Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: Dish of a Lifetime and Pilots

• Start Topic

Like many other people, I'm not surprised to see Dom back, Giada must have read someone the riot act. I think Jay is going to be one of the final two, but Eddie doesn't seem like such a sure thing anymore, he wasn't great tonight. I guess we'll find out next week.

I don't think that the type of show they had them do for the pilots is necessarily the show the winner will do, I think they just wanted them all to do the same thing so they would be comparing apples to apples & not apples to oranges.

I've put up with a lot of BS from reality show competitions.   A lot of reality show competitions.  I've seen really bad decisions, really bad seasons, obviously rigged outcomes.  I sat through the Gretchen season of Project Runway and the season of HGTV Design Star where it was later revealed that the winner was, like, one of the judge's next door neighbors.  

I watched every season of Design Star (did they cancel it?) & this is the first I've heard of this, who was the winner?

• Love 5

I'm not buying Eddie's Caribbean POV. I'm not convinced he has a true handle on chilis and he doesn't exude authority for me. I buy his sports persona and what he might bring to the table health wise, including managing cheat days.

I like watching Matthew. He's ridiculously good TV.

This show makes me realize how much I missed the summer version of Top Chef.

• Love 4

I agree that it's all about what they want on the network to attract viewers, and I think that in determining that they consider the race/ethnicity and region of the people who are featured on the channel.  To me the network skews Southern, it skews white, and it skews male.

Live every media outlet, FN is trying to cater to their demographic. They are not trying to expand people's boundaries or provide a democratic representation of all the regional and ethnic cuisines to be found in America. I hate to say this, because I can't stand watch him, but DD&D with Guy Fieri is about the only place on the network where you will get an insight into just how many different kinds of cooking are being done across America. And where you will see ethnic or national cuisines that are otherwise invisible on FN. (ie Eastern European, Central American).

As for this episode, I know that the "pilot" they film doesn't always reflect the actual show the winner will get. But, still, WTF?  I guess there's no longer any doubt that Food Network is really The Food Travel Network.

After hearing all season about Jay's Cajun/Louisiana food POV, his show is going to be about visiting places that do deep fried food?? And tonight we see promos for new shows about carnival foods and beach eats, which I'm sure are going to be heavy on fried foods. In additional to all the other fried/barbecue/southern shows the network already has. With the exception of a precious few holdovers from the "old Food Network," like Ina Garten, all FN shows are now pretty much the same celebration of fat and sugar.

Comparing Jay's show and Eddie's pilots made the differences between them crystal clear. Eddie is so much more natural. He engaged in actual conversation with the restaurant owner he visited. Jay treats people like they're just a prop there for his use. He doesn't talk with people. He talks at them. And his arrogance really turns me off. In his TH segments, everything he does is "the best." And I don't think this is producer manipulation. I think that's his true personality. I would never watch his show.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8

I don't think they've shown any favoritism towards Dom for reasons other than what they think he has to offer them and the network.  I think they see a personal magnetism in him, plus he can cook.  This BS about being perfect on screen is a cover for their real motivations, IMHO.  They're looking for star quality, or an "it" factor, not a perfect robot newscaster.  They can teach the camera stuff, they can't teach the "it" factor.

This is a guy who has, repeatedly, fled the stage because he's so terrified and tongue tied in front of an audience. That's not "star quality". Dom is a Charisma Black Hole. Watching him hunch his shoulders and clutch the counter for dear life so that he doesn't barf from stage fright while everybody else in the room clenches their buttocks from embarrassment - that's not what FN is hoping to bring to their viewers. In fact, the Food Network producers don't like Dom at all. It's just Giada who has her heart set on him.

The favoritism is that they didn't bounce this clown on Day 1. Or Day 2. Or Day 3 ... or any other day that he repeatedly shit the bed. If he's managed to improve, I suspect it's because he's been getting private lessons, therapy, and maybe some prescription mood stabilizers. I also suspect that the reason everyone is doing taste, talk, & travel shows is because Dom can't cook & talk at the same time.

He's not a natural on camera. He's not a natural talent. He's not particularly attractive, or well-spoken, or funny. Lordy, he is *so* painful when he tries to be funny.

And yes, his "joke" was misogynistic, as was his insistence on side-lining Michelle, and his stupid-temper tantrum because she mentioned the ingredients and he was too dumb to think of anything else to say. That's the real misogynistic part of the joke - Dom wasn't joking. He was being rude because he was angry at Michelle.

