Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart": The Final Week

8/3: Amy Schumer (comedian & actress – promoting movie “Trainwreck”)
8/4: Denis Leary (comedian & actor – promoting FX show “Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll”)
8/5: Louis C.K. (comedian)
8/6: TBD

• Love 3

I'm seeing more pros, and opportunity than cons looking at the final guest list. On the one hand, it must be relieving for Jon to end his run by having comedians as the guests. Amy Schumer was a surprise to me since I initially doubted that she would never be on this show, Louis CK: I have no words, just pure awesome, and whoever previously posted his prediction that Denis Leary would be one of Jon's final guests should deserve a pat in the back. On the bright side, at least he didn't invite Adam Sandler as the final guest, and his latest flick Pixels is already striking an angry chord for some (all) audiences.

Now I agree that it would be unfair if Stephen didn't show up as the last guest, but as I've stated many times before, it would be amazing just to see all of Jon's former correspondents/contributors return to bid adieu. I'm still holding on to Jon and Steve Carell's promise that a reunion would take place in the greatest of circumstances, and Jon's final show is no excuse to be ignored. Besides, they'll have to return the favor for all that Jon has done to spawn their individual careers/successes. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Unless Jon couldn't get him, I think the last guest will be David Letterman.  Wasn't Dave his last guest on the show that got cancelled in the 90's?  

It would be like coming full circle in the old school world of late night.  Johnny Carson created a new style, Dave did, then Jon.  I feel teary, and since Dave wanted Jon to replace him, it makes sense that he would say yes to being the final guest if Jon asked.  

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 2

trow, before the last teleprompter dims on TDSwJS, please accept my thanks for your yearsandyearsandyears of posting the upcoming guest lists for us here and on TwoP. Stalwart work week in and out, much appreciated. ::blows jedi kisses::

• Love 11

trow, before the last teleprompter dims on TDSwJS, please accept my thanks for your yearsandyearsandyears of posting the upcoming guest lists for us here and on TwoP. Stalwart work week in and out, much appreciated. ::blows jedi kisses::

aww, thanks!! Luckily, my contact at TDS is staying on so I'll continue to provide lineups for the Trevor Noah-era show (though it won't be the same...).

Incidentally, I'm visiting Denmark right now and TDS airs here on their local Comedy Central channel -- whoever subtitles it into Danish does a heroic job. That must be a difficult gig. (Incidentally, "The Nightly Show" isn't on here, so TDS is followed by Charlie Sheen's sitcom "Anger Management" -- ugh!)

• Love 3

Just a heads up for anyone who has tickets for the final week. Get there early. On Monday when people thought it was Ted Cruz, the first people arrived around 5:30AM. Yesterday (7/29) the first people arrived at 7:30AM. The line already looped once around by 11:30AM (maybe by noon). There were 41 "VIPs" who went to yesterday's show. Remember they overbook the show and the VIPs take precedent over the people who wait in line. I can only imagine what it will be like for the last week. You MUST reserve a ticket here. They have no official stand-by line. It seems like one of the women who arrived at 8AM yesterday assumed that it was possible to get in as long as you arrive early. That is not the case. Though when people were allowed into the studio later, someone asked about stand by tickets and were later let in. Do not quote me on this, perhaps she was asking for someone else. For the most part, the line was long, the VIP line looked long and this was only for the 2nd to last week.

It looks like it's going to be brutally hot again, just be aware that the awning doesn't really give proper shade from the sun until ~10:30. Until then, you will be pounded by the sun. And if you end up in the loop part of the line, the awning doesn't offer you much from the sun. Bring water or be prepared to buy it at the deli or Subway. I drank about 2 L from morning to the taping. The Subway next door lets you use the bathroom as long as you buy something. They charge you per refill as well if you plan on getting a drink from them. There's a 2 hour gap between when they release tickets and when you're expected back for the taping. You can bring a snack and get lunch then. Or there's the deli a few doors down (on the same block) or the Subway next door. But since you probably want to spend the 2 hour gap in a place with AC, might as well go somewhere with food.

