Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

When I was trying to fall asleep last night football was on my mind and it occurred to me in the past 20 years two divisions have sent all four teams to the Super Bowl. Without looking it up which two divisons is it?

I'm not looking it up either, but offhand I'd say the NFC South (Saints, Panthers, Bucs, Falcons) and the NFC West (Rams, Niners, Cards, Seahawks).  Do I win?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I'm not looking it up either, but offhand I'd say the NFC South (Saints, Panthers, Bucs, Falcons) and the NFC West (Rams, Niners, Cards, Seahawks).  Do I win?

Yes you win. Both those divisons have been so hot and cold the past 20 years.  From year to year there isn't really a clear-cut favorite.

Not surprisingly AFC East has only sent one team.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 1

Edited because I'm slow.  Also, I also didn't look it up.  In addition, for some reason, the page didn't update with new content (that's on my end).

I do want to comment on how simple it was, but not before thinking for 90 seconds.  I know 4 teams that haven't been to the game at all, including one inside the AFC North.  The AFC South is a joke.  We know that the NFC East is, and the Chargers exist.  The Jets sorta have a decent future, but Kansas City, Buffalo, and Cincy aren't going anywhere.  Prior to that?  Yep, the Jets still have 1968.

Too bad the Eagles lost.  That's only because the NFC East could've been the only division in the NFC in which every Super Bowl within said division won the Big Game at least twice

Edited by Carey
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

When I was trying to fall asleep last night football was on my mind and it occurred to me in the past 20 years two divisions have sent all four teams to the Super Bowl. Without looking it up which two divisons is it?

Nfc west and nfc south. 

The nfc and afc have been very different for superbowl appearances recently. 

Nfc 12 of 16 teams have made the superbowl. The two divisions and gb, Chicago, Philly and nyg

Afc it's been qb driven. First it was manning brady and Roethlisberger and then mahommes took over. 

You have Flacco once and burrow but exceptions to the rule. So it's been ne, Baltimore Pitt cincy indy kc Denver. Only 7 teams.  And indy and denver were both manning. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's true.  When you think of the NFC teams you think of the whole team but when you think of the AFC teams it's almost always Brady, Manning and to a lesser extent Roethlisberger.  I couldn't even tell you who the QB was for Chicago when they went.

34 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:
52 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's true.  When you think of the NFC teams you think of the whole team but when you think of the AFC teams it's almost always Brady, Manning and to a lesser extent Roethlisberger.  I couldn't even tell you who the QB was for Chicago when they went.

It was Rex Grossman who got the Bears to the Super Bowl. He didn't do very much in that game and Bears lost to Peyton Manning & the Colts. It was basically the end of Rex Grossman after that. 

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The first (of the ones I remember) in the pretty long list of games where the Giants managed to lose to the Eagles in ridiculous ways. 

Which reminds me that I was chatting yesterday with a fellow Giants fan and said, "Was it just me, or when the Eagles gave up a soul crushing, game changing, fourth quarter 60+ yard punt return, did you think That's a shame"?

His response: "Ya hate to see it happen..."

Heh.

• LOL 3

Losing coordinators and front office people is the price of success for teams. 

Good for both of those guys for landing head coaching jobs. There aren't many to go around, and it's life changing money even if you only get one crack at it. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Losing coordinators and front office people is the price of success for teams. 

Good for both of those guys for landing head coaching jobs. There aren't many to go around, and it's life changing money even if you only get one crack at it. 

Yeah, the losing team lost 2 assistant coaches.   Yet somehow, someway Eric Bienemy who has now won TWO Super Bowls and coached in a third keeps getting passed over.   What COULD it be?

• Fire 1
  • Applause 6
30 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Yeah, the losing team lost 2 assistant coaches.   Yet somehow, someway Eric Bienemy who has now won TWO Super Bowls and coached in a third keeps getting passed over.   What COULD it be?

Last year I was hoping Bienemybwould be the Vikings' new head coach. Then this year I was hoping he'd be the new defensive coordinator.

Are there any other head coaching jobs open? I don't think Bears fired their guy, or did they? 

32 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Andy Reid.  Plus Patrick Mahomes.

Apparently Eric is applying for other OC jobs.  That way he can show his skills to where it's not a product of the best HC/QB.

As mentioned by other people, I probably would stay with KC over going to Washington.  Pittsburgh would be great for Bienemy.  New England could've worked before Bill O'Brien's return.

This sucks, and I (and others know what gives); it's a little hypocritical, TBH.

