Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Intruders

High ranking Nazi officer, Master's right hand, vampire apocalypse coordinator and now wig master, speech therapist and makeup guru. Eichorst? Is there nothing he can't do? If this doesn't work out he can work nights at the Estee Lauder counter. 

• Love 9

Very good episode. Abraham is hilarious. First, he tells Fet to get his head from under Dutch's skirt, then he tells him, we are going to rob that fool and boy was he right about the Cardinal. Men like him Palmer think that they can deal with evil. I really hope Coco is a plant by the Ancients or she is truly pathetic caring for that disgusting man.

Eichhorst is hilarious too. He is the Make Up Artist to the Strigoi. Ha. I also enjoyed him mocking Cardinal's hypocrisy. Eichhorst is just biding his time with Palmer. I look forward to him killing him when the Master is done using him. 

I liked Quinlan confronting Gus and making him face the truth about the Master. That young woman is probably dead, but she is definitely dead if he does not work with Quinlan. It is either fight or humanity dies, period.

I am glad that Nora insisted that Eph tell her the truth. It is best for both of them. I thought Zack had woken up to the truth about his mother. Poor Eph. He is a good father. He keeps trying.

Convenient how the fluid with the worms fly out of the strigoi and always manage to miss our people. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I forgot to mention that I liked that Gus and Angel were speaking in Spanish in the car. Nothing irks me more than when characters do not speak their first language when they are alone in the movies and on tv.

Abraham: I prefer to think of it as recovering a stolen artifact, but yeesss, we are going to rob the son of a bitch. 

Fet's reaction was precious. I laughed louder though.

ETA to fix Abraham's quote.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

The most shocking thing about this episode is that they actually shot scenes in NYC - midtown no less. 

Ugh Zack. Vampire apocalpyse is no place for kids, let alone stupid kids. Hell, he was ready to go to momma's bosom when she had 3 strands of hair, was ship metal gray covered with purple veins, hissing with snakes eyes so no surprise he fell for the okey doke after Eichorst's reverse face off makeup tutorial from monster to human.

• Love 2

High ranking Nazi officer, Master's right hand, vampire apocalypse coordinator and now wig master, speech therapist and makeup guru. Eichorst? Is there nothing he can't do? If this doesn't work out he can work nights at the Estee Lauder counter. 

He's a regular Henry -- I mean Heinrich HIggins with Kelly, isn't he?

"The Strain is Spain is mainly in my brain"

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

Awesome:

Fet's literal "hee hee" in response to proposed robbery.

Eichhorst's mock appeal to God on behalf of the cardinal. You wonderful asshole, you.

Head-scratching:

Where the hell was Dutch and her pregnant-looking gf? Not that I really care too much, but did they mention it last episode?

Failure:

Let me understand: vombie Kellie came for her son, and if she got him, she'd then leave? As the Dunder-Mifflin conflict resolution handbook would say, that's a win-win-win situation. That kid gets worse and worse every week, as improbable as that would seem.

• Love 3

Fet said Dutch was helping her find a new place in one of the buildings they already cleared. I don't remember the reason given. She probably wanted to move out of their relatively safe accommodations in order to get away from Zach.

• Love 5

Dear Owners of the (functioning ?) Indian Restaurant who have been through 'hard times' before - this is the freakin' vombie apocalypse!!! GTFO!!!!!

Yes Fet - think with the head up here where Setrakian is tapping.

Eichorst took Palmers slapdown quite well - FOR NOW muahahahahahaha.

• Love 2

Eichorst? Is there nothing he can't do? If this doesn't work out he can work nights at the Estee Lauder counter. 

"I'm free..."

All jokes aside, things like getting Kelly made up, his visible disappointment at getting dissed thoroughly by The Master making me feel sympathy for him, and even his not quite genial but formal manner almost make me forget he's a Nazi with "expertise in the imprisonment and extermination of large groups of humans", a vampire and stone cold killer.

Kudos to Richard Sammel for making this character one of the more finely layered ones on the show.

Edited by wmdekooning
  • Love 6

Honestly, can Kelly just turn Zach already or whatever? Even Carl on Walking Dead wasn't this angsty, and he had to KILL HIS OWN MOTHER, ZACH!

Kind of bummed they're pairing up Quinlan and Gus. I can't bring myself to care much for Gus or his story line. I wish Quinlan had stuck with Abraham and Fet.

