Type keyword(s) to search

S14: Lindsey Creel

• Start Topic

The bitchy blonde girl with glasses got a lot of screen time for being one of the safe designers. Almost nothing was said about her actual design, which was boring and simple.  She seemed to be featured mainly just to talk smack about everyone else. 

On another note, it's always frustrating to move from "Road to the Runway" where we see more of the contestants as themselves pre-producer-processing and then see the actual show begin.  Lindsey from Austin was the most glaring example: on "Road," she obviously wasn't the catty "I'm gonna tear down everybody" person she was once PR proper began.  They might as well have had Constance Zimmer from Unreal sitting next to her tonight saying "good work, honey, play up the mean-girl act and we guarantee you a spot at least 'til the finale no matter how crappy your designs are."  It's obvious already they've picked her as one of this seasons "ohmigod, if I have to hear that contestant say one more thing I'm going to scream" talking-heads, but it's still going to be hard to take her act seriously, as "Road" suggests she's so obviously been coached.

Well isn't that interesting?

I heard a new season had begun belatedly, and after a quick glance at the runway designs I think I'm gonna skip this one, but I wanted to take a peek at the forum and see if maybe anything might change my mind.  The above quotes immediately stuck out to me.  I'm just leaving this note here for the future: watch this edit.  Pay attention to it.  They could just as easily have included nothing but positive things from or about her, but they didn't.  They're setting her up for a reason.  It might be because she's going to be horrible at some point.  But it's just as likely that it's because she's going to be the victim of some injustice: aufed with a clearly winning design, or in favor of a judges' pet with a much worse look, or some bogus Tim Gunn Save maneuver.  And pay attention to whether she actually does anything, or just talks smack in the confessionals.  They want you to dislike her--maybe because she is a villain, but maybe just because they don't want you to be outraged by how she's treated.  I just want to mention it from the get-go, to encourage a skeptical eye towards any "bitch" edit, because I hate that particular favorite trick of the producers. 

• Love 3

Lindsey from Austin was the most glaring example: on "Road," she obviously wasn't the catty "I'm gonna tear down everybody" person she was once PR proper began.

I disagree. I wasn't paying enough attention to tell when all the clips were filmed (was it something from home or something filmed during auditions) but she had an attitude in the Road to the Runway episode. She stated several times that she wasn't the easiest to get along with or she could sometimes rub people the wrong way... stuff to that effect. She also said something about her genetics making her seem prim and stuck up.

• Love 2

Aah, so that's who Lindsey is. I've seen a lot of discussion about her but couldn't remember who she was and couldn't be bothered to look it up. So far I'm not a big fan of her aesthetic, the jury's out on her personality, though.

I thought it was really interesting to read the feedback on her because I found her to be hilarious. A lot of reality tv contestants say things with the excuse that they are "just being real" but they almost never say what I am actually thinking. She sort of hit the nail on the head with every observation and she stated her opinions in a very matter of fact, straight forward way. It didn't seem like she was grasping for any stupid Michael Kors type of slams but if she thought something was ugly she said it was and stated why. I don't think she is the best or most interesting designer but I definitely don't dislike watching her. 

• Love 1

She's clearly playing/being presented as the hate me character. She's helpfully pointed out that she's richer, more talented, has a better work ethic, is hated on IRL because she's unafraid of her awesomeness, and that people don't Get her moderately well-made Nieman Marcus Last Call separates because they're uniquely wearable for A Certain Girl who has elite tastes.

Which they do a slight variation of every season, and then use that person as the greek chorus for their manipulative edit by putting them front and center every week to put their uninformative but reliably negative personal stamp on everything that happens onscreen.

Which inevitably results in gangs of online agita when she gets kept around despite pedestrian designs so she can annoy the crap out of almost everyone but inspire protective instincts in people who see her speaking truth to power (although the people with the actual power, the producers, clearly love her). And, cue more discussion than anything onscreen warrants.

I think her aesthetic is derivative and her (so far mild) pissiness is kind of dull, and I regret that I suspect we're going to miss out on time with designers I think could be more interesting. If they've found a way to make this character worth its screen time to me, they haven't used it yet.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Wow, I feel like I missed an entire season, if all of these character traits are being exhibited by her in just 2 shows. 

