Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Just saw that Jimmy G is signing a 3 year deal with the Raiders. 

OK, so...  I like Jimmy G and respect Josh McD from his time with the Patriots. But this seems doomed and exactly what you would have predicted if you were a pessimist at the beginning of Josh's hiring.

• Like 1
Just now, Fukui San said:

OK, so...  I like Jimmy G and respect Josh McD from his time with the Patriots. But this seems doomed and exactly what you would have predicted if you were a pessimist at the beginning of Josh's hiring.

I'm a Raider fan, and I am hating it. 

It appears that the percentage chance of Kansas City passing their division opponents in AFC West titles despite having about half as many as all 3 of them 8 years ago is...at least more than 50%

Ok ok ok so I know that San Fran has wanted to dump Jimmy for awhile, but they brought in to replace him … Sam Darnold?!?

And I really feel like this says more about Baker Mayfield than he would like.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I think Jimmy will look really good for the five games before he injures himself. 

It doesn't help having to face Joey Bosa 2X (assuming he is available), Denver's defense, and the AFC East (full of pretty good at worst defenses).

Two more big deals, per Adam Schefter.  One benefits the Steelers, and the other benefits the Falcons.  Both are okay, at least on paper.  Since I can't link to them, it's Patrick Peterson going to Pittsburgh, and Jessie Bates heading to Atlanta

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Per Trey Wingo:

I'm sure the NY media coverage will be sober and even-keeled.

And Ian Rappaport and Schefter are saying things look more promising but...they still don't know for sure.

• Like 1

Lot of moves yesterday.   Like a lot a lot.

Bears continue to add, both sides of the ball.   Looks like they are beefing up defense and getting protection for Justin Fields.   If this all works out as intended, with Rodgers leaving the division, the Bears could be serious contenders next year.   

Although the Lions are starting to look .... not sucky.   

• LOL 1
20 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Hey @Lantern7, now that Rodgers is going to the Jets, any chance the Jets would pick up Adam Thielen for wide receiver?

Given the money they have to allocate to Rodgers, and that they already have a solid WR1, I would think that Thielen would need to come for a bargain because he wants to play with Rodgers.

And until Rodgers is actually a Jet, I've been thinking that there is still a legitimate chance that he will not be a Jet. Which would be a very interesting development for the Jets. I'm not sure what their play B is.

As for the other QB movement in the league, I think that Darnold to the 49ers is the low key most interesting. His problem has always been on-field decision making. He's got good physical skills and seems to be a smart kid with a good wok ethic.

And the 49ers offense is designed and coached to be pretty quarterback friendly. If Darnold ends up on the field at some point, which I don't think the team wants but needs to be prepared to happen, he'll probably do just fine.

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ok ok ok so I know that San Fran has wanted to dump Jimmy for awhile, but they brought in to replace him … Sam Darnold?!?

And I really feel like this says more about Baker Mayfield than he would like.

It’s possible that he’s in talks with the Rams (or Bucs).  I can’t imagine the Falcons passing on Baker for Heinike.  So it’s likely Baker isn’t available, but a deal hasn’t been worked out.

• Useful 1
33 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

And until Rodgers is actually a Jet, I've been thinking that there is still a legitimate chance that he will not be a Jet. Which would be a very interesting development for the Jets. I'm not sure what their play B is.

I think people said Jordan Love over Aaron would be fair enough.  For one, what sense does it make for Jordan to sit for a fourth year.  Plus, he's younger, and if he can perform well, then you'd have him for several years, not just a couple

57 minutes ago, Carey said:

I think people said Jordan Love over Aaron would be fair enough.  For one, what sense does it make for Jordan to sit for a fourth year.  Plus, he's younger, and if he can perform well, then you'd have him for several years, not just a couple

For sure it feels like the Packers are comfortable with moving on from Rodgers and seeing what Love can do.

But until, as the NFL Radio sports updates are saying this morning, "Rodgers sends out a puff of white smoke to let us know what he's doing", neither the Packers or the Jets can move forward with their plans.

• Like 1

Part of me wishes that Green Bay would double/triple whatever efforts they had to force Favre's hand.  In other words, just go all-in & announce a competition for the starting Packers job.  Love will be there throughout all off-season stuff, Rodgers may or may not be

12 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

It's hilarious, if true, how Rodgers is telling the Jets to sign all his buddies first before he'll commit.

As a Packers fan, I can 1000% believe this to be true.  It's what he asked Green Bay to do in previous seasons.   It's the only reason Cobb has been back with Green Bay.

Now,  Lazard is a good player.  His numbers don't completely reflect his value. He can catch but he's also a very good blocker. The Jets wanting to sign him isn't all that surprising and I don't necessarily think it's indicative of a Rodgers demand.   I do think it points to Rodgers to NY because Lazard seemed to indicate where Aaron ends up would matter to him.  

