Type keyword(s) to search

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Oh...will I be avoiding all social media, or will I be desperately searching for spoilers so I do not cry in theaters in front of people...choices are hard! 

I, for one, will be seeking out every spoiler I can, otherwise this movie will kill me.

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 2

I, for one, will be seeking out every spoiler I can, otherwise this movie will kill me.

Right!! If it's horrible I just might activate my selective memory refusing to acknowledge all the bad things.

• Love 1

I'm going to look for spoilers too, this movie might be too emotional for me otherwise. Lifting the embrago this early, shows that marvel is very confident in this movie.

• Love 1

I'm going to look for spoilers too, this movie might be too emotional for me otherwise. Lifting the embrago this early, shows that marvel is very confident in this movie.

I agree.  Marvel must gotten a lot of very positive feedback from the screenings to lift the embargo so quickly.

I wonder if their decision to lift the embargo so early is due to the mixed to negative reaction to Batman V Superman? Kind of like "move out of the way, DC, and let us show you how to do a good guy vs good guy superhero epic!" kind of move? 

I swear my finger has been hovering over my Twitter App all day, debating if I want to spoiler hunt or not. 

• Love 2
The only spoiler I want to know ahead of time is if we finally get to see Steve shirtless again.

Well if this tweet is sincere:

Monika Scott ‏@MightyMonika 13h13 hours ago Los Angeles, CA

There's a p cool gratuitous Cap-bicep scene in CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR is this a helpful review?

• Love 3
I wonder if their decision to lift the embargo so early is due to the mixed to negative reaction to Batman V Superman? Kind of like "move out of the way, DC, and let us show you how to do a good guy vs good guy superhero epic!" kind of move?

That was literally the first thing I thought of--that Marvel is doing it because they want to capitalize on the terrible reviews and not-so-great word of mouth BvS has gotten. I'm not sure it will actually do much--maybe people disenchanted by BvS decide to give this movie a go, but maybe it dilutes some of the build-up and excitement--but props to Marvel for trying to be opportunistic and seize the moment. They're much smarter than the WB, who apparently were the only ones who didn't see the Snyder-helmed BvS disappointment coming.

• Love 3

These tweets alleviate some fears of the movie having so many characters and if it's still a Captain America movie:

Sarah ‏@Cinesnark 7h7 hours ago

Cap - Lead
Bucky - Co-lead
Iron Man
Sam/Natasha
Black Panther
Everyone Else
Ant-Man/Spider-Man - Scene stealers

Sarah ‏@Cinesnark 7h7 hours ago

Which is what I've been saying for nearly a year. It's a Cap story, about Bucky, with a new take on Iron Man, and a LOT of characters.

• Love 2
Bucky - Co-lead

I like that. I know that people who have only seen the movies haven't been given too much reason to care about Bucky so far, but if they could do the comic book story any sort of justice, then I'll be happier about all the extra characters being thrown in.

Of course, as for the Civil War comic, Bucky was almost completely uninvolved. He was still keeping away from Steve, doing some jobs for Nick Fury, and trying to come to terms with his new life. He had a really nice one-shot, Winter Kills, where he started the story helping the Young Avengers out of a jam, and ended it hanging out with Namor at an old mutual friend's grave, reminiscing about the good times (WWII). I'd recommend that to anyone who wants to get a good handle on his character

• Love 1

I love the footage from last night.  I like the demostration of Falcon and Scarlet Witch using their powers/skills together.

Edited by vb68

I also like that in the press conference Chris Evans admits Steve may be acting selfishly than he usually would because of

Peggy's death

. Bucky being his old family and the Avengers his new and he chooses Bucky.

"You've got the most selfless guy in comic books saying: "I care a little bit more about my relationship than what it means to you guys."

