Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Digestivo

(edited)

As of this week, Hannibal is now airing on Saturday nights in the United States but it is still airing on Thursday nights in Canada. That means discussion about the current episode can be posted beginning on Thursdays. if you don't live in Canada and don't want to be spoiled, you have been forewarned!

Captured in Italy by police on Mason Verger's payroll, Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter are delivered to Muskrat Farm to await Mason's revenge. Alana, distressed that Will has been endangered along with Hannibal, plots a rescue. And Hannibal, once again in contact with his old patient Margot, finds it irresistible to remind her that Mason will never make good on his promises. Meanwhile, Jack informs Chiyoh of Hannibal's location.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
(edited)

I am very disappointed in NBC for this move.  As I'm so unhappy right now, I'll leave it at that.

Except for the hope that we get two hours of Hannibal now on Saturday.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3

Oh. I guess I can turn off this boring Dateline now.

I don't even understand why they moved it to Saturdays. Does it cost them less to air it on Sat? Didn't they already pay for the whole season?

• Love 2
(edited)

It was on tonight in Canada and I am happy to say that it was the most fucked-up episode ever!

I didn't realize that it's still airing on Thursday nights in Canada. I will change the airdate and edit the note about the show moving to Saturdays. Canadians, feel free to discuss the episode now!

Seriously what the hell, NBC? And what time? And why is your PROMO VIDEO private?

Yeah, I don't understand why NBC did that either. I edited the original post and replaced the promo video from the official NBC/Hannibal youtube channel with another source. It's like they're deliberately being as difficult as possible about everything these days!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is the first time I've been actively trying to be spoiled ... and no one is talking about the episode!

Come on Canadian fannibals ... I can't watch until Sunday. Spoil me!!!

Edited by murf1013

This is the first time I've been actively trying to be spoiled ... and no one is talking about the episode!

Come on Canadian fannibals ... I can't watch until Sunday. Spoil me!!!

Masons corrupt cops interrupt Hannibal as he is cutting will. Jack is about to be killed and the Chinese lady snipes the killers.

Mason ties Hannibal up. Alana lets him loose. Mason is about to cut off wills face and put it on his own. We are lead to believe it but really Hannibal cuts off masons face and the chef dudes who was doing the surgery and puts the chef dudes face on masons.

Hannibal escapes with will.

Mason puts his sisters baby in a pig as the "surrogate". This cheeses her and Alana and masons sister find mason with his face cut off and drown him while an eel is forced down his throat.

Hannibal visits will at home and will breaks up with him.

Jack shows up after Hannibal apparently left but infact he is still there and turns himself in. This is because he wants his ex boyfriend will to visit him in jail , also the Chinese lady had a sniper on him so she may have forced him to turn himself in.

The end.

• Love 4

Don Hannibal, thank you for that!!  Your recitation is probably the best plot-movement I've "seen" all season.  

Also, and I don't know why this is, but the bromances this season (in this and other shows) have all left me cold.  I don't see any sexual tension between Hannibal and Will or between Justified's Raylan and Boyd at.  all.  Although the actors, through interviews, would have me believe there is some.  Huh.  Maybe my radar is off.

We are lead to believe it but really Hannibal cuts off masons face and the chef dudes who was doing the surgery and puts the chef dudes face on masons.

It this a.... flashback? Or Mason's "reconstructed" face is being cut off again? Who are the chef dudes?

Jesus, this season is trying to out jump its own sharks.

• Love 2
(edited)

How cute was Will when he woke up in bed.

So glad the show is back in Baltimore. It seems things are finally starting to happen.

My belief is the early episodes suffered due to the switch from Abigail to Bedelia. So much urgency was lost because of that. I'd be interested to read the Abigail version of the script to see how much changed. I have a suspicion that some of Chiyoh's scenes were originally Abigail's.

For the science minded folks, what was the significance of Hannibal saying to Chiyoh that she is between Iron and Silver?

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 2

According to Wikipedia and Good Reads, they're using a line Lecter did with Clarice. He tells her the most stable elements on the periodic table are between iron and silver, and that's where she belongs.

• Love 4
(edited)

I will admit it took all my will-power to not read the comments here before watching the episode myself after finding out it already aired in Canada and so is online!

This episode Hannibal was pretty much a broken heart boyfriend trying to win Will back.

