Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Top 8 Perform + Elimination

• Start Topic

Aug 20 sean cheesman
‏@cheesmansean
I get to work with one of my favorite allstars this week yay!!!!!!!! #sytycd

DWTS 360 ‏@DWTS360  Aug 20
#SYTYCD choreographers for Monday (so far): @JMGenereux #RayLeeper @krystalmeraz @_Pharside

Edited by crowceilidh

Do we know that it's the same group of Allstars throughout?:

Jasmine Harper ‏@Dance10JasmineH  6m6 minutes ago
today is monday, & you know what that means

who's watching tonight???

Twitch has put up a couple of instagrams of the street dancers (at least JaJa and Neptune) freestyling at rehearsals for the group number (I'm guessing what they were doing).  Note Fikshun is in Neptune's instagram:

https://instagram.com/p/6wPFxTw6BN/

JaJa:

https://instagram.com/p/6xNvvnQ6P3/

• Love 1

All stars for this week:

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/sytycd-12-top-8-and-all-stars-revealed-tour-jlo-prize-announced.htm

From article:

Next week’s All-Stars include: Comfort Fedoke (Season Four), Jaimie Goodwin (Season Three), Jasmine Harper (Season 10), Paul Karmiryan (Season 10), Kayla Radomski (Season Five), Robert Roldan (Season Seven), Du-Shaunt “Fik–Shun” Stegall (Season 10) and Ricky Ubeda (Season 11)

• Love 2
Stephen tWitch Boss ‏@official_tWitch  4m4 minutes ago

How should @traviswall and I leave the danceonfox stage today? Help us out!!!

comfortfedokeYOU ENJOYED MY LAST WEEKS PARTNERSHIP???! YOUR IN FOR ANOTHER TREAT THIS WEEK

Jean Marc Genereux ‏@JMGenereux  3h3 hours ago

@DANCEonFOX TONIGHT LUuuuTHEEERR BROWNNNN!!! And FiiiiiiiKKKK SHUN

YAY!!!!! I love Luther Brown.  JMG is also on if the instagrams are anything to go by.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 2

Paul, I love him. Too bad he didnt get another partner, it might have been incredible.

God I want to have Roberts babies. Don't tell my husband.

Edited by Watt
  • Love 4

Why did Tyce have to come back? We were doing so well without him. The whole Addams Family look in the opening number seemed a little overly specific and as soon as they started that boring, cliche filled number I knew it had to be him. All concept, no content: Classic Tyce. Ditto his "reaching and yearning" routine for Derek. It was fine and I thought Derek and Jaimie did a good job with it, but we've seen it all dozens of times before.  I'll be perfectly happy if we never hear another choreographer explain that their dance is about some kind of unhealthy romance/bad break up ever again. 

Virgil can come off a little try hard, but I just like him so much! And Jim's solo was one of my favorites in a long time. It's so hard to do anything interesting in the super-short amount of time they get, but that was gorgeous. Unlike Derek's solo. You'd think dancers who grew up watching this show would know not to throw every move they know into 30 seconds. It just looks like desperate flailing. I think that's where we really see the difference between a more mature, professional dancer like Jim and someone who still has a way to go in his development like Derek.  (That said, I don't dance, so what the hell do I know?)

The biggest issue for me tonight was the number of dancers who had to go way outside their own style.  Megz and Jim in particular looked uncomfortable during their choreographed routines. I know we've gone over the whole "Stage vs. Street" conceit a lot already, but I can't help wondering what this season would have been if everyone had only danced in their own styles (or at least stayed within "stage" and "street") and every dance was executed at a relatively high level. Would that have made it better or worse?

• Love 5

Noooo I'm so mad to lose Neptune :(

I was so happy to see my boyfriend, er I mean, Paul again, but that Paso Doble was a real stinker.

Kinda meh episode. Loved the Tessandra Chavez group and the Luther Brown hip hop though.

• Love 3

I would have preferred it if they used a transparent blindfold for Jim I think. That can't have been easy. Loved his solo. Gabby too.