• Love 1

Zach. No child-character has worked my nerves as hard as that boy.  The icing this ep, though, was when Eph took Nora aside and said, "Zach is showing symptoms of childhood psychosis" and her response was some tangential nonsense about mixed-messages that had nothing to do with the Kelly situation.  I think Zach has infected Nora with sour mind-grapes.

I'm afraid Quinlan is doomed. It seems to be a law of the show's universe that Gus' storyline must never touch the other ones for more than a few seconds. "Come with me. We must destroy The Master." "Okay." CRUNCH! "Well, I would have. Too bad you just got run over by that busload of luchadores."

Edited by CletusMusashi

I watch this episode On Demand. The menu caption read "Zach meets a surprise intruder." Me, "Wow, I wonder who the surprise intruder could be?"

Palmer/Coco sexytime, the most disturbing scenes I have seen this season. However Mia Maestro gratuitous sexy bed scenes, thumbs up!

Evil Catholic church official? Wow that's original. However I did laugh when Eichorst taunted him about his faith and Setrakian extorted a confession out of him based on it.

I'm a bad person.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

I was so entertained by last night's episode that I did a rewatch. David Bradley is clearly relishing the role of Abraham. It has got to be fun playing such a badass character at his age. I have watched him is so many British shows over the years.

I have been hoping that Coco is the Ancients' plant, but now I am wondering if she is a reporter or law enforcement officer undercover to find out the truth about Palmer's dirty dealings. I am probably over thinking it though.

I understand that the Gupta father's fear of leaving all he has built. I am glad that he came to his senses. The Guptas are lucky that Gus came into their lives. I hope that he can get the Ancients can protect the Guptas a little, at least give them a fighting chance by getting them somewhere safer.

Despite everything that he did, the Cardinal chose good over evil in the end and got a better death than so many others. He got lucky that Abraham and Fet showed up when they did..

Zach seemed so close to being a normal boy, at least as normal as any kid could be in these circumstances, when he was helping the surgery. I wonder if he will come too his senses too late.

Edited by SimoneS

I have only seen the last six episodes - but I love this show! It is crazy! Zombies, vampires, Zombie-vampires, spiderlike vampire children, Nazis, creepy old guys having sex - I am scared of all of those things!

• Love 5

Of all the violent, bloody, stuff on this show, Palmer and Coco in bed together, might have been the creepiest shit ever.  Their normal age difference is bad enough, but there were certain shots where Coco looked even younger then normal, so Palmer was really looking like he was one Chris Hansen meeting away from a "To Catch a Predator" episode.  Of course, it looks like she's done with him for now, but I think the theories that she is/was some kind of plant are probably right, so I'm guessing she'll be back.

Well, now that Kelly showed up to the hideout and tried to kill Eph and Nora right in front of him, I certainly hope that Zach has finally snapped out of his stupidity.  If he's still all "Maybe we can save her!", then, parenting be damned, Eph should just throw in the towel and let her have him.  Let nature take his course.  I loved that part of Zach's reasoning was also because Abe was "wrong" about sunlight killing The Master.  Sure, that didn't work out, but it did weaken him, so it's not like Abe was completely off track.  In short, shut it, Zach.  Little jackass.

Before all that, Eph finally tells Nora what happen in D.C., and she more or less reads between the lines about the affair.  I'm sure that will be addressed later.

Gus convinces the Guptas to finally leave, and just when it looks like he's thinking of running with them and hooking up with the daughter, Quinlan shows up and more or less recruits him back into the fight.  Maybe Quinlan is what is needed to make Gus more interesting.

Abe and Vasiliy are paired off again, which is never not awesome.  They at least get some shit done too, but finding out who has the almighty book, and making sure The Master doesn't find out either.  Well done, guys!  A much needed boost after last week's little screw-up!

Dutch was off screen again, with her stupid ex, so whatever, Dutch.

Coco engaging in any kind of sexual (or sexual adjacent) activity with Palmer is the creepiest shit on this mess of a show. I'm still praying she's undercover for . . . . someone. I refuse to believe she sexing up Palmer because she wants to.

Every time Zach whines about his mom I just want Eph to be like, "Fine. There's the door. Go find mom." The show is actively making me pull for the demise of a child. Anyone who wants to write some post-apocalypic zombie (or vampire) movie where a child or teen is involved needs to play The Last of Us all the way through. If your kid character isn't as great as Ellie then don't put them in the show.