I liked her.  I may end up hating her, but that happens, as does the reverse.  I didn't like Amanda Valentine initially, but now she's one of my favorites.  

• Love 2

Wow, I feel like I missed an entire season, if all of these character traits are being exhibited by her in just 2 shows. 

I liked her.  I may end up hating her, but that happens, as does the reverse.  I didn't like Amanda Valentine initially, but now she's one of my favorites.  

The only things I know about her are the things which she helpfully recited about herself with a camera pointed at her. 

• Love 2

Has anyone else noticed that Lindsey Creel looks like garth from wayne's world... Just come one, not only the glasses but the plaid too, like so perfect!! LMFAO XP

pr14-cast-300x300-lindsey.jpgarticle-1214844-0269B93C000004B0-954_233

Edited by brcross
  • Love 23

Yeah really.. I didn't realize until episode 2 that Lindsey and Amanda weren't the same person. So now I have no idea which one did or said what in the RTTR show or episode 1.

• Love 2
I'm just leaving this note here for the future: watch this edit.  Pay attention to it.  They could just as easily have included nothing but positive things from or about her, but they didn't.

While I agree that as viewers we need to be aware of the editing monkeys (because there have been some really egregiously deceptive edits on several reality shows), I still go back to what Heather B said on the first Real World reunion special: they can't show it unless you said it. Maybe Lindsey is the nicest person in the world but she just happened to say a whole lot of negative stuff in the time it took to film two episodes. Or maybe she really does think that she is better than everyone else.

• Love 2

Well, she's definitely better than Jake.  She showed a lot of patience and tolerance for his slacking and snotty attitude. 

I'm not sure I agree with that. Nobody made her go into their partnership saying she'd "rather die" than consider one of his suggestions. Basically, she took up the same dismissive position as Joseph did in his partnership, with the exception that she couldn't be bothered to engage with her partner at all.

Yes, it was unprofessional of him to respond to her refusal to collaborate by using diminutives. Yes, it was unprofessional of her to spend the episode whining to everyone in sight while not engaging him about what he was doing that bothered her because she wasn't speaking to him.

Also, I question her taste level. I think quite a bit of her stuff is Junior League Future Mums of America, although I think that's going to be far more obvious when she gets to choose her own (undoubtedly vanilla-colored) fabric.

• Love 1

Lindsey said "We could always do a Kimono-esque jacket, you know".   Jake said "They're not a Kimono culture. Kimono's are more Japanese than Hong Kong", and Lindsey responded "I know that, it just gives it that look".   

It was approximately at 9 minutes and 26 seconds into the show.  She didn't want to make an actual Kimono.  She didn't insist on making a Kimono.  She didn't tell Jake she was making a Kimono despite what he said.  

And even when he practically bailed on the whole thing, she still didn't make a Kimono.  

She did make a very skillfully constructed long jacket. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Lindsey said "We could always do a Kimono-esque jacket, you know". Jake said "They're not a Kimono culture. Kimono's are more Japanese than Hong Kong", and Lindsey responded "I know that, it just gives it that look".

My issue is her implication that using a Japanese design is okay for a Hong Kong challenge. They are two completely different countries, cultures, etc. which are not interchangeable. To me it's the equivalent of their team being assigned Paris and then having this conversation:

Lindsey said "We could always do a leprachaun-esque jacket, you know". Jake said "Paris is not a leprachaun culture. Leprachauns are more Irish than Parisian", and Lindsey responded "I know that, it just gives it that look".

"That look"? You mean the look of a completely different country, culture, and language from the one you were assigned? But hey, France and Ireland are both in Europe so it's totally fine. They are basically the same.

• Love 7

I like Lindsey's hipster look and she seems likeable enough to me for the most part. I do think she was a bit passive aggressive with Jake, though. If someone is referring to you with terminology you don't like, you need to tell them or they don't know they are pissing you off.

