Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Bindi Irwin: Cheerful Aussie Ambassador

• Start Topic

That sounds like an annoying gimmick! Just dance!

Yes. How many times must we see a blindfold? Julianne did it with Apolo, Makes already did it with Erin Andrews, it's a big ol yawn and not difficult Edited by Andie1
  • Love 3

With all due respect, in what way is Bindi Irwin overweight?

Bindi is what my mother would have called chubby. She is not hugely obese but she is overweight.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 1

Bindi is what my mother would have called chubby. She is not hugely obese but she is overweight.

No disrespect intended, but I vehemently disagree with this. Bindi has a short, perhaps stocky, frame and a round face. She's not the willowy thin legs-for-days model type. But she is completely in proportion and seems fit and strong. I think of what Alexa said about people insisting she lose weight and the emotional and physical damage that caused.

On Bindi the dancer -- Derek seems to enjoy her effusive nature and to find her teachable. He seems happier than I've seem him in a few seasons. I thought that Bindi had a new-found elegance in their V. waltz.

• Love 14

On Bindi the dancer -- Derek seems to enjoy her effusive nature and to find her teachable.

What I like about Derek and many of the other professionals is their desire to make their partner look good.  I respect them for doing that.  It's got to be really tough to take people with little to no dancing skills and turn them into dancers in a short period of time, especially given some of the attitudes we've seen in the past with a few of the stars. 

I really like Bindi and admire her positive attitude on life in general.   I don't think her Mom is a "Mommy Dearest".  I've never seen that kind of attitude in all of the footage I've seen of Terri, Bindi and Steve.  I could be wrong, but I haven't seen it.  I don't know of the problems at the zoo, but my SIL was there last year, and by all appearances, things seemed good.  Of course we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.  Anyway, Bindi is getting better every week, and that waltz was simply beautiful. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 3

Bindi also has huge breasts, which adds to the illusion of chubbiness.  I think she's got a perfectly normal body, and if her breasts were smaller, we wouldn't even be talking about her weight.  My daughter had the same issues, and when the doctor told her her breasts were actually messing with her spine, she had a reduction and it made her look like she'd lost a lot of weight.

• Love 4

Bindi also has huge breasts, which adds to the illusion of chubbiness.  I think she's got a perfectly normal body, and if her breasts were smaller, we wouldn't even be talking about her weight.  My daughter had the same issues, and when the doctor told her her breasts were actually messing with her spine, she had a reduction and it made her look like she'd lost a lot of weight.

I agree.  It has been said since the dawn of TV that it puts 10 pounds on you.  I think that shows on short normal weight people and not the very thin.  She has an adorable figure.  

• Love 1

That sounds like an annoying gimmick! Just dance!

Annoying gimmicks are Derek's specialty. 

I agree.  It has been said since the dawn of TV that it puts 10 pounds on you.  I think that shows on short normal weight people and not the very thin.  She has an adorable figure.

She has a shape similar to Ariel Winter (Modern Family) who just went through a breast reduction at 17. Ariel was in an FF cup (or something like that) and it was a matter of health.  I was a D at 15, and am a DD as an adult. Large breastesses do give the illusion of chubbiness that is just unavoidable. In high school, I was a swimmer, softball player, and cheerleader. But at 5'2" with 38D boobs, I was called "the chubby one" all the time. My mother also referred to me as such, despite weighing 115-120 pounds. She was special. Eyeroll. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

I like Bindi and believe she's a sincere person. For me, it isn't hard to believe her hyper-bubbly, extrovert personality is real considering that her father had the same nature. In a world filled with so much complaining and negativity, someone who is positive most of the time seems abnormal, so it makes sense that people have questioned the genuineness of all the perkiness.

Her VTs have shown her being worried and expressing fear, although working hard not to complain. She said she holds negativity in until she gets ill. In the rehearsal for the Chicago number, she said worry and stress cause her to fail, so it makes sense that she would want to work hard to be positive instead.

Whatever the truth about her mother and the zoo, my opinion is that she has had to do something right to have two children who are articulate, know how to relate to and converse with adults and who spend time doing something other than stare into a television set or play video games all day.

• Love 3

I like to give children the benefit of the doubt. Some people continue wanting to please their parents well into adulthood. My mind and my heart tell me this is an issue between the grandfather and the mother.

I like Bindi and believe she's a sincere person. For me, it isn't hard to believe her hyper-bubbly, extrovert personality is real considering that her father had the same nature. In a world filled with so much complaining and negativity, someone who is positive most of the time seems abnormal, so it makes sense that people have questioned the genuineness of all the perkiness.

