Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

How loathesome for the rest of the country would a Cowboys Patriots SB be?  both teams look very good right now, though hard to judge by playing San Fran. 

I actually asked my husband a few days ago if it ends up a Cowboys-Patriots SB, what movie we would go see.

• Love 3

A Patriots v Cowboys Super Bowl would force me to root for the meteorite I'd hope would hit the stadium.  Under normal circumstances, I'd root for the NFC team.  But never the Cowboys.

Switching to tonight's game -- I grew up going to see the Raiders in the L.A. Coliseum.  Fast forward, and for a variety of reasons the Giants became my first and foremost team, but I've always continued to root for the Raiders on the AFC side.  I love Jack Del Rio, but I've liked many a Raiders coach who oversaw a craptastic team.  I love Derek Carr, but, again - been there, done that.  To see things finally coming together, such that it's been about 15 years since we had this kind of record -- it does my heart good.

• Love 3

Never liked the Raiders, but this team is so damn likable. Carr seems so humble and happy that they are finally doing well after years of shiftiness. They can still go down their usual second half suck shit road like they usually do, but it's nice to see how much confidence they have. 

Cowboys/Pats, please don't make me sick. I will root for the Cowboys only because I like Dak, but I hope it doesn't go to that. Please, just no. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Colts at least stay in the division race.  Need the raiders to win tonight as well vs. Houston.  Had to have this one or the season was basically over.  I don't like their chances on Thursday vs. Pitt, but Roethlisberger has been awful the last few weeks and Thursday games are weird.  This one is Thanksgiving, the original Thursday games, but still same problems. 

I think that Houston may win that division. A lot of people have been critical of Osweiler, but they do have a better record than people realize. For the past few years, people (especially those in the media) have predicted that the Colts would go far (even get to the Superbowl) and Andrew Luck would get MVP. But those things haven’t happened, and I don’t think they will happen this year either. Andrew Luck needs help and until he gets it, I think that the Colts will stay in the same position they have been in.

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

Dak? Whatever rook, try playing somewhere like Cleveland with an average o-line.  

I am glad that Dak doesn’t know what it’s like to play for that disastrous organization known as the Cleveland Browns. Even though they passed over him several times with several picks. I’m glad that Dak, Carson Wentz, and Jared Goff managed to escape from being drafted there. That organization has hurt enough QB’s careers. (Poor Cody Kessler.)

9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm okay with a Pats/Cowboys Super Bowl. The only two teams I ever get nervous about are the Giants and Seahawks. 

I don’t think that you have to be nervous about that dull team that is the Giants. (Even though they have Odell with his on again/off again theatrics). I think that Washington is more dangerous than them, (even though they currently have a slightly worse record). I believe the Eagles could be more dangerous than them, if they had better receivers.

But I agree that Seattle is dangerous and are starting to really heat up in this second half of the season. I would like to see them or the Cowboys make it to the Superbowl from the NFC. I don’t care for the Patriots, (would rather see Raiders, Chiefs or Broncos)  but if they make it they will deserve to be there and I would still watch the game. 

Edited by lam48
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

A Patriots v Cowboys Super Bowl would force me to root for the meteorite I'd hope would hit the stadium.  Under normal circumstances, I'd root for the NFC team.  But never the Cowboys.

I think I love you...

• Love 3
On 11/20/2016 at 8:27 PM, mojoween said:

I know it's been 11 weeks so I should be used to it by now, but I'm not.

The new SNF song they foisted on Carrie is so incredibly stupid.  It's not even catchy and feels like it goes on forever.

I managed to catch the new Thursday night song by Pentatonix this week; MUCH better than Carrie's new one.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I managed to catch the new Thursday night song by Pentatonix this week; MUCH better than Carrie's new one.

Damn I missed it. Hope they show it again this week because I love Pentatonix.

• Love 2

One thing I like about the Monday night games is that the person who does the transition music to the commercials usually manages to sneak in a song native to the home team. George Benson for Pittsburgh, Go Go music for Washington etc. 

• Love 1
On 11/21/2016 at 9:39 PM, BitterApple said:

I'm okay with a Pats/Cowboys Super Bowl. The only two teams I ever get nervous about are the Giants and Seahawks. 

Pats/Cowboys would be a worst Superbowl (for me) than Pats/Seahawks...I would be routing for a Blackhole to swallow both teams

• Love 9

From that article:

“The 49ers are broken all around the place,” said resident Dorothy Rosa. “They don’t know how to run a football team. They don’t know how to run anything.”

Unfortunately, "the team will not suck" wasn't in the contracts. 

• Love 5

Well Jay Gruden, thanks for the on-side kick dumb ass. 

