Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Why do we need 2 hours to discuss yet another Patriots - Broncos game, Patriots - Colts game, Patriots - Steelers game, Broncos - Panthers rematch (I know they face each other in the upcoming season) or the Cowboys schedule? This is so pointless on so many levels.

I agree. They're already talking about the Broncos-Panthers game on Charlotte sports radio. Newsflash - the most important Broncos-Panthers game already happened. And we lost. Beating them in the first week of next season would feel pretty hollow.

• Love 2

Ah, America. The country where a fender bender ends up with a guy dead because both drivers were carrying guns. It surely is the land of opportunity! Crazy.

Just FYI, we don't all carry guns, and most of those who do, use them responsibly.  

Back to football:  So it looks like Washington will be playing Cleveland, so I guess that means that RGIII will come back on us with a vengeance.    

• Love 1

The New York Giants are avoiding the word "Redskins" in discussing their schedule of upcoming games.

Johnny Manziel is accused of doing $32,000 worth of damage to a house he rented for two days.  The realtor also said that he he found him passed out in a room full of cocaine.

Drew Rosenhaus has also said that Manziel has five days to start rehab or he will drop him as a client.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 1

If the Rams really and truly believe Goff or Wentz is a franchise QB, I don't blame them for trading up.

I know they gave up a lot, but all anyone talks about is how you have to have a QB to win in this league. The some team makes a bold move to get one and they get criticized.

Now if you don't think Goff or Wentz is worth it, that's another thing. But Just the trade itself, if they get the QB they need and want, I think its worth the risk.

The problem for the Rams though is they are in a division with Arizona and Seattle, so it's hard to see them fighting for better than 3rd in that division anytime soon

The problem is they gave up a lot of future picks that could put decent players around that QB in order to pick a player that has a 50%  chance of being a bust.   It's not worth the risk, unless you get the next Payton Manning.   Heck, RGIII was supposed to be that good, look what happened there.

More was traded for RGIII than in this trade. It's not as one sided.

Not denying it's a gamble and is risky. But for a team that has not had a good QB in about 15 years and otherwise has no prospects for a good QB anytime soon, I think it's worth the risk.

Was Prince the greatest halftime show ever? Perhaps, but music is subjective.

But there should be no denying that it WAS a great fucking show and unmatched in spectacle.

I can't even believe Prince is gone. There is a hell of a 2016 concert going on in the sky.

• Love 7

Was Prince the greatest halftime show ever? Perhaps, but music is subjective.

But there should be no denying that it WAS a great fucking show and unmatched in spectacle.

I can't even believe Prince is gone. There is a hell of a 2016 concert going on in the sky.

He played his electric guitar and put his mouth close to the microphone in the friggin' rain. He'll always have my respect for that. Plus, the show was good. 

RIP, Prince!

• Love 5

According to reports Josh Norman has just signed a 5 year 75 million dollar contract with the Washington Redskins. It is being reported that 50 million dollars of that will be in guarantees, making him the highest paid corner in the league. I will miss him playing for the Panthers but I wish him the best.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000655390/article/josh-norman-signs-deal-with-redskins

Edited by Jx223

Here we go again......

Dan Snyder paying megabucks for someone who'll probably just take the money and flame out.  I don't blame Josh Norman though.  Take the damn money.

• Love 5

I'm forced to care since I'm a Patriots fan.

As I've said before, this should be the next season of "Serial" and in 20 years Ryan Murphy can use it for American Crime Story.

Roger Goodell is Ahab and Brady's his white whale. He's going to get him or die trying.

I vote for the second option.

• Love 2

Obviously, this is ridiculous, but I think it's important because the commissioner shouldn't rule by fiat. While I get that it was stupid to give him that authority in the CBA, I am assuming that they were expecting some type of logical structure would be place. I get that most people don't like Brady, but if he doesn't fight it, then it could happen to other players.

• Love 3

I'm forced to care since I'm a Patriots fan.