I am one of the people that have said that Bindi is too perky for me.  However, I do believe that she's being genuine.  I know that there have been other posters that mentioned that she's too perky but I haven't seen any that said she's faking it.  I could have missed it though.

Also, there's a difference between being positive and saying stuff like "raining happiness".  Believe it or not, I tend to be a positive person but I don't say stuff like that.  However, she's also in her teens and I'm an old lady.

• Love 3

Good point, realdancemom. We all have different personalities, ways of being and speaking. I'm more of an introvert myself. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say it's "raining happiness" much less say it myself. :) We also have different opinions and every right to speak them.

But I tend to feel a bit protective of the younger celebs and don't think it benefits any of us or them to reiterate negative points that have already been made several times. Words can hurt people, especially the young.

• Love 1

Many teenagers have a tendency to be excited and over the top, and go all rainbows and unicorns over stuff.  It comes with being young and still discovering the world.

However, as an older lady myself, sometimes I get silly and say things like that.  I guess I haven't really grown up yet (and I hope I never do!). 

• Love 6

I am one of the people that have said that Bindi is too perky for me. However, I do believe that she's being genuine. I know that there have been other posters that mentioned that she's too perky but I haven't seen any that said she's faking it. I could have missed it though.

Also, there's a difference between being positive and saying stuff like "raining happiness". Believe it or not, I tend to be a positive person but I don't say stuff like that. However, she's also in her teens and I'm an old lady.

Part of it for me is that there have been even younger celebs, this season and last season that weren't handled with kid gloves the way Bindi is. I mean, I sure wasn't handled with kid gloves at 17 either.

I don't think BIndi has been treated with kid gloves. Someone's opinion that she was overscored or should have gotten more criticism doesn't make it a fact and means she's been handled with kid gloves. Honestly, I agreed with the panel on Afterbuzz that at times this season I even forgot Bindi was 17. Because it wasn't made an issue like some of the other contestants who have been under-aged like Sadie for example, where costumes and steps were a constant issue because of her age and being a Christian. 

Yes Bindi is almost unnaturally perky and happy (unnatural to someone like me who is miles different from that kind of temperament) but perky and happy doesn't mean immature or childish and I think she's actually shown a lot of maturity throughout the competition and has been treated as such. I've never felt Bindi was condescended to or talked down to or treated in any way that was so different to other contestants. Of course I say this acknowledging that I also don't believe she has been over-scored and over-hyped but YMMV. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Guys I would love he back and forth on This thread to stay civil and for there to be a drop down in the level of vitriol pointed at the contestant. If you could all step away from the thread for a few minutes I won't have to lock it.

• Love 1

How beautiful.  How marvelous.  How authentic.

She was quite something last night.  I finally was able to connect with her.  She was very different in that freestyle package.  I genuinely felt the pains she was alluding to.  That last look she had for the camera?  No mask.  Pure.  Powerful.

The emotion she brought to the ballroom, and thereby evoked, was truly unlike anything I've before seen.  Everyone wanted to literally scream and shout and clap and.....emote!  Yet, they were paralyzed by the magic Bindi had wrought.  Derek's touch of that picture was genius.  Art at its finest.  The crowd literally could not react.  Stunned.  Shocked.  In a wondrous way.  

Her expression from the time the dance ended to the last hug we saw her give Derek was beautiful and it was as real as real gets.  I was so pleased for her, and proud of her.  I'm indebted to her for letting me see her.

And yes, that QS was pretty much as good as any which have been performed in that place.

This was a peak moment for the entire series.  Bindi redeemed this whole season.  

• Love 3

Bindi herself hasn't ruined the season for me, but the constant pimping of her and the constant exploitation of her relationship with her dad week after week by TPTB & Derek bugs the shit out of me and never more so than in the Freestyle, when that picture of Bindi & her late dad just happened to show up. IMO, that was one of the most shameless and manipulative ploys for votes I've ever seen, which, given this show's track record re manipulation, is impressive and it was also why I didn't vote for her.

The judges' comments about the Freestyle, thanking Bindi for being born and saying that she's everything good and pure about this competition (or words to that effect) made matters even worse. If Bindi wins and gives Derek his umpteenth trophy in the process, I won't quit the show  because of Tom & I won't let Golden Boy drive me away, but I'll never vote for Derek nor his partners again.

Edited by DollEyes

She seems genuine in her personality ( I can't find anything wrong with it). But I've never gotten the fascination with her as a "star." Maybe one has to be really into the outdoors or have been a big Steve Irwin fan  to understand the fascination with her.