The only good thing about the Cowboys winning & Dak Prescott's hot streak is that we won't have to hear anymore sucking up for Tony Romo. Dak keeps making him look bad & more irrelevant week after week. In his heart, I know that Tony Romo is not happy about this. 

Another good win for the Cowboys. I am glad they are continuing to play well. That was a very impressive catch by Terrence William and I liked seeing Dez continue to contribute in significant ways since he's come back.

Washington lost but I thought that Kirk Cousins did a pretty good job today. He is definitely proving that he is a pretty solid QB. The Washington team this year is decent. I think they are the second most dangerous team in that division. 

Also, good on the Lions for getting the top spot in their division. Matthew Stafford has been very solid this year as well.

• Love 1

It is so weird to be optimistic about the Cowboys.   When the season started I said I would be happy at 8-8 with Romo as the QB.   With Dak at QB and having all those weapons in Elliott, Bryant and Witten, I am trying not to get too excited.   Then I see we have  mobile QB for once.   What's that like?   I have to keep reminding me we still have a bat guano crazy owner who could still find a way to mess this up.

• Love 1

I thought my loathing for the Colts extended to the entire team but apparently it is reserved solely for Andrew Luck.  Normally I'm like "I hope Indy loses every game forever" but tonight I'm like "yeah Scott Tolzien woo I have no idea who you are but you must be ok if you made a pro roster go go go!"

It also doesn't hurt that a. I have always loved Adam Vinatieri regardless which team he plays for and b. fuck the Steelers.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I think I don't hate this iteration of the Cowboys as everything good about them happened by smart football people circumventing Jerry Jones worst impulses. 

Skeletor could sell the team to Mother Teresa, and I would still hate the Cowboys.

• Love 9

NBC putting the Cowboys on Thursday Night Football the week after Thanksgiving obviously means that NBC hates me.

And also, Minnesota played today and did you not notice that when you made this stupid schedule?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

NBC putting the Cowboys on Thursday Night Football the week after Thanksgiving obviously means that NBC hates me.

And also, Minnesota played today and did you not notice that when you made this stupid schedule?

Normally the teams that play on Thursday get 10 days off.   This way they get basically a normal week.   Instead of one team having a normal week and one a short week or both having a short week.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:17 AM, lam48 said:

I think that Houston may win that division. A lot of people have been critical of Osweiler, but they do have a better record than people realize. For the past few years, people (especially those in the media) have predicted that the Colts would go far (even get to the Superbowl) and Andrew Luck would get MVP. But those things haven’t happened, and I don’t think they will happen this year either. Andrew Luck needs help and until he gets it, I think that the Colts will stay in the same position they have been in.

I am glad that Dak doesn’t know what it’s like to play for that disastrous organization known as the Cleveland Browns. Even though they passed over him several times with several picks. I’m glad that Dak, Carson Wentz, and Jared Goff managed to escape from being drafted there. That organization has hurt enough QB’s careers. (Poor Cody Kessler.)

I don’t think that you have to be nervous about that dull team that is the Giants. (Even though they have Odell with his on again/off again theatrics). I think that Washington is more dangerous than them, (even though they currently have a slightly worse record). I believe the Eagles could be more dangerous than them, if they had better receivers.

But I agree that Seattle is dangerous and are starting to really heat up in this second half of the season. I would like to see them or the Cowboys make it to the Superbowl from the NFC. I don’t care for the Patriots, (would rather see Raiders, Chiefs or Broncos)  but if they make it they will deserve to be there and I would still watch the game. 

The Colts won't be serious contenders until they have a new coach and GM.  Pagano and Grigson are the main problem with the team.  Both share equal blame

They will be in the division race.  They could still pull it out this season even with the loss to Pitt.  They have about 4 winnable games left, will depend on how Houston does down the stretch.

But as serious playoff contenders?  Not happening until changes happen at the top. 

They actually didn't play bad tonight, but this game was over once Luck was ruled out. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The Colts won't be serious contenders until they have a new coach and GM.  Pagano and Grigson are the main problem with the team.  Both share equal blame

They will be in the division race.  They could still pull it out this season even with the loss to Pitt.  They have about 4 winnable games left, will depend on how Houston does down the stretch.

But as serious playoff contenders?  Not happening until changes happen at the top. 

They actually didn't play bad tonight, but this game was over once Luck was ruled out. 

I'm actually hoping for losses so 1) Grigson and Pagano leave (love Chuck, but his time is over) and 2) Houston gets to be one and done in the playoffs instead of the Colts.  The order form for playoff tickets should be coming any day now and I'd rather save my money.  (Incidentally, we got a present from Jimmy the other day... a Colts oven mitt.  I couldn't stop laughing when I opened it.)

