Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Ding

• Start Topic

I just don't find Katie Holmes believable in this role. I feel like I get nothing real from her and it's really ruining every scene she's in. On a shallow note, her hair looked terrible. I have seen it look better in paparazzi photos so I don't know if the hair people hate her or if her character is supposed to have bad hair or what.

I hope Teresa isn't grooming Bunchy to be her sub.

When will Daryll ever learn that Mickey is a selfish prick who will only do something remotely nice for Daryll if it benefits Mickey first? I hate seeing Daryll get sucked into Mickey's stupid schemes over and over because Mickey doesn't give a crap about him. Mickey is totally inconsiderate, even when it's something as minor as Daryll wanting to go to bed and MIckey dragging him around all day from diners to Audrey's audition.

While I understand Bridget wanting Ray to come home for dinner because she misses her dad, I don't get how she thinks that things can just go back to normal. She knows that Abby slept with that cop, right? Does she really think that Ray is going to forgive her and everything will be the way that it used to be? And to be fair, it's not like Ray came home for dinner every night back in S1.

Connor trying to screw his mattress was hilariously horrifying. Even though I am totally fine with Abby and Ray not being together, I can understand why she called him. I mean, who else are you going to call when you catch your kid fucking his own mattress?

• Love 10

I just don't find Katie Holmes believable in this role. I feel like I get nothing real from her and it's really ruining every scene she's in. On a shallow note, her hair looked terrible. I have seen it look better in paparazzi photos so I don't know if the hair people hate her or if her character is supposed to have bad hair or what.

These two ruined the episode for me. I couldn't fast-forward because I didn't want to miss anything important, but I was gritting my teeth through their parts. Even though they were small time wise, they seemed to take forever on screen. It has to get better, right?

• Love 4

Why was Ray letting that Navy SEAL hit him at the end?  

Yeah, it was out of character for Ray not to have wild sex with the Katie Holmes character when he had her pinned up against the wall like that.  Kind of grateful we were spared that, at least for now.  But there was some weird sex in the ep what with Conor getting caught doing whatever by Abby and Bunchy being a total submissive while being ordered to clean the bathroom by a girl in leather.  

Love, love, love the dog.  

• Love 1

i was concerned when i saw the previews and knew that Katie Holmes was going to be on the show. she just can't act. it's kind of sad because she clearly believes she can and that she's fabulous. her teeth look funky to me. does she have braces on? if so, it's distracting. if she doesn't, then what is the deal with her teeth? i like this show. there are so many excellent actors they could have picked for that part.

• Love 5
(edited)

I agree that casting Katie Holmes was a mistake. She simply cannot act. What's really sad is that all her scenes are with Liev, who is a good actor, so his strengths only serve to hilight her weaknesses. Perhaps if she was brought on to interact with Abby and Bridget only, her minimal skills wouldn't be so jarring and would not serve to ruin every scene she is in.

I feel sorry for Daryll. I understand he grew up without his father, and he wants that connection. However, Mickey will destroy him and keep on moving like nothing happened. He continues to use Daryll while treating him like something he scraped off the bottom of his shoe. I mean putting up Daryll's car, making Daryll his enforcer but only giving him 20% of the business, what a piece of crap that man is. My fear is that Daryll will either wind up in jail like Terry or dead because this hooker/drug scheme is so going to blow up in their faces.

I know the actor who plays Terry was filming the BBC show, so this is why we are getting the jail stuff, but I am really concerned that between his Parkinson's and being a target, Terry will not be long for this world.

Ray is so much better when he is out of Abby's sphere of whining nuttiness. As a result, I am liking season three, where there is more focus on Ray as a fixer, much better than season two.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 4

I started watching this how last summer, quickly binged on season 1, and then was looking forward to this season. However, I thought it was obvious that this season was going to be the by far the hardest to write well. We know everybody quite well by now, and have witnessed their reaction to their life circumstances. Unless you want to have the audience watching characters doing the same thing over and over, now you have to credibly write the characters evolving in response to their life circumstances. That's really hard to do.

I thought last night's episode was the worst I've seen, from any season. Katie Holmes may be a crappy actor, but her dialogue was horribly written. I'd have to go back  and check, but I think they had her talking about her "daddy" in unironic fashion, which is competely at odds with what her character is supposed to be. On top of that, the plot with the quarterback/client made no sense. She wanted to see her client's career harmed, because she also represented the backup quarterback? Huh? That's just stupid. 

I hope this isn't a harbinger of the rest of the season, because I'll likely give up on it if it is. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I dont know what´s creepier - the teeth of Katie Holmes or the inevitable romance between her and Ray, looming on the horizon somewhere around episode 6-7. They deserve each other all right. Ray is one self-centered hypocrite smug, acting all hurt by his wife´s affair with the cop and having total amnesia regarding his own numerous infidelities, last murdered reporter included. Ray Donovan is more alike to Mickey than he will ever imagine: just like his oldman he doesnt give a dime about who he hurts. 