Edited by bantering

I don't know why there is such an impression that Bindi's Dad was brought in "every week" or "week after week".  We saw it at the beginning of the season (Crocodile Rock and the most memorable year week), but he wasn't brought in again until this last week. (Edited to add:  Oops, I take it back - there was one other time, when the focus was on each of the celebrities growing up.  How could she not mention him then?)  It's interesting how subjective even something like this is. 

Now, Nick and the BSB stuff, I have the impression that that was brought in almost every week!  :)  And I am probably overstating how that actually was, as I am not a BSB fan.

All subjective.  As, subjectively, I love both Bindi and Derek, and enjoyed every moment of their dancing and their partnership.

Also adding, I think it is sad how many people have said they won't vote for her because of the manipulation and the pimping of her by the show and the judges.  It is not her fault the judges went so over the top, or that the show is so manipulative.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 6

Was there ever an outcome to the legal issue of Bindi having to prove her father is dead before a judge would approve her DWTS contract?

I thought it odd that they had to prove that Steve had no claim to Bindi's income from the show. I would have thought the other way, that a parent would have to prove they had some right to the minors earnings. Like, for instance, if Terri Irwin said that she had expenses X, Y & Z that were incurred solely in order for Bindi to participate. (An apartment in LA, transportation, etc.) I wonder why the law requires such proof in this case, but wouldn't if Bindi were working at the Gap after school?

With all due respect, in what way is Bindi Irwin overweight?

Bindi is what I call shapely and sexy.

Obese? Chubby?Overweight? NO. Maybe by south orange county California standards, but not in my reality. IMO

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 8

I don't know why there is such an impression that Bindi's Dad was brought in "every week" or "week after week".  We saw it at the beginning of the season (Crocodile Rock and the most memorable year week), but he wasn't brought in again until this last week. (Edited to add:  Oops, I take it back - there was one other time, when the focus was on each of the celebrities growing up.  How could she not mention him then?)  It's interesting how subjective even something like this is. 

Now, Nick and the BSB stuff, I have the impression that that was brought in almost every week!  :)  And I am probably overstating how that actually was, as I am not a BSB fan.

All subjective.  As, subjectively, I love both Bindi and Derek, and enjoyed every moment of their dancing and their

partnership.

Also adding, I think it is sad how many people have said they won't vote for her because of the manipulation and the pimping of her by the show and the judges.  It is not her fault the judges went so over the top, or that the show is so manipulative.

I posted this in the thread that is now locked:

Someone asked how many dead daddy dances we were subjected to, so here's the answer:

Dead Dad Dances: Jive, Tango, Contemporary, Freestyle

Non Dead Dad Dances: Waltz, Quickstep (Jeffersons), Cha Cha, Rumba, Argentine Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz,

Charleston, Salsa, Jazz, Samba, Quickstep (Bones)

• Love 4

I love Bindi and think she absolutely deserves the win. I normally hate when Derek wins again, but Bindi is the best dancer there, dead dad tears or not. I think she was hinting in her video package that she never openly grieved for her father until the show, which is not shocking given that she had stand on a stage and give a eulogy to several thousand people at the tender age of 7. She is exceptional, I think, and I've loved all of her dances.

• Love 6

I think she was hinting in her video package that she never openly grieved for her father until the show, which is not shocking given that she had stand on a stage and give a eulogy to several thousand people at the tender age of 7.

She has also mentioned how she internalizes everything, so I can understand why all of her emotions came pouring out after Derek had that huge picture of her and her Dad put up last night.  I think he overplayed his hand on that one.  I didn't think that was necessary or fair to Bindi since she was blindsided by it.  As I said in the other thread, it looked like it really rattled her. 

I've loved watching Bindi & Derek this season, and have a lot of respect for her cheery attitude, but I was hoping that she & Derek would end this on an upbeat note instead of such a somber one since we've already seen so many tributes to her Dad.  (No disrespect intended.)

• Love 4

Congrats to Bindi!

She was effortless and beautiful all season. Always so mature beyond her years.

She truly was a natural as someone who came in without a significant dance background and I really hope she capitalizes on this and gets some type of performing or acting gigs.

• Love 6

I posted this in the thread that is now locked:

Someone asked how many dead daddy dances we were subjected to, so here's the answer:

Dead Dad Dances: Jive, Tango, Contemporary, Freestyle

Non Dead Dad Dances: Waltz, Quickstep (Jeffersons), Cha Cha, Rumba, Argentine Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz,

Charleston, Salsa, Jazz, Samba, Quickstep (Bones)

How were the jive and tango "dead dad dances?"

