Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Mike Tirico is a good commentator and I understand why NBC was willing to make promises to him to keep him.   Al has made millions during his broadcasting career.  Besides, I can't help but think of what women broadcasters often face. Pam Oliver was moved from the first FOX broadcasting team to the second when she hit 50 and replaced by a 30-something Erin Andrews. 

IIRC, Mike Tirico made the move over from ESPN on the explicit promise that NBC was going to give him primary duty on SNF, and then they reneged on that until Al went over to Amazon.  Kinda like how Jay Leno said he was leaving and then pushed out Conan.

And yeah, what they did to Pam Oliver stunk.  Although I thought she said when they did it, it would be her last season, and here she is, still going strong.  One of the few sideline reporters I don't hit the mute button for. 

• Like 2

Despite 0-3, this has been a rather exciting postseason.  Hats off to Miami.  If it hadn't been for their recent slide, this would have been what I'd expect from division postseason football.  Basically what I expected from Seattle/San Francisco happened this afternoon.

Some Western Pennsylvanians are saying that the Steelers would've won had it been them, based on a surprising Bills performance.  No, you would have not won at Orchard Park

• Like 2

Running out of time, to turn 4th and 1 into 4th and 6, was probably the stupidest thing I'll see all day.

I don't care about either team, but a friend's husband is a die-hard Dolphins fan, so I was mildly rooting for them for his sake.  They made it a far more interesting game than I thought it was going to be, at least.

• Like 4

Well Vikings are up 7-0. They just tore down the field. Now Giants are tearing down the field. Jones is doing most of the running.

Now Giants just scored.

Can a quarterback get a facemask penalty? Jones put his hand on a Viking defender's face mask, right in front of the eyes, and held it there for a few seconds.

8 minutes ago, twoods said:

Deep breath, now time to get creamed by the Bengals next week.

No, no, no.  Speaking as a Bengals fan, I can say with confidence that no team can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory the way the Bengals can (see: last year's Super Bowl).  We could very well lose today to the Ravens even without Lamar.  I know, I know: these aren't the same Bengals, blah blah blah, and Joey Bear is my everything and all of that.  However, I have a lifetime's worth of trauma, and it's not going to be undone by a good year or two.

I will say, though, if anyone understands the trauma of a Bengals fan, it is a Bills fan.  Solidarity, my Bills brethren!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

All props to Miami, they made the Bills earn it. If they ever get their QB situation sorted, they should be a good foe for the Bills going forward.

I do hope that they get their QB situation sorted. 

It’s been so long since I’ve been optimistic about a Giants team in the playoffs that I forgot how much anxiety these games give me. LOL

• LOL 3

I think Miami should stick with Thompson.  Tua's injury history has been a thing for about a half decade.  He'll be in his 4th year in the league.  Plus, get another veteran for support.  Bridgewater is not the answer

Just now, Carey said:

Bridgewater is not the answer

I'm very happy that Teddy's carved out a career after that awful injury at Minn, but at this stage he's a professional backup. Tua might be done, you can't worry that any hit to your QB might end his career.

• Like 5

Wow that was a stressful game. The Bills definitely were playing terrible (story of our team) but I have to give credit to Thompson he played a good game. It was the Miami receivers that were dropping the ball. And while we did win, I believe Miami should be happy with how they played (when the sports people) was against them.

• Like 4

Ten-to-one the schedule for the Divisional Weekend will be disclosed at the conclusion of SNF.  Maybe before that.  The wait is related to what happens between Bengals/Ravens, though the bigger issue would've been over the result of Giants/Vikings.  Since 2009, the NFL loves to have the top seeds play on Saturday to further pimp their advantage.  However, I don't think  it'll be fair for Tampa Bay or Dallas to travel to Philadelphia for a Saturday game on 4 days rest.  So, I'm guessing that the Eagles game will be on Sunday unless New York wins at US Bank Stadium.  It could still be on Sunday, but if it's Saturday, then it's 5 days rest for the Giants, which is normal.  

For the AFC, it should not matter too much, but IMO, if Baltimore wins at Paycor, then Kansas City should be in the Saturday slot.  I don't think the league is having Buffalo, despite the home team, play off of a short week against Jacksonville, who'll have an extended period of rest.  Of course, if Cincinnati wins, they Chiefs still could be on Saturday (I'd bet on it).  They'd host the Jaguars off of a bye.  Normal rest for the top 4 seeds

31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't care about either team, but a friend's husband is a die-hard Dolphins fan, so I was mildly rooting for them for his sake.  They made it a far more interesting game than I thought it was going to be, at least.

The best thing about the playoffs when my team is not in is not giving a damn about the games.  Sometimes I root for former Wisconsin Badgers.  All I want are well-played competitive games.  Although I admit I would enjoy a bad loss for a team or player I dislike.  

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Calvada said:

The best thing about the playoffs when my team is not in is not giving a damn about the games.  Sometimes I root for former Wisconsin Badgers.  All I want are well-played competitive games.  Although I admit I would enjoy a bad loss for a team or player I dislike.  

This is me.  I just want to watch good games.  i will sometimes root against certain teams. Normally I would be rooting against Dallas because it's Dallas but I can't root for Tom Brady so I guess I'm not watching any of that game before I go to bed tomorrow night.

• Like 3

If I'm up I'll watch it.  Chances are I will watch MNF by default.  However, I'm off on Monday so I try to be productive, turn in at a decent time, and get my (short) week going.  The league was okay when the postseason was reserved for the weekend

37 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t watch the Giants much so am pretty surprised at how mobile Daniel Jones is. 

He ran for over 700 yards this year. 

