Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The racial double standard between Cam Newton and Peyton Manning is on full display after Super Bowl 50

I don't totally agree with the article, but I do believe that six years from now the press will still be talking about Cam's press conference. And six years after Manning walked off the field, the press has totally forgotten about it. (The press at the time gave him a pass as well.)

I think you're right about this.

• Love 1

Nice article, and I agree with it. I'm a Manning fan, but him walking off the field did not sit well with me. It's nice that he called Drew afterwards, and sat during the conference, but he didn't even wait for the end of the game to walk away. Totally classless. I think the Cam stuff would have blown over if he apologized for being dour during the conference, but his "fuck this" attitude made it worse. Maybe he doesn't care and wants to give the haters what they want, but it's still immature.

• Love 2

The NFL is barring any prospects with domestic violence, sexual assault, or weapons violations from the Combine because character matters.  Of course it doesn't preclude them from being drafted anyway.

Cam should have issued an apology and some "give the Broncos credit" no matter how disingenuous.  Maybe his initial reaction could be understood (of course it hurt), but not showing any graciousness later will cement the image of him sulking like a petulant 4yo.  It has to be disappointing to his fans.

I was 2 feet from the receiver. He bobbled the ball, tucked it to his body and when he was tackled, the ball hit the ground first, then he secured it. Incomplete pass. Here's the ball, line up for the next play. "Well, we slowed it down to 1 frame per second, and..." Nope, move on.

We're talking about how a call changes momentum. Well, it's hard to generate momentum in the first place if you're stopping to review everything all the time too.

How in the world did you manage that, ganesh? Wait a minute. Are you really Darian Stewart? 

Seriously, I believe you, but in all of the replays I watched, Cotchery always had a knee or an arm under the ball. 

As for Cam, four year olds are authentic when they throw temper tantrums.   Doesn't mean they should still be throwing them in their 20s.   You grow up, you learn there is a time and place for everything.   Apparently, the Broncos were not allowed to be real and celebrate their win because it might hurt Cam and his keepin' it real feelings.   As I said, if he had been petulant in the press conference, whatever.   They lost.   I expected not happy.   But to walk out because you heard the winners celebrating is just childish.   Manning might have left the field immediately when he lost, but he didn't walk out of his press conference.   Adults do their job, children talk about "keeping it real" to justify bad behavior.

I agree. But I can speculate that he walked off because he heard the celebrating and was about to cry. And how many memes would've been created from that?

--And has Cam given another interview since that press conference? I'd be surprised if he'd say he was keeping it real by pouting and walking away from the podium. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

As for Cam, four year olds are authentic when they throw temper tantrums. Doesn't mean they should still be throwing them in their 20s. You grow up, you learn there is a time and place for everything. Apparently, the Broncos were not allowed to be real and celebrate their win because it might hurt Cam and his keepin' it real feelings.

Which is soo ironic considering Cam has a pretty popular commercial where he says something to the effect "too bad they dont have band-aids for feelings."

• Love 1

That's fine. I'm not firmly behind that it wasn't a catch. I think it was ruled incomplete largely because he was stumbling around and bobbled the ball. I think it speaks more to the state of refereeing and the overuse of replays than anything. 

However, it was 3-0 in the first quarter. It's not worth risking the challenge/time out at that point in the game. By doing that, you (as the coach) are implying that it's way more important than it was. They could have converted on third down on one or two times in the ensuing 45+ minutes of game. It's lack of situational awareness by the coach imo. Because, oh, look, it's the end of the first half and you're out of timeouts. It's patently absurd that a coach in any sports has legal influence on the officiating. I think the officials have been continually compromised since, and this is just a gradual degradation.

I have no doubt the reaction to Newton is largely racial. It's not the walking out of the press conference, it's that he was given a chance to walk back from it and doubled down instead. If he didn't want to apologize, then just say you're not going to talk about it anymore. It happened and that's that. Moving on. 