Edited by VCRTracking

It's been revealed that

Sharon and Steve do kiss in this movie

and people are already up in arms about it. Superheroes fighting each other, one or two of which might die, and *that's* what they're upset about. *rolls eyes*

New scene shows the fundamental issue Steve and Tony are debating, and I gotta say I see both sides in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQnCIR_deQ&nohtml5=False

I love the clip of Scott Lang meeting Steve and the other members of his side(Sam, Wanda, Clint and Bucky) and it already makes me smile. They say because Ant Man on Team Cap and Spider-Man on Team Iron Man aren't personally involved in the stakes they bring a lot of levity to the proceedings and I think that was a brilliant move by the filmmakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHDiWnB7RPw

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

It's been revealed that

Sharon and Steve do kiss in this movie

and people are already up in arms about it. Superheroes fighting each other, one or two of which might die, and *that's* what they're upset about. *rolls eyes*

It breaks ships. There is a lot of investment out there amongst the fandom for their ships.

But this doesn't surprise me too much. Really, given the supernova of charm and charisma that Haley Atwell is as Peggy Carter and the over-whelming love and support she has gotten from the fandom, no one who follows that is going to have an easy time.

Unless it's Bucky.

• Love 3

Geez. Wasn't Sharon his girlfriend in the comics for decades? I get the uncomfortable nature of dating both the aunt and then the niece, but Cap is basically a one way time traveler. If Sharon is okay with it, that should be the end of it.  The whole point is that Peggy went on with her life.

• Love 2

I don't think the hate comes from Steve/Peggy shippers.  It's the Steve/Bucky shippers, based on what I've seen.  (And it's also because there was an interview saying the kiss was "surprising."  Steve/Sharon aren't surprising.)  And agreed that the shipping wars are beyond nasty. 

Personally, I give a big old shrug.  I'm a Stucky fan, but I figure there's fanfic.  I'm just happy they have a close relationship in the movie from everything I've heard.

• Love 5

Geez. Wasn't Sharon his girlfriend in the comics for decades? I get the uncomfortable nature of dating both the aunt and then the niece, but Cap is basically a one way time traveler. If Sharon is okay with it, that should be the end of it.  The whole point is that Peggy went on with her life.

THIS. SO MUCH.

I'm still hoping that things get a little further than a kiss, but I guess that isn't happening in this movie. ;)

• Love 2

I'm a stucky shipper and staron kissing dosen't suprise me, i was expecting that. I just hope its earned in the movie. Shipping has always been a nasty business, especially on tumblr. This is nothing new, its in every large fandom with good and bad from both sides; star trek, starwars, harry potter, arrow, the flash, marvel. I've seen them all, however it is important to note that the bad comes from a loud few, majority just watch the movie, enjoys the interactions between their favourites and read fanfics.

I feel for staron because they are getting hate, not just from one pairing, you have stucky, stony, steve/sam, steggy, steve/nat, lol. And it dosen't help that these other characters have been on mcu longer than sharon and are well loved. Sam was introduced along with sharon, but i've never seen anyone who hates sam, i believe it has to do with Anthony mackie's charisma and chemistry with other actors. Also sharon have not had a lot of screen time and from the spoilers and promo's i don't think she's going to have much in cacw. She might makeout with steve, staron shipper can atleast enjoy that i guess.

I saw the antman and cap clip, can't stop smiling. Antman is the only mcu movie i am yet to watch. I have it on my laptop, will watch it before cacw. The mtv clip is badass, this movie is going to be awesome.

• Love 1

Geez. Wasn't Sharon his girlfriend in the comics for decades? I get the uncomfortable nature of dating both the aunt and then the niece, but Cap is basically a one way time traveler. If Sharon is okay with it, that should be the end of it. The whole point is that Peggy went on with her life.

Yes she was. And while they'd been broken up for a while, Ed Brubaker had them reunite while they were searching for Bucky. It was inevitable that the movie would use Sharon as a love interest for Steve.

Peggy got married, possibly to the dull Sousa, so i think Steve is entitled to move on. As for Steve/Bucky, that was always a complete nonstarter. Both characters are straight in the comics, and Marvel were never going to make either gay in the movie. So any fans of that will have to stick to fan fiction, because that's the only way they're getting it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

It breaks ships. There is a lot of investment out there amongst the fandom for their ships.

But this doesn't surprise me too much. Really, given the supernova of charm and charisma that Haley Atwell is as Peggy Carter and the over-whelming love and support she has gotten from the fandom, no one who follows that is going to have an easy time.

