Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Johann said:

A pivotal play/penalty/ref call near the end of a game gets more attention, but is still just one play of many.

So true.  One example is that I'd hate to be a kicker.  You're either the hero or the loser, but if your team had played better football in the last 3-3/4's of the game, then you wouldn't be in that position!    

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Yeah. The worst is a half ass end of the game offense that ends up with the kicker forcing a 50+ yard kick, then all the armchair assholes flailing around calling him a choker. Yeah, no.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Brock Purdy tore his UCL and is getting a second opinion to see if he needs surgery.  Poor kid.

That's really a shame.  For all of the hype leading up to the game, then it all goes to hell in the first 10 minutes.  That's got to sting!  Again, Murphy's Law hit SF pretty hard yesterday.  

Is this the most cursed stretched that any team has gone through at QB? Lance, Garappalo and now Purdy all out with long term injuries over a single season.

That Kellen More move sure doesn't seem like a vote of confidence in the Cowboys' organization. I

4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Is this the most cursed stretched that any team has gone through at QB? Lance, Garappalo and now Purdy all out with long term injuries over a single season.

It's the Revenge of Colin Kaepernick...

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 3
59 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That Kellen More move sure doesn't seem like a vote of confidence in the Cowboys' organization. I

None of those injuries looked like they should have been catastrophic at the time, too. None of them were like the Wilber Marshall blowing up Joe Montana that time. They were all common hits. 

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

It's the Revenge of Colin Kaepernick...

Or Alex Smith, who got a concussion and they sent in Kaep.

But moving on from yesterday's sad events, if you get a chance check out a show on HBO called Game Theory, especially the latest episode talking about Brett Farve.  It starts with a montage of all the dubious people who have said nice things about Mr. Farve, and it is long as well as truly hilarious.

Or the episode of Hard Knocks where the Cardinals play the 49ers in Azteca Stadium.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I think the Eagles win this game by at least two touchdowns. 

Looks like Kansas City will have to hope Rihanna's performance is enough to cause a State Farm Power Failure.

I don't think the fifteen time AFC West champions are going to "hope" for injuries, but the other thing that might help is if that occurred in a similar way that the 2014 Seahawks got nailed.

While I'm leaning Philadelphia, I'm not going to pick the game right away in a similar way I did with the AFC Title game.  Too soon to tell; despite the matchup, I still see a way the AFC champs can get it done.

I don't think KC's ground game is scary in a way that puts the NFC Champs on notice.  While Chris Jones played a great game, KC's defense isn't that scary.

Based on past history & trends, I wouldn't be surprised with an NFC rout.  I don't know if it'll be 65-7 but I think Kansas City has the experience that teams like Oakland and Denver lacked as a whole.

Still way too soon to actually make a final prediction, but another reason why I might not bet a blowout is due to learning of the officiating lineup.  If you loved it during the AFC Title game, then you might enjoy it more than the Super Bowl commercials one week from Sunday!

21 hours ago, Haleth said:

What is it with Gronk?  It seems I can’t turn the channel without seeing him. He must have a great agent. Commercials, talk shows, movies…

I've been assuming that it was a curse laid upon my tv. So everyone is subjected to him?

That actually doesn't help. 

11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

My son-in-law was at a post game party with Gronk. He is who you think he is. 

So is that good or bad?  LOL

He seems like he would be a nice guy.  Maybe a little bit of a dim bulb.  He annoys me way less than a lot of current and former players.

• Like 2

If I weren’t going to be hours away on a scenic train ride in sub-zero temps on Sunday I would watch the flag football game.  The Mannings plus players having fun, what’s not to like?

I’ll watch whatever I can of the skills competitions too.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Popples said:

Does anyone know how long the Broncos could have waited to not give up this year's first round and next year's second round draft picks for Sean Payton?

Payton's contract extension with the Saints ran through the 2024 season.  If they waited until next year they probably could have negotiated a cheaper price.

• Useful 3

I actually think Demeco Ryan is a good fit for the Texans.  He’s young and they’re young.  He could inject some good energy into the NFL and the team.  The fans know him and give him a little slack as the team goes through growing pains.

OTOH what is Sean Payton thinking?  An aging, downhill QB, a GM who’s not going to give up any control, a team w/internal strife, no good draft picks for the foreseeable future, and a huge cap hit.  I think he should’ve waited to see what happens to LAC next year.

• Like 2

Oh my god is he really leaving this time?!?!  Seriously I will not believe it until game 1 of the season and his stupid face isn’t on the field.

And was it all worth it, in the end? To come back for one year, finish with a losing record, get bounced in the first round of the playoffs, and get one of your coaches fired?  Oh and also, divorce?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 6
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Oh my god is he really leaving this time?!?!  Seriously I will not believe it until game 1 of the season and his stupid face isn’t on the field.