But now every time something bad happens to the team, he's going to be ripped on all the time and he's going have to hear it again. Which isn't fair partially because he did go over and congratulate Manning, and now that's largely forgotten.

QBs are the faces of their franchise. They have to do better. It's not fair, but they get paid the most and have to bear more responsibility.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I'm a big fan of Cam Newton, but he really needed to do better at the press conference. He gets the big money to be the face of the franchise when things go good, and when they go bad.

It's the same issue I have with Roger Goodell, who now only goes around giving "We loves the women!" speeches and has ducked reporters ever since Deflategate started.

I've changed my mind (about the Cam part, the Goodell stuff still stands).

I was engaged in a double standard. Bill Belichick and Greg Popovich get the big money and are the faces of their respective franchises and I don't go around writing that they should do better. I find their actions annoying, but . . . whatever.  Same thing with Cam, whatever. There's no larger lesson about sportsmanship to be learned from his behavior on Sunday, I just want to see him play.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Manziel needs to not talk.   Anything he says to defend himself will sound like blaming the victim.   There's a protective order in place.   If he starts telling "his side of the story" it sounds like he is challenging the issuance of a court order.   That never goes well.   Especially if he then has to face criminal judges -- judges talk to each other and have loooooong memories.  

As for Cam, four year olds are authentic when they throw temper tantrums.   Doesn't mean they should still be throwing them in their 20s.   You grow up, you learn there is a time and place for everything.   Apparently, the Broncos were not allowed to be real and celebrate their win because it might hurt Cam and his keepin' it real feelings.   As I said, if he had been petulant in the press conference, whatever.   They lost.   I expected not happy.   But to walk out because you heard the winners celebrating is just childish.   Manning might have left the field immediately when he lost, but he didn't walk out of his press conference.   Adults do their job, children talk about "keeping it real" to justify bad behavior.

Was it a good look for Cam? No. But the level of hand-wringing by the media is annoying me more than any perceived wrong by Cam. If this is the worst blot on Cam's record, he's in the upper half of the NFL.
  • Love 5

The racial double standard between Cam Newton and Peyton Manning is on full display after Super Bowl 50

I don't totally agree with the article, but I do believe that six years from now the press will still be talking about Cam's press conference. And six years after Manning walked off the field, the press has totally forgotten about it. (The press at the time gave him a pass as well.)

The fact that you've posted about it and it's in an article is sort of ironic when also making the claim that the press has totally forgotten about it.  No one knows how anything will be handled in the future for Cam Newton.  Maybe if he becomes the quarterback everyone seems to think he will be, his past transgressions will be forgiven.

I'm dismayed that this has become a racial thing.  Black, white, red, brown...all of it is a deflection as far as I'm concerned.  From holding him accountable for being a dick.  Plain and simple.  He was just an asshole.  I don't care about his past, I don't care about his personal struggles, I.don't.care.

He doesn't feel the need to apologize for it, that's fine.  But you (you in general, not you personally) don't get to suggest I'm racist because I believe he was a prick.  

People need to get over it, he clearly doesn't give a shit about how he acted.  More power to him.  At least he's not being fake about it.

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 1

The fact that you've posted about it and it's in an article is sort of ironic when also making the claim that the press has totally forgotten about it.  No one knows how anything will be handled in the future for Cam Newton.  Maybe if he becomes the quarterback everyone seems to think he will be, his past transgressions will be forgiven.

I'm dismayed that this has become a racial thing.  Black, white, red, brown...all of it is a deflection as far as I'm concerned.  From holding him accountable for being a dick.  Plain and simple.  He was just an asshole.  I don't care about his past, I don't care about his personal struggles, I.don't.care.

He doesn't feel the need to apologize for it, that's fine.  But you (you in general, not you personally) don't get to suggest I'm racist because I believe he was a prick.  

People need to get over it, he clearly doesn't give a shit about how he acted.  More power to him.  At least he's not being fake about it.

The two things are not mutually exclusive. Cam was wrong, plain and simple, I agree. But that doesn't mean race doesn't play a role in the criticism against Cam Newton--both now and in the past. 