• Love 1

While I agree that as viewers we need to be aware of the editing monkeys (because there have been some really egregiously deceptive edits on several reality shows), I still go back to what Heather B said on the first Real World reunion special: they can't show it unless you said it. Maybe Lindsey is the nicest person in the world but she just happened to say a whole lot of negative stuff in the time it took to film two episodes. Or maybe she really does think that she is better than everyone else.

I guarantee they have footage of every single person saying something negative about every single other person for every single challenge.   All they have to do is ask "What don't you like about x?"  They don't just spontaneously record their random thoughts, those are interviews.  "She's negative in talking heads!" is literally nothing.

Kimonos for Hong Kong, on the other hand, is something, and pretty gross.  She makes a pretty cute genderbent Garth, though.

I found these videos comparing Kimono, Hanfu and other styles rather interesting.

http://yangandchinesecloth.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-difference-between-japanese-kimono.html

There are some clear differences as well as obvious similarities.

As well as this short article:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-chinese-kimono.htm

From the article:

"Though commonly thought of as a traditional Japanese garment, the kimono actually traces its origins to China. The Chinese kimono, first worn during the Qing Dynasty, was a silk robe worn by those of the upper class. More correctly known as a hanfu, this garment features full, sweeping sleeves with a cross-body collar and is often tied at the waist"

And this one (confirming the idea that the "kimono" type garment originated in China):

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Kimono.aspx

I don't know whether Lindsey is simply ignorant of the difference between Japanese and Chinese, or whether she was using the term to convey a generic "robe" type of garment. Either way, while the term "Kimono" might be usually specific to Japan (since, as the encyclopedia article points out, it is just a Japanese word meaning "thing to wear" which came into usage in the late 19th century) the general concept of the garment is not at all unique to Japan.

So until I have a chance to see more of Lindsey, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one. I might have to go back and watch RTTR to see where the Lindsey-hate stems from. I didn't remember her being all that obnoxious, but I admit that I got Lindsey and Amanda mixed up until episode 2.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4

My last commentary on the Kimono. 

A sarong is a style of wrap skirt that comes from Indonesia and Malaysia.  If they had a Hawaii challenge, I'm thinking nobody would refuse to do a sarong skirt because "that style of skirt wasn't originated there".   But using the word "sarong" as a descriptive, people would understand what that style of skirt would look like.

A kilt is a 16th century Scottish highland garment.   But if Ashley and Candice made one out of that hideous floral print, would people be ready to crucify them because it would be an insult to the 16th century Scots?  No, it would just be ugly.  But using the term "kilt" as a descriptive, people would understand what that style of skirt would look like. 

That is precisely how and why I thought Lindsey used the "K" word.    

• Love 5

I cannot keep arguing about this because it's just making me very sad. For the record, I don't think she's a terrible person (well, not because of this at least) but she has some very problematic ideas about Asian culture and fashion that were reflected in her statements about kimonos and the final look that she designed which I'd said was arguably worse. I don't think there's a way that I can explain it to further facilitate understanding and I just can't be told that my feelings aren't valid anymore. It's too draining.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 3

Has anyone else noticed that Lindsey Creel looks like garth from wayne's world... Just come one, not only the glasses but the plaid too, like so perfect!! LMFAO XP

We've been referring to her as "Bitchy Taylor Swift" at home.  

• Love 3

I cannot keep arguing about this because it's just making me very sad. For the record, I don't think she's a terrible person (well, not because of this at least) but she has some very problematic ideas about Asian culture and fashion that were reflected in her statements about kimonos and the final look that she designed which I'd said was arguably worse. I don't think there's a way that I can explain it to further facilitate understanding and I just can't be told that my feelings aren't valid anymore. It's too draining.

Has she said other stuff about Asian designs on other shows or something? I didn't watch the Road to Runway show nor the first episode. You said "ideas" meaning there is something more than "Kimono-gate". Inquiring minds want to know because that would change my mind on the matter completely.

• Love 1

We've been referring to her as "Bitchy Taylor Swift" at home

tautologically speaking. But wouldn't she have to pretend to be supportive of other women when cameras were pointed at her?

