Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

Not another old tv show being rebooted instead of developing new ideas.   The whole thing about Murphy Brown was it was groundbreaking for its time.   Now it will just be "hey, look characters with the same name in a tv studio."   Candice Bergen is a fine actress.   But Murphy Brown was a product of the 90s.    Leave it there.   Do something that is a product of the 2010s.

• Love 7

This strikes me as a show that was of its time, in a positive way to be sure, but I'm not seeing how it's relevant to now. 

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The whole thing about Murphy Brown was it was groundbreaking for its time

Beat me to it. 

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Do something that is a product of the 2010s.

Here's a pitch: how about a sitcom about a news show in the age of ignorance and 'fake news' with a government that's essentially declared war on the media and may be compromised by a foreign power. The fact that it's so ominous and depressing makes it ripe for comedy. 

That took me literally 9 seconds to come up with. 

• Love 5

And then there are the Magnum P.I. and Cagney & Lacey reboots that were announced just today.

Seriously, producers.  These shows -- and I'm also including Roseanne, Dynasty, and Will & Grace here -- were perfect for their day because they were the products of their day and were designed to reflect the cultural sensibilities of their day.  What was funny, fresh, and original 20-40 (!) years ago just isn't going to work in 2018 because we've simply evolved too much since then.  Please, leave the 70s, 80s, and 90s in the past.  Join the rest of us in the 21st Century!

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Cagney & Lacey reboot

Oh, hell no.

By all means, make a cop show starring two women as partners, especially if written as a feminist show like the original was, but invent new characters.  That might replace Major Crimes as the only cop show I watch.  Casting new people and calling them Christine Cagney and Mary Beth Lacey?  Screw that.

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And then there are the Magnum P.I. and Cagney & Lacey reboots that were announced just today.

Seriously, producers.  These shows -- and I'm also including Roseanne, Dynasty, and Will & Grace here -- were perfect for their day because they were the products of their day and were designed to reflect the cultural sensibilities of their day.  What was funny, fresh, and original 20-40 (!) years ago just isn't going to work in 2018 because we've simply evolved too much since then.  Please, leave the 70s, 80s, and 90s in the past.  Join the rest of us in the 21st Century!

Actually, they were announced--at least the development of the Magnum 1 was--over the summer. They (Magnum & C&L) were given actual pilot commitments today.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an extraneous letter.
5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Actually, they were announced--at least the development of the Magnum 1 was--over the summer. They (Magnum & C&L) were given actual pilot commitments today.

That's even worse.  And from what I understand, the Magnum fans aren't having any of it -- they hate the idea of a Magnum without Tom Selleck, in fact!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, hell no.

By all means, make a cop show starring two women as partners, especially if written as a feminist show like the original was, but invent new characters.  That might replace Major Crimes as the only cop show I watch.  Casting new people and calling them Christine Cagney and Mary Beth Lacey?  Screw that.

This. Hell no.

2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

No no no to the Magnum reboot. The original is a classic. I'm cool with the Will and Grace one as it shows the characters living their lives in the present. But some shows are truly products of their era (in a good way) and need to be remembered as such.

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Making sure to skip both.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's even worse.  And from what I understand, the Magnum fans aren't having any of it -- they hate the idea of a Magnum without Tom Selleck, in fact!

As I understand it there has been talks of a movie, like Starsky and Hutch or 21 jump Street, a reboot like Hawaii 5-0 or MacGyver and a continuation with Magnum's daughter over the past few years

On 1/24/2018 at 11:56 PM, legaleagle53 said:

It will be interesting to see how everyone has evolved over the past 20 years.

I'm not sure we will get everyone though.