To hell with this show. I'm out, too.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 20

I don't watch reality television (exception: SYTYCD) and I really don't watch Food Network, but when my Mom visited at the end of June she asked me to tape the first 3 eps of FNS so she could watch them when she got here as she loooves the Food Network.  So of course I got sucked in.

It seemed pretty clear that Dom was produced to be if not the winner than runner up.  I don't even buy that he was ever bad on camera really.  He's been perfectly fine doing the talking heads since ep1 which is talking to a camera!  My Mom & I text about the show regularly now (of course) and I mentioned this several weeks ago and she was all "oh, I see what you mean." They just set that up so he would be "overcoming" something or some such nonsense.

Since all the pilots ended up being travel shows, Alex actually would've been perfect at that!!  He could do the "50 States, 50 sandwiches" map and then have a Throwdown type thing or make his own version of that states' sandwich. I would watch that in a hot minute.  

Of the pilot shown tonight the only one I care about is (you guessed it), Doms' because it would have a history element.

• Love 2

He gives me the creeps. Am I the only one?

You are not, he reminds me of an infomercal sales person. He is not someone that I would enjoy watching.

Since when, has Eddie said that he gives a damm about BBQ.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 1

This is a guy who has, repeatedly, fled the stage because he's so terrified and tongue tied in front of an audience. That's not "star quality". Dom is a Charisma Black Hole. Watching him hunch his shoulders and clutch the counter for dear life so that he doesn't barf from stage fright while everybody else in the room clenches their buttocks from embarrassment - that's not what FN is hoping to bring to their viewers. In fact, the Food Network producers don't like Dom at all. It's just Giada who has her heart set on him.

Star quality, IMHO transcends all of that mundane stuff - And he does have fans who think he has plenty of charisma and LOVE that he's not "perfect" because they say it makes him all the more easy to relate to as a real person, just like  them - Someone who is more genuine and not just an announcer.  I have seen this sentiment repeated over and over again on social media.  FN knows it can work with someone to bring them up to speed on all the other stuff.  Dom's fans are crazy about him, but who is getting that excited about Jay?  I just can't imagine it.  I can see fans getting excited about Eddie because he's got a lot going for him and is very attractive, although I haven't really been keeping up with him. 

I have been watching this show since season 1 and I don't know when it became all about being a perfect "newscaster" or "infomercial huckster" because that hasn't always been their only or primary focus.  Truthfully I still don't think it is despite what this season has led people on to believe.  Witness Amy Finley who wasn't completely "camera ready" either.   Or marble mouth Aaron McCargo.  Or Chelsea Nixon, who didn't win but vastly improved her credibility to get a show on the Cooking Channel.  They have been willing to work with people before.  And I don't think it's just Giada who likes Dom - I think Bobby does too.  Plus, I can't forget that TPTB were willing to let freaking lunatic LENNY win last year - Probably against both Bobby and Giada's wishes, which is probably why she is being so insistent this year.  I can't say that I blame her.

And yes, his "joke" was misogynistic, as was his insistence on side-lining Michelle, and his stupid-temper tantrum because she mentioned the ingredients and he was too dumb to think of anything else to say. That's the real misogynistic part of the joke - Dom wasn't joking. He was being rude because he was angry at Michelle.

I think he was being kind to Michelle because as we later found out, she turned out to be a basket case.  I can only imagine that she must have been completely insufferable for him to have reacted like that.

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting that the show decided to make the pilots as "visit other people's restaurants" this season. It was a good idea, as all 3 will end up being pretty good, since they are easier to pull off than a standard in the kitchen show.

It also means that Eddie will just eek out the win over Jay, and I am okay with that. Eddie is personable, attractive, and loves food. He would be a fine winner. I don't think they would let Jay go without finding something for him as well.

Speaking of sexist or misogynist, the 800 pound gorilla in the room is Guy Fieri, who has been accused of being that plus homophobic by his former producer, amongst others who have worked with him.  Meanwhile the crickets chirp about him and the knives come out for Dom, who made one relatively innocuous comment.  Go figure.  I'd rather watch 25 seasons of Dom than stand one more freaking minute of Guy.  If Dom is the one who can FINALLY help free the channel from the Guy monopoly, I think his winning would be totally worth it.  And truthfully, I even think Tony Bourdain would agree given his recent comments about Guy.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

What kind of "food authority" does Dom have if some random 15 year old puts in eight times as much of an ingredient as he calls for into his recipe, and he doesn't even notice when he tastes it?