But if they truly after Cobb?  Yeah,  that's a demand. 

5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It'd be darn interesting to both teams unless Rodgers retires and then it'd only be interesting for the Jets.

And kind of hilarious to see the Jets gobsll out to land his friends only for Aaron to still be noncommittal. 

32 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It'd be darn interesting to both teams unless Rodgers retires and then it'd only be interesting for the Jets.

The poor Jets. They always seem to find a way to come up with plans that have the potential to go horribly wrong.

Rodgers contract with the Packers is so funky. I think, but I'm not sure, that if he retires it'll actually be a bigger cap hit for the Packers than if he plays for them.

20 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Rodgers contract with the Packers is so funky. I think, but I'm not sure, that if he retires it'll actually be a bigger cap hit for the Packers than if he plays for them.

They're going to owe him a lot regardless of what he decides.  A trade or retirement is about the same.   Forcing his way back on the Packers team,  which he could do by refusing to play for anyone else, would be a huge financial hit for GB. That's the one they want to avoid.

• Like 1

I think the Packers pretty much got AR to rule that out as an option when they made it clear they're not interested in having him back. It would be too humiliating to force his way back and face the likely possibility that the Packers would start Love over him.

I think part of the problem AR is having is that whatever he says about it not being a factor, he doesn't want to retire the same year as Brady. I think if not for that, he'd happily hang up his cleats. So you have a player who doesn't particularly want to play anymore who nevertheless feels for an outside reason he should hang on for one more season, but also knows his own team doesn't want him. He saw what that was like when Favre was in his shoes and he was in Love's, and he's not going to put himself in the position of getting told to kick rocks, Love's the starter now. So if he's going to play another season, he has to move.

So he's trying to make the one final season more appealing for himself by getting the Jets to load up the team with his best buddies. But all the same, he just doesn't seem like he really wants to play another season of football, and that's why this is all dragging out somewhat. If he was really interested in playing and winning, the Jets are pretty much a slam dunk. All they really need is a QB. Making the playoffs shouldn't really be an issue (there's always the wild card if Buffalo wins the division), and that's enough to make his final season a success rather than an embarrassment. Brady helped smooth the way in that regard by retiring after a season where he didn't win a Super Bowl or even get deep into the playoffs.

Lot's of interesting movement in the NFC East so far. The Eagles are shedding some talented players, including Slay today, to deal with cap space stuff. The Cowboys are shedding some players but adding others.

The Commanders are apparently doing some sort of "if we don't do anything, maybe a quarterback will just appear out of thin air for us" move. (Or they're working on a fully guaranteed deal for Jackson, which would be Snyder's way of handing the other owners a fork in the eye.)

And the Giants are handing out very good money to pretty good players. I'm okay with it. The Waller deal could be really great for them. Or he could continue to struggle with injuries and the team can cut him loose next year. 

• Like 1

There was something someone in my local media said, something he was wishing for.  That was for Aaron Rodgers to get every. Single. Person. He. Wanted, building a "dream team" in New York.  With the ending being one simple thing: The Jets just missing.

In other words, he's rooting for the Jets to be pretty good, but either to lose in the wildcard or finish in 8th place & miss the playoffs.

I actually would love that, but there's one thing I'd rather see more than that: The Packers draft an offensive weapon for Love, and then they win the Super Bowl. For 2023

• Sad 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

According to Rodgers himself, he’s going to the Jets.

He really should have retired as a Packer, and the Jets are going to Jets this up, but what do I know.

Eh, it'll all be forgotten.  Isn't GB pretty fond of Favre despite how he ended his time there and all of the crap he's pulled in retirement?  Speaking of which, should the Vikings be prepping for Rodgers in 2024?

As for GB, they've had Favre and Rodgers as their starting QB for 30 years and managed just two SB titles with three appearances total.  That feels like an underachievement.

• Like 1

Baker Mayfield has signed a one year $8MM deal with the Buccaneers.

I think it's a bad move on his part.  Todd Bowles isn't Sean McVey or Kevin Stefanski.  

With the exception of Mike Evans and Rashad White who else do they have?  And this would be the SIXTH playback in five years for him to learn.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Wait so Jerry Jones gave Zeke Elliott a bunch of money for reasons, and now he throws him away?

Elliott isn't really worth the money of his current contract. But it's actually an option that the Cowboys re-sign him, just for something more reasonable. It was a mistake to invest so much in Elliott to begin with, on account of the position. It's why I'm hoping the Raiders won't be idiots and give Josh Jacobs a huge extension. RBs are fungible, and a great OL can make a pedestrian RB look awesome. And a great OL has other important benefits, so it makes sense for a team to invest their money in the OL rather than in a RB, because it's more bang for the buck.

59 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Baker Mayfield has signed a one year $8MM deal with the Buccaneers.

