Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Girl Meets I Am Farkle

Oh my god, its it necessary for every single person who has any quirks to be on the friggen spectrum? Can't people just be weird any more? I knew plenty of kids who were had quirks or were "odd ducks" when I was in school, but I graduated with 800 kids in 1995 and there were probably like 10 kids who would be on the spectrum. Now? it would be like 100. Being a kid these days must really and truly suck. Any little quirk or oddity and the world is trying to classify them as having a diagnosable issue. Farkle marches to the beat of his own drummer, as did his father. Why wouldn't a child raised by Minkus do things slightly different? It's called upbringing, not autism. 

• Love 10

Oh my god, its it necessary for every single person who has any quirks to be on the friggen spectrum? Can't people just be weird any more? I knew plenty of kids who were had quirks or were "odd ducks" when I was in school, but I graduated with 800 kids in 1995 and there were probably like 10 kids who would be on the spectrum. Now? it would be like 100. Being a kid these days must really and truly suck. Any little quirk or oddity and the world is trying to classify them as having a diagnosable issue. Farkle marches to the beat of his own drummer, as did his father. Why wouldn't a child raised by Minkus do things slightly different? It's called upbringing, not autism. 

I agree. I'm a little disappointed that they went the easy route and made "the weird kid" the one with some kind of disorder instead of either Lucas or even Zay. God forbid the "popular/cute" guy is the one who has the disorder, you know?

Edited by MoonWalker
  • Love 5

Well Lucas has anger issues so that should be interesting in future episodes.

Farkle has NO traits of autism in any aspect or respect.. My parents thought I had autism because I never spoke much up to 8 years old.. turns out I just didn't have much to say and I passed all the tests proving I SOOOO didn't have it.

If your gonna lable the kid that does his own thing and maybe doesn't speak much as having autism then the writers need to go back to school and seek professional help !

Way too easy to lable someone nowdays. More after I've seen the ep.

Riley, Maya and Lucas emphasize the beauty of being unique as they rally around their friend Farkle Minkus, who may be on the autism spectrum. Meanwhile, his friendship with another student, Smackle, grows fonder.

...Is that the official Disney episode desription? Because that sentence is worded very awkwardly and sounds borderline offensive. I realize there are very high-functioning people on the autism spectrum (and in real life, someone like Farkle could conceivably fall into that spectrum,) but I feel like this could easily turn into a "Farkle is 'weird' because he has autism!" morality play, and I hope the show doesn't go that route. As a network, Disney is really good about diversity and being respectful to people who have disabilities, though, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I haven't had much experience around autistic kids, but Farkle has NEVER struck me as anything but off-beat.

Are they going to retcon Minkus into being somewhere in the autism spectrum? Or retcon diagnose Shawn as a borderline manic depressive? And what they could do with both Cory and Topanga with this generation's trigger happiness with needing to label every single little quirk.

I really hope this is a bait and switch summary.

Honsestly the one that I would have thought needed help was Riley.. she lives in a fantasy world where she  see's little birds, lives like a princess and tries to make everything and everyone around her suit her perception of the perfect world. She also has trouble with communication and an inability to grasp concepts for her age group.

Maya's "awful life" is non existant. Basically it boils down to, "Daddy left me. So I can act out and do whatever the F$#@ I want." The only time she did something remotely bad was to steal a necklace which she later returned to the owners.

Why don't they analyse C/T relationship and child rearing concepts for Riley to be the way she is? With a mother like Topanga I would have expected much more stable Riley.

Why don't they retcon Chet and dump his ass in jail for abandoning Shawn?

Better yet why don't they retcon why C/T only kissed for 17 years. I think Cory only saw Topanga's butt is S6???

But yet, they take a kid like Farkle who's a top achiever and is undergoing personal change by choice and put him in the Austitic spectrum.

Get real.

It's seriously unwise to write about mental health issues no matter how many experts you have advising the cast.

• Love 2

Agreed.

Farkle is the LAST character (not kid, CHARACTER) on this show who needs testing.