I think that aradia22 may be referring to not grasping that asian is a menu description and not a clothing style, but since she's said she wants to let this subject drop I guess it'll have to be one of life's mysteries :)

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I'm sure I've said more asshole-ish things than Kimonogate while brainstorming ideas. I was just lucky to not have them air on national television.

I think she quickly realized her error and specified that she isn't advocating Pan-Asianism and instead just a style of clothing. It would have looked silly and offensive, but I can't blame her for suggesting it 5 seconds into their sketch time.

• Love 5

asian is a menu description and not a clothing style

I would think that "Asian" as a menu description would be too vague to be useful, just as it is for people, clothes or anything else. (although I guess it's still better than "Oriental"). Technically, wouldn't food from all countries from Turkey to Japan and Russia to Indonesia count?

Although I guess it usually refers to what folks used to call the "far east"...

• Love 3

I thought it was pretty funny how not one of the designers gave a crap about her little drama with the scissors. There was pretty much zero reaction when she came back from the hospital after three hours. Maybe one person half-heartedly asked how she was.

We actually don't know that....any concern might have been edited out.

Well, if she's genuinely germophobic, I think it's unlikely that it's been more than seven years since her last tetanus booster (given that she works with sharp things and all). I think if anything was edited out, it was more likely LIndsey insisting that her boo boo was way more serious than the medic was telling her it was. I wouldn't have been doubled over with concern either.

Edited by Julia

I only meant that we don't know all of any incident because the program is so heavily edited. Considering this is an overall nice enough group of people, even under the stress of their time limits, I'd be very surprised if one of them didn't have the common courtesy to express some sympathy for Lindsey...if not then, than perhaps when they were back in their apartments.  I don't think they had to be doubled over with concern but just showing some empathy. That's all.

You're right, of course. She annoys me so I presume people find her annoying, which is not necessarily the case.

You're right, of course. She annoys me so I presume people find her annoying, which is not necessarily the case.

I love her! Personalitywise, she's rapidly approaching my personal Top 10 Project Runway designers of alltime. (The existing top 10 are Elena, Seth Aaron, Diana, Christian, Jonathan, Amy, Jerell, Fabio, Uli and Amanda).

• Love 1

I enjoy her dry humor and her honesty about herself. She's not the best or most innovative designer and I don't see her making the top three, but I think the judges have really piled on her recently and that irritates me. I also like the way she rocks the red lipstick!

• Love 5

Well, if she's genuinely germophobic, I think it's unlikely that it's been more than seven years since her last tetanus booster (given that she works with sharp things and all). I think if anything was edited out, it was more likely LIndsey insisting that her boo boo was way more serious than the medic was telling her it was. I wouldn't have been doubled over with concern either.

This makes no sense to me... are you suggesting that the medic was likely telling her it was no big deal and trying to put on a bandaid, while SHE was the one insisting on further treatment that would cause her to lose hours of time, if not the rest of the day?

I just can't see it going down that way, germaphobe or not. (did she tell us that she was a germaphobe at some point and I missed it?)

I'm betting the medic was playing it safe saying she needed stitches, and production played it safe making her go get them. I'd be willing to bet that the legal department was calling the shots on this one, with Lindsey having little to no say.

• Love 2

The germaphobic comment came out when they were going to go through trash (electronics) for the second unconventional materials challenge. She seemed a little embarrassed by having a phobia that she knew to be a little irrational, and I have no problem imagining that the idea of going through piles of old stuff in a grubby looking space triggered it, but poking her hand with her own clean scissors did not. 

Edited by akr

The germaphobic comment came out when they were going to go through trash (electronics) for the second unconventional materials challenge. She seemed a little embarrassed by having a phobia that she knew to be a little irrational, and I have no problem imagining that the idea of going through piles of old stuff in a grubby looking space triggered it, but poking her hand with her own clean scissors did not. 

I'm going to guess that if poking her finger with her own clean scissors didn't trigger her, she would not have walked away from a contest she seems to think she has a shot at winning to get immediate care for a booboo which apparently wasn't even bleeding all that much instead of a few hours later.