2 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Are there any other head coaching jobs open? I don't think Bears fired their guy, or did they? 

No.  All HC vacancies have been filled

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Andy Reid.  Plus Patrick Mahomes.

Apparently Eric is applying for other OC jobs.  That way he can show his skills to where it's not a product of the best HC/QB.

As mentioned by other people, I probably would stay with KC over going to Washington.  Pittsburgh would be great for Bienemy.  New England could've worked before Bill O'Brien's return.

This sucks, and I (and others know what gives); it's a little hypocritical, TBH.

No.  All HC vacancies have been filled

As a Commies fan, I would love to have him, but I wouldn’t wish any job with my team on my worst enemy.   That is tantamount to masochism.  

• Hugs 1

Juju Schuster showing everyone what it’s like to be a sore winner on Twitter, and getting appropriately called out by AJ Brown and others. Just take your ring that Mahomes gifted you and stay quiet.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

Juju Schuster showing everyone what it’s like to be a sore winner on Twitter, and getting appropriately called out by AJ Brown and others. Just take your ring that Mahomes gifted you and stay quiet.

100%.  I'm happy for Schuster & that he got the title.  I guess he couldn't wait one second to go back to his old ways.

At least with Kelce, he was an integral part of Kansas City's success

• Like 3

There are rumors bienemy doesn't get along well with players andd doesn't interview well 

https://fansided.com/2022/05/26/lesean-mccoy-eric-bieniemy-comments/

https://whodatdish.com/2022/02/17/saints-dodged-bullet-eric-bieniemy/

Who knows if it's true or not.  Just the reasons given for him missing out after interviews with literally about half the teams in the league now over the past 4 years. 

• Useful 1

Yeah I am taking anything LeSean McCoy says with a grain of salt.   How many teams has he bounced around?   If everywhere you go there is a problem, maybe you are the problem.  

Define interview well?   Because I refuse to believe that Nathaniel Hackett and Jeff Saturday were THAT much better in interviews than Bienemy.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

There's no defense with Hackett.  There's an ounce or two with Saturday since he's been connected to the organization in which he excelled.  Plus, the latter was only there temporarily.  Not once did I think he was getting hired (barring a surprising run toward perfection)

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Carey said:

There's no defense with Hackett.  There's an ounce or two with Saturday since he's been connected to the organization in which he excelled.  Plus, the latter was only there temporarily.  Not once did I think he was getting hired (barring a surprising run toward perfection)

Saturday was surprisingly close to getting the job if irsay was solely in charge of the decision.  Luckily he was talked out of it. Again all rumors.  

What 'doesn't interview well' means is all very vague. No specifics are given.  

1 hour ago, twoods said:

The ring that Mahomes and the refs (and the Eagles' defense in the second half) (but especially the refs) gifted him.  Juju and Kelce both have acted like total assholes while the Eagles players, to a one, have acted with nothing but class.  Before the game Sunday, I was fine with either team winning, but I've done a total 180 on the Chiefs: they're the new Patriots.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Before the game Sunday, I was fine with either team winning, but I've done a total 180 on the Chiefs: they're the new Patriots.

Come sit by me. I've been saying that for months. Is it so hard to be a gracious winner?

• Applause 1

The Patriots were actually gracious, IMO.  Though sorta on a Novak Djokovic level, but they didn't really boast about things.  Their fans do/did, but New England was kind of boring, cheesy, and just too ordinary to get to the level of boasting.  I think the fact that they opted out of losing in a dozen ways was infuriating

Just because somebody is a successful coordinator doesn't mean he deserves a shot to be a head coach. Head coach is a completely different job with a different set of job responsibilities.

You have to be a leader above all else. You have to be the face of the franchise. You have to have a plan on how the team will all row in the same direction. You have to demonstrate that people want to follow you.

Just because you're a smart coordinator with a good record doesn't mean you have head coaching skills. I also think that a good owner and GM can figure out whether or not a candidate has HC skills, and not just through the interview but also by talking to people who worked with the guy.

Joe Judge gave the impression that he could do all those things, but he couldn't. Hackett, I'm not sure if the Broncos looked for all the right traits or if they just hired a guy with a good track record as an OC. Brian Daboll gave all of the signs that he had HC skills, and so far, so good. Wink Martindale is a great DC, but he can't get a HC job because he doesn't give teams the belief that he could be a successful head coach.  

Mike McDaniel had exactly one season as the San Francisco OC before getting the HC job in Miami. He didn't get that job based on his great record as an OC. He got that job because he gave the impression that he possesses HC skills. And in his case, it sure looks like he does. 