I wasn't as enamoured of the Hailee and Jaja numbers. Couldn't really take my eyes off Fik shun in the one, and Jaja seemed to dance heavy in the other.

Virgil did well he looked so teeny though.

Sad to see Neptune go, although he wasn't all that great in this number. Flat feet?

Megz seems to have reached her limit. She looks tired. Or something

• Love 2

I was so happy to see my boyfriend, er I mean, Paul again, but that Paso Doble was a real stinker.

MY boyfriend!  (We 5th grade now)

I also thought Paso was a wasted routine on these two as well. Paul has the most magnetic smile ever, I wish the dance could have been cha cha or viennese waltz so I can stare at the smile again. Although I'm not sure if Megz could pull off cha cha either, let alone waltz.

JaJa's number was so light and fluffy you could have made meringue with it.  They're never gonna challenge her, are they?

Megz was P O'd during her critique.  Nigel kept going on and on and on in insults.

Neptune is very handsome and  NICE BODY. (caps turned on automatically and i see no reason to edit!)

If Gaby doesn't win it all there;s no justice.  However Hailee always gives it all she's got too.

• Love 3

I really hoped after Megz ballroom parents reveal last week, she'd be stronger. I don't know who left could have pulled off a Paso, but her shoulders were a mess. Neptune was nice this week too.

So thrilled Derek is gone. He was just blank to me. He could not connect with his partners and his solos were just the worst. Slow down, breathe, listen to the music. He just doesn't have the musicality of a great dancer.

Jaja's dance was so cute. She may not have the technique, but her face is something out of a silent movie. Hailee also really knows how to sell it and connects to the music in a very real way. 

Gaby is top of the class right now in my eyes. It seems like she can do anything. Virgil too. I feel like they're our final two.

That group stage number had nothing to do with the story. The addiction/unhealthy stuff Tessandra described did not come through at all. It felt way too happy and joyous. I did love the street number. Its hot, lets dance! Sometimes the less you make of a dance the more successful it will be. Every street cut hurts. I could still lose Jim before I'm sad on the stage side. His solo was wonderful, but that hip hop was the worst of the night.

• Love 4

Sooo bummed about Neptune. He didn't deserve this.

Jim's solo was incredible. I gasped, and I'd just mowed the lawn and didn't have much gasp left in me. And I liked his routine with Comfort. So much better than his attempt at hip hop as Megz' back up dancer. Derek's solo would have been much, much better if he'd slowed it down. Lots of gorgeous moves but they were too high speed. JaJa had the best female solo, I think, with Gaby coming in close second. Or they tie for first.

The Team Street dance was awesome. So great to have really good street dancers all working together at once at something that isn't about pointed toes and feeling your feelings in a deeply felt way.  Speaking of, I rolled my eyes when the concept of the Team Stage dance was discussed. Really? Couples? And deep feelings? Breaking new ground every week guys.

Edited by beeble
  • Love 6

Through almost the entire opening routine I kept wondering why they dressed one of the boys in drag and then I realized that it was actually Megz. Seriously, she was terrible in that dance. There's a point where the camera does a close up and she's trying to look menacing but she looks so goofy I laughed out loud.

I also thought she was awful in the Paso. I would loved to have seen Gabby or Hailee dance with Paul instead because I felt his sexiness was totally wasted.

Anyway, I thought Derek's dance could have been amazing because Stevie Wonder and Jamie Goodwin are made of awesomeness but yet again he has zero chemistry with his partner. I do give him props though for doing his solo to a song called Two men in Love.

Jim's hop hop routine was a hot mess. His dancing was fine but the concept of the dance was stupid and his costume was so distracting.

Virgil's home movie was adorable. I especially loved his kid and play move.

I'm sorry to see Neptune leave. I actually liked his dance with Kayla tonight.

Did Jason really tell Jim to work on being a natural person?

Lastly, we need more ballroom just so I can see Paul's beautiful face every week.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 2

I thought a lot of the costuming was poor tonight.  Jaime and Derek looked WAY better in rehearsals than in costume.  Who said to themselves, let's put Derek in beige?  Also his costume in the opening number was the least flattering to the dancer of all the costumes in that number.

