Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Our nightmare might be over but for Jets fans it's just starting.

I have to interrupt my NFL Summer Vacation for a moment to say this. 

The Jets will find a way to mess this up like they usually do. This time, Aaron Rodgers will be a part of that trainwreck & I will enjoy him sucking for the Jets. At least we know who won't be playing in the Super Bowl in the upcoming season. 

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Vikings' nightmare is over. And mine.

But it sure was fun to beat him whrn we did!

The Vikings nightmare is still going. Kirk Cousins is still on the Vikings. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Magog said:

I have to interrupt my NFL Summer Vacation for a moment to say this. 

The Jets will find a way to mess this up like they usually do. This time, Aaron Rodgers will be a part of that trainwreck & I will enjoy him sucking for the Jets. At least we know who won't be playing in the Super Bowl in the upcoming season. 

The Vikings nightmare is still going. Kirk Cousins is still on the Vikings. 

There's still one Kirk Cousins fan posting here. 😁

16 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Our nightmare might be over but for Jets fans it's just starting.

Things that fans of other teams call a nightmare Jets fans see as just another Tuesday. 

• LOL 8

I'm listening to Rodgers talk at his press conference right now.

He sounds really happy. It's makes sense. He spent a long career in Green Bay, and this is probably a pretty exciting challenge for him. He has commented a couple times about looking forward to being part of the Jets history after having such a long time with an iconic organization. 

The press, as you might expect, are asking things like "Are you planning to play more than one year?" and he's answering them politely with what is essentially "I'm gonna be here this year, and then we will see."

He says he's planning to be in the area, finding a place to live, and spending time with the team doing things like holding fun events and getting to know the guys. When they asked him when, he responded "Does tomorrow count?"

I have to say, as somebody who hasn't been a big fan of Rodgers from the bits and pieces of sound bites I've heard out of him the last couple years, I liked him today. 

Maybe this is because I have a relationship with somebody had one of these "I'm happy to be a part of this Jets organization" press conferences years ago. And perhaps I have a little bit of sympathy for Rogers today, knowing that no matter how hard he works and how talented he is, Jets things will happen. 

They always happen.

• Like 1

Happy Draft Day!

I wish they would go back to having it in New York all the time.  Massive crowds standing outside, and now all bunched together by team, takes some of the fun out of the reactions.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Happy Draft Day!

I have been a draft fan for a very long time. A couple of my friends used to go to the draft when it was at Radio City. Same guys then used to come to my place in the late nineties, and we'd watch for like 8 hours straight when it wasn't on primetime. Much beer and food was consumed those days.

The last few years I've been really into the draft again, but that's probably because the Giants have sucked and are constantly picking in the top 10.  It's going to be weird tonight to have to wait for more than two hours before the Giants pick. I'm sure the Jacksonville fans feel the same way.

1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

Aaron Rodgers said this about Zach Wilson: "I'm going to make his life heaven off the field."  Ummmmm...... 👀 👀 👀

What else is he supposed to respond to Zach saying he was going to make whomever the Jets brought on’s life a living hell. Another nothingburger because of the stupid media. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

What else is he supposed to respond to Zach saying he was going to make whomever the Jets brought on’s life a living hell. Another nothingburger because of the stupid media. 

Well, for someone who's so desperate to stay in the closet, Rodgers could probably have phrased that almost any other way, but whatever.

I hope he buys Zach dinner first.

• LOL 4
On 4/24/2023 at 5:11 PM, Carey said:

One of several posts that show why you're the best, mojoween.  Even though I still went to the webpage, I 100% knew what you were talking about.  No, not even 1 percent of the other thing which is just a bad dream at worst

As for that other thing

12 minutes ago, twoods said:

Well, it looks like Lamar Jackson got paid. Now he needs to stay healthy and the Ravens can do well.

The current unknown is the new OC in Todd Monken.  It could be a scenario where Baltimore is super scary (better than 2019 which isn't too much), or a total nightmare

• Like 3

Cod’s sack, Carolina. Just because you were given 10 minutes doesn’t mean you need to use it, since you’ve known who you were going to pick for six weeks.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 6

Not much of a surprise with Bryce Young's name being the first of about two and a half dozen called/heard tonight.  As mentioned sorta, the only surprise is the unnecessary stalling which adds time to the Thursday Draft that could end sooner than not.

