Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I wish Ashley answered more confidently. I know the answer is in a form of a question, but most times everyone sounds like they are making a statement and a lot of the time Ashley sound like she was questioning herself.

I was actively rooting against her because of that. Actually that and the giggle once she's told she's right.  Every.single.time.

Why were they all naming the category when there was only one remaining in the Jeopardy round?

Happy I got FJ. I figured the Tea Act would be too easy for FJ.

• Love 1

That no one got pinball machine was very strange. On the other hand, I didn't get ramen either. I just couldn't pull the word out of my head.

As for FJ, I said tea tax, though Stamp Act did enter my thoughts, but I didn't think that was right for some reason. I should have paid attention to my subconscious.

• Love 1

I found pinball and one of the other clues in that category to be surprising TS.

The pinball museum is not far from my house and I walked past it earlier today (though it was closed for New Year's Day), so I was SUPER excited to see that clue. Though it was sad nobody got it right. Not that I expected anyone would be familiar with the museum itself, but still, "recreational machines with flippers" -- what else could it be?

• Love 4

I'm ashamed to admit I first think of teeth when I hear "flipper." Yes, I was curious about Toddlers and Tiaras at one time.

I did figure out pinball machines though and I want to go to the museum!

• Love 2

I'm ashamed to admit I first think of teeth when I hear "flipper." Yes, I was curious about Toddlers and Tiaras at one time.

I never watched that. Do they call teeth 'flippers'? I've never heard that before.

• Love 1

I never watched that. Do they call teeth 'flippers'? I've never heard that before.

I haven't seen the show either but flippers are fake teeth that pop in and out. The use them on the kiddie pageant circuit to fill in for missing teeth but they make them for adults.

• Love 1

I was disappointed they didn't feature the Hot Dog Museum in Athens, OH.  There are display cases lining the walls of the back two dining rooms at O'Betty's Hot Dogs showcasing all things relating to hot dogs.  It's hilarious.

Or the Jell-o Museum in Leroy, New York. All about the history of Jell-o. Weirdly, their gift shop sells everything Jell-o related except actual Jell-o.

• Love 2

the only one that stood out was Frigg(a).

I answered "Freya" - oops.  I also said "scuba" for the flipper clue.  Yeah, I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't come up with anything else, and boy did I feel stupid when Alex revealed the answer.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

So I guess we won't get to all of the clues tomorrow either.

I had no idea about FJ. Can anyone tell me, is there something in general knowledge that I should have known that would have tipped me off to the fact that Reagan was President during the 100th Congress? Or is that one of those things that you either know or you don't.

The Sydney Opera House DD was too easy.

• Love 4

It took me a second on the Sydney Opera House, but then I had a "duh, of course" moment and got it just before the contestant did.

I had no clue for FJ, but as I said in a previous post, history isn't my strong suit -- even if I was there for it!

• Love 1

So I guess we won't get to all of the clues tomorrow either.

I had no idea about FJ. Can anyone tell me, is there something in general knowledge that I should have known that would have tipped me off to the fact that Reagan was President during the 100th Congress? Or is that one of those things that you either know or you don't.

The Sydney Opera House DD was too easy.

Well, at least they didn't show a picture. :)

For FJ you had to know what the year of the first Congress was and figure out who was President 200 years later.

• Love 3

For FJ you had to know what the year of the first Congress was

Exactly and that, I'm sorry to say, is what stumped me.

But moving onto stuff I do know, I got the Opera House and was surprised no one knew Sinclair Lewis even though the clue mentioned Babbit.

Wow, Yuban! That's a blast from the past but I still got it right away. I don’t know why they left that category for last. The combination of “YU” really narrows down the options nicely.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 2

Each Congressional "session" is two years, so the 100th Congress would have started 200 years after the first Congress...I always think 1789 rather than 1787, so I said GWH Bush rather than Reagan.

• Love 1

I'm glad Ashley's gone. Her constant questioning of herself was getting on my nerves. I liked Terry.

I wish they'd gotten through the Emmys:Men category instead of wasting time on that Marry category. Why do they continue with a category when none of them know any of the answers? Move on to something else!