• Love 4

Dom's food has never been the target of any doubt whatsoever by the judges, so even if hashtag douchebag attempted sabotage on him, I'm sure they would have given him a pass on that.  Plus, having made bolognese many times, I know it can hold up to a little extra onion in it.  I am usually on the light side with onion myself and I think Dom was being on the conservative side with it to begin with.

Meanwhile the crickets chirp about him and the knives come out for Dom, who made one relatively innocuous comment.  Go figure. 

That is a product of this show and its competition. As we are judging these people and rooting for or against them, we tend to magnify mistakes and successes.

I rooted for Nicole over Lenny last year, and I was often frustrated by the "she is dead to me" because she misrepresented the type of cured ham once.

• Love 2

That is a product of this show and its competition. As we are judging these people and rooting for or against them, we tend to magnify mistakes and successes.

You have a point, but the level of vitriol so far I don't get.

• Love 1

It's time us Northeasterners have a Food Network Star.  Pretty much the only star on the network that I know of who is a New Yorker is Bobby.

Nancy Fuller and Ina Garten live in New York.  And Rachael Ray does too, doesn't she?  I saw a commercial last night for a new show with her.

There seem to be several New Yorkers on there.

• Love 1

Love Dom, hate Dom.... please keep discussion to what happened on this episode, NOT your personal feelings about him. I think everyone has made their point now and repeating it over and over isn't going to change someone else's opinion. Move on, please.

• Love 3

Well, I guess now we know why the contestants didn't do a live-to-camera cooking demo on Rachel Ray's talk show this season, as they have for the last few seasons (& as was previously wondered about this season, in this forum): She was the Food Network personality selected to produce/direct the contestants' mini Pilot presentations this season. Their being on her show as well would've been a bit redundant.

• Love 1

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good episode.

The part where they brought back the Star Salvation person was quick, and since there really wasn't a lot of difference overall between the third most likely to win person and the Star Salvation winner, it was harmless. If anything, Dom beating out Arnold made the show a little bit more interesting.  It's not like he beat out Jay or Eddie, who have been the clear front-runners for a while now (Jay -  Episode 2, Eddie since about Episode 4).

I once again liked the way Bobby and Giada so clearly like the contestants and speak to them in a way that seems genuine as opposed to them just going through the motions of being a judge.  I wish I could remember a specific example of what I mean by that.  And of course it is nice to see Bob and Susie add something to process. By the way, if anybody gets a chance to watch this episode again, check out the way Bobby and Giada look at Susie and Bob when they speak. They both appear to be listening very carefully and absorbing everything. It's kind of cool.

Another thing that was good about this episode is the way each of the final four made food that was almost exactly what I would expect from them. Arnold made a beautiful and interesting dish, but the time constraint tripped him up and one element wasn't good enough. Dom made excellent, somewhat traditional Italian food. Eddie made a reasonable dish that I would probably consider making myself, but he skimped out on the heat and got a "good but not great" review. And Jay made a big plate full of Cajun style food that was well executed and received. 

Even the pilots went along the similar line of what we've seen from the final three. The only time Dom seemed to be relaxed was when he was done talking for the camera and sharing a drink with the people at the table. Eddie was terrific once he started to interact with the chef, and I'm sure his pilot will be terrific since they put him in the exact situation where he does well.  And Jay was really good on camera, enthusiastic about the food, and did most of the things he needed to do to be competent. The big difference between the final two is that Jay has a physique for radio, and Eddie doesn't.

• Love 3

If you go by the mini pilots shown last night, Eddie is the winner, they showed both Jay and Dom screwing up. That being said, not so sure Eddie is the winner. They have edited Dom weird, almost like they are trying to fake us out.

Now, with respect to something else, anybody else notice how Alex got the short end of the stick? He didn't get to do a "mini pilot" and was not part of Star Salvation. This is simliar to Top Chef where they screw somebody over too. Why not have one more mini episode of Star Salvation after Alex was chopped and give him a chance to return via Star Salvation. He was the only person not in the finals who didn't get a chance to return.