I believe he's the first Alabama (QB) taken first overall.  That would be modern era.  In case the 2021 Heisman winner didn't go to Carolina, Bama always had Broadway Joe to fill that honor before 1970 of course

33 minutes ago, Carey said:

As mentioned sorta, the only surprise is the unnecessary stalling which adds time to the Thursday Draft that could end sooner than not.

It's all about advertising revenue. The TV networks do not want tonight ending sooner than they've planned for - which is about 3 1/2 hours. The teams understand what they're supposed to do, which is take their time, try to rev up the drama, and make sure the event does not come in short.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

It's all about advertising revenue. The TV networks do not want tonight ending sooner than they've planned for - which is about 3 1/2 hours. The teams understand what they're supposed to do, which is take their time, try to rev up the drama, and make sure the event does not come in short.

That is fair enough, and as a supporter of a business maximizing that, I have to respect it.  However, I also respect the viewer and the fact that people have lives outside of sports.  I'm not talking about me; I have outside stuff too, but I can handle it (or the DVR plays out).

To be more specific, I just hope they don't go over by a lot when it's unnecessary.  While I agree a short first night is bad for business, going well beyond Midnight is just disrespectful.  JMO.

On an unrelated note, it's possible I'll throw up if ANY of the AFC 2022-2023 playoff teams trade up to one of the Top 16 spots.  And in a related note, I'm just glad that Philly is in the NFC.  Gotta say sorry to the NFC to see the last team standing get better before most teams

Awww this Jets fan is so cute. What a dream for him, and I’m guessing he’s going to a Jets game in the future and meeting Rodgers. ❤️

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

And the NFC Champs get Jalen Carter. Barring injury, the kid's an All-Pro lock. It's kinda not fair.

Talent wise yes, an all pro.  Takes more than that in the nfl though and he fell at least 4 spots if not more based on just his post college season performance.  How hard is it to keep it together snd train for the biggest moment of your career to date for a few months?  And not just his legal troubles. He struggled at his own pro day 

Not nearly as hard as sustaining it for a whole nfl season. 

Really don't like the nfl draft in KC either.  Or anywhere besides new york, indoors, for that matter.  And I dont need the chiefs players and fans show before the draft.  Save it for their puck. 

Also Travis kelce gives off during bro douche vibes. 

I actually like mahommes and the chiefs just fine. But it's the draft, not a superbowl celebration.  Don't really need that to start the show. 

• Like 2

Has anyone fallen so far so fast as Will Levis?  I remember Brady Quinn's fall to 25 (I think) before the Browns hot suckered into drafting him.

Will's gf is stunning, but she gives me 'only with him cause he's an athlete' vibes for some reason.  I know nothing abt her, so my apologies, it's just how I'm perceiving her.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 1

Oh my darling boyz, I loved the flex.  Cause if you can’t do it during the happy accident when your city has the draft shortly after you win the Super Bowl…

Salute to my hometown!  Wish I was there.  Taking the over on how many times visiting players & fans get asked: “Have you tried the bbq?”  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Felix Anudike-Uzomah is a KStater AND went to hs in KC.   I expect Arrowhead will lose their minds when he runs out for the first time.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don’t like the Chiefs but they needed to flex that they won the SB in front of their fans. Any other team would have done the same, and deserve to. 
I liked the outdoor atmosphere and it seemed like people were enjoying themselves. NY fans are so annoying and boo everything, so it was nice to see something different.

I don’t even know what girl was Will’s girlfriend. Every time they panned to him, he was sitting with someone different and didn’t know if it was a gf or family member. I’m sure someone will take him tomorrow.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I don’t even know what girl was Will’s girlfriend. Every time they panned to him, he was sitting with someone different and didn’t know if it was a gf or family member. I’m sure someone will take him tomorrow.

Wasn't it the girl in the red dress?  The others were sitting with him, and I presumed were his sisters.  The girl in the red dress was sitting in his lap, for the most part.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

Has anyone fallen so far so fast as Will Levis?  I remember Brady Quinn's fall to 25 (I think) before the Browns hot suckered into drafting him.

Is he the next coming of Joe Montana or something?  Trying to figure out why I should be aghast that he is still sitting in the green room.

