Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: New New York

Glee-club alumni members are followed in New York City several months after leaving New Directions: Blaine and Sam move in with Kurt; Artie struggles to get around Manhattan; Rachel settles into the life of a Broadway star; and Mercedes moves to NYC to work on her album.

Original airdate: April 1, 2014

I liked it. Was glad to see Blaine and kurt acting like an actual couple, finally. Also glad to see that they were able to work out some sort of middle ground in their issues instead of just throwing in the towel. Curious to see how this is going to go. 

If they had just bitten the bullet after the third season and gone straight to something like this, I think the show would be in a much better place today. But now I worry that no matter how good the show might get (and that's still no sure thing, if the preview is any indication), there just aren't enough people watching for anyone to notice.

• Love 3

Yes it was decent too much Blam and Blaine but overall it was spread out nicley.

I liked the Arty/Rachel  part the best cause it had a few scenes but not too many like the Klaine storyline did.

And Rachel hailing a cab was worth the wait .

• Love 1
(edited)

I really enjoyed it.  I agree it was the best episode in a long, long time. Even the music seemed improved to me.

The Klaine storyline felt very real.  I was waiting for one of them to say, "maybe we did get engaged too fast."

Artie had the best storyline that he's had in forever.  And he and Rachel sounded great together on "Don't Sleep in the Subway." They had some chemistry.

If I was Rachel, I would have kept the car.

And Rachel ending the night with "People."   Just lovely.  That's how they should have been ending episodes for the past year and a half.

I think they should beg Adam Lambert to come back.  He had such easy chemistry with everyone.   It was kinda funny how he was almost the designated Mr. schue replacement for the the evening offering guidance.

Edited by vb68

I have to be honest - i'm not a fan of "People" but my god, it was so nice to have an episode end with Lea Michele singing a song beautifully instead of watching the newbies run around in a circle on the stage at McKinley.

I enjoyed the retro songs of this episode. I don't mind when the show uses current songs but I think they started losing the balance between using Broadway songs, older/classic songs, and too many pop songs. If they never use a Katy Perry or Bruno Mars song again, I won't complain! And the old songs they used this week suited the episode. Downtown was a great choice to show all the characters in New York. You Make Me Feel So Young was a cute way to show the Kurt/Blaine honeymoon period.

I'm glad that Blaine told Kurt that living separately wasn't a step backward as Kurt thought it was. There's nothing wrong with loving your fiancee and not living together, especially since they are in the same program at the same school. They already see each other almost 24/7 so having their own space is a good thing. Kurt's frustration is understandable. It's not that he dislikes Blaine. He just needs some time and space each day that doesn't include Blaine.

I was annoyed with Rachel for most of the episode. Having a car service doesn't mean you are isolated from the world like Rapunzel in a tower. You can still go to museums and whatever else she was talking about but she has been choosing not to. She shouldn't be blaming that on having a driver. But talking down to Artie about how being mugged makes him a real New Yorker, ugh. Same with talking to Blaine like he's a waiter. And how much crap was she leaving in the town car if the trunk and the front seat were full? Good lord, woman, it's a car, not your own personal trailer.

Best thing that Blaine did this week was convince Sam to cut his hair. Second best thing he did was sniff the bubble butt underwear that Sam gave him. Everything else? FAIL. His obnoxious jealous fit was so out of line. If someone barged into my house and accused me of trying to steal their boyfriend or girlfriend, I would not have taken it as calmly as Elliott did. Then again, he was probably so relieved that Blaine wasn't moving in that he didn't care about being yelled at.

I'm really sad that Adam Lambert is leaving the show. I liked him on American Idol but I have really loved him on Glee. He brings a definite spark and energy. I'd gladly lose Blaine and Sam to keep Elliott. Are you listening, RIB?

So I guess we aren't going to see how Santana dumped Demi Lovato and told her she was going to Lesbos with Brittany. Can we at least get a web series of Adam, Demi, and Kurt singing in tuxedos? Because that was one of the best New York songs this season!

Partway through the credits, I started noticing some of the newbies' names and I thought nooooooo, I thought I was done with them! Don't tell me that they're going to show up in New York too! Thankfully that didn't happen.

• Love 2

They should have moved this show completely to New York 2 seasons ago. I think it’s too little too late for Glee, but this was a very pleasant and decent episode.
Overall, the scenes in the loft with all of them together were very enjoyable, and if this is an indication of the new New York Glee it will be interesting to keep watching. There’s still too much Blam for my liking, but at least they interact with the better actors and interesting characters now.