Still saying if Jay wins he ought to do a new version of Justin Wilson, just go cajun and creole, FN has very little of that on the air. While I agree that they have enough road shows showing restaurants, I still support the idea of Eddie, if he wins, going to game day sites around the country in his food truck. He can both sample the tailgate fare, sports bars in those towns, and he can cook up some of the local food to the cities where he is at in his food truck.

Dom? Uh, isn't there already alot of Italian themed food stuff on FN and other cooking channels?

Now, with respect to something else, anybody else notice how Alex got the short end of the stick? He didn't get to do a "mini pilot" and was not part of Star Salvation. This is simliar to Top Chef where they screw somebody over too. Why not have one more mini episode of Star Salvation after Alex was chopped and give him a chance to return via Star Salvation. He was the only person not in the finals who didn't get a chance to return.

Alex was part of Star Salvation. He, Rue and Dom were the final three contestants there. Dom won and got to return. They each did a short video about their favorite bite, describing the flavor of their favorite food. Alex made a grilled cheese sandwich.

• Love 4

Eddie is lucky he didn't make that dish for the Chopped judges. [Zakarian voice] "You put a pepper like that on a a plate and you could KILL somebody."

I thought it was really interesting that we didn't really see Dom interacting with the owner of the restaurant. He does a lot better when he speaks directly to the camera and doesn't have to deal with anything else. Rachael made a point of working with Jay and Eddie on how they would introduce their respective hosts. Dom, not so much for some reason.

That skill is kind of important if your show is about traveling around the country talking to people.

• Love 4

A lot of what I wanted to say has already been covered up-thread (too many to like everybody's posts) ... 

I think Dom's star quality is real - not because I like him (I don't) but because my kids do.  They're rooting for him even though they can see him screwing up.  They aren't even sure exactly why they like him.

I have always liked FNS because it's the most honest reality show on television. Yes, I believe they cast it with only a few real contenders and a bunch of chaff but the judges are the producers are the people who run the network. They want an interesting show but they also are choosing the people they want to represent the network - and the process that they want to show us for picking that person. They also are more than happy to hire other people from the show who they think have something to offer and keep winners on the air for well beyond their minimum run and cast them in other projects.  If they decide to eliminate someone even after they've aced a particular challenge, it's for the unstated but honest reason that THEY don't want to hire that guy and s/he no longer serves a useful function on the show.  I know that sounds manipulated and dishonest to some but to me it's honest.

As for this specific episode, I wasn't disappointed with Dom coming back because I couldn't see what Rue's final dish had to do with her point of view and Alex never seems more than pleasant to me and because Dom really nailed SS.  (I still don't believe that he has such stage fright or why would he have sought out this show?)  I thought Rachel Ray was really very good at working with them and helping them shine without telling them what to do. Her reaction to Jay was perfect and I thought it was fine with Eddie too -- she's way more famous than they are and their boss for that day. Jay invaded her personal space in a way that looked slightly uncomfortable and she said something slightly funny to let him know that she didn't mind but that it wasn't totally OK. Her lines with Eddie helped put him at ease as to what he was selling in his pilot and as we've seen, he generally works better in that mode.

Since it's Kermit and Medusa's choice as to the winner, I think it's only between Eddie and Jay. If Lenny hadn't happened, Jay would have seemed the safest choice. Now Eddie's past as a pro-football player means that he's been vetted for longer so I'm not sure which they'll pick.

For my money, Eddie could use a few more years of culinary training but has a higher ceiling than Jay.  (If he did a lifestyle/exercise/cooking/eating show instead of straight food, I think he could be a hit tomorrow.) Also, I wouldn't be surprised if FN keeps hooks in Dom and Arnold too.  Both of them have shown potential and seemed to have been liked by the Network so it would make sense if they do a bunch of FN demos and events around the country and eventually get worked into the rotation somewhere.

• Love 3

For my money, Eddie could use a few more years of culinary training but has a higher ceiling than Jay.

I almost used the term higher ceiling for Eddie. I think that is a big reason why he will be selected as the winner.  That, and because by setting them up to do restaurant visit shows, Eddie's pilot will be better.

As for years of culinary training, I think Eddie has more than enough enthusiasm for great food to still put together shows as an authority.  He can use the Food Network kitchens to work out some kinks with any recipes, and I would expect him to consider that time working with the Food Network as a positive where he continue developing his own skills.

