Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Erin; Joshua

• Start Topic

A former rock-and-roll groupie who got hooked on Dilaudid prescribed to her for a neck injury has turned to prostitution to support her expensive habit, while her mother raises her 5-year-old son. Also: A heroin addict who suffered trauma as a child now lives in his car and runs scams to make money for drugs.

Don't know if I can watch this one. My drug of choice is Dilaudid, so this episode may be too much of a trigger for me. I don't want to be at the dealer's house after the show paying $35 for a pill. God, no.

• Love 7

Hello, my Intervention buddies! So glad I watched tonight's episode, because I got to see Sylvia giving it away! She looks so great, and she is just a sweetheart. Sadly, I'm never surprised when opiate addicts don't succeed. It's a bitch to get off and STAY OFF opiates. They fuck with your body and your brain to the point that some of us just can't stay clean for long. It's such a pity. I've never had kids, so I really don't know this for sure, but I think if I had a child like Erin's, I would have tried a little harder to recover. 10 days ain't shit, and obviously she didn't even want to try to stay clean. Joshua looked fantastic in rehab; I wouldn't have known he was the same guy. Unfortunately, both of these addict's bottom may be death.

• Love 5

I really thought Erin was going to be a success story.  From the first sentence that was aired, she sounded so trapped by her addiction, and so genuinely conflicted trying to reconcile motherhood with her addiction, that I was certain she'd accept right away, and we'd get to see her looking great and sober at the end.  That poor kid is doomed.  Sorry if that's harsh.  He seemed very strongly bonded to his mother, it will work against him.

And to the girlfriend, Alex: curses.

• Love 6

I really thought Erin was going to be a success story.  From the first sentence that was aired, she sounded so trapped by her addiction, and so genuinely conflicted trying to reconcile motherhood with her addiction, that I was certain she'd accept right away, and we'd get to see her looking great and sober at the end.  That poor kid is doomed.  Sorry if that's harsh.  He seemed very strongly bonded to his mother, it will work against him.

And to the girlfriend, Alex: curses.

I totally agree with everything you've written.
  • Love 1

Oof. Joshua's update hit me hard. Location unknown?! He seemed so much happier!

So happy to see Sylvia, but so sad to see my ultimate favorite interventionist Jeff rephrase his line. "Love you like mad" just doesn't flow.

• Love 4

I totally saw Gene Simmons!

Seeing Sylvia was awesome and I loved her approach to the intervention. I wondered what her style was going to be like and she was great!

Those updates were like a punch in the gut though. 

• Love 6

Just wondering if anyone else saw Gene Simmons as one of the blurred out rock stars in the Erin groupie pictures?

Yes! And the first pic they showed of her with a celebrity? Looked a little like Trace Adkins to me.
  • Love 2

When I saw Sylvia, I had one of those moments where, even though you're alone, you turn to absolutely no one and say, "Oh my god, look who it is!" She did a lovely job and looked great.

The updates were so sad, I really thought Erin would get it together for her son.

• Love 4

Anyone else call bullshit to Erins ' how i got addicted' story? Seems awfully convenient that she was already in the hospital and said she got in a fight with neck pain...hmm ok. I think she was addicted prior to the birth of her son and just says the 'hospital got me addicted' to kind of take the blame off her, especially since she was a groupie she would have been around drugs and alcohol a lot.

Sad she didnt make it through rehab, I feel bad for her son. Opiates are some scary shit. 

And I was so rooting for Joshua, he looked so great in his update and I was hoping he would pull through.  I am blaming Alex. Wonder what she said or did to make him leave and throw away all the progress he made. 

I was super excited to see Sylvia. Good for her!

Edit- I shouldnt have said blame, Joshua made his own choices. She clearly was the catalyst tho. Want to know the backstory still!

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 3

72.75. I don't think an episode has scored that high in awhile. I got busy.and missed most of it (I love DVR). And now with all the sad deprevity and both leaving rehab I think I will like the episode. What? I watch the episodes to see the drug/family disfunction.

We need a category "most addictive episodes".

Edited by Chaos Theory

Just wondering if anyone else saw Gene Simmons as one of the blurred out rock stars in the Erin groupie pictures?

Yes !    I thought it was him too.