Will levis was projected to be a 2nd rounder -- until recently.   So something changed to change the PERCEPTION of him.   But tape don't lie.   Just like with Jalen Carter.   You have all that tape on him.   One pro day should not make a drastic change to your evaluation of him.    

At least with NIL, I wasn't wondering how all these unemployed athletes could afford all that bling.   I noticed their entourages were decked out in bling too.    

And yes we have the inappropriate girlfriends who are all "Cha-ching" happens every year.

Carolina had to stall to give Mahomes and Kelce time to get off the stage and for the Lombardi to be stowed away.   But at some point, about pick 15/16 I was all the pick is in, we don't need more blathering just ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY.

45 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Will levis was projected to be a 2nd rounder -- until recently.   So something changed to change the PERCEPTION of him.   But tape don't lie.   Just like with Jalen Carter.   You have all that tape on him.   One pro day should not make a drastic change to your evaluation of him.    

According to an article I read a post on Reddit talking up Will Levis  caused people media to run with it to the point it changed his odds of being a first round pick from 40-1 to 4-1. Teams apparently weren't reading Reddit and he hasn't been picked yet and the original poster deleted his account.  I'm cynical enough to believe someone in Levis camp (agent? family member?) made that post.

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also Travis kelce gives off during bro douche vibes. 

I've always thought that.

• Like 1

I don't mind kc celebrity the sb win since it's in kc. 

It's just when they did it.  Draft is supposed to start at 8.  Then Goodell comes up to be booed.  Then you have the 'superfans' introduced.  Then kelce and mahommes, then kelces moronic, bad matthew mcconaughey impression and his stupid 'hey lets trade up to #1' (why exactly?)....people want to see the draft.  Get on with it. Weve been waiting mo ths for it.  You can do the kc celebration during their pick.  

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I'm cynical enough to believe someone in Levis camp (agent? family member?) made that post.

Makes sense.   Also dumb move.   Because if the hype is not there organically its not going to move the needle.   If the TEAMS think a player is hot, it will affect where they are drafted.   If its the media, it won't.

Very happy the Jackson deal got done.  Might not be what he wanted exactly but its done.   Then they picked Zay Flowers to give him a damn target so he doesn't have to do it all himself.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Then they picked Zay Flowers to give him a damn target so he doesn't have to do it all himself.

This was a nice pick by the Ravens. He's a talented kid, and he has a really good head on his shoulders from what I can see so far. 

I get a kick out of the way everybody has to issue their "grades" for every pick.  Even though the writers and TV guys know damn well that you really need to grade each pick in, ohhhh, lets say 2026, they still hand out grades.

I do get a chuckle when I scroll through the grades, A, B+, ... and then hit an F. How can a pick be an F? Did the kid pull his pants down and poop on the stage?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

This was a nice pick by the Ravens. He's a talented kid, and he has a really good head on his shoulders from what I can see so far. 

I get a kick out of the way everybody has to issue their "grades" for every pick.  Even though the writers and TV guys know damn well that you really need to grade each pick in, ohhhh, lets say 2026, they still hand out grades.

I do get a chuckle when I scroll through the grades, A, B+, ... and then hit an F. How can a pick be an F? Did the kid pull his pants down and poop on the stage?

When I read an F grade I think it's more about the writer than the player. I don't understand why the NFL needs to prove how patriotic they are. There is no need to play God Bless the USA during the draft.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I don't understand why the NFL needs to prove how patriotic they are. There is no need to play God Bless the USA during the draft.

7th branch of the military.    (sarcasm just to be clear)

• LOL 4

About how long it takes to make their picks, I get that they need to fill the show and the panel wants to talk about the picks (and the fact that every single one is a great pick!), and the team wants their TV time, but seriously, have a list of your top 32 picks, in order, and cross off the ones as they are selected and the top one still on your list when it's your turn, draft.  I actually think the later rounds would need more time, not less.

To be fair, there shouldn't be an A grades either.  For one, Jamarcus Russell existed.  Better yet, so did Sam Bradford (better example).  If you get selected to be in the National Football League, that's successful alone.  It's the highest level of (American) football as far as that goes on Planet Earth.