In my eyes Sharon is a HUGE step down from Peggy Carter.  Both the actress and the character IMO but it is what it is.  I'm surprised there is so much investment in Captain America's love life since I think both movies managed to go so far beyond that in terms of interesting plot.    Outside of the Peggy Carter characater, I've enjoyed him opposite Natasha but since that's off the table, I can just roll my eyes at Steve/Sharon and hope it doesn't monopolize too much screentime (hoping it doesn't cut into Black Widow's screentime as the Captain America writers always do awesome things with the character).   I don't think I care enough to get bash-happy with my dislike but then again MCU Romance is......off IMO.   Steve/Sharon, Hawkeye/Random, Natasha/Bruce?!?!?!  None are dealbreakers but in terms of Natsha, if JW wasn't going to go the Hawkeye route I wish he would have left room for an eventual Bucky/Black Widow like in the comics.   Ed Brubaker's CA run was my first real exposure to the Captain America character and it lived up to the hype.

• Love 1

I haven't read any of the comments above, because I don't want to be spoiled, but I saw a couple of trailers on my teevee and DAYUM!!!

I am SO EXCITED for this! And I'm TOTALLY going to see it! TEAM CAPTAIN AMERICA!!!!!

And I'd like to know Stan Sebastian's secret: How does he manage to look so much younger than his real life age?

• Love 5

I would love bucky/nat on screen.

You know most shippers don't ship because there is a chance for their ship to be canon, people just go for what they like. As far as they are not hurting anybody, I say let people ship what they like. I've never read a comic book and I suspect that atleast 90% of the people who are going to watch this movie world wide have never read a captain america comic book, so comic book staron will not stop them from shipping whatever relationship they like. I do agree that less focus on romance is good for mcu, their strength have never been romance, tony/pepper is the only ship they got right.

Please when do we start getting the reviews?

• Love 3

And I'd like to know Stan Sebastian's secret: How does he manage to look so much younger than his real life age?

Isn't he Romanian? Then he's obviously a vampire. Mystery solved. 

Count me in as among those who would absolutely love to see some Bucky/Nat. I loved them in the comics. At the same time, I'm not overly invested in romantic relationships in the MCU. It seems ripe for a gigantic polyamory-fest to be honest. Everybody loves everybody! Whee! Fun times for all!

• Love 6

I don't know. Is he? If he is, agree, obviously a vampire! I wonder if Becky Herbst* is related to him!

*Someone else who hasn't aged a BIT over the last two decades.  Fellow/Former GH viewers know of whom I speaketh.

• Love 3

This is a good thing... to have both sides have good points to make. That's how it should be in this kind of story.

As for Bucky/Nat, yeah, I'm not expecting anything like that to happen. I'd love it if it did but I don't think it's remotely likely. I'll deal. :)

• Love 1

I think we aren't talking about the most important thing about this film:  Vision wearing a turtleneck sweater.

EDIT:  Apparently, it is actually a V-neck

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

I don't know. Is he?

He and a few of the others were on Jimmy Kimmel the other night and apparently he speaks Romanian, so I would assume so (if not, that's an interesting language to want to learn :).    If you haven't seen the clip, you should--it's fun. 

• Love 1

Yeah, he was born in Romania (thanks Wikipedia!) then moved to Vienna, Austria with his mother and then to New York state where his mother married a teacher there. His alma mater is Rutgers. Nice. 

So it's confirmed, right? He's a vampire. Dark hair, fair skin, smoldering good looks, from Romania. (Granted, I know that Transylvania is on the opposite side of the country from where Sebastian was born but why bother with semantics?)

Sidenote: I absolutely want to learn Romanian because I figure it will get easier as I learn the other Romance languages... of which Romanian is one.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 6

Steggy 4life, but I'm fine with Steve moving on. peggy got to move on eventually (I love Sousa :P) so he should be able to, too. The problem is is that I don't give a hoot about Sharon and found her completely bland and unmemorable in Winter Soldier.

Don't care that much about Bucky either, which is a crazy unpopular opinion. I understand his relevance and his friendship with Steve, but I just don't really care about him. The internet's obsession with him will forever be a mystery to me.

