Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Yikes. The Cowboys marching down the field so quickly made it more obvious how much the Giants miss JPP and Beason. I was shocked that Romo didn't throw his typical interception.

The Bills look good. I have learned not to get excited so early so I'm going to take this win in stride.

Edited by twoods

I am glad that football is back. :)

I think that there have been some really nice highlights this week so far. (There was also some ugly playing going on today as well with teams like the Browns/Indy/Texans) I thought that Marcus Mariota and Tyrod Taylor both looked great today. Marcus played extremely well and looked like a very good NFL starting QB. I also enjoyed seeing Tyrod have success in his start with the Bills. I think that the Bills could end up doing well this year.

There was also quite a bit of injuries today (Josh McCown, Luke Kuechly suffering concussions, Derek Carr hurting his hand.) Plus now it being reported that Dez Bryant broke a bone in his foot and will be out 4 to 6 weeks. I definitely wonder how these injuries might end up affecting teams. Dez's injury for sure is a big hit to the Cowboys. I thought they played great tonight at the end without him, but his injury will definitely have a big impact on their team.

Edited by Jx223

HOLY COW(Boys!) Man, that was amazing! I never understand why teams are not able to move the ball for more than three quarters of play, but the last 2 minutes - boom!

It's called a prevent defense. The defense will put in a dime package (six defensive backs) and give the wideouts big cushions in hopes of preventing a big play. Ideally a defender come up and tackles the wideout in bounds after a catch, it takes awhile for the offense to move up to the line of scrimmage after each long pass play, and time runs out. But this RARELY EVER WORKS. 

The Giants did a lot of stupid toward the end there. I believe at one point Eli had the ball snapped with 17 seconds left on the play clock. Then they called a pass, when a run might have killed 30 more seconds.

• Love 2

I didn't get to see it--was the Ravens-Broncos game as ugly as the box score looks? Because that looks, um, UGLY.

Yes it was.  Not a single red zone play for either team until the last two minutes of the game.  Very boring game. 

It was like I think it was the LSU-Alabama game where it was like 6-3, except each team had an INT returned for a TD

Either both offenses are very bad or both Ds are very good.  Except Baltimore now lost suggs for the year

ANd Ronnie Hillman looked much better than CJ anderson running the ball. 

You could say Manning didn't look good and doesn't have much arm strength, but then what was Flacco's excuse? 

Yes it was.  Not a single red zone play for either team until the last two minutes of the game.  Very boring game. 

It was like I think it was the LSU-Alabama game where it was like 6-3, except each team had an INT returned for a TD

Either both offenses are very bad or both Ds are very good.  Except Baltimore now lost suggs for the year

ANd Ronnie Hillman looked much better than CJ anderson running the ball. 

You could say Manning didn't look good and doesn't have much arm strength, but then what was Flacco's excuse? 

It depends on what you class as boring, really. I loved watching the Ravens' defense in that game. As good as they've been for a long time, even with a couple of players missing. The Broncos got nothing on the ground until that long drive in the 4th quarter, where the Ravens' front 7 started to tire.

If they can play like that for the rest of the season, they're looking like a top 5 defense, easily. Even without Sizzle, who will be sorely missed.

The offense, on the other hand.... Ugly, but I'm willing to put that down to the O-line struggling greatly against two of the best pass rushers in the game, and a solid D-line for the Broncos.

Even as a Steelers fan, I'll miss T Sizzle. He and James Harrison are the last players left from the great early/mid 2000s Steelers Ravens rivalry. With the current emphasis on safety we'll probably never see a rivalry as physical as that one again.

• Love 1

Another infuriating thing about the Giants is that they cut James Jones, despite a good preseason, to make rumor for Preston Parker.  Jones caught 2 TDs yesterday for Green Bay while Parker kept dropping passes, including a big one that really would have helped the Giants.