Edited by Julia

I just rewatched the scissors grab episode and the medic specifically told Lindsey she had to get a tetanus shot, and that Lindsey had no choice.  She made it crystal clear that she wanted to stay.  She thanked the medic then briefly spoke with Kelly on her way out.  No drama, no histrionics, no commentary to anybody other than Kelly, that we were shown, and then a brief convo on her way back in.  Kelly being the only person we saw express concern on camera.  Lindsey was gone 3 hours. 

During the workroom walkaround with Heidi we never saw her mention a word about what happened or made a single excuse. She was safe, so she didn't have to talk to the judges after the runway.  

She made me laugh when she commented about Tim waking them up, that her first thought was that she left her television on....then she remembered she was ON television.   

Since I like her personality and her clothing, I will absolutely give her the benefit of the doubt.  I don't like shit-stirrers and get no entertainment from mean girls, whiners, criers and drama queens.  And I haven't seen a single one of those characteristics in Lindsey.  But that's just me. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5

I'm going to miss Lindsey and her confessionals.  She fast became my favorite person in the cast this year, and she seemed to be well liked by many of the others.  I knew she wouldn't be around long, but I had really hoped that Laurie would go for the mess rather than Lindsey for the boring.

• Love 5

As much as I like Lindsey on the show, I have to admit I don't care for her clothing line after looking at her website. No I'm not in her demographic, but nonetheless I hate to even say the word but it is kind of boring. And way overpriced for the most part. I wish her well but I would not be one of her customers.

The designer originals would be out of my reach, of course, but I can see some of them being translated into wearable clothes for a line (which may or may not be what she wants to do). While that would put people off who only want to wear exclusives, most people would love to have reasonably priced clothes that are wearable, practical, and yet attractive.  I always think about Audrey Hepburn and how wisely she was dressed...rarely a wrong turn, and those clothes could be worn now and still be suitable, but what was impressive was that many of the styles, however chic and designer special they were when she wore them, were also styles that could be translated to wearable clothes.  I think that's what Lindsey is trying for.  I don't think she always succeeds, but I give her credit for sticking to her personal style and not trying to be something she's not.  I don't agree that she lacks imagination or ability....I just think she has a different way of expressing hers that doesn't appeal to people with flashier tastes but may appeal to those that prefer something more subtle.  That's all. I say a reluctant good-bye to Lindsey.

This is exactly what I like about her aesthetic. Unfortunately, her clothes are simply not telegenic which is what PR is actually looking for each week.

Personally, I loved her Hong Kong outfit, her orange suit from Episode 4 and her Intimates look. I'm hoping she learns how to meld her aesthetic with something more "showy" and comes back for Allstars.

• Love 3

This is exactly what I like about her aesthetic. Unfortunately, her clothes are simply not telegenic which is what PR is actually looking for each week.

Personally, I loved her Hong Kong outfit, her orange suit from Episode 4 and her Intimates look. I'm hoping she learns how to meld her aesthetic with something more "showy" and comes back for Allstars.

I agree.  Her designs are definitely more Grace Kelly than Grace Jones, and I appreciate that aesthetic.  I would buy every single piece on her website if I could afford to, because I don't think any of them would look ridiculous or dated in 10 years.  But that's me.  

• Love 2

I like Lindey's designs but agree they didn't show well.  I would toss in the fact that there isn't anything super new or different about them.

Zac Posen made a comment to one of the designers (can't recall who but it was a guy - not Lindsey).  He basically said that the designs they are seeing now speak to what the designers might be put down the runway during the finale.  I was glad he said that because it made it pretty clear the level/type of design they are looking for. They want designs that will produce an exciting runway.  

As much as I like her/her designs I don't think she would have fared well in the finale.  In fact, there are only a few this season who are finale-worthy IMO - Swapnil, Ashley, Edmond, Candice, and possibly Kelly.

As much as I like her/her designs I don't think she would have fared well in the finale.  In fact, there are only a few this season who are finale-worthy IMO - Swapnil, Ashley, Edmond, Candice, and possibly Kelly.

If that's the case, though, why did they cast the others in the first place?  Presumably they would have thousands of applicants. 

• Love 1