Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I know we talked about these fantasy sports companies a while back...

The New York State attorney general on Tuesday ordered the two biggest daily fantasy sports companies, DraftKings and FanDuel, to stop accepting bets from New York residents, saying their games constituted illegal gambling under state law.

The cease-and-desist order by the attorney general, Eric T. Schneiderman, is a major blow to a multibillion-dollar industry that introduced sports betting to legions of young sports fans and has formed partnerships with many of the nation’s professional sports teams. Given the New York attorney general’s historic role as a consumer-protection advocate, legal experts said the action would most likely reverberate in other states where legislators and investigators are increasingly questioning whether the industry should operate unfettered by regulations that govern legalized gambling.

Full Story

• Love 2

There is so much coming out now.   How few people actually win.   And those winners alleged connections to the owners of the sites.   How the analytics are created and who gets access to said analytics.   Not to mention my own research showing how they do their best to hide how much you are really spending on the site.   

They got too big for their britches, and people started looking closely at it.   

• Love 2

Luck needs to stop plucking his beard to help people with retirement and save some for himself.   So far this year:   injured shoulder, busted ribs (allegedly), and now a lacerated spleen.    Forget Roethlisberger hobbling, Luck may be dead if he doesn't start protecting himself.

His GM could have helped him by building an offensive line around him.

His GM could have helped him by building an offensive line around him.

Grigson is an idiot who lucked into a franchise QB and has been absolutely terrible at building a roster around him. He's overstocked the offensive skill positions, without really bothering to understand that there's no point giving Luck a whole bunch of weapons if he's on his back within three seconds of the ball being snapped every play. And asking him to shoulder the entire team because the defense sucks is just not a goer either.

If Pagano is out at the end of the season, Grigson should definitely be going with him. Also: remember when Grigson traded a first round pick for Trent Richardson, who had already proved to be a bust after the first round pick the Browns used to draft him?

• Love 3

Jeez, 6-10 might ACTUALLY win the AFC South this year. Wow.

Being a PSU fan, I'd like to see Bill O'Brien win it but yeah, even without Andrew Luck the Colts still have the best quarterback in the division with Hasselback. 

The Colts claim Charlie Whitehurst off of waivers. It's interesting, because I was wondering if someone would pick him up after the Titans released him. I had actually thought about the Colts getting him, because they needed a backup QB. I am interested in seeing what happens with them and how they fare with Andrew Luck being out. I hope he has a healthy recovery.

Edited by Jx223

I put the game on late tonight - did they give an explanation for the hideous uniforms?

I put the game exactly at the beginning (when they showed a special Rex intro) -- and I don't recall them ever explaining the color thing. (I watched the first half hour without fast forwarding, but FF'd through the rest).

Did they ever explain?

It was just so odd that the broadcast team wouldn't actually say something about the uniforms at the beginning of the game.

Specifically, I wanted to know why one team wasn't wearing white.

You think last night was bad wait until you see what the Jags wear next week.

During the first half Jim Nantz said sometimes you have to enjoy a defensive struggle and once I see one, I'll get back to him. Because there is a BIG difference between a good defensive game, and a game where the offense can't do shit.

• Love 3

It's Nike new "Color Rush" uniform where each team wears one color from head to toe.   Next year all teams will be required to wear the color rush uniforms on Thursday day.   

Why?   

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nike probably paid big bucks to get the new uniforms featured on the TNF games.   And the teams can sell jerseys in the new colors.

So they will sell out "uniform" requirements for bucks, but a guy can't wear a pink mouthpiece outside of October or wear his dad's name on his eyeblack.   Things so small no one would notice them if the League didn't fine the guys for it.

• Love 1

I put the game exactly at the beginning (when they showed a special Rex intro) -- and I don't recall them ever explaining the color thing. (I watched the first half hour without fast forwarding, but FF'd through the rest).

Did they ever explain?

It was just so odd that the broadcast team wouldn't actually say something about the uniforms at the beginning of the game.