And doesn't mean that people who criticize Cam are racist. Some are, some are not. Just like the people who praise athletes of all races. Some are racist. Some are not. 

• Love 6

A lot of people who are criticizing him is because of race from what I'm seeing. Just because some aren't doesn't mean it's not a factor.

I don't think comparing to Coach Pop is apt. He's actually been entertaining in a lot of his press conferences and on the sidelines. He's infamous for going at it with some of the sideline reporters. It's more part of the show. 

• Love 2

A lot of people who are criticizing him is because of race from what I'm seeing. Just because some aren't doesn't mean it's not a factor.

I don't think comparing to Coach Pop is apt. He's actually been entertaining in a lot of his press conferences and on the sidelines. He's infamous for going at it with some of the sideline reporters. It's more part of the show.

Does Popovich act the same, win or lose, on the sidelines and in the press conference afterwards? Basketball bores me to tears so I rarely watch. But I can accept a schtick if it's pretty consistent.
And has Cam given another interview since that press conference? I'd be surprised if he'd say he was keeping it real by pouting and walking away from the podium.

Yes, yesterday.  Apparently, he talked for about eight minutes, but I've only seen one clip (I haven't gone looking for more), the "who's to say your way is right and mine is wrong?" and "I've always said I'm a sore loser" section.

Yes, yesterday.  Apparently, he talked for about eight minutes, but I've only seen one clip (I haven't gone looking for more), the "who's to say your way is right and mine is wrong?" and "I've always said I'm a sore loser" section.

Well, that sucks. Here I was, hoping Cam would be more mature in later intervals. Of course, I still need to watch it for myself 

I have seen none of this, except the discussion about it on this board and the articles popping up discussing it.  I live in Denver, where the burns are running rampant on Facebook and at the water cooler for Carolina losing, and I haven't seen or heard a single person bring up race.  I have yet to see anyone mention his race concerning his temper tantrum anywhere...other than those saying he's being criticized because he's black.

Peyton was a jerk for walking off field, Cam was a jerk for walking out of the press conference.  Searching for a deeper meaning behind these things has gotten tiresome.  

I will say this though, Cam has been successful in keeping the spotlight on him even after the loss.  Which, in the end, seems to be his ultimate goal in every situation.

• Love 2
I have seen none of this, except the discussion about it on this board and the articles popping up discussing it.

I haven't seen any discussion about race either. Except for the continuing discussion on here, and the comments on my FB news feed, tweets I've seen, and blog articles; basically, a lot of social media, and from Newton himself. Otherwise, no, I haven't seen any. I haven't seen any at my work except when my video director and I were discussing it before class. Otherwise, no. 

Because a statement isn't 100% supported by every single piece of evidence doesn't invalidate the observation. It's naive to think this isn't partially a racial issue, as it's been all year. When you're a white dude tweeting out "boy" about an adult black man, you're going to be called on the racial connotations, for example.  

Does Popovich act the same, win or lose, on the sidelines and in the press conference afterwards? Basketball bores me to tears so I rarely watch. But I can accept a schtick if it's pretty consistent.

Pop will call BS on someone if they ask a stupid question and doesn't suffer fools. He does his press conference duties like every other coach. Otherwise, he's got kind of a deal, but he can put on a little bit of a show. Obviously, not 100% of the time, and every coach will be mad once and a while, but I don't think that invalidates the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. "Why isn't Duncan playing?" "Because he's old." 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

Are they really trying to say Cam got up and left because he could hear the Broncos celebrating next door?  Isn't Cam the one who said if you don't want to see him celebrate after scoring a touchdown, don't let him score?  Cam, if you didn't want to hear the Broncos cheer, you should have beaten them.

I think Cam will determine whether we are still talking about this incident six years from now.  Learn from this and move on and do better next time.  America loves to give people second (and third and fourth) chances if they acknowledge they screwed up.