Someone decided that Riley needs to be too dumb to live in order to continue building Maya up, so Riley needs basic IQ testing.

Maya likes to pretend that her life is nearly unbearable, yet all I can see wrong with it even way back in season one is that her mom was working far too hard in keeping a roof over her head and (really trendy) clothes on her back to spend much time with her.

Farkle is more normal and happy and well-adjusted than either Riley or Maya are.

• Love 6

Jumping to conclusions based on a summary that was probably written by a Disney marketing intern does nobody an favors, and neither does taking cheap shots at some of the other characters on the show. Short summaries are often intentionally misleading so I doubt the conclusion for this episode will be that Farkle is actually autistic/ has aspergers/ is on the spectrum. 

• Love 5

In our defense, this is a hot-button issue and I'll give up the right to bitch based on the summary if the words "autism" or "spectrum" never seriously enter this episode.

There are FAR too many labels these days and I am truly frightened now (because I have an eighteen-month old niece who will be affected whether she is button-holed or not) because I truly never saw Farkle as anything but a quirky, slightly pervy beyond his years kid who was proudly himself despite the issues and found some kind friends who allowed him to do that yet still kidded around with him.

If someone like Farkle is actually on the spectrum, please stop the humanity train, because all sane people should get off and take their kids.

Edited by katie9918
  • Love 4

Oh, I agree we should actually watch the Ep no probs but if you read all the previews of this particular ep it's clear they were not written by an intern.

It's more like Disney's was of making us aware of something than anything else IE family awareness week or such like.

As for the rest no apologies here..

I have been meaning to get into the lack of character developement on GMW for some time.

But comments noted.

I thought that was a good episode. Every body showed maturity and growth. Liked that Jennifer was not evil. I could imagine Minkus and he getting married. He invents something, makes some money and she comes around looking for a relationship.

I like Smackle and Riley's lesson at the end. I also like her reactions to Lucas

• Love 1

That was actually really well done. Farkle stayed true to the character, and his friends' arguments turned out to be correct. They telegraphed Smackle having Asperger's pretty early on, and I appreciate that it was treated as totally obvious. Everyone was so wonderfully used including Jennifer Bassett aka the Terminator. Minkus had more personality here than I ever remember him having on BMW. The Minki are such a weird little power couple; they're great. No wonder Farkle wants to rule the world. I loved how Farkle used The Face to get Riley to marry him. I like the Farkle/Lucas friendship as much as the Maya/Riley one.

Random thing I liked - they've used that black Maya shirt with the Peter Pan collar about 3 times since she bought it with Shawn (or ones like it). I like that there's some believably to Maya having a limited wardrobe.

But they killed the "Is he a clone?" joke!

• Love 5

This episode touched a sensitive spot for me. I have Aspergers and I've been dealing with it all my life. Most recently, it cost me my job. I'm fighting it but it's still a crappy situation.

That being said, I thought they handled the subject matter very well. I'd like to see Minkus and Jennifer on again...I would LOVE to see Shawn react to Jennifer being Farkle's mom!

• Love 3

I have Aspergers, and I thought the episode was well done considering that it's a half hour and doesn't have much time to delve into the intricacies of a spectrum disorder. I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult, and many of my behaviors in school growing up were written off as just being "quirky", especially since I was able to maintain friendships and was considered gifted, so Farkle being flagged didn't really faze me, since diagnostic criteria has vastly improved since 15-20 years ago when I was in middle/high school. I also liked that they veered a bit and made it Smackle who was on the spectrum.

All in all, a pretty decent episode. The only thing I would have clarified is that the idea that autistics or aspies "don't understand emotion or love" is not the prevailing attitude anymore - we aren't emotionless robots. Rather, it's that we don't necessarily understand how to express our emotions, or express them in atypical ways. But I thought the show did a decent job showing that wasn't the case for either Farkle or Smackle.

• Love 4

Fairly decent episode. 

