Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Greeny previewed his show today something like this - “On Get Up today, Tom Brady Sr.  He is doing very few interviews but will be on our show.”

WHY?  Who cares what Brady’s DAD has to say?

And if the argument is “but Peyton and Eli’s dad” well there is a giant difference between Tom Brady Sr. and Archie Fucking Manning.

Brady’s dad has always had a bit of a famewhore/helicopter dad vibe to him and this definitely doesn’t change that.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Greeny previewed his show today something like this - “On Get Up today, Tom Brady Sr.  He is doing very few interviews but will be on our show.”

WHY?  Who cares what Brady’s DAD has to say?

And if the argument is “but Peyton and Eli’s dad” well there is a giant difference between Tom Brady Sr. and Archie Fucking Manning.

Brady’s dad has always had a bit of a famewhore/helicopter dad vibe to him and this definitely doesn’t change that.

Yeah I recall in the whole deflategate thing his dad was all over defending him while brady himself said little publicly. Which always struck me as such a weak and shitty way for brady to defend himself. Send your dad out there for you instead of doing it yourself.  

On another not I wasted no time....officially done with directv and changed over to youtubetv.  I know it doesn't matter until the fall but just glad to finally ditch directv.  Couldn't wait. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

nd if the argument is “but Peyton and Eli’s dad” well there is a giant difference between Tom Brady Sr. and Archie Fucking Manning.

Yeah Archie Manning is in the HOF*

(I know he's not, but I'm going to make this stupid comment ALL the time because my belief that he is is stubborn).

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Yeah Archie Manning is in the HOF*

(I know he's not, but I'm going to make this stupid comment ALL the time because my belief that he is is stubborn).

Technically, you are correct!

In college, he played for the Ole Miss Rebels football team at the University of Mississippi and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1989.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

What's currently hilarious with the Archie (College) HOF talk was that I just thought about it earlier in the week and how it was a brief annual talking point (around this time), and how someone should mention Archie and HOF on an annual basis!

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Joe Mixon has been problematic since college.

I am unfamiliar with him, but considering your statement, I found the following, from his attorney (Shaffer), to be...interesting:

“It was a rush to judgment,” Schaffer said to Pelissero. “They’re dropping the charges first thing in the morning. I really feel that police have an obligation before they file charges—because of the damage that can be done to the person’s reputation—to do their work. They should be held to a higher standard. Because I don’t play with people’s lives.”

When Joe Mixon was in college, he punched a female right in the face.  There's definitely video of it, pretty tough to watch.

Every time I draft him in Fantasy I have to overlook it.  We play for a lot of money, and he's helped me win some leagues.

8 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

When Joe Mixon was in college, he punched a female right in the face.  There's definitely video of it, pretty tough to watch.

Every time I draft him in Fantasy I have to overlook it.  We play for a lot of money, and he's helped me win some leagues.

To be fair to Joe Mixon, his actions were preceded by a female using a very nasty racial slur at him.  More than enough that would get anybody cancelled, period.

However, not to be fair to Joe Mixon, that's no excuse.  It would be a reason for such a horrific act, but several people like him who have been the victim of similar stuff didn't react in the way Mixon acted (saying it was still wrong)

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Carey said:

What's currently hilarious with the Archie (College) HOF talk was that I just thought about it earlier in the week and how it was a brief annual talking point (around this time), and how someone should mention Archie and HOF on an annual basis!

Well clearly I am going to be "that person."

1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

I hate Archie Manning and all of the spawn he beget upon the world.

gif-of-miranda-priestly-thats-all-gif.gi

I didn't care for his spawn all that much when my team was playing them.  But when they were beating Tom Brady I was all for it.  I do like them off the field.  I find them funny and engaging.  However all this hype surrounding the grandson is just too much.  He hasn't even played one down in college yet and they are acting like he is already going to be a NFL HOFamer. 

• Like 2

So, no comments about the preSuperbowl games?  I thought it was fun.  As someone mentioned above, if it looked like the players were having fun, then it might be fun to watch.  They did, and it was, at least for me.  