Blaine’s obsessiveness with getting into every little moment of Kurt’s life, like his NYADA classes is far from romantic: I’d freak out too if I was Kurt. Is WTF faces in mime class were priceless.
Blaine going to Eliot’s appartment to tell him to back off crossed a couple of major lines. Also: hypocrite much? When you see no problem in having the guy you crushed on sleeping on the couch for months and piggyback-riding him? Lol, Blaine seemed more upset about Sam moving out than he was about himself moving out.
Still: him being possesive, jealous, self-centered and immature, but actually dealing with that, is very needed character development for Blaine. Now make it stick and have longterm consequences, writers.

Klaine’s conversation and conclusion at the end was surprisingly very mature for them. At least Kurt was allowed to snark back and to actually have a POV this time. Kurt speaking up about his relationship was missing for practically the entire 4th season, so this conflict and discussion was very welcome, though long overdue.
But even when he was complaining about Blaine to Elliot Kurt just had to be told how special and wonderful his engagement to Blaine is. If a fictional relationship needs so much obvious propping up in the show to make it even remotely plausible then maybe it’s time to call it a bust.

Too bad Adam Lambert’s episodes for this season are all used up (hopefully he’ll come back next season?), as I love his character, his voice, and his levelheadedness. After the Rachel moving in drama and her and Santana fighting over him, and now Blaine barking at him like a rabid chihuahua, I’m happy that Elliot doesn’t let all that craziness from Kurt’s ‘friends’ (with friends like that Kurt doesn’t need enemies) influence or cool his own friendship with Kurt.
But just like any other interesting guy Kurt could choose over Blaine, after teasing us with what could have been, Elliot has to go, as it might make rooting for Klaine as endgame even harder than it already is. Ah well, at least the fabulousness of Starchild won't be tainted in yet another cheating/love triangle storyline.

Mercedes moving to New York was something I did not expect: I thought she would only be visiting for a while. As it’s so ‘realistic’ for a 19 year old girl to have her record company doing everything she wishes for her, like moving her to the other side of America, even before her record has even been released. Right, Glee.
I wonder how the dynamic in her appartment will be with Blam living there as well. I gotta say I loved how Mercedes did not jump back into Sam’s arms right away, but alas: I don’t think that resistence will last long.

Sam looks so much better after his haircut. It’s funny how I can enjoy him when he’s not part of Blam.
His modelling storyline is as farfetched as all the other characters’ successes, but apparently New York is just that great. Whatever, as long as we don’t get to see too much of it I’m fine with Sam modelling to keep him off the street and the loft’s couch.

I felt for Artie this episode. It must be hard trying to manoeuvre through New York in a wheelchair. I’m glad Rachel saw what was bothering him. I thought she was going to offer him her car and chauffeur (she really should have kept that car), but accompanying him on the subway is nice too.
Their duet was lovely as well. The best thing about this smaller cast is characters interacting with other characters they’ve never really talked or sang much with before, as there never was the (screen)time. Now please Glee: keep and/or make them all single, and start focusing on careers and friendships instead of relationships.

I found this episode interesting...though I'm not sure whether it was a good interesting or bad. I have made my peace with the fact that the show will never be what it was for those first two seasons and I was fine with some of the awkwardness I found in the episode because the showrunners are clearly trying an entire new format/style for the show. It's going to take an episode or two for it to flow more naturally. And I certainly didn't miss the new kids but I think the biggest issue I had with the episode is that I just didn't find it funny.

I know Glee has always walked the line of being a dramedy but even in its darkest comedy days it was hilarious. It was hilarious because it was so cracky and downright offensive at times. And I anticipated this the second RIB started talking about their "adult reality" which I noted they even had Kurt say as part of the dialogue (man those writers are hacks). I guess I honestly just found the episode kind of boring and stilted. Also, I was never her biggest fan, but I realized how much these people need Santana's snark and bitchiness. And it's not surprising because it was the same way I found Rachel and Kurt kind of boring on their own until she came to New York.

The writers need to breakup Kurt and Blaine. It is just beyond stupid at this point. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you but I actually kind of can't stand living with you and don't want you around my space..." Okay then. Of course the whole thing was just stupidly contrived so the writers could make sure they didn't live together and of course have Blaine live with his second boyfriend Sam. Yeah they threw the shippers a few bones with the cutesy domestic scene in the beginning and even talk about make-up sex but it's likely all the affection they'll have for the rest of the season as they continue to live separately while Mercedes and her ex-boyfriend live together. But the engaged couple, not so much. Okay, whatever.