JaJa's costume was also pretty unflattering considering the possibilities.

Virgil was nearly swallowed by Jasmine's dress several times.

The Paso was good music, great choreo, great costuming, great concept (and I often don't like JMG) and great partner.  Megz was bad and Paul could not dance down to her level.

Gaby and Robert were very physically suited to each other.  Man, I thought Robert was pretty fine looking in his season, but the man is smoking hot now.  I find it hard to look at him he's so gorgeous.

Could the jidges telegraph more clearly that they know the results?

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 3

I am finding that I'm more interested in what Derulo has to say than the other two jidges.  I find this surprising.

JaJa must be raking in the votes because that routine was super light (Ricky did WAY more work than she did) and I was surprised by the unanimous gushing.

• Love 1

Haylee is bugging me. It's been a couple of weeks now that she bugs a lot.

I hope she goes before Jim.

So top 4 ...Gaby, Virgil, Jaja and..?

Top 2... Will Jaja beat out Virgil? And Gaby probably if they're still going stage And street at that point

• Love 1

Based on versatility so far, I would've sent Megz home before Neptune, though I really like them both. As silly as the "stories" are, I thought Neptune had a great stage presence and was believable in those roles. I doubt either would make top 4, so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Jaja was cute in her characterization but I thought her technique deserved a little more critiquing. I didn't spot any of the goldfish-gulping-for-air mouth motions in any of her group or individual routines, so that's progress. I wonder about Ricky being able to appear, since On the Town runs through September.

Since so many of both sides of the competition are cross-trained, I have to give Megz credit for being as versatile as she has been so far. She is one of the few who truly can be said is learning on-the-job. That used to count for something. I like all the remaining dancers, so I don't or won't feel outrage if she's eliminated next week. She should be proud of her work to this point. I've never thought Paul was more than just competent even in his own genre, so the paso doble was a failure on both sides for me. I will applaud his effort to tone down that annoyingly ever-present smile. He is on that list with Lauren G., Jose, Fik-shun, and Cyrus who all seemed almost unable to manage their uncontrollable grins. Virgil might be this season's version of that.

For me, Gaby is a front-runner, but I worry about how voters will react to the praise she's getting. Voters are a fickle bunch and Virgil has that cutie-patootie glowing smile as his advantage. I wouldn't be surprised with a Virgil win.

Jasmine owned her number. I am more impressed with her with every appearance.

Something about Jim's physique bothers me. With his long torso and thin legs, it looks like a fellow dancing with four arms rather than legs and arms. His abilities in his own specialty are undeniable, though. I feel they've been harsher on him on his out-of-genre dances than they have been with others. I love his sweet spirit, too.

Finally, someone referenced in a much earlier thread that Nigel may be leaving the show. I have a sick feeling that Travis and Twitch are being groomed to take over if that happens. Twitch, I can tolerate. However, seeing Travis the primary seat would inspire me to fianlly follow through with my occasional threats of "never watching this show again". 

Edited by RFH

Hailee bugs me too.  But she's one of the only ones who gives me something to latch onto in terms of personality, so...I try not to be as bugged.  

I really liked the Paso.  I don't care whether it was technically correct or whatever, I enjoy Megz and I enjoyed that routine.  I thought she was going home based on the comments from the judges but apparently not (not quite done airing here, I took a break after her critique).  I'm admittedly biased in her favor because she and Jaja are the only two I don't feel like I've seen several times before.  

Speaking of bias- seeing Tyce put me in a mood, because I was waiting for something annoying.  Thought it was weird that the guys had distinct outfits in the beginning but the girls seemed all uniform.  And I fast forwarded through most of his contemporary, which I felt validated in doing when I saw her walk off slowly at the end (is there no other way to wrap up a contemporary duo?).  I also felt supported by the audience who seemed to need to be prompted 3 times before giving him a tepid round of applause.

A 70 city tour?  

I want to see Paula do a show like "Dance Moms."  Fik-Shun is the only contestant who doesn't look grown up upon his return. 