• Love 1

The NY Giants can't grasp how to take time off the clock. To let 30 to 40 seconds that you could have whittled away with little risk to you remain is baffling.   Eli Manning, I always have to remind myself he's a two time Super Bowl winning Quarterback.

Apparently the Giants lost track of how many time outs the Cowboys had, and intentionally tried not to score.

Seriously? Holy hell, that's amateur hour. Just get some junior assistant to run inside, put the game on TV and see how many timeouts Fox or CBS or whoever say the Cowboys have got, if you can't keep count yourselves.

• Love 1

Seriously? Holy hell, that's amateur hour. Just get some junior assistant to run inside, put the game on TV and see how many timeouts Fox or CBS or whoever say the Cowboys have got, if you can't keep count yourselves.

To be fair to the coaches, apparently it was Eli's mistake. Coughlin gave an interview saying Eli was the one saying not to score.

Oh, Eli...you're so lucky you have the last name that you do.

Edited by stealinghome

Oh Philiadelphia...what'd you do? Breaking my heart. The first half you were asleep, the second you were kicking butt and taking names, then you rush your kicker and that interception!! *cries*

Guess I really will be rooting for the Cowboys next week.

Yay Travis Kelce for that TD celebration. There was a bit of Warner Bros/Looney Tunes about that wind-up & punch.

I don't really jones for football players (I love the game more than any player), but I could arrange to make an exception.  For him.

I can't believe Chip Kelly attempted a field goal.  Colin Cowherd is right when he says that in today's NFL, you can expect to kick a field goal with a minute and thirty left and not expect the other team to have enough time to drive the ball down the field and score a TD.  He was talking about the Giants in that regard but still, it applies here to a certain degree.  Kelly made his reputation on taking chances and didn't follow through with that last night.

I hated the Bears unis too. I thought they were throwbacks.

It amuses me how many people thought the Browns looked like Syracuse because Syracuse's uniforms are HORRIFIC and I wish they would go back to blue shirts with orange pants.

The problem with those Niners uniforms was the lack of contrast. The red and black blended together. The helmet on top was too startling -- mismatched, like they lost the matching helmets and just had to slap on the gold ones they had lying around. I thought they looked like lit fuses.

• Love 1
every freaking version [of uniform] Oregon wears

God isn't that the truth.  I dwell in ASU fandom and those things are mocked unceasingly.

As a Chiefs fan, I despisehateloatheandvomiton the Donk-os, but every ad Peyton makes is Madison Avenue gold.  Damn him.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 1

On any given day I find Romo to be infuriatingly punchable but my newspaper this morning went over the top. I mean, look at this expression!

Looking at that, I keep thinking "When you have two SB MVP trophies sitting on your mantle, you can gloat..."

• Love 3

On any given day I find Romo to be infuriatingly punchable but my newspaper this morning went over the top. I mean, look at this expression!

Looking at that, I keep thinking "When you have two SB MVP trophies sitting on your mantle, you can gloat..."

In Romo's defense, doesn't he always have that stupid little grin on his face? Even when the Cowboys lose. And Eli always looks like he's about to cry.

• Love 3

Objectively, yes. 

TO was a jerk, no question. Plus, he had a huge arrest record for all those DUIs and gun charges. And all the steroid use. Except not. I was always confounded how much that was heaped on him when other players with comparable talent had literal arrest records. Oh, he mouthed off a lot and you didn't like it? Boo hoo. Tell him to stfu then. 

Seriously, I'd rather be in a locker room with someone who acted like a jerk a lot and like to run his mouth than someone who carries guns to strip clubs, beats his gf/wife, ran a multistate crime ring, or killed someone while driving drunk. cf., take your pick. 

I don't think TO will get in anytime soon. 