Dom's food has never been the target of any doubt whatsoever by the judges, so even if hashtag douchebag attempted sabotage on him, I'm sure they would have given him a pass on that.  Plus, having made bolognese many times, I know it can hold up to a little extra onion in it.  I am usually on the light side with onion myself and I think Dom was being on the conservative side with it to begin with.

I was more shocked by the idea that he thought he could throw together a real bolognese sauce in 45 minutes. That's a 2+ hour slow simmer sauce in this Italian household.

Despite hating a lot of things about this season, I do think this is one of the strongest top three's we've seen in some time. I've been a fan of Eddie since he was on MasterChef season 4 and he really has charisma, even if I'm not so sure about the food he's been putting out there (sometimes I think he's as confused about what his POV is supposed to be as Bobby, Giada and the Network). Jay has done some great stuff when he sticks to Cajun food, he's smooth, but for some reason I'm just not sold and I really am not interested in a fried food show :( Where the heck did that come from?

Dom is the one who has actually done food that *I'd* want to cook...it's Italian that really comes across as coming from a place of knowledge and love for the cuisine like none of the others. That's why I'd be disappointed if he got saddled with a show traveling around to red gravy Italian-American joints.

Edited by sockii

I was glad to see Alex chosen first as the sous chef.  I think Alex seems like a terrific guy and despite the unfortunate haircut, is really cute and has a warm personality. 

It hit me -- I predict Giada is going to work Dom into her Italian shows in some way and they're going to become an Italian cooking duo.  Not all the time, but I bet that's her plan.

I still really like Jay a lot.  He is genuine and good-hearted and sure knows how to cook. 

Eddie is terrific and if he'd lose the "ladies man" shtick, I'd enjoy watching his shows.  Forget the Caribbean thing; forget the cheat day; just cook great food.

Sad to see Arnold go -- what a "lovebug" he is and a little snarky too -- great combo.  Not surprised he was eliminated, but so glad to have gotten to know him on this show.  Feel that we'll see him again.

Hated how Giada looked into Bobby's eyes when she was choosing the numbers for the guys to draw sous chefs.  Come on.......

No idea how this thing is going to end up!

• Love 2

I have to renew my complaint about what a jumble this show is -- Is it is a serious cooking competition? Then giving 45 minutes to cook "the dish of a lifetime" is ridiculous. Is it about preparing people for a cooking show? Then they need more "talk about the food" type challenges. Is it mostly about hosting the kind of shows FN wants? Then why so much emphasis on how the food tastes throughout? 

I know it is actually just designed for the best ratings for this specific show, but STILL. 

• Love 5

Tonight was the first time I really understood what they have seen in Jay. He's really, really good at this.

Is Jay a radio host or something? Because I can totally see someone in that industry being good at talking, filling time, wrapping it up, stretching it out, and thinking on their feet in a witty kind of way. I get it. OR maybe I'm confused about his profession.

I had no idea what the heck Dom was making with that pasta that starts with the letter "A." I should prolly get out more. :)

Dom is the one who has actually done food that *I'd* want to cook...it's Italian that really comes across as coming from a place of knowledge and love for the cuisine like none of the others. That's why I'd be disappointed if he got saddled with a show traveling around to red gravy Italian-American joints.

I was kind of hoping they'd do something like Jeff Mauro did on his show, where they go to an iconic restaurant featuring food from their POV, talk to the owner/chef about a dish and then show us how to reproduce it in the kitchen at home in a traditional talk and stir show.  I like the idea of being shown how to make authentic recipes that approach what's being cooked in trendy and/or iconic restaurants.  I think any of the finalists could pull off a show like that pretty well.

Well, so much for shows showing how to cook Cajun/creole or Carribean or African or even a decent entertaining show.  It seems that what FN wants is more travel and taste shows.  Frankly, with DDD being on 90% of the time I'm not sure why they need another, but they're certainly loading up with them and the game shows (most of which seem to be tanking anyway). Why even bother with the cooking point of the competition and the emphasis on POV if they are going to assign them a semi-random theme of restaurants to visit. (and I am still absolutely convinced that Symon's new show was supposed to be triple-B and meant for Fieri who turned it down so they altered the name slightly and called in Symon who seems to be their typical back-up guy).