I haven't seen any discussion about race either. Except for the continuing discussion on here, and the comments on my FB news feed, tweets I've seen, and blog articles; basically, a lot of social media, and from Newton himself. Otherwise, no, I haven't seen any. I haven't seen any at my work except when my video director and I were discussing it before class. Otherwise, no.

Because a statement isn't 100% supported by every single piece of evidence doesn't invalidate the observation. It's naive to think this isn't partially a racial issue, as it's been all year. When you're a white dude tweeting out "boy" about an adult black man, you're going to be called on the racial connotations, for example.

Agreed. Stunningly, most racists DON'T preface their comments with "I'm a total racist and...." If we need someone to label their own comments as racist to accept that they're racist, that pretty much means we have 0 racism in the US. And yet I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

No one's saying that Cam wasn't a jerk in the press conference. But the GENERAL, WIDESPREAD reaction to him being a jerk and Manning being a jerk has been very different. There's definitely a racial element to that different reaction, as there has been all year--for example all the pearl-clutching over Newton's "scandalous" dancing when Aaron Rodgers' championship belt move is imo more vulgar and "offensive" (I don't find either the dancing or the belt move offensive but you know what I mean).

• Love 6

Maybe the difference between the reaction to Cam's jerkdom and the reaction to Peyton's jerkdom is that Peyton generally doesn't act that way all the time and Cam, for the most part, is a jackass 90% of the time.  Sure most of it's bravado and playing it up for the cameras.  But he's not my quarterback and yet, I know about him because he's always making asshole comments.  So people are more apt to give Peyton a pass for his few fleeting moments of being a poor sport because in the grand scheme of his career it's not usually how he acts.  

Cam and his teammates talked a lot of shit before the game.  I didn't see any of the Broncos doing that (maybe Talib, but that guys a jackass who almost lost us the game).  And now he has to eat some crow.

If I'm going to feel sorry for someone it's Josh Norman.  He's never going to escape the meems of him crying on the sidelines.  And that was a terrible thing to watch.

• Love 3

Manning attended the press conference and then Drew said that Peyton called him that evening, saying that Peyton was a classy guy. People waning to compare the situations conveniently forget to add that phone call. After the loss to Seattle, Sherman praised Peyton for seeking him out to check on his injury, saying he was a class act. Peyton clearly learned and learned quickly how to handle himself.

We know that Manning, and Reggie Wayne, were the only Colts players to walk off the field without congratulating the Saints.

We know that Manning later called Drew Brees.

We don't know what prompted that call, so I don't think the phone call excuses his behavior. Did Peyton do it out of the goodness of his heart, or did one of his handlers have to set him straight?

Given that people aren't willing to excuse 26 year old Cam Newton's behavior, it's worth nothing that Peyton was 33 at the time. He also, unlike Cam, had a previous Super Bowl victory to fall back on.

We don't know what prompted that call, so I don't think the phone call excuses his behavior. Did Peyton do it out of the goodness of his heart, or did one of his handlers have to set him straight?

Well, if one of his handlers had to set him straight, it worked.  Whatever they discussed, the phone call caused Drew to label him a classy guy.  It caused Richard Sherman years later to label him a classy guy.  It caused numerous football players to label him a classy guy for the handwritten notes they have received from him over the years.  It caused fans to label him a classy guy for the handwritten notes and phone calls they have received over the years.  Maybe Carolina should find out the name of that handler and have him or her chat with Cam.

I just think it is interesting because I hated Peyton with a passion for years.  I thought he was over-hyped in college, and I spent his first several years in the NFL actively rooting against him.  He has managed to change my view to the point that I now consider him one of the best.  Considering I don't have nearly the dislike for Cam that I had for Peyton (my issues with Cam stem from his college antics and his inability to say anything of substance on Jon Gruden's quarterback camp before he was drafted), it shouldn't take much for me to change my mind.  As I have said, a quick "Sorry, guys, I know you're just trying to do your job and I let my emotions get the best of me" and I'd be good.  

