Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Born

Setrakian and Fet use Fitzwilliam’s info to attack the Master, but a mysterious new player arrives. Dutch receives a surprise guest. Eph returns to NYC frustrated but energized to go after the one person responsible for killing his friends.

I've got to watch the whole thing, switched over from FTWD in time to see what's her name putting some moves on Palmer, which - ew, that's as gross as the vampires.  Not because of the age difference, but he's soooo creeeepy.  The way he says "my dearrr" makes my skin crawl.

Edited by raven
  • Love 5

The episode was okay. I was hoping for more of Quinlan interacting with the group. I cannot believe that Abraham has not told them about the Ancients or why he is looking for the book. However, the show did manage to gross me out when Coco slept with disgusting Palmer. I really hope that she is a plant by the Ancients. If not, ick, ick, ick!

Fet's reaction to Dutch and her girlfriend was not attractive. I felt for Eph. His plan blown to bits. I hope that he does get Palmer.

Zack seems to accept that his mother is a monster. I liked the scene where he reconciled with his father.

Edited by SimoneS

Good to watch Quinlan's backstory, but Vaun & Co.'s storyline seemed wasted or unnecessary.  I still want to know if they were the Born, what is their backstory, how they're related to Quinlan, etc.  This show has so many storylines but drops most of them.

Fet told off Eph and said that the group protected his son while he was in DC.  Finally.  These people that he hardly knows were willing to die to protect his son's constant bitchface.

Eph seemed pissed that Abraham told Zach about Kelly.  FU, Eph.  Abraham is telling Zach what he needs to hear in order to survive the vamp apocalypse.  Kelly's still out there.

Ugh, Dutch is back, and she brought her drama.  And she also brought her friend's drama. 

Love Fet, but he needs to get his head in the game.  He's always heroic and always wears his heart on his sleeve.  I have no idea why he would wear his heart for Dutch.  I have no interest in Fet/Dutch as endgame.  In another thread, somebody mentioned the Fet/Nora interaction in the church.  I can get behind Fet/Nora.

When Eph and Nora were talking, she told him about what happened at the church.  Eph said that he should have been there for Zach.  Ahhh, what about Nora?  What about everybody else?  Nora deserves better; she's an afterthought to Eph. 

Eph's last words: "I'm going to kill Eldritch Palmer."  No, first kill his assistant, Coco.  She's insufferable.  Then, you kill Palmer to ensure that we get more Eichhorst.

ETA:

Creme De Cacao busting it wide open for Monty Burns.

Then he still treats her like The help the next day

That's hilarious because she thinks her seduction skills are at a 10.  Despite her magical vagina, Palmer wouldn't have a problem with throwing her off the balcony to save himself.

Edited by spaulding
  • Love 2

I was glad Quinlan finally showed up.  After everyone all over the internet spent two seasons talking about this mysterious Quinlan who didn't yet exist, all I can say is he better be a BAMF.  Anything less and I'm done with this show.  Seriously, as much as he was talked about, he better be the best damn thing since sliced bread.

When Zach was talking to Setrakian, his eyes looked so demonic while the tone of his voice was quite inquisitive and angelic.  It was so weird.  I never know if this kid is going to gut someone or hug them.  

How many days have passed?  It seems like things are in the exact spot they were in episode one of this season. The virus appears to be holding steady, maybe the spread has even slowed down.  Kelly is still looking for Zach.  Palmer is still acting as though the Master is going to give him some eternal reward.  I guess the single major thing that happened was Eph's trip to DC, though the conclusion of that brought them right back to where they were.  They aren't even still spreading the vamp virus despite having it right there in that little lab.  This show is moving way too slow which tells me they maybe don't have enough material.  Which is fine.  I think a two or three season show would have been great.  Gives the opportunity for tight storytelling.  This bullshit of dragging out the same exact thing over and over with a bit of luchadore tossed in for unknown reasons is getting tedious.

But hey, Quinlan has arrived and he's supposed to be awesome so here's hoping.  

• Love 3

So... Quinlan is half vamp, half human, and the Master is sorta kinda his father? Or at least stung his mother while she was pregnant, since the vamps don't have their jiggly bits anymore.

