Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, twoods said:

In this case, they did. He got two signed Brady jerseys, one Evans jersey and his game cleats, season tickets for this season AND next season, and the 1000 gift card. Pretty decent compensation, especially the season tickets.

And a great story to tell.

31 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

But wait there's more:

Tom Brady gave him a bitcoin.  

Of course the legal part of me went:   Wait does this guy have to pay taxes now on all these goodies?   Which would be one reason to give the ball back and NOT sell it to the highest bidder.

Of course, by giving the ball back without asking for anything the guy is being interviewed all over the place.   Much better than if he had kept it.   Of course he said one thing he would like is to play golf with Brady.    So far all he has gotten is stuff, not what he wanted.

As for the game last night?   There was one?   Yeah pretty much.   Jamesis Winston v. Geno Smith was about what you would expect.   When they tied it up late in the 3rd I begged the football gods to not let this be a nail biter and please let it be over with.

He definitely has to pay taxes on it. Which all depends on the value you place on the jerseys, where the season tickets are located and their value and his tax bracket.  I'm guessing it will be around $3k in taxes though if you value that package around $10k.   But could be more. 

As far as him giving the ball back, it's different in football and baseball where random fly balls and home runs are caught. In baseball if I'm the fan, sorry I'm keeping it no matter how much the team wants it. But football it is different, there is not the precedent like in baseball where it's understood that those balls are to whoever catches them.  Football sure you give it back and seems like a reasonable deal was made.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

I guess I don't care for a lot of memorabilia cluttering my house, so the season tickets and maybe some apparel would have done it for me.  Brady can have the ball -it means more to him and he probably has an entire room dedicated to game clutter.  I mean memorabilia.

29 minutes ago, Johann said:

I guess I don't care for a lot of memorabilia cluttering my house, so the season tickets and maybe some apparel would have done it for me.  Brady can have the ball -it means more to him and he probably has an entire room dedicated to game clutter.  I mean memorabilia.

I don't think in this case it's about the ball being memorabilia for the fan.  He could get huge money for that ball by selling it.  Some said up to $500k. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He could get huge money for that ball by selling it.  Some said up to $500k. 

It may be worth that, but could he have actually gotten that amount?  Again, I think he did the right thing by giving it back.  He might've come off badly if he had held the ball as ransom.  I think he was a good example of being a decent person about it.  I wouldn't want to be that person who wouldn't give the ball back because then he risks the fans turning on him and making his life hell!!  He got 2 signed jerseys, so he could always sell one and probably make a decent amount.

The announcers said that the football will probably go into the Hall of Fame when Brady is inducted.  FWIW, I think that the guy was half joking about playing a round of golf with Tom.  It would be great if it happened, but I thought it was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment.  

One thing that I enjoyed from that game was how snarky Tony Romo was in his comments!  I think he was bored with the game, so he kept saying stuff (think of thought bubbles over the player's heads) and it was pretty funny.  Maybe he's always like that.  I don't usually watch games that he's announcing, so I found his deadpan humor pretty funny.  

• Love 2

I don't think there is a right or wrong valuation on the Brady football. It's what a seller and potential seller can agree on.

A Cincinnati Red hit the first home run at Pittsburgh's PNC Park. A fan caught it. The Reds' player wanted it so the team sent a representative out to negotiate. The Pirates did the same thing because it was history for the park. The guy wanted $20,000 and both teams said "No deal." so the ball is presumably sitting in some guy's basement. 

He's got a great story, but I'm sure his friends got tired of it after a couple of years.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

I don't think there is a right or wrong valuation on the Brady football. It's what a seller and potential seller can agree on.

A Cincinnati Red hit the first home run at Pittsburgh's PNC Park. A fan caught it. The Reds' player wanted it so the team sent a representative out to negotiate. The Pirates did the same thing because it was history for the park. The guy wanted $20,000 and both teams said "No deal." so the ball is presumably sitting in some guy's basement. 