Mod, put this where it needs to go. I figured people who have tickets for this week would be coming to this thread, but not sure if this is the place for it? I had been to tapings before but truly underestimated how uncomfortable it would be to just sit around in this heat. And after hearing about the woman who sat from 8AM to 2:30PM in 95 degree heat not including humidity only for her to hear that she sat around for no reason, people should know these things.

• Love 3

I think this is a spoiler?

I just checked Comedy Central's TV schedule, and The Daily Show is set to have a 50-minute long episode for Jonny-bun's final gig on August 6. They better take advantage of those extra minutes! :)

Nope! TVGuide Online is listing the show as 51 minutes, so not a spoiler!

Anybody else figure Arby's will play a role in the finale? Also, would anybody else be expecting Amy Schumer to be joined by her distant cousin, the senator? I know, he did the retrospective thing last week, but it might be funny to see them together.

ETA: So there's no Nightly Show or @Midnight after the finale?

ETA2: Just heard that Monday's @Midnight will feature Rob Riggle, Ed Helms and Al Madrigal. Alumni hoedown! No way does Chris Hardwick redlight anybody going into FTW.

• Love 2

What makes everyone think that there will be one final guest?  Colbert skipped the usual guest segment for that song and Letterman just had the Foo Fighters perform.  Something similar will probably happen with all the old correspondents making some sort of appearance, either live or in person.  Since Michael J Fox was the first guest it would be fitting for him to show up (health permitting) along with the frequent guests Jon actually likes.

• Love 2
Hey, we'll still be here! I know Jon leaving is devastating, but it's not like we're dying either! ;)

No, not dying, but not 'here' either. Trevor's verzh will have his own forum, right? So, yeah, PTV, but not TDSwJS.

Attention must be paid, as the salesman's wife once said. ;)

I will miss Jon's Lindsay Graham impression. It's up there with Dick Cheney's Penguin "wrak!" as one of my favorites. I'd also love one more Dubya "heh heh heh" before the sign-off.

I always think of the Bush years as the golden age of TDS. So much material to work with:  Mesopotamia, Cheney shooting his hunting partner, etc.  One of my favorite interviews was Lynne Cheney.  Very awkward.

• Love 2

ETA: So there's no Nightly Show or @Midnight after the finale?

ETA2: Just heard that Monday's @Midnight will feature Rob Riggle, Ed Helms and Al Madrigal. Alumni hoedown! No way does Chris Hardwick redlight anybody going into FTW.

So the schedule says that there won't be a Nightly Show, which is understandable and raising my assumptions that Larry and his crew who previously worked in TDS will drop by. ^_^ As for @midnight, they're gonna air a new episode after the 51-minute TDS with Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel, Aubrey Plaza as the contestants. I wouldn't be surprised if Hardwick will say a few words before the show about Jon's impact to him.

I think the logical (not necessarily the fun/nostalgic/senioritis) choice would be for them to have Trevor Noah on, to do kind of a "hand off" of the chair. They've been acting like the show is going off the air entirely, and the network probably wants to remind people that they want audiences to stick around for the new guy. I wonder if they'll do anything along those lines, as well as having a reunion/party for the old guard.

• Love 1

I think the logical (not necessarily the fun/nostalgic/senioritis) choice would be for them to have Trevor Noah on, to do kind of a "hand off" of the chair. They've been acting like the show is going off the air entirely, and the network probably wants to remind people that they want audiences to stick around for the new guy. 

You make a good point, possibilities. The whole time we've been dishing our expectations about who will attend Jon's final show, we've completely ignored the fact that Trevor Noah hasn't made an appearance (or even his own segment) since he was announced as the successor. Now I'm going to be VERY disappointed if he doesn't show up at some point of Jon's final week; otherwise, the chair's open for other eligible hopefuls. >_< 

And since Noah's show doesn't start till next month, what will they air for the rest of August in this time slot?

