Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Bindi Irwin: Cheerful Aussie Ambassador

• Start Topic

BINDI IRWIN The 17 year-old Australian wildlife conservationist and actress has continued the legacy of her parents, Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin and Terri Irwin, starring in a series of wildlife shows, including "Bindi: The Jungle Girl," "Bindi's Bootcamp," and "Steve Irwin's Wildlife Warriors." As an actress, Bindi starred in the films Free Willy: Escape from Pirate's Cove and Return to Nim's Island. In 2014, Bindi was awarded the prestigious Australian Geographic Society’s Young Conservationist of the Year, an honor that she dedicated to her late father, Steve Irwin. PRO DANCE PARTNER: DEREK HOUGH

Link to the GMA interview

rs_300x300-140130093933-600.bindi-irwin-

Dancing with Derek Hough for Season 21

Hello, I'm a displaced ABC board poster and have lurked here for a while. I like Bindi; however, I feel she is too young for the show. I would like to see all the contestants be above 18. I'm pretty sure she will get Mark!

Anyone wanna start taking bets on what her most memorable year will be?

If they can find a way to do something positive & uplifting in connection with it, I'm guessing the year her dad was killed by the stingray while filming 1 of his shows & she gave that pretty amazing (for a kid her age) eulogy about/for him at the huge memorial service they had at Australia Zoo, which they own in Queensland State, Australia. That would've been around 2006 if I figured right. Bindi was 8 then, she's 17 now.

• Love 3

Bindi sometimes gives me precocious child star vibes.  Though I haven't followed her for a couple of years, so maybe she's grown out of it. While Derek doesn't seem to do well with introverts, I find him unbearable with partners who can mug along for the cameras with him, so I'm sort of cringing in advance.

• Love 1

Probably because Steve Irwin was pretty hammy and over the top in his presentation, and Derek can be pretty hammy, and if Bindy has adopted some of her dad's affectations well, not everyone likes ham. (Some people are steak people :P )

Then there will also be the people who would have found Bindi cute, but their irritation with Derek will cause them to find her annoying. (The same will happen with whoever Val/Allison gets as well. The "bitch eating crackers" phenomenon.)

Since that photo seems to all but confirm the partnership- I'm going to predict it plays out like a cross between his Shawn partnership and his Bethany partnership. (Shawn for short jokes, Bethany for dance ability.) I found those partnerships pretty cute, so that's what side of the fence my opinion lies on.

Edited by kitcloudkicker

Previously I was only aware of Bindi in pictures with her Dad. I'm not sure I've ever even heard her speak. So really my only introduction to her was on GMA. I noticed she spoke in a slightly too loud, somewhat too exuberant manner. She seemed like a very nice girl and handled the interview very well, but her presentation was a little too...tooooo...something. I don't know if that was nerves perhaps? Though certainly she's used to being in front of cameras. It'll be interesting to see how Derek handles that.  I hope he doesn't start mimicking her because he doesn't seem to know when to stop (i.e. Shawn short jokes).

Edited by Uke
  • Love 1

A kid I used to babysit loved her show. It was basically her dad's show but with all baby animals that she would explain about and show off, etc. She won 2 or 3 Emmy's for it if I recall correctly.

She was quite likeable on it, and I think it was just being out of her comfort zone in general that made her seem a little too OTT on GMA. She's at that age where she isn't a kid but not quite an adult and I think it shows.

• Love 1

A kid I used to babysit loved her show. It was basically her dad's show but with all baby animals that she would explain about and show off, etc. She won 2 or 3 Emmy's for it if I recall correctly.

She was quite likeable on it, and I think it was just being out of her comfort zone in general that made her seem a little too OTT on GMA. She's at that age where she isn't a kid but not quite an adult and I think it shows.

Thanks for this additional info. Pretty remarkable career thus far. I'll look forward to getting to know her.

• Love 1

I think she's a cutie and her and Derek have potential to be fun. I think Derek needs a fun contestant. Just looking through his contestants, the only one he has had really was Shawn and maybe Lil Kim.

• Love 1

Bindi is an extrovert and probably has taken on a bit of her Dad's "hammy" ways. She seemed slightly uncomfortable on GMA and also in her "nae nae" video. I think it might be intimidating for a 17 year old to be in a setting like DWTS, surrounded by older people and learning a skill she knows nothing about. Extroverts often overcompensate when they're uncomfortable by being too effusive/exuberant and talking too much. I think that's what she did.