I know right?!?! That was incredible... Hannbal didn't just save Will, he carried him in his own arms through snow, brought him to his home (I'd like to think at some point they hitched a hike because if not, man, that is one long walk) and tucked him in bed! And when it turns out Will finally has had enough of Hannibal and pretty much tells him "I even love my dogs more than I love you. you won't be missed. You won't be thought of. Don't call. Don't write. Bye!", what does Hannibal do? He looks sad (wonder if he was thinking "I really should not have tried to eat him this early in the relationship), refuses to say goodbye, and turns himself in because he wants Will to know where he can find him when he wants to talk to him... If that isn't devotion, I don't know what it. heh. This must delight Will/Hanibal shippers a lot, and probably will be the starting "scene" for some of the new fanfics.

I was saying "Alana you don't need to beg Hannibal to save Will, of course he will" but even I wasn't expecting him to give up on his freedom just because he just "has to" be close to Will (I guess he assumes Will will cave in and come visit him at some point), and can't let go... Wow. right now it looks like Hannibal needs Will more than Will needs Hannibal... Good for you Will. Guess you are "victorious" indeed. But guess that won't last long.

I think Chiyou is still very much Team Hannibal (from what I understand her POV is "some animals should not be caged" so she doesn't even intend for him to be caged I think, she is all about protecting him) and was going to snipe shot FBI if they tried to harm him or something. But as he is turning himself in, she lets it be.

Poor Will. First Hannibal tries to eat him (so they'll be together forever), and then Mason tries to steal his face - being pretty sure gives him much trouble. Of course he is going to be in a rather pissy mode to the point he will literally bite people's cheek's off  (gotta love how happy it made Hannibal to see him do that) and have no patience left for Hannibal.

Loved this exchange:

Hannibal: You delight in wickedness then berate yourself for the delight.

Will: You delight, I tolerate. I don't have your appetite.

The baby in the pig thing was gross. I soooo hate Mason.

Alana and Margot both taking part in killng Mason was good.  They should take all the money and run far far away as it is rather obvious Hannibal is going to kill Alana the first chance he has as he "promised" her in S2, and as reminded her, he does keep his promises.

How cute was Will when he woke up in bed.

Oh yes, "aww, he sleeps like a baby" I thought... But man, Will's bed looks so uncomfortable. One of those fold-out beds no one ever wants to really sleep in unless they have to. Buy yourself a comfortable bed Will! FBI may not be paying you much (and seriously nothing they pay is worth all this) but surely you have enough for a real bed?

Must be a rather great feeling to wake up safely tucked in your own bed, in your own house after a day (or 48 hours?) when you were shot, drugged, had someone try to remove your scalp to eat your brain and then had someone else try to remove your face... Of course Will's first thought is "damn, wish I had my dogs here too"...

Now that Chiyou knows how much Hannibal cares about Will, wonder if she will stop hurting him whenever she can?

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric
  • Love 5
Hannibal visits will at home and will breaks up with him.

That's an understatement. He basically told Hannibal that he has his freedom and in return he won't think about him as if he doesn't exist in his life. But it's the last two scenes that had that perverse break-up/gift and a reversal redux of season2. Will gave what he thought Hannibal wanted (his freedom) and Hannibal turned himself in because that's what he thinks Will wants. Personally, I think the idea of indifference from Will was more intolerable. This way he would always be on Will's mind.

• Love 4
(edited)

Rewatching:

Is it wrong that I wish the sleazy corrupt Italian cop dies a horrible death too? Or at the very least we saw him go to jail or something?

I have a vision of Chiyou where she asks anyone and everyone she meets "you know Hannibal?"... I loved the way Jack handled the situation with Chiyou. The slow deliberate talking and all, and assuring her he wouldn't be in her way. He should give Will some lessons on that.

Whose face was it that Alana saw on the ceiling?

I love snarky Will. Alana gives him the good news that Jack is alive and his response is "good for Jack"! hee, thanks to you, he is about to have his face removed, Alana, excuse him if he doesn't care much for your good news right now... I liked that he was upset with Alana for the role she played in all this, and told her to fix it. And I guess that was pretty much him telling them to let Hannibal loose on Mason, wasn't it? Also liked that Alana was trying to save Will from Hannibal. That is very much in character and good to know she hasn't really changed that much.

But it was pretty funny that they cleaned the dinner table, and all went somewhere else and apparently left Will sitting there all alone. And Hannibal was given something to eat but Will's plate was empty... Rude. Just so rude...