An interesting article in today's Washington Post by its TV Critic Hank Stuever ("Shrug it off, Jon would want it that way") analyzing the Show's impact. If you cannot find it online, he credits Jon not only with making sense when the world did not, but with giving us the 'power' to do so ourselves. "...You are your own Jon Stewart now."   (sigh... speaking for myself--.just not ready for the training wheels to be removed )

And since Noah's show doesn't start till next month, what will they air for the rest of August in this time slot?

Looks like TDS reruns, according to the Comedy Central schedule. No idea how long they'll continue, and I don't know whether they'll be new-ish reruns or classics (I'm guessing they'll air the last couple weeks' worth of shows rather than reaching into the vault).

Maybe it'll be Trump, leading to a massive pile-on of correspondents past and present.

Biggest bummer for me . . . unless Omaze hasn't held their drawing yet, I probably didn't win a trip to the finale taping.

Does tonight's "News Your Own Adventure" special count in this thread?

Duly noted. Comments of the special have been directed there.

Back on-topic: Has Amy Schumer ever been on TDS? I'm guessing she has, since she has a show on Comedy Central. It might be weird to see her so close to Jon's finale, since she would be expected to do a Trainwreck victory lap. Kinda like seeing a lottery winner crash a funeral.

• Love 1

Back on-topic: Has Amy Schumer ever been on TDS? I'm guessing she has, since she has a show on Comedy Central. It might be weird to see her so close to Jon's finale, since she would be expected to do a Trainwreck victory lap. Kinda like seeing a lottery winner crash a funeral.

Amy has never been a guest on TDS before.

On NPR this morning, they ran a piece about the correspondents (and their successes post TDS), and in the Sam Bee segment she was quoted as  saying that she'd be on Thursday's show  ('wearing water proof make up). So maybe our hopes for appearances by all the graduates will come true!

• Love 2

I scared my cat out of her sleep watching the Fox News segment (which is rather cruel, since she's recovering from a second bout of pancreatitis), but I couldn't help cheering and simultaneously keening that we're going to lose this sustained, on-point dismantling of the bullshit Fox News produces.

• Love 2

One more week left. :(

It really says how flipped out the whole Republican nomination process is when Donald "Fuckface Von Clownstick" Trump correctly calls out the GOP hopefuls for their Kochsucking behavior over the weekend.

Great smackdown of Jon calling out Howard Kurtz and Fox News for their critique of him explaining his visits with President Obama. But I have a feeling that on the final day of Jon's TDS hosting duties, they're going to spend a lot of time telling their ignorant viewers what a liberal tool he is because they feel they've won. because their viewership will lap up everything they say, and because the so called liberal media won't call them on their bullshit, Jon will have won the battles but Fox News won the war. And it will be especially moreso since Jon's replacement, Trevor Noah, recently said he's not going to spend a lot of time going after Fox News.

Amy Schumer's taller than Jon. BWAH! What a delight she was.

• Love 2

Who at FN makes the decision that Jon is an important political figure? I mean, I agree that the network is a borderline propaganda machine at the least. If I'm running the network, I'd just discount him as a comedian. "He's just slinging his jokes." 

They spend so much time getting butthurt over Jon that it makes people like us just more reinforced in out opinion, and it underscores that they don't have a leg to stand on in terms of credibility. The coveted demos they need to win nationally are being turned off by the networked designed to promote them.

Nothing against jet skiing, but I'd rather Jon talked to Amy more than 45 seconds about the shooting. She said she had a press conference and he didn't let her elaborate on what they said. 

Amy Schumer gives great interview. I wish she'd been a guest more often.

Her interviews at the end of Inside Amy Schumer are great.   If she decided to stop doing stand up, movies and her show, she would be great with a talk show. 

I was dying when she compared herself to Alfred Hitchcock rising from the dead and taking up water sports. 

Nothing against jet skiing, but I'd rather Jon talked to Amy more than 45 seconds about the shooting. She said she had a press conference and he didn't let her elaborate on what they said.

It's online if you want to see it.  She was very upset and spoke for a few minutes before turning it over to Chuck Schumer. 

