Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If you choose not to get vaccinated don't bitch about it when people boo you for it.

His body, his choice, right?  That's the mantra we always hear.  ;)  

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Looks bad?  Sure. Nothing to do with anyone but he and his wife though. Why does the team care?  You think half these players arent doing the same, married or not?   I dont get it.  

Maybe this isn't new behavior with him.  He quit coaching years ago due to his heart issues, then he shows up coaching again.  I thought he needed to get away from the stress.  Maybe there was more to the story than we knew.  Either way, he's a grown man and should act like one.  Way to embarrass your family, dolt. 

• Love 5
On 10/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, mojoween said:

Did Urban Meyer do something other than get grinded on by some chick who is not his wife?  I’m confused over the hullabaloo over that video.  I mean, a statement from the team owner?  For some twerking?

On 10/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, crimsongrl said:

From what Twitter tells me after the Jags lost last week Urban didnt fly home with the team but stayed in Ohio to "spend time with his grand kids." Apparently not flying back isnt something thats done and to be filmed with the woman is a bad look. 

If the team was 2-2 I think the media lets it go.

Yeah.  The issue isn't that he cheats on his wife.  The issue is that he has been out there preaching to his team to not to do anything that makes them look bad and he's doing just that in Week 4.  The issue is that they're 0 and 4.  The issue is that after a heartbreaking loss in a winnable game, he doesn't fly back with his team and it looks like he lied about the why.  Not flying back with the team is apparently quite rare.

Then he canceled his Monday meetings because of the scandal.  I've also heard that he tried to lie about what he was actually doing which none of his players believed at all.

The problem is he's a coach who is coaching men with careers and not boys whose careers he holds in his hands.  They've already had to protest to get rid of one of Urban's hires who had a history of racism.

But as a coach, you can dance with someone who is not your wife. You can lose games.  You can skip coming home on the plane.  But what you can't do is lose the locker room.  Once that happens, a coach's career will end fast.

• Love 14
On 10/5/2021 at 9:41 PM, ChitChat said:

His body, his choice, right?  That's the mantra we always hear.  ;)  

Maybe this isn't new behavior with him.  He quit coaching years ago due to his heart issues, then he shows up coaching again.  I thought he needed to get away from the stress.  Maybe there was more to the story than we knew.  Either way, he's a grown man and should act like one.  Way to embarrass your family, dolt. 

Urban has brain cysts, not heart issues.

I said from the beginning that he shouldn’t go back to coaching in any capacity, let alone the NFL, but I can see where passing up an opportunity to coach Trevor Lawrence would be hard to pass up.  And I’m a Buckeye.  Personally I hope he quits on his own.

Something that Big Ben needs to do, as well.

10 hours ago, roamyn said:

Urban has brain cysts, not heart issues.

Thanks for the correction!  I remember when he was first taken to the hospital and there was a lot of speculation as to the nature of his problem - one of them being a heart attack.  I think that he hid the severity of the real issue out of respect for his family.  I'm still shocked that he stayed in such a stressful profession.

Watching the Seattle/ LA Rams game. Cheering for Seattle to win as I cheer for the team whose victory will benefit Vikings the most. I'm glad we already played Arizona already. Now they can run amuck in the NFC North and destroy the other teams. This game reminds me of the Cleveland/Vikings game last Sunday which was low scoring (14-7) and super defensive. defensive. The score right now is 7-3, Seattle ahead.

Here's something weird. Seattle's punt was blocked, so the punter ran after the ball, picked it up and kicked it again for 68 yards. The second kick didn't count. There wasn't a penalty because the refs thought he wasn't beyond the line of scrimmage, but actually he was.

There's a replacement in for Russell Wilson, Geno Smith. He's doing pretty well. Seattle just got its second touchdown. Wilson has a dislocated middle finger, the top part is bent really weird and they can't straighten it out. Matthew Stafford hurt his index finger but he's still able to play. I guess this is the game of The Finger and the Double Kick.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm still not 100% adjusted to being a Rams fan, and when they play Seattle I can be conflicted at times during the game - but, man, those neon Seahawks uniforms help me re-focus.  Ouch.

I'm glad the Rams got it done in the end.

It's not his fault, but I'll always associate Geno Smith with Ben Fucking McAdoo benching Eli.

Next week, Rams at Giants.  No conflict there, I root for the G-Men, and I'll finally get one of their games this season.  But I fully expect to spend a lot more time cursing than cheering.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Even if it didn't count that was a pretty amazing play by the punter. 

Ive seen punters see a rush coming and move to avoid it even scramble a bit and then kick it.  I've never seen one though actually blocked, pick it up and kick it again though. 

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Even if it didn't count that was a pretty amazing play by the punter. 

I thought it did count.  IIRC, no penalties were called and the change of possession was normal.  But it was mildly amusing to have Mike Pereira, alleged rules expert, scrambling to read the rule book trying to keep up with the changes to the rules.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's not his fault, but I'll always associate Geno Smith with Ben Fucking McAdoo benching Eli.