Therefore, grading someone an F is not smart, period.  On the other hand, grading someone with an A grade is not that smart either.  While people have to play the game to prove that they suck, they also have to play the game to prove that they are that damn good.  That's why I brought up people like Russell & Bradford, especially the latter.  You never know until you know

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Johann said:

About how long it takes to make their picks, I get that they need to fill the show and the panel wants to talk about the picks (and the fact that every single one is a great pick!), and the team wants their TV time, but seriously, have a list of your top 32 picks, in order, and cross off the ones as they are selected and the top one still on your list when it's your turn, draft.  I actually think the later rounds would need more time, not less.

It doesn’t work that way at the top of the draft.  The first round picks are extremely important, as first and second round picks are where the VAST majority of good football players come from. They don’t rank them in a column from 1-32. They have them in bunches or rows. 

So for my team, the Giants, they had a few players targeted in a group that were preferred. When some of them got picked right before they picked, they traded up a spot to make sure they got the last one in the group. 

Had they not done that, and Banks been picked right before them, they would likely have needed the ten minutes to entertain trade offers and see if they could get a deal they liked better than the players available to pick at that time. 

In the later rounds, barely any of those players turn into good starters, so they can pick quickly relying on the scouting and how they have those guys ranked on their draft boards.  

• Like 1

I have to laugh at the grades given to these drafts.  I don't think you can grade a draft until at least 3 years have passed.  Especially when a team is downgraded for taking a player that is perceived to be unnecessary, since the team is well stocked at the position.  Players get injured, so depth is always a concern, and more importantly, teams are supposed to take the long view when drafting.  It's not just about the guy's rookie season, it's about year 2, 3, 4, and hopefully more.  One that sticks out to me - the pick of Jordy Nelson by the Packers in 2008.  At the time, a lot of the draft analysis was critical because the WR position was "low need" for the Packers.  When Jordy was catching 9 passes for 140 yards two years later in the Super Bowl (after Donald Driver got hurt), nobody was talking about this luxury pick.  My favorite commercial during the draft was the one the NFL did with Aaron Jones reading the pre-draft assessments about him as they showed film of him as a Packer doing all the things that the "experts" said he couldn't do.

2 hours ago, Popples said:

Have the Steelers set a record for having the most sets of related people on one team? It's starting to get weird.

As a Wisconsin Badgers fan, I loved that they took Keeanu Benton and Nick Herbig, especially since they have T.J. Watt.  (Will they re-sign Derek Watt?)  I was joking with a friend that the Steelers are the only team to scout the Badger defense; the rest of the league just focuses on Wisconsin o-lineman.  

• Like 2
16 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

t doesn’t work that way at the top of the draft.  The first round picks are extremely important, as first and second round picks are where the VAST majority of good football players come from. They don’t rank them in a column from 1-32. They have them in bunches or rows. 

They used to do the whole thing -- with a lot more rounds -- in one afternoon in a hotel room in Philly.   (Bert Bell was Commish, he lived in Philly, he got to pick where the draft was).    No draft "war rooms" or big boards.   Just  teams going, yeah, I'll take that guy.   Probably worked out just as well as all the over analyzing of a player now.

20 hours ago, Carey said:

Better yet, so did Sam Bradford (better example). 

For the record I knew Bradford wouldn't work out.   Two  shoulder injuries in college, he was glass.   I knew that would be a problem.  

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

They used to do the whole thing -- with a lot more rounds -- in one afternoon in a hotel room in Philly.   (Bert Bell was Commish, he lived in Philly, he got to pick where the draft was).   

That was 70 years ago, I think a few things have changed since then.

On 4/29/2023 at 5:06 PM, Calvada said:

I have to laugh at the grades given to these drafts.  I don't think you can grade a draft until at least 3 years have passed.

True, hindsight is 20/20.

I see most of the professional graders acknowledging that it takes a few years to know who's really a success and who's not.

But one thing you can do is look at whether the reasoning was sound, even if it didn't work out. I think this is sometimes a hard thing to accept, that a decision can be a good decision and yet not have the desired outcome. And similarly, a decision can be a bad decision and actually work out. The outcome is not really a reflection on the quality of the decision itself or the acumen of the decision-maker. In terms of odds, people who consistently make good decisions are going to have a better overall track record than people who consistently make bad decisions, even though not all of those good decisions will have good outcomes and not all of those bad decisions will have bad outcomes.

In other words, the grades we see now are about the decision-making (sometimes the graders do have particular axes to grind or other biases at play). In three years, the grades will be about the outcomes.