• Like 3

IIRC, Mike Tomlin had a year as a DC for Minnesota and beat out a legend in Russ Grimm in addition to Wisenhunt.  I guess he won with someone else's team.  The postseason outcomes have vanished, but to be fair, Pittsburgh has finished with a regular season outcome that at least most people wouldn't even come close to reaching (including 2013, 2019, and 2022)

1 hour ago, Carey said:

The Patriots were actually gracious, IMO.  Though sorta on a Novak Djokovic level, but they didn't really boast about things.  Their fans do/did, but New England was kind of boring, cheesy, and just too ordinary to get to the level of boasting.  I think the fact that they opted out of losing in a dozen ways was infuriating

My dislike of the Patriots stems from how often they beat the Steelers in the post season.  But neither Belicheck or even Brady ever got cocky about winning.  They just kept winning. But with the Chiefs I just don't like to see a team so dominate.  Like the Patriots before them it's gets real tiresome that they are always winning the conference and if not winning the SB at least going to the SB.  As was mentioned yesterday for the AFC the last 20 SBS had 18 of them represented by the same 5 teams.  Meanwhile the NFC had 12 different teams with six of them having more than one appearance.  In the NFC only three QBs went to multiple SBs playing in seven games. The AFC had four QBs playing in 18 games.  I can only speak for myself but I find it more enjoyable when it's not the same teams all the time.  

• Like 1
On 2/15/2023 at 10:07 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

What 'doesn't interview well' means is all very vague. No specifics are given.  

It's one of those intangibles where discrimination is the hardest to prove but often where it lives the most because it isn't a conscious bias.  It's often a "gut" feeling and powered by feeling like there's a commonality between the GM and intervievee. 

On 2/15/2023 at 11:47 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Hackett, I'm not sure if the Broncos looked for all the right traits or if they just hired a guy with a good track record as an OC.

The Broncos and perhaps the Jets hired Hackett because Aaron Rodgers loves him.  At the time the Broncos hired him, people weren't sure yet whether or not Aaron would want to be traded or stay with Green Bay.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

But with the Chiefs I just don't like to see a team so dominate.  Like the Patriots before them it's gets real tiresome that they are always winning the conference and if not winning the SB at least going to the SB.

Much like San Francisco in the 1980s with that head coach and that quarterback, I would expect the Chiefs to be in the mix every year for a good ten year period for the same reason.

The good news, for the people who don't like to see teams be successful for extended periods of time, is that the Chiefs are about halfway through my forecasted 10 year run. 

I'm not seeing this team having the twenty year run that the Patriots had. Coach Reid was about ten years older when he got his great QB.

2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Much like San Francisco in the 1980s with that head coach and that quarterback, I would expect the Chiefs to be in the mix every year for a good ten year period for the same reason.

Also Mahomes is a lot more mobile than Brady was.  Which means it's more likely he will suffer injuries.  Although that ankle sprain didn't seem to hinder him too much.

Where do we think Carr will end up?  There are lots of teams that could use a veteran QB.

Of the most obvious teams who have pretty much said they're looking for a good veteran, I REALLY can't see Carr on the Jets. He is NOT a New York kind of guy. Nor would he be all that thrilled about being on a team with a former high draft pick working behind him and hoping to get another shot.

Thinking outside of the box, what about Baltimore?

Carr, unlike Jackson, has been tremendously durable. Also unlike Jackson, he'll take a perfectly reasonable contract that should be less than what Jackson will get (because Jackson, when healthy, is definitely worth a good $10M per year more than Carr), and not look to get "fully guaranteed" kind of things.

The Ravens are a really good team; they just moved on from their OC so it's in position to go ahead and install a new offense with a new QB; and it would relieve them of having to franchise tag Jackson for a couple of years and then find a new QB.

• Like 1

I heard Carr would end up within the NFC South, mainly Carolina.  It would actually help if he ends up with a team with a decent defense.

I doubt Derek ends up with Baltimore.  From what I've heard, Lamar had a say toward Greg Roman's replacement.  Furthermore, I don't know if he'd be okay dealing with Cincinnati twice a year

• Like 1

I actually don't mind kc at all and I like mahommes. 

What I can't stand is what Travis kelce did and is doing going on and on about 'no one believed in us'  they've been one of the favorites all year.  I hatevit when teams players hit that 'no respect' thing after winning but especially when you're on a team that was at the top all season. Just shut up. 

