Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Bam Bam is back! Don't get me wrong, I'm still not happy that he pulled that stunt in the first place, but I'm glad he's back. Hopefully having their defense back to normal means the Seahawks can knock it off with the losing. 

I feel bad for the Cowboys. Lord knows I don't like the smugness of calling themselves "America's Team" since there are 31 other teams with American fans who aren't rooting for the Cowboys. I know it's not a name they originally gave themselves, but they've kept using it so I feel justified. But to lose their starting quarterback for half your season and one of your playmakers out for 4-6 weeks is just not the way I want to see another team go down. Hopefully they can stay in it enough that they're not out of the hunt because of injuries.

True, I'd rather a healthy Romo continue to pull defeat out of the jaws of victory. I was upset he was acually having winning drives in the first two games and wanted the other shoe to drop, but not with an injury, that just sucks.

I know it's early, but the AFC with the Jets 2-0 seems so much dejah vuh of every couple of years...until the Pats just smack them down again.

0-2 Seahawks can't afford to rub Bam Bam's nose in it, though they have every right to do so. It's understood now they need him, nuff said.

Edited by caracas1914
Bam Bam is back! Don't get me wrong, I'm still not happy that he pulled that stunt in the first place, but I'm glad he's back. Hopefully having their defense back to normal means the Seahawks can knock it off with the losing.

I originally thought that Kam Chancellor was in the middle of contract negotiations, and wanted more cash, but no, he's in the middle of his existing contract, refused to report to training camp and is being fined. Dude is only (ha - only) making $4.6 million this year, and already has incurred penalities of over $2 million?? And now he's coming back with no change? What was the point??

If it was only money - well Kam - you kinda blew it dude...

Coughlin is lucky this game wasnt close at the end. He should know by now you cant challenge a scoring play since they're automatically reviewed. Losing that last timeout with over 3 and a half minutes left could have been disastrous.

Im glad we finally got a win though.

Nice to finally watch a Giants game in which the other team is doing a better job of shooting itself in the foot.  We could be 3-0 right now if not for stupid mistakes (I know, if a frog had wings ...).

• Love 1

Kam wrote a check to the Seahawks for one million dollars to cover his fine. Oh, to have that luxury.

He might be regretting that down the line considering how many professional athletes go broke once they stop playing. Think of the income he could have generated if he'd invested that million instead of handing it back to the Seahakws. What a complete idiot.

• Love 2

I was going to say that. It seems to me that the Thursday night games are generally sloppier. Even though this one was high scoring. Is it worth it to push your product on the market so much that the quality suffers?

18 games only once per week is different than the short weeks ansynchonous schedule that there is now with Thursday nights. It's the being on Thursdays every week that I'm hypothesizing is degrading the quality of the game.  

The Thursday night game was the leverage the league needed to get NFL Network on basic cable on most systems. That means an additional dollar of revenue every month from pretty much any household that has cable. 

And pre-season games do big numbers relative to other programming, so I'm not sure how much fans care about the level of play.

Edited by xaxat

Interestingly, I forget who it was, but someone on the sports radio circuit was saying players like Thursday games because there is not as much gameplanning, its more just go out there and play.

My suspicion as well though is the quality is low from lack of preparation. We saw this last year for several weeks in a row at the start of the season.

Peyton Manning can't even take off his own cleats, and it looks like retirement is imminent

From Von Valkenburg: (

The audacity of Peyton Manning)

He begins with his cleats, which he can barely untie without assistance. A Broncos equipment staffer helps peel them off his feet while he does a radio interview, because after nearly 25 years of football dating back to high school, it's a relief to not have to bend over that far. Next come his shoulder pads, which, when yanked over his head, generate a groan that is a mixture of suffering and sweet relief. Manning's pale arms and torso are covered in fresh scrapes and old bruises, some the color of strawberries, others a shade of eggplant.

His socks come off after several violent tugs, revealing toes that are twisted and bent into obtuse angles. When he removes a thick blue DonJoy knee brace from his stiff left leg, he twice pauses to grimace and gather himself before stripping it off and handing it to a staffer for safekeeping.

<snip>

He was grinning like a high school kid, but each time it happened, he winced in pain, looking every bit like a 39-year-old man with a sore neck who wished he could see the hits coming, if only so he could brace himself for such a hearty celebration.

I have a lot of respect for Peyton and I can't imagine what he's going through. It must be incredibly hard to still have the drive to play, to see Tom Brady only a year his junior still playing on a top team, and to not be able to make his body do what he wants it to do. I just hope whatever happens that he doesn't get seriously injured playing beyond when he's okay to play.

• Love 2

Cincinnati is looking like the big winner this week. Obviously the season is still young and anything could happen, but they're 3-0, the Ravens are 0-3 (!), and Big Ben looks like he's going to miss at least a few games. They may never see an easier path to the division crown.

• Love 1

Colts looked horrible even in a win.

Pep Hamitlon is clueless how to run this offense or how to combat a blitzing team with a bad a OL. They play better when behind and desparate.

The pass D was bad as well but at least there is an excuse for that, have many injuries in the secondary.

Cincinnati is looking like the big winner this week. Obviously the season is still young and anything could happen, but they're 3-0, the Ravens are 0-3 (!), and Big Ben looks like he's going to miss at least a few games. They may never see an easier path to the division crown.

Yes bengals will never get another chance like this. They should cruise to the division title if Ben is out long (guessing he will be ) and should have a chance for a top seed in the AFC.

AFC just looks incredibly weak.

The team that looks best so far is Arizona. Crushing San Fran. Good on offense and defense.

Already seeing serious overreaction to the Pats start. Mention of them going 16-0, being better than in 2007, just pencil them in for the AFC title game, etc.