In her dance video she seemed almost shy and very uncomfortable about moving her body. I'm assuming she'll be able to overcome it as Shawn J did, but it might take time. Derek's silliness could be the thing that enables her to get comfortable. Mark's goofiness is one of the qualities that helps his young, conservative partners the most.

• Love 2

Cute pic of Bindi in rehearsals. These must be producer Ashleyeden's kids. https://twitter.com/kupskik/status/638108151628320769

Bindi has a younger brother, Robert "Bob" Clarence Irwin, born in 2003 (I can't find the exact date, so far), who's/who will be 12 this year & was going to "relocate" to LA along with Bindi & his Mom for the duration of Bindi's run on DWTS. I thought maybe the boy in the red & gold shirt might've been him, but after looking at a bunch of pics of Bindi's brother in the last few minutes, I'm not so sure now.

CED9: Bindi may have been nominated for more than 1 Daytime Emmy for her kids' show here in the US, but her Wikipedia page says she's only won 1 (she's also won a "Silver Logie" award, which is the Australian equivalent of our Emmy award... & maybe also our Oscars or the Golden Globes--which honor both TV & Film work. I forget if the Logies are strictly an award for TV work or for Australian TV & Film.

Here's the link to Bindi's Wikipedia page, in case anyone wants to read more about her:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindi_Irwin

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Bindi has a younger brother, Robert "Bob" Clarence Irwin, born in 2003 (I can't find the exact date, so far), who's/who will be 12 this year & was going to "relocate" to LA along with Bindi & his Mom for the duration of Bindi's run on DWTS.

Not to be creepy. but her little brother, Bob, was born December 1st, 2003.

I also don't think the boy in the red and gold shirt is him (he looks exactly like a male Bindi), but I have no doubt that we'll see both him and her mom in the audience.

I'll grant that Bindi was nervous on GMA and may have compensated for that by being OTT.  But, to me, she always seems OTT even on her own show ... talking too loudly, being hyper and excitable.   Hope she can tone it down several notches for the actual show.

I imagine Derek and Paula have a lot of demographic fanbase overlap and would be a nightmare power couple. No thank you.

I said before that a Mark/Bindi dynamic would be somewhat predictable, but I think I'd prefer that pairing than Bindi with Derek.

This will be an interesting pairing. I didn't think Derek would ever want a minor given the restrictions and inconvenience to whatever else he might be doing. But then again on paper Bindi is the most appealing and fanbase friendly of the female contestants so the pairing isn't such a surprise.

Honestly, Mark and Val have done such great jobs with their underage partners that for once IMO Derek does have some big shoes to fill. If Bindi doesn't have any natural talent I don't see Derek working with her technique the way Mark and Val do. With those two, you can see marked improvements in their celebs as the weeks progress. Derek it seems gives up on teaching his partners to dance after a couple of weeks and focuses more on making pretty shapes. Maybe Derek will adopt the big brother persona that made the Shawn 1.0/Sadie/Willow and Zendaya partnerships so sweet,  but it will require Derek to change his usual approach, which often involves a lack of chemistry with his partners. Or I can see him going too far in the other direction and being over the top silly in that forced way he used to behave in an attempt to match Bindi's energy and enthusiasm.

• Love 1

I imagine Derek and Paula have a lot of demographic fanbase overlap and would be a nightmare power couple. No thank you.

I said before that a Mark/Bindi dynamic would be somewhat predictable, but I think I'd prefer that pairing than Bindi with Derek.

This will be an interesting pairing. I didn't think Derek would ever want a minor given the restrictions and inconvenience to whatever else he might be doing. But then again on paper Bindi is the most appealing and fanbase friendly of the female contestants so the pairing isn't such a surprise.

Honestly, Mark and Val have done such great jobs with their underage partners that for once IMO Derek does have some big shoes to fill. If Bindi doesn't have any natural talent I don't see Derek working with her technique the way Mark and Val do. With those two, you can see marked improvements in their celebs as the weeks progress. Derek it seems gives up on teaching his partners to dance after a couple of weeks and focuses more on making pretty shapes. Maybe Derek will adopt the big brother persona that made the Shawn 1.0/Sadie/Willow and Zendaya partnerships so sweet,  but it will require Derek to change his usual approach, which often involves a lack of chemistry with his partners. Or I can see him going too far in the other direction and being over the top silly in that forced way he used to behave in an attempt to match Bindi's energy and enthusiasm.

