Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Ahhh..Vikings...You gave us great football...great games..and still lost in the post season. Thankfully, it wasn't the slaughter that the game in Philly was five years ago...or that missed field goal in the '99 season.

I go into each season, not expecting much and am surprised when I can watch a game without covering my eyes. More games were watchable than not. I'll take that as a win.

MN wasn't a fraud team, Our defense was a fraud but it's been like that as long as I can remember. I will say it was nice to watch the game without the horrid Aikman/Buck combo.

The cool thing about this post season is that I do have other teams to root for and teams to root against.

We shall see how it all shakes out but at least we spared the Packers getting their asees kicked in SF and we were spared the same fate next week.

I can't hate on the Giants because they played well and played clean. Any other team I would have been sadder at the loss but I have a soft spot for the Giants ever since they spoiled the Patriots perfect season...at the Super Bowl.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Giants have real shot imo to be a dark horse.

I still recall in 2007 they beat I think Tampa on the road in the 1st round and I just thought yeah that's cool for them.  They had a nice season and they get a 2nd round playoff game against Dallas which will ya know be exciting but I doubt they'll win.

Very reminiscent of them playing the Eagles next week.  Their history alone grants them respect from me for next weeks game 

41 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

If Brian Daboll isn't on the short list for Coach of the Year, there's no justice in the world.

There were many Bills fans that arrogantly thought Josh Allen made him what he was before the season started 

John Harbaugh did *not* like the question the sideline reporter asked him, he was so salty.  Of course, in-game interviews are stupid and should be abolished forever so I can’t necessarily blame him.  Why WOULD he answer a question about his game strategy?

• Like 8
Just now, mojoween said:

Of course, in-game interviews are stupid and should be abolished forever so I can’t necessarily blame him.

They started doing that crap during NHL games and some imbecile thought it would be a good idea to bother NFL coaches in the middle of the game. 

6 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I still recall in 2007 they beat I think Tampa on the road in the 1st round and I just thought yeah that's cool for them.  They had a nice season and they get a 2nd round playoff game against Dallas which will ya know be exciting but I doubt they'll win.

That playoff season was lovely.  Beating Tony Romo and then Brett Favre and then Tom Brady.  What more could a loyal Giants fan want?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, meowmommy said:
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Of course, in-game interviews are stupid and should be abolished forever so I can’t necessarily blame him.

They started doing that crap during NHL games and some imbecile thought it would be a good idea to bother NFL coaches in the middle of the game. 

I guess whoever made that decision doesn't know who Gregg Popovich is

• LOL 2

Vikings lose!  Happiness throughout the Calvada household!  My sister just texted me "very predictable and oh so satisfying."  Schadenfreude is the word of the day.  TJ Lang (former Packer & Lion; now Lions radio sideline reporter) tweeted "Vikings are who we thought they were."  Never a truer statement.  I listened to Paul Allen on Vikes radio call the 4th down play.  He was so matter of fact, as if he knew they wouldn't make it.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Before the season many Bills fans online downplayed the importance of Daboll leaving.  Like yeah he's nothing without Josh kind of thing.  

13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

That playoff season was lovely.  Beating Tony Romo and then Brett Favre and then Tom Brady.  What more could a loyal Giants fan want?

To beat Randall Cunningham lol

Revenge today 25 years later for that playoff game 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have just leaned through this tweet that the Falcons apparently fired their coach. 

Not the head coach, but the defensive coordinator. According to the article the Falcons' current DC is retiring.  

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I've just enjoyed how close the games have been so far. No big blow outs and a few come from behind wins. It's been fun to watch (or fun for me since the teams I like have won).

100%.  After the nightmare that was the CFB Playoff Natty (despite the team I picked to win & the team I rooted for winning), this is refreshing.  Seahawks/Niners ended up as a blowout, but Seattle, who had nothing to play for, made it interesting into the second half before things changed

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Happiness throughout the Calvada household!

My people. I smoked a virtual cigar.

5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

IIRC, Mike Tirico made the move over from ESPN on the explicit promise that NBC was going to give him primary duty on SNF, and then they reneged on that until Al went over to Amazon.  Kinda like how Jay Leno said he was leaving and then pushed out Conan.

Right.  Except Al was pushed out and sent to Amazon eventually.  He didn't leave on his own.  He complained about it.  So they may have delayed Mike's ascendancy but they eventually committed and didn't backtrack.

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

He’s supposed to be bad in prime time- playoffs. That guy isn’t what I’m watching.  

Technically, it wasn't prime time so maybe that's it?

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Did anyone really believe in Minnesota or surprised by this? 

I live in Vikings territory and I'd say some fans kind of knew that the record was deceptive.  13-4 looks good but some of the analytics suggested the team got pretty lucky this year.  Even one of the stats they showed tonight was telling. The Vikings were  -87 in the first three quarters this season and +84 in the fourth quarter.  The reason they showed that stat was to highlight how good the Vikings are in the fourth quarter but what it also demonstrated is that they had a -3 point differential for the season which you'd normally not expect from a 13-4 team.

Other teams with a similar point differential tapped out at 8 or 9 wins.

On the other hand, there are definitely people who believed in them.  Even though part of me is petty and enjoys the fact that they're out.  Another part of me feels their pain.  I've rooted on teams hoping they'd be better than I thought they were.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

When they decided that Thursday was a good night to play NFL football, week in and week out, and then eliminated the bye after the European games, they threw all the "rest" considerations out the window. 

They didn't completely eliminate the bye after the European games.  Teams still have the option of having their bye scheduled after their international game.  Some did.  Some didn't.

