Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Yeah, that was just an okay game. I would say the Steelers beat themselves more than the Pats beat them, though I do think the Pats (or at least Brady/Gronk/Edelman) deserved the win, they were the better team. Both teams' Ds need serious work, though. And you could tell both teams were knocking off the rust. Dion Lewis, though. He's one to watch.

There was no way New England was losing this game. Especially since Brady has owned the Steelers throughout his career.

• Love 1

I'm a Boston girl and admitted Pats fan, so I was happy they won, but their defense played like garbage. Ben could have made himself a cup of tea and read the newspaper with all the time they were giving him to throw. I also have a feeling Malcolm Butler is going to be one of those guys who made one unforgettable play and them sucked for the rest of his career. I know he wasn't a starter last year, but IMO, he seemed lost out there.

Edited by BitterApple

*Every* team plays the 'disrespect' or 'underdog' card whenever possible. That's professional sports. "Unseemly", really? It's unseemly that a man who literally knocked his wife out in the elevator or another that ran a multistate crime ring are still allowed to play in this league. Or someone who drove drunk and killed a person. And the other one that did that.

See I think it's ok to hate all those things. It's not an either/or situation.

Well, I only managed to stay awake through the first quarter (Sunday afternoon games are my friend). Nice to see the Panthers ex player Deangelo Williams making a name for himself over on the Steelers. He is sorely missed from out roster.

In the interest of full disclosure I despise both teams that played last night but picked the Patriots to win. So, yay me I guess!

Pats played better but I agree both defenses looked pretty bad. 

Pittsburgh had 3 scoring oppurtunities in the first half and scored 3 points.  That lost the game for them.  Two missed FGs and Darius heyward-bey screws up an easy TD by stepping out of bounds, which is typical for him.  I watched him a whole season in Indy and he is completely worthless.  He ended up on special teams by the end of the year, wasn't event being used as a WR. The in the second half another trip to the one yeard line and come away with a FG.  4 scoring zone opprtunities and 6 points......not beat the Pats that way.

Not only do the Steelers lose, but Scobee misses two FGs, they go for two one another so he doesn't get the extra point and they take out DeAngelo Williams AT THE FREAKIN GOAL LINE after he runs up and down the field against them to prevent me from scoring about 20 fantasy points. 

Thanks Pitt.  I go back to hating you now in every other game. 

I also have a feeling Malcolm Butler is going to be one of those guys who made one unforgettable play and them sucked for the rest of his career. I know he wasn't a starter last year, but IMO, he seemed lost out there.

I don't know, I thought he made some okay plays--Brown catching it off his helmet was just a damn good play by Brown, for example. Brown is in the top 5 of hardest guys to cover right now so I cut Butler a little slack; Butler didn't look great last night but some of the other DBs looked worse (Fletcher, the safeties quite often). I think the bigger issue is that the Pats are relying on him to be the #1 because they don't have anyone else, and he's just not a #1 at this stage of his career. Ideally he'd have time to get more seasoned....

I do expect the Pats' D to get better because they were all-around horrible last night. No one had a good game. But this happened last year too and they pulled it together--no way the D will be as good as last year but it won't be this bad either I don't think. I HOPE.

I felt badly for thinking it, but if Scobee wasn't good enough for the Jags to keep...

I mean, that first field goal miss was BAD.

(Ok apparently it was a trade and not a release but still)

Edited by mojoween

I really wish Al Michaels would drop his coy "This late score is going to matter for a whole lot of people if you know what I mean. . . wink wink." shtick. 

Either come out and say it's a cover/push (which he might not be allowed to do) or don't say anything. 

• Love 1

I don't think they're allowed to talk about gambling lines. Musberger does it too iirc. Or used to at least. 

The Pats were the better team and should have won. 25/32 is going to win some games. The Steelers didn't do themselves any favors though. Terrible execution on offense. I think most games this weekend will be like that. Typically,

I'm not a fan of weekly Thursday night games though, except for the first one. I think they tend to be sloppy overall.

I felt badly for thinking it, but if Scobee wasn't good enough for the Jags to keep...

