Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E06: The Girl Who Gets Possessed

Mame is a harridan, y'all. She is gorgeous ON THE OUTSIDE and kind of model-ly, but her personality is every bit as defective as Hadassah's. And I was on Hadassah's side over the coming in the bathroom to pee while H was in the shower. If there's no other bath, or they were occupied, at least ANNOUNCE yourself, but then to stay and brush your teeth and scream? Unnecessary. Boring but beautiful Justin is too good for her.

Still hate Mikey and his flavour of the month, I can't believe I can't remember her name.

I can't stand Toothy, either. I do think she ever so slightly contributed to Ava's departure, but Ava was probably never going to win and Tyra wrecked her with that super fugly mullet haircut. I mean, the hair even looked damaged; was it "razor" cut with a chain saw?

I'm not hating Devin quite as much; he may have distanced himself a bit from Mikey and Ashley (?) or they have pulled away from him a bit cause they're so into each other. Bello still bugs and I don't really care who wins, honestly; they're all ridiculous.

I would love to think someone like Nyle might win, but he won't be able to maintain and he'll probably be better off if he doesn't win anyway. I mean, Whitney has been such a smashing success that she's modeling for some unknown company for which KELLY does the representation.

• Love 2

Do they even need a photographer?  Can't Product Placement phones just be set up to capture images without human interaction- they could just snap a shot at random intervals.  Heck, they don't even need shoots.  Just grab stills from their time in the house (wasn't there something called "living fiercely" on this show at some point?).

The bathroom argument- I think I may be too old for this show.  It bothers me (sort of- it's not like I care all that much about this show) that with both this and the fight between Mike/Bello last week people with boundaries I find to be perfectly reasonable are treated like the villain.  Mame' may be cool showering in a shared bathroom with her hookup while others wander in and out randomly.  But...isn't that the odd behavior, and not Hadassah preferring to bathe alone?  

What's weird to me about this season is that even with the drama and bad photographs I kind of feel like they have people with more modeling talent than they have in awhile.  Or at least the potential to take good pictures.  So to me it's more of a waste of potential than a lost cause season.  At least at this point.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 10

Well when you do look at some you can say modeling potential. 

Editorial: Devin, Lacey, Courtney, 

Commercials for cologne (Giorgio Armano) & perfume (Elizabeth Arden): Nyle, Stefano, Mame and maybe Justin.

Some do have looks, but some are geared more toward either being editorial modeling, commercial modeling, catalog modeling, runway modeling, fitness modeling, etc. Some don't have the look at all like Ashley with that Tyra haircut. Ava would have to grow her hair out if she wants a fighting chance at all. Mikey if I was a high end person in the fashion world I wouldn't know what to do with Mikey, I more than likely wouldn't hire him for anything unless I was doing a beach themed photo shoot. I wouldn't hire Bello at all.

• Love 3

Kelly force-feeding "sexy" and "sassy" to the model groups during the challenge photoshoot (right after telling them to be themselves), and then her pimping Mame to Mikey (and Mikey to Mame) was nauseating. And it seems it's going on again next week. I felt as I'm watching the new season of UnReal, except the shit-stirring is actually happening on camera.

Bello's picture was absolutely hilarious. There is no way this was his best picture.

• Love 4

Well, this was the highest rated episode of the cycle so far and this cycle the ratings have actually gone up so there are people loving the "drama" of it.

Maybe it's like a really bad accident, you know you shouldn't look but you just can't stop yourself from looking.

• Love 2

Well when you do look at some you can say modeling potential. 

Editorial: Devin, Lacey, Courtney, 

Commercials for cologne (Giorgio Armano) & perfume (Elizabeth Arden): Nyle, Stefano, Mame and maybe Justin.

I also think Nyle could be a perfect LL Bean catalog model candidate.

Can Courtney realistically even do editorial at 5'3"? Just wondering. I do think she can look "high fashion" with the right makeup, clothes and lighting but will her lack of height pose a problem for booking editorial work?

Mame, Lacey and Nyle, I can see being moderately successful commercial models, like in Target, Sephora, and Nike ads.

I think Justin will probably have a great career modeling in South Korea, and possibly some fitness, underwear ads in the U.S too.

I honestly don't know where Devin and Bello would fit. If I worked in fashion I wouldn't book them for anything.