I got Lincoln (BTW, Ashley, Pierre, S.D. is pronounced Peer), Yuban (my Dad's favorite coffee) and violin.

I got FJ but almost went with Carter.

• Love 3

I said Upton Sinclair for the Sinclair Lewis clue because I always, always get them confused.

I was ticked off that we didn't get through the Emmy category in round one. That's in my wheelhouse. It was a meh game to watch.

I got FJ by doing what the poster upthread mentioned. I figured it was whoever was president in the mid 1980s and got Reagan fairly quickly.

• Love 2

I think FJ was one of those questions that puts non-Americans at a pretty big disadvantage :P I have no idea what level of knowledge might be expected from the average American regarding knowing what session of Congress it is right now (or the year of the first Congress), so I can't even judge the difficulty of that question.

• Love 1

BMS---- Sutherland. Keifer or Donald?

Dame Joan.

I missed today's show. My next door neighbor came over to have a mental breakdown in my living room.  Her mom finally came over & then called the cops to get her the hell out of my condo.  I'm so sorry to see someone have mental problems like that.

• Love 2

Each Congressional "session" is two years, so the 100th Congress would have started 200 years after the first Congress...I always think 1789 rather than 1787, so I said GWH Bush rather than Reagan.

1789 is actually right.  The 100th Congress started 198 years after the first.  I did the same thing - counted 200 years from 1789 and came up with 1989 and GWH Bush.  I realized at the last second that 1989 was the 101st Congress so I quickly changed to Reagan but probably couldn't have made the switch in writing in time.

Ashley grew on me. I disliked her at first because I thought the second chance after the Apollo 11 FJ was a bit bogus but she seemed to be having fun.  Not that it mattered, but she never did learn how to bet from second place in FJ.

I missed today's show. My next door neighbor came over to have a mental breakdown in my living room.  Her mom finally came over & then called the cops to get her the hell out of my condo.  I'm so sorry to see someone have mental problems like that.

Dang! I hope she's okay.

But moving onto stuff I do know, I got the Opera House and was surprised no one knew Sinclair Lewis even though the clue mentioned Babbit.

Wow, Yuban! That's a blast from the past but I still got it right away. I don’t know why they left that category for last. The combination of “YU” really narrows down the options nicely.

I didn't get FJ either. I foolishly thought of 1876. But I did know that Sinclair Lewis created Babbitt and that Micawber was in David Copperfield. I also figured out A Comedy of Errors from the wording of the DD clue.

Yuban Coffee still exists, although I remember it chiefly from the "Richness worth a second cup" ads from the 70's.

I also was disappointed that the Emmy category in the first round was barely touched, and that the DJ "Emmy: The Women" was about women named Emmy instead of female Emmy winners.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5
I said Upton Sinclair for the Sinclair Lewis clue because I always, always get them confused.
Me, too! I call them Upton Sinclair Lewis. And Dylan McDermot Mulroney--two actors I can't keep straight.

I counted backwards to get the Congress question, too.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

I grew up in Miami and can remember when Yuban first came to our market.  We all thought it was some sort of play on Cuban coffee, but decades later, I read that it came from being a seasonal coffee (for Christmas) called YUletide BANquet.  Go figure.

• Love 3

The year of the first Congress completely confused me too.

The Babbit clue lead to my eternal dilemma: Sinclair Lewis or Upton Sinclair.  I knew it had to be one of them, but I never remember which one wrote what, so I didn't even try.

• Love 1

I think FJ was one of those questions that puts non-Americans at a pretty big disadvantage :P I have no idea what level of knowledge might be expected from the average American regarding knowing what session of Congress it is right now (or the year of the first Congress), so I can't even judge the difficulty of that question.

Well, I had no idea, and history is generally a good category area for me.  I imagine the average American had no idea whatsoever.  It was a pretty difficult question.

I've never heard of Yuban coffee in my life so I was totally stumped on that.

My local grocery store actually carries it, but I struggled to drag the name out of my brain.