The Tango was danced to AC/DC, a song that Bindi mentioned she learned to like because her father listened to it; I don't think that equates to "dead dad dance."

The jive (trio dance) was not about Bindi's father, it was about Bindi "breaking out."

The contemporary (memorable year week) was most definitely about her father as was the freestyle.

• Love 2

I was replying to a long series of comments by people who were disgusted by/sick of hearing about her dead dad in "so many" of their dances. I don't think the jive and tango were dead dad dances either but I added them to preclude what I assumed would be more haranguing since the dad was mentioned in both rehearsal packages.

• Love 1

Her trio dance was the jazz. Her jive was to Crocodile Rock.

Sheesh, I don't know why I read "jive" and saw "jazz" ...... and other than the song being too on the nose, was Crocodile Rock really about her father?  I think it was selected, much like Rumer had to dance to Rumor Has It just to get it out of the way (since the audience would be "expecting" it).

Regardless, of all of Bindi's dances, I think only two (Freestyle, Contemporary) were truly about her relationship with her father.  Two dances. the same number that Nick danced that directly referenced BSB and less than then number of dances that Carlos dedicated to his wife and/or god.

I was replying to a long series of comments by people who were disgusted by/sick of hearing about her dead dad in "so many" of their dances. I don't think the jive and tango were dead dad dances either but I added them to preclude what I assumed would be more haranguing since the dad was mentioned in both rehearsal packages.

Ah, got it.  

I don't think that Bindi mentioned her father any more than Nick mentioned BSB or Alek mentioned the military.

I'm certain that Bindi (and Nick and Alek) talked about other things, just that the producers decided to air those specific clips because it helped the narrative that the powers-that-be wanted to tell.

• Love 5

Yay for Bindi!  I had forgotten that they would dance again last night.  It was nice to see them end the season on a high note.  She's been so consistent the whole season.  Winning the Mirror Ball trophy was well-deserved, IMO. 

• Love 6

I am  going to miss her dancing every week. I've been a fan of her dad and her family for years, ever since she was a little girl. I was so excited when she was cast this season. I'm more the introvert type and cheery people usually get on my nerves at some point, but I think it's great to see a teenager so positive. I had posted about her on my Facebook earlier this year when she wrote a note to young girls to love themselves first. I love that her figure is curvy, as I was (still am) busty at a young age too.

She dance consistently over the season with a smile on her face and deserved the win. I'm not usually a big fan of Derek (I like him enough, but never been a fan of the shows special treatment at times) but I've loved his partnership with Bindi.

If you go to her IG, go way back in the pictures, you'll see she's always been the same beautiful soul.

• Love 3

OakGoblinFly, on 27 Nov 2015 - 08:01 AM, said: 

May I ask how you knew that Derek and Bindi would win when the cast was announced?

Honestly, when the cast was announced I thought that Nick had the best chance to win (given his performance experience) with Carlos being a dark horse (again due to his musical roots).  I also thought that Tamar would be in the mix.

ChicksDigScars said it pretty well, I think:

Seventeen, in good athletic shape, with a built in fan base inherited from her wildly popular father, who died tragically and publicly. How was Bindi NOT one of the favorites from the day that they assigned partners? Especially this season, which featured the likes of a 60-something, out of shape television cook who had been fired by her network and advertisers, and is universally disliked for saying racially insensitive things. A real housewives blow up doll who looked like she'd spring a silicone leak if she bent a certain way. A mouthy diva with potential, but was given a "bitch edit" from the get go and thus was fairly unlikable. A 70-something R&B singer who had no shot of making the late rounds. The only female "celebrity" that had the potential to be as strong as Bindi, was Alexa, and her fan base was non existent.

Bindi is young, pretty and hugely sympathetic.  One could argue that she didn't come in with a very high profile or a fanbase of her own, but one would certainly know her father.  You literally couldn't escape him; it seemed he was everywhere.  I never watched one minute of Crocodile Hunter either, but I definitely knew who Steve Irwin was and remember being shocked and saddened by his untimely death, even though I was not a fan of his.  Bindi would have tons of goodwill coming in, unlike, say, Paula Deen. When I saw Bindi had been paired with Derek, and if she was any good at all, I was certain they'd go far, and probably win.  And I was right.

This is not to say she and Derek didn't deserve it.  Derek is a creative and I daresay, superior, choreographer, who does tend to get the best out of his partners.  (I used to be on the I Hate Derek bandwagon, but after a while, I found I was spending too much energy and stress over him and just admitted to myself that he is very good.  He also tends to get good partners, or at least partners with good potential.)  From what I've seen and heard, Bindi danced well and is a naturally sweet, happy young lady.  (Some people are just built that way - I wish I was one of them!)  I've nothing against either of them.