I'm here for Tony, Rhodey, Vision and Black Panther. Spidey looks fun too.

• Love 2

Yes she was. And while they'd been broken up for a while, Ed Brubaker had them reunite while they were searching for Bucky. It was inevitable that the movie would use Sharon as a love interest for Steve.

Peggy got married, possibly to the dull Sousa, so i think Steve is entitled to move on. As for Steve/Bucky, that was always a complete nonstarter. Both characters are straight in the comics, and Marvel were never going to make either gay in the movie. So any fans of that will have to stick to fan fiction, because that's the only way they're getting it.

It's not just a nonstarter, it veers into dumb. Take the prototypical example as "slashy" superhero partnerships: Batman & Robin. 

That's almost entirely built on two things: Modern reinterpretations of old scenes from the comic book with language like "you told a real boner, Bruce!" and the even more amped up cheesiness in the Batman TV show. 

I'm sure some of that was present in the old Cap stories too. 

But the key thing about that slashy subtext is that it was just that--subtext. And if we're being 100% honest REINTERPRETED subtext, not intended subtext.

It makes people feeling proprietary about it, and apparently insulted it's not given real form, pretty stupid. The MCU isn't being written as a parody of Marvel Comics, where subtext can be joyfully explored. It's being written as a modernization/new media synthesis of it. 

There's plenty of room to explore same-sex relationships in comics and comic-based movies and TV.  IMO it's self-defeating to get upset that an exploration of it that has traditionally been, at best, a tongue-in-cheek joke is being trumped by a relationship that legitimately was explored in the comics for decades.

Not to mention that Bucky was what when he was introduced? 14?  So people want Cap to have been diddling a young teen?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Bucky is a tragic character, brain washed and turned into an assassin against his will and sebastain is hot, i get why people love him, especially women lol. I get what you are saying, the winter soldier did not show us his pov, so it might be hard for some people to connect to him. But i believe we might get into his head in this one, thats one of the things i'm looking foward to in this movie and black panther!

I just hope that both sides are right and noone is villified so that they can all reconcile at the end of the movie.

• Love 1

In the MCU, Bucky was the same age as Steve from jump. I mean, people can say whatever the hell they want about Cap and Bucky in the comics... fact is, the whole thing was typical of the time (we need someone young to bring in the young readers, someone they can relate to... actually, that's still something that people use as a means of reaching a specific demographic) but it is weird to look back and go 'Captain America was running around World War 2 front lines with a teenager?

Bucky has been reinvented a couple of times. Brubaker brought him back and set him up as... what, a teenaged wetworks operative? But, you know, comics are comics... retcons galore. It's the nature of the beast. The Ultimates universe had him be more along the lines of what he is in the MCU.

So, MCU fans that ship Steve/Bucky... that's fine. They're the same age, they're long time friends, there's scads of hurt/comfort to work with. They're played by extremely good looking men. I get the appeal. And there are lots of pairings out there for Steve... and for Tony... let's be honest, fandom will come up with any number of pairings. That's just the way it is.

The unfortunate thing you see in fandom is particular members of a ship villainizing the female romantic lead because she's 'in the way' of the preferred slash pairing. In the case of People Involved in Steve Rogers' Life, Peggy is almost universally beloved so she doesn't get that treatment. But Sharon is a different story. She is absolutely Steve's long time love interest in the comics but she doesn't have much of a presence in the MCU so far. She's easy pickings in that case. Plus, you know, she's not Peggy. That's not her fault but Peggy in the MCU is a hard act to follow. And, let's be honest, the comics doing that mess in the first place... Steve keeping it in the family is a bit on the unsavory side. Initially Sharon was just Peggy's younger sister! (Because it hadn't been 70 years when they defrosted in in the pages.)

Times have changed and so have the demographics of the audience. It's just not cool to be all 'Well, now you're old so I'm going to start going out with your younger, hotter, blonder niece, 'kay?' I actually think that Steve's continued devotion to Peggy in the MCU is beautiful but it's also something that makes me wonder exactly how Sharon fits into it when all is said and done.

• Love 6