Speaking of Mercedes and Sam, I have to say that in five minutes, I was reminded why Mercedes may be the best romantic partner Sam ever had. I don't know if it's that her natural charisma just rubs off on him but I swear he becomes infinitely more charming and interesting around her. Their last scene was hilarious.

I like Elliot just fine but I found him treading dangerously close to the Gary Stu-ville. I always get slightly irritated with the characters who say all the right things, do all the right things, is always so wise and all knowing. It's kind of annoying actually. Also, while I find him fairly inoffensive, I could take or leave him to be honest. When he was on, it was nice but when he wasn't around, I didn't miss him. Also, I had to eye-roll Kurt saying Elliot is the only real friend he's had since he moved to NY.

Okay, so even if for argument's sake I buy that all the people he met in the Apples were Adam's friends who stopped being his friend when they ended their whatever, I thought the whole point of the episode when Kurt found out about the Apples and was joining organizations was so he could find his footing at NYADA. I'm supposed to believe in all that he's never made one friend. And his only true friend is the guy that until a few episodes ago he was sure was trying to take over his band and only then took the time to get to know him? It makes me wonder what it is about Kurt that apparently he has that much trouble making friends if that's the case.

I found myself completely bored with all things Artie and Rachel, so I've got nothing about either one...

(edited)

This felt like the pilot episode of a completely different series. A good series, but different. I liked the music (I'm an old fogey who loves Petula Clark) and I enjoyed the New York scenery, but I missed having foils -- characters like Sue, Santana, Sebastian or even Becky -- who delivered put-downs and balanced out the "nice" characters. This new Glee doesn't seem to have the same snarky edge. 

Edited by bobbyhill
Also, I was never her biggest fan, but I realized how much these people need Santana's snark and bitchiness. And it's not surprising because it was the same way I found Rachel and Kurt kind of boring on their own until she came to New York.

Every cast of characters needs a Han Solo.

• Love 2

It was very refreshing to not see the McKinley High newbies, plus Becky, whose character had become insufferable. I'm so glad that they are out of the show now that it's set entirely in New York.   I'll never be a fan of Blaine, so I wish he hadn't been featured so much last night, but I did enjoy all the rest of the characters and the retro music.  I thought that Lea's rendition of People was lovely.

• Love 1

I'm just amazed by how Adam Lambert's quick notes with Blaine just show how much better of a singer he is compared to almost all of the other actors.  I really do hope that his character comes back for future episodes.

Also, count me on the train to just focus this show on NY.  I know "Glee" doesn't quite fit the after high school group of friends, but they are all so much better than the high school setting its not even funny.

• Love 1
(edited)

Was it me, or did it seem like Elliot was TOTALLY going to go in for a kiss when he and Kurt finished their duet?

Not sure why, but TPTB are hell-bent on bringing us as much Blam as possible. UGH.

When did these kids become so self-absorbed and (mostly) hateable? No wonder most of them haven't made any friends since coming to NY!!

All that said, I was in favor of the NY switch, (no Will/Sue/Becky, etc.) but I think it will take them some time to find their footing. However, I do think the music was spot-on to drive the piots, which we haven't seen in many moons.  And "Downtown" was a great choice to kick off the episode.  (Though I surprsingly actually do miss some of the new Lima crew, a little!)

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 1
(edited)

I do think the music was spot-on to drive the piots, which we haven't seen in many moons.

This.

These were songs with people who actually interact with each other.  No more LIma running around of characters from  separate storylines in a closing faux kumbayay number  just to try to ram home how close they are.   Though I admit out of habit when "Downtown" happened I half expected them to cut to the McKinley stage and have the Noobs and Blam dressed up in 60's gear singing the number.

I liked the imaginative use of the background dancers in the subway for "Don't  sleep in the subway"

Edited by caracas1914

Was it me, or did it seem like Elliot was TOTALLY going to go in for a kiss when he and Kurt finished their duet?

I thought that too so I'm surprised to read here that Lambert isn't going to appear in any other episode this season. 

I really like Kurt/Blaine but damn, they're boring. Blaine's funnier when he's with Sam, so I'm in with the new living distribution. And I was really happy to see Mercedes because I don't want Glee to look like  the Smurfs.