I also did not believe the story about Erin/hospital/neck and them giving her Dilaudid.     They usually only give that to terminal patients and even then nowadays it is not even easy to get it for a terminal patient.

• Love 1

I remember being prepped for surgery a long time ago and a nurse asked me if I would like something to relax. "Well, since you asked, yes!" Shot goes in my IV and ~the heavens open up and angels sing just for me~!!! "Good God! What IS that stuff? Dilaudid? It's similar to heroin? Well, no WONDER people become addicted!"

Such a sad episode. I can relate. I suffered from INTENSE premenstrual cramp for years. I could feel intense pain in my ovaries during ovulation and my stomach, back and upper legs throbbed 5-7 days out of the month. When my period would finally start, I was relieved since the pain would cease until next month..

Doctor after doctor, no relief, thought I had endometriosis and had laparoscopic surgery. Nope. No idea why I have such crippling cramps. After no help with doctors, change of diet, exercise,and holistic means I finally began to self medicate. Vicodin, codeine, sometimes morphine, whatever allowed me to get at least 5 hours sleep at one time.

I heard if you have baby you won't have cramps anymore. Had my son no cramps while pregnant, but after delivery cramps came right back. I've been taking some sort of opiod for 15 years. Finally discovered that the  Mirena IUD not only elliminates my period, but also gets rid of the pesky cramps and hormonal migraines I'd get.

So great! I found a way to relieve my pain after all these years, but now i have a 15 year dependency that's a BITCH to stop. I've tried over and over again, but the withdrawal is hell and I relapse.

Similar to Erin, I have a 5 year old son and he is my reason I keep trying to get clean. I'm not as bad as she is, prostituting and reliant on my mother. I'm not shooting up, dopey and passing out. I work full-time and function like a normal person, but I'm a drug addict all the same.

Funny enough, I haven't gone near a pain med in almost a week and I got a phone call yesterday about a new supply coming in and I said, "Lose my number. I'm done with this stuff for good!" and hung up. I'm tired of it.

Don't get me wrong, I feel out of it. My body is trying to normalize itself and rebalance my endorphins. I'm crabby and I hurt everywhere, but it's temporary. I wish I knew a Mirena IUD would've provided me with relief years ago, but most doctors were useless. 

If I was Erin's mother, raising that sweet child, I would consider her measly 10 days in treatment my bottom line and forbid her from seeing her son again. I'd take it to court and gain sole custody. That boy deserves to be told the truth and and shown what real parents do for their kids. He has his mom built up in his head. He should be in therapy to understand none of this is his fault and to let him know he has a right to be angrry because he deserves a better mom.

I did feel for her being molested at age 11, but she's only in her 30's. Extensive counseling could help her to come to terms with her abuse. I got the feeling that Erin puts herself on a special pedestal. She convinced herself she'd be a rock star wife and that didn't pan out, but she still has delusions of grandeur. I wasn't buying her tears either. That was her acting audition and "big break" for the cameras.  

Joshua looked a completely new person. I was thrilled for him and then felt punched in the gut over his relapse. Damn. 

Edited by aurora296
  • Love 12

Well I finally watched the episode in its entirety. My two takeaways: drugs are very very bad and I want to watch the Sylvia episode.

@Sarah D. Bunting did you rate that episode?

I felt bad for both Erin and Josha. This episode was a perfect example that your cute as all hell kid isn't always enough to get you to stop and your co-dependent loved one is enough to get you to start again.

<~~~~edited to add Sylvia's episode is on Netflix!!!!!

Edited by Chaos Theory

Anyone else call bullshit to Erins ' how i got addicted' story? Seems awfully convenient that she was already in the hospital and said she got in a fight with neck pain...hmm ok. I think she was addicted prior to the birth of her son and just says the 'hospital got me addicted' to kind of take the blame off her, especially since she was a groupie she would have been around drugs and alcohol a lot.

Sad she didnt make it through rehab, I feel bad for her son. Opiates are some scary shit. 

And I was so rooting for Joshua, he looked so great in his update and I was hoping he would pull through.  I am blaming Alex. Wonder what she said or did to make him leave and throw away all the progress he made. 

I was super excited to see Sylvia. Good for her!