• Love 2

AGAIN Dom brings up that he didn't want to be in front of a camera. I have to wonder if someone from Food Network didn't spot Dom somewhere, take a shine to him, and encourage him to try out. I can't figure out why else someone who HATED the idea of being in front of a camera would even bother trying out for a show like this. (I mean, the idea of jumping from a plane freaks me out, but you don't see me auditioning for "America's Next Best Parachuter.") 

That said, I don't mind Dom, and I think he did... OK on his pilot. Not bad, not fantastic. He was also the only one who got a pilot that even somewhat related to his purported POV. Eddie and Jay both got warmed-over Deen Brothers stuff. 

Going by the pilots, I'd say Eddie all the way, and then maybe Dom. Eddie seemed naturally cheerful and warm. Dom, I find good until *he* says he's nervous and starts flubbing. I can't vibe with Jay, and the pilot did him no favors IMO--not to say he did poorly, but it just left me "meh."

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 6

There is something about Jay's delivery that doesn't work for me. He's personable, he's enthusiastic, he clearly knows his stuff ... but I don't think I want to listen to him on a show each week.

• Love 5

I like Arnold. I genuinely felt bad when they cut him. In the past few episodes, he just sort of melted down when he was on camera. This never ceases to surprise me because he's actually pretty engaging.

It was nice to see Boyfriend Eddie move on, but I figured that he would. I think he did a fine job on his pilot, but I have to agree that I'm not sure I get Caribbean cuisine from him. I think he needs a better handle on it. With the exception of the one challenge, Eddie's a natural in front of the camera and engages others really well.

Then again, so does Jay. His food has been the most consistent throughout this challenge (save for the gumbo, the children's snacks). We know he can perform for the camera, so I can see him taking this entire competition. Hopefully he holds it together because during his pilot shooting, he bungled a bit in his commercial.

As far as Dom, I figured he'd be the one back and I'm sure Giada is mostly behind that. Dom doesn't do much for me, but I'd eat any food he served because all of it looks delicious. One thing I wondered about was that Dom chose Matthew as his sous chef (which makes perfect sense because despite Matthew's immaturity, he's a talented chef) was, did Matthew's interpretation of the sauce help keep Dom in the competition?

I should re-watch that segment, but I deleted the episode already. Dom's camera presentation has improved, but he still has a lot of work to do on that end.

I thought that Rachel did a great job mentoring all the guys.

I liked Eddie's pilot the best, he looked like he was having fun without having to fake it (Jay) or flub and redo (Dom). The one thing about Eddie that may work against him is his grammar. It may not be a big thing with some people, but it is with me.

• Love 3

I agree, Bella. I can't put my finger on it. I don't find him creepy, I just find him "empty" parts of the time.

I sincerely hope that the travel and taste demos were just to get everyone to have similar shows to judge between and won't actually be their show if they win. Let these guys cook!

• Love 2

Eddie is not Caribbean.  There, I've said it.  As someone who was born and raised there, there's nothing about his food that screams island to me.  It's always jerk spices, or spicy this and spicy that.   Edward, it's not all spice!  It just seems very one-dimensional or what someone who's been to Jamaica a few times think island food is all about.    The only pilot I was interested in seeing was Arnold's though... I mean, do we really need to see Jay going around to cajun/southern places or Eddie going to BBQ (WTF?) places or Dom going to Italian joints.   Guy Fieri has done all three of them on DDD.   If we had a show featuring Arnold and Suzy that was a bit tongue in cheek and snarky but had good food, it would be something fresh, and different.   

• Love 7

I loved Rachel being in awe of Eddie's physique, she is such a fun person who speaks her mind.  I couldn't tell from the strange looks from her as she was watching, but she seemed puzzled like wtf?!  I'm guessing she wasn't that impressed w/the final three, or getting hugged by a stranger/Jay.

Ha! I noticed that not only did Rachael "feel up" Eddie, but the assistant director during the challenge seemed to be giving Eddie the googly eyes and acting a little gushy. I was half expecting stars to pop up in her eyes a la Davy Jones on an episode of The Monkees.

1844-davy.jpg *

Edited by Bella
*This is a Monkees fan site - it's safe, folks.

It's going to be so lonely here after all the other ladies follow Eddie's magic flute down the road, into the cave, are never seen again.

