Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think you mean his Travel Advisoring Store  (Travel Advisory has a whole different meaning.)  He was such an asshat!

I forget where he was from, but it was someplace I picture as so colorless that when he was introduced I figured his travel advice would be "Get the hell out of here, pronto.  Really, go anywhere".

• Love 1

I forget where he was from, but it was someplace I picture as so colorless that when he was introduced I figured his travel advice would be "Get the hell out of here, pronto.  Really, go anywhere".

Yeah, try New Mexico.

Poor Damien, I really felt for him.  But his tie was too wide and too short so I'm not surprised he didn't do well. I was shouting Pecos! Pecos! at him but he didn't hear me.

Triple stumpers I got were O'Hare airport which I thought was a surprising TS, and Zuni, possibly more.

Apparently I had no idea where the Horn of Africa is but now I do.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Damien and his too-short tie, but they were all coming out with some pretty bad guesses. And what's with at least one category spotting you the first letter or the last three letters of the answers? It seems every Jeopardy round has at least one of those. And why don't people go to it first? My 10-year-old and I were shouting "Pick 'oon'"! I think it's dumbing down, but I would definitely go for it first.

• Love 5

Djibouti was pretty easy for a FJ question. In what language is the first letter of Ivory Coast silent??

I hang my head in shame for failing to get it, because I love saying Djibouti whenever I see or hear the name.  I tried to run through the names of the countries on the Horn, and didn't get to the correct one in time.  But yeah, Ivory Coast?????

• Love 2

I was saddened that nobody knew Zuni. Gallup, New Mexico was depressing when I drove through so I can accept that one being a TS.

I stayed at a really cool hotel in Gallup in 1997, so I knew it right away.  (The hotel was chosen for it's proximity to AZ and the Navajo reservation, but yeah, the town itself isn't exactly a tourist destination.)

I think I got all the TSs - except I didn't get 127 Hours but I can't remember if that was a stumper or not.

• Love 2

And oh, Damien.  Maybe it's the name.  The Exorcist, The Omen, leprosy, and now this.  Do not name your child Damien, that's my advice.

Ouch! None for you, Gretchen Wieners. (I kind of agree, but I like Damian in Mean Girls.)

When Alex said "gorillas, or monkeys" I thought, wait a minute, the clue said "these primates." So basically she could have said ANY primate and gotten credit?

I wonder. For what it's worth, the zoo's page about it only mentions monkeys, and I looked at several news articles about it as well--only monkeys. That zoo does have gorillas, though, and they probably don't eat many bananas because it's not healthy for them either, but if you are going to have to accept many different answers (that zoo also has orangutans and gibbons; what about them?), maybe re-word the clue or don't use it at all. And the way Alex said it made it sound like gorillas are monkeys, which a lot of people believe already. Ugh.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4
Triple stumpers I got were O'Hare airport which I thought was a surprising TS,

I loved this question because when I was a kid, we saw Kennedy coming down the expressway after the O'Hare dedication (of course, I didn't know who he was or why he was on the expressway until later, when I looked it up). Our minivan was coming home from nursery school and some guy flagged us down and talked to the driver. We kids all got out and lined up along the expressway bridge, and pretty soon a motorcade came by. The nice blond man waved to us and we waved back. I remember being so very impressed that his big black car had two - TWO! - American flags on it. After his assassination, the expressway was renamed the Kennedy.

That was one question I knew immediately. ;-)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 6

What everyone else said. Plus, Trebek OVER PRONOUNCES every foreign word to such an extent that they can become practically unrecognizable. Go back some pages here and there is a link to a hilarious video of just that, Trebek over-pronouncing words interspersed with clips of contestants bugging their eyes at his interruptions. Trebek is so pompous, he deserves to be dogged.

I would say it's especially the overpronunciation of loan words like (my personal favorite) genre. When speaking English, you don't have to say that word in French!!

• Love 2

I started looking thru that link but didn't see why she chose 88. (I associate it only with piano keys.)

I think her explanation was that she said 88 in reference to Back to the Future.  Kind of interesting how her mind worked, there. 