My brother called it early on that Farkle wouldn't have Asperger's. I'm kind of disappointed to be honest. I think the show could have benefited from it. I would have really liked to see the reactions of Maya and Riley (especially Maya) if he had been diagnosed with it. They were really freaked out and them being so adamant about him not having it was interesting to me. Like, if a friend of mine were to tell me they might have Asperger's I know I would just be there for them based on how they reacted to the news. In what way would I be a good friend if I basically flipped out on them for something they can't control? 

I also hated how they were, yet again, too heavy-handed with the lesson. They really need to cool it with the friendship speeches. They are tedious and arbitrary at this point. We get it, you guys love each other. Move on. And I did not like how Riley kept forcing herself on Smackle. I am very uncomfortable being touched. And to see Riley force Smackle to 'hug' her when I myself had to endure that for years in middle school before I learned to speak up about it brought back all those horrible memories.

I enjoyed Jennifer Basset and Minkus' dynamic. I could see how the two of them would end up together. I wish there was a flashback though. They said her name, but I doubt the demographic for this show is going to recognize her. Heck, I almost didn't and I've binge-watched this show like half a million times.

I watched the whole original series and I still can't place the Jennifer character. Is she the one Cory and Shawn basically hid from in a library once? If so, i vaguely remember the plot, but not the actress at all. 

Yes, that's her. She also returned as one of Shawn's angry ex-girlfriends in a later episode.

• Love 1

I didn't care for this episode. While i love the quirkiness of the show, it felt as if it was over done this episode.  The little we saw of both sets of parents was very nice. I am tired of Riley and Maya (especially). The boy who played Farkle did a great job. 

This season is better, but I am starting to feel like something is missing and some scenes feel more forced.

BTW, I like Shawn and Katy together.

Kristina Loken BMW Season 5, Episode 15 and a few more....

GMW is actually looking like a variation of the series "Friends" more than a continuation of BMW. I think that the whole friends thing in GMW is moving into fantasy land rather than real life.

They missed one fact or I didn't pick up on it. Smackle was diagnosed at age 5? Has she had more testing later in life? I would have thought that was too young.

Kristina Loken BMW Season 5, Episode 15 and a few more....

GMW is actually looking like a variation of the series "Friends" more than a continuation of BMW. I think that the whole friends thing in GMW is moving into fantasy land rather than real life.

They missed one fact or I didn't pick up on it. Smackle was diagnosed at age 5? Has she had more testing later in life? I would have thought that was too young.

For autism (and pretty much all diagnoses I would imagine) the earlier one is diagnosed, the better it is for the person so they can start therapy or treatment to help them. 

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm glad it was stated Farkle did not have ASD. He's never shown any signs of it. Smackle (or Isadora as I guess they're calling her now) is a much more believable character to have ASD. I hope she becomes a regular recurring character. I like her relationship with Farkle and the others, though I agree with FrumiusManxone that Riley hugging Isadora without her permission (especially after learning that she doesn't like to be hugged) was awkward and rude. But I guess she is a 13-year-old kid and can't be expected to understand that right away. I did like that they showed Farkle asking permission to give her a hug.

• Love 1

I thought this was a pretty good episode all around.  For a very special episode.  I'm glad they didn't go the route of putting Farkle on the spectrum because it just wouldn't have made sense based on his previous characterization.  Whereas I think it was obvious where they were going with Smackle from the second she made her first appearance in this episode.  Made even more obvious when Lucas started reading the symptoms out loud.  I also thought the kid that plays Farkle did a really nice job in this episode.

I was trying to figure out why the woman playing the teacher or the person that did the testing on Farkle looked so familiar.  I think she was one of Teddy's friends on Good Luck Charlie.

I love thought that this show exists in some weird world where everyone that grew up with Cory and Topanga seems to exist in this one little corner of NYC.  Did they just transplant their entire high school to NYC with them?

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
I love thought that this show exists in some weird world where everyone that grew up with Cory and Topanga seems to exist in this one little corner of NYC.  Did they just transplant their entire high school to NYC with them?