A Murphy Brown reboot is far from the worst idea, because news anchors occasionally do have careers that long, although a reality of the business is that they often have to shift to emeritus status instead of being primary anchors and become more like commentators. Also Candice Bergen is one of the few I think who could pull this off, and the politics of the character, and the current attacks on the news media's integrity, almost demands this be done.  But even if their fictional show, FYI, plays up it's resemblance to the real life 60 Minutes, which had the longest-standing roster of personalities on it, even that show has totally turned over it's cast now from the days when Murphy Brown being on the air. Not a single original 60 Minute anchor is left, and most aren't even still alive. The producer of FYI certainly wouldn't be the same now either. As much as people won't like it, to have even a tiny bit of reality, the only scenario which really works is Murphy being in a new environment as an emeritus commentator/correspondent. Corky, as the young character, would be the only logical character for her to run into again, and maybe Miles, since you could spin the idea of Miles showrunning a new show with Corky as the face and bringing Murphy in on it.  

• Love 3
On 1/28/2018 at 11:44 AM, 2727 said:

Sabrina the Teenage Witch, anyone? Now darker and edgier!

I'm actually into the idea. It's apparently based on the comic The Chilling Tales of Sabrina and it was supposed to be a pretty good comic.

The Heathers reboot is landing with a big thud, at least in terms of reaction to the trailer. Kind of glad, honestly. There's just something really annoying about their "Oh, we're being edgy and subversive by making the villains into typically marginalized kids!" yet still making J.D. and Veronica pretty straight white people.

Edited by methodwriter85
23 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

Holly Marie Combs kinda came off as very unlikeable in her remarks, especially in her very rude arguments with the writer of the (not yet ordered) Roswell reboot (if you read all the tweets they exchanged, boy). Weird to say since she always seemed like the most likeable of the leads when the show was on the air. Meanwhile Shannen Doherty takes the high road.

It's funny they consider the show "feminist" though, because it really wasn't, aside from having women as the lead.

(Also of old WB shows getting the reboot/revival treatment, I wouldn't have thought that Gilmore Girls, Charmed and Roswell would get there before Buffy. But maybe for the best.)

You might've misread, or I misunderstood you (apologies if it's the latter). They weren't saying the original version of Charmed was "feminist". The reboot is supposed to be "feminist", however.

3 hours ago, Tanichka said:

NO to all reboots. Never seen one that wasn’t a disappointment.  Get some original programs, I beg you!!!  

Indeed.  Otherwise, what are we going to bitch about when 2038 and 2048 roll around and the networks want to start rebooting shows from 2018?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Indeed.  Otherwise, what are we going to bitch about when 2038 and 2048 roll around and the networks want to start rebooting shows from 2018?

You mean you're not curious about 2048's Magnum PI reboot.  I want to see what they keep from the 1980's original, the 2018 reboot and the 2036 reboot.

Seriously, it's starting to look like that old video effect when they point the camera into the monitor.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Tanichka said:

NO to all reboots. Never seen one that wasn’t a disappointment.  Get some original programs, I beg you!!!  

Well in some ways this TV Line article, which I also linked to upthread, says/implies at/toward the end, if I'm reading it right, that we're getting so many reboots because viewers complain so much about the "new" ideas & then wish we had more shows like (insert name of show here). So all the reboots are being blamed on "nostalgic" viewers.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Well in some ways this TV Line article, which I also linked to upthread, says/implies at/toward the end, if I'm reading it right, that we're getting so many reboots because viewers complain so much about the "new" ideas & then wish we had more shows like (insert name of show here). So all the reboots are being blamed on "nostalgic" viewers.

Having more shows like the classics of yesteryear does not mean having carbon copies of them.  There's a reason nobody has dared to reboot I Love Lucy, for example.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, magicdog said:

Maybe not a direct reboot but Lucille Ball was brought back several times to essentially play the same character in slightly different settings.  Even many of the original ILL writers came with her.

Those didn't work either.

8 hours ago, magicdog said:

Maybe not a direct reboot but Lucille Ball was brought back several times to essentially play the same character in slightly different settings.  Even many of the original ILL writers came with her.

And supporting actors were also around for multiple series. Among them, actress Mary Jane Croft, who appeared in I Love Lucy as 1 character, then was in The Lucy Show & Here's Lucy as a different character, which she played in both shows; & actor Gale Gordon, who was in all 4 of Lucy's shows, I Love Lucy all the way through Life with Lucy.