Edit- I shouldnt have said blame, Joshua made his own choices. She clearly was the catalyst tho. Want to know the backstory still!

I think her story about how she got hooked on Dilaudid was pure BS. Only a full-fledged quack would prescribe Dilaudid for neck pain UNLESS Erin was giving him blow jobs and screwing his brains out in exchange for the script. I'm betting she got hooked while she was screwing around with the musicians, and they may have hooked her up with a doctor to the celebrities. Erin has Hep C; I wonder how many STD's she had/has? She'll wind up in the cemetery, unfortunately.
  • Love 1

I don't find either of these two likable.  Joshua appears perfectly happy to return merchandise (meaning he goes to the store shelf, picks it up, and carries it and his 'borrowed' receipt to the cash register). It's people like him that have caused us to all have to fill out forms when we return items for cash. They check a database to see how often you've done returns.  I haven't finished the episode, but you have to want to change - he doesn't appear to want to. 

Erin may really feel guilty about her son, but she's all about herself.  I realize she (and many of other addicted people) was abused as a child.  But, she is NOT a child now, she is a Mom. It's been 25 years since that abuse.  Time for her to move past it.   I feel that you can't let episodes from your childhood ruin the rest of your life.  Using it as a reason to be addicted is doing just that. The abuser wins. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

I remember being prepped for surgery a long time ago and a nurse asked me if I would like something to relax. "Well, since you asked, yes!" Shot goes in my IV and ~the heavens open up and angels sing just for me~!!! "Good God! What IS that stuff? Dilaudid? It's similar to heroin? Well, no WONDER people become addicted!"

My brother had the same reaction. About 10 years ago he was hospitalized with pancreatitis and they gave him Dilaudid for the pain. He still speaks of it lovingly. 

I wonder if we should have an addictions thread...

As for the show, did anyone else feel that Joshua's mom was a bit lacking in affect? When his dad was dissolving in tears he made a reference to Joshua's mom being devastated - the camera panned to her, and she was just sitting there dry-eyed. Not condemning, just thought it was a little odd. Was heartbroken to find out he didn't make it - I so wanted to see "Joshua has been sober since xxx" after his amazing rehab recovery.

Love Sylvia. Even at her worst, you could tell she has a good heart.

Felt bad for Erin too, and her son. I think she found a convenient coping strategy in dissociation, and it was probably hard for her to let go of that in rehab.

• Love 1

When they said Erin was 35(6?), I'd have sworn she was like 45, at least. And then they go and show her high school-age picture and she looked EXACTLY THE SAME.

I was hoping they'd do a hairstyle make over on her when they showed the "after" interview. But alas, she's didn't get herself - or her hair - cleaned up.

Also sorry Sylvia didn't yell at her, "What about your baaaaaaaaby?"

I also agree that no way did she get Dilaudid because she complained about neck pain. I complain about neck pain and all my doctor does is give me a handout about how to exercise properly.

I think of Dilaudid fondly too, I've only had it once during a hospital stay. I was in unbearable pain and kept projectile vomiting (yay stomach issues). They gave me the tiniest amount possible too, like 1mg every 6-8hrs....I can see why people get addicted but at that point I was just happy to be able to sleep. There's no way she got it for neck pain, my doctor sent me to a pain clinic and they signed me up for PT and gave me steroid shots. Also, homegirl was scary looking. When she had her pair pulled back she looked like she was trying to tie her face up with it, I guess that was just how she looked but damn she has some strange features.

• Love 3

Such a sad episode. I can relate. I suffered from INTENSE premenstrual cramp for years. I could feel intense pain in my ovaries during ovulation and my stomach, back and upper legs throbbed 5-7 days out of the month. When my period would finally start, I was relieved since the pain would cease until next month..

Doctor after doctor, no relief, thought I had endometriosis and had laparoscopic surgery. Nope. No idea why I have such crippling cramps. After no help with doctors, change of diet, exercise,and holistic means I finally began to self medicate. Vicodin, codeine, sometimes morphine, whatever allowed me to get at least 5 hours sleep at one time.

I heard if you have baby you won't have cramps anymore. Had my son no cramps while pregnant, but after delivery cramps came right back. I've been taking some sort of opiod for 15 years. Finally discovered that the  Mirena IUD not only elliminates my period, but also gets rid of the pesky cramps and hormonal migraines I'd get.

