Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Meanwhile over at ESPN, Disney is chopping all sorts of on air talent to save some money. (My company has to deal with Disney; they're a thug company from our experience. So I'm not shocked at the way they're going about this.)

Of interest in the NFL group they terminated Suzy Kolber, Keyshawn Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, and Todd McShay.

• Like 1

I’m mad at ESPN for dropping KeyShawn and Max Kellerman, I’m super pissed at ESPN for firing Suzy Kolber and I am *irate* at ESPN for canning number one Raiders fan, Jason Fitz.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I'm sad at Keyshawn & Max's firing.  It should've been the unintelligible Michael Irving.  It's beyond ridiculous that the man can hardly be understood, yells all the time, and won't shut up abt the Cowboys.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 5
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Meanwhile over at ESPN, Disney is chopping all sorts of on air talent to save some money. (My company has to deal with Disney; they're a thug company from our experience. So I'm not shocked at the way they're going about this.)

Of interest in the NFL group they terminated Suzy Kolber, Keyshawn Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck, and Todd McShay.

Also Steve Young.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I'm sad at Keyshawn & Max's firing.  It should've been the unintelligible Michael Irving.  It's beyond ridiculous that the man can hardly be understood, yells all the time, and won't shut up abt the Cowboys.

I might be out of the loop, and that may be a good thing.  To be more specific, I haven't paid attention to much of the ESPN stuff.  I'm more of an FS1 fan, as well as NFLN & PFT.  Typically Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen precede anything done from ESPN, but Get Up / First Take is/are okay, as well as NFL Live, ATH, and PTI.

Anyway, I haven't caught much of ESPN post-Super Bowl but IIRC, Irvin was removed from both the NFLN and FT during the Super Bowl week.  I haven't seen or heard from him so it appears that Michael made the decision to boot someone that much easier than it would've been had he survived to this current point

(edited)
19 hours ago, roamyn said:

I don't pay attention to who is on what network and generally don't care when they move people around or fire them (but they totally ruined Speak For Yourself by getting rid of Marcellus - he and Ocho were great), but I would be eternally grateful if Michael Irving were forever off my TV screen.

Edited by Johannah
  • Like 2

While I’m okay with the new Speak (For Yourself), it does suck that they did away with Wiley & Acho on this Fox Sports product (not an ESPN show).  Despite that, whether it was that lineup or the current one with Acho, Joy, and Shady, it was third place in terms of my FS1 viewing pleasure (behind The Herd and First Things First). 

I haven’t watched many studio shows over the past several years.  Not so much a dislike of those shows, but it’s just that I don’t have the time anymore.  It doesn’t help that some of the programming has been extended while others have been watered down.  College Gameday is not longer a much watch program.  Meanwhile, I can catch PTI and ATH via podcast or by other means.  NFL Live is okay, but unless I’m earning something to watch it 24/7 it’s not something I’d watch all the time.

The layoffs for the NFL hurt a ton, but Steve Young & Suzy’s exits were not surprising at all.  In fact they were pretty much speculated in advance.  Again, I didn’t watch the full Monday Night Countdown throughout the season, but caught it from time to time.  That was a rather decent & professional pregame show.  Kobler did a great job over the past decade in addition to everything else she did for a long time.  Even though she & Stuart came into the ESPN family together she was in a role of filling big shoes, and succeeded there.

I don’t know what the program will be like heading into the 2023 season, but I imagine ESPN will (or might) emulate what they did from 2008-2015.  In other words, just have the Sunday NFL Countdown host the Monday Night Countdown as opposed to having 2 separate teams.  Or, as mentioned elsewhere, have the NFL cast host it live.  Barring that, the live crew would be done away with.  It might be over & done with anyway

(edited)

Chris Berman NFL Prime Time in the 90's/early 2000s was the last time I watched anything football related on ESPN.  He Can Go All The Way...

I had to edit my post to be extremely shocked he is still part of that network 

Edited by BlueSkies

I still can’t believe that for YEARS I watched all four hours of Sunday NFL Countdown.  I stopped when Boomer left though, actually I think it was when Tommy left. Where on earth did I find the time?

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Was someone asking about defense?  (Links from Threads must not be able to be embedded yet)

IMG_8316.jpeg

Gardner, White, Woolen, Baker, Holland.  

If I'm going to grab one guy from the first column, it has to be Gardner. It's not exactly bargain basement shopping to fill out the rest of the DBs with the talent in columns 4 and 5, so I'd happily go to battle with this group. 

Whenever I've seen or heard either of them interviewed, they both come off as very likeable people. 

Reading that article, it says that she's always been very private about her relationships. Then, because of what you said @twoods about the Bills fans, I read some of the comments after that article. (I rarely read internet comments outside of this site, because people are stupid.)

The ones I got through were exactly what I expected, which means they ranged from Bills fans saying "just win the Super Bowl" and "I have a 24 year old daughter here in Buffalo; I'll set you up with her" to at least a couple that makes it clear why Steinfeld would want to keep her relationships private. So freaking rude.

• Like 1

Has anyone looked at the new YouTube NFL Sunday Ticket?  Aside from the fact that even with a "discount," it's insanely more expensive than I paid last year for streaming Sunday Ticket on DirecTV, there doesn't seem to be a dedicated football app on Roku. 