Speaking of Bello's butt shot this week, I wonder if Andre Leon Talley were still a judge, would he want to hang it in his saloon?

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 4

Can Courtney realistically even do editorial at 5'3"? Just wondering. I do think she can look "high fashion" with the right makeup, clothes and lighting but will her lack of height pose a problem for booking editorial work?

I've read that there are different kinds of editorials. In order to book a high fashion editorial, the model should be (at least) 5'9". Obviously there are exceptions such as Kate Moss. Runway models are 5'10" and 5'11", but there is overlap between high fashion editorial models and runway models like your Linda Evangelistas and Naomi Campbells. A more contemporary and easily recognizable example would be Karlie Kloss.

I think Courtney's too short to do high fashion editorials. She wouldn't fit the sample sizes.

Edited by Surrealist

If Courtney's lucky she'll wind-up in music videos.  I believe Ava has already been in two since her elim and she no longer has the mullet.  It's blonde and more pixie-like.

Mike prior to this show was signed with Next Miami and a lot of his portfolio is outdoorsy, beach, hanging with the guys type stuff so that's probably what he'll wind-up continuing to do once he gets bumped off of this show.

• Love 1
I must admit I know nothing about high fashion but I assume most modeling is about looking attractive and not about be possessed by Satan.

The one thing this idiot show gets right is constantly saying that high fashion is about selling clothes. If a photo shoot wherein the models look possessed will sell the clothes, then it's a great idea. But those weren't really...clothes, were they? Just kinda billowy sheets. 

1 question, is Bello (?) wearing contacts? No way those are his real eyes. Whatever he was doing during his photo shoot... LOL. 

Yep, they're real! Can you believe? I don't particularly like him, but I do love it when people have that coloring. It's caused by either a single genetic mutation called OCA2, or simply the fact that both black parents had light-eyed Europeans somewhere in their ancestry. 

Seriously, what the hell was with that photo shoot? I got all excited that they were finally doing a shoot with a concept and creative hair and makeup, but all they did was pour talcum powder in their hair and whiten their faces. 

I actually liked the styling because I love creepy shit like that, but I felt that Yu Sai and the photographer ruined it by their combo of horrible, abusive "creative" directing and terrible photography. And then Tyra, as per yooge, sabotaging the models by picking their worst shots instead of their best ones. 

I'm sorry but Whitney is in serious obese territory at this point. Am I the only one who was kind of shocked by how much weight she's gained?

I hate, hate, HATE fat shaming, and I don't think Whitney is anywhere near obese, but I do have to admit I was a bit shocked by her weight gain. I thought she was gorgeous and sexy during her season (minority opinion, I know), but she really did put on quite a bit of weight since then. I wonder if she needed to in order to be a plus-sized model of a certain variety? Perhaps she wasn't large enough before? As long as she's healthy I don't care, but yes, I was a bit shocked. 

• Love 2

I too was surprised by Whitney's size. My first thought was: Maybe Tyra really IS shaking up the modeling industry. (Not.)

Also, I too am really disappointed by the lack of quality in these photos. I seem to remember Project Runway doing a spinoff competition featuring the models; maybe Tyra should consider doing something similar with photographers. My nine-year-old niece could take pictures better than this dude.

The "possessed" photoshoot reminded me of the White Walkers (Game of Thrones). I wonder if mentioning that show might have made a difference. As popular as that show is, I have to think some of them have watched it.

Kelly and Yu Tsai trying to mix it up between the two couples...y'all ain't slick.

Dammit, Mame...I'm trying to root for you but you had to bring the drama doing something that you knew PERFECTLY WELL would set Hadassah off (because I don't believe for one second there's only one toilet in that house). I hate that you made me feel sorry for her (for about a millisecond).

Hey, Hadassah? Your comment about Mame's attitude not being fit for a pageant girl further proves my point that you have NO BUSINESS BEING ON THIS SHOW. You still haven't figured out that this is a (tired and broke-ass) MODELING competition.

Yay Nyle! Come give Mama ExMathMajor a nice...big...hug... :)

Oh yeah, I forgot: Bye, Ava. Hopefully Courtney will be following you out next.

Edited by ExMathMajor
  • Love 1

i love Nyle, but it was still a bit weird when his best photo... uhm... center focus bump was staring at me. was i the only one who couldn't "look away"? lol i mean, where's mystery? where's tease? lol 

why choose this photo? if you are lusting for him (like half the audience) just print a wallet size photo and carry it around.