• Love 1

Agreed. Stunningly, most racists DON'T preface their comments with "I'm a total racist and...." If we need someone to label their own comments as racist to accept that they're racist, that pretty much means we have 0 racism in the US. And yet I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

NFL fandom at large is, in my experience, one of the very best places to experience all the casual, unthinking racism you could ever want. Even amongst the media who think nothing of labelling Colin Kaepernick a "thug" because he has tattoos, or saying that RGIII and Russell Wilson are "well spoken and articulate". Or (holy shit I always wanted to believe this was made up, but it's not) saying on commentary that Chris Johnson has "getting away from the cops speed"*. Not every racist burns crosses and shouts the n-word all over the place.

* Yes, I know that the commentator who said it was black, but that doesn't mean the sort of casual, ingrained, accepted racism that lets anyone suggest a black man running fast should be compared to running away from the police isn't awful.

• Love 4

I've changed my mind (about the Cam part, the Goodell stuff still stands).

I was engaged in a double standard. Bill Belichick and Greg Popovich get the big money and are the faces of their respective franchises and I don't go around writing that they should do better. I find their actions annoying, but . . . whatever.  Same thing with Cam, whatever. There's no larger lesson about sportsmanship to be learned from his behavior on Sunday, I just want to see him play.

The Boston media is very critical of Bill Belichick and his gruff press conferences. I think it is ironic that James Harrison was lauded for his stance on participation trophies and that only winning matters. When Cam says I hate losing he's labeled a jerk.

• Love 1
NFL fandom at large is, in my experience, one of the very best places to experience all the casual, unthinking racism you could ever want. Even amongst the media who think nothing of labelling Colin Kaepernick a "thug" because he has tattoos, or saying that RGIII and Russell Wilson are "well spoken and articulate".

Thug is the n-word loophole for white people. 

• Love 2

Odell Beckham, Jr. guest-starred on Code Black last night (I don't know how popular this show is).  He was the former player for a coach who was in the hospital.  He wasn't bad for a non-actor.  Maybe Cam should do a spot on a show--probably a comedy instead of a drama--to show that he's got a sense of humor and has lightened up after all the brouhaha following the Panthers' loss in the SB.

• Love 1
In fairness to Harrison, his stance on the participation trophies was that he didn't want his sons thinking they get prizes just for "showing up" in life. If you want an award, you earn it, which I don't disagree with.

IIRC, he was criticized no so much based on his treatment toward his son, but for the hypocrisy of that.  Mainly it goes back to him putting a hand on a female, which is not cool.  It was several years before the Ray Rice and Greg Hardy stuff, but some people still hold a grudge over that.  I personally will feel it was not a good thing for him to do going forward, but I totally had no problem with him taking his son's participation trophy.  On a related note, the man can still play the game at a respective level, and he's still a big deal

• Love 1

Is the Hall of Fame a celebration of team accomplishments or individual accomplishments? Because if its the latter then the voters are dead wrong for not inducting T.O. on the 1st ballot. His numbers are 1st ballot worthy. Period. I didnt know the voters werent allowed to include off the field issues into their decision making, but that makes them even more hypocritical. So you can be a drug addict, domestic abuser, potential murderer (because you know Ray Lewis is getting in on the 1st ballot), but a guy who's had zero off the field issues but was polarizing in the lockerroom doesnt make sense to me. That is a dangerous slope these voters have started.

There's no reason TO didn't get in except for his "issues." Which I think are largely bogus to begin with. There is no way those numbers aren't HOF. At his peak he was catching 100+ balls and racking up 1500 yard seasons before the league became as pass prolific as it is now. 

• Love 1

Then anyone who admits this should be stripped of their voting authority. He was mean to me once, so there!

These people will be bending over backward to collectively fellate Ray Lewis though. 

Edited by ganesh

I don't think he should get in.   He bounced around to a lot of teams.   Why?   Because he was a cancer in the locker room.   He actually HURT some teams by being on them.   To me, that is not off field issues.   That directly affects the team's performance.