That's what popped into my head, too.  Only in a parallel universe where Geno Smith is a future HoFer did that ever make sense.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I thought it did count.  IIRC, no penalties were called and the change of possession was normal.  But it was mildly amusing to have Mike Pereira, alleged rules expert, scrambling to read the rule book trying to keep up with the changes to the rules.

That's what popped into my head, too.  Only in a parallel universe where Geno Smith is a future HoFer did that ever make sense.

Im not sure it counted or not.  I just the replay of it and read an article seemed like a question of whether he was still behind the line of scrimmage when he kicked it.  

I didn't watch the game. 

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

If a punt is blocked does it become a live ball?  I can understand not allowing it to be repunted but could the punter (or another on his team) theoretically run with it?

Yes it's live.  Just like a fumble from what I understand.  

Urban Meyer's about to send Jon Gruden a fruit basket...

Gruden said he spoke with the Raiders' players Friday morning to give them a heads-up that the Journal's report would be coming out.

"I'm transparent with my players," Gruden told ESPN.

He also said, "That might not have been the best time of my life," referring to when the email was sent during the 2011 lockout. "I vented a lot. ... I never felt we were getting the truth and honesty [in negotiations]. I just felt that [former NFLPA executive director] Gene Upshaw never would have let it get that far."

The email came to light during the NFL's investigation of workplace misconduct with the Washington Football Team, as "the league was informed of the existence of emails that raised issues beyond the scope of that investigation," according to McCarthy. Senior league executives reviewed the content of more than 650,000 emails, including the one the Journal reported was written by Gruden to Bruce Allen, then the president of the Washington Football Team. The NFL then sent pertinent emails to the Raiders for review.

I like Smith's response:

"This is not the first racist comment that I've heard and it probably will not be the last," Smith told the Journal. "This is a thick-skin job for someone with dark skin, just like it always has been for many people who look like me and work in corporate America. You know people are sometimes saying things behind your back that are racist just like you see people talk and write about you using thinly coded and racist language.

"Racism like this comes from the fact that I'm at the same table as they are and they don't think someone who looks like me belongs," Smith said. "I'm sorry my family has to see something like this but I would rather they know. I will not let it define me."

• Love 7

What gruden said and wrote was blatantly racist.  No idea why you would ever write such a thing in an email or say, post such a thing. 

But he wasn't part of the league at the time as far as a recall.  We tend to think if him as an NFL fixture because of coaching but for almost 10 years he was a commentator not employed by the league.  Unless he was in NFL network?

Is the NFL going to go back and start punishing everyone for racist, sexist texts, social media, email from before they were in the league?  If so, well good luck with that. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, twoods said:

The difference seems to be that Gruden went directly before his team before this broke out, and Meyer looks like a hypocrite.

THIS.   The J-ville players don't care Meyer was out grinding at his restaurant.   They care he didn't fly home with them, lied about why, and then refused to face them.   

HOWEVER, Jon Gruden was really really really wrong with that email.   There is no excuse for it.   Period.   His apology "I don't have a racist bone in my body" does not wash.   Not if you feel comfortable writing something like that.   Doesn't matter where you are in your life, if you wrote those words you were thinking them.   Depression, alcoholism etc doesn't suddenly make you say racist things if you aren't already thinking them.   

This also came out on the anniversary of Al Davis' death.   Al Davis who didn't see color or gender, he saw a person.   If they were good at their jobs, fine.   If they weren't, he fired them.   I'm thinking Jon Gruden leaving the Raiders the first time was for more reasons than stated.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, twoods said:

The difference seems to be that Gruden went directly before his team before this broke out, and Meyer looks like a hypocrite.

I think the main difference, at least in the way these two things are being covered, is that Gruden is a long-time insider of both the NFL and the media that covers the NFL, while Meyer is a college coach without the same levels of inbuilt ass-covering.

Time for 15-16 hours of real, NFL professional football! I'm going with The Jets for the win over Atlanta.  I'll post the rest of my stuff later.

Meh on Urban Meyer.  I pretty much share the same opinions as everyone here.  For me, what Gruden did a decade ago was just that.  And while he's more of a winner, the heat should be higher since it was much worse, period

We are driving to the Catskills but you know, NFL’s bitch and all that, so I turned the game on my phone.

What the hell is Atlanta wearing?  Those unis are TERRIBLE.  They look like something a DIII team would have sent to the reject pile.

8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

We are driving to the Catskills but you know, NFL’s bitch and all that, so I turned the game on my phone.

What the hell is Atlanta wearing?  Those unis are TERRIBLE.  They look like something a DIII team would have sent to the reject pile.

At least that DIII team wouldn't have choke away a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl. Those uniforms are awful & so are the Falcons. Frankly, I can't root for either the Jets or the Falcons in today's game. 

As for this moment, those worthless Falcons are beating up the Jets 17-0. They can't possibly find a way to throw this game away.

Maybe the Giants have something in them today & put the Cowboys in their place?

22 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I think the main difference, at least in the way these two things are being covered, is that Gruden is a long-time insider of both the NFL and the media that covers the NFL, while Meyer is a college coach without the same levels of inbuilt ass-covering.