Ok, can someone tell me why Zach is so important? Like........why has The Master decided he's going to help Kelly find him? I did think it was hilarious that Kelly (liking like a normal person) was apparently strolling around the streets with 2 spider kids like it was no biggie.

Why are Gus and that girl acting like a couple? I thought they just met? And her parents are idiots. I don't know why I'm supposed to care about them.

LOL at Dutch's girlfriend moving into an abandoned building because she felt uncomfortable with the others. Yes, woman who was seemingly incapacitated by a sprained ankle, that seems like a fantastic idea.

And for the love of my fucking sanity, show! Is New York a burning mess on fire or is it doing just fine? We've got vombies all over Brooklyn, but 5th Avenue was looking awesome when Fet and Abraham decided to rob the church. Seriously, you can't give me areal shots of burning buildings, shots of check points where cops are are scanning people for worms, plot lines where swat teams are designated to clear out buildings infested with vombies and also have a Cardinal getting ready for fancy fundraisers and shots of people in the middle of goddamn Manhattan where it appears to be so nice you could put it on a post card!

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 2

As entertained as I was by Eichorst dusting off all those beauty skills that he hasn't used since since his Goering-waxing days, I still just don't get why they're so gung-ho to get Zach. I mean, yeah, from a Doylist standpoint, I understand just fine. The monsters are only an allegory blah blah blah for blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda, so therefore the whole point of the story is Eph proving himself a worthy father because blodda blodda can I sneak in some punctuation and start a new sentence yet?

Me, I'm here for the show about ridiculously prepared old men fighting vampire Nazis alongside their wisecracking exterminator sidekicks while, for some reason nobody can quite figure out, people keep having Indian food delivered by luchadores. If they want me to care about F n Zach, they should try making that storyline interesting.

From a Watsonian standpoint, there is no reason for The Master (really? he still doesn't have a nickname?) to put so much effort into capturing Zach. The target is Eph, not some kid whose only skills are brooding, very close range knife throwing, and stealing cigarettes. So here's an idea: if the target if Eph, then for F's sake, why the F not just target effin Eph? If they get Zach, that will distract Eph from fighting them? Well, you know what else might distract Eph from fighting them? Killing him! And maybe killing the others as well, because there's a very pissed off old Jewish man out there who certainly isn't going to slow down the war over Eph n Zach.

Dracula rules don't apply, right? I mean, there isn't some magical force field stopping vampires from entering a home without an invitation? Well, then, here's an idea. Instead of wasting your time having Kelly and the spiderkids tiptoe around the windows and try to talk effin Zach into being a distraction to one, maybe two enemies... why not compel hundreds of Strigoi to destroy the place? How exactly did The Master work with the Germans in WW2 without learning about bombs and grenades and whatnot? How did he exist for millenia without wondering why sieges are no longer what they used to be? Hell, even if "what they used to be" was all he knew, do you seriously think those windows would stand up to a catapult or battering ram? Or... large truck full of explosives driven by one of the zombie mooks who was being compelled to sit there and hold his foot on the gas pedal? 

Eichorst alone should be easily capable of killing them all, now that the new address is known. I mean, they do teach something at Nazi University besides makeover tips, don't they? The Master should have been braintapping Kelly, and as soon as she knew the place, there should have been heavy backup charging in, whether she wanted them or not. What's the worst that happens? Zach dies, but so does the entire reason for wanting him in the first place? What, is Kelly gonna secede from the Team Master Strigoi Collective? I don't think they can actually do that.

The whole "get the son, and we can control the father," schtick makes about as much sense as using a shark tank with laser beams instead of just shooting someone.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 5

As entertained as I was by Eichorst dusting off all those beauty skills that he hasn't used since since his Goering-waxing days, I still just don't get why they're so gung-ho to get Zach. I mean, yeah, from a Doylist standpoint, I understand just fine. The monsters are only an allegory blah blah blah for blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda, so therefore the whole point of the story is Eph proving himself a worthy father because blodda blodda can I sneak in some punctuation and start a new sentence yet?

Coco engaging in any kind of sexual (or sexual adjacent) activity with Palmer is the creepiest shit on this mess of a show. I'm still praying she's undercover for . . . . someone. I refuse to believe she sexing up Palmer because she wants to.

No lies detected here. I hope she does have some kind of ulterior motive be it money or saving humanity. I don't think I could do it for either of those things. Gotta admit that in that scene where Palmer was basically telling Coco to mind her own damn business and she finally walked out on his ass, it was kinda hilarious the look on his face and distress in his voice when he called out to her "Coco?!?!?" Liked he was shocked she would be upset that he was yelling at her. He really is Mr. Burns.