So great! I found a way to relieve my pain after all these years, but now i have a 15 year dependency that's a BITCH to stop. I've tried over and over again, but the withdrawal is hell and I relapse.

Similar to Erin, I have a 5 year old son and he is my reason I keep trying to get clean. I'm not as bad as she is, prostituting and reliant on my mother. I'm not shooting up, dopey and passing out. I work full-time and function like a normal person, but I'm a drug addict all the same.

Funny enough, I haven't gone near a pain med in almost a week and I got a phone call yesterday about a new supply coming in and I said, "Lose my number. I'm done with this stuff for good!" and hung up. I'm tired of it.

Don't get me wrong, I feel out of it. My body is trying to normalize itself and rebalance my endorphins. I'm crabby and I hurt everywhere, but it's temporary. I wish I knew a Mirena IUD would've provided me with relief years ago, but most doctors were useless. 

If I was Erin's mother, raising that sweet child, I would consider her measly 10 days in treatment my bottom line and forbid her from seeing her son again. I'd take it to court and gain sole custody. That boy deserves to be told the truth and and shown what real parents do for their kids. He has his mom built up in his head. He should be in therapy to understand none of this is his fault and to let him know he has a right to be angrry because he deserves a better mom.

I did feel for her being molested at age 11, but she's only in her 30's. Extensive counseling could help her to come to terms with her abuse. I got the feeling that Erin puts herself on a special pedestal. She convinced herself she'd be a rock star wife and that didn't pan out, but she still has delusions of grandeur. I wasn't buying her tears either. That was her acting audition and "big break" for the cameras.  

Joshua looked a completely new person. I was thrilled for him and then felt punched in the gut over his relapse. Damn. 

Edited by Granimal

Dilaudid for neck pain - no way. There is a reason the Rolling Stones have a song called "Dancing With Mr. D" - and that was a definite Gene Simmons blur. No one else has that hairdo (or wants to). No mention of a father of her child. Sad - but l these parents who give rides and pin money and phones and everything else need to KNOCK IT OFF. Joshua looked SO much better - I had hope for him.

• Love 1

Hello, my Intervention buddies! So glad I watched tonight's episode, because I got to see Sylvia giving it away! She looks so great, and she is just a sweetheart. Sadly, I'm never surprised when opiate addicts don't succeed. It's a bitch to get off and STAY OFF opiates. They fuck with your body and your brain to the point that some of us just can't stay clean for long. It's such a pity. I've never had kids, so I really don't know this for sure, but I think if I had a child like Erin's, I would have tried a little harder to recover. 10 days ain't shit, and obviously she didn't even want to try to stay clean. Joshua looked fantastic in rehab; I wouldn't have known he was the same guy. Unfortunately, both of these addict's bottom may be death.

Glad you decided to watch. Dilaudid is my second pill of choice so these episodes are hard for me to watch too.

Anyway, I never have much hope that any long term opiate user is going to stay clean for long so I'm not surprised that Erin and Joshua relapsed.

I agree that Joshua looked great while he was in treatment and I thought for just a second that he was going to make it.

It was great to see Sylvia and I'm happy to see her using her experience to help others. Her episode broke my heart. I'll never forget her screaming for her babies.

On a shallow note, Erin's pulled back bun was making me crazy. I kept hoping that she would set her hair free because that bun was doing her no favors.

• Love 1

Looked a little like Trace Adkins to me.

I'm pretty sure that was Trace. My understanding is that he falls on and off the alcohol wagon.

Sexual abuse stories are so common in the media that they almost run together. Yet these addictions remind us how traumatizing and devastating the abuse is to each and every victim. It's heartbreaking and there's a special place in Hell for the religious abusers. So many of these children never have a chance. I have a friend who was abused by her father 50 years ago and she sleeps on a small cot inside a large walk-in closet. It's how she feels safe.

Sylvia! So awesome to see her alive and thriving!

And I'm amazed at what a little prescribed testosterone will do. I would never have recognized the transgender person from his intervention.

I'm glad some doctors are being very careful about prescribing painkillers. I had dental surgery last year and my dentist gave me a prescription for one pill.