• Love 2

Gawd, I hate this fake show.  I hadn't watched it for many years, but Tivo taped it and I tuned in tonight.

Tyra still thinks she's EVERYTHING. 

Kelly, you miserable, alcohol-bloated-face shrew.  Keep working in the fashion industry and wearing those shapeless, black tents that you think cover up those extra 50 lbs.  Nice, giving a couple of teams the fill-in-the-blank answers.

I like Nyle, a lot.  But this phony show.  As soon as I heard his slogan was Simply Be Heard, I knew he would win.

There is no way, NO WAY, that the photos they say are the best photos, are the actual best photos from the films.

I liked the girl who was sent home.  She looked like a young Kim Cattrall.

Gave this show all the allowed thumbs down tonight so my Tivo never betrays me like this again!

• Love 4

Yu Tsai does some really good work professionally and has photographed both models and celebrities, and there is NO way that the average celeb would tolerate the type of bullying we see on the show, so I am going to assume that his behavior toward the "models" is just as contrived as the hook-ups, chosen photos, and potential for the winner.

The one thing this idiot show gets right is constantly saying that high fashion is about selling clothes. If a photo shoot wherein the models look possessed will sell the clothes, then it's a great idea. But those weren't really...clothes, were they? Just kinda billowy sheets.

Bingo. All I could think of was that they were selling the antique sewing machine, and that it somehow related to the possession inspiring turning the sheets into clothing, or whatever.

I'm more familiar with guy models and careers, so I really cannot judge any of the female models, but the males who will likely be hired (or continue to work) after this, IMO, are Justin and Mike. Some casting directors are big on the long hair thing (Travis Smith's career is dependent on it), and Mike also has a decent look with it pulled back, and Asian models get a ton of editorial and runway work, if only to fill the diversity quota, and Justin has a decent look on top of filing that niche.

The drama in the house? If they cannot have locks on the doors or separate sleeping quarters for the genders then the producers are just demanding more. But, way to play out sterotypical gender roles by having the calm male corral the two catfighting females back in line at the house meeting. It was like some 1950s flick.

• Love 6
Have cosmetic companies stop wanting ANTM to promote their products?

I wouldn't blame them if they had, but a bit on some talk show at the the gym (when I couldn't change the channel) reminded me that Tyra now has her own make up line, with names for each product as clever and cute as smize and tooch, something like You Bet Your Big Fat Lash or something.  This in turn reminded me that they featured them last cycle in a shoot, and the only thing I can remember about that episode was that Allison was in it.

Yu Tsai does some really good work professionally and has photographed both models and celebrities, and there is NO way that the average celeb would tolerate the type of bullying we see on the show, so I am going to assume that his behavior toward the "models" is just as contrived as the hook-ups, chosen photos, and potential for the winner.

I'm more familiar with guy models and careers, so I really cannot judge any of the female models, but the males who will likely be hired (or continue to work) after this, IMO, are Justin and Mike. Some casting directors are big on the long hair thing (Travis Smith's career is dependent on it), and Mike also has a decent look with it pulled back, and Asian models get a ton of editorial and runway work, if only to fill the diversity quota, and Justin has a decent look on top of filing that niche.

The drama in the house? If they cannot have locks on the doors or separate sleeping quarters for the genders then the producers are just demanding more. But, way to play out stereotypical gender roles by having the calm male corral the two catfighting females back in line at the house meeting. It was like some 1950s flick.

You're right. Yu gets plenty of work outside the show. His work is pretty good. This isn't to say that I don't think Yu has his dickish moments because I'm guessing most, if not all, fashion industry folks have those too. I'm sure the industry is tougher on those who aren't names yet.

Actually, your Yu Tsai commentary made me think of how fashion industry people and celebrities acted with the Terry Richardson sexual harassment/abuse allegations. A bulk of the ones who defended him would qualify as A- and B-Listers. Many of the ones who spoke out against him weren't as high up on the celebrity fame chain. It's easy for a man like Richardson to harass and abuse the not-so-famous because he knows few people will take their accusations seriously. He would never jeopardize his career by behaving the same way toward his A-List clients.

Mike skeeves me out, but I understand how he could fit into the male modeling world. I agree with you about Justin. I think he'd make a great runway model. His body is perfect for it. I think Nyle's handsome, but is he a better fit for commercial modeling?