Well, I didn't have to fast forward through 75% (ie, the McKinley stuff) so this episode was an improvement for me.  If anything, I found it slightly.. dull.  The big exception was anything with the Adam Lambert - wow, he is charismatic, and I would watch him on this show forever.  I definitely missed the Han Solo (nice one, bravelittletoaster) - a number of the scenes could have been really aided by someone snarking in the background.  Mercedes provided that in her scenes with Sam, but she's too nice to deliver it to the rest of the cast.

I thought that ending scene felt VERY much like:  "See!  Here's the new cast for Glee-NYC - isn't it great?" and thus was wondering how they plan to wedge Santana back into the mix.  (I also want to know how she and Brittany can afford to cavort in Lesbos/Hawaii for months, but that's for another day) 

And sadly, I have finally realized:  I just don't like Blaine.  If he's with another character I like - Elliot or even Kurt - I can bear him, but Blam will still definitely be fast forward material for me.  

• Love 1
(edited)

tbh even though my list of Glee critiques is a mile long, I don't have the "where do they get the money" issues some people have with the show.  Maybe because I live in a college town where the 18 year old undergrads drive Range Rovers their daddies bought them.  Some people are just rich, yo.  And we have no reason to believe Brittany's family could be otherwise.  But however she's doing it, bless her.  Nothing makes me happier than knowing Brittany and Santana have been living every fan fic writers' dream for several months on a Greek island.

Edited by bravelittletoaster

There were a couple of subtle choices and moments I appreciated this episode.  The first was during Downtown when Kurt comes up out of the subway and all of the pedestrians walking are perfectly spaced and timed in the shot.  I can't imagine a brain that can picture that in their mind and then execute it. 

I liked during the mime class when Kurt's flower died a second death at the thought of Blaine shadowing him for the entire rest of his day (lunch, history class, etc.) 

During the body surfing scene, the brief moment when the crowd is lowering Kurt and Elliot back to the floor was in slow-mo--otherwise it would have looked awkward, but slowed down for just that second, it looked kind of graceful. 

Then finally, there was the moment when Rachel was describing the tasteful work done on the woman about to be a victim of Artie's mugger, and it was abundantly clear that Rachel and Kurt have discussed at length acceptable plastic surgery options.

• Love 3

I'm hearing good things. If it's on my TiVo I may watch most of it and just FF any scenes with one of the Blam constituents.

I would recommend watching this episode. This was the most sensible either of them have been together, so you don't even need to FF through a lot of the Blaine/Sam bits.

It was so nice to have an episode end with Lea Michele singing a song beautifully instead of watching the newbies run around in a circle on the stage at McKinley 

[AND]

Best thing that Blaine did this week was convince Sam to cut his hair. Second best thing he did was sniff the bubble butt underwear that Sam gave him.

Sign on to both of these sentiments. It was so lovely to hear her end an episode and Sam got a haircut. 

I also agree that Blaine's visit to Sam was a mistake. Not so much because it was terrible, but because apart from Elliot's worry that Blaine was moving in, it was boring. I started surfing. I guess I finally know one think Elliot can't make sparkle (or should I say twinkle?) - a scene with Blaine. 

I found this episode interesting...though I'm not sure whether it was a good interesting or bad. I have made my peace with the fact that the show will never be what it was for those first two seasons and I was fine with some of the awkwardness I found in the episode because the showrunners are clearly trying an entire new format/style for the show. It's going to take an episode or two for it to flow more naturally. And I certainly didn't miss the new kids but I think the biggest issue I had with the episode is that I just didn't find it funny.

I know Glee has always walked the line of being a dramedy but even in its darkest comedy days it was hilarious. It was hilarious because it was so cracky and downright offensive at times. And I anticipated this the second RIB started talking about their "adult reality" which I noted they even had Kurt say as part of the dialogue (man those writers are hacks). I guess I honestly just found the episode kind of boring and stilted. 

I thought it was still quite funny and one of the better episodes in, I'm tempted to say, two years now. This wasn't of the calibre of Season 1, but there was funny in part. Most of it was Rachel's over the topness, but the Mime bits were fun (including the true death of Kurt's poor flower) and I liked Artie's voice over too. And if we are talking black comedy, the man in the wheelchair getting robbed by the guy in crutches struck me as pretty funny and dark too. 

This felt like the pilot episode of a completely different series. A good series, but different. I liked the music (I'm an old fogey who loves Petula Clark) and I enjoyed the New York scenery, but I missed having foils -- characters like Sue, Santana, Sebastian or even Becky -- who delivered put-downs and balanced out the "nice" characters. This new Glee doesn't seem to have the same snarky edge. 

