air. I'm sure he is fine either way. He has all the 0's in the bank. LOL!!

• Love 1

I like Jeremy enough, I think he played a good game, and the jury thought that way too, even though it wasn't shown that much. But looking back on this season, while I think he's a good player, I think he's an unspectacular winner. Aside from the idol plays, and winning the final IC, it felt like, he was just sort of....there.

I have a totally different view of Jeremy.  I saw him as the godfather of one of the toughest seasons in Survivor history.  The guy who ran things more than anyone else, yet who was so trusted, he was only in trouble one time the entire season.  And even then he was 100% safe and protected, because a) he was one of only two people all season to find an idol, and b) was smart enough to know exactly when to play that idol. 

Survivor is first and foremost a social game.  And Jeremy had a spectacular social game.  EVERYONE out there liked him; virtually no one targeted him till it was too late.  He also played a great strategic game: he surrounded himself with good, visible shields who helped him move forward and took the heat off him.  Jeremy announced this strategy as the season began, stuck to it, and made it work to the very end. 

His physical game was almost perfect.  By that I mean his tribe(s) and alliances did not find him a liability, and at the same time he did not stand out so much as to make himself a target.  He won the only IC that really mattered, i.e. the FIC.  That let him boot the one person who had a chance to beat him at FTC. 

He did not have total control.  I think that would have been pretty near impossible in a season with such good players.  Even the few times he nearly stumbled, the great relationships he built kept him safe. 

A really outstanding performance.  Considering the competition, twists and shuffles, one of the best ever IMO. 

• Love 6