Also was wearing a bud light diamond necklace?  Uggghhh....

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-rvo1&sxsrf=AJOqlzWAZ1kuEcx7L3zcyvCYr30E2zbl3w:1676510601705&q=bud+light+necklace+kelce&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijqYHX8Jj9AhVolGoFHdelA-8Q0pQJegQIBxAB&biw=384&bih=723&dpr=2.81#imgrc=OnBz1bOC39gk_M

Money fame success doesn't exclude acting like white trash.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What I can't stand is what Travis kelce did and is doing going on and on about 'no one believed in us'  they've been one of the favorites all year.  I hatevit when teams players hit that 'no respect' thing after winning but especially when you're on a team that was at the top all season. Just shut up. 

When he says that it sounds a lot like we expect everyone to love us and kiss our ass.  And it seems like the NFL and media does.  It's just they don't have a nation of fans and I guess they don't like that.  

And I don't know how well everyone hates us works as a motivator.  Everyone hates Dallas and they haven't made it to a SB in over 25 years.  

12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Money fame success doesn't exclude acting like white trash.  

I didn't know a lot about him so I looked him up.  In 2016 he did a dating show.  Enough said.

• Applause 2

To be honest, it goes both ways with Kelce and company.  Yeah it's meaningless to get mad over people "not believing" and what not.  However, it's not a complete myth either.  To be fair, this is someone that takes the middle approach more often than not (seeing both sides of the story).

There were people saying that they wouldn't even make the playoffs (which was dumb really); some had them finishing 4th (meh), and others had them not winning the division.  Why?  Because Tyreek left.  This isn't "everybody picking against Kansas City, but the doubts about KC success at their recent traditional rate were true.

BTW, Buffalo was at the top throughout most of the season.  Kansas City was one of the best teams, and then Cincinnati started to get good again.  Philly was tops in the other conference.  Still, there were still several people saying that KC was the team that probably would get it done due to an eventual MVP season for Mahomes.  That's not everybody, but it's not "nobody"

KC had the 3rd best odds preseason to win the superbowl.  

They had the best odds to win before the divisional playoffs. It only changed basically because mahommes was injured.  

The disrespect and doubters/haters argument just wears thin quickly when you're ONE of the top 3 to 5 picks all year. Sure some teams were ahead of them but they were one of the betting favorites all season.  

Also many of those articles of 'predictions' are just to sell stuff and make people mad.  Often they probably aren't even believed by the writers.  Kelce should know this. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

And I don't know how well everyone hates us works as a motivator.  Everyone hates Dallas and they haven't made it to a SB in over 25 years.

Excellent. I fully approve of taking an uncalled for shot at the Cowboys to make a point about something that has nothing to do with them.

As the Kelce brothers were a topic going into the game, I heard both of them talk a few times. I think I got the best feel for Travis when he talked about his brother. He essentially said that unlike Jason who has a family and a life, he has nothing but football and will probably keep playing until he's on crutches.  

I forget who it was who was talking about Travis, but the guy said that he would have been a great at whatever sport he wanted to turn into his career as a young man. They played Hockey as kids. He would have been a menace on the ice. Heh.

The brothers had a nice recap of what the Super Bowl week was like for their mom on their podcast.  

• Like 3
21 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

with the Chiefs I just don't like to see a team so dominate.  Like the Patriots before them it's gets real tiresome that they are always winning the conference and if not winning the SB at least going to the SB. 

So…should they just start losing??  In football as in life, the ones on top usually do get a lot of hate, mostly out of envy.  I don’t think there is any way a top team can escape this.  They are either too humble and people will think they’re assholes,  too loud and people will think they’re assholes, etc.  You just can’t please them all.  Even Eli Manning gets hate which I will never understand (Giants fan here).

I live in KC and I can tell you this city lives and breathes for the Chiefs.  Not just during playoffs/Super Bowl either, all year round.  All kinds of designated days to wear red, etc.  I’m not from here but being here this year through the last few weeks has been really amazing, a really good vibe for the city and a morale booster.  It’s been awesome.  I didn’t go to the parade as I would rather stick hot pokers in my eyes than be around that many people but I’ve had a blast.  So I can thank them for that.

18 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

As the Kelce brothers were a topic going into the game, I heard both of them talk a few times. I think I got the best feel for Travis when he talked about his brother. He essentially said that unlike Jason who has a family and a life, he has nothing but football and will probably keep playing until he's on crutches.  