Earlier this year they caught Saquon Barkley calling Jones Vanilla Vick on mic. Lol. 

• LOL 5

Did mention my anxiety?  

Kirk Cousins has been excellent  in this game. Great pocket awareness and great throws to great receivers.  He’s supposed to be bad in prime time- playoffs. That guy isn’t what I’m watching.  

Looks like Giants at Eagles on 01/21/2023.  Yet another divisional postseason game.  This one at Lincoln Financial Field.

Not official, but a Saturday NFC East game is more probable than not

Edited by Carey
Edited since not and now aren't the same thing
1 minute ago, cambridgeguy said:

Unfortunately for Minnesota fans, all of those victories in close games did NOT mean they're a team of destiny.

Figures their luck would run out eventually. 

• Like 1

Did anyone really believe in Minnesota or surprised by this?  

4th and short snd you false start. 

4th and 8 and you throw for 3 yards?  

Was Justin Jefferson hurt or something?  Not one target in the 4th quarter I saw for him. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh. My. Gods.  If the Giants lose this game, they should tell Darius Slayton not to even get on the bus, let alone go to the airport; he needs to walk his ass home.

The outcome of the game is irrelevant.  He has to Uber home and Think About What He Did.

Speaking of the outcome…@(#*@&*$)@*’a I have no words.  But I don’t have to change my flag yet wahoo.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Carey said:

Looks like Giants at Eagles on 01/21/2023.  Yet another divisional postseason game.  This one at Lincoln Financial Field.

Not official, but a Saturday NFC East game is more probable than now

I’m almost positive the league already decided that the teams playing on MNF would play on Sunday.  

So yeah, I would assume the other NFC game will be Saturday. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Nfc east and 49ers are left .....plus Tampa right now

Because it can't be said enough -- both ESPN and NFL.com placed the Giants at #28 in their preseason power rankings...and the Rams in the top three.  Heh heh.

As someone was wont to say, that's why they play the games.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Impressed with how clean both teams have been with no fumbles lost or interceptions.

The Giants have been like that most of the year. It’s a big reason they had success this season.

Saquon is extraordinarily sound with the ball. The coaches schemed up a passing game that lets Jones not force the ball. It’s been a nice change for us Giants fans after being atrocious for five straight years. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I’m almost positive the league already decided that the teams playing on MNF would play on Sunday.  

So yeah, I would assume the other NFC game will be Saturday. 

I believe last year when the NFL decided to have weekday playoff games (specifically Monday Night) that the MNF teams wouldn't play a game off of just 4 days rest, even if it meant a 1 seed playing on Sunday.  Recently the league preferred the top seeds to play on Saturday so that they would get an extra day's rest over whoever their opponent would be.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went off of that in future at someone's expense.  Of course, what's stopping TPTB from having both NFC games on Saturday and both on Sunday.  Outside of the TV stuff, of course

Of course, what's stopping TPTB from having both NFC games on Saturday and both on Sunday.  Outside of the TV stuff, of course

When they decided that Thursday was a good night to play NFL football, week in and week out, and then eliminated the bye after the European games, they threw all the "rest" considerations out the window.  I admit to being old enough to remember when the idea of Monday Night Football was considered outrageous because the teams would lose a day of rest.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

Giants have a good shot to beat the Eagles, it just depends on how injured Hurts is.

It also depends on Lane Johnson.  I agree that New York has a shot, but if they do pull off the upset, I'll just advance San Francisco to State Farm Stadium for a football game to be played on February 12, 2023

• Useful 1
Just now, Carey said:

Outside of the TV stuff, of course

That’s entirely the reason.  The FOX broadcast just said they have both NFC games next week.  So I think that tells us the NFC games will be Eagles Giants on Saturday and Niners on Sunday 

• Like 1

Oh well. Vikings had a good season.

I didn't think Vikings were a team of destiny this year. It would have been great, but with the close wins and blowout losses I just didn't we would get too far post season. We were never dominant except in the first game of the season and I suppose the comeback against the Colts in the second half. The Giants really showed up the weakness of our defense.

But I think this loss is the only one this season that was close.

• Hugs 2

It also depends on Lane Johnson.  I agree that New York has a shot, but if they do pull off the upset, I'll just advance San Francisco to State Farm Stadium for a football game to be played on February 12, 2023

Like I said earlier, the Niners are a BAD matchup for the Giants. 

However, the Giants are historically excellent in NFC championship games. So in the unlikely event that game happens, I’ll pretend history means something until it doesn’t. 

• Like 1

I don't really care who wins NFC now that the Vikings are out, but I want Buffalo to win the AFC and the Super Bowl. If not them, then Bengals or Jaguars. (Jaguars are a long shot and NFC would probably win.)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Like I said earlier, the Niners are a BAD matchup for the Giants. 

However, the Giants are historically excellent in NFC championship games. So in the unlikely event that game happens, I’ll pretend history means something until it doesn’t. 

Unless I'm mistaken, the Giants are undefeated in conference championship games.  Based on the NFL structure over the past century, I might not necessarily bet that as an all-time stat, but I think definitely in the Super Bowl Era or since the merger.  Ditto for Cincinnati in the AFC.

I agree I can't see the Giants winning against the Niners, but if history can repeat itself...well, never say never.  I didn't think the Giants would beat teams like New England the way they did.  Of course, those were better teams.  I guess we may have to find out or not; San Francisco is still playing with a rookie, and their SOV isn't elite.  At least most of their opponents during their winning streak don't impress me that much.

I was very positive and certain that the Giants would win today.  I went with them outright because they've trended upward & faced a team with a negative point differential that lacks defense.  The Vikings did very good this year, but Cousins doesn't impress me in big games