Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

The Ravens almost made me sad, but fortunately, they didn't.  Because I don't need to be more sad this weekend. 

Me, too, but I'm a Ravens fan.  I suspect more people just wanted the Eagles to lose.  Cowboy fans?  I'll be rooting for the Eagles to win their division.  They only have to win half their games for that, right?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

Holy Crap, they benched Rodgers.

In other news, Good Lord, are the Jets horrible. How the hell does Gase still have a job?

Benched Brady, too?  I just flipped to the game from the highlights on the NFL network.

Can the Jets get anyone to coach this year?  Maybe with a fresh start next year...

2 minutes ago, Johann said:
5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Holy Crap, they benched Rodgers.

In other news, Good Lord, are the Jets horrible. How the hell does Gase still have a job?

Benched Brady, too?  I just flipped to the game from the highlights on the NFL network.

Can the Jets get anyone to coach this year?  Maybe with a fresh start next year...

Meh.  I would have been more shocked if Green Bay kept Aaron in the game.  Same with Tom.

The New York Jets are going to be the franchise that results in an NFL lottery, I think.  As much as I rip on winless teams, at least Cleveland & Detroit had respect for the game and had a shot on several occasions

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Did FOX make him do this because Thom Brenneman left?

Because I can’t imagine Joe Buck chose to do a random Green Bay/Tampa Bay game in the middle of October rather than game seven of a league championship series.

I mean, regardless of which game he did today, he would still have tomorrow off before the World Series starts.

Or wait, is he calling Buffalo/Kansas City tomorrow?  He can’t be, because that would be like 14 days straight of scheduled games.

Buck called two games on the same day not too long ago.  I think the "magnitude" of the game had something to do with why Buck was on the call for it.  Following the conclusion of it, I guess Buck would rather have called the NLCS.  Though it makes me wonder why the NLCS didn't start last Sunday and the ALCS swapping to start on Monday!  But I think Joe calls Bucs/Packers even if Thom Brenneman hadn't been kicked out.

Fortunately, TPTB and/or whomever were smart enough to avoid a similar conflict with Nantz as it relates to the games scheduled to be played on Week 10

11 minutes ago, Carey said:

Buck called two games on the same day not too long ago.  I think the "magnitude" of the game had something to do with why Buck was on the call for it.  Following the conclusion of it, I guess Buck would rather have called the NLCS.  Though it makes me wonder why the NLCS didn't start last Sunday and the ALCS swapping to start on Monday!  But I think Joe calls Bucs/Packers even if Thom Brenneman hadn't been kicked out.

Fortunately, TPTB and/or whomever were smart enough to avoid a similar conflict with Nantz as it relates to the games scheduled to be played on Week 10

The ALCS had to start earlier due to travel. The NLCS is being played at the park where they will play the WS.

7 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The ALCS had to start earlier due to travel. The NLCS is being played at the park where they will play the WS.

Oh I see.  Makes sense; thank you

24 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He came in super late.

Thanks.  I figured, since I hadn't heard, that he must have come in after they got a lead.

So, weird moment:

Was just watching football game, looked down to read a post here, looked back up where the tv was showing a ball (I assumed) going into the upper deck.  Who the hell threw a pass so bad it went up to the upper deck?

Oh.  S.O. switched to baseball game and Atlanta had hit a homerun.

Nevermind.

Edited by Johann
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Meh.  I would have been more shocked if Green Bay kept Aaron in the game.  Same with Tom.

The New York Jets are going to be the franchise that results in an NFL lottery, I think.  As much as I rip on winless teams, at least Cleveland & Detroit had respect for the game and had a shot on several occasions

The Jets should be the franchise that brings about relegation. Create a lower league and stick them there until they can  earn their way to the big leagues. 

• LOL 6

Not only are the Jets bad, they really aren't competitive. The lost by nine points to the Broncos and ten to the Bills. Every other game has been by twenty points or more. And they are a shitshow behind the scenes.