I'll confess, I was a little tired of Santana's snark - actually that's incorrect - I've never been a Santana fun, she substitutes meanness for wit. So I didn't miss her at all. Speaking of her storyline though, every time they bring up the Lesbos storyline, all I can think is how much better Coupling used it. 

every time they bring up the Lesbos storyline, all I can think is how much better Coupling used it.

I don't know what Coupling is, but I can't imagine it had two women hotter than Santana and Brittany, so I can't imagine a better use of a Lesbos storyline than those two having months of uninterrupted sex [head canon].  But YMMV.

I did watch the episode because I needed something to watch at the gym and Hulu had it at the top of my queue.  I thought the Blaine scenes were most of the weakest bits [that scene with Elliot was just really, really bad and overacted], but I did like most of it.  I did really like how they produced the "Downtown" and subway numbers, and I like seeing original cast members on my screen with no newbs.  It's really too bad they didn't do this at the start of season 4.  As it is, this is a welcome change, but it's far too late to save the show.

It's certainly wanting Santana's snark, but I'd rather she be off screen and my ship sailing than on screen and it being sacrificed on the altar of Ryan Murphy's hate.  Whoever twisted his arm to make him put Brittana back together, I hope they still have a good grip on it and are prepared to wrench it if he gets the urge to fuck with them again.

(edited)
I don't know what Coupling is, but I can't imagine it had two women hotter than Santana and Brittany, so I can't imagine a better use of a Lesbos storyline than those two having months of uninterrupted sex [head canon].  But YMMV.

Fair enough. I meant the name of the island being an easy joke about it being an island full of Lesbians. Either way - it was one of the more unfunny bits on either shows. (And used for a similar purpose, come to think of it). But that probably then makes it more suitable for the previous episode's thread. 

Edited by romantic idiot
(edited)

The thing is, though, based on what I've read I think it is a pretty decent vacation spot for lesbians.  I haven't been, so I don't know if it's as gay as Mykonos [which is super gay], but my guess is it can't be that far behind.

Edited by bravelittletoaster

Full disclosure: I like Kurt, I like Blaine, I like Klaine (but wish that their "couple name" was "Blurt"), and I mostly like Sam. What I'm saying is, I'm kind of an easy sell with this show.

As soon as this episode ended, I said to my husband, "That was, by far, the least annoying this show has been in quite some time."

I hate how Rachel keeps getting all obnoxious and bitchy, and then one or more of her friends tells her she's being obnoxious and bitchy, and then she starts acting nice again, but then she gets all obnoxious and bitchy the next week, etc... She's a college student/waitress/rising broadway star. Is there no other storyline for her besides turning her into an insufferable asshole every damn week?

The mime class was amazing, and I loved every face Kurt made during that entire scene. I'm so sad that Adam Lambert is done on the show, and I really, really wish he'd come back and never leave. He and Chris Colfer should do a duet every week. Love them. Thank goodness Sam cut his hair. He looks so much less gross now. So happy that Mercedes is back. I really hope Santana is coming back soon. I loved Artie and Rachel's song together. I don't think I recall them ever having a duet before, but they sounded great together. However...when she made that comment about being glad Artie is in NYC because it's nice to have a friend there, my first thought was, "What about your BFF Kurt???"

My husband predicts that Mr. Schue will soon move to NYC and purchase that diner where the original NYC trio work (do they still work there?). I love my husband more than anything, but I've never more desperately hoped for him to be wrong about something.

Show is a ton better without the New Directions. If Becky shows up in New York I may stage a revolt.

Miss Santana and I've never been a fan of Mercedes, but still much better than the glee project troop.

Definitely agree that the show would have been better if they'd gone directly to NY after graduating the original cast. I'd like to have both Adam and Demi back next season.

I'd like to have both Adam and Demi back next season.

I would love to get more songs from 'One Tree Hill'.

It's not so much that I missed Santana perse, but the larger part of this episode was a bit too heavy on the sausage fest, especially as Elliot was also in it. I almost sighed of relief when Mercedes showed up, and even with her added to the mix the show could use 1 or 2 more girls in the core group. So I hope Santana will be back to stay soon.

If we have to have someone (a girl) from the abandoned Lima part show up I wouldn't mind Kitty reuniting with Artie in e.g. the next season (they can always retcon her a year older and have her graduate at the end of season 5). I'm afraid I soured too much on Tina to want her in New York on a regular basis, and bringing her in close proximity of Blam again would be an aweful idea imo, sorry Jenna.