• Love 1
But yeah, Ivory Coast?

I guess taking a wild stab is better than writing "What is .... ?" Sometimes pigs do fly.

Trey beat me to it, discovering Trebek posting on this thread!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Wow, the number and variety of TS was really painful.  I lost track of how many I got.  Not sure how they cleared the board with all the time lost standing around like deer in the headlights.

I like Nikki's husband, too -- he was a cute kid back then, and he's pretty easy on the eyes now.  Nikki's response to Alex about his career was great.  I'm sorry she lost, but of the two contenders, I'm glad the girl won.

And despite having several relatives who attended Vandy, I couldn't come up with it for anything.  Possibly because we/they always referred to it as Vandy instead of Vanderbilt. 

• Love 4

Jeopardy has had so many clues on colleges/universities in the US, and since I don't live in the US I have never ever got a single one of those questions right. But, I knew FJ immediately - I would have wagered nothing, and would have been completely unsurprised if my answer was wrong, but I knew Vanderbilt was named after a rich guy and apparently that was good enough. I'd never heard of Carnegie-Mellon, which also probably helped.

I liked the returning champ and am sad to see her go, but I also like the woman who won.

• Love 2

Wow, what happened?  When the show started, it seemed so good - 3 pleasant contestants, (semi) interesting annecdotes - but then, ugh.

Those TSs were just horrendous - I stopped remembering them out of self preservation, so my head didn't explode.  I guess, perhaps, I prefer good but obnoxious contestants to pleasant, ignorant ones who were obviously playing cautiously (ie, not to lose, not to win).

I liked the eventual winner, except she's guilty of my #1 pet peeve - saying the whole name of the category.  I don't even know why it bugs me so much, since they did pretty much clear each board.

• Love 4

This episode is pretty much erased from my memory already. And I was working during the interviews, listening with only one half of one ear. Who is Nikki's husband?

It's a historic day when I don't have anything more than that to post here. Geesh. 

What was the story about the new champ's arm in a sling?

I did hear that. Trebek asked her about it and she said she "hurt her elbow." End of story.

Edited by saber5055

Nikki's husband is Paris Themmon, the guy who played Mike Teevee in the original (and only, in my opinion) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I thought the new champ said she broke her elbow.  Maybe if Alex had asked about it during the interview instead of before the game started, she might have given more details. 

• Love 3

I just was getting used to Nikki and found her funny this episode! Like her, I chose Carnegie. (I didn't know Vanderbilt had a University, but I did get into trouble as a kid for riding  my bike to the Observatory.) The TS's I recall getting were Keanu, "Times that try men's souls", not "hearts", and the obvious visual that Alex is indeed Mephistopheles! (Happy Halloween, Y'all!)

• Love 1

I don't mean this as a brag, since clearly many of you were in the same boat, but it's kind of a sad commentary on the game when you would have won solely from the TS's that you got. 

• Love 6

Since I couldn't control myself, and read this thread before I watched, I counted the TS. There were 9 in J and a whopping 14 in DJ.

I couldn't believe Truckin', Blue Diamond, abstract, Caruso, "Try men's souls" and venue were TS. I got a few others, too.

I thought the Madam Butterfly DD was too easy.

I would have answered Carnegie-Mellon for FJ.

• Love 8

My FJ guess was Stanford. 

From Wikipedia:

Stanford was founded in 1885 by Leland Stanford, former Governor of and U.S. Senator from California and leading railroad tycoon, and his wife, Jane Lathrop Stanford,

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

Carnegie was the first thing I thought of but moved onto Vanderbilt right away. The amount of silence in DJ was astounding. Did they all watch Damien flame out in the previous game and decide not to risk answering anything?

• Love 3

I don't mean this as a brag, since clearly many of you were in the same boat, but it's kind of a sad commentary on the game when you would have won solely from the TS's that you got. 

I was astounded at how low the scores were near the end of DJ.  I got FJ and many of the TSs, but also want extra credit for remembering that the proper definition of track and field event judges is "These are the souls that time men's tries".

• Love 6

Since I couldn't control myself, and read this thread before I watched, I counted the TS. There were 9 in J and a whopping 14 in DJ.