Just like last year when they strarted slow and everyone overreacted, so this year. Its crazy to talk about a team going undefeated after 3 games. Especially when two of those games were over traditionally bad teams, even if Buffalo is better this year.

Pitt and Dallas found out quick how things can change.

You're trying to make me cry, aren't you?

I'm already crying. Aaron next week with Eli and Flacco yet to come, not to mention Palmer again (if he stays healthy) and Wilson and that 'Hawk D twice. A split with the Rams wouldn't shock me either. It's gonna be a loooooooooong year for the scarlet and gold.

Edited by Snowprince

After all the years of emotional scars that the Bengals have inflicted on their fans, we deserve some success. But I know we'll never win a playoff game with Dalton. The guy does just fine in normal circumstances, but the second the spotlight gets anywhere near him, he chokes worse than Romo.

• Love 1

Already seeing serious overreaction to the Pats start. Mention of them going 16-0, being better than in 2007, just pencil them in for the AFC title game, etc.

Just like last year when they strarted slow and everyone overreacted, so this year. Its crazy to talk about a team going undefeated after 3 games. Especially when two of those games were over traditionally bad teams, even if Buffalo is better this year.

Pitt and Dallas found out quick how things can change.

I agree. I'm a diehard Pats fan but I'm not putting the cart before the horse. Their defense has looked sketchy and they haven't really played anyone yet who can give them a run for their money. Buffalo was coming back late in the game and likely could have won if they hadn't made stupid mistakes and gotten so many penalties. Jacksonville is garbage, and Pittsburgh had several key players missing for the opener. Edited by BitterApple

I agree.  It's way too early to start talking about 16-0.

I will give the Patriots credit though for staying hungry after all these years.  They are able to take any slight, perceived and otherwise and use it as motivation.

• Love 1

Well maybe the Pats won't go 16-0, heheheh...but c'mmon in that division I don't think it's a stretch they can go anywhere from 10-6 to 13-3, all things being equal. I know, I know injuries...

As to the NINERS, Colin Kapernick , WTF, that was some game.....I don't think it's too soon to panic or overreact with how he's playing. Their defense can't keep them close in games anymore, their running game is kaput so they have to have Colin actually pass well for them to win. His receivers didn't exactly hide their frustration Sunday.

Niners, be very afraid. I don't mean to bring some of you to tears...

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

I support breast cancer awareness and donate what I can to cancer research (ask me about my breast cancer quilts, etc).   But the pepto bismol pink the NFL uses, well it has me reaching for the pepto.   Honestly can they find a better shade?

• Love 1

I support breast cancer awareness and donate what I can to cancer research (ask me about my breast cancer quilts, etc).   But the pepto bismol pink the NFL uses, well it has me reaching for the pepto.   Honestly can they find a better shade?

I'm not sure if they are still partners with the league, but you can blame the Susan G. Komen Foundation for the adoption that color.  They are very specific about their brand. 

Does either team want to win this game? Because both teams have tried their damndest to give it away. Sending Scobee out for a super long field goal when you could punt, when he's been just OH SO GOOD this season? (I honestly can't believe he missed TWO in like the last 8 minutes. What does the guy have to do to get cut? There HAS to be a better kicker on the street somewhere.) For the Ravens: two and a half minutes left and you've been running the ball well and you call 4 pass plays to go 4-and-out (special mention to Flacco for taking a sack on 4th down)? But the worst was calling a fake field goal when you're only down 3 with over a quarter left to play. What a moronic call. Wtf was Harbaugh thinking?

That was terrible. I mean, I'm sure it's easy to coach here from my couch but if im staring at 4th and 2 or 4th and 1 - I'm pretty sure my plan of "hand that shit to Leveon Bell" is WAY better than "trust my aging, fragile backup QB." :|

Oh, and that kicker... SMH

• Love 4

The play call was horrible, but I can't get with the announcers' "I can't believe they didn't kick it" hand wringing.  Odds of picking up a yard (again, with a different play) vs. odds of a kicker who's fucked up more than once at 40-ish yards making a FG at 50-ish?  When a miss either way means turning it over on downs in an area of the field the defense has a decent chance of handling.  Yeah, I'm going for it. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I can't believe that game either.    What the hell was up with Harbaugh calling the trick plays.   If a team is having problems with regular plays, getting creative is not the answer.   Thankfully, this year it is Pittburgh's turn to be the place kickers go to die.   Seriously, their original kicker got hurt in preseason, so they turned to Garrett Hartley who failed miserably, now Josh Scobee is going "wide right."   Just sad.

Yes the game at 9:30 will be shown in its entirety.   They did this last year and it got huge ratings.   Personally, I love it.   3 more hours of football on Sunday.

• Love 1

Hmm. Well that was an unexpected first win, I have to say. The Ravens have just been too soft this season, especially on defense. Dean Pees is an awful DC, and the longer he sticks around, the more likely it's going to be that John Harbaugh's job comes under threat.

Luckily, the Steelers also have a soft defense, and an aged Michael Vick at QB. And a kicker who will get all the blame for a generally poor team and coaching performance. Having said that, I don't know why NFL teams keep going for kicker retreads, because they rarely seem to work. Look at Justin Tucker, he was an UDFA who won the starting job in Training Camp, and he's become one of the best kickers in the league. He wasn't even the most highly rated kicker to come out of college in 2012, either (both Walsh and Zuerlein were actually drafted that year).

Nice to see the Ravens' running game show up, and Campanaro get some meaningful snaps. And some defensive production from new guys like Za'Darius Smith and Will Davis.

I'm glad my Giants aren't the only team that can throw a game away.  Baltimore had NO BUSINESS winning that game last night.  The Steelers completely lost it.

As for kickers, the Steelers should sign Sam Ficken from PSU.  I've watched enough PSU games to know that he's worth a try.