I forget who it was who was talking about Travis, but the guy said that he would have been a great at whatever sport he wanted to turn into his career as a young man. They played Hockey as kids. He would have been a menace on the ice. Heh.

The brothers had a nice recap of what the Super Bowl week was like for their mom on their podcast.  

I think it’s such a testament to their parents that they were able to raise to sons who love their parents, love each other, and aren’t afraid to express that.  Mama and Papa Kelce goals over here.  You could see the outcome was such a bittersweet moment for everyone.

• Hugs 3
5 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

So…should they just start losing??

Not going to lie but I do take pleasure when a dominate team is no longer dominate.  I loved when your Giants beat the Patriots in SBs. Twice! Just as I'm sure there are people who love that Steelers aren't the top dog in the AFC anymore.  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Not going to lie but I do take pleasure when a dominate team is no longer dominate.  I loved when your Giants beat the Patriots in SBs. Twice! Just as I'm sure there are people who love that Steelers aren't the top dog in the AFC anymore.  

I feel you.  I still feel residual hate for the patriots and even the cowboys, ha!  And YES…I’m proud to say Eli was the only QB able to stop Brady twice in a Super Bowl.  I think Tom Brady is actually a decent guy, but for some reason that makes me dislike him even more!  

2 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

So…should they just start losing??  In football as in life, the ones on top usually do get a lot of hate, mostly out of envy.  I don’t think there is any way a top team can escape this.  They are either too humble and people will think they’re assholes,  too loud and people will think they’re assholes, etc.  You just can’t please them all.  Even Eli Manning gets hate which I will never understand (Giants fan here).

The catch-22 of sports.  The goal is to win the championship as frequently as possible - every team's fans wants this.  Then when it happens all of the other teams' fans start bitching about how it's not fair, ruins the game, etc. while knowing full well they'd love to be in that position. 

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Then when it happens all of the other teams' fans start bitching about how it's not fair, ruins the game, etc. while knowing full well they'd love to be in that position. 

As a Steeler fan I was too young to enjoy it when they were that team. 

8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'd argue that the NFL needs dynasties, and really has had them in some form since my earliest memories. I'd say pro sports in general need them, but moreso the NFL. 

If you think about it there really hasn't been too many dynasties since the merger.  There was the 70s Steelers.  The 80s 49ers.  The 90s Cowboys and then the Patriots.  There have been more teams that have been consistently good for long period of times.  The late 90s Broncos.  The Packers. The Colts.  The Bills.  The Chiefs I think fall into that category.  But at what point do we call them a dynasty?

I personally consider the Chiefs a dynasty now, but I wouldn't argue with those who think the Chiefs need one more Super Bowl appearance in the next couple of years to solidify it.

I think this SBNation write-up was an excellent article about Eric Bieniemy, which includes a couple of things I hadn't known already and knocks down a couple arguments. But for me it really comes down to: I've seen plenty of white OCs declared offensive geniuses for 1 season of having a great QB and getting a HC job out of it, and "He's from the Coach X tree!" is also something that is seen as a positive when it comes to white OCs. Yes, sometimes it really is the QB and the HC, but white OCs are routinely given the opportunity to prove that right or wrong well before they've compiled anything close to Bieniemy's resume.

Andy Reid says Bieniemy deserves a HC shot, and he would know better than anyone, methinks.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If you think about it there really hasn't been too many dynasties since the merger.  There was the 70s Steelers.  The 80s 49ers.  The 90s Cowboys and then the Patriots. 

Those dynasties collectively covered almost 5 decades though. There's not supposed to be a lot of teams that are dynastic by definition. Each of those teams were at least in the conference championship for most of a decade. There was about a 7 or 8 year stretch where the NFC championship was the 49ers v Cowboys, which was the defacto Superbowl. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'd argue that the NFL needs dynasties, and really has had them in some form since my earliest memories. I'd say pro sports in general need them, but moreso the NFL. 

The whole point of sports is to compete to see who is best.

When a team (like the Michael Jordon era Chicago Bulls) or an individual (like Tiger Woods) rises to a historic level of greatness, the sport itself benefits. 

The team or person doing all the winning draws attention because of their greatness. Some people choose to celebrate their greatness, knowing that what they're watching is special. But because it's competition, it will (and should) create an intense feeling from some to want to see somebody else rise to even greater levels and beat the current champion.

There are a ton of flavors to this. When I have no natural loyalty to anybody or team, I tend to enjoy it when greatness kicks the crap out of everybody for a while. It never lasts forever. And to be honest, if everybody else in the sport is tired of losing, then maybe they should try harder.