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Tolzien played well.  Hilton getting hurt was a bad break and the defense was more of an issue, Brown should have been double-teamed more often.

I really dislike people who treat our National Anthem as their playtoy.  The Cavs in the playoffs had someone start the National Anthem and then back off so that the crowd sings it.  I think they are doing that this season as well.  I LOVE that!  We are supposed to sing it together, not watch someone else perform it, especially if they change it up for no reason.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I can't confirm this rumor yet, but I heard that somebody finally pulled the plug on Aretha.  She was not amused.

Tonight on the news, Lester Holt brought it up, said she took 4 1/2 minutes to do the anthem, when it usually takes in the neighborhood of 2 minutes.

I like Whitney Houston's absolute nailing of a straightforward rendition of the anthem as much as the next person, but I just a) don't much like the song to begin with and b) don't understand what the ever-loving hell it has to do with a sporting event, so I don't care what anyone chooses to do with it.  And Aretha Franklin, especially, can do whatever the hell she wants.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Tonight on the news, Lester Holt brought it up, said she took 4 1/2 minutes to do the anthem, when it usually takes in the neighborhood of 2 minutes.

I read that the Vegas bookies will take bets on how long the Super Bowl anthem takes, and they keep track of these things, and when Aretha sang the anthem before a Super Bowl, she did it in just over two minutes.

I don't like that the anthem is played during sporting events. Whitney Houston, aside, who is the exception to the rule, the song was written as actually a fast tempo. I've had to play it. I just think we should save it for special occasions. 

If she was going to go on so long, I really wish Aretha would have included the third verse of the song.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

People would have lost their shit debating what those lines mean.

The more I read about the song (Thanks Colin!), the less reason I have to respect it.

Key not only profited from slaves, he harbored racist conceptions of American citizenship and human potential. Africans in America, he said, were: “a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community.”

• Love 1

The national anthem is played before sporting events in most countries.   Its just something that happens.   It's such a tradition that when I hear it played at non-sports events, as soon as it is done, I whisper "Play ball."    

Personally, I think Ms. Franklin slowed it down to a funeral dirge on purpose.   She was going to sing it, but it was her form of protest.

As for Kapernick, he is doing the naive, newly awaken political thing.   He learned one thing -- mass incarceration of black people is bad ( yes it is), and everything comes back to that.   Everything in comparison is not nearly as bad.   He is smart man, he needs to learn a little nuance.   

Back to the actual playing of football - anyone think the Browns win one game this year?   Against whom?    Remember, Johnny Manziel was the last qb to win a game for them.   And they keep playing musical QB during games.   

They keep playing musical quarterbacks because their offensive line keeps playing Ole! with the defense.  I say winless, and if they use their high draft pick to get yet another quarterback I will cry.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Back to the actual playing of football - anyone think the Browns win one game this year?   Against whom?    Remember, Johnny Manziel was the last qb to win a game for them.   And they keep playing musical QB during games.   

I hate to say it but I don't think so. I don't see a winnable game left on their schedule. They have matchups against the Giants, Bengals, Bills, Chargers, and Steelers. The Bengals haven't been playing well this year but I still think they will beat the Browns.

The Browns just have too many issues on their team and their QB's can't stay healthy. Josh McCown played decent last year but he is getting older and is declining. And I think that Cody Kessler is not bad but he hasn't been getting enough help from the team to win a game.

If Cleveland were playing the Bears I could see the maybe getting a win. Jay Cutler is injured and I think he might be out for a bit. But they aren't on their schedule. 

Edited by Jx223
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The national anthem is played before sporting events in most countries.   Its just something that happens.   It's such a tradition that when I hear it played at non-sports events, as soon as it is done, I whisper "Play ball."   

Same here. We've also got a running joke that the last line of 'O Canada' is actually 'Drop the puck!'.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The national anthem is played before sporting events in most countries.

Not to split hairs, but is it? Because I thought it was only here. It's certainly not played in any of pro soccer leagues in Europe. And I don't recall it played at soccer or baseball games in Japan. Not the sum total, but I question use of the qualifier "most" (*a cursory search also holds this up). The USA started playing it during WWI to drum up patriotism for the war effort. Which right there is a reason I think it needs to go.

Its just something that happens.  

If that's the response to justify why anything is done, then I'd say whatever the thing is requires serious examination.

• Love 1

I wasn't talking about international matches.  I meant to specify the professional leagues, Champions League, Europa League. There wasn't any anthem for the Chelsea/Spurs game for example.

19 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Not the pro-teams as far as I'm aware, probably because there are many nationalities on those teams.

Are there not a lot of nationalities on USA pro teams as well? There's about 15 different countries represented in the NFL alone. Wouldn't it be more fun to have an "NFL anthem" that just celebrates the sport?