I wish this show would just 100% focus on Quinlan hunting for the Master. I've had it with all the human story lines. I especially don't need to see Coco and Eldritch's budding...whatever the hell that is. I hope she's playing him. 

Amazing how Fet managed to plant the explosives in exactly the right place to cause a small amount of rubble to fall on the precise spot on which the Master happened to be standing at that very moment.

• Love 2

I just do not feel Dutch/Fet. I love them both as characters, but with each other? Nope. 

Whats the deal with Eph and Norma? Are they still kind of a thing? Do we know? Do we care?

I want more backstory on the actual vampires and their origins. 

• Love 1

What was up with Quinlan saying "now it's a proper duel" when Setrekian showed up but then getting all bitchy about Abe ruining his chances when the Master flew away? Did I blink and miss when Abe interfered?

ETA: so apparently the Master didn't fly off making a big commotion -- he escaped when an explosion went off - which is I guess why I was confused. It didn't occur to me that Fet and Set wouldn't have coordinated that Set would - oh, I don't know, get out of the building before the explosions started.

Edited by lulee

I know I'm suppose to find it wrong and whatnot, but I still maintain that Drunk Eph is Best Eph (especially now that the Hair is dead too.)  He was cracking me up throughout all of his scenes.  I especially loved when he drunkenly asked where Zach was while he was holding up his gun, because for a second, I really was like "Holy shit!  Does Drunk Eph want to shoot his son?!"

Dammit show, why do you feel the need to join in on the love triangle fad (a fad that frankly seems to have been going on since film/television has been invented.  And rarely seems to work)?  Because Dutch finds Nicki at her old apartment, so she's now at the base, and now Vasiliy being a little snit about it.  And I'm kind of annoyed with everyone.  First, Nicki was the one that abandoned Dutch like a punk, so the fact that Dutch doesn't even seem to give a shit about it, is annoying, and, if anything, they might want to look into it, because if Nicki still acts like that, she could easily endanger the group in the future.  Still, Vasiliy needs to be more mature about this, and quit being all pissy, and bringing it up while on missions.  Finally, Dutch needs to quit being so cagey with both of them, because it's making her look like a flake.  In the end, I think the best representation of this whole thing was Abe's annoyance over it.  I'm with you, Abe.

Quinlan's back-story was fun, and I liked him meeting up with Abe and Vasiliy.  Too bad it seems like the alliance was done before it even started.  Should have waited to blow up the place, guys.  Then again, maybe The Master really did have a trick up his sleeve, and would have beaten him.  Either way, I hope we get more Quinlan.

Palmer and Coco are really happening.  Great...

At least a couple of the characters managed to say a few words for the dearly departed Fitzwilliam.

• Love 3

I know I'm suppose to find it wrong and whatnot, but I still maintain that Drunk Eph is Best Eph (especially now that the Hair is dead too.)  He was cracking me up throughout all of his scenes.  I especially loved when he drunkenly asked where Zach was while he was holding up his gun, because for a second, I really was like "Holy shit!  Does Drunk Eph want to shoot his son?!"

It is horrible to say, but Eph is a hilarious drunk. Honestly, I don't blame him for drinking given what is going on. I cannot imagine what is must be like to be an addict or mentally ill in that emotionally stressful situation.

How the hell did Eph get back to Brooklyn in his condition ?  Caught a train or drove back to NYC from D.C with a gunshot wound to the shoulder, and somehow got around the quarantine ringing the city. Then gets drunk to the gills once he's back in Brooklyn and staggers back to Fet's lair in Red Hook.  It must have taken days for Eph to get back, but for everyone else it's like we just picked up from last episode.

Fet's jealousy issues wtih Dutch about Nikki can just stop already. No one cares, and they will probably kill off Niki anyway.

Quinlan is over 2000 years old and used to fight in the Colosseum -- didn't see that coming.  How did he hook up with the Ancients and why has he taken so long to do anything about the Master ?  In Quinlan's flashbacks they just jump from Roman times to 1873 -- did nothing happen of any importance in over 1800 years from the previous flashback ?  I'm guessing on the dates, just assuming that gladiator scene was somewhere around 1 A.D. -- considering that this show is so exact on street addresses, it would have been helpful to put a date on the gladiator match.

And there still lots of buildings on fire all over Manhattan -- is anyone even trying to put them out ?  Are these the same fires from days ago or new fires ?