Edited by pasdetrois

I'm pretty sure that was Trace. My understanding is that he falls on and off the alcohol wagon.

Sexual abuse stories are so common in the media that they almost run together. Yet these addictions remind us how traumatizing and devastating the abuse is to each and every victim. It's heartbreaking and there's a special place in Hell for the religious abusers. So many of these children never have a chance. I have a friend who was abused by her father 50 years ago and she sleeps on a small cot inside a large walk-in closet. It's how she feels safe.

Sylvia! So awesome to see her alive and thriving!

And I'm amazed at what a little prescribed testosterone will do. I would never have recognized the transgender person from his intervention.

I'm glad some doctors are being very careful about prescribing painkillers. I had dental surgery last year and my dentist gave me a prescription for one pill.

One pill? Damn, I hope it was a really simple, uncomplicated surgery! :-(

It was a significant surgery, yet he wanted to prescribe only Tylenol. It was only after I whined that he agreed to the pill (I think oxycodone?). Even a family member was on only Tylenol a few days after open-heart surgery. And this is with no history of drug abuse.

It depends on the doctor. I get chronic migraines and my doctor proscribes medication with 1/2 grain of Codeine. I get a refill every few months. My migraine have been bad lately so I asked about higher dose and he said there is a full grain option but wouldn't give it to me. He said to double up if I needed to. Problem is when I do I run out of pills. These kinds of meds at least for me are as needed and some times I have extra some times I run out. My doctor is concerned about me becoming dependant on them and who know I might be. My point is that some doctors keep a tight reign over what they proscribe even when their is a need like a family history of migraines. Some hand the worst kind of drugs like they are Pez.

It was a significant surgery, yet he wanted to prescribe only Tylenol. It was only after I whined that he agreed to the pill (I think oxycodone?). Even a family member was on only Tylenol a few days after open-heart surgery. And this is with no history of drug abuse.

This is kinda my soapbox. I know there are people who truly need opiates but can't get them because:

1) Addicts abuse them

2) DEA has put a noose around doctor's neck and have them scared to prescribe anything

3) Docs are afraid of non-addicts becoming addicted

In the state where I live, you pretty much have to go to a pain clinic in order to get opiates. And those pain clinics drug test randomly, call patients in for a pill count randomly and run a KASPER at every visit. Docs can no longer call in opiates; you have to go in to be examined. An ER doc can only prescribe 12 opiate pills to take home. No matter what type doctor you go to, they will run a KASPER as soon as you show up for an appointment, so they'll know up front if they're dealing with an addict. It's damn difficult to get opiates around here. Docs are even afraid to give narcotics to cancer patients, because they're afraid of getting in trouble with the DEA.

• Love 2
In the state where I live, you pretty much have to go to a pain clinic in order to get opiates. And those pain clinics drug test randomly, call patients in for a pill count randomly and run a KASPER at every visit. Docs can no longer call in opiates; you have to go in to be examined. An ER doc can only prescribe 12 opiate pills to take home. No matter what type doctor you go to, they will run a KASPER as soon as you show up for an appointment, so they'll know up front if they're dealing with an addict. It's damn difficult to get opiates around here. Docs are even afraid to give narcotics to cancer patients, because they're afraid of getting in trouble with the DEA.

Kansas? Or does KASPER refer to something other than Kansas Adult Supervised Population Electronic Repository? (Kansas Dept of Corrections offender search) (first hit when I googled it to see what it was - wasn't sure if it was some sort of diagnostic questionnaire, although those are easy for addicts to just lie on, or a quick criminal background check; other hits were about people or products named Kasper). 

Does this have more to do with Kansas being pretty conservative these days, or do they have a particularly bad drug problem, or were they relatively early to have an increase in opiate abuse during this current upcycle? (it's a very cyclical thing, opiate abuse, as is cocaine abuse - the generation after a major increase in use of one or the other tends to shy away from the one, meanwhile, use of the other drug tends to rise as people underestimate its dangers). 

Kansas? Or does KASPER refer to something other than Kansas Adult Supervised Population Electronic Repository? (Kansas Dept of Corrections offender search)

I'm not the original poster, but I would guess that it's an acronym for a prescription report. Ohio has one, too, called an OARRS: Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System. It shows the name of the med, the dosage, the prescribing doc, and which pharmacy filled it.