I'm so glad you counted. At the end of the game I was thinking it had to be some kind of record.

I guessed Carnegie-Mellon for FJ. Vanderbilt totally slipped my mind.

• Love 1
I was astounded at how low the scores were near the end of DJ.

Because I work while Jeopardy is on and I only "sorta" watch and listen, when I looked up and saw the scores, I thought that was the end of the J round, so was pretty amazed when Alex announced the FJ category. 

Does anyone know the lowest scores (dollar amounts) ever going into FJ? Was yesterday a record-setter for non answers? I do think Damien put a curse on contestant row.

A Jeopardy rerun is shown here an hour before the current episode. When I saw the FJ category, I swear I had seen that category/answer before so, for a minute there, thought I was watching the rerun. Talk about a time warp.

BOO! you guys!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

It's interesting here to find out who thinks what is "too easy!"

Exactly, it's "too easy" to forget that my knowledge base is different from other people's. I was yelling at the TV during a DD, "If you don't know what a portmanteau is, you should NOT BE IN THIS CATEGORY!" But if you can't be a judgmental bitch when you watch Jeopardy!, when CAN you? ;)

• Love 6

I'd never heard of Carnegie-Mellon, which also probably helped.

Wow!  I was surprised that everyone went for Carnegie Mellon.  Which happens to be The Wild Boar's employer, as well as my Dad's, brother's, SIL's, & nephew's  alma mater!  So, I can say I know a little bit about it ;-)

1873 is quite a bit too early - it was founded in 1900.  And until 1967, when it merged with Mellon Institute, it was Carnegie Tech!  I remember Dad - who wore a Carnegie Tech Tartan tie every day of his life  http://bookstore.web.cmu.edu/StoreImages/106-1350016-1.jpg - bringing home T-shirts for all us kids with the new name & "University" status that year.  Dad, BTW, graduated from high school in 1939 & college in 1949.  WWII in between.

I got Vanderbilt.  I remember reading some history of the Panic of 1873 when I was a teenager, and it stuck with me (up till then, I'd only heard of the Great Depression that so shaped my parents' childhoods, & was surprised to learn that there were other depressions in the history of America.)  I remember Vanderbilt was involved in that one, so the name & year stuck in my mind.

LOL, history lesson over!

• Love 5

I went to "richest American", couldn't think of a university named for J.P. Morgan, thought about Carnegie libraries (bless his memory) and got to Carnegie Mellon, then thought that was too obscure for this show lately, barely spared a thought for Stanford, and landed on Vanderbilt.

• Love 1

I couldn't believe Truckin', Blue Diamond, abstract, Caruso, "Try men's souls" and venue were TS. I got a few others, too.

I thought the Madam Butterfly DD was too easy.

I would have answered Carnegie-Mellon for FJ.

The only one I wouldn't have gotten was Truckin' - I know the song, but had no idea that was the name of it.  (Not a Dead fan.)  I loved the opera costume category and would've run it.  And, being something of a purist: it's Madama Butterfly, damn it.

I could only think of Carnegie-Mellon as well.

• Love 2

Exactly, it's "too easy" to forget that my knowledge base is different from other people's. I was yelling at the TV during a DD, "If you don't know what a portmanteau is, you should NOT BE IN THIS CATEGORY!" But if you can't be a judgmental bitch when you watch Jeopardy!, when CAN you? ;)

Totally.  My dream FJ comes from a quartet of Medievel History, Art, Science Fiction or Opera, but I got Inventors, ugh.  And yet, for those whose knowledge base includes lots of science, technology or medicine, it probably was an instaget.

• Love 2

It's interesting if you look at those match-ups, the producers have clearly set them in a seeding, as in an athletic tournament.  If you look at the regular game money winnings for the last year, https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/tournament-tracker  the top 5 players each get the leftmost position on a first week game.  The next 5 money winners each get a middle position, and the bottom 4 and teacher tournament winner each get a rightmost position.

I guess this is fair, and it increases the chances that the winningest regular season contestants have a better shot of making it to the semi-finals.