• Love 1

I'm just like Jon's son, I watched that episode of Inside Amy Schumer over the weekend and was saying "Milk Milk Lemonade....." all day Sunday. 

I loved it when she said she gets papped because she's mistaken for Adele.

Yes!!   Or that in the pics she looks like JLaw's softball coach.   

"Great story, Caroline. You should have a podcast."  I am SO stealing that.   Can you imagine hanging out with Jennifer and Amy.  Your head would explode from the snark and self deprecation.   Any woman who goes on tv and compares herself to Alfred Hitchcock is my bff. 

Buzz Bizzinger was on the Fresh Air NPR program yesterday for Friday Night Lights' 25th anniversary, and I kept hoping they'd ask Buzz if he'd seen "Football Town Nights".    

"What if she's dressed like a sexy cat?"

Edited by teddysmom

"What if her mom is the D.A. and refuses to press charges?"

That skit was so on point it hurts.

There's a radio ad for McDonald's (or some fast food) lemonade, and it starts out with "Le-le-lemonade," and it always reminds me of the Schumer song, as well as making me wonder about the unfortunate timing of the ad.

Has Jon explained the song to his kids, or does he just happily sing along? Hee.

• Love 1
Has Jon explained the song to his kids, or does he just happily sing along? Hee.

We were singing that song when I was a kid, isn't it kind of an elementary school classic? 

Amy just took it up a few notches. 

• Love 2

Who at FN makes the decision that Jon is an important political figure? I mean, I agree that the network is a borderline propaganda machine at the least. If I'm running the network, I'd just discount him as a comedian. "He's just slinging his jokes." 

They spend so much time getting butthurt over Jon that it makes people like us just more reinforced in out opinion, and it underscores that they don't have a leg to stand on in terms of credibility. The coveted demos they need to win nationally are being turned off by the networked designed to promote them. 

That's just them telling their audience how Jon is in cahoots with the evil Obummer and therefore should be mocked. They do that because they trust their audience will believe everything they say and won't think otherwise.

Like I said before, once Jon is done with TDS this week, don't be shocked to see the Fox News talking heads explain to their audience their version of Jon's legacy, and how bad he was for America, and good riddance to him.

• Love 2

I couldn't help cheering and simultaneously keening that we're going to lose this sustained, on-point dismantling of the bullshit Fox News produces.

This is what hurts the most. There just isn't any other vehicle anywhere in the media that deconstructs the Fox propaganda the way Jon Stewart does. He's got them dead to right and they know it, and they probably couldn't be more relieved he's leaving the air. It sort of feels like Fox won. It's depressing.

I can't remember which shooting Amy Schumer is connected to or how. I can't keep up with all the shootings.

I think the new symbol for the Republican party should be Jeb, Marco, Ted, Scott and Carly suckling at the teet of pig-bodied David Koch.

• Love 2
I can't remember which shooting Amy Schumer is connected to or how. I can't keep up with all the shootings.

Sad, isn't it.  It's actually the latest (as of now) in the theater in Louisiana - the shooting occurred during a showing of her new movie Trainwreck.

Before Fox News there was the Rush Limbaugh show and Limbaugh spent his early days telling listeners not to read or watch the news. It was all the liberal media anyway and he would tell them what to think. His fans used to identify themselves with a "Mega dittos" which basically translates into "I just repeat what you say"  and that was how they expressed their fandom.

I think Fox has a  tendency to freak out about Jon because:

1- A lot of what FN's biggest names do depends on you not following their arguments or checking on the facts but just getting angry about whatever they're directing hate towards

2- Jon is very entertaining in how he challenges their lies. At the peak of FN "Why do you hate the troops?"ism, FN had a benefit of most debunking was boring to most people, so he was a pretty big threat to their power

3- Right wing arguments tend to be huge to grab on something "the other side" does that's slightly similar which justifies their behavior. In this case, Jon is just as big a propagandist as FN is so your Jon Stewart-watching nephew who tells you FN is full of lies is just a big hypocrite who doesn't understand he's listening to propaganda, too... and FN isn't propaganda anyway.