If they could somehow have Will as a teacher at NYADA, with Matt Morrison having the chance to show his triple threat skills more, I wouldn't complain either. I loved the mime class this episode, and would want to see more of NYADA, so that would include needing teachers (also: can we keep the mime teacher, please). As long as they won't have Mr. Shue make any choir decisions ever again.

I do agree that Elliot had become a bit Gary Stu ish, so far he's been the voice of reason with Rachel, Kurt, Santana and now Blaine. However Adam has a nice screen presence so it's a pity he didn't get an actual exit scene , though Lovato fans would say count your blessings.

What I liked about Artie in NY is he can bring the snark, and his handling of Rachel was great. The quip about her lemons was a nice detail. Rachel has that annoying quality of transplants claiming they are "real"( insert your city), that is sooo Rachel.

Thought the ending "People" was gorgeous. That beat a dozen McKinley running around the stage with balloons or loincloths or carousel group numbers easily.

I've come to like Adam/Elliott a lot.  I wish we could trade him for Darren.  It's weird they didn't bother to write him out at all since I gather this was his last episode?  But then they didn't write Demi out for hers either I guess [which I don't care about.  Byeeeeee!]

I'm amazed by comments I've read that NY doesn't "need" Santana's character anymore. If anything I think she's needed more than ever with all the sausage fest in New York. The problem is until "Funny Girl" SL her character hadn't turned the McKinley mean girl  Bitch mode so high up for awhile but it was done to set her up as the bad guy to Rachel's  BW dream. Santana snarking on the aspirations of the rest of them is a needed antidote. Her commentary alone on Sam Male Model and "we're engaged but can't stand living together" Klaine would be priceless.

Hoping her appearance in Episode 5.17 is more than a one and up.

(edited)

She's a college student/waitress/rising broadway star. Is there no other storyline for her besides turning her into an insufferable asshole every damn week?

There is an alternative (and far more realism-based) story line, but it would have involved hiring a whole new set of actors and eliminated virtually any interactions with the ex-Lima crew, except for the rare tête-à-tête with Kurt.

For many months now, Rachel has been spending five or more full days a week in the company of adults who are at or near the top of their Broadway professions, and who are counting on her, and her alone, to return their investment of time, money, and reputation in a big-budget revival of FG. It is with them that she would be going out after rehearsal for a beer, and on the tryout tour their camaraderie would be closer than ever. From the instant of the announcement of the casting of a college freshman, she would have been teated as a phenomenon, garnering the show more publicity than even a Lea Michele would (e.g., cover story in "New York Magazine" and probably TV interviews, NYTimes feature story-they even did one for Darren's "How To Succeed"-etc.), and been under constant social media attack by the Streisand crazies (http://thebarbrastreisandforum89123.yuku.com/reply/226356/Re-Ryan-Murphys-Funny-Girl) and the stans of many of the leading ladies of musical theater, especially of those who auditioned for Fanny. (Just ask Carrie Underwood about "Sound of Music" - http://www.ibtimes.com/carrie-underwood-im-getting-hate-tweets-over-sound-music-role-says-country-singer-1489880) The psychological pressures on her would be intense, and she might be a woman "on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" at any moment. Now that might have been a great story line, but only as a spin-off, or at the very least as a compressed and isolated "Smash" within "Glee".

This episode began with the producers' thank you of a town car (NOT A LIMO!), presumably due to audience reactions and major newspaper reviews she garnered in the tryout run that were sufficiently positive to fuel the optimism necessary for the further investment in a Broadway opening.. By now she'd be almost famous in Manhattan, and to the administration and faculty of NYADA she'd be seen as a meal ticket to increased donations, prestige, tuition, and even salaries (not that there's anything wrong with that). That she EVER has the time or energy (or nostalgia) to get together with the Bushwick not-so-wild bunch would be taken (both positively and negatively) as an act of noblesse oblige (and as bizarre as having an attractive 30-something architect of a Manhattan skyscraper hang out exclusively with a group of arrested adolescents and desperate for love). Waitressing, NYADA classes, week-long trips to Lima? Fuhgeddaboudit.

Edited by Higgs
  • Love 1
I'm amazed by comments I've read that NY doesn't "need" Santana's character anymore. If anything I think she's needed more than ever with all the sausage fest in New York

I get that, in this episode, her presence wasn't de facto required, but I agree that I want her back on my screen soon to even the numbers gender-wise, and bring a bit of snark in here. And if her screentime would lessen Blam's, I surely wouldn't mind AT ALL. So I hope she'll be definitely back after 5x16.