I don't know. I'm feeling a little uncomfortable or maybe it's protectiveness towards Bindi. Derek's known for throwing around sharp comments, hurtful remarks, and then just laughs it off.  He's probably the most intense of all the pros. I think I would have preferred Bindi with Val. (Mark was due for a grownup).

• Love 3

I think Derek did okay with Bethany. She came with not much fitness, not a lot of dance experience and a closed off personality. Yeah, some of the dances were short, he controlled her rather tightly, there were props, but she did learn and improve IMO. Not in all aspects and not super dramatically, but it was there. But yeah, IMO he was also a bit passive aggressive with her at times, which is usual for him when he's frustrated. Anybody's guess how that works out with Bindi. She hasn't got dance experience, she seemed a bit nervous and overcompensating for it in the clips I've seen of her. I hope he gets her to calm down in her performances and also in her general demeanour and explains to her that it's not necessary to go 400% all the time. If he plays into that aspect of her persona, they might get a bit tiresome together. But I see potential in this pair and she already has goodwill from the audience because of her father.

IMO Val and Zendaya was a bit different: She was 16, but she had extensive dance experience. So she could handle pretty much anything Val threw at her and could deal with his intensity. I agree he did super with her, but it was not exactly like with Bindi. Both Val and Derek would have to accomodate someone like that (or Sadie or Willow) to some degree and tone down their natural intensity. But since they're both generally really good at their jobs, I'm sure they would (or will, in the case of Derek) do their best.

Edited by katha

Even if he is a jerk to Bindi, the show's editors would probably never show it, due to her age.  They can't show Golden Boy in a bad light and being nasty to a 17 year old girl.

I'm definitely not a fan of Golden Boy but I don't think he would yell at a child. He did pretty well with Sadie Robertson as I recall, and she was as fragile as a glass vase.

I'm definitely not a fan of Golden Boy but I don't think he would yell at a child. He did pretty well with Sadie Robertson as I recall, and she was as fragile as a glass vase.

Yeah, it was only for one week, but IMO you clearly saw that he understood that she was very sensitive and reacted accordingly. Bethany was more the stoic type and could probably deal with him being a bit tougher on her. Of course he had Sadie in the switch for one dance, which is very different from the pressures of a whole season run. But still.

Edited by katha

I was a huge fan of Steve Irwin, starting around the time Bindi was born.  I want to like her but I'm also afraid she'll be over-the-top and will turn me off.  I had to turn off GMA when she was on because that was happening. So, keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see HER and not her camera personality.  The big question is, will Terri and Robert be wearing khaki in the audience?  And will Terri up her blondness yet another step?

How harsh was Derek really on Bethany though? I don't remember anything worse than the jabs a personal trainer might throw out if s/he thought you could give more than you were. I remember a "not going to lie, your energy sucks today," and a few "c'mon we really have to get through this" but not much worse. Bethany seemed rather jolly and unstressed the whole run (if occasionally tired). Unless I'm forgetting something?

• Love 1

How harsh was Derek really on Bethany though? I don't remember anything worse than the jabs a personal trainer might throw out if s/he thought you could give more than you were. I remember a "not going to lie, your energy sucks today," and a few "c'mon we really have to get through this" but not much worse. Bethany seemed rather jolly and unstressed the whole run (if occasionally tired). Unless I'm forgetting something?

I get your point that Derek wasn't any worse (that we saw) than the jabs of a personal trainer. But I disagree that Bethany seemed jolly and unstressed the whole run. To me, she seemed very stressed, perhaps partially due to her tendency to internalize and remain stoic (as Katha said).   I think the best thing that happened for her the whole season was the switch and Mark focusing on getting her to lighten up by getting her outside to play (skipping, hula hooping, etc.) and genuinely laugh. That seemed to have a lasting effect as Bethany seemed somewhat less stressed after the switch.   But even Sadie was stressed that week, though that could be attributed simply to having a new partner (though she was calling/texting Mark daily, which he mentioned I think it was in a snapchat or maybe it was an IG video).