On your last point about the stereotypical gender roles this show promotes, I love you.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Am I alone in thinking Hadassah was being ridiculous during ShowerGate? I spent my summer in hostels where the shared bathrooms - sometimes co-ed - often didn't even have frosted glass. I get that it makes her uncomfortable, but that's the reality of shared living quarters. I wouldn't have been pleased had anybody reacted toward me the way Hadassah did, although I'm not exactly justifying Mame's dramatics, either.

• Love 1

Kelly and Yu Tsai trying to mix it up between the two couples...y'all ain't slick.

I didn't like the shit stirring either, since they did not pair Justin and Ashley in the same manner.  Plus Mame didn't seem too bothered by gross Mikey.  I wouldn't want to be touched any other dude if I has Justin in my bed (and shower!).   That and the pissing matches with Hadassah have lowered my like of Mame considerably.  Free Justin!

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 4

Am I alone in thinking Hadassah was being ridiculous during ShowerGate? I spent my summer in hostels where the shared bathrooms - sometimes co-ed - often didn't even have frosted glass. I get that it makes her uncomfortable, but that's the reality of shared living quarters. I wouldn't have been pleased had anybody reacted toward me the way Hadassah did, although I'm not exactly justifying Mame's dramatics, either.

I think it's more the fact that Mame didn't knock, she just barged right on in to use the bathroom, plus after using the bathroom, she went and brushed her teeth as well while Hadassah was in the shower. I'm sure Mame would have reacted the same way as Hadassah if Hadassah barged in the bathroom while Mame was showering because look at how Mame was acting towards Stefano when she stepped out of line to use the confessional. 

Not only that but Mame has also been talking about Hadassah behind her back. Hadassah is no innocent flower but her confrontations have been to that person's face like with Lacey and Devin. I haven't seen her talk about people behind their back, she basically tells them to their faces how she feels.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 6

I think it's more the fact that Mame didn't knock, she just barged right on in to use the bathroom, plus after using the bathroom, she went and brushed her teeth as well while Hadassah was in the shower. I'm sure Mame would have reacted the same way as Hadassah if Hadassah barged in the bathroom while Mame was showering because look at how Mame was acting towards Stefano when she stepped out of line to use the confessional. 

But would somebody knock before entering a locker room? How did Hadassah manage during gym class? I think the issue comes down to Hadassah seeing the bathroom as a private place for one person at a time, versus Mamé feeling that this specific bathroom is a shared space. I got the impression that Hadassah is not accustomed to having to share something like a bathroom with other people despite this being an incredibly common thing in dorms, hostels, locker rooms, etc.

Ultimately they both handled it so poorly that I'm not particularly on Mamé's side, either. In school I changed for gym class in a bathroom stall, so I'm not insensitive to Hadassah's discomfort. But I thought she was out of line to demand exclusive use of the entire bathroom while she's in the shower.

Editorial modeling is where models are featured in fashion magazines (Vogue, Vanity Fair, Glamour, etc.) in the editorial section of the magazine which features different fashion spreads. The photographic style is more freerer and shot on location rather than in the studio for catalogs where the poses are more riged and posed.

• Love 1

Thanks ShadowSixx. I just can't imagine Courtney modeling because of her height and her face (I feel bad saying that), but I guess she'd be perfect if that's the look they want. Still, how often would that be the look they want?

I hate to agree with Hadassah, I mean I really hate it because she's odious, but she's not wrong about Mame barging into the bathroom AND STAYING.  I understand having to pee (although does this house really only have one bathroom?), and having grown up in a house with one bathroom for 5 people, yes, sometimes you can't wait for another person to finish showering.  But it's common decency and politeness to at least knock on the door and say excuse me, and to leave as soon as you've finished; you can always wash your hands in the kitchen if necessary.

• Love 2

Thanks ShadowSixx. I just can't imagine Courtney modeling because of her height and her face (I feel bad saying that), but I guess she'd be perfect if that's the look they want. Still, how often would that be the look they want?

That's exactly the issue: she's way too short for any job that would like her face, and her face is too "edgy" for any job that would make concessions about her height.

I am personally in love with her face, but I don't understand how she keeps escaping a smackdown from Tyra considering how much shit Lenox got last season despite being a far (far, far, far) superior model.

But would somebody knock before entering a locker room?