Is management keeping Gase around to ensure the Lawrence pick?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Not only are the Jets bad, they really aren't competitive. The lost by nine points to the Broncos and ten to the Bills. Every other game has been by twenty points or more. And they are a shitshow behind the scenes.

Is management keeping Gase around to ensure the Lawrence pick?

Possibly.  Personally, the main reason it sucks is due to the fact that Lawrence would be in the AFC, which I feared after the Pats dominance (both in the AFC & in the NFC whenever possible), during the current Mahomes era, and well before Burrow & before Lamar progressed throughout the season.  Though I did mention this while Brady was still with New England with a possibility of that for several more years.

Despite that, I would've been surprised if he had ended up in the NFC.  Whenever there's a decent QB on deck, there are more AFC teams that would aggressively punt until the following season in order to obtain that top pick.  It would be interesting to know how Trevor will handle it, because he'd be better off pursuing a career outside of football than to wreck his life thanks to being a part of the Jets organization

Thank Giants for beating Washington.   Much appreciated.   Kept Dallas alone in 1st place in the division.  

The Tua moment is even more special if you know what he is actually doing.   I caught a tweet later about it.   he is Facetiming his parents.   They couldn't be at the game because of travel restrictions.   It's his first game since his injury so he wanted to share the moment with his parents, from the line where he last played a game (because he couldn't remember where the last Dolphins' drive ended in the game).  

• Love 14
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Thank Giants for beating Washington.   Much appreciated.   Kept Dallas alone in 1st place in the division.  

Even if the Cowboys lose tonight, they're still going to be in first with a 2-4 record. LOL. I don't have the math skills to figure it out but I wonder what the lowest number of wins is to win the division from here on out considering they haven't played all the divisional games yet. 

12 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

Even if the Cowboys lose tonight, they're still going to be in first with a 2-4 record. LOL. I don't have the math skills to figure it out but I wonder what the lowest number of wins is to win the division from here on out considering they haven't played all the divisional games yet. 

I assume it would be 5.  If every team loses all the non-division games, then its only the 6 division games.  They have played on vs. the giants and have 5 left.  If you figure they win 3 of those and go 4-2 overall, that should be enough to win the vision.  Its gives all other teams at least one division loss.   Maybe even 4 I suppose depending on how all the division head to heads play out, but 5 if no one else wins any non-division games I think would do it. 

A few 7 wins teams have won divisions, Seattle at 7-9 and Panthers at 7-8-1.  For non-strike years in the current 16 game format those are the lower division winners.  7 I think will definitely win the NFC east this year and possible even 6 wins. 

And actually both Seattle and Carolina went on to win playoff games those years

Monday Night crew, "The Cowboys have not won the division since 1995 when they had the Triplets. . . they are tying to figure out how to change that."

Hmmmm. What one thing has been a constant during that period?

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Your first place Dallas Cowboys, everybody!

19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Tampa Bay beat Dallas to win the hockey.

LA beat Miami to win the basketball.

Tampa Bay will play LA to determine who wins the baseball.

Guess we are on track for a Bucs - Chargers Super Bowl!

Nah....Cowboys / Dolphins Superbowl sounds right.  It's your Third Place matchup!  Dallas is in first place, AFC East isn't a runaway.  Anything can happen in the postseason; all you have to do is make it!

17 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Your first place Dallas Cowboys, everybody!

And because my cable company is as competent as the NFC East, my DVR recorded seven minutes of the game, that I was planning to watch this morning...

• LOL 1
On 10/19/2020 at 9:24 AM, Mirabelle said:

I don't have the math skills to figure it out but I wonder what the lowest number of wins is to win the division from here on out considering they haven't played all the divisional games yet. 

ESPN ran thousands of simulations and the lowest number was a three way tie for 4-12 with intra-divisional record for the tiebreaker. But the computer predicted 7-9 would win the division.

I was actually thinking about the AFC today, but it's relevant to the NFC East as well.