Maybe because I tend to follow the cast on Instagram, which I'll admit can skew on the rosier side (perhaps the truth is down the middle), but she seemed fine all season to me. A little nervous in the beginning. There was a bunch of silliness with Derek (and producers, and Val, Janel, Witney, the troupe - she seemed to endear herself to a lot of them) that wasn't televised, similar to what you mention with Mark. Also, the whole "going outside to play" seemed like a clear producer setup to me.

And since this has gotten OT I'll try and bring it back to Bindi in that if this sort of partner relationship develops I think they'll be totes fine. https://instagram.com/p/uepAmTp7kS/

Here's an interview with a poised and self-possessed Bindi Irwin:

She seems more socially mature than Shawn, Bethany or Sadie at 17. This is just an opinion formed from watching videos of her interviews and comparing my impressions and memories of them. She certainly has accomplished a lot for a young person her age. Whether she can dance or not is a different story, but I'm not concerned about how Derek will treat her. I have a feeling if he goes into perfectionist mode, this young lady will be able to disarm him in the manner of Kellie Pickler, or defend herself and maintain inner equilibrium at the same time.

Maybe because I tend to follow the cast on Instagram, which I'll admit can skew on the rosier side (perhaps the truth is down the middle), but she seemed fine all season to me. A little nervous in the beginning.

Agreed. I followed her a bit as well because I grew to really like Bethany during the season and honestly girl seemed incredibly chill and laid-back about the whole experience. Maybe too much so at times. The infamous moment where Derek had her go do the Paso move again and again, I absolutely saw what he was saying in the moment. She just looked bored and he was trying to get her to put fire in the movements.

Unpopular perhaps, but I actually liked Derek's teaching in that moment. He was stern without being harsh or mean in my opinion, and he wasn't going to let her get by on half-assing the movement. Bethany always seemed in my opinion, very happy and laid back and "whatever" about the whole competition. I for one did not think she ever seemed stressed and she and Derek seemed to have a really affectionate, warm relationship. This is the girl that many people joked about not seeming like she had a pulse - that's how calm and cool she was about the whole experience. 

YMMV but I disagree that Derek is the most intense of all. Yes, he can get frustrated and be passive aggressive at times but I don't find him any more intense than Val. I think Derek is a very good teacher and I'm certainly not worried he's going to be mean and harsh and traumatize the poor 17 year old. Derek was amazing with Amy and in fact he got judged at times that season for not giving her enough to do, treating her like she was some fragile doll that would break if he challenged her a little bit, etc. I certainly saw no frustration and harshness in that season.

When Amy had her moments of frustration over what her limbs could not do, he let her have them. And I always say it is interesting some of the perspective on Derek because if you listen to the celebrities who actually danced with him, most of them always mention the self belief they got from him during their season. That he made them believe they could do more than they thought they could.  

I personally don't know how Bindi will do dance wise since I've neither seen nor read anything that indicates she has some dance experience or performing experience. I was surprised so many seem to think her being in the Finals is such a given (well not really, she's paired with Derek so that probably explained it) but I personally don't think her being paired with Derek is going to hurt her or he's going to possibly emotionally damage her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I'm guessing she goes far based on the Sadie factor, not necessarily dance ability. For as much hand wringing there is about young contestants, they seem to do well. She could end up being more of a Willow, I suppose, but there's so little dance training in this cast, just being young and able bodied should be enough to get her halfway.  

Agreed. I followed her a bit as well because I grew to really like Bethany during the season and honestly girl seemed incredibly chill and laid-back about the whole experience. Maybe too much so at times. The infamous moment where Derek had her go do the Paso move again and again, I absolutely saw what he was saying in the moment. She just looked bored and he was trying to get her to put fire in the movements.

Unpopular perhaps, but I actually liked Derek's teaching in that moment. He was stern without being harsh or mean in my opinion, and he wasn't going to let her get by on half-assing the movement. Bethany always seemed in my opinion, very happy and laid back and "whatever" about the whole competition. I for one did not think she ever seemed stressed and she and Derek seemed to have a really affectionate, warm relationship. This is the girl that many people joked about not seeming like she had a pulse - that's how calm and cool she was about the whole experience.

YMMV but I disagree that Derek is the most intense of all. Yes, he can get frustrated and be passive aggressive at times but I don't find him any more intense than Val. I think Derek is a very good teacher and I'm certainly not worried he's going to be mean and harsh and traumatize the poor 17 year old. Derek was amazing with Amy and in fact he got judged at times that season for not giving her enough to do, treating her like she was some fragile doll that would break if he challenged her a little bit, etc. I certainly saw no frustration and harshness in that season.