Eichorst alone should be easily capable of killing them all, now that the new address is known. I mean, they do teach something at Nazi University besides makeover tips, don't they? The Master should have been braintapping Kelly, and as soon as she knew the place, there should have been heavy backup charging in, whether she wanted them or not. What's the worst that happens? Zach dies, but so does the entire reason for wanting him in the first place? What, is Kelly gonna secede from the Team Master Strigoi Collective? I don't think they can actually do that.

The whole "get the son, and we can control the father," schtick makes about as much sense as using a shark tank with laser beams instead of just shooting someone.

The show has made a point of saying time and time again that the Master sees through the eyes of all his minions right? Well, if he doesn't launch a full scale attack on where he knows at least one of his arch enemies is located than the Master and Eichorst (former Nazi) are total idiots.

Maybe Dutch's idiot girlfriend isn't so wrong to want to find a new place. 

Palmer and his assistant are gross and boring.  There's no chemistry between them, and Marchand is dull.  Their relationship is ridiculous and takes time away from vampire hunting, Eichhorst, etc.  I don't care if she's trying to honeypot him or whatever.  And I'm not watching The Strain to see Palmer lose his virginity.

This show picks the worst storylines to follow.  Gus hangs around an Indian restaurant; I would rather watch Gus being trained by Vaun.  This show brings new characters and creates new storylines.  Then, it drops them.  I assume that Gus will say goodbye to Angel et al. and never see them again.

I love how unflappable Eichhorst is. 

All jokes aside, things like getting Kelly made up, his visible disappointment at getting dissed thoroughly by The Master making me feel sympathy for him, and even his not quite genial but formal manner almost make me forget he's a Nazi with "expertise in the imprisonment and extermination of large groups of humans", a vampire and stone cold killer.

Kudos to Richard Sammel for making this character one of the more finely layered ones on the show.

I agree.  I can't believe that I am rooting for Eichhorst at times.  And there are times that I have sympathy for him.  The Eichhorst character could have been a stereotypical villian, but he's a very complex character.   

Abraham and Fet's relationship continues to be the best part of this show. 

Before all that, Eph finally tells Nora what happen in D.C., and she more or less reads between the lines about the affair.  I'm sure that will be addressed later.

I'm glad that Nora knows where she stands with Eph.  It seems like she was the only one in this relationship.  Move on, Nora.  Eph's likeable only when he's drunk. 

Ok, can someone tell me why Zach is so important? Like........why has The Master decided he's going to help Kelly find him?

I think that Zach is a way for the Master to get to Eph. 

As I watch Eph stumble through the vamp apocalypse, I have no idea why Eph is so important that the Master is trying to destroy him through his family.  At this point, Eph has given up on some bioweapon and is now trying to kill Palmer.  I'm going to assume that Eph didn't go to sharpshooter school. 

Zach needs to DIAF.  He keeps complaining about his mommy, but when she comes to get him, he hides while other people save his ass. (I haven't watched many episodes of The Walking Dead, but at what age did Carl start to kill walkers?)  This kid isn't a toddler.  He's seen vamp Kelly, and in this episode, he's seen her spiderkids. 

Edited by spaulding

Agree with all who are disgusted with the Palmer love interest angle. It is so cringe worthy, disgusting, and the opposite of sexy. There'd better be some good payoff for wasting so much time on this idiotic spectacle. I don't remember Coco's character from the first book (only one I could get through), but why in the hell are they devoting so much screen time to this BS?

Okay, I did not need to see Shirtless Palmer!

The bonus is we got to see some Coco nipple-age.

I understand that the Gupta father's fear of leaving all he has built. I am glad that he came to his senses. 

Papa Gupta doesn't get much sympathy from me.  Just a couple of days ago he made his daughter go on a delivery run that nearly got her killed.  Hell, she would've been if Gus and Angel hadn't accompanied her.  That should've been his wake up call that he needs to get his family to safety or at least stop taking risks in order to keep his business going.

Zach seemed so close to being a normal boy, at least as normal as any kid could be in these circumstances, when he was helping the surgery. I wonder if he will come too his senses too late.

I thought that was a nice bonding scene between Eph and Zach.  Not to mention very practical.  At first, I was like what an irresponsible parent Eph is for taking his son to an illegal gun deal.  However, these aren't normal times and the worst thing you can do to a child is coddle them during a crisis.  Having him help during the surgery was a good idea.