So, I wasn't thrilled by the episode. I feel like they should have really ushered in New York with a bang and this was just... OK. As a Rachel fan, I was happy with Downtown at the beginning and I loved People at the end but all the content in the middle was just... fine. I think we're stuck with this new Rachel now and even though mean Rachel makes me roll my eyes because she keeps learning the same lessons and regressing when the plot demands it, I do think her delivery is funny. The lemon water and the elderly woman on the subway who'd probably had some work done around her eyes... that's the Glee I love. I thought the Kurt/Blaine drama was very realistic and mature in a horribly boring way. It needed another plot line to back it up but Artie being afraid to ride the subway and Sam's modeling adventures couldn't cut it. I thought the songs in the middle of the show were just way too repetitive and pointless. They slowed things down in an episode that was already lacking in content and emotional drama.

Mercedes showing up at the end was a very pleasant surprise. Maybe her win on DWTS is making the writers value Amber more. They never really knew what to do with her. I hope it's not Rachel vs. Santana 2.0. 

So I really liked the episode. I found the mime scene hilarious, the downtown and Klaine numbers especially fun, and thought Mercedes turning up wasn't as random or annoying as it could have been.

It really is quite like its a different show - some kind of weird morph of Glee, Friends and HIMYM with some random Gossip Girl. I'm not sure it's really that great, and I'm pretty sure it won't save the ratings slide (coming too late), but I'm happy to stay on the bus, And have even settled in a bit more.

I like the episode too Lola. I liked all of the musical numbers and even liked all of the plot lines. I rewatched it and never even hit the fast forward button once. It's been a long time since I could say that.

I also agree that it's much too late to make a difference with the ratings. Sad. I'll watch to the bitter end regardless.

Higgs, I really want to see your version of Rachel's Smash adventures in NY. I'm OK with the show ending and I'm not interested in trying to save it. I think it's time to let the show and these actors go and see what they can make of their careers post-Glee. However, I would like to see them do their best to make the best possible last season they can. They passed 100 episodes. They know they're not getting renewed. I want to see them use that freedom to go crazy. I know RIB and the cast are up for it.

Oh, and I agree with everyone who said the show was really guy-heavy until Mercedes showed up. When they were standing by Washington Square Park (which, really guys, are Washington Square Park and Times Square the only places you can think of?) I thought, why is the new cast 4 guys and Rachel?

Oh, and I agree with everyone who said the show was really guy-heavy until Mercedes showed up. When they were standing by Washington Square Park (which, really guys, are Washington Square Park and Times Square the only places you can think of?) I thought, why is the new cast 4 guys and Rachel?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I enjoyed the number (Downtown is a favorite song of mine), but this was a seriously male heavy cast, especially when you consider Adam Lambert who was heavily featured in the episode. The Sam and Mercedes scene at the end was nice, I missed Santana's snark but at least Mercedes delivered at the end there. 

Adam Lambert's scenes were amongst my favorites though, I'd sad to read here that this was his final episode of the season, his song with Kurt in particular was really fun to watch. I think they have more chemistry than Kurt/Blaine ever did but oh well, I've learned not to get attached to things in this show as it will inevitability turn awful within a week or two. 

I think it still will be.  The only regulars are Rachel and the guys.  It remains to be seen how much they use Amber and Naya through the rest of the season.

This script felt as if RM was laying down his wants for the rest of the season to the rest of the writing staff and was leading by example. For example, reminding them that with a smaller cast, they now have the narrative room to write each subplot more fully. The former time constraints are no longer in place and they do not need to jump around several sub-groups in two different locations. He took his time letting plots get established, develop and resolve, without the sense of rushing or incompleteness that often befell Glee as early as S1. He also made sure to feature all of the central characters substantially and clearly portrayed the group a having only one foot in adulthood while still retaining much of the immaturity and naïveté of high school, where they all were not so long ago. It will be interesting to see if the other writers pick up on those principles.

The credibility of how the Blaine-Kurt quarrel got resolved was a bit undermined by being in an episode that also included a long sequence of blissful domesticity set to a wonderfully croony "You Make Me Feel So Young" (sung by 2 not-yet-twentysomethings); that performance has all the signs of having been designed to generate warm happy feelings, which got contradicted just a little while later. It might have been better to spread that storyline over two weeks but it's not a major flaw. I think that the episode as a whole and its conclusion made it clear that in the eyes of the scriptwriter/showrunner, those two will always gravitate back to each other, no matter what.