I think Jay would be the best choice for a host.  He has radio background so he's already learned how to entertain an audience and how to cut, fill and cover the bumps according to the giant countdown clock on the wall.

That's probably the only crucial element.  There's a huge production team to make sure the plate is colorful, the recipe is tasty and there's no poisonous mushroom involved.

It seems most people prefer Eddie because his full-time personality appears to be likable and he doesn't just "turn it on" for the camera.  But surely EVERY on-camera personality does that very thing. Giada plasters on her big toothy smile and Bobby sets the twinkle dial to max.

Ah, well, whatever.  "South African" was the only cuisine I would have tracked down.  Party on, Garth.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

I'm curious, did I miss something where they said the winner would have a travel and taste show only?  I thought in years past that the faux-shows they make in the final episodes has always been a travel and taste show, but when they did their real show the actually got to cook.  We know that they can all cook, but it's the other part that some....cough-Dom-cough....have had issues with.  

I do think that everything has been set up from the beginning for a Dom win here.  I watched the Star Salvation recap show before this weeks episode, and when Dom did his intro and said something to the effect that he was the newest Italian chef, they cut to Alex and she raised an eyebrow and it really made me think that she was in on all this that they are setting him up to take over the crown from Giada as she moves on elsewhere within the network.

No wonder Rue didn't make it.  There aren't enough Southern African restaurants for her to travel around to to taste and comment on.

They probably couldn't even find one for her to do the pilot.

• Love 2

They probably couldn't even find one for her to do the pilot.

There is one a block away from where I work in midtown... I mean, i could have hooked them up.   There are also a few in Brooklyn.  

• Love 1

No wonder Rue didn't make it.  There aren't enough Southern African restaurants for her to travel around to to taste and comment on.

Doesn't matter. Neither Eddie nor Jay got to go to the restaurants of their choice, their POV went out the window. Jay's now serving up soul food and Eddie is on the BBQ circuit. Dom is the only one they let stay Italian. They could send Rue to a French restaurant and say "Here, here ya go...."

I'm curious, did I miss something where they said the winner would have a travel and taste show only?  I thought in years past that the faux-shows they make in the final episodes has always been a travel and taste show, but when they did their real show the actually got to cook.  We know that they can all cook, but it's the other part that some....cough-Dom-cough....have had issues with.  

They won't get a travel show. They did the same thing last year, sent them into a restaurant, only last year the 3 actually showed how to cook something. This year, Eddie was the only one actually helping in the kitchen.

Remember when Damaris won, they did the usual stand-and-stir pilots. I think they did the "visit the restaurant thing" to get everyone doing the same thing for judging purposes.

• Love 1

Is Jay a radio host or something? Because I can totally see someone in that industry being good at talking, filling time, wrapping it up, stretching it out, and thinking on their feet in a witty kind of way. I get it. OR maybe I'm confused about his profession.

I had no idea what the heck Dom was making with that pasta that starts with the letter "A." I should prolly get out more. :)

The pasta starting with an A is agnolotti (ann-yo-lot-e). I don't remember what else he did with it, unless he did something like a bolognese sauce to go with it (which I think's referenced upthread, but may also be from a different ep).

It seems most people prefer Eddie because his full-time personality appears to be likable and he doesn't just "turn it on" for the camera.  But surely EVERY on-camera personality does that very thing. Giada plasters on her big toothy smile and Bobby sets the twinkle dial to max.

It's not that I prefer Eddie because it's his full-time personality and he doesn't have to "turn it on" like Jay. I just prefer Eddie's regular, full-time personality to Jay's "on-air" personality -- and even to Jay's regular one. I don't dislike Jay. He just never resonated with me.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 5

This year, Eddie was the only one actually helping in the kitchen.

Didn't Jay make Cajun Chicken and something (and was shown chalking it onto the menu board at the end)?  I thought only Dom was not allowed to cook on his cooking show pilot.

Does anyone watch Rizzoli & Isles?  Does Dom remind you of Jane's brother or is it just me?

YES! he really does have that same unassertive, hang-dog personality, the kind of guy who CAN do something right, but has no self confidence.  

• Love 1

Didn't Jay make Cajun Chicken and something (and was shown chalking it onto the menu board at the end)?  I thought only Dom was not allowed to cook on his cooking show pilot.

OK, I think you're right, I remember the chalkboard. But must have zoned out when he was cooking.