On a related note, they need to stay in touch with the boat dealer.  The guy is stocked better than most Wal-Marts.  

Ok, can someone tell me why Zach is so important? Like........why has The Master decided he's going to help Kelly find him? 

The Master seems to like to taunt and screw with people rather than just taking them out.  It's the only reason I imagine Setrakian has lived so long.

And for the love of my fucking sanity, show! Is New York a burning mess on fire or is it doing just fine? We've got vombies all over Brooklyn, but 5th Avenue was looking awesome when Fet and Abraham decided to rob the church. Seriously, you can't give me areal shots of burning buildings, shots of check points where cops are are scanning people for worms, plot lines where swat teams are designated to clear out buildings infested with vombies and also have a Cardinal getting ready for fancy fundraisers and shots of people in the middle of goddamn Manhattan where it appears to be so nice you could put it on a post card!

I agree so much with this.  I'm watching Fear the Walking Dead as well.  They're only a day into their apocalypse and the sense of chaos and fear is so much greater on that show.

Oh and why was there a strigoi in the minivan behind Kelly?  Obviously he wasn't driving and I'm assuming no one would be dumb enough to cart around a family member who had just been turned or at least without restraining them.  Was this part of some diversion to get Kelly through the checkpoint?

As for Palmer, I gotta say I enjoy the guy.  He's got the balls to stand up to Eichorst.  And he's crafty enough to have contingencies in place to deal with Strigoi attacks.

R.I.P. spider kids.  I'll miss your skittering and clicking.  And you were even cuter and had more personality than Zach.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 1

How can anyone named Coco be taken seriously? Eichorst is my favorite. The actor nails every scene

Richard Sammel, the gift that keeps on giving.

I'd love a scene, where Eichorst is in his Air BnB all mopey while listening to Morrissey, The Cure and Mary J. Blidge's My Life.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 2

Oh Zach, what an obnoxious kid.  His characters acts like the show is all about him and he seems oblivious that something else is wrong.   Example that no one mentioned...

Eph has a rifle around his shoulder and Zach says "What's that for?"....really, maybe let's think....um, oh yeah, there are crazed vampires running all over the city trying to kill us.   The sad thing is he isn't the only character to ask Eph that.  So did Nora.   Bad, bad writing.

And Nora makes a big deal about him telling her what happened on the train.  Who cares?  There are vampires running all over the city killing people.

And then Nora, in a Lifetime movie moment about Zach to Eph..."He's getting mixed signals from you.  You leave and he didn't want you to and then you don't even call him.....Hey Nora, he's trying to stop the vampire apocalypse.  Zach's feelings will have to wait.

All this family and relationship angst could be stricken from this show and it would be a lot better.

• Love 2

Thanks for this - a quick search and he has very nice blue eyes, speaks five languages and is having fun on twitter.  Eichorst, Fet and Setrakian were the MVPs this episode.

I kind of enjoyed the Gus/Quinlan meet up - "I'm Quinlan" "oh hi, Quinlan" LOL.  I like Gus being a little snarky instead of all mopey and tough guy. 

Jordan27, I'm not watching for relationship blather either but I understood Nora there - maybe if Eph wasn't such a shit, Zach wouldn't be thinking his mother is going to come back (and then he opens the door for her).  The writing and the acting for Zach are a total fail for me - we should be sympathizing with the kid but I just don't.  I do like Nora and her great hair - she needs more to do then sit around with that kid though.  Plus Eph seems to be around for Zach when it's convenient for him & because he thinks he has to, there's just not real concern shown.  I think Eph is intended to not be particularly likable, which is OK, but he's better when he's getting stuff done instead of just "imma gonna kill Palmer" yadda yadda.

What happened with their cure?  Is it out in the world?  I admit I don't always pay strict attention.  Shouldn't Nora be doing something to further that, or she could be working with Fet & Abraham.  Something better than babysitting.

Edited by raven

The most shocking thing about this episode is that they actually shot scenes in NYC - midtown no less.

I almost fell off the couch!

Out of all of the horrific things to happen on this show, Palmer getting laid is by far the most stomach-churning!

Heh, heh… I had to stop eating lunch.

I'd love a scene, where Eichorst is in his Air BnB all mopey while listening to Morrissey, The Cure and Mary J. Blidge's My Life.

High above a city in his smoking jacket with a glass of wine....

• Love 2