Love all the amicable smiles Hannibal gives Mason and co as they tell him of their horrible plans for him. "you thought of everything". He is so bemused.

The lightning in this episode did wonders with Hugh Dancy's eyes. They were standing out in so many scenes, and are really beautiful. Speaking of beautiful, Margot was looking really gorgeous again. Loved her hair.

Alana: Could I have ever understood you?

Hannibal: No.

Well, gotta give it to him, he is rather honest.

That was Margot and Will's unborn child that Mason had put into that pig to further torture Margot, right? Does Will even know?

So Hannibal did NOT kill Mischa. Glad that it was confirmed. And Chiyou will always be loyal to Hannibal because that is what Mischa would want, or something like that?..

Given it took FBI a whole day to get to Will's house, I take it Alana and Margot took their time before they called FBI, setting the stage so it looked like it was all Hannibal who did the murders? Or maybe they never made the call (might be better for them to claim they weren't even anywhere near the farm that day), and it was Jack who brought FBI?

It looks like between the Italian police trying to assassinate him, and all the mess with Hannibal and Mason, the FBI decided "we need him back ASAP to deal with all this madness" and reinstated Jack.. "Good for Jack" indeed. He got the satisfaction of beating the crap out of Hannibal, and now got his job back and is going to be the man who caught Hannibal. And had a rather minor injury during all this. Doesn't get any better than that for someone who goes after Hannibal.

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric
  • Love 2

What was in that little notebook that Hannibal was reading/writing at Will's bedside? I think he was sitting there pretty much the whole time waiting for Will to wake up. 

And carrying Will through the snow. It would have been easier to carry him over his shoulder, but not nearly as aesthetically pleasing. 

At the end:

Will: "Hannibal's gone."

Hannibal: "Ha ha no, I'm not!"

Now Hannibal knows he'll still be in Will's orbit and Will in his. I think it's half to torture Will and half because he would genuinely miss Will. 

• Love 5
That was Margot and Will's unborn child that Mason had put into that pig to further torture Margot, right?

It was also a symbol of what he thought of her as and to make it worse if it lived he could taunt the child calling it born from a pig.

• Love 1
(edited)

This episode was way too wacky for even my tastes in wacky shows.

I loved the Hannibal/Will bedside teta-a-tete even if it was too anti-climactic. Damn Hannibal for coming across so caring! This bromance has saved this season so far for me.

I'm just not sure I care about most of the characters on this show and what they've evolved into except Hannibal, Jack and Will. Chiyo was boring and a totally waste! Another female character written just badly!

Was that Will back at the FBI next week? Finally!

Now Hannibal knows he'll still be in Will's orbit and Will in his. I think it's half to torture Will and half because he would genuinely miss Will.

I totally think this is why he turned himself in. You can see the disappointment on his face when Will was going to let him go and said he wouldn't bother chasing him.

Still I just can't see Hannibal going down without a fight. That's disappointing.

So glad the show is back in Baltimore. It seems things are finally starting to happen.

Totally! This season's been too disjointed for me. Now that Hannibal has turned himself in we can get to business as usual. They wasted too many episodes without any clear focus at all.

So glad Mason's dead! He lasted way too long.

Edited by kmm49
  • Love 1

Cordell was perfect - he filled so many roles for Mason. He was his nurse/companion, valet, confidante, a gourmet cook, anesthesiologist and a cosmetic surgeon. Also, insane.

Mason was so lucky to find this rare bird to help him fulfill his dream. RIP, you two crazy kids.

• Love 12

I swear, Hannibal was close to tears when Will told him it was over. And when Will said he didn't want to know where Hannibal was, I just knew what was going to happen. Man, Hannibal is completely in love with Will. 

Mason's death was appropriately disgusting but I'm sorry we didn't get to see the moment Hannibal got there and whacked Cordell.

• Love 4
It took having his head sliced into, to make poor Will look like he just doesn't give a crap, anymore.

Love this. "Ya know, I've finally come to the conclusion that this relationship isn't working out. Ouch."

• Love 7
I'm watching it online. It took having his head sliced into, to make poor Will look like he just doesn't give a crap, anymore.

LOL. That and the dinner party from hell, witnessing Hannibal, Mason and Cordell talk so jaunty about being mutilated and eaten finally kicked in Will's sense to cut Hannibal from his life before he becomes completely insane.

• Love 2

Man, Hannibal is completely in love with Will.