No, because a locker room is public space.  A bathroom (with a single shower stall) is private space while in use and with the door closed, and if you need to pee while someone else is showering, you knock and ask for permission or apologize if it's an emergency.

• Love 4

Imagine if Nigel had talked to female models the way Tyra and Kelly talk to Nyle.

"come on, just keep that shirt off!"

oh my... LOL

and Nigel is a hot male specimen, you are generally less creeped out and give a pass more willingly to a good looking man hitting on you...

still, lawyers would have a field day

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 1

Right, I remember in C5 when a guest judge was talking about Nicole being a sex kitten and Nigel said he's glad that the guest judge said it because he couldn't get away with saying that. Nigel knows what's appropriate to say at panel and what's not appropriate unlike Tyra and Kelly.

• Love 2

No, because a locker room is public space.  A bathroom (with a single shower stall) is private space while in use and with the door closed, and if you need to pee while someone else is showering, you knock and ask for permission or apologize if it's an emergency.

There's a camera in the corner of the bathroom so I'm not sure how "private" it really is.

There's a camera in the corner of the bathroom so I'm not sure how "private" it really is.

True, but it's still not the same as a locker room or a multi-stall bathroom either.  Don't get me wrong, the sooner Hadassah is gone, the better, as far as my viewing pleasure is concerned.  And the long, drawn-out screechfest about the issue would've been tiresome had I not had this on tape, but Mame was in the wrong.

Edited by proserpina65

This show. At least when Mr. J was doing the creative direction on the shoots they were oddball but interesting (and things that you might see in real editorials), and the photographers were good (except of course for Tyra who fancies herself not simply a model and a 'brand' but also a photographer AND an art director who is capable of reviewing the film and picking 'your best shot'. I wonder if she also functions as her own lawyer, doctor and oral surgeon?)

The shenanigans are so obvious now, when her picks for 'best shot' are so obviously NOT...or in Hadassah's case, one where you can't see her face. I thought THAT was why she was crying. "Here's your best shot: the one where we can't actually see you."

• Love 1

Right, I remember in C5 when a guest judge was talking about Nicole being a sex kitten and Nigel said he's glad that the guest judge said it because he couldn't get away with saying that. Nigel knows what's appropriate to say at panel and what's not appropriate unlike Tyra and Kelly.

You reminded me of how they used to have the challenge where the winning model got to do a nude photoshoot with Nigel who was the photographer.

Now he's a talented photographer.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

This show. At least when Mr. J was doing the creative direction on the shoots they were oddball but interesting (and things that you might see in real editorials), and the photographers were good (except of course for Tyra who fancies herself not simply a model and a 'brand' but also a photographer AND an art director who is capable of reviewing the film and picking 'your best shot'. I wonder if she also functions as her own lawyer, doctor and oral surgeon?)

The shenanigans are so obvious now, when her picks for 'best shot' are so obviously NOT...or in Hadassah's case, one where you can't see her face. I thought THAT was why she was crying. "Here's your best shot: the one where we can't actually see you."

I agree with all of this except I do think Tyra's a surprisingly good photographer.  Not ready to be a real professional, mind you, but a talented amateur, in black and white at least.  But art director, editor, makeup artist, etc.?  Yeah, no.

• Love 1

I agree with all of this except I do think Tyra's a surprisingly good photographer.  Not ready to be a real professional, mind you, but a talented amateur, in black and white at least.  But art director, editor, makeup artist, etc.?  Yeah, no.

You're actually right about the photography (although it kills me to say it), and in fact she's better than this Eric Asla dude who is downright dreadful. 

• Love 2

I just rewatched the episode. Bello wasn't face down, ass up for the entire segment he was filmed. 

I thought that too. It was especially weird given that they were all full of praise for his risk-taking, and the ways he moved during the shoot and so on and so forth. If you're doing all that tumbling and flailing that were so into, occasionally, there's going to be an awkward, unflattering moment or two. So why pick one of those moments? I could see it if they didn't like what he was doing on set; then this pic could be a "look what happens when you do too much x" sort of thing. But to praise what he was doing and then pick this shot? WTF? Maybe it was the only one in focus?

Kelly force-feeding "sexy" and "sassy" to the model groups during the challenge photoshoot (right after telling them to be themselves),

I know. I loved that too. "Be yourself! Oh, but if yourself is boring, better be someone else instead."