Oh wait, they're going after Neptune with comments about training too?  I guess rationally I get it, but at the same time...they set up the season this way so I don't want to hear it.  Or at least I want it to feel like the "you have no connection" comments are just as harsh as the "your lack of technique is showing."  Or, y'know, offer some damn classes in between casting and the live shows.  Or at least don't preface it with "I didn't think you'd last this long."  Who the hell did you think would make it, Nigel?

That just hit me the wrong way, but it's Monday and Tyce was there so I'm probably a little off.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 3

Speaking of bias- seeing Tyce put me in a mood, because I was waiting for something annoying.  Thought it was weird that the guys had distinct outfits in the beginning but the girls seemed all uniform.  And I fast forwarded through most of his contemporary, which I felt validated in doing when I saw her walk off slowly at the end (is there no other way to wrap up a contemporary duo?).

Most of the contemporary dances on this show is centered around angst. A relationship gone wrong, a couple broken up, another couple stayed together but it's not working, couple torn apart by military duties or some bullshit illness... etc etc. Naturally that lends itself to a lot "walking away".

Shit like this is why I long for simple fun dance like Boogie Shoes. Not every fucking dance have to have some overwrought tragic sob story, koragrafers!  There can be happy contemporary dances where the couple simply enjoy spending time together ala Edge of Glory.

• Love 14

Oh wait, they're going after Neptune with comments about training too?  I guess rationally I get it, but at the same time...they set up the season this way so I don't want to hear it.  Or at least I want it to feel like the "you have no connection" comments are just as harsh as the "your lack of technique is showing."  Or, y'know, offer some damn classes in between casting and the live shows.  Or at least don't preface it with "I didn't think you'd last this long."  Who the hell did you think would make it, Nigel.

I kinda equate the 'lack of training' comments for the street dancers, to the 'not in the pocket/groove' 'be a natural person' (thanks Jason) comments to the stage dancers. Although it does seem like the stage dancers tend to get more of a pass for their inadequacies than the street dancers. I also didn't care for Nigel's comment to Neptune to get more formal training. I doubt Neptune's wants to be a classical trained dancer, his goal is to entertain and be a hip hop dancer. He never tells the stage dancers to take more hip hop classes to increase their dance skills.

• Love 3

I find it amazing that Nigel would tell Megz of the fab abs that she needs to work on her core. Every time I watch this show I think "I *will* do sit-ups every commercial break!" (emphasis on "think"), but yes, her posture wasn't right.

Whatever they did with Jim's hair for his solo, that was the best he's looked. Ballet men...just love 'em.

Bummed about Neptune, but wasn't too surprised.

I'm really glad Hailee (don't have the spelling down yet) had a year to mature before becoming a contestant. I think she's special, though I understand how she could bug.

Ricky's filled out some and looks less gangly, a good thing. He's just getting better and better, and Jaja was adorable with him. (BTW, I can't imagine studying law in what's not my mother tongue. Go Jaja!)

It was weird in the two group routines that wee Virgil kept ending up in back. Poor guy...they just keep mentioning his height.

Forgot to mention that I'd really like to see Gaby win. Has she shown weakness yet?

Edited by Electruck
  • Love 1

JaJa must be raking in the votes because that routine was super light (Ricky did WAY more work than she did) and I was surprised by the unanimous gushing.

Haven't seen the show yet, but had to address the fact that Ricky did that with his partner for more than half of last season (Valerie), so maybe it's ingrained by now.  ;-)

<full disclosure - NOT a Valerie fan. Talk about incessant, inane smiling! Zack wuz robbed - at least of the #2 spot.>

• Love 6

For me Gaby's weakness is that she's hard to remember.  When they announced that Hailee was in the bottom 2 I struggled to think of who the other safe person on that team was, and I don't think I ever did recall her name.  She's good, though.  I think of all the tappers we've seen she picks the best music for solos.

I wish we'd get more stage vs. street directly.  I said that a couple weeks ago, and I'd probably be bitching if they beat it into the ground, but I feel like the show needs a punch of energy that could come from a battle.  The team routines were both a little blah for my taste, which is kind of my feeling about most of the routines this season (they lack any kind of punch).