I do not think the world needed another generic version of "People".

"Downtown" was amusing because they emulated the 60s sound in the arrangements and how they used the backing chorus. They also took the mimicking route with "Best Day Of My Life", but I did not like the results very much because the original is unpleasant and obnoxious to my ears and the Glee version simply sounds the same. I was astonished that the other Petula Clark song actually made Artie's singing voice sound not so unpleasant.

The most enjoyable aspect of this episode was the refreshing absence of Santana, however temporary it may be.

I think the only thing Rachel delivered was another example to add to the column of insipid and mechanical renderings of a tired warhorse in the vast ledger of useless and unnecessary performances.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought it was breathtaking and lovely. And even if it was an imitation of Barbra, I'm not sure how many other singers can pull it off as well as Lea.  I enjoyed it immensely. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
(edited)

I went to YouTube to listen to ALL versions of "People" by professional vocalists and found that Lea's was as different from Streisand's as anyone else's, and her tonal beauty, emotional power, and interpretative subtleties achieved through variations in vocal coloring, enunciation, and phrasing were individualistic, second to none, and better in each element than virtually any of the others, especially including Babs herself. (This is not to deny that the song itself is pure sap, does nothing to advance the drama or provide insight into Fanny's emotional state, and the director of the original production was prevented from cutting it only because it was played on the radio before the NY opening and the public demanded it.)

There are people I call "keepers of the flame", stans of artists for whom they will fight to the death to prove that not only was everything their idol did the best that ever was, but the best that can ever be. The sort of nonsense such people purvey can be readily seen in the comments sections of covers by anyone, although Glee performances in general, because that's its stock-in-trade, and Lea's in particular, because she is often clearly so much better than the originator, have come in for the brunt of it in recent years. My advice? Screw 'em.

Just as I argued in another thread that the true test of Darren's superiority over Chris as a singer is best gauged by the dramatically different treatment of them by music business professionals, so too would I point out that by the same measure, Lea is in a league of her own among the Glee cast. Even forgetting Spring Awakening and Columbia's big investment in her album, looking ahead we find her lead performance in the Oz film about to be released, her seemingly likely role in a DreamWorks musical, Fanny in RM's FG (no, he didn't purchase the rights for Darren to play Nicky or Naya to understudy, but I do hope MM gets Eddie Ryan), and comments from pros who may actually know something about singing, such as:

"There are certainly performers out there with the requisite talents: Karen Olivo (“In the Heights”), Idina Menzel (“Wicked”), Lea Michele (“Spring Awakening,” TV’s “Glee”), to name three possible Evitas.", by the lead critic of the New York Times.

http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html?t=12235502#page:showThread,12235502

"FUNNY GIRL starring Lea Michele may be only a proposition with some preliminary plans in place at this point in time in the real world, but according to the new Glee 5.0 we were shown a Broadway star being born that was bred before our very eyes and ears in preceding seasons - Lea Michele aka Rachel Berry aka Fanny Brice. Who else?! Delectably befitting for a star of Michele's crossover power and appeal, the prospect of the triple-threat in an actual revival of the iconic Jule Styne/Bob Merrill musical is incredible, nevertheless 30-odd episodes of Glee remain. Until then, a slice of the showstoppers via musical moments like last night's bare stage-set, solo spotlit "People" shall go a long way in instilling a sense of confidence that Michele will ultimately deliver on her promise to return to her roots on the Great White Way in a major and unforgettable way. A highlight of an extraordinarily strong ep in an otherwise somewhat uneven fifth season so far, without any question." by a critic for Broadway World.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/SOUND-OFF-GLEE-Goes-Downtown-All-The-Way-To-NYC-20140402

And I would certainly be remiss to leave out this bit of silliness:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2597254/Jennifer-Aniston-wants-turn-Friends-big-Broadway-musical.html

Edited by Higgs
  • Love 1

Exciting news about a revival of Funny Girl starring Lea.  For the male lead of Nicky Arnstein, can I suggest one Adam Lambert?  He is described as a handsome gambler, age 25 to 35.  I don't remember at all what songs Nicky had in the show, but of course Adam would kill them.

Broadwayworld.com?   That website has more ass licking non critical "analysis" then even Entertainment Weekly.

As a fan of their favorite ass to lick, I have to admit that's 500% true. They have no impartiality whatsoever. I don't even bother looking at that one for the weekly praise of Darren anymore--I can guess what they'll say pretty easily.

• Love 1