I'm curious who donated their leg bone to make the handle of Quinlan's sword.

Weird -- yet another Gus-free episode.  So, the whole former Mexican wrestling movie star nonsense was just a waste of time ?

Weirder -- no councilwoman Justine Faraldo and progress update if Red Hook is clear and if they have moved on to other neighborhoods.

Weirdest -- with city in quarantine, fires burning in multiple buildings, and gangs of vamps running the streets at night people still keep going to work like it's any other day.  Like the guys at that factory.  I thought it was an abandoned factory, so why was a crew working outside it ?  Why was there a cement mixer parked next to the factory and a car behind that.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

Fet's jealousy issues wtih Dutch about Nikki can just stop already. No one cares, and they will probably kill off Niki anyway.

Amen to that!  I like Fet and don't want him mooning over the likes of Dutch who practically forget about him the moment she saw Nicky, you know the chick that ran off with her computer and money.  Sheesh.  Kill her off already.  I ship Fet and Nora big time.

• Love 3

Eph's last words: "I'm going to kill Eldritch Palmer."

Shut up Eph. You can A: Start producing the bio-weapon in mass quantities and save humanity or B: Waste time and energy going after the guy that had your hookup killed.

Hmmmmm What would be the best course? 

gaPeach:

I like Fet and don't want him mooning over the likes of Dutch who practically forget about him the moment she saw Nicky, you know the chick that ran off with her computer and money.  Sheesh.  Kill her off already.  I ship Fet and Nora big time.

Oooh! I actually like the Fet and Nora combo. Fet is led a little too much by his heart and he's obviously a combo of heart hurt and butthurt. Though even I, who have only set off legal fireworks, went  "That building is made of cement and the Master's place is underground. There is no way those few sticks of dynamite will do enough damage."

I refuse to believe the people at the village that Quinlan asked after the Giant at would have talked to him calmly.  I mean I think he's fine but he is still a pale dude with pointy ears and teeth.

And talking about thinking that Quinlan is fine...... I think the Roman Senator was trying to be a "Sponsor with benefits".

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 4

Like some folks in above posts, I'm low key shipping Nora and Fet.

Whom I'll  now call NorFet.

Am I the only one, noticing the writers possibly dropping some hints of that happening?

His urgency to save her in the Church last week.

Dude came up in there screaming for her, like Nora was his wifey.

Fitz assuming NuZack was their child.

Nora walking out after a shower, clad in only an oversized shirt.

Then standing near Fet, while they watched the news on tv and she dried her hair. 

What do you guys think?

• Love 1

I refuse to believe the people at the village that Quinlan asked after the Giant at would have talked to him calmly.  I mean I think he's fine but he is still a pale dude with pointy ears and teeth.

I had the same thought about the villagers. Boy, were they calm talking that mutant looking dude. I even thought the same at the Colosseum. I don't care how worldly the Romans were, Quinlan is one strange looking dude. You would think that they would have been freaked out a bit by his appearance.

• Love 5

"Oh yeah, the track star!"

• Love 3

Fet, jealousy is not attractive on you.  Or insecurity or whatever that was.  At least be worried that Dutch's ex was a plant to lure them out, or something.  Kevin Durand is quite the hunk of man, but that shoe polish coloring is over the top.  There's just no reason for it, the man is hot on his own.

I do enjoy Fet & Setrakian investigating and skulking.  I did give a laugh at the spider monkey vamps (climbing torso!) and their coordination and then hey Quinlan!  Nice to see someone who Gets Shit Done.   I agree with you folks that the villagers were way too calm and "hey, what's up" to the ghostly white, scarred guy who rides up all mysteriously.  But maybe that's why, they just thought magic or something?  No offense to Albanians from the 1800s.  

And ugh, if the good guys didn't feel the need to always talk at the Master, they could maybe have killed him by now.  Jeepers!  I know Fet's dynamite was ill-timed (and that was a dumb plan, with no guarantee they would kill the Master) then Quinlan might have gotten him, if not for the talking (and it would be end show of course).

Can we just have Setrakian, Quinlan and Fet, with Nora doing the science, against the vamps?  Eph can hang around and drink I guess. The bartender actually lectured him, in case we didn't notice that Eph was drinking!too quickly!  Oh and no Gus this ep?  He can come back if he joins up, he can fight.

