Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Girl Meets Mr. Squirrels Goes To Washington

(edited)

That gasp and squeal you heard when Tommy revealed himself did not come from me. And it's just dusty in here. 

Did not see that coming at all! And yes, it was totally contrived that Tommy just happens to be a blogger who's criticized Eric's opponent in the past, but it does justify a random blogger believing fully in Eric.

According to IMDB that is the same actor.

ETA: Or maybe they're just crediting him for the flashbacks, but there's no TJ character listed right now.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2

Bastards! That was not fair I was trying to figure out what was the point of this blogger and then bam it's Tommy. Then you show the clips from the original series which were so sad, wtf? You can't just pull at the heartstrings like that. Seriously the Tommy arc in the original series was always one of my favorite Eric storyline.

Loved Eric and Robot. Also loved the fact Farkle is still looking for his birth certificate.

Also loved Riley dunking her head in the cereal. That's a good niche. Also kind of like Farkle and Riley and wouldn't mind seeing more scenes with them.

• Love 1

This Eric as a Senator/politician storyline is stupid, but I just love Eric/Will Friedle too much to really complain. And TOMMY!!!!! With those flashbacks/clips! So many FEELS!!!!! (Sorry for the caps lock and exclamation points; I'm just very happy about this particular part of the episode.)

I really loved Cory and Topanga running off at the end. Eric's relationship with the kids was great. Robot. Moesha. He can't adopt Tommy, but maybe he could adopt another kid?

• Love 4

This episode was okay, but it was seriously boring. I felt like I was being lectured and preached to the entire time. It was a ridiculous premise anyways.

Politics is a very deep subject that take a lot of time and serious consideration to develop opinions in. It irritated me how the show glossed over this. Yeah, in general kids matter. We should want to make the world better for future generations. But, kids don't vote. Therefore, it should not matter to this senator facing Eric that a bunch of kids support Eric. They won't be able to vote for several years. It blew my mind that this guy who apparently has won 3 times would waste his time with this. And it makes sense that Eric would want to run on a platform centered around children, but with no other issues that he cares about how on earth do they expect him to win? I was glad they left it ambiguous because I would have been really angry if he won.

I do like that this seemed like a genuine attempt to educate kids on why voting is important, but it was too idealistic??? Like Cory at the beginning was like 'You shouldn't be cynical'. Plenty of cynical people go on to do great things. Just because you're cynical doesn't mean you can't push for change. I hate how this show promotes relentless optimism. It's not healthy. Sometimes it's good to acknowledge the reality of a situation. Not everything is possible and part of growing up is coming to terms with that fact. I feel like Riley's development (as well as the rest of the show) is being stagnated by their refusal to let her learn this particular lesson. 

On a much happier note, I nearly cried at the appearance of Tommy. I loved his storyline with Eric. It was one of the few good college era stories. 

• Love 3

It might be a bit too idealistic, though I don't mind too much right now especially with the characters still in middle school. Personally remember high school really being where idealism starts getting crushed, may just be me. 

Looking at some of the upcoming episodes on IMDB or the writers twitter, sounds like there is possibility for some...idealism breaking later in the season. Have to see how they play those episodes though.

Overall liked the episode, as someone who didn't really follow BMW, still found the whole Tommy thing to be really touching. Likely helped by including the flashbacks, but yeah can see it being something everyone really finds touching, even kids who didn't see the original show. 

Liked Robot, liked Maya calling herself Moesha when they were trying to get him back in the race. Loved the running off at the end, and obviously (from above) liked the whole thing with Tommy. 

• Love 1

According to IMDB that is the same actor.

ETA: Or maybe they're just crediting him for the flashbacks, but there's no TJ character listed right now.

The end credits list JB Gaynor as TJ, so it was the same actor. I noticed on IMDB that he wasn't listed in anything else in the last 10 years.

OMG! Tommy!  Ok, I admit I wasn't crazy about the college years and I probably wouldn't have remembered the Tommy storyline without the flashbacks but....that was sweet and awesome (and completely out of the blue LOL).  I was rather annoyed at first that this mystery blogger dude just happened to be sitting in the café when Eric came in to announce he was running.  I mean, this is NYC, not some small town where everyone is related to everyone else is some way.  When it was explained he was actually Tommy, it took away some of the annoyance, but it still didn't make a lot of sense.  If Tommy realized the café belonged to Eric's brother and sister-in-law, why would he not have introduced himself prior to this?  Actually, why did he wait for the debate to reveal who he was?  You would think that would have been the FIRST thing out of his mouth after the "I'm the thorn" comment.  Ok, not going to tear it apart with logic.  It was awesome.  :)  Loved the continuity of Farkle still searching for his birth certificate and Eric saying he has a "niche" and a nephew who is "cousin Auggie". 