He's got a great story, but I'm sure his friends got tired of it after a couple of years.

Well that's just stupidity not taking $20k for the ball or else he is just a big fan and really wanted it no matter the price, who knows.  

But the Brady ball would have been worth much more and he could have easily sold it to someone.  This article actually says MINIMUM of $500k.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-fan-who-refused-to-cash-in-on-tom-bradys-600th-td-pass-should-be-commended-not-criticized-185436588.html

I guess what bugs me is yes, the guy did the right thing, he was just given the ball, didn't do anything to earn it. 

But why is it that lifelong fans are expected to sacrifice like this for the 'good of the game' and doing the 'right thing's instead of taking the money?  The NFL itself NEVER does such a thing. They squeeze every possible dollar out of every fan, player and worker with no regard about what is best for the game. Why are the fans expected to do this while the league does just the opposite?   

• Love 5

This article sums up how I feel about the fan giving the ball back:

https://news.yahoo.com/the-fan-who-refused-to-cash-in-on-tom-bradys-600th-td-pass-should-be-commended-not-criticized-185436588.html

"But Kennedy sees it differently, and good for him. This wasn’t about money, this was about an experience. This wasn’t about squeezing every last dime out of something, it was appreciating how much he was unexpectedly given.

“Tom is the one who earned the ball,” Kennedy said. “I just happened to be here and got lucky.”

It’s a big distinction. He didn’t catch the ball. He didn’t fight for the ball. He was mistakenly given the ball. And it was a ball. A ball used to score a touchdown by his favorite team. Not a bag of cash, even if he didn’t realize how big a bag of cash it could fetch.

“I knew it would be valuable, but not half a million dollars,” Kennedy said. “Either way, I would have kept the ball. I wasn’t going to sell it … it would have sat in my office.”

That's just part of the article.  Of course anybody else in that situation could do whatever they wanted to do, but in this instance, I applaud the guy for how he handled it.  YMMV.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

Do you think there is an over/under prop bet on how many times the three networks show costumed fans in the stands on Sunday?

Pity the Raiders are on the bye. Their fans usually throw down on Halloween. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I only root against the Packers when they play the Giants.  I would love for the Cardinals to go 8-0.  Hmmmm.

Call it an emotional hedge!

In probably the best Thursday Night Football game this season, two big time names will be missing in action in JJ Watt and Davante Adams.  The latter was no surprise due to his Covid status coupled with a short week.  I don't know if Adams was able to test negative twice, but with the lack of practice, it really would not have mattered at all.  Apparently, since 2019, Aaron Rodgers is undefeated (with a minimum of 5 starts) when Adams is not in the lineup.

The bigger surprise is JJ Watt's status.  I didn't catch that; he got injured on Sunday but played through it.  Now, he could be done for the year.  BTW, Watt got paid last summer.  Still, I like Arizona FTW.  A close game that I think the Packers will cover, but I had the Cards winning even before the news of the inactives

On 10/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, Bastet said:

I'd have deflated it. 

And then taken it home with me to sell to the highest bidder who wasn't Tom Brady.  Brady would not be getting that ball back.

As I told my husband earlier this week, that ball would have been on eBay before I left the stadium.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

As I told my husband earlier this week, that ball would have been on eBay before I left the stadium.

same-page-on-the-same-page.gif

I would have been happier being a half-millionaire (before taxes) than anything the Buccaneers had to offer.

• Love 4

I was going to say I don't think either team has a first down so far. And despite the touchdown, the receiver grabbed the defender's face mask and so it is an Arizona first down after all.

Time to score Arizona!

I don't understand this rule. GB punted the ball. The receiver touched the ball as it dropped through his hands. The ball bounced around and a Packer recovered the ball. It then became the Packers' ball on the Cardinals' 2-yard line. I thought it would stay the Cardinals' ball but play would start where GB recovered the ball.

Anyhow the Cardinals kept GB from scoring a touchdown.