And was it all worth it, in the end? To come back for one year, finish with a losing record, get bounced in the first round of the playoffs, and get one of your coaches fired?  Oh and also, divorce?

Can't say I'm not glad to see  him go.  

Guess he will be in the Fox booth next season for the games of the week.  Wonder if he will annoy as much as Tony Romo.

• Like 2
Just now, ScorpioSoul said:

Odds on Brady changing his mind again?

50/50

2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Can't say I'm not glad to see  him go.  

Guess he will be in the Fox booth next season for the games of the week.  Wonder if he will annoy as much as Tony Romo.

At least he announced it during a down period.  BTW, I can't fault him if he bumps Greg from the top team.  I'd blame FOX for that call

I think he's really done.   He looked his age more than once out there.   Mentally he might want to keep playing, but I think he knows his body can't take it anymore.   This was a pretty low key announcement so I think he really means it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

At least he announced it during a down period. 

But you know he will be mentioned throughout the SB.  Hell the game is on Fox.  I won't be surprised if they introduce him as their new guy during the game.

• Like 2

Unless he's there, I don't think they'll mention it much if at all.  Unless Philadelphia is giving Kansas City a Georgia to TCU beatdown.

FOX has a 7-hour pregame show.  There's more than plenty of time to talk about it

Greg Olsen has said in interviews he knew what he was getting into when he took the job, but I am still offended on his behalf.  He has more than earned the chance to stay as #1 (which is funny, because he basically vaulted over other FOX announcers when Joe and Troy and left).

• Like 3
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Greg Olsen has said in interviews he knew what he was getting into when he took the job, but I am still offended on his behalf.  He has more than earned the chance to stay as #1 (which is funny, because he basically vaulted over other FOX announcers when Joe and Troy and left).

Plus, it wasn't an official decision at the time.  He was a candidate with Tom Brady to succeed Joe and Troy as Kevin's partner.  However, TB12 unretired and there you go.  I guess I'd feel bad for the Moose since he or whoever's under him might be out of a job

32 minutes ago, Carey said:

FOX has a 7-hour pregame show.  There's more than plenty of time to talk about it

No reason why they can't invite him to the pregame show.  At the very least it'll fill some time rather than rehashing some minutia about the Eagles and Chiefs for the tenth time.

Also, if he unretires again it will give him something in common with Michael Jordan.  Sure, some athletes change their minds once, but only the truly special do it twice!

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Like 1

Meh.  He’s a compiler.

One of my friends did not know that Brady has already signed with FOX, and it made me laugh because I forget that there are people who don’t pay attention to every little thing if it’s not about their team.  All he was concerned about was Brady not signing with the Raiders, heh.

I'm not sure this retirement will stick, once his body's had time to recover this off-season. OTOH, maybe it really was Miami or bust for him, so once the Dolphins said they weren't interested in pursuing him this year, that decided it for him.

If we look at some of the other teams that were mentioned as possibilities, you can see why he wouldn't want them. The Niners/Shanahan don't protect their QBs. The Raiders usually have an awful defense.

17 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Payton's contract extension with the Saints ran through the 2024 season.  If they waited until next year they probably could have negotiated a cheaper price.

Yes, but that means Wilson's a year older and another season will have been wasted. The whole point of acquiring Payton is to try to fix Wilson, so waiting a year just to pay less doesn't make much sense. After what they gave up for Wilson and, crucially, signing him to that big extension, they need to do whatever they can to make that work.

It is interesting that Payton's agreed to it, but maybe he doesn't want to be that coach who walks into a great situation and gets derided as "winning with someone else's team," like Jon Gruden did. He may feel like he's got something to prove, especially with people saying the last few years that maybe he's nothing without Brees.

29 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:
56 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Meh.  He’s a compiler.

Compiler of Super Bowl rings.

That's a fact, but at least most people will enjoy their lives doing other stuff in lieu of spending a quarter century of their lives trying (and failing to match TB12).

Compiler might not be the best term, but several people did point out/find it funny that Tom's stats in his last past half decade exceeded 1989 first overall pick and first ballot HOF Troy Aikman's totals over a 12-year career

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

This was a pretty low key announcement so I think he really means it.

I thought it was a classy way to do it.  He said that he did the big announcement last time, so he wouldn't do that again.  Thanks, Tom, for what you did for the Bucs.  We appreciate it!  This season didn't work out so well, but the Bucs will carry on with the knowledge you imparted to the team.  

55 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Cool, Tommy, I hope it was worth sacrificing your marriage and everything else for this one last shitty and forgettable season.