Palmer and Coco Puffs - besides being ewwwww - boring!  Please stop with - whatever.

• Love 2

So, I guess with his nickname "The Born" and the mommy thing the Master said, they are probably lifting Blade's origin for this Gladiator guy? 

That seems both unoriginal and unnecessary. They already established that some vampires are opposed to the Master, they didn't really need to steal quite so obviously from such a well known source.

• Love 1

Eph has finally found a purpose; comic relief! I loved him. So snarky now that he's always drunk. I just enjoyed everything about him in the group scenes. More of that and less Eph the superhero. We've got Setrakian for that.

Coco Marchand needs to love herself. That is a creepy old man who is happy to see the city purged. That is not attractive. I can only hope she's latched on to him in an effort to stay alive rather than because she thinks Palmer is actually hot.

The love triangle was boring and I actually don't care about Quinlan. We're deep into the second season and I'm not saying don't introduce new people but I just didn't connect with him. The idea that he has a more important backstory with the Master than Setrakian bugs me. Setrakian's my guy. Don't replace him with a rubber mask. 

• Love 2

I hate triangles so goddamn much. I just wind hating everyone and this show is no exception. Fet? You are not a hormonal 15-year-old, so stop acting like one. Dutch, kindly remember that your girlfriend ditched you to die with a bunch of strangers and stole your money. Nikki . . . .um . . . you've been hiding because of a twisted ankle? Really? Ok. Oh, MrsRafaelBarba, you're not the only one who thought Nikki looked pregnant. That wardrobe was some sitcom level coverup. Sp weird.

Eph had some pretty great facial reactions to Fet when he was being all emo. It was like a cornucopia of "the fuck are you talking about?" expressions. Hee! Be drunk more, Dr. Goodweather!

Creme De Cacao busting it wide open for Monty Burns.

Dying.

After the episode where they danced together I was hoping Coco was some sort of undercover person (cop/FED/reporter) and was working some angle to get close to Palmer to try and expose his Bag O' Crazy, but damn. Ol' girl was exuberant about it too. I still don't understand why he wants to basically destroy everything. Like, lets say he does get to be like the master.........so what? What is the point if there's nothing to rule over or whatever.

I just do not feel Dutch/Fet. I love them both as characters, but with each other? Nope. 

Same here. Why can't they just be tall hot people who kill vombies and occasionally flirt with one another in a joking around sort of way?

Weirdest -- with city in quarantine, fires burning in multiple buildings, and gangs of vamps running the streets at night people still keep going to work like it's any other day.  Like the guys at that factory.  I thought it was an abandoned factory, so why was a crew working outside it ?  Why was there a cement mixer parked next to the factory and a car behind that.

Of all the dumb shit that exists on this show this is still the dumbest, As soon as I saw the workers I yelled "WHAT?!?!?!?!" at my tv.

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 2

So I called it on Eichhorst getting punked by Bolivar.*

Now I’m calling Coco as an assassin-ish plant. Femme fatale. There’s more than one way to be a whore. But if you’re gonna be one, do it up RIGHT.

*I don’t follow the book or the fandom and the only forum I read is this one. If others already know Coco is a plant (heh) (if she is), then I will be chagrined. But I’m coming at this from regular-ol’-viewer-ville.

• Love 1

I like Fet and Dutch as a couple. I think they have chemistry, but clearly any emotion on Dutch's part is due to the intensity of their circumstances so Fet is going to have to get over the drama because he has strigoi to kill and shit to blow up.

Regarding Nora, I don't see much chemistry or anything with Fet. They barely share any meaningful scenes together after all. 

• Love 2
Amazing how Fet managed to plant the explosives in exactly the right place to cause a small amount of rubble to fall on the precise spot on which the Master happened to be standing at that very moment.

Yeah, talk about plot contrivance at its worst.  Course, if Quin hadn't wasted time talking to the master, maybe he could have killed him before the roof collapsed.  Or maybe not, and the master would still have flown away.  Still, seems a bit 'why did it take so damn long' for Quin to get his butt to NYC in the first place.