But Derek is WILDLY popular, outside of some online communities I frequent, anyway.  :-)  Pair him with one of the very few celebrities I as a 50mumble year old female had heard of - and I don't know, but I would imagine while I'm not in the DWTS desired demographic, I'm probably close to their actual demographic - and that celebrity was young, athletic and pretty and had suffered a very public tragedy, and boom.  There it is.  (As it were.)  My problem was that besides thinking DWTS at two seasons a year is one too many, is that it's become predictable and boring; it's simply bad TV.  I was nearly certain before the show even started Derek and Bindi would win, so when it seemed the previous season had just ended and there were conflicts in what I wanted to see on Monday nights, it was easier to skip this rather than the others.  If Derek had been paired with Paula, I might have been more curious and tempted to watch.

• Love 2

Count me in as another 50 something woman who knew right off the bat that Bindi would likely win.  Nothing works for sympathy like a dead relative, ask the Food Network who loves it when their contestants on "Food Network Star" bring up dead relatives.  Bindi is one of those fanciful people whose positive nature makes others like her immediately plus being paired with the chosen one - Once I saw that she could dance I knew she had all the right "cards" in her hand and it was going to happen.   This show is nothing if not predictable.

I actually only caught up with the show yesterday.  I was unusually busy and hadn't watched about 3 weeks of episodes.  I told my friends and relatives at Thanksgiving not to spoil for me who the winner was.  They all wanted to know who I thought the winner would be.  I told them without any doubt or hesitation it would be Bindi.  They all tried to keep poker faces but I had a feeling they were surprised at how right I was.  Sometimes what's obvious to me is not obvious to other people.

That said, I'm not sure it was her fault that her father kept being brought up.  I didn't think it happened so much in the performances but in the judges comments over and over again.  And yet she didn't protest when they gushed over her like she was the second freaking coming, so I don't think she's quite as innocent as she looks.  She at least would not protest all the complimenting like Alek did.  Alek IMO was more modest about himself and seemed uncomfortable with gushing praise.  Not Bindi.  She jumped up and down shrieking like a schoolgirl.

As far as being an extrovert, yes she is one.  I'm not.  But it's not just that with her.  It's that she seems to live in a bubble or a fantasy world, or she at least wants to live in one even if she's wiser than she comes off.  I think she's one of those special snowflakes that was encouraged to be that way by her parents and probably didn't grow up around a group of mean girls like most of the rest of us who would smack that shit right out of her.  That said, I don't hate her but I see her as someone who has had advantages in some ways that did not break her spirit early on.  Most of the rest of us don't have that advantage.  Especially those of us (like me) who were bullied as children.

• Love 2

Bindi is a bit of a mystery to me. I completely believe she is a positive, energetic person. She also gives off a sense of maturity-for-her-age that probably comes from growing up quickly with her dad's early death. But then she has these moments where she is a wide-eyed little girl calling confetti "raining happiness" and Chai Tea "angel tears," and I just can't quite...is she for real? Is she making fun of herself? I'm not quite sure how to interpret those moments, and that's the part that threw me off completely liking her. 

I am an "older lady" and yet I have my moments of being silly where I might say things like that.  Most of us have many facets; sometimes you see one, sometimes you see others.  Sometimes I am the corporate management person, sometimes I am a creative spirit, and sometimes I have flights of fancy or even mysticism.  It's good to let go and have whatever moment comes along be real, and Bindi seems to have enough self-confidence to just be herself.

In the clip about the Chai Tea, it did seem to me that she was just being funny and deliberately going overboard with the wide eyes and the breathy voice of wonder. 

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 2

And yet she didn't protest when they gushed over her like she was the second freaking coming, so I don't think she's quite as innocent as she looks. She at least would not protest all the complimenting like Alek did. Alek IMO was more modest about himself and seemed uncomfortable with gushing praise. Not Bindi. She jumped up and down shrieking like a schoolgirl.

Aaah, sorry, this is one of my pet peeves, I absolutely HATE that most women are socialized to deflect compliments. It's so problematic - right up there with women feeling the need to apologize for their existence all the time. If someone wants to complement you, don't convince them that they're wrong, say thank you. Power to Bindi for accepting compliments, and I hope she never gets that "beaten out of her." From what I've seen she gives them quite liberally as well, which is the proper response to people saying nice things about you - don't convince them not to, spread the love around.

(Also, worth a mention, Bindi IS a schoolgirl.)

• Love 10