I read that Giselle blindsided him with the divorce and that's why he was gone from practice for so long.  I thought that was a shitty thing of her to do.  Obviously, none of us know both sides of the story, but that explains why he looked so gaunt.  They said he lost a bit of weight at that time.  Maybe all of these things were the catalyst he needed in order to make this decision.  He may not have gone out on a high note, but I still respect him for what he did for the Bucs.  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I thought it was a classy way to do it.  He said that he did the big announcement last time, so he wouldn't do that again.  Thanks, Tom, for what you did for the Bucs.  We appreciate it!  This season didn't work out so well, but the Bucs will carry on with the knowledge you imparted to the team.  

I read that Giselle blindsided him with the divorce and that's why he was gone from practice for so long.  I thought that was a shitty thing of her to do.  Obviously, none of us know both sides of the story, but that explains why he looked so gaunt.  They said he lost a bit of weight at that time.  Maybe all of these things were the catalyst he needed in order to make this decision.  He may not have gone out on a high note, but I still respect him for what he did for the Bucs.  

I don't believe at all she 'blindsided' him with it.  She talked for the last several years about wanting him to retire and I would be shocked if she didn't explicitly tell him choose your family or football.  When she actually filed and left may have been a shock but no way he wasn't aware this decision may break up his marriage. 

51 minutes ago, Carey said:

That's a fact, but at least most people will enjoy their lives doing other stuff in lieu of spending a quarter century of their lives trying (and failing to match TB12).

Compiler might not be the best term, but several people did point out/find it funny that Tom's stats in his last past half decade exceeded 1989 first overall pick and first ballot HOF Troy Aikman's totals over a 12-year career

Aikman is overrated.  I say that as a former Cowboys fan during his Era.  His stats are pedestrian even fir his Era. His HIGH in yearly tds was 23 and passing yards 3400. 

Emmitt smith scored more career rushing and receiving tds total than aikman did passing and running. 

• Like 8

I'm Team Tom re: Gisele. 

Tom didn't sell insurance when they met and then became football crazed. When she met him he was a famous QB and she knew he lived, breathed, and ate football. He didn't change. Why should he give up football if that's his passion?

There's no evidence he was neglectful or abusive the way many star athletes are. If she wanted her husband to be a stay at home dad, she simply chose the wrong guy/

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

She talked for the last several years about wanting him to retire and I would be shocked if she didn't explicitly tell him choose your family or football. 

I'm sure they were discussing their issues, but if he didn't expect her to actually file for divorce, then he was blindsided.  He's the one who shared that bit of info, so I'm going to take him at his word on it. 

11 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I'm sure they were discussing their issues, but if he didn't expect her to actually file for divorce, then he was blindsided.  He's the one who shared that bit of info, so I'm going to take him at his word on it. 

He didn't expect her to because she never told him she would or he didn't expect it because he typically gets his way on things and he didn't think she'd actually follow through on it?  

I expect it was the latter and if he was 'blindsided' by it then it's because of his own arrogance.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm Team Tom re: Gisele. 

Tom didn't sell insurance when they met and then became football crazed. When she met him he was a famous QB and she knew he lived, breathed, and ate football. He didn't change. Why should he give up football if that's his passion?

There's no evidence he was neglectful or abusive the way many star athletes are. If she wanted her husband to be a stay at home dad, she simply chose the wrong guy/

Yeah I've read that argument many times but that is a total and complete shitty way to treat a spouse if that was his attitude. 

Football isn't like other jobs.  You don't play forever.  It's a huge time commitment during the season.  It's dangerous.  A guy literally almost died on the field.  

He would guve it up because one everyone has to retire sometime. Two, he had already played a long time and really had nothing left to prove.  Three she has stated she put her career second for him to play from what I've read. Four he had a job paying hundreds of millions in broadcasting so he'd still be involved in the game if nit playing.  

If his attitude really was well I don't care what you think I'm not changing my life at all for you, even when asked to for legitimate reasons and with reasonable alternatives for jobs in football, then she was right to divorce him

• Like 12
  • Fire 3

As a human being I'd feel better for Tom if we found out that he's now found some other niche sport or activity that he can pour his attention into. Some smaller niche thing. Maybe his old friend Tedy Bruschi can introduce him to disc golf or he takes up competitive Scrabble or something.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Fukui San said:

Maybe his old friend Tedy Bruschi can introduce him to disc golf or he takes up competitive Scrabble or something.

Scrabble!  I can picture the intensity on his face while contemplating his next move!  

• LOL 2
22 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If his attitude really was well I don't care what you think I'm not changing my life at all for you,

I doubt that that was his attitude, but since none of us know the details, I wish them both well and hope they are happy.  The most important thing appears to be their unwavering dedication to their children.  Good for them for not using them as pawns against each other. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 4