To be fair though, it's not so much a stretch that people from the Philly suburbs would wind up in NYC- they're pretty close to each other and Brooklyn is a pretty hot spot for people to move to. (I think this is supposed to be Brooklyn.)

Edited by methodwriter85

To be fair though, it's not so much a stretch that people from the Philly suburbs would wind up in NYC- they're pretty close to each other and Brooklyn is a pretty hot spot for people to move to. (I think this is supposed to be Brooklyn.)

It's still weird, to me anyway.  I grew up and live in NYC.  I don't run into that many people that I grew up with when I live in the same city.

Good memory spanana :)

Believe me, it took me the entire half hour to place her.  All I could remember is that she played the friend character in something.

This was a great episode. I'm glad Farkle wasn't on the spectrum but I'm also glad that Smackle was. And that it's okay. I was a bit annoyed by Maya's insistence that Farkle wasn't because it shouldn't matter if he is, he's still Farkle, but then I remembered they are children and that is a natural reaction for someone that age who has not been exposed to autism before. I do love that they studied it and realized that Smackle fits the profile and where just fine with it.

I do agree it was invasive of Riley to keep hugging her, but again, kids, but I LOVED (by loved I mean teared up, heart melted) when Farkle asked if he could hug her, she said yes, said she didn't like it, he said he knew, she said not to stop and he put his head against hers. Cried! That moment was just beautiful.

Smackle is a well crafted character. Yes, she's often played for laughs, but she is clearly capable of love and compassion she just doesn't understand how it all works. I hope she does come to Adams.

Well done show, well done.

• Love 2
My brother called it early on that Farkle wouldn't have Asperger's. I'm kind of disappointed to be honest. I think the show could have benefited from it. I would have really liked to see the reactions of Maya and Riley (especially Maya) if he had been diagnosed with it. They were really freaked out and them being so adamant about him not having it was interesting to me. Like, if a friend of mine were to tell me they might have Asperger's I know I would just be there for them based on how they reacted to the news. In what way would I be a good friend if I basically flipped out on them for something they can't control?

I agree it would have been good for the girls to be more supportive.  But, on the other hand, I thought that Maya's reaction was perfectly in character for her.  She has always been shown to be really uncomfortable with any changes like that.  I think her fear was that, somehow, if Farkle got this diagnosis, it was going to change him (which we know it wouldn't, really, but she's young).  In the yearbook episode, Maya was the one who was genuinely freaked out by her friends not acting like themselves.  Lucas was upset, too, but he was more upset from a standpoint of "you guys don't have to change just because of what someone else says about you."  Maya's reaction was more that she really couldn't deal with Riley or Farkle changing, like she needed them to be exactly who they've always been.  

I love that they "studied" so they'd know more about it if Farkle was diagnosed, and I also loved how easily they acknowledged and accepted that Smackle was the one who has Asperger's.  

And, of course, I loved the parents interacting.  

One thing I did like about Maya's reaction of "He's gonna stop doing that" is that she's the kind of person who doesn't want anything to be harder for her friends and that's why she didn't want Farkle to have it. When Smackle said she had it, she was supportive because that was how she could help in that moment.

It's still weird, to me anyway.  I grew up and live in NYC.  I don't run into that many people that I grew up with when I live in the same city.

A few of my kid sister's friends from Michigan have moved to Colorado near her for various reasons. I kind of see it as a chain migration, Jonathan Turner was responsible for Cory being hired as a teacher, Harvey got the janitor's job from Cory. The weirdest thing is the Minkus family.

• Love 1

I don't find the Minkus family move to NYC weird, if Stuart  is the CEO of a multinational corporation then it makes sense  that he lives near NYC and as both Stuart and Topango are high income earners with young families it makes sense that they live in the same neighbourhood. It is surprising that poor Maya with the waitress mom can afford to live and go to school in that neighbourhood.