Of course, I don't think Bret Favre should be in.   I don't think he really was all that great.   He threw a hell of a lot of interceptions that cost his teamS games.  But he would never admit that.   It was always someone else's fault when things went wrong.  

• Love 2

Of course, I don't think Bret Favre should be in.   I don't think he really was all that great.   He threw a hell of a lot of interceptions that cost his teamS games.  But he would never admit that.   It was always someone else's fault when things went wrong.  

They won't need to. They can just reel off his career achievements and statistics. Ray Lewis is a surefire, deserved first-ballot Hall of Famer. He was also adored in the locker room and respected by his peers, unlike Terrell Owens.

I don't like Favre, but he won two superbowls and GB was always a contender when he played. He clearly should be voted in first ballot. 

Aren't they voting these players in on stats? Or is this a popularity contest? Because there's a whole lot of players more reprehensible than TO. I'd say even Favre was more of a jerk than TO. Not voting TO in because he wasn't likeable is just bitchy. That's all there is to it. 

I'd like to know exactly what "cancer in the locker room" means. Because none of us were in any of the locker rooms. I also tend to think it's just a petty cop out. Because no one ever worked with people they didn't get along with. *eyeroll* NFL players must be the weakest willed people in the history of humanity, I swear. *Everything* bothers them or is a "distraction in the locker room". Except for you know, actual criminal acts. "You just need to shut that out and play the game." "Whaaaaa! TO won't stop talking! I don't like him! BOOHOO WOE IS ME."

Just on the field, you have to vote Ray Lewis in. And you have to vote TO in for the same reason. Second all time in yards to literally the greatest WR ever and third in TDs. Right now, not when he retired. Anyone not voting for him has zero credibility. 

• Love 1

He won ONE Super Bowl.   ONE.   He played in two, lost one.   Because he was too busy talking about his future to prepare for the game.   

What career statistics?   That ONE Super Bowl win?   All those interceptions?   His records that have already been broken?  The time he spent in the League's substance abuse program?

And I doubt Bret was all that adored in the locker room.   It's just people knew that complaining about the "great" Bret Favre was futile, so why bother.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 1

He won ONE Super Bowl.   ONE.   He played in two, lost one.   Because he was too busy talking about his future to prepare for the game.   

What career statistics?   That ONE Super Bowl win?   All those interceptions?   His records that have already been broken?  The time he spent in the League's substance abuse program?

And I doubt Bret was all that adored in the locker room.   It's just people knew that complaining about the "great" Bret Favre was futile, so why bother.

Ah, sorry. I quoted the wrong post. I was talking about Ray Lewis.

• Love 1

Not to mention, Favre had problems with booze, pills and sending naked selfies to a woman who was not his wife.

I agree 100% that it's petty and nitpicking if HOF voting is partly based on whether or not you were Most Popular in the locker room. They did T.O. dirty on this one.

Does anyone actually think Favre isn't getting in? I don't like him, but I would be shocked if he didn't. He's got 70000+ yards and 500+ TDs. That's all people are going to vote on. 

By and large pro athletes are reprehensible, self-entitled people who should not be held up as role models by any stretch of the imagination. If we're going on that, then not many of them are getting in. 

Just for the record - Favre is in.    The presentation at the vote meeting was 6 seconds.   SIX. Seconds.   Apparently the guy just said "Bret Favre" and dropped the mic.   Seriously????   No discussion about his many many many many faults as a player?   That was just so disrepectful of the whole damn process.   And proof that the sports media are besotted with him no matter how stupid he is in interviews (seriously the guy is barely coherent) and how selfish he is.

What career statistics?   That ONE Super Bowl win?   All those interceptions?   His records that have already been broken?  The time he spent in the League's substance abuse program?