I still think the Bills will win the AFC East, although it would really be a good idea for them to win some games and not end up being the 4 seed, which is where they are heading at the moment. Just like the winner of the NFC East will be the four seed.  And while the Bills will be a good team and the (I'm guessing the Eagles) will be a not very good team, I'd rather be the NFC team for the first round of the playoffs.

Bills will probably get the second place finisher in the AFC North, so either Ravens or Steelers, which good luck with that. And the Eagles will probably get somebody from the Bears/Saints/Bucs/Rams/Cardinals group.  All of those teams are good, but not scary.

52 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I was actually thinking about the AFC today, but it's relevant to the NFC East as well.

I still think the Bills will win the AFC East, although it would really be a good idea for them to win some games and not end up being the 4 seed, which is where they are heading at the moment. Just like the winner of the NFC East will be the four seed.  And while the Bills will be a good team and the (I'm guessing the Eagles) will be a not very good team, I'd rather be the NFC team for the first round of the playoffs.

Bills will probably get the second place finisher in the AFC North, so either Ravens or Steelers, which good luck with that. And the Eagles will probably get somebody from the Bears/Saints/Bucs/Rams/Cardinals group.  All of those teams are good, but not scary.

It's really 50/50.  The NFC East probably will get pummeled, but if there are any examples of why not, just ask the 2008 Colts, 2010 Saints, and most especially, the 2011 Steelers

Buffalo might actually shut out either Baltimore or Pittsburgh.  Heck, even Vegas since they might be in the mix.  The Colts might still catch Tennessee, so the runner up might have to go to Buffalo.  January football in Buffalo is a nightmare.  Of course, I'll never rule out New England, who could still win the AFC East, or if they don't, finish in 5th in the AFC.  They would be the only team the Bills might not want to see at Orchard Park, with or without Brady

To me, while it's still early and they are clearly a team with the arrows pointing up, the Bills recent results against two of the four really strong AFC teams don't bode well for any games against the other two. 

But it's an excellent point about the fact that they get a home game in January, which is a HUGE advantage. Win the division, get your home game, and take your chances that the wildcard team isn't materially better than you are. 

And as the 4 seed this year, what you're really hoping for is that either the 2 or the 3 loses their first round game, which means you don't have to go play the 1 seed who just got the week off.

• Love 1

The league is at least discussing the idea of a playoff bubble in warm weather cities, so frigid Buffalo and Green Bay may not be the advantage it usually is.

Beyond that, I'd expect that health and Covid availability will be a big part of who wins the season, perhaps the biggest part. Whoever looks strong now could be undone by a breakout during the playoffs. I don't think they'd delay an entire playoff round if, say, one team got three cases to key players before a game. Tough luck for them.

• Love 2

Green Bay has been defeated several times over the past 13 years in their place.  So I probably won't feel bad for them if they lost out on hosting a playoff game.  I might have to check, but I don't think Buffalo has suffered defeat at home prior to when they stopped winning playoff games or hosting playoff games.  I might feel bad for the Bills, but OTOH, they never faced the Ravens during their runs from long ago.  Baltimore might be the only team that would be able to beat them at New Era in their current form.

I don't think COVID is permanent, wouldn't bet on it.  Things may somewhat slowly trend toward the old normal.  Might be the old normal mixed with the new normal.  Whatever happens, COVID isn't going anywhere this year.  I think the bubble will work for the postseason.

I'll be honest: I'll feel bad if Dallas loses out on hosting at AT&T.  Not because it'll suck for the Cowboys, but mainly because the NFL added an extra team in the NFC.  Imagine the discussions if certain teams win or lose in January, especially a 5-11 division winner beating at least one team with at least twice as many wins.  The scariest thing is that with the new playoff format, Dallas (or whomever win the NFC East) could possibly host all three weeks of their postseason preceding the Super Bowl

Edited by Carey
9 hours ago, Carey said:

I might have to check, but I don't think Buffalo has suffered defeat at home prior to when they stopped winning playoff games or hosting playoff games.