The HOF is weird with WRs, there is a backlog it seems and they make them wait to get in.  Marvin Harrison has been eligible a few years and is not in, and I don't think it has anything to do with his post playing troubles and rumors.  Cris Carter got in before Marvin Harrison, I don't think anyone would argue Carter was the better player.  he just had been waiting several years to get in

Art Monk waited a long time.  Marvin should get in before TO.  Comparable career numbers and Harrison has a title, TO does not, and at least during his playing time Marvin Harrison was a great teammate, never caused locker room trouble

My favorite Marvin Harrison-Manning memory is when they broke the record for TDs by a WR-QB duo, afterwards they each kept trying to give the other person the TD ball to kept.  It wasn't an act, they each wanted the other to have it. 

Tim Brown as well waited a long time to make it

Edited by DrSpaceman73

I saw part of the CBS broadcast of NFL Network show "Undrafted." What happens to those players who left college early but were cut by NFL teams during pre-season? Are they able to rejoin college teams to get more training and experience?

Edited by K-9

I saw part of the CBS broadcast of NFL Network show "Undrafted." What happens to those players who left college early but were cut by NFL teams during pre-season? Are they able to rejoin college teams to get more training and experience?

Nope. They're shit outta luck. Sit home, keep in shape and hope the phone rings.

What prevents a cut player with remaining NCAA eligibility from going back to play for their college? Sure, his full-ride scholarship has already been given to another player. The athlete may have to find a student loan fast. But the college team could make room for a talented unsigned player.

Edited by K-9

I believe you forfeit your remaining eligibility when you officially declare for the draft. Like, you're not an "amateur" anymore. As if they ever were. 

You can in baseball though, you just remain property of the team that drafted you if you return to college. 

Peter King once made a comment about the Hall of Fame selection process.   He said he noticed that the more discussion there was about a player's deserving to be in, the less likely the player was to get in.   I thought about it and realized that made sense.   This is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good (tm PFRA).   The people who deserve to be in are the ones you look at and go "Wow, yeah HIM."    That even casual fans of the game have heard of him and what he did on the field.   If you have to start comparing stats and records, well, then it is NOT obvious that person is Hall of Fame, the best of the best.    He's just a really good player.   

Which is the problem with the WRs.   Very few of them make you go "OH WOW" when you think of their game exploits.    You knew they made a difference in the game.   But you didn't really go "yeah the team was hopeless without him."   So you're reduced to going "but he had this many catches and the other guy only had that many."   Or  "look at the yards after catch compared to so and so."   Which is why some of them wait to get in, the selectors go "oh man, WR backlock, PICK ONE, quick."   Okay maybe not exactly, but they realize they need to do something so the decide on one and move on to the next name.

I saw this story about women playing fantasy football on my local news yesterday and they played it on the CBS Evening News tonight and I still hate it. I find it condescending, especially when that one chick says her husband can watch football without her complaining or whatever she said.

They're still treating female football fans like some weird new hybrid of human that needs to be viewed under a microscope.

• Love 9

I've been playing fantasy football with women for over 15 years. I find that attitude as deplorable as the "ZOMG chicks like Doctor Who and play video games!" Uh, yes.

If you have to start comparing stats and records, well, then it is NOT obvious that person is Hall of Fame, the best of the best.    He's just a really good player.

Yes and no. WR is a quirky position, but the eras of football have changed fairly rapidly. There's not those concrete milestones like baseball. I can see why there's some delay. TO won't get voted in because people don't like him. I think there's a lot less players in football that people say HIM, but are still HOF players. 

Every time Peyton Manning gets hit, I cringe and hold my breath a little waiting to see if he gets up. And I don't even like him. I really, really hope he has the sense to know when it's time, and doesn't get himself seriously injured.

"it's time" was about 8 months ago. Now he's starting over with a new offensive coordinator, a talent deficient O-line, and half the arm he used to have.

He also just passed 70,000 passing yards and is only about 1300 behind Bret Favre.   You figure it out why he hasn't called time on his career.

This is killing me.   I got court at 8:30 a.m.  

Never mind.   that lovely interception just meant I can go to bed.