To be fair to Favre, his records were broken because they changed the rules to make it easy as hell to break them.  The fact that he played in nearly 300 consecutive games despite the beatings he took which would knock off anyone else is impressive.  Of course, to be fair to the current and future players, unlike the past, it'll be impossible to break Brett's streak because the rules of today as it relates to injures and the aftermath prohibit players from being active for the game (whether they like it or not).

All of those turnovers didn't help, and that IMO was cause for concern in terms of Brett getting in (on the first try), but I hardly think the voters were going to hold that against him.  It does help to be a QB, for one (IIRC,that IMO is what caused Irvin to have to wait a couple years to get in when he did).  Finally, if they put in Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and Dan Fouts, then IMHO, I'm surprised it even took six seconds to accept Favre.  For the record, those other three totally deserve it; I'm in no way saying they didn't, regardless of postseason success.

Can't say that I felt bad for T.O. for missing.  But I agree that he got screwed for being a first-timer.  Not so much for being a problem with teammates, but the voters have a thing against WR's, which is not cool.  I think it was a combination of things; including his behavior, they had to get Stabler in (for that immediate posthumous entry) and Eddie DeBartolo (which while overdo as much as not, made sense added to the venue of the big game).  Also, Marvin Harrison was due, as mentioned.  In addition, Tony Dungy is deserving.  Terrell Owens will get in, and while it's not on the first try, it's better than not getting in at all.  That's probably cheap punishment from the voters.  He's not the first person to miss on first opportunity.  Strahan missed surprisingly but he was up against Sapp, and Curtis Martin had to wait due to Marshall (totally right call there).  As for Ray, I think it's a federal crime to not put him in on February 3, 2018 (assuming he doesn't return or the schedule stays the same)

I don't have any issues with the Class of 2016, but sometimes, when one is borderline, they typically get the nod based on who's hosting the super bowl as well as who's playing in the game. For example, Manning was a top story.  Harrison benefited off of Peyton, and Dungy helped turn around Indy.  I believe, at the end of the day, the Pro Football Hall Of Fame is at least 100 times better than Baseball's HOF

• Love 1

Look: Favre deserved a 6-second decision. He was going to get in, he deserved to get in.

Yeah, he holds the interception record.  But he held a lot of amazing records, like the starting record and the most wins (as of the day he was voted in).

Sure, he only won 1 Super Bowl. But Super Bowl is a team thing.

Coaches like Tom Flores and George Seifert have each won two Super Bowls, and are no where near getting into the hall.

I believe they started their 8 1/2 hour day with 15 candidates. If somebody is so obviously a hall of famer, then why spend an hour discussing him?

• Love 2

I would think it's like a jury. "Does anyone not think X should be in? No? Ok, moving on."

Plus, the HOF is you're in and that's in. You're not classified into A level HOF, B level, etc. 

I would have liked to be privy to the TO discussion. Because clearly, his stats are beyond dispute. 

Sure there's no A or B level Hall of Fame...but "1st ballot Hall of Famer" has a certain ring to it that those players who were voted in on the first try are proud to say so.

Lol...You beat me to it Constantinople.  I read that article earlier today.  Shaun King's name (guy who wrote the article) was trending on twitter all morning. I'll just say after reading this, I've lost a ton of respect for Peyton and Archie.

Edited by FuriousStyles
NY Daily News: Peyton Manning's squeaky-clean image was built on lies, as detailed in explosive court documents showing ugly smear campaign against his alleged sex assault victim

I knew most of that already, although not in such detail (as one example, the details of Archie's involvement were new to me, and I'm really looking at him differently now), but I had never before read that there was an incident prior to the locker room assault:

In the fall of 1994, Peyton Manning entered the University of Tennessee football program as the already-famous son of legendary college and pro football star Archie Manning. That semester, his first on campus, some type of incident involving Manning and Naughright occurred. By request of the counsel of Peyton Manning, the details of that incident have been sealed and three-and-a-half pages concerning it have been redacted from the permanent record (see pages 11-14).

Whatever happened, Naughright claims it colored and informed the professional interactions between Naughright and Manning from that time on and caused Manning to consistently harbor anger toward her.