I mean, that first field goal miss was BAD.

(Ok apparently it was a trade and not a release but still)

I'm thinking one of the first things this morning the Steelers are doing is looking for a field goal kicker.

ETA: Man, the Patriots have "balls", I tell ya. Arrogance and balls.

Steelers website alleges headsets worked only when NFL reps nearby

Tomlin, Steelers address headset problem.

Convenient that the "grounding" issue and weather didn't affect the Pats.

The Pats have cheated so much in the past, and cheated this way with the headsets, that I completely believe it.

• Love 1

they take out DeAngelo Williams AT THE FREAKIN GOAL LINE after he runs up and down the field against them to prevent me from scoring about 20 fantasy points. 

Have him on my fantasy team too (as a handcuff for Leveon Bell). That being said, I've watched his entire career in Carolina, and he's never been a good goal line option. Unless you want to go backwards.

I'm thinking one of the first things this morning the Steelers are doing is looking for a field goal kicker.

Convenient that the "grounding" issue and weather didn't affect the Pats..

If I'm the Steelers, I'm absolutely looking for a new kicker today. That game looks very different if Scobee hits those FGs. There HAS to be a better kicker on the street somewhere. The Jags are laughing all the way to the draft bank.

The headset issues did affect the Pats. Brady was PISSED on the field at one point because he couldn't get the play call.

Regarding the headsets, the announcers said officials turned off the system for BOTH teams until the glitch was straightened out. It wasn't like the Pats were playing for two quarters with their radios while the Steelers coaches couldn't communicate.

Edited by BitterApple

Holy crap, the Steelers tight ends coach allegedly assaulted a Pats fan at halftime, then yelled at the police when they came to talk to him. If it's true, what a dumbass.

I'm sure the league will respond by stripping the Pats of some draft picks.

• Love 5

f

Have him on my fantasy team too (as a handcuff for Leveon Bell). That being said, I've watched his entire career in Carolina, and he's never been a good goal line option. Unless you want to go backwards.

I am not sure how he could have done worse than the guys Pitt had in their trying to score instead.  Not really impressive goal line offense. 

Yes, the headset issues affect both teams and it happens everywhere, but far more stories like these happen at NE than anywhere else.  This one was probably a fluke, but I doubt they all are.  And I think the media and the league does need to keep after and will keep after looking into every little thing like this that happens in NE.  Call it what you want, but the lack of real scrutiny and allowing them to dismiss and deny for years is what has allowed their tactics to go on for so long.  If Kraft and the Pats thought that one overturned court decision would end the scrutiny and questions, I think they are badly mistaken. 

• Love 2

Sure it was the headsets that made Scobee miss 2 field goals.   It was the headsets that kept the Steelers D from covering Gronk -- multiple times.   

The Steelers got outplayed.   Period.   They should just admit that and move on.   Whining only makes them look like sore losers.   Which is a sad image for a team with a long proud history of being tough and fighting hard.

• Love 8

Yeah, I used to respect the Steelers a lot more, but they've become so WHINY under Tomlin (who, let's not forget, tried to fricking trip a player a few years ago). There's always an excuse, it seems. I wasn't a big Bill Cowher fan but I don't remember his teams crying nearly as much

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

Sure it was the headsets that made Scobee miss 2 field goals. It was the headsets that kept the Steelers D from covering Gronk -- multiple times.

I'm sure it was also the headsets that prevented their wide receiver from ensuring he had both feet in bounds before he caught that touchdown pass in the end zone. I understand there's a lot of Pats hate out there but this is getting ridiculous. The Steelers made several mental mistakes, they slept on Gronkowski and their kicker blew two easy field goals. Enough with the whining already.

• Love 1
See I think it's ok to hate all those things. It's not an either/or situation.

My point was that the media coverage seemed way way more outraged about deflated footballs than when it comes to actual criminal activity overall. It'a a matter of pov. "Unseemly" for what amounts to scuffing a baseball is patently ridiculous. Fundamentally the league needs a much better framework to deal with all this. 

• Love 3

I personally think it's "unseemly"  to make a capital case out of deflated footballs but let wife beaters and criminals slide.  