I think it's a bad move on his part.  Todd Bowles isn't Sean McVey or Kevin Stefanski.  

With the exception of Mike Evans and Rashad White who else do they have?  And this would be the SIXTH playback in five years for him to learn.

It may be a bad move for him, but I also don't know if he had much in the way of options, especially assuming he wants to be a starter. With the Bucs, he will have the chance to win the job. What other team would be bringing him on as anything other than a backup? The teams who need starters have either already signed them or are going to be picking a QB in this year's draft. Are there any teams left besides the Bucs for whom that's not the case? The Jets, I suppose, but it seems fairly certain at this point even though Rodgers is still dragging his heels on actually signing the paperwork. And Baltimore is also basically set; Jackson will end up playing on the franchise tag for them. No other team is going to be willing to pony up both the 100% guaranteed contract he wants plus the picks they'd have to send Baltimore.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It may be a bad move for him, but I also don't know if he had much in the way of options, especially assuming he wants to be a starter.

I was hoping he'd see the benefit of staying with the Rams as a back up, because we all know Matt isn't gonna last much longer, physically.  He'd be a great mentor to Baker as would McVey.

Just like I was hoping Jacoby would stay as back up to DeShawn.  But he played fairly well last year, so it's not a surprise someone picked him up.

I think only the Colts don't have a bona-fide starter, other than the Cardinals.  But who knows what's gonna happen there.

On 3/15/2023 at 2:52 PM, cambridgeguy said:

Eh, it'll all be forgotten.  Isn't GB pretty fond of Favre despite how he ended his time there and all of the crap he's pulled in retirement?

Favre had an aww shucks aspect about him that just made him seem like an everyman even though he wasn't.  (Philanderer, then there was the dick pick and alleged welfare fraud.) He was also the QB that brought the team from perennial losers to winners.  At the time Rodgers took over, having a great QB wasn't such a novelty.

He was embraced when he went into the Hall of Fame.  I do think the "alledged" welfare stuff has tarnished him for all but the most die-hard of fans.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3

Rodgers is going to the Jets for one year.   He doesn't really care what happens that year.   he retires next year.   He just doesn't want to retire the same year as Brady and share a HOF class with him.  

16 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Lot's of interesting movement in the NFC East so far. The Eagles are shedding some talented players, including Slay today, to deal with cap space stuff. The Cowboys are shedding some players but adding others.

The Commanders are apparently doing some sort of "if we don't do anything, maybe a quarterback will just appear out of thin air for us" move. (Or they're working on a fully guaranteed deal for Jackson, which would be Snyder's way of handing the other owners a fork in the eye.)

And the Giants are handing out very good money to pretty good players. I'm okay with it. The Waller deal could be really great for them. Or he could continue to struggle with injuries and the team can cut him loose next year. 

the Commanders are making moves to give Jackson some help.   The Eagles are bringing back Slay (this broke last night so your statement was accurate at the time).   The Cowboys are ... doing nothing.   Really.   Because Jerry Jones is still convinced he is amazing at the draft.   With the usual results.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Rodgers is going to the Jets for one year.   He doesn't really care what happens that year.   he retires next year.   He just doesn't want to retire the same year as Brady and share a HOF class with him.  

Rodgers has a lot of pettiness in him but I don't think Brady lives as much in his head that he'd go to another team just to avoid retiring the same year as Brady. 

I don't believe Rodgers for one second when he said he was at 90% retiring before he entered the darkness retreat, was at 50/50 when he came out and then decided to play when he heard the Packers were shopping him. In addition to shopping himself a year or two ago, he certainly sounded like he was a QB for hire at the Pro-Am golf tournament he won before he went into his retreat.

Rodgers only started talking about retiring after they drafted Jordan Love.  He talks a lot about legacy and he knows how unique it would have been to retire with the same team who drafted him. He just wanted to call the shots as to when that'd be as opposed to his team making that decision.

Now that he's wrapped his head around going to another team, I can see him playing for another few years if he thinks the Jets can win.  Another Superbowl or a terrible team are the only two ways I see him lasting only a year.

I was talking about TV and Sports and such things today. I pointed out that the NFL operates on a different playing field as far as how much money it generates and how important it is to TV.  I remember hearing a stat about how the majority of the most watched TV programs were NFL games, so I looked it up.

And the fun thing about this top 25 most watched shows is that it is JUST for Primetime shows.  So #2 with 50 million viewers was the NFC Championship game. It's a pretty safe bet that the AFC Championship earlier that day was also a 40+ million viewer event. Just that game and the two other divisional playoff games will push the Oscars right out of the top 25.

The NFL is a monster.

image.thumb.png.faf3bdcc885c8be7800166018bad37b1.png

• Like 2
On 3/15/2023 at 2:52 PM, cambridgeguy said:

Eh, it'll all be forgotten.  Isn't GB pretty fond of Favre despite how he ended his time there and all of the crap he's pulled in retirement?  Speaking of which, should the Vikings be prepping for Rodgers in 2024?