Edited by MorningOwl
  • Love 6

Can somebody please tell me who was stabbed in that scene with the woman and what was going on? Why was Ray hit at the end of the spisode? I think I have to pay more attention. I get a call, my mind strays... 

(edited)

Can somebody please tell me who was stabbed in that scene with the woman and what was going on? Why was Ray hit at the end of the spisode? I think I have to pay more attention. I get a call, my mind strays... 

I'm pretty sure the guy that was injured in that scene was the football player that Katie Holmes' character hired Ray for.  The woman was the Navy Seal's wife who the football player was cheating with.  Katie Holmes' character set up the Navy Seal by sending him up to the hotel room to sign a non-disclosure agreement and get his money, when instead, he saw his wife and the football player.  Ray showed up at Navy Seal's home later to again persuade him to take the money, but Navy Seal wasn't having it and kept hitting Ray every time he held the check out because he (Navy Seal) felt Ray was the one that set him up to catch his wife and the football player en flagrante.  At least that is what happened as I remember it!

Out of all of the cast, Terry was the one that really moved me this episode.  I know he chose his fate by ending up in prison because he participated in the armed robbery with Mickey and Darryl and decided to take the fall all by himself.  Still, it breaks my heart to see him locked up, battling Parkinson's and the Aryan Nation all at the same time.  It's just sad.  

So Bunchie has fallen for the Mexican woman wrestler in a BDSM sort of situation?  Interesting....

Ray is such an ass, especially to his kids. I know he's suffering (mainly due to decisions he brought on himself), but the kids don't have anything to do with that. He is starting to become more and more of a bad father like MIckey by the day.  The only difference between the two is that Ray removes himself whenever things get tough while Mickey sticks around spreading his dysfunction.

Katie Holmes does nothing to add to this show.  I had hopes (not very high) that I'd see something really interesting with her playing this role, but I'm not buying her so far.  Hopefully she'll settle in as the season evolves.

Edited by damalanop
  • Love 5
I just don't find Katie Holmes believable in this role. I feel like I get nothing real from her and it's really ruining every scene she's in. On a shallow note, her hair looked terrible.

LOL, I was wondering why her hair was so messed up. The bathroom scene was so awkward. I know they were going for the "will he kiss her in anger" thing (which I've never understood, but TV/movies tend to do it a lot), but I was cracking up at how bad it was.

Bunchy creeps me out as it is, and yes, that's where they are going with this. I mean, she was standing over him, yelling instructions on how to clean the shower with a toothbrush while he was on his knees.

When will Daryll ever learn that Mickey is a selfish prick who will only do something remotely nice for Daryll if it benefits Mickey first? I hate seeing Daryll get sucked into Mickey's stupid schemes over and over.

I feel like we've done this storyline SO many times.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm really, really not into watching a molestation victim get into being someone's Sub. What writer is thinking this is okay?

I'm so worried about Terry! He better survive those previews next week.

It was refreshing to see Ray laugh at something, even if it was Connor's bed banging. I liked his interaction with the jilted husband, too.

I was prime Dawson's Creek fan age. All my girl friends watched and we were so into Joey/Pacey. Now? Katie Holmes does less than nothing for me (but I like Joshua Jackson in Fringe and now The Affair.) As someone else said she even seems to look worse on the show than she does elsewhere. Her hair looks...fried or something. Such bad casting here. Ray should totally drive her off a cliff.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

I know absolutely nothing about Katie Holmes but man, she looked old.

Why is Ray pushing Avi and Lena away?  That makes no sense to me, any more than the fact that he seems to take no pleasure in his work at which he has earned a lot of money, but persists in career and personal choices that continue to destroy his life, bit by bit.

Poor Terry.  But I would have thought they knew in prison that he was a boxer, and had been a really good boxer, and not just assume he couldn't fight. 

Bunchy?  Meh....   And that priest is going to start causing problems, too.

Somehow I want Al and Trixie in a scene together, even if it doesn't fit the plotline.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's about time five-head directed some anger at Ray, i.e. hanging up on him.  Why Abby doesn't set her straight about Ray's cheating is so not in character. Why does Ray not want to come home? If its because reporter chick was killed or that the shrew named Abby cheated, that is also not in character. Why would he care this much? Haven't seen Abby's boyfriend so I'm guessing they broke up?

I hope Terry makes it out alive. He is a good man. Bunchy and that wrestler make me uncomfortable. Watch out Daryll, Mickey already got one of his kids killed, one in jail about to be shanked and it looks like you're next.

If those are braces on Katie Holmes they make her teeth look jacked up. She's a millionaire and can't afford Invisalign?

Edited by tricknasty
  • Love 3

The way Katie Holmes looks in this show should be a cautionary tale to young women looking to be with Tom Cruise.

Ray had to do a double take when he first saw the dog.