Oh, I'm a Patriots fan too, but it seems like such ancient history now.  Obviously I think that having to serve even 1 game is ridiculous, but I just want it gone.

Can Brady find a way to keep appealing and dragging this thing out until he's ready to retire?  I guess it might cost him a couple of retirement checks, but it wouldn't mean missing any playing time.

From what I hear the only options for this to continue are this:

The original judge finds more cause to rule for Brady which goes against what the instructions that this panel has given, and that is a small chance.

or

The Supreme Court takes up this decision, which seems like an even smaller chance.

Tom Brady vs. the NFL in the Supreme Court? Over a four game suspension? Has there ever been anything that would sum up the inequality and injustice of American society more succinctly? A multi-millionaire vs. his multi-billion dollar employer over having to stay off work for a month, while there are people who can't afford healthcare, food, housing? While there are children being poisoned by lead in their water supply and while minorities are being oppressed by state legislatures?

Oh please let this happen, it would be so tone deaf that I don't think I'd ever stop laughing at it.

• Love 6

The chances of Judge Berman getting another bite at the apple are slim giving the ruling.   Brady's best hope is to work out a deal with Goodell.   But to do that, Goodell needs to be a bit less power hungry and butt hurt.    Because Goodell is all about "gazing into the player's eyes and taking his measure."   He gets mad if a player is less than straightforward with him.   Then he drops the hammer.   To Goodell this is about ego.   For Brady it's about what happens to other players when Goodell gets butt hurt next time. 

That's exactly it. Goodell just isn't going to back down because he's gone so far all in. He can't and won't admit he was wrong.

I so hope this goes all the way to scotus.

The chances of Judge Berman getting another bite at the apple are slim giving the ruling.   Brady's best hope is to work out a deal with Goodell.   But to do that, Goodell needs to be a bit less power hungry and butt hurt.    Because Goodell is all about "gazing into the player's eyes and taking his measure."   He gets mad if a player is less than straightforward with him.   Then he drops the hammer.   To Goodell this is about ego.   For Brady it's about what happens to other players when Goodell gets butt hurt next time. 

For Brady, it's about what happens to Brady and how he is seen by the public. He wants to be seen as the bestest, most super-duper, awesome QB in NFL history, not as a guy who cheated with his sagging balls. I don't believe for one second he's doing this for some altruistic, 'I shall fall on my sword to save those who may come behind me' reason.

• Love 3

Supreme Court cases sometimes are over seemingly trivial real life outcomes which are sometimes long over by the time a case reaches the court.  The fetus in question for Roe v. Wade was not a practical issue by the time the case was argued in front of the court. There was recently a case in which a guy was fired or disciplined because his boss thought he was involved with a political campaign opposed to the boss when in reality the guy fired was actually just picking up something for his mother. (The seemingly absurd matter being: Is your speech protected when you aren't actually saying anything and was just thought to do so by happenstance?) When people take other people to court, sometimes it's for really dumb reasons.

The issues contested in this case however are applicable and have great consequences.  I, for instance, would not like it if my employer accused me of a misdeed, went on a never ending and invasive fishing expedition into my private life until they found something that sounded like dirt, leaked damning and incorrect information to the press while prohibiting me from defending myself, and naming himself the sole arbiter as to the correctness of the investigation. I would like for the courts to say that type of corporate behavior is not OK, and that some good faith on the part of the employer is required.

And when you look into past league disciplines, you realize how little proof there is to any of them. Bountygate, Bullygate, any of them. I really and truly doubt how much actual punishable offense there was to any of them. The only proof is loudly proclaimed one sided assertions by the NFL done by the same dubious methods as Deflategate, and much less publicized criticisms, walkbacks, and legal reversals following.

I want Brady to fight this to the last.  If the Patriots went 0-16 but this somehow resulted in Goodell's exit in disgrace, that would be a wonderful season for me. As good as any Super Bowl. And yes, I realize this is a pipe dream.