I do agree it was invasive of Riley to keep hugging her, but again, kids, but I LOVED (by loved I mean teared up, heart melted) when Farkle asked if he could hug her, she said yes, said she didn't like it, he said he knew, she said not to stop and he put his head against hers. Cried! That moment was just beautiful.

So glad I wasn't alone in tearing up on that scene.  It was well written and beautifully acted by both Farkle and Smackle.  I hope Smackle does transfer to their school, but if she doesn't, I hope she and Farkle continue their strange (and wonderful) relationship. 

I was honestly touched by this entire episode.  I thought Maya and Riley's reaction were age appropriate to finding out one of their best friends was possibly an aspie.  And I LOVED that the kids went and studied about Asperger's in order to better understand it.  I love the friendship between the core 4.  I wish we had more of private interactions between Farkle and Lucas because I think their friendship is as fun and interesting as Maya and Riley's relationship. 

• Love 1

I finally saw this episode and I take my back my knee jerk reaction.

Overall, I think this was a job pretty well done, especially compared to "Girl Meets Creativity."

I really liked the Minkus family and all the adults' interaction.

• Love 1

I thought this was a really well done episode.  They tackled the subject well without making it too much of "a very special episode."

I liked that Smackle is the one with Asperger's, not Farkle.  Sometimes, the weird kid is weird because of a diagnosable issue and sometimes the weird kid is weird because they're Farkle.  Both things are okay.  

The moment on the window seat with Farkle and Smackle hugging was so sweet.  He handled her just right.  I hope she sticks around more, even if she doesn't switch schools.  Hopefully she'll come back for dances or social events.  The actress that plays her is adorable and does the character really well.  

I loved who Mrs. Minkus turned out to be. They're a fun power couple.  It probably started out as a mutually beneficial relationship - she gets the rich husband, he gets the beautiful wife - but they really seem to love each other and their son (who is not a robot).  And seeing Cory & Topanga with the Minkii was fun.  It's nice to see the adults interacting, especially Cory's reaction to Jennifer.  

• Love 1
The moment on the window seat with Farkle and Smackle hugging was so sweet.  He handled her just right.  I hope she sticks around more, even if she doesn't switch schools.  Hopefully she'll come back for dances or social events.  The actress that plays her is adorable and does the character really well.

That's the only part of the episode I really enjoyed. Otherwise, Farkle was just too damn loud and annoying. I'm getting really tired of Maya's outrage when her little world is disrupted. If she really were as "street smart" as she was originally portrayed, it seems to me that she'd be able to roll with life's adversities a little better. And I'm increasingly appalled at how selfish and disrespectful these kids are. Apparently, Cory's class exists only for them to disrupt as they wish, and Cory is just there to get snide remarks from Maya. It seems like it's getting even worse.

I think the show is starting to fall into the trap of "Which 'Boy Meets World' alumni can we get on next?" I vaguely remember Minkus from the original show, and he was annoying then. When he was gone after a season or two, I didn't miss him at all. Shows do that all the time -- tweak their casts until they get the right mix, or introduce new characters.

As for grown-up Minkus, meh. I did not know who the wife was at all, so her appearance meant nothing to me. It was just "Boy Meets World" fan service.

It makes sense for the Matthewses to show up from time to time, but I don't want to see any more of Minkus or Angela or the red-headed roommate from college. Janitor Harley has been nicely incorporated into the cast (how he got to John Quincy Adams Junior High notwithstanding), and Mr. Turner's intro was OK, but still rather ham-handed.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1
I'm getting really tired of Maya's outrage when her little world is disrupted. If she really were as "street smart" as she was originally portrayed, it seems to me that she'd be able to roll with life's adversities a little better

To me it seems like the "street smart" persona was always something put on by Maya, because she wants to be viewed that way.  But, she's never truly been shown to be so "street smart."  She just wants to be seen as tough because she doesn't like to look vulnerable. 

• Love 4

I'm getting really tired of Maya's outrage when her little world is disrupted. If she really were as "street smart" as she was originally portrayed, it seems to me that she'd be able to roll with life's adversities a little better.