• Love 1

Kansas? Or does KASPER refer to something other than Kansas Adult Supervised Population Electronic Repository? (Kansas Dept of Corrections offender search) (first hit when I googled it to see what it was - wasn't sure if it was some sort of diagnostic questionnaire, although those are easy for addicts to just lie on, or a quick criminal background check; other hits were about people or products named Kasper). 

Does this have more to do with Kansas being pretty conservative these days, or do they have a particularly bad drug problem, or were they relatively early to have an increase in opiate abuse during this current upcycle? (it's a very cyclical thing, opiate abuse, as is cocaine abuse - the generation after a major increase in use of one or the other tends to shy away from the one, meanwhile, use of the other drug tends to rise as people underestimate its dangers).

KASPER = Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting

Any scheduled drugs that have been prescribed will show up on this report.

• Love 2
KASPER = Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting

Any scheduled drugs that have been prescribed will show up on this report.

Thanks. Seems like a sensible to thing to have.

• Love 1

I was given Dilaudid when I was hospitalized for a cerebral blod clot and I totally can see how people get addicted to it. I've never been quite so high and chill in my life. It made my head stop feeling like it was exploding and made me not care that I was in the ICU. I was hella nauseated by it though so it got paired with Zofran. But man the feeling of that drug going in was something. I would watch the clock until I could have more. I have to say that I was not pleased when they sent me and my still hurting head home on just bloody Tylenol.

It was great to see Sylvia back! I hope we see her again. I also really enjoy that they are doing the follow up videos with past interventionees. It's nice to see them doing well.

I've been catching up on the season, and was surprised to see that Josh lives right around the same area as me. I knew exactly where he was every time they filmed in a public area. Such a shame he relapsed like that... it made me so sad. My father was an addict (alcohol, crack, meth--he lost his battle a few years ago), and I remember the frustration, disappointment, and anger every time he would get clean for several months only to relapse in a similar way. I really hope they were able to locate Josh and get him back into a program, because he was looking so good. Ugh.

I just saw this on a marathon of Interventions... and that was definatley Gene Simmons.  She also had several pictures with him, in various places... while he was with Shannon.  Shocker, I know. But notice how dark her son is?  Sorry to be a consipiracy theorist here... but..... as to her dilaudid stsrt story... It's bull.. but I don't know that I blame her for the bull.... she was running with some high powered shit there.... and I'm quite sure they got her started on it, and I'm quite sure whoever it was would have sued the shit out of A&E and possibly killed the junkie hooker ex groupie over it.  I feel sorry for her, she is one twisted ball of yarn, and I'm quite sure the music business made it all the worse.  Makes me hate Simmons even more for his obviously spending more than one night with someone as damaged as Erin, he must get his kicks out of dominating people.

On 8/23/2015 at 2:57 PM, farmgal4 said:

This is kinda my soapbox. I know there are people who truly need opiates but can't get them because:

1) Addicts abuse them

2) DEA has put a noose around doctor's neck and have them scared to prescribe anything

3) Docs are afraid of non-addicts becoming addicted

Hello, fellow Kentuckian! I hear you on the soapbox. I am a chronic pain patient (a connective tissue disorder that gives me rheumatoid arthritis in all of my major joints and causes my organs and muscles and involuntarily rupture) and I get that runaround. I got called in for a random drug count last spring. Husband and daughter had to come pick me up from home to take me. On the way, a car rammed into them at a stop light. Totaled our vehicle, sent both of them to the hospital. Even with a police report denoting the time, the pain doctor fired me for not showing up. 

That was definitely Gene Simmons in some of the shots but in the first picture of her with the cowboy in the black hat, it was John Michael Montgomery, not Trace Adkins. I'd know that black studded hat and and sleeveless top anywhere. (Not only am I a big country music fan and a bit of a historian, but he's from around here. Seen him a lot.) Not sure who the other cowboy was. It wasn't Trace either, though, because he didn't have any facial hair and wasn't tall enough. (Going by her height against JMM, she is probably around 5'4". Trace is nearly 7 feet tall and she came almost to white cowboy's forehead.) He actually looks a LOT like George Strait's son, Bubba. But Bubba is not a singer. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 1