I should have sympathy, but I kinda don't.  The players had a chance to do something about it last year before they added 2 teams to the postseason & added a 17th game.  Chances are that they will get to 18 before the start of the 2026 season.  The fair thing would be to have 2 bye weeks, with one of them preceding a TNF game

• Love 2

Typical douchebag Rodgers begging for a horse collar as he’s being pulled down when it wasn’t. Too bad the Cardinals couldn’t pull out the win to wipe that stupid smirk off of his face. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, twoods said:

Typical douchebag Rodgers begging for a horse collar as he’s being pulled down when it wasn’t. Too bad the Cardinals couldn’t pull out the win to wipe that stupid smirk off of his face. 

I know, that was so stupid when the defender was pulling at the bottom of Rodgers' shirt.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, twoods said:

Typical douchebag Rodgers begging for a horse collar as he’s being pulled down when it wasn’t.

Eh.  I don't love Rodgers but I thought that was funny.  Players beg for calls.  I think it was a combo of the first point of contact and that it might have felt like a horse collar.

Good no call, though.

I am a skeptical Packers fan but I had this weird feeling they'd win last night even though they didn't have any of their top three wide receivers or their top two cornerbacks.  It forced Rodgers to rely on the run instead of pivot to Davante magic. 

• Love 1

I used to like Rodgers.  Great player. 

This past year though has changed my mind.  What a douche. Hate him in that commercial with his manbun.  His off-season hold out attempt He sucked as host on Jeopardy.  Don't like him much anymore. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 6
On 10/30/2021 at 12:53 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I used to like Rodgers.  Great player. 

This past year though has changed my mind.  What a douche. Hate him in that commercial with his manbun.  His off-season hold out attempt He sucked as host on Jeopardy.  Don't like him much anymore. 

I agree.  Maybe I didn't pay attention to the drama around him before - I knew that he didn't get along with his family and he dated and dropped celebrity girlfriends, but I guess this past year, he's been especially douchery.  (new word?)  And the man-bun has to go.  Some show had a segment of his different hairstyles/beards, and this is by far the worst.

• Love 1

Lane Johnson missed three games earlier in the season due to anxiety and depression.  He left the Eagles and went make home to Oklahoma went to wasn't manageable. He's back and sat with Jay Glazer to talk about it.

It's good to see more and more athletes talk about their mental health and how important managing it is.

• Love 6

Catching up on the 1:00 scores, because sometimes I just cannot get a moment’s peace around here, and I love this damn league so much.

Last week, the Bengals were the very best in the league.  This week, they are victims of … the Jets.

Unpredictability is so grand.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I mean, the Saints should positively be wearing all black on Halloween of all the days.

Probably because they know that the Bucs like to wear their white jerseys.  This game is going all kinds of sideways for the Bucs.  Come on guys!  Pull it together! 

The Rams victory ends, and Bucs vs. Saints starts as my afternoon game.  Thought process:

-The NFC South doesn't matter me to me until playoff time
-I've long kind-of liked the Saints as not one of my teams but as an NFC team I'll root for when there's no meaningful implication for my teams
-But the Saints now have a rapist under center
-So I'll root for the other team ... oh, wait, it's the Bucs
-Nope, don't have it in me to root for Tom Brady, so I'll just switch to CBS even though I'm not much of an AFC fan
-What, Patriots vs. Chargers?!

Thanks a lot, NFL; now I have to go get some yard work done before the evening game ... [checks program guide] which is Cowboys vs. Vikings?!  Come on!

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 4

I guess only the Chargers are allowed to hold. Patriots always seem to get the benefit of the calls, even without Brady.

Figures the Bucs would come back. Shouldn’t have checked the score.

Good news, Cowboys loathers...Dak has been ruled out for tonight's game. 

7 minutes ago, twoods said:

I guess only the Chargers are allowed to hold. Patriots always seem to get the benefit of the calls, even without Brady.

Figures the Bucs would come back. Shouldn’t have checked the score.

I'm pulling for the Pats today. I feel dirty. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1