I laughed when the Patriots won this first game and Brady played like none of the backstage bullshit had affected him at all.  And whatshisname didn't have the guts to be present at the game.  What a bizarre circus the NFL is.

• Love 2

The NFL needs to realize that they're not as fundamental to the fabric of American society as they think they are. I really hope the next CBA negotiations cancel the entire season and they all get that reality check. And I'm pro-union. 

If every time when there's a major issue, you end up in court and can't find a solution based on your CBA, then you're all at fault.

• Love 1

I have been a Giants fan for almost 30 years. I have a red and blue NY tattoo. I am ALLL about the G-Men.

However. While I also love OBJ and am happy he plays for New York, the coverage is getting over the top. Does anyone care that the Giants lost that Cowboys game? That the catch could have never happened and nothing would be different?

I've always liked how low-key the Giants are and don't want the hype machine to foul this team. I hope OBJ can be as dynastic as possible on the field and this off-field stuff is not a distraction.

• Love 1

Good game by the Bills. Pathetic by the Colts. Once again they come out unprepared. Deserved to lose

Will be interesting to see Bills now play NE. Much harder match up for NE than the awful Pitt D.

St Louis might knock off Seattle, up by 3 in OT

Good news for Colts is Houston and Jax also lose, Tenn plays later

The NFL needs to realize that they're not as fundamental to the fabric of American society as they think they are. I really hope the next CBA negotiations cancel the entire season and they all get that reality check. And I'm pro-union. 

If every time when there's a major issue, you end up in court and can't find a solution based on your CBA, then you're all at fault.

Completely agree with the last part. I don't trust much either the NFL or the NFLPA says or claims about anything anymore.

• Love 1

Rams finish off the game. Big win. I like Fisher as a coach. teams always play tough. He has had the unfortuneate situation of playing against Manning for years in his division and now against Seattle in his new gig.

He is the only coach since 2002 to beat Manning for a division title in a year where Manning was active.

• Love 1

Agreed. I think they are blinded by their TV ratings though.

The last year has shown that, for all of the crowing about those ratings and revenues, the operations of the NFL are pretty poorly run. Their legal department is routinely defeated in court/arbitration. They had no plan for handling footballs. Compare that to baseball, whose procedures (mud from the left hand side of a creek in Mississippi, humidors in Colorado) are almost mythological. Despite years of complaints from the coaches, they can't get the sideline headsets to work properly. (Seriously, how hard can that be?) And, of course, the initial Ray Rice "investigation".

Goodell gets forty million a year for that kind of performance?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

However. While I also love OBJ and am happy he plays for New York, the coverage is getting over the top. Does anyone care that the Giants lost that Cowboys game? That the catch could have never happened and nothing would be different?

I thought it was hilarious how last year all anybody could talk about the next day was that catch. The Cowboys winning was such an afterthought, which was terribly unusual in the media's coverage of the Cowboys.

How appallingly, god-awful were those Browns' uniforms? From far enough away they almost looked like Syracuse.

• Love 1

I like Eli saying, about the ODB catch and Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl, "You have to throw two pretty bad balls to be part of two of the greatest catches in the game, so I don't know if it's something I should really be proud of." 

• Love 1

So, maybe giving it to Marshawn Lynch with one yard to go wasn't the guaranteed touchdown everyone said it was in February?

I can only speak for myself, but I never thought it was a guaranteed touchdown. I just thought it was a better call than throwing it. Russell Wilson is not consistent with his arm.

The Rams played really well today. I was a wreck, but the game was good. I wanted out defense to be better because despite being a fan, I don't like what Kam Chancellor js doing with his holdout. He signed the contract which was negotiated by his representative. If he thought he could get a better contract then he should have done so then. Doing it mid-contract is a shady move, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 1

The Giants deserved to lose that game.  They played not to lose and they lost.  Gutless decision-making by Coughlin.  I saw the Giants lose a game against the Chargers several years ago because they settled for a field goal to make the lead 26-20 in the final two minutes and that's EXACTLY what they did here.  Bad decision as well by Eli to not take a sack.

• Love 1