Specifically, I wanted to know why one team wasn't wearing white.

It's the NFL's "color rush" campaign. The teams get uniforms in "vibrant" colors (no doubt so the NFL can make even more money on these alternate jerseys.)

There'll be one "color rush" game per week for the rest of the season.

I peaked in the game somewhere around the 3rd quarter and had to remind myself its not December, because the first thing I thought about was Christmas when I saw those uniforms. Soon we wont be able to call them uniforms...they'll be called costumes. I wonder what the players think.

• Love 2

They should have at least put snowflakes or reindeer on them - plain red like that, people will think they hate Christmas, just like Starbucks...

They even have a guy who would have made a perfect Santa.

Tough losses for teams like Philly and Green Bay. It’s unfortunate that’s Sam Bradford is hurt again.

I am glad to see Carolina do well. I am very happy for Cam and the team. I think that this could end up being a special year for them.

Big Ben did a great job today getting Pittsburg a win today and keeping their playoff hopes alive. Landry went down quick, but Big Ben stepped in and handled things, in spite of his injury.

Cleveland on the other hand played some ugly football. They racked up a ridiculous amount of penalties. But I was very pleased with how well Johnny played. I thought he played pretty well. He’s improved a lot. Browns didn’t win, but he played his best game today.  Improved on things he was criticized for last week (like operating in the pocket) and he showed heart. I liked the run he did with the spin move and pump fake and was disappointed when it wasn’t ruled a touchdown. I liked seeing him pass for close to 400 yards as well.

Unfortunately Cleveland has a lot of issues on both side of the ball. But the play it’s received from its QBs this year (Josh/Johnny) is actually the least of the team's problems.

Edited by Jx223

Holy shit, the end of the Pats-Giants game. It's always a barnburner between these two.

Hopefully this has exorcized the demons and Brady can stop TOTALLY SUCKING against the Gianta henceforward.

Edelman better be okay. We are up a creek without him.

• Love 2

Yes....I feel terrible for Peyton. Getting benched period is embarrassing, but when you've got the kind of resume Peyton has, its even worse IMO.

I liked that Aaron Rodgers ate some crow today. I heard he made some comments during the week about how they've beaten the Lions at home however many times in a row. He's so smug sometimes...cant stand him.

God, the Giants are going to be the end of me. I cant take anymore of these close losses. After the first two games I said I didnt know if losing close was worse than when we were getting blown out...well now I know. Losing these games is brutal! First off, I hated the play calling when we were in the red zone that last time. I think we were like 3 or 4 yards away, and Coughlin calls 3 pass plays. I mean, you dont even try to punch it in? Granted he did the same thing in the 1st half and it worked. But this time, running it at least helps take some time off the clock. And I dont even want to get into that Beckham catch that supposedly wasnt. Like how many seconds after a catch does someone need to possess the ball for it to count because he clearly had 2 feet inbounds and was getting ready to plant the 3rd foot down. Im just confused. Everytime I saw the refs huddled up I thought about that State Farm commercial with the refs just making stuff up as they went along. Smh.

Hopefully this is a true repeat of 2007 and the Pats stay unbeaten until the Superbowl where we can really crush their souls. That is my ultimate sports fantasy. To screw over Brady and Belicheck a 3rd time.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 4

ESPN is showing Coughlin's press conference.

I freakin' hate the mock camo/military gear gear Nike came up with for the coaching staffs.

BTW. NFL, if you really want to honor the troops, why don't you stop charging the military for the privileged of being honored.

• Love 11

First, I wanted to throw things at the TV at the end of the Ravens game.  Whoever that was needs to pony up his entire salary in fines for that stupid penalty.

Then I wanted to throw more things at the TV at the end of the Packers/Lions game.  Just because.

Lastly, Eli's sad face never gets old.  

The day was not a total loss.

• Love 4

Because it can't be said often enough, or in big enough font:

I seriously cannot articulate how much I hate New England and Tom Brady's stupid fucking face.