I half expected Hannibal to say..."Will, are you breaking up with me?" With tears in his eyes of course.

Still I just can't see Hannibal going down without a fight. That's disappointing.

I think of it as re-grouping. Now that the Police in Italy know what he did to that officer and what he looks like, he can't go back to Italy ASAP. He has no intention of returning to his family home. And since Mason kidnapped him with just the clothes on his back, it's going to be hard to get passports or money for travelling out of the country. And there's Chiyoh and I'm not sure what her next move will be now that she knows he ate Misha, she might shoot him if he didn't turn himself to the FBI. And Will basically told him to leave, so he has very few allies around. He took control when he turned himself in. In a way he decided when he should be caught and also made sure that Will is going to have a hard time forgetting about him because he will know where Hannibal is. This is a game where he is in control.

• Love 3

Did Chiyo hop a plane with that rifle in her luggage?  Or did she just teleport?  I know those things shouldn't bother me, but I find them so funny.

Love how Hannibal is trussed up and everyone runs to him for favors.  I thought I even saw a little of that in his expression.  Um, ladies, how about a little help before I save Will, kill Mason, have my hair ripped out, promise to keep your secrets, and extract a sperm sample for ya on the way out.  Then he's gotta carry Will back to his house in the snow.  I admire his stamina.

• Love 10

Of all the completely loopy things we've seen on this show, the baby inside a pig really pushed the envelope.  I actually googled to see if some real-life 21st century Frankensteins are trying this type of nightmare experimentation, and so far, it ain't happening.

Just shows what kind of demon monster that Mason was, using a swine instead of a real female.  

Wonder if Bedelia will ever show up again.  And with the cancellation, we'll never get the back story on the guy that attacked her earlier in the season.  Crap.

• Love 3

I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline here. I know the baby was Margot's but was Will the father? Is that the baby the doctors took from her when they gave her the hysterectomy?  I don't why I thought much more time had passed since that happened but I realize now that I'm not really sure. Anyone know?

The rest of this season and its inconsistencies like you mention penguinnj has alternately bored me, disappointed me, and left me completely disassociated with the characters and caring about them.  

For some reason, this last episode, finally, was enjoyable.  Maybe it was Will's return to the plotline as a functioning, part-taking person rather than a repetitive automaton for Hannibal's and others' sadism.

• Love 3

I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline here. I know the baby was Margot's but was Will the father? Is that the baby the doctors took from her when they gave her the hysterectomy?  I don't why I thought much more time had passed since that happened but I realize now that I'm not really sure. Anyone know?

Hopefully I heard correctly:   Mason revealed that when he'd had Margot's uterus removed last season, he kept some of her eggs.  He used his own sperm to fertilize those eggs to make a REAL Verger baby. I did wonder why neither Verger seemed to be worried that of a child from sibling DNA could have some genetic issues, but... oh, forget it.

• Love 5

Timing of the baby: Over eight months have passed between seasons. How long before that did Margot and Will get it on? Seems like it would be too long for it to be Will's progeny. It's probably easier to implant fertilized ova into a pig than a fetus. I mean, it's impossible either way, but the second one seems slightly more impossible.

• Love 3

All the disappointed, speculative, appreciatively amused, patronizing, conspiratorially content, pain-relishing, calculating, dismissive, insincerely solicitous, straightforward, semi-postcoitally triumphant, exhaustedly curious, rueful, relieved, valedictory, heartbroken, defiant, and smirky reasons Mads Mikkelsen got robbed by the Emmys.

Read the story

• Love 5
(edited)

Well Alana sure has....evolved since season one. Me likey.

Hannibal looked like a proud papa during the dinner scene when Will bit Cordell's cheek. Hell he looked entertained throughout the night like he was talking about normal recipes instead of discussing how the guy was going to cook him.

I like how Jack described Will and Hannibal as identically different.

However I think my favorite line was "Play with your food and you give it the opportunity to bite back."

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

Broadcast television.  Broadcast.  Television.

That was nuts.  I think Jack is the only person who comes out of this with the moral high ground, and as always, he was great.  I am glad Alana never intended anyone to die as a result of her collaborations with Mason.  I can't support killing him, but at the same time I'm sooo glad he's dead.  One of the most foul characters ever.