So is next week the dance finale?  Or are they taking it down to an actual final 2 face off (how in the heck would they fill all that time?)?

For me Gaby's weakness is that she's hard to remember.  When they announced that Hailee was in the bottom 2 I struggled to think of who the other safe person on that team was, and I don't think I ever did recall her name.  She's good, though.  I think of all the tappers we've seen she picks the best music for solos.

She is not hard for me to remember, she has been my favorite from the beginning.   

• Love 5

I love this show, but this season just seems kind of lackluster to me overall.  I don't think it's necessarily because of the dancers.  I think the choreography has been mostly sub-par this season.  I seem to remember in previous seasons being wowed by several routines each week, but this season there have been several weeks where there were no 'wow' routines (at least for me) and several other weeks where there was maybe 1 or 2 routines that I thought were really good.  This season it seems like most of them are fairly forgettable.  Not to say that they're bad exactly, but they just don't grab me and make me sit up and watch and say something like "that was fantastic or amazing or incredible" after they're done.  I liked Ricky and Jaja's routine, but if the choreographer hadn't told me they were going to jail and wanted one last dance, I would not have known until the very end when they brought out the handcuffs.  Even then I might have just gone WTF?  I liked the paso choreography but not the execution.  Gaby's routine with Robert was the best of the night, I think.  Virgil and Jasmine were very good, but honestly for me and the DH Virgil just disappeared next to Jasmine.  The Comfort routine was just weird.  What was up with the costumes?  Jim is just a gorgeous dancer in his own style.  His solo was easily the best of the night.  I liked Gaby's as well and thought it was an interesting choice for music.  Jaja's solo was a standout as well. 

At this point I'm hoping for a final 4 of Jaja, Megz, Gaby and Jim with Megz coming in 4th, and no idea who I really want to win.  The other three are neck-and-neck in my book.  Gaby is probably the most versatile, Jaja just draws the eye, and Jim has the most beautiful lines.  I may have to give a slight edge to Jaja since it seems like we're heavy on 'stage' dancer winners.  I can only recall 3 street dancers who've won - Joshua, Russell and Fik-shun.  I like Virgil, but he reminds me too much of Fik-shun, and we've never had a female street dancer win.  So there you go . . . I just talked myself into wanting Jaja to win.  :)

• Love 4

Well, America got it half right.  I would rather have seen Megz go than Neptune, I think he is better than she is but after that terrible paso doble she will undoubtedly be gone next week.  

I love this show, but this season just seems kind of lackluster to me overall.  I don't think it's necessarily because of the dancers.  I think the choreography has been mostly sub-par this season.  I seem to remember in previous seasons being wowed by several routines each week, but this season there have been several weeks where there were no 'wow' routines (at least for me) and several other weeks where there was maybe 1 or 2 routines that I thought were really good.  This season it seems like most of them are fairly forgettable.  Not to say that they're bad exactly, but they just don't grab me and make me sit up and watch and say something like "that was fantastic or amazing or incredible" after they're done

This is spot on.  I've enjoyed most of the numbers for the most part but I can't even remember what they did last week.  This week Robert and Gaby were beautiful together, but the choreography wasn't something we haven't seen before.  What I'll remember more was the lingering emotion between them after the dance ended and wondering if there was a spark there.

It was great to see Fikshun again.  (And Robert and Ricky and Jasmine.)  Jim's solo was stunning, the gladiator outfit was unfortunate.  And Virgil is adorable with whatever he does.

With so few left, does anyone else think they should drop the street vs stage thing?  Let America vote out whoever is lagging on his/her own rather than forcing a finale with one dancer from each catagory?

• Love 3

I'm calling it now, Cat Deeley is pregnant. I've thought it for a few weeks, and with tonight's ensemble, I'm almost positive. So yay for Cat if she is and yay for Cat if she isn't.

You could be right :)

http://en.mediamass.net/people/cat-deeley/pregnancy-rumors.html

I'm watching right now. And I can't believe I still don't recognize most of them when they're all costumed (like this opening number).  

So what do you say about team Street getting the most votes for, how much, 3 weeks in a row?