• Love 3

For Brady, it's about what happens to Brady and how he is seen by the public.

Anyone who is going to form an opinion about Brady already has, so this whole thing seems pointless from a PR standpoint.  And even winning the appeal didn't remove the finding of "guilt" by the NFL, just the punishment.

​The only reason I would want him to continue is how much it pisses off Goodell.   I don't care about the 4 games anymore.

Edited by jcin617

Alternatively, Brady might also be ticked because he was 'judged and convicted' by Goodell based on what basically every expert said was a garbage 'investigation.'  And if it were any other player (who could afford it) they should do the exact same thing. He's losing a quarter of the season potentially. Goodell is treating this like he was running some vast criminal conspiracy when this is more like a pitcher getting his catcher to scuff the baseball a little so he can get more movement on his pitches. 

I totally want him to continue to honk off Goodell.

• Love 1

Mike Tirico is moving to NBC Sports. Not only is that going to be a big loss for MNF, Tirico was a big voice for college football too.

I find it interesting that Nantz and Simms do both TNF and Sunday games, but apparently Michaels and Collinsworth are not going to do the same.

Can't wait to see who is going to be the new voice on MNF. I read one suggestion of Sean McDonough, but I just couldn't think of him in a non-hoops context.

Brady and the Pats got what they deserved.

You can argue all you want about what the evidence shows in the air pressure readings It doesn't prove he did or did not do it.

I don't care for Goodell or the Pats. But this was not about Goodell. It's about the rest of the league owners wanting a message sent to NE to stop cheating. And it drove a wedge between Goodell and Kraft as well, which is another nice benefit for the other owners.

Don't feel a bit sorry for Brady or the pats. Protest it all the way he wants, he isn't going to win. ANd there is no way the Supreme Court wastes it's time on this case.

Blame the NFLPA. They gave Goodell this power in the CBA. That's what the court case was about, if Goodell has the authority or not to make this ruling. Little else.

And yes actually it is more like a vast criminal conspiracy, according to the other owners and how they view the Pats. They got away with it once with Spygate and didn't want to see them get away with it again. Otherwise it will never end. This was the line in the sand for the league.

this has all been debated before. No ones mind is going to change. You will never convince mean based on reading the report and what has happened that Brady and the Pats are innocent.

• Love 2

Also New Orleans was guilty as well in Bountygate. They are all liars. I don't believe one of those players. The DC admitted to it and they have a written evidence something was going on. I don't for a minute buy the idea their is "no evidence" in these cases. Just because some fans don't want to believe the evidence and choose to ignore it or discredit it doesn't mean evidence does not exist.

If the NFLPA doesn't like it then renegotiate the CBA. It's completely on them. Stop trying to drain every penny you can out of the CBA negotiations and focus on these other issues. This all happened AFTER Bountygate. If they didn't like Goodell's ruling at the time should have fought harder to change it before this happened again.

• Love 1

NFL Draft tomorrow! My favorite non-event event. I love it because it's the intersection of college and pro ball. And because of Mel Kiper. Over/under on how long it takes him to lose it? 20 minutes? I'll never forget him taking teams to task for passing on Brady Quinn. Also because the Eagles appear to have lost their minds. I still miss the days of the draft on Saturday morning, when you'd stumble onto the couch at about noon, round about pick seven or so, and Kiper would already be in full meltdown mode, and then you'd spend the rest of the day on the couch watching Kiper in meltdown mode.

• Love 1

I'm a Cal alum, so I'm biased for Jared Goff.

This is what I remember most: Goff was the first true freshman since WWII to start on opening day, and it was against Northwestern. ESPN's Michael Wilbon, a Northwestern alum, was in attendance, and was genuinely pissed that an 18-year-old true freshman QB looked so good against Northwestern's defense (Goff would eventually not look that good, as Cal lost the game). But I saved Wilbon's tweetstorm for posterity. Goff would go on to start 36 more games.