Loved the one guy in the longest drive competition:  I've never golfed, but I watched a few YouTube videos.  LOL.

I was worried about Tyler Huntley because he plays for "my" team, the Ravens, and not too many people feel he belongs there, but he did good.

Not sure why the guy in the AFC had to catch 5 balls at once and nobody in the NFC had to catch more than 2.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Johann said:

Not sure why the guy in the AFC had to catch 5 balls at once and nobody in the NFC had to catch more than 2.

It was cumulative, and no one in the NFC was able to catch three.  Was v. disappointing.

25 minutes ago, Johann said:

Loved the one guy in the longest drive competition:  I've never golfed, but I watched a few YouTube videos.  LOL.

He reminded me of Charles Barkley's swing. LOL

I've always loved the Skills Challenges more than the actual Pro Bowl itself, but it being flag football this time should be pretty interesting.

I'm voting for Amon-Ra St. Brown for best catch purely on skills alone and totally not shallow reasons at all. 😉

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It was cumulative, and no one in the NFC was able to catch three.  Was v. disappointing.

I know it was cumulative and I thought when nobody from the NFC could catch 3, it meant that the AFC won the challenge.  If they were just trying to get down to 2 players for each conference, I believe that guy qualified before he got to the 5 ball level.  But maybe, they just wanted to give him a chance to show off his skills.

18 minutes ago, Popples said:

I'm voting for Amon-Ra St. Brown for best catch purely on skills alone and totally not shallow reasons at all. 😉

If I'm remembering correctly, I think he actually did have the best catches.  I'm just glad they aren't like in the past, when it looked like someone could get hurt.

I know it was cumulative and I thought when nobody from the NFC could catch 3, it meant that the AFC won the challenge.  If they were just trying to get down to 2 players for each conference, I believe that guy qualified before he got to the 5 ball level.  But maybe, they just wanted to give him a chance to show off his skills.

The AFC went first so they kept going until they were all out.  Then the NFC went and did poorly.

I’m almost embarrassed at how intensely I was into the balloon toss.

• LOL 1

Confession - 

As someone who knew TR was a broadcaster now, but didn't really pay attention to which voice blonged to him until recently, I rally don't hate his work. I will admit that, especially the last couple of games, after I started paying attention, he did get rather um, animated.

I have always appreciated Nance's profssionalism and adeptness, but I can see where the suits might want someone with a different energy alongside. 

Just keep TR away from the Red Bull.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I will admit that, especially the last couple of games, after I started paying attention, he did get rather um, animated.

He's especially entertaining when a game gets boring or out of hand.  He can really bring the snark!!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm new to this notion. Please to explain~ tyia

There is not a lot to explain.  Every time we debate whether Eli Manning should be in the HOF, his two Super Bowl wins are brought up.   I always say Archie never made it to the Super Bowl but he is in.   Then everyone corrects me.   This has happened on more than one ocassion.   

Consider it one of my adorable quirks.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

So many anniversaries this week!

Nine years ago yesterday - Peyton Manning met The Legion of Boom

10 years ago - blackout in New Orleans

15 years ago - the greatest Super Bowl ever played.  18-1, baby!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So many anniversaries this week!

50 Years ago...the only super bowl that way better than the best super bowl played

7 years ago...saying no thank you to trying to win a Super Bowl

4 years ago...meh

6 years ago...ew!

17 years ago...the best day in the History of Planet Earth & will be forever!

I'm watching a replay of the skills challenge. They just did the quarterback passing drill. Derek Carr smoked the other quarterbacks with 31 points. I think he only missed one target. Anyhow I figured he was auditioning for a new job.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm watching a replay of the skills challenge. They just did the quarterback passing drill. Derek Carr smoked the other quarterbacks with 31 points. I think he only missed one target. Anyhow I figured he was auditioning for a new job.

Yes. Yes, he is.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Rats I was hoping TJ Hockenson would take the golf challenge at 316 yards, but an AFC guy beat him.