• Love 1

None of which refutes my point.  Where would you find a Lucille Ball, a Desi Arnaz, a Vivian Vance, and a William Frawley in 2018 that would have the exact same type of chemistry that the originals did (to say nothing of the talented writers and supporting actors)? And exactly how would you rewrite many of Lucy's classic episodes (which would be considered culturally archaic by modern standards) to fit them into 2018 reality? It's called "lightning in a bottle," and it's the real reason we've never had a true remake or reboot of ILL since the original ended.

Has there every been a reboot on an eponymous show?  I would think that protects a show like Seinfeld, I Love Lucy or the Dick Van Dyke show from being redone.  (In theory, they could continue Seinfeld but not do it with a new cast.) 

The original post was about reboots of eponymous shows, though - Roseanne is a revival (as are Murphy Brown, The X-Files, and Will & Grace, but those aren't named after the stars like the cited Jerry Seinfeld, Lucille Ball, and Dick Van Dyke shows).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Has there every been a reboot on an eponymous show? I would think that protects a show like Seinfeld, I Love Lucy or the Dick Van Dyke show from being redone.  (In theory, they could continue Seinfeld but not do it with a new cast.) 

I'm not completely sure how you'd classify it--it was probably just a whole new show unto itself--but from 1971-1974, CBS aired The New Dick Van Dyke Show. It was created by Carl Reiner, but the characters & actors were all different. The title was the closest thing to a reboot from the original, & it had the word "New" added to it. It started during a period when Dick (I think & family) was living in the Phoenix/Cave Creek/Carefree, Arizona area. I don't know if he just wanted a change from California or if he was semi-retiring, or what. This show was basically the same format as the original--the eps were a mix of his work life & co-workers & his family life. He was a local TV talk show host in Phoenix the first 2 seasons; the third season, amid declining ratings, Dick's character suddenly became the star of a daytime drama set in/around a hospital & taped in LA--the soap character Dick played was a doctor--& the family (& real life filming of the show) moved to LA.

And then we have The Arsenio Hall Show. It was a syndicated talk show, usually airing after the late local news, that ran from 1989-1994. Then it was brought back in 2013-2014 & was very similar to, though not an exact copy of, the original. The media seems to say they this was a "revival" not a reboot. It did well enough to get a second season, but something, I don't know what, subsequently happened & the show ended after just that 1 season.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, Silverglitter said:

Maybe I've just fallen into that whole "everything was much better in my day" trap. Cause I realized that all the music and movies and video games that I like are all from when I was a kid/teenager.

You and me both!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

You and me both!

Table for three.  It's definitely a generational thing, however.  As a child of the 60s and 70s, I tend to view anything from about 1985 onward through a far different lens than I do the fare I grew up watching, and for that matter, the stuff that my parents would have grown up watching leaves me cold for the most part (The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy being two notable exceptions because even though they were both the products of their time and would be considered out-of-date, if not downright archaic, if produced exactly the same way today, for the most part, they transcend time).

• Love 3

Occasionally I'll go against the theme of my own thread and post about a reboot that actually works.

To my pleasant surprise, the Queer Eye reboot... actually does.

I was deeply skeptical going in. A lot of people tend to forget about how important this show was the first around. There were other shows that tried to normalize and bring acceptance to being gay. None of them, zero, did it half as well, as successfully as Queer Eye. I contend it did more for Gay-Straight relations than anything else in American culture up to that point. And maybe even since. Rather than as cartoon characters, it showed gay men as caring, intelligent, well rounded people worth getting to know, who you were happy to bring into your home and lives, who weren't disease carriers, plotting to give you AIDS (I know the thought sounds ridiculous, but that's how some thought of gay people before that), who weren't a bunch of screaming-Mimis who straight people couldn't identify with, and due admittedly to careful casting of both the Fab 5 and the people they helped, as well I'm sure leaving a lot of unpleasant stuff on the cutting room floor, also was one of the few reality shows at that point, and maybe even more so since, which were about positivity. The show not only didn't cast for drama... it discouraged it. The point of the show wasn't really about makeovers, it was about putting good out into the world.