On the hometown front:

I remember eta: NOT the last time the Chiefs won at Mile High.*  Monday Night Football game.  Montana v. Elway.  A thriller.  And Marty got the ball afterwards because, Cleveland.

Is it disloyal to be surprised that this happened?  My theory: the coaches ran the Royals' World Series parade on a loop, and said, "Hey you guys = this could be YOU someday!"

eta: I'm watching the highlights.  Apparently, Denver lost to Some Team. *throws remote at NFL Network*

*apparently we beat Tebow's Donks in 2011.  How could I have forgotten that.

Edited by gutette1
  • Love 3

As a Pats fan, I have mixed feelings. I'll be the first to admit they were lucky to come away with the win. They played shitty and they better hope Edelman's injury is minor because we can't win the SB with Gronkowski alone.

I'm happy they got over the Giants hump, but I feel like an undefeated regular season is a jinx. It blew up on them once before and I don't want to see it happen again.

Poor Peyton. Breaks the all time passing record and then gets benched. Sheesh, that's a bad day.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Brady is the luckiest damn QB in history.

That ball should have been intercepted. Horrible throw. Should have been a catch by ODell.

The NFL rules on catches are stupid as hell and need to be changed.

54 yard FG to win by another kicker that never misses.

I know about The Catch and The Catch II, but outside of that he has got more breaks in big moments than any QB in history.

Denver goes from looking like word beaters by beating GB to just looking bad overall, and now GB has lost 3 straight.

Manning, Brady and Rodgers almost all lost in the same day. Not sure that has ever happened

• Love 2

I hate to cheer for guys to get hurt, but....

Edelman with broken foot. Lost Edelman and Dion Lewis now in two weeks.

Too bad.....stuff happens. Call me a hater if you want

On another note, NFL has to fix these catch rules. If you have two feet on the ground and control of the ball, its a catch.

It hurts offense and defenses this way. So far today, Odell Beckham had a catch, that was a TD, but no, came out after he had control and its incomplete

Az-Seattle, really the AZ caught it and fumbled at end of half, they call it incomplete instead.

The rules are just stupid.

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

Laughing at Cam telling the people complaining about him dancing in the end zone, "Keep me out of it, then."

I can't stand Cam Newton, but on this I have to agree with him. It's like when guys complain that another team ran up the score. Well then, play some damn defense and don't let them run it up!
  • Love 5

Not a Peyton fan but I actually feel really bad for him. That's not the way his record-setting game should have gone.

I am not a Peyton fan either, but I didn't feel bad for him this week.  I felt bad for him that his defense was preposterously moronic last week such that he didn't have the chance to break the record on a game-winning drive (in 'the house that he built'), that could also have broken a record for wins.

I blame Peyton himself for making his record-breaking game awful.  As far as I can tell, he's injured but decided to play anyway.  Sure, you can say Kubiak could have benched him, but let's think about what would have been said if he didn't allow him to start and play for awhile.  Benching Peyton after four interceptions is okay.  Benching Peyton before any interceptions, or after a couple, let's think about who gets the blame for a loss. Peyton doesn't play, Kubiak's to blame, Peyton does play, Kubiak accepts blame for not benching him to begin with (even though I have strong feelings that Peyton decides whether or not Peyton starts).

Anyway, as someone not a Peyton fan, I hope they rest him until he is healed.  And then I want him crushed like a bug as he usually is in the playoffs.  I want no more excuses for him at the end other than he failed.  And if the Broncos win the Super Bowl with him at QB, I'll tip my cap.

Edited by pennben

The Sunday Night Football game was approximately 4 hours. You rarely ever see that.

Wasn't a lot of it because of injury stoppage?

I couldn't watch after the Seahawks came back- did not want to see the smug Seahawks and their fans cheer while a team I like get crushed. Thank goodness the Cardinals prevailed. Hope Palmer stays healthy so they can do well in the playoffs (barring a second half choke).

• Love 1