Edited by Irlandesa
50 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I live in Vikings territory and I'd say some fans kind of knew that the record was deceptive. 

No one in Minnesota thought they'd win.  It's Minnesota. It's a known thing that they can't win anything. Ever. They usually come up with ways to lose that make things as heartbreaking and terrible as possible, so today was at least a nice break from that.

On the news last night they were interviewing people who'd come to town for the game and even they were less than positive on the winning. One guy said a win would be great, but I just think it'll be fun to watch a playoff game. That's like saying I'm just happy to be nominated.

The story of this weekend for me is how well backup QBs played. They only won one of the games but two others were kept much closer than anticipated.

The Sunday night game was terrific.  At least Huntley knew how far he had to throw the ball with the season on the line (looking at you Cousins). 

I really don't understand why we're having football on Monday.  Couldn't we have 3 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday? 

• Like 7
Just now, Irlandesa said:

I really don't understand why we're having football on Monday.  Couldn't we have 3 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday? 

The NFL makes the civilians adjust, and when they do, they move the goalposts.  They did originally have 3 on each day.  The first Saturday afternoon game in a couple decades was a nice blast from the past.  It was also not ideal in terms of ratings & interest.  Therefore, we still have 6 games, but Monday night

Tirico had more excitement on the final play call than Al Michaels had in the entire season combined.  That cannot be the product the NFL wants to go to the entire nation for a playoff game. 

• Like 1

Here are the Times for the Divisional Round

Saturday:

Jacksonville at Kansas City: 4:30 on NBC
New York at Philadelphia: 8:15 on FOX

Sunday:

Cincinnati at Buffalo 3:00 on CBS
MNF Winner* at San Francisco 6:30 on FOX

* MNF is actually the sixth WC game with Tampa Bay hosting Dallas

4 minutes ago, Carey said:

They did originally have 3 on each day.  The first Saturday afternoon game in a couple decades was a nice blast from the past.  It was also not ideal in terms of ratings & interest. 

When did they have 3 on each day?  The six game weekend is only 2 years old and they had a Monday game last year too.  

Prior to that, it was only 4 games per weekend for the first two weeks and 2 for the conference games.

If I was a Ravens fan, I would be pissed that Lamar didn’t travel with the team. Yeah you’re injured and likely sulking since you want out, but you should have been there for your teammates. 

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

When did they have 3 on each day?  The six game weekend is only 2 years old and they had a Monday game last year too.  

The 2020 season.  This the 3rd year they've had 14 teams in the postseason.  The playoff expansion occurred the season before the regular season moved to 18 weeks

• Thanks 1

Ugh. 8:15 Saturday, eh?’

I turn into a pumpkin at 10:00 P.M. typically, so that’s inconvenient. 

On the other hand, a Saturday night game in Philadelphia should mean a delightful environment in that stadium. Best case scenario for the Giants would be for a good first quarter and maybe a mistake or two from the Eagles. 

I read some comments on an Eagles site before the week 18 game, and a decent percentage of their fans were already turning on their team after a couple losses when their QB was out. They are very mean towards their own team. Heh. 

8 hours ago, twoods said:

If I was a Ravens fan, I would be pissed that Lamar didn’t travel with the team. Yeah you’re injured and likely sulking since you want out, but you should have been there for your teammates. 

Ehh, generally players who are injured and OUT for the game don't travel.   If its a home game they might be on the sidelines.   But away games its just one more person on the plane, a hotel room, and to keep track of. 

Only one away team won this weekend.   Let's see if Dallas can make it two.

• Like 2

I'm surprised Bills and Bengals game isn't primetime. I guess with all the drama and emotion surrounding it maybe it's for the best. But that is one of the cases where the pre-game dialog is already there. This is the rematch (match?) that would have been played in week 17. I'm sure this will be brought up a few times during the game...

2 minutes ago, blueray said:

I'm surprised Bills and Bengals game isn't primetime. I guess with all the drama and emotion surrounding it maybe it's for the best. But that is one of the cases where the pre-game dialog is already there. This is the rematch (match?) that would have been played in week 17. I'm sure this will be brought up a few times during the game...

I'm not surprised.  The game kicks off at 3:00.  The conference title game template carried over to the divisional round for Sunday's games not too long ago.  Even though it's not the late game, it's still in a decent spot.  Also, San Francisco vs either Brady or the Cowboys is getting the nod for a decent window.  In addition, the NFL likes the have the best team in each conference playing on Saturdays at least more often than not.  Finally, with the Niners, who played the first game in the postseason getting the MNF window, it's fair enough that they get the last game of the weekend to give the Bucs or Dallas a chance to recover

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I read some comments on an Eagles site before the week 18 game, and a decent percentage of their fans were already turning on their team after a couple losses when their QB was out. They are very mean towards their own team. Heh. 

They're just being your usual Philadelphia Eagles fan. I can tolerate them unlike the typical Cowboys fan. 

Speaking of Cowboys fans, the only bad thing about tonight's game other than rooting for Tom Brady is that it isn't in Dallas. I really wanted to see some sad & crying Cowboys fans tonight like their last Playoff game. Hopefully, we will see plenty of sadness from Jerry Jones tonight. His sadness always makes me very happy. 

3 hours ago, Magog said:

Hopefully, we will see plenty of sadness from Jerry Jones tonight. His sadness always makes me very happy. 

Don't jinx the Bucs!!  Our history with MNF isn't good! Here's hoping the Bucs make you and me happy tonight. 

3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Has there ever been a game where so many people want both teams to lose.

And sadly, being playoffs, not an option.

I'll choke on it but I'm Team Brady tonight.  It's a cold day in hell but not cold enough to want Dall-ass to win.

• Like 3