When Amy had her moments of frustration over what her limbs could not do, he let her have them. And I always say it is interesting some of the perspective on Derek because if you listen to the celebrities who actually danced with him, most of them always mention the self belief they got from him during their season. That he made them believe they could do more than they thought they could.

I personally don't know how Bindi will do dance wise since I've neither seen nor read anything that indicates she has some dance experience or performing experience. I was surprised so many seem to think her being in the Finals is such a given (well not really, she's paired with Derek so that probably explained it) but I personally don't think her being paired with Derek is going to hurt her or he's going to possibly emotionally damage her.

Responding to the bolded. According to Bindi's Wikipedia page, she does have prior performing experience (besides presenting/talking about various animals on TV), but it appears to all be prior to 2010.

She recorded a kid's fitness DVD, in which she sang & danced with a group called Bindi Kidfitness. She also recorded a hip-hop album, called Trouble in the Jungle, with a backup group called The Crocmen; they later performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, riding on a float with her mother, Terri. She also has performed, with a new backup group The Jungle Girls, at Australia Zoo which her family owns near Brisbane (I think), Australia.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Guys just a heads up that your posts in this thread need to be mainly about Bindi and not her partner. Once we get into the season I'm sure there will be some overlap but for now, it's all Bindi all the time. Thanks!

• Love 1

I was thrilled when she was the first announced. I had just had a post about her a few months ago on my Facebook page saying more young girls should be looking up to her. I also used to tease my son to go look her up, she is 3 weeks younger than him.

I was a fan of her fathers, very sad when he passed and felt so proud when she got up there and gave that beautiful eulogy.

My youngest son, who was diagnosed with Aspergers and tended to obsess on things, had an obsession when he was small with The Wiggles. She was in a few of their videos, and between that and watching her dads shows, I became very familiar with Bindi early on. She's got great poise, happy and positive.

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 2

I know I should wait till the show premieres but already I find the idea of Bindi just exhausting, even without the Derek factor. You could make a drinking game for her every moment on the show. Bruno will take every opportunity to make an animal pun. Carrie Ann will babble, cry, sputter, squeak and whine about Bindi's age and how she's grown up before our very eyes. There will be cuts to her family in khaki with tears in their eyes. Goofy "spontaneous" packages with Derek acting silly and scared around miscellaneous wildlife. Maybe one week they'll giggle and/or agonize over a dance being too mature. And Sob Story night will be tailored for her to do a schmaltzy waltz/rumba/contemporary in dedication to Steve Irwin.

It's not her fault the show is extremely predictable in the story beats they choose, and she could be charming and a very good dancer, but as of right now I'm not looking forward to her.

However, if there is a Switch Up this season, I hope Bindi gets Mark Ballas and they dance the Paso Doble with Mark dressed as a crocodile.

• Love 3

I'm going to be so disappointed if she doesn't do a Jive to Crocodile Rock at some point.

From rehearsal footage it looks like they have jive first week. I bet they do Crocodile Rock out the gate to get it out of the way. (First week tends to be "on the nose" with dance themes anyway. BINDI!!! YOU KNOW HER BECAUSE CROCODILES!!!) 

A pap asked Derek recently if they would be doing a dance to Crocodile Rock and he said, "You got me," meaning yes. They chatted a few seconds more and it seems almost certain they're doing a Jive to Crocodile Rock the first week.

I didn't see that coming. Thought she'd be good, but not that good.

Goes to show how great of a teacher Derek is. Her turns so so sharp too.

Looking forward to her tackling something emotional like a Waltz or Contemporary or even a serious dance like Paso or Argentine Tango.

• Love 2

Here's an interview with a poised and self-possessed Bindi Irwin:

She seems more socially mature than Shawn, Bethany or Sadie at 17. This is just an opinion formed from watching videos of her interviews and comparing my impressions and memories of them. She certainly has accomplished a lot for a young person her age. Whether she can dance or not is a different story, but I'm not concerned about how Derek will treat her. I have a feeling if he goes into perfectionist mode, this young lady will be able to disarm him in the manner of Kellie Pickler, or defend herself and maintain inner equilibrium at the same time.

Thanks a lot Danseur, now I'm crying!

• Love 1