As for GB, they've had Favre and Rodgers as their starting QB for 30 years and managed just two SB titles with three appearances total.  That feels like an underachievement.

This Packers fan despises Favre.  His actions in NY, sending unsolicited pictures of his genitals to that woman, were despicable.  He's a pig.  I've written to the Packers saying it is my wish they never let him into Lambeau again.  

I was a Aaron Rodgers fan until a few years ago when he started with all his nonsense, and especially after lying about his vaccination status.  I had to laugh yesterday when he said that when he emerged from his darkness retreat he was shocked to discover that the Packers were talking to other teams.  How could he have been shocked about that?  Sports reporters and fans, both locally and nationally, have talked about the possibility of a trade since the Packers finished the 2022 season.  Even more hilarious was when he said he was disappointed they didn't speak to him about it, because he's all about direct communication.  Really Aaron?  The guy who has spent much of the past few years making cryptic statements and then getting upset when he is "misinterpreted" is all about direct communication?  The guy who said yeah, I'm immunized and after weeks of being lambasted for lying finally said perhaps he misled people?  

I don't care how Love plays this season, I just want the Packers to move on.  Stop with the drama already.   

• Like 10
11 hours ago, Calvada said:

This Packers fan despises Favre.  His actions in NY, sending unsolicited pictures of his genitals to that woman, were despicable.  He's a pig.  I've written to the Packers saying it is my wish they never let him into Lambeau again.  

Add to that the alleged welfare fraud  he committed in Mississippi and he is an even bigger pig now.

17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Rodgers has a lot of pettiness in him but I don't think Brady lives as much in his head that he'd go to another team just to avoid retiring the same year as Brady. 

When I heard that I thought eh I don't know.  I mean they will both be first ballot hall of famers but does it really matter if they both are voted in the same year?

17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Rodgers only started talking about retiring after they drafted Jordan Love.  He talks a lot about legacy and he knows how unique it would have been to retire with the same team who drafted him. He just wanted to call the shots as to when that'd be as opposed to his team making that decision.

I don't follow the Packers but I do hear a lot of Aaron Rodgers news so my question is how has he treated Love?  Has he been a mentor or viewed Love as a threat and didn't want to help him lest he lose his job?

Edited by bluegirl147
13 hours ago, Calvada said:

I don't care how Love plays this season, I just want the Packers to move on.  Stop with the drama already.   

Yeah, I've been thinking that maybe the Jets should counter whatever the Packers are asking for compensation with, "I think the question is, what are you going to give us to take him off your hands."

• Like 1
On 3/17/2023 at 7:47 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I don't follow the Packers but I do hear a lot of Aaron Rodgers news so my question is how has he treated Love?  Has he been a mentor or viewed Love as a threat and didn't want to help him lest he lose his job?

From all accounts, he has treated him well. Especially since he has been in that situation.  He seems to mostly place the blame on the execs and doesn't hold it against Love. Favre was much cooler* towards Rodgers than Rodgers has been towards Love.

(*Not cool cool but dickish cool)

Rodgers is mostly liked in the locker room. Some might think he's kooky but I don't think he's as much of a dick 1 on 1.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1

I just read in this week’s People magazine that less than two weeks before he was traded, Las Vegas Raiders (as he was listed, news moves quickly, man) tight end Darren Waller married his girlfriend, WNBA superstar Kelsey Plum, who plays for … the Las Vegas Aces.  Enjoy that honeymoon period moving your new husband across the country!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 3/17/2023 at 10:50 AM, Irlandesa said:

From all accounts, he has treated him well. Especially since he has been in that situation.  He seems to mostly place the blame on the execs and doesn't hold it against Love. Favre was much cooler towards Rodgers than Rodgers has been towards Love.

Rodgers is mostly liked in the locker room. Some might think he's kooky but I don't think he's as much of a dick 1 on 1.

From what I've read as long as they're helping the team win, most NFL players would be fine with a child killer on the team. 

• Like 1

So it looks like the KC dominance is going to be lasting for a very long time, at the very least.  It could be to the point on which will end first between that or the tenure of the current NFL Commish.

In other words, get used to Roger Goodell as the commissioner of the league being the case for years & years to come.  If he emulated his successor, he'd be on the way out this year, but IMO I didn't see why that had to be the case

Edited by Carey
Wrong link
  • Sad 2
On 3/16/2023 at 8:07 PM, Calvada said:

I'm just glad the focus is off of Tom Brady and the media can focus on another QB for a change!  Even some of us Buc's fans were tired of the daily drama that the media stirred up around TB.  We're happy for what he did for the Bucs, but it was time for him to move on.  The Bucs can move on, and we will wait most anxiously for the new season.