Agreed that the whole thing about NYC still "working" despite fires and vamps is just too ridiculous.  And how in the hell did Eph get back to NYC, especially with his injured shoulder?  I mean, one can only suspend disbelief for so long.

• Love 2
And there still lots of buildings on fire all over Manhattan

Which is why I absolutely floved Coco's "What a wonderful day!" or whatever she quipped after their helicopter ride.  I mean, who doesn't love a good aerial view of NYC burning?

• Love 3

I don't see how trying to bring down the building is supposed to 'get' the Master. Plus, Fet didn't even bring it down, he just shifted it a little bit.

I've got to watch the whole thing, switched over from FTWD in time to see what's her name putting some moves on Palmer, which - ew, that's as gross as the vampires.  Not because of the age difference, but he's soooo creeeepy.  The way he says "my dearrr" makes my skin crawl.

I find it gross for all the above - he is old as hell and he is creepy. I hope Coco has a hidden agenda.

I like Fet and Dutch as a couple. I think they have chemistry, but clearly any emotion on Dutch's part is due to the intensity of their circumstances so Fet is going to have to get over the drama because he has strigoi to kill and shit to blow up.

Regarding Nora, I don't see much chemistry or anything with Fet. They barely share any meaningful scenes together after all. 

I don't know if I like Dutch and Fet as a couple, but I do like seeing a somewhat schmoopy Fet - so cute. However, add a triangle and I have become completely uninterested, especially in seeing Fet bothered and pissy about the re-appearance of her trifling girlfriend. 

Something about the new actor portraying Zach just screams bad seed/Omen. His constant bitchface and the with the way he holds his head, I expect him to have the numbers 666 somewhere on his body.

Blade, oops I mean Quinlan is a welcome addition. So glad he quickly dispatched the skitter kids. 

So glad to be spared Indian restaurant/Nacho Libre drama. 

• Love 1

vibeology

Coco Marchand needs to love herself. That is a creepy old man who is happy to see the city purged. That is not attractive.

Or a double agent as has been mentioned. But I'm really quoting this because I could not love this comment more. If you had an advice column for the Strain characters I would be all over it.

So... Quinlan is half vamp, half human, and the Master is sorta kinda his father? Or at least stung his mother while she was pregnant, since the vamps don't have their jiggly bits anymore.

I wish this show would just 100% focus on Quinlan hunting for the Master. I've had it with all the human story lines. I especially don't need to see Coco and Eldritch's budding...whatever the hell that is. I hope she's playing him. 

Yep, that made no sense.  I thought he was going to bring the whole building down.  And how would he know where the master would be and where the good guys would be. 

• Love 1

This was a timewaster episode - and there's no need for timewaster/placeholder episodes here.  It's already hard enough to understand why Gladiator hasn't been able to take out the Master in two thousand plus years - then we get a scenario where that's likely to happen - and then Setrakian and Fet blow the whole thing?  This brings us back into Lost storytelling in a bad way (in my opinion  any move in that direction is a bad way).

I had such high hopes for this show but they are really going off the rails.

1. How in the heck did Eph get back into NYC so fast??! They had half an episode showing how difficult it was getting out, yet he just seemed to stroll right back in with a bullet wound.

2. Someone should tell the actor playing Zach that he needs to use a different expression other than tilting his head and looking disgusted. He can go kick rocks.

3. I could care less about the Fet/Dutch/Other Girl (Niki, Nicole, whatever) triangle. Hopefully she will be strigoi food soon and Fet can go back to being awesome. I like both Fet and Dutch, but I agree with another poster, hated them together.

4. Quinlan made the episode for me, he was absolutely badass and that is exactly what this show needs.

I'm ready for the apocalypse to fully hit NYC because I'm really tired of the wishy washyness. One minute people are being eaten, the next, the factory workers are hanging out and the factory watching Fet blow up a building. It's almost like this show has 10 different writers in 10 different rooms and they're all just throwing stuff out and filming it in random order. Gus needs to stop making googly eyes and the cute Indian girl and hook up with the group and they need to start being awesome vampire hunters. That is what I am waiting for and why I'll keep watching.

And Coco and Palmer, NO. JUST NO. AND OH YEAH, DID I MENTION NO!! YUCK. Please tell me she has an angle other then I want to bump uglies with Palmer

• Love 1