I liked the final scene with Will and Hannibal.  It did show Will having woken up, or finishing his trip through the inferno.  If he misses his dogs then he is most of the way back to himself, and perhaps as far back as he will make it.  I did not see Hannibal turning himself in going into the episode, but in this context I can see him wanting to make himself permanently known to Will and everyone else.  He'll enjoy the celebrity for a while, though his torment is coming.

The notebook contained mathematical formulas.  I think that's a nod to the book Hannibal.

• Love 7

Hopefully I heard correctly:   Mason revealed that when he'd had Margot's uterus removed last season, he kept some of her eggs.  He used his own sperm to fertilize those eggs to make a REAL Verger baby. I did wonder why neither Verger seemed to be worried that of a child from sibling DNA could have some genetic issues, but... oh, forget it.

That's what I thought too but then I read some other comments on a different message board and they were saying that it was Will's baby. So I thought I missed something. I wonder if that will ever be cleared up.

Timing of the baby: Over eight months have passed between seasons. How long before that did Margot and Will get it on? Seems like it would be too long for it to be Will's progeny. It's probably easier to implant fertilized ova into a pig than a fetus. I mean, it's impossible either way, but the second one seems slightly more impossible.

I'm not sure what the timing is on that. If it was a month from the time that Will impregnated Margot and the bloodfest at Hannibal's then I guess it's feasible. Either way, whether it was Will's or not, that was just so creepy and sad for Margot.

• Love 4

Loved the bromance. That is true love. Mads expressions are amazing.

I was having a tough time hearing when Hannibal was trussed up. Why did he tell Alana to pull his hair?

• Love 2

Awesome episode! How depraved is Verger that when its him versus Hannibal, you cheer for Hannibal? I figured the surrogate would be a sow even though I doubt a human fetus could grow in a sow. I wouldn't put it past him to have used a human surrogate, take the fetus out of her, and put it in the sow.

Verger still died without an heir. How would Margo get his money?

Mads rocked it as usual.

• Love 6

I kept wondering to myself that if Mason wanted Will's pretty face then why wasn't he waiting until Will's face healed up from his injuries before trying to take it off.

• Love 4
(edited)

Welp, the bromance is over.

Will broke up with Hannibal .... and he's keeping the  jewelry!

The bromance has been so incredibly eye roll worthy in some spots this season mostly on Will's part because Hannibal cut him from stem to stern and he still seemed to be making goo goo eyes at him. However, I thought the ending scene between Will and Hannibal was well done. It wasn't overly schmaltzy, although I could do with never hearing about smashed teacups coming together again. The thought of Will being indifferent to him cut like the finest santoku knife. 

I miss Will's dog Winston.

I had to laugh a bit at Jack showing up at Will's with a cane. Hannibal has hobbled them all. 

Mason is horrid but he does get some amazing one-liners, but I couldn't wait for him to be dead after it was said that he lobbied against an act meant to ensure the humane slaughter of animals. 

Sorry but Chiyo is just a walking, talking deus ex machina IMHO.  I don't even understand how she configured in his life as she just seems so incredibly young to me.  

Hannibal must be some kind of super human. He didn't even flinch when he was being branded.

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 6

Whose face was it that Alana saw on the ceiling?

I'm pretty sure it was Hannibal; Mads' eyes are wonderful, even playing a cannibalistic serial killer.

I am as glad as Jack that everyone is back in Maryland. Yet, they're going to have their hands full with this next case. As well as Hannibal settling into his new digs.

I just hope that Price and Zeller are back too.

• Love 5
I figured the surrogate would be a sow even though I doubt a human fetus could grow in a sow.

Yep, that joined the dozens and dozens of things this show has presented that I've had to file under "Hahahahahaha NOPE but okay" to keep watching. Right up there with Hannibal's teleportation abilities, Mason's eel finding a new home and "Ask me how I got my giant rifle on the plane" Chiyo The Superfluous.

But they really brought it with the breakup scene. Will finally getting Hannibal to grasp that he's done--just done, done, done. Kill him, kidnap him, cut his arms off, eat his brain, run away; it doesn't matter. Will is bored now. Hannibal isn't going to present new or hidden depths, he's just going to be more of the same. Once again, brought to the point, the devil's just an old dog who can't present any new tricks to keep his desired one on the hook.

But being the devil, of course, Hannibal can't, by his very nature, grant Will any peace. He's got to fuck him over one more time, if only by making sure he doesn't get his wish--to not know where he is or what he's doing or anything about him. Worship's just another word for continuing existence as far as the devil's concerned.

• Love 10