AFC > NFC

As for Derek Carr, he's far from done.  It's just that it's time to move on from the Raiders.  It's sorta like the Eagles.  They have coaches that have WON but got kicked out.  They won elsewhere while Philadelphia won with another coach.

Sometimes someone might not be the guy.  A change of venue may help Derek while McDaniels gets his own guy

The NFL Conference Championship Games Averaged Over 50 Million In Viewers

Pretty decent numbers in advance of the upcoming Super Bowl.  The AFC Title Game, which was about 53 Million, was up from the same conference title game (and same participants) from 52 weeks ago.  In addition to that, the late window saw an increase from last year (Niners/Rams).  This year's NFC Title game was South of 50 Million (about 47 Million); you can probably thank the blowout for that total.

While the Super Bowl should do well (as is the custom), I doubt it'll set a new record in terms of ratings & viewership, something it did five times within the past decade and a half (but hasn't happened in nearly a decade)

ESPN is airing some show about Baltimore heavily featuring Murderin’ Ray Lewis tomorrow, and even if all of my cable channels and every streaming service were broken, I would not watch it.  If you are a fan of the Ravens, however, have a blast!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Of course, TB filmed the video at least a day before he posted it, so there's a decent chance he never touched those grains of sand. 

People with more money than sense!  They could fly down there and go out to the same beach and scoop up some sand cheaper than what they're bidding! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I've had ESPN on since I got up at noon, but I've yet to pay attention to a single minute of the Pro Bowl.  I love Eli and hate Payton, so that fits with my usual rooting for the NFC, but I don't actually care.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love Eli and hate Payton, so that fits with my usual rooting for the NFC, but I don't actually care.

Funny, it's the reverse for me. I don't love Peyton, but I like him, and my perception of Eli will always be colored by what he pulled his draft year. Whiny baby. There are better QBs that went to worse teams without crying about it. Admittedly Eli was supported by his father and might not have been such an entitled jerk without Archie's input. (And I'm a Raiders fan, so that has nothing to do with it - I hate the Chargers.)

• Applause 2

Swagu was exactly correct - Best Catch was like the dunk contest, and sucked just like it.  Hopefully they make some adjustments for next year and out back the skills comp where the receiver has to catch a bunch of different passes and retire this ring that didn’t work.

Also Kick Tac Toe should have been best two out of three.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Funny, it's the reverse for me. I don't love Peyton, but I like him, and my perception of Eli will always be colored by what he pulled his draft year.

I'm not aware of Eli ever placing his genitals on someone's head without their consent, so I'd have preferred him over Peyton even had he played for someone other than the Giants.  The way Peyton and Archie disparaged Dr. Naughtright in their book is disgusting (not to mention Archie telling the ghostwriter Naughtright was going into the dorms and having sex with a bunch of Black student-athletes, something apparently made up out of whole cloth); the cover-up had been successful, so to go there out of the blue was particularly shameful.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 3

Meh.  All of the Mannings have their pros and cons.  I can' say they're angels; really who is.  The not so cool stuff isn't great especially with Archie & Peyton, and Eli's "act" in 2004 is so damn minor that I often forget about it.  It's not like the Chargers have a great culture FWIW.

At the end of the day, 11 times out of 10 I'd have a drink with Peyton (or any of the Mannings) before (or instead of) having one with a dude named Joe Mixon.  That's that

• Like 2

ESPN's got some work to do to make another broadcast like that to be remotely watchable for me. The constant (not so) background chatter from the 400 people they had mic'd, drowning out the moderators... 

If it is an event meant to reward the players for a productive year in which the fans found them vote-worthy, then that's fine. It appeared that the participants had a great time.