I checked.   Mostly because I wanted to know.   Since 1963, the Bills have lost 3 times at home in the playoffs.   2 of those losses came in 95 and 96.    both of the losses in the 90s were to warm weather teams - the Dolphins in 95 and the Jaguars in 96.    Those were also the last 2 playoff games hosted in Buffalo.   Winter is not the advantage it once was (the 3rd was allllllll the way back in 1966 to the .... Kansas City Chiefs).

Source:   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/playoffs.htm

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 1

I don't get the point of doing a bubble for the playoffs but not attempting anything like that for the regular season.  I suppose because you don't want playoff games affected by COVID and you can more easily control it with fewer teams, but still, seems pointless to completely ignore the regular season and then go to an extreme like that in the playoffs.

But not much the NFL does makes sense.   I still don't understand why Goodell retains so much for league discipline rather than just setting up a panel of league/player reps to made the decisions.  Why does he want that power in the first place?  Just opens himself up to criticism

• Love 3

Thank you, merylinkid.  The second I saw your post I knew that it wasn't in the mid-90s but thought you meant that they lost at home pre-merger.  Buffalo didn't lose to Miami; they lost at Three Rivers Stadium to the Steelers.  I remember this because that was the game Bruce Smith missed thanks to the flu.  Pittsburgh assumed they could win either way but was so much more confident that Smith was inactive.

The Bills defeated the Dolphins at home, but lost on the road to cold-weather Pittsburgh in '95.  Forgot that Jacksonville won in Orchard Park (though I never forgot the typical upset they created at Denver's expense at Mile High a year before the Broncos won it all as a wild-card team, the first ever)

While we allllllll know who OBJ was talking about, because he didn’t disguise it terribly well even though he didn’t say the name, he’s not wrong about Brady.

OBJ can be super dumb, but he gets more shit than he should.  I’ve come to the realization that I won’t always agree with him, but I am an OBJ apologist.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Hell fire, was that not everything that is wrong with the Giants (and the 1.3 things right about them) on full display in one game?

The Giants whole season was nicely encapsulated by Jones 80 yard run that ended in slapstick. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

The Giants whole season was nicely encapsulated by Jones 80 yard run that ended in slapstick. 

Yes.  The sad part is I was so pleasantly surprised when the subsequent penalty meant they eventually scored the TD, rather than them having seven downs and still coming away with just a FG.  That gave me hope.  I should have known.

One of the funnier jokes I have seen recently was a picture of Cooper Manning and it said something like “it’s too bad Cooper wasn’t a QB like Peyton and Eli” and under that was Cooper scowling and it said “well fuck you then, I’ll make one.”

All of that is to say I’m not going to be mad if the quarterback for the 2027 New York Giants is Arch Manning.

• LOL 4
9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

And blowing a two score lead in five minutes

Really encapsulates not just the giants but the whole nfc east this year.  Who wants to win it!!!?  Not me!!!!

22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

One of the funnier jokes I have seen recently was a picture of Cooper Manning and it said something like “it’s too bad Cooper wasn’t a QB like Peyton and Eli” and under that was Cooper scowling and it said “well fuck you then, I’ll make one.”

All of that is to say I’m not going to be mad if the quarterback for the 2027 New York Giants is Arch Manning.

Well if they keep this it it very well will be him.  

Can they suck like this for another 7 years?  

Challenge accepted!!

And the jets are over there saying, 'suck for seven years?!!?  Hah!!!  Get back to me when you reach half a century!!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2020 at 6:43 PM, mojoween said:

On 10/18/2020 at 6:43 PM, mojoween said:

I fell asleep, and woke up to...this:

•Turfmonster

•Engram drop on third down

•Defense gives up a long scoring drive

•FUMBLE

Sigh.  This team hurts my very soul, yet I can’t quit them.

It could be worse. You could of been a Cowboys fan, a Jets fan, or a Lions fan. 

• Love 1