Then later, he doesn't show up for dinner so Abby feeds him Ray's dinner, out of his place setting!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Any guess why they have Paige (KH) wearing braces? The fact that she's a bad actress is just exaggerated by her lisp with that metal in her mouth. What. Were. They. Thinking!

Does she have braces in real life?  If so, why would they cast her?  If they are fake, why?  The character's family has billions.  She would have had perfect teeth by the time she was 16.   Just unnecessarily distracting.  And I hate the character, not in a good way. 

• Love 1

Do you notice that Daryll is the only son who calls Mickey "Pops" (or Dad, Father, etc.)?

I don't think I have ever heard the other sons refer to Mickey at Dad, Father or Pops. Unlike Daryll, they have been burned too much.

• Love 1

No wonder the Chargers never make it to the Super Bowl, they've had Katie Holmes in charge all these years.

What's up with Ray always missing dinner with his family?  It's a running theme on this show.  He can't pop in to eat and then go back out on the prowl?  Even Tony Soprano made sure to get in his family time.

• Love 2

i was concerned when i saw the previews and knew that Katie Holmes was going to be on the show. she just can't act. it's kind of sad because she clearly believes she can and that she's fabulous. her teeth look funky to me. does she have braces on? if so, it's distracting. if she doesn't, then what is the deal with her teeth? i like this show. there are so many excellent actors they could have picked for that part.

why bother with all this character complexity when Abby's dog is a better actor than her

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/katie-holmes-reveals-mystery-braces-ray-donovan-gma/story?id=32613582

Totally agree re: Katie Holmes.  She's not the type of actress with the presence to pull off this role.  And I'd think someone with her character's $ would have better hair.  Take some of that Aston Martin money and get a deep conditioning treatment and about 4 inches of that mess lopped off.

So the Navy Seal went to the hotel room, saw the wife and QB and cut his bicep?  And this was all part of Katie's plan?  What if the QB presses charges? 

Did love it when Ray told her "If you ever pull that again I'll put you in the trunk of that fucking Aston Martin and drive it off a cliff".

That has got to be the most chill dog ever.    Note to Abby - don't give your dog anything with those types of bones. Choking hazard. 

• Love 1

No wonder the Chargers never make it to the Super Bowl, they've had Katie Holmes in charge all these years.

What's up with Ray always missing dinner with his family?  It's a running theme on this show.  He can't pop in to eat and then go back out on the prowl?  Even Tony Soprano made sure to get in his family time.

Excuse me, sir, the Chargers are Superbowl champions and solid contenders a lot of the time...

LOL, you all are just really hating on Katie... I would rather her than the Abbie and her daughter characters. And I don't know why they are so annoying either. Just cringe when they come on the screen.

Did love it when Ray told her "If you ever pull that again I'll put you in the trunk of that fucking Aston Martin and drive it off a cliff".

That has got to be the most chill dog ever.    Note to Abby - don't give your dog anything with those types of bones. Choking hazard. 

Actually what Ray said was, "If you ever pull that again I'll put you in the trunk of that fucking AAAston MaHHHtin and drive it off a cliff".

And yes, I cringed when Abbie fed her dog those bones.

LOL, you all are just really hating on Katie... I would rather her than the Abbie and her daughter characters. And I don't know why they are so annoying either. Just cringe when they come on the screen.

I was actually looking forward to Katie being on the show, and I thought at the beginning of this story line that she was actually going to be someone who would use Ray's talents for good.    I forgot what show I was watching. 

I have never liked the actress playing Abbie.  She was in a Battlestar Galactica spin off a few years ago, and something about her bugged me then, too.  Nothing personal, I just don't get her. 

Frank Semyon from True Detective should hire Ray Donovan.  His blue balls of the heart and other issues would be cleared up in a jiffy. 

• Love 2

Totally agree re: Katie Holmes.  She's not the type of actress with the presence to pull off this role.  And I'd think someone with her character's $ would have better hair.  Take some of that Aston Martin money and get a deep conditioning treatment and about 4 inches of that mess lopped off.

Her hair looks TERRIBLE. Dry, scraggly, unkempt. I feel like it usually looks healthy; is that what being married to Tom Cruise does to you?

Connor was really getting after it with his bed, huh? Ha!

• Love 2

Katie Holmes can't act her way out of a wet paper bag.  For being the Alterna (hair care) celebrity endorser, her hair looks like fried shit.  How did she get this gig? 

Ray needs to throw her in the trunk of her car, set it on fire first and then let it go over a cliff.

What exactly is Avi doing now?  Private detective work or something more sinister?

• Love 1

Am binge watching the series over Christmas break, so hopefully someone is on these boards? What is a Ding (title)? And agree about Katie Holmes hair, braces and acting abilities. Abby, Abby, like you for loving the dog, but you never feed a dog cooked bones....they splinter.

Is Avi coming back? Love the character to death although they never really explained his rabid devotion to Ray, or Lena's either for that matter. But have been grossed out since I realized the actor is the guy I've seen on social media dating the 18 year old that looks about 12. Gross.