On the other hand, top college coaches rule in their fiefdoms, get paid more then the college presidents,  and many times they are untouchable and unaccountable for a lot  of their actions.  

What Meyer  did would not be that much of a blip in college because he wouldn’t even feel accountable to his players.  Palming everything off to his assistant coaches initially to try to clean things up sounds just about right , the difference is Meyer dealing with grown ass adult professional athletes and a national media that doesn’t fawn over his every move.

• Love 1

Well, here come the Jets.  I'd compare it to the Longhorns blowing it, but Atlanta has a habit of blowing it.  Texas doesn't; usually if they lose, they were losing the entire time.

The rest of my Week 5 picks include the Texans, Panthers, Vikings, Saints, Titans, Bucs, Bengals, Broncos, Bears, Browns, Cowboys, Cardinals, Bills, and the Ravens all winning.  I'm torn between Buffalo and Kansas City.  Similar to Houston and New England, it seems as if one team has the other's number.  Yet I usually don't flip, and I regret it.  So, with my luck, the Chiefs will continue to own the Bills, and the Patriots will finally top the Texans.

Green Bay is on fire, but for some reason, Cincinnati seems to own the Packers.  Aaron just recently beat his 31st team after surviving against them.  I guess it's all about matchups, but Burrow and company are playing great football.  They might be a year or two ahead of schedule

Regarding the double punt, the change of possession took place in the area where the block was. Where the ball landed after the 68 yard punt was not where the teams resumed play.

I hope Giants beat the Cowboys. I want their spirits crushed before they play the Vikings. Also I hope Kyle Rudolph plays well today.

Detroit is playing better than I thought they would.  Jefferson made good catches in the first drive. Our defense isn't doing too well against Detroit.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:13 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Im not sure it counted or not.  I just the replay of it and read an article seemed like a question of whether he was still behind the line of scrimmage when he kicked it.  

I didn't watch the game. 

Yes it's live.  Just like a fumble from what I understand.  

Yes, when the punter first picked up the ball I thought he was going to run with it or throw it to someone else. It's like he suddenly thought he was a soccer goalie and kicked the ball away.

After I typed that the Vikings defense wasn't doing too well, they sacked the quarterback and recovered a fumble in consecutive plays.

40 minutes ago, Johann said:

I liked the Falcon's uniforms.  Red fading into black.  

Beats the hell out of the neon green Seahawks uniform.

Gotta disagree with the Seahawks thing.  That's mainly due to the fact that green is my favorite color.  It stands out quite well.  Maybe too much, but it just seems the opposite of boring.  ITA with the Falcons uniforms.  Those are actually pretty neat.  We may be in the minority, but I actually admire those colors for Atlanta

46 minutes ago, Johann said:

I liked the Falcon's uniforms.  Red fading into black.  

Beats the hell out of the neon green Seahawks uniform.

I LOVE the highlighter color rush unis.  Were I a Seahawks fan, I would absolutely wear a Wilson green #3.

Watching the game on Fox and I don't like the camera usage on field goals. The camera shot is from behind and above the kicker, so as you watch the kick the football seems to disappear into the fans as it goes through the posts. Actually the football disappears before it reaches the posts so you can't tell where the football goes by watching, you have to wait for the announcer to say what happened.

I like it better when you have the view from the camera behind the goal posts and can see the ball go through. But the best is the closeup in front of the goal posts where you can see a DOINK! 

Since I don't get up until most of the first half of the morning games are over*, I will never see a London game, so I'm glad they keep picking match-ups I don't care about.

I thought the Rams game next week would be the first time I got to see the Giants this season, but we get the Giants-Cowboys game this afternoon.  I better have an extra Bloody Mary this morning.

*Back when the Giants were good and we got more of their games, it irritated me how many 10:00 games they played.  Now they suck and we hardly get any of their games here in L.A.  <sigh>  I'd rather be complaining about missing half of a good game than being relieved I didn't have to sit through them playing like ass.

It was a nail-biter at the end but Vikings pull it off. But beating Detroit shouldn't have been this difficult. Sure, Dalvin Cook was out, but then just throw more. There's people who can catch the ball.

Now to see Green Bay vs Cincinnati in overtime. GO BENGALS!!!

Crap, Packers intercepted the ball. They are on the 20 yard line so all they have to do is kick a field goal. But they don't???? They could have, couldn't they, instead of waiting until 4th down?

Edited by Lamb18

Five missed FG in eight minutes?  This Packers-Bengals game is very strange; it's like someone on both teams has money on not letting the game end.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Nobody wants to win the GB/Cincy game.

Rodgers is thinking too much about his Rodgers rate.

11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Five missed FG in eight minutes?  This Packers-Bengals game is very strange; it's like someone on both teams has money on not letting the game end.

No, the entire game. 

ETA: @Bastet, you are correct, I just saw a graphic showing 5 missed field goals since 2:12 in the 4th quarter. Fingers crossed, there is a 6th.

Edited by Lamb18

Not a Saquon Barkley fan, but man, that totally sucks for the guy (injured and carted off again).

Oh yeah:  Chargers/Browns is full of excitement (not something I'm saying a decade ago)

• Love 1