The reboot surprisingly remembers this. The makeovers. both style and home, really aren't all that big or expensive. I doubt you could really say most people are transformed by the process. But it doesn't matter. Because that's not the point. The show marches right in and reminds a country in grave danger of a cultural backslide that gay people are normal human beings. Good human beings. And again, admittedly it might be edited or cast to make sure of this, but the show as aired (well, streamed) shows that good begets good. The reboot is still about being decent human beings. 

The first episode of the show simply had a guy who looked like a total hillbilly, but who was one of the sweetest most open people you could imagine. The second episode had a guy who at times came off as a smarmy jerk, but in the end I did wind up believing he'd opened up by the end. The third episode, where I am up to now, had a real challenge. A big ol' fat Southern Cop with a Make America Great Hat in his closet.   With not only this bunch of gay guys, but a black gay guy as well. And shockingly the show addressed this head on.  Yes it's still possible that off camera the Cop was muttering racist or super defensive things under his breath about the touchy black guy being afraid and unfriendly to him, but on camera there was a frank seeming discussion about race and cops. Maybe not the world's deepest conversation, but it just existing at all on a show like this was significant.

At least three episodes in... I give this a big recommendation. The guys aren't quite as magnetic as the original crew, and are a little more self-aware about the fact that this is all being filmed. but they're growing on me.

• Love 4
On 2/7/2018 at 1:08 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Does any else think that the Powers That Be think simply having a lesbian sister makes the show "feminist" because all lesbians are militant feminists, right? Meanwhile I'll be shocked if the lesbian sister ISN'T a femme that still appeals to the male demographic like Shay Mitchell on Pretty Little Liars.

The New Adventures of Leave It To Beaver was a reboot of the original show, with the surviving cast members intact, and basically had the same premise of Fuller House, only the Beaver had gotten divorced instead of widowed. It wasn't a good show from all accounts but it managed to last 4 seasons in the mid/late 1980's in first-run syndication.

I thought a reboot of the Donna Reed Show with Shelley Fabares as the mom this time taking place somewhere in the mid/late 1980's would have been nice. Of course, Donna Reed died in her mid-60's so that probably wouldn't have worked. (Weird to think Shelley has outlived her t.v. mother by 10 years at this point.)

I never watched the Bradys but wow it sounds like a total disaster. The one thing that Fuller House got right is that people weren't coming back to watch their wholesome t.v. family become a character drama so they stuck to a similar tone.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Does any else think that the Powers That Be think simply having a lesbian sister makes the show "feminist" because all lesbians are militant feminists, right? Meanwhile I'll be shocked if the lesbian sister ISN'T a femme that still appeals to the male demographic like Shay Mitchell on Pretty Little Liars.

No.  I don't think that's what makes them think the show is feminist. This is the overview as presented:

This fierce, funny, feminist reboot of the original series centers on three sisters in a college town who discover they are witches. Between vanquishing supernatural demons, tearing down the patriarchy, and maintaining familial bonds, a witch’s work is never done.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2018 at 8:51 AM, Raja said:

In a replay of Tom Cruise and Jack Reacher the purist are screaming because he is not NBA tall like Tom Selleck.

My hate is because why?  There’s already an ex-Navy SEAL in HI on tv, and it’s a Peter Lenkov show, too.

How is Magnum gonna be any different from McGarrett?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

My hate is because why?  There’s already an ex-Navy SEAL in HI on tv, and it’s a Peter Lenkov show, too.

Maybe he won’t consider himself above the law. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

32 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Maybe he won’t consider himself above the law. 

I was getting ready to type a passionate defense of McGarrett, but then remembered that there's a rebooted Hawaii 5-0! Because Jack Lord's Steve McGarrett DEFINITELY did NOT consider himself above the law!

• Love 7