..She's a teenage girl putting on an act. Yeah, life is tough and full of harsh stuff, but a 13/14 year old girl is not going to automatically be able to "roll with life's adversities" just like that. There's progress and setbacks, at that age some girls don't or can't handle any major changes in their worlds. It's a learning process. I recall every single person in Riley's life going above and beyond trying to protect her from learning that the class fish had died and was replaced, and Riley not being able to handle that Pluto wasn't a planet anymore for goodness sake.

The kids are incredibly disrespectful in class, but Cory is too much of a goddamn pushover to discipline them so of course they act out. If he was any good as a teacher he would know how to discipline them, especially his daughter. "Don't speak when the teacher is speaking" is one of the first rules I learned while in K-12 school yet that is completely ignored in the show. As much as I like Smackle, I hope she doesn't transfer schools. The constant attention grabbing antics of Maya, Riley, Lucas, and Farkle would probably drive her nuts.

• Love 1

I thought this was a really well done episode.  They tackled the subject well without making it too much of "a very special episode."

I liked that Smackle is the one with Asperger's, not Farkle.  Sometimes, the weird kid is weird because of a diagnosable issue and sometimes the weird kid is weird because they're Farkle.  Both things are okay.  

The moment on the window seat with Farkle and Smackle hugging was so sweet.  He handled her just right.  I hope she sticks around more, even if she doesn't switch schools.  Hopefully she'll come back for dances or social events.  The actress that plays her is adorable and does the character really well.  

I loved who Mrs. Minkus turned out to be. They're a fun power couple.  It probably started out as a mutually beneficial relationship - she gets the rich husband, he gets the beautiful wife - but they really seem to love each other and their son (who is not a robot).  And seeing Cory & Topanga with the Minkii was fun.  It's nice to see the adults interacting, especially Cory's reaction to Jennifer.  

Word. This was one really good episode. I couldn't be prouder to be a fan. The subject matter was handled with some dignity and respect. And seeing the adults interact with one another was the icing on top. Even dvr'd it for my mom to watch, since it was so well done.

• Love 3

..She's a teenage girl putting on an act. Yeah, life is tough and full of harsh stuff, but a 13/14 year old girl is not going to automatically be able to "roll with life's adversities" just like that. There's progress and setbacks, at that age some girls don't or can't handle any major changes in their worlds. It's a learning process. I recall every single person in Riley's life going above and beyond trying to protect her from learning that the class fish had died and was replaced, and Riley not being able to handle that Pluto wasn't a planet anymore for goodness sake.

The kids are incredibly disrespectful in class, but Cory is too much of a goddamn pushover to discipline them so of course they act out. If he was any good as a teacher he would know how to discipline them, especially his daughter. "Don't speak when the teacher is speaking" is one of the first rules I learned while in K-12 school yet that is completely ignored in the show. As much as I like Smackle, I hope she doesn't transfer schools. The constant attention grabbing antics of Maya, Riley, Lucas, and Farkle would probably drive her nuts.

Yeah and no-one has thought to test Riley? lol good grief..Fish died and lets not tell RIley pluto isn't a planet? I'm thinking mental age of about 6 here.

And I remember when Cory legitimately failed Maya (gave her a F) and she completely freaked out by leaving school. Little tip for you that's called truancy.

Smackle is better off having guest appearances. 

But the actress did a good job as did Farkle though I didn't see much of autisim present itself in Smackle mainly a dislike of being touched. Seriously if Riley launched herself at me for a hug like she does I'd be reluctant to be around her too and I like being hugged.

Just for real life reference when I spoke out of turn in class one of my teachers would tape my mouth shut, another would slap us with a ruler whenever we sighed in class. ( that sigh as in emit a long, deep, audible breath expressing sadness, relief, tiredness, or a similar feeling.) So, looking at Maya's "awful" life...

"Drama queen and attention seeker" would be the terms I'd use.

• Love 3