I was delighted to see Ricky again. I loved him. And he's still just as adorable and talented as he was! And when I saw that Fik-Shun was there, I was instantly disappointed that they didn't pair him with Virgil for a hip-hop number. Although as mentioned above, Virgil would probably pale in comparison, so that's likely why they would avoid such things, as they're clearly pushing him to win.

It's interesting, because last night my husband complained that he doesn't like Virgil because he's "always on." And while I will agree he could take it down a notch sometimes, he's not as bad as Fik-Shun, who I never took to during his season. The judges were always overpraising him, and I felt like he came off cocky because of it. Virgil still seems relatively genuine, if a bit much. And I mean, COME ON, that porch dance when he was 3? COME. ON. :D

I would honestly like to see Gaby win, because she really is quite amazing. But I actually threw all 20 of my votes at Jim last night. His solo was just breathtaking. His hip-hop with Comfort was good, but that SOLO! It did irk me when the judges complained that Jim has technique, but he's not showing enough personality or connection with his partner. You can't blame him for not connecting with a partner he wasn't allowed to look at because of the premise of the routine. It always rankles when the judges ding the dancers for stuff that's really the choreographer's fault. And honestly, Megz has personality, but I'd much rather watch someone like Jim dance. Beautiful technique will always win out over personality for me.

Oh, one other thing about last night's show. I always like to try and guess the choreographer during the opening number. Sometimes it's obvious, but last night, I had no idea. But it was so bland that I should have known it was Tyce! His stuff always feels like watered down versions of other people's stuff. (And every time I see him, I just want to watch that bit in the Chorus Line documentary where he auditions for the Broadway revival and doesn't get it…) :D

I've only posted once, back in the Hollywood rounds, but I had to get this out of my system:

I thought a lot of the costuming was poor tonight.

This!  I'm especially annoyed at how they are dressing Megz.  No, she's not a girly-girl, but for God's sake, the majority of her costumes are so masculine and it annoys the hell out of me.  Last night, I couldn't help but wonder how the Paso would have looked with her in one of those beautiful dresses the female dancers usually wear.  I know she'd have still looked awkward--it really wasn't a good style for her--but it would have given the illusion of some fluidity. Not to mention, she'd have looked better.  I hated her costume this week (most weeks, actually).

I think the choreography has been mostly sub-par this season.

Agreed.  I've been thinking the same thing. 

Paula needs to stay away from the naughty comments-they don't suit her. And I think she embarrassed Virgil with her "size doesn't matter" comment. 

I like Jaja because she seem so sweet, then she pulls out the krumping--it's a great juxtaposition.  But, Gaby is a favorite of mine in regards to versatility.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

"It's not that kind of club, Nigel." - Why, oh why, does Cat not have an Emmy yet?

Jim's solo covering the entire stage was amazing, but Jaja's in her tiny little Krump box was still the better solo.

• Love 5

As mentioned, the opening number had all the women dressed alike and all the men in different costumes. I am puzzled as well.

Jim's intro was hilarious when he did that Ashlee Simpson oops lipsynching SNL hillbilly jig thing.

Cat calls Paula, "Poo-la". hee. I like Paula. Glad she is there. She is lovely and doesn't need all the eye makeup imo. However lovely Cat is, and she is! she could have used a little lippy color (imo)

I love Virgil and Jasmine, but agree that her dress ate him for lunch. ... especially since he was all up under there. (Are those three prepositions in a row?) :)

Uncle Perv, urm, I mean Nigel needs to take it down a notch on the spray tan and tooth whitener before he looks like Ross from Friends on that one eppy. heh

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

After seeing Jaja's and Neptune's solos, I wished that they'd had the opportunity to dance together. That could have epic!  I think Jaja and Fik-Shun together would have been awesome, too. We could seen some fierce sparks in those pairings.

• Love 1

Another week of distractingly poor direction and camera work. I don't understand why they insist on putting the camera directly in line with these big jumps or throws - with the wide lenses they use, it flattens the depth of field and all you get is a tangle of limbs and face coming at you. Offset the camera so we can see the height and distance the dancers are (presumably) getting!

• Love 2