20qgoee.png

He later tweeted:

jz9lax.png

2b4h2p.png

• Love 1

I think that so far tonight the NFL draft has had some interesting things happen. I don’t think anyone is really surprised that Jared Goff/Carson Wentz went #1 and #2. I do think some people were surprised that the Chargers picked Joey Bosa. I believe that the Jags are fortunate that Jalen Ramsey fell to them. I think that the may end up being one of the best players that will come out of this draft.

I think it’s unfortunate what happened with Laremy Tunsil. It definitely looks like it was him smoking weed in that video that was posted. I believe that someone posted that video to get revenge on him (maybe his stepdad who he is in a dispute with). Nonetheless this will have an impact on him, and I think it’s the reason why he may have fallen some in the draft so far.

Also, I wonder who Cleveland will end up picking. They traded their 8th pick to move back to 15. They have the most picks in the draft and I wonder what players they will end up choosing for their team.

Edited by Jx223

Heh.  I wanted Leonard Floyd, and Chicago jumped up to grab him.  One of my good friends is a huge Bears fan, and I emailed her, "You stole my linebacker!"  The Giants just spent a boatload of money on defensive players, so I figured if it wasn't a linebacker (and, more specifically, that linebacker since he's a good pass rusher) it would be an offensive tackle.  Shows what I know.  I'm just glad it wasn't LB Myles Jack.

So, being in Los Angeles, I finally have an NFL team again.  It's the Rams, whom I didn't like when they were here the first time, so it's going to take me a while to get invested - and years before I'll root for them against Seattle so long as Pete Carroll is there - but I can once again attend an NFL game without needing a hotel (and possibly a plane).  Time will tell if the draft deal to get Goff was worth it.  I tend to think not, since they have a whole lot of needs in addition to QB, but we'll see. 

I figured the Seahawks were going to take Germain Ifedi, so since he was still there for them with the last pick, they made a good move trading with the Broncos for an additional third round pick.

Edited by Bastet

I didn't watch the last few picks but did they keep panning on the poor UCLA player that was still in the green room? Hope someone gets him in the second round and he's injury free and plays with a  chip on his shoulder.

Bills picked someone that they needed? What a concept. Hope they keep it up.

It's truly amazing that after being publicly called out by his boss and having the poor results of his draft picks proven by the media, Jerry Reese still goes ahead and makes a bad draft choice.  We are already set at CB and it wasn't a need position.  Eli Apple wasn't a Top 10 pick on anyone's draft board.  The Giants should have traded down and if they still wanted him, they likely would have gotten him.  But Reese has NEVER traded down in the draft and overreaches again with this selection.

Reese should have been out the door with Coughlin after last season.  He wasn't, either because the Maras wanted a GM that would take Ben McAdoo as their head coach or because the Maras are obsessed with the appearance and idea of stability.  They don't seem to realize that keeping a GM who has proven for several playoff-free years that he is a bad evaluator of talent overall is just as bad as firing and hiring new GMs every year.

Jerry Reese is The Incompetent One.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Happy with the Colts, Ryan Kelly, center, desperate area of need to protect Luck.  Can step in right away and play. 

Now they need a pass rush. 

Eli Apple is a funny name for a guy taken by the Giants.  Two Elis now on the same team, and Apple playing in NY. 

Cleveland suddenly looking like draft geniuses.  Got two more picks, 2nd and a 3rd, for moving down 7 spots. 

• Love 1

After hiding in an undisclosed location for almost a year, Goodell is all puffed up and appeared on Mike and Mike to take a victory lap over the court decision in Deflategate.

I really dislike that guy.

• Love 6

What cracked me up are the idiots that kept booing him every time he came out. I can see the first few times, but all of it? Get a life idiots. He doesn't care what you guys think- he's too busy spending his ridiculous salary. 

It was nice seeing those kids who won their championship on the podium, and the cancer survivor announcing the Broncos pick. Kid was a pretty good announcer.

• Love 1