Would I be correct that you have to go to YouTube, sign in, navigate to subscriptions, pick Sunday Ticket, wait for that, and maybe get to watch a game, and if you leave the app, have to start all over again?  I am used to toggling between the Sunday Ticket app and my cable service for local games, which was generally simple and quick.

Wish I could find screenshots/previews of what it's going to look like.  If it turns out to be like Amazon's venture into live football, I'll forgo Sunday Ticket for the first time in 16 years and just watch Red Zone channel.

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I literally just this minute found out Baker Mayfield is a Buc, in a tweet about the creamsicle unis they are rolling out this season (related note - good move, Tampa).

Agreed about the uniforms. That's a fun look. (Although the first thought that enters my head when I think about them was the many, many times SportsCenter showed a highlight of Vinnie Testaverde chasing a linebacker into the end zone after he mistakenly threw the ball to him.)

I have a good feeling about Tampa this year. Somebody has to win that division, and I'm not just handing it to the Saints because they went out and signed Carr. There are things to like about Atlanta and Carolina, but both of them are going with a very young quarterback and hoping for the best.

I think Mayfield ended up in a damn good place for him. It's actually a relatively stable organization, which would be a change for him. He's got some real talent around him on the roster, and with any luck the OL won't be as horribly wiped out by injury like it was last year.

And the big one for me is the new OC coach Bowles brought in.  Dave Canales was with the Seahawks for a long time, and he was the QB coach last year with Geno Smith. His first couple of years when he moved to QB coach in Seattle were 2018-2019. Wilson threw 66 TDs against 12 interceptions and two pro bowl appearances in those years.

It feels like Baker is set up to succeed this year.

😒

Gee, Aaron Rodgers & the Jets arrived today for the start of their Training Camp. Yay.  

I'm still on NFL Summer Vacation till Labor Day & I can't wait for Week 1 to come by so I can see Aaron Rodgers & the Jets fall flat on their faces this season. I will root for Aaron Rodgers & the Jets this upcoming season like I root for the Cowboys & their very scummy owner and I will most certainly enjoy Aaron Rodgers & Jets failing this season.

• LOL 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Today the owners meet to approve the sale of the Commanders.

Our long national nightmare may soon be over.    May Danny Boy crawl into whatever hole he came from and stay there.

Good. It sucks that Danny Boy can't take Jerry Jones & his son (Stephen Jones) with him to whatever hole he came from & stay there. They all can get lost & stay lost. 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

Well see how good Stephen Jones is when the Jerry era ends.  Might not be much better than how the Mark Davis era is with that franchise post Al.  However, I'm okay with Jerry and Stephen.  AFAIK they haven't done anything to get kicked out.  Of course, they also haven't done anything in terms of the ultimate prize, but unlike Danny, they actually have won before.  Finally, laughing is healthy (for the most part), so thanks to Dallas for that annual gift

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Normally I would think that Ol’ Danny would fail up, but I think he is juuuuust slimy enough that people will stay away.

He gets a record 6.05 billion on this sale for being an utter sleaze. I'd call that failing up. Of course he couldn't be made to give up ownership of the franchise for free, but it still sucks. I'm happy for the long-suffering DC fans that they're finally rid of him.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

I just have to say, Jack Kent Cooke was the type of owner I liked, was his personal life messy, yes, but he was fun.  I never got the same feeling for the Snyders. 

I don't think Snyder ever cared about football.  The Commanders was just an acquisition to him. He didn't have respect for the game. Or the fans. Or any woman that was anywhere close to him.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Black Knight said:

He gets a record 6.05 billion on this sale for being an utter sleaze. I'd call that failing up. Of course he couldn't be made to give up ownership of the franchise for free, but it still sucks. I'm happy for the long-suffering DC fans that they're finally rid of him.

Does the stadium go along with the team? 

Is this the worst ownership tenure in the history of sports?  People older than me might have a more accurate answer but what a waste of a quarter century that started not too long after some very good times in Washington DC

No thank you to that name change.  However, if they're called Washington Team Football, and not Washington "Football Team", I think I could be okay with that!

(edited)
23 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Next up .....Jerry jones!!

20 hours ago, roamyn said:

And may the Hasletts fall down after the Joneses.

12 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'd like to kick Mark Davis to the curb.

Jerry Jones can't go away fast enough for me. It pisses me off that ESPN & FS1 are always finding ways to talk about him, praising him, & his crappy NFL team and can't seem to keep his name out of their mouths. I'm always thinking that Jerry Jones is the NFL Commissioner & not that other f---face Roger Goddell. He's part of the reason why we have a 17 game season (🤬) & we'll never get another 0-16 season, much less ever seeing an 0-17 season (😒). He's also part of the reason why stuff that is not worth a damn in the NFL like Power Rankings are such a thing.

As for those other two, they won't be missed. But to me after Jerry Jones & Stephen Jones, I rather see Dean Spanos (sucky Chargers), that rotten vile owner of those stupid Texans, Stephen Ross (Dolphins), & the Bidwells (Cardinals) be gone from the NFL & stay gone. Hopefully, I won't ever have to worry about those scumbags ever lifting that Super Bowl Trophy. It'll definitely be vomit-inducing seeing either of those losers winning the Super Bowl.

Edited by Magog

While they're praise for Josh Harris succeeding Dan Snyder, it doesn't change the fact that he sorta sucks as a Philadelphia franchise owner.  However, in a scenario where he'd go with the wishes of a player than a head coach, that ain't happening in the NFL