I said Upton Sinclair for the Sinclair Lewis clue because I always, always get them confused

I'm so glad to find out that I'm not the only one!

I'm annoyed that the "If they Married" category was based on the assumption that women take the last name of their husband's.

I found it really amusing myself.  I got all but one of them (Princess Cruz).

• Love 1

I have no idea what level of knowledge might be expected from the average American regarding knowing what session of Congress it is right now

I can't think of any reason why anyone would know which Congress it is - its really not an important fact unless you are in the business.  I happen to know because its my job (I work in a union's legislative office in Washington DC). 

I'm a little surprised that none of them knew David Copperfield just because if its Dickens and something autobiographical, most likely its from David Copperfield.

• Love 4

I got all but one of them (Princess Cruz).

That was the only one I did get!

TS's I got were Yuban and Brown Bomber.  I also got A Comedy of Errors, which was a DD that the contestant did not get.

I had no idea on FJ.  I guessed JFK, just to have something to say but wasn't surprised it was wrong.

Congrats to Terry on his win.

• Love 1

My dimwit wife and dimwit I both said Ford (1776-1976) at the same time.

I didn't know who most of the people in the Marry category were even after the oh-so-funny clues were explained.  Except Farrah/Cahn and oh really?

• Love 2

I liked the Marry category, but I didn't get any of them. My brain was working too slowly.

Someone here had given me a way to remember who was Sinclair Lewis and who was Upton Sinclair, but now I've forgotten it.

I did get Comedy of Errors from the clue.

I didn't know FJ. I was thinking sessions of Congress were 4 years. Still, I just took a WAG and said Clinton.

I like Terry.

• Love 2

I didn't know who most of the people in the Marry category were even after the oh-so-funny clues were explained.

I was mostly just impressed they had finally managed to create a worse category than "Stupid Answers".  

• Love 4

I'm a little surprised that none of them knew David Copperfield just because if its Dickens and something autobiographical, most likely its from David Copperfield.

True that David Copperfield was semi-autobiographical, but Dr. Manette in A Tale of Two Cities and Mr. Dorritt in Little Dorritt are also partly based on Dickens's father.

I was mostly just impressed they had finally managed to create a worse category than "Stupid Answers".  

The only really annoying thing to me about "Stupid Answers" is the "dummy" voice AT uses when announcing the category.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2

I'm halfway through the episode and while I like Steve, the answer of Kennedy should absolutely 100% have required a BMS. If they aren't going to ask for it on THAT, when there are three possible answers, then they should never ask for a BMS again.

• Love 10

I'm halfway through the episode and while I like Steve, the answer of Kennedy should absolutely 100% have required a BMS. If they aren't going to ask for it on THAT, when there are three possible answers, then they should never ask for a BMS again.

Totally agree!

Also on the Marsalis answer, Wynton has musical siblings.  And, I think Alex said Wynston instead of Wynton.

My mind was totally blank on FJ but it was  headsmack answer.

• Love 8

I didn't hear Wynston, but I agree there should have been a BMS prompt. (Kit Marsalis!)

I was about to say that I didn't think Terry's "Man on the Moon" should have been accepted. I always thought the movie and song were "Man in the Moon," but apparently "on" is correct.

• Love 4

There were five possible answers. You're forgetting Kit and Carson Kennedy.

I'm not sure if I like Steve or not. He's smart, picks and answers clues quickly, but there's something off-putting about him.

FJ was pretty easy after I stopped overthinking it.

• Love 2

I think I yelled Be More Specific a few times today. Didn't he say Franklin as well, or something like that?

I like the new champ. We actually cleared a board today. And I love that he hit the college nickname category early.

The middle contestant's FJ wager was odd, although it didn't matter. She didn't even bet enough to cover the ex-champ. Wagering has been strange all season.

• Love 2

I think I yelled Be More Specific a few times today. Didn't he say Franklin as well, or something like that?

He sure did. Accepting Kennedy and Marsalis was just ridiculous. 

I took too much satisfaction in overconfident Alex missing that first DD. I'm glad Steve won.

• Love 4