If it is an event meant to entertain veiwers thereby making money from a broadcast...not so much. Some of it was okay, most was not from my perspective. Clearly, this event was designed for 20 & 30-something urbanites.  All others need not tune in.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 3

The weekend was basically a Fun Fair for Grown Men.  I guess it's not going to be a big deal when the top people get the $$$$ and the ratings come back beating everything else on television for the week(end)

17 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Funny, it's the reverse for me. I don't love Peyton, but I like him, and my perception of Eli will always be colored by what he pulled his draft year. Whiny baby. There are better QBs that went to worse teams without crying about it. Admittedly Eli was supported by his father and might not have been such an entitled jerk without Archie's input. (And I'm a Raiders fan, so that has nothing to do with it - I hate the Chargers.)

Not going to the Chargers was Archie's idea. Archie was very worried about the Chargers' set-up and didn't want his son to ruin his career playing with a team that had no championship aspirations. Eli agreed. Archie would know a thing or two about going to play for a team that wasn't set up with championship aspirations. 

And the Chargers did just fine. They got the QB they actually wanted and whole bunch of draft picks including one that they used to draft Shawne Merriman in 2005. And as Archie predicted, they won exactly zero championships during Rivers long career.

Other players who refused to sign with the team that drafted them:

• John Elway - His agent knew he had the best player in the draft, so he decided that Elway could choose where he could go rather than be forced to go to the Colts. And he pulled the leverage of being able to play baseball and used the Yankees as the threat. The Yankees drafted him (six spots ahead of Tony Gwynn, d'oh!) and sent him to the minors where he played very well. Terry Bradshaw had some really choice words for Elway back before that draft and never really like him afterwards.
  • Jim Kelly - Heh. He made it perfectly clear that he would NOT play for a cold weather team. He specifically stated that he wouldn't play for the Packers, Vikings, or Bills. Apparently the Bills didn't get the memo because they drafted him. And Kelly, true to his word went to play in the USFL and stayed there until it went out of business. 
  • Bo Jackson - He refused to sign with the Buccaneers who drafted him first overall in 1986. He also had baseball as the threat to never play with Tampa, so they eventually had to give up and that's how he ended up on the Raiders. 
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I remember when that happened and Pittsburgh Steelers quietly drafted Big Ben.  I remember thinking WTF is that.  

I didn't like Peyton during his playing years but I don't mind him as a TV personality now.  I liked Eli mostly because he seemed to be the SB Patriots slayer.   And I never liked Phillip Rivers.

Oh, and this reminds me to HIGHLY recommend the 30 for 30 Elway to Marino story of the 1983 NFL Draft. 

So many reasons to watch that special. There were so many great players in that draft, so many quarterbacks, so many players and teams making deals and screwing around. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Not going to the Chargers was Archie's idea. Archie was very worried about the Chargers' set-up and didn't want his son to ruin his career playing with a team that had no championship aspirations. Eli agreed. Archie would know a thing or two about going to play for a team that wasn't set up with championship aspirations. 

And the Chargers did just fine. They got the QB they actually wanted and whole bunch of draft picks including one that they used to draft Shawne Merriman in 2005. And as Archie predicted, they won exactly zero championships during Rivers long career.

Other players who refused to sign with the team that drafted them:

• John Elway - His agent knew he had the best player in the draft, so he decided that Elway could choose where he could go rather than be forced to go to the Colts. And he pulled the leverage of being able to play baseball and used the Yankees as the threat. The Yankees drafted him (six spots ahead of Tony Gwynn, d'oh!) and sent him to the minors where he played very well. Terry Bradshaw had some really choice words for Elway back before that draft and never really like him afterwards.
  • Jim Kelly - Heh. He made it perfectly clear that he would NOT play for a cold weather team. He specifically stated that he wouldn't play for the Packers, Vikings, or Bills. Apparently the Bills didn't get the memo because they drafted him. And Kelly, true to his word went to play in the USFL and stayed there until it went out of business. 
  • Bo Jackson - He refused to sign with the Buccaneers who drafted him first overall in 1986. He also had baseball as the threat to never play with Tampa, so they eventually had to give up and that's how he ended up on the Raiders. 

That may very well be, but the way Archie and Eli handled it was so incredibly gross; entitled privilege at its worst.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1