• Love 2
Loved the continuity of Farkle still searching for his birth certificate

I loved that it came up in the political episode so they got a double joke out of it.

And I love that Farkle was totally ready to try out the laser eyes on Eric.

• Love 4

So this whole plot is so nonsensical and sometimes I want to slap the writers upside the head, but I love Will Friedle and water may have leaked from my eyes with the Tommy reveal.  I wasn't expecting that and I never would have recognized him.  Mind you I'm not sure it would have meant much to the kiddies even with the flashbacks.  In general I'm not sure how much the younger fans of this show care about the older characters since they don't have the same connection to them that we do.  As a result this show is always sort of walking this weird line of a appealing to the kids and new fans while also throwing the BMW fans a bone.

I did like the robot bits with Farkle.  

Not to mention the fact that it's "Cory", not "Corey". I'd expect that from a normal poster (even if it is annoying, but.. 

I just noticed that! She used that spelling 8 times!

The Tommy reveal really did have me gasp! I don't know honestly if I like this season more because they're throwing in easter eggs from BMWs or what, but I don't know. The fact that some of these things are happening and I don't know about them before hand and then I get to watch and a surprise makes me smile. It was a good episode though. I always love Eric. 

I can't speak for all kids, but my 12 year old loves the Eric episodes.  Those are the ones he watches more than once, completely into it each time.  

Tommy and those flashbacks made me tear up. I remember crying when those episodes originally aired.  

And Cory and Topanga running at the end was perfect.  

• Love 1

Really liked this episode. Any preachiness aside. I just did my best to ignore it and enjoy the Eric. It was fun for what it's worth.

I can't speak for all kids, but my 12 year old loves the Eric episodes.  Those are the ones he watches more than once, completely into it each time.  

Tommy and those flashbacks made me tear up. I remember crying when those episodes originally aired.  

And Cory and Topanga running at the end was perfect.  

Same! It was well done.

Definitely lmao XD.

Aww, Tommy

Note to the reviewer: Dismissive snarkiness works for RH recaps, not so much for this show. Yes, it's often ridiculous, but if we're going to snark about overused tropes, the "Kids these days don't care about anything but the newest gadget" is one of the most tired of all.

I love Eric and it's great to see the actor hasn't missed a beat but jeez  is it because im older now or did they dumb him down WORSE than he was in later BMW seasons?

and it was nice moment when Eric realized it was Tommy and wow I forget how nice Eric hair use to be watching the flashbacks lol

I love Eric and it's great to see the actor hasn't missed a beat but jeez  is it because im older now or did they dumb him down WORSE than he was in later BMW seasons?

and it was nice moment when Eric realized it was Tommy and wow I forget how nice Eric hair use to be watching the flashbacks lol

I don't think that they did. He was like he was at the end as far as I could tell.

• Love 1

Aww, Tommy

Note to the reviewer: Dismissive snarkiness works for RH recaps, not so much for this show. Yes, it's often ridiculous, but if we're going to snark about overused tropes, the "Kids these days don't care about anything but the newest gadget" is one of the most tired of all.

I think it's settled, we want our regularly scheduled reviewer back! Even if she doesn't post a review for this episode I hope she comments what she thought about it.

The kids I know that watch this show have gotten really into the original BMW show thanks to all the old casts appearances, so I don't think it's hindering the show. I personally love it and was shocked it was Tommy even though that storyline was never a fave of mine. I want them to work in as many BMW characters as possible, even if it has to be some odd one-off episode or dream sequence thing.

(edited)

Okay writers, I see what you did here. This episode was supposed to air BEFORE "Girl Meets Hurricane" but you knew you would need something to appease my cold and broken heart so you switched 'em. Well played.

I really enjoy Will Friedle and it's obvious that the cast does as well. Ben and Danielle can hardly keep a straight face in their scenes with the man. I'm really glad he faced whatever was holding him back and was brave enough to appear on this show. His episodes have been my favorites. Also loved his reaction to Harley.

I was spoiled about the Tommy thing, which made me less suspicious of the blogger. Still didn't stop me from falling apart during the flashbacks. When I was younger I thought the Tommy story was kind of lame (I was 12, okay?) but rewatching it as an adult was a whole different story. Loved the idea to bring him back and kind of bring a happy ending to that. So unexpected and unnecessary even (nobody listed Tommy on their list of demands for GMW), but absolutely genius.

More often than not, the big guys in charge are good with callbacks. Loved the cereal and ratty old bathrobe! Just missing the Good Looking Guy theme. Book 'em, good lookin'.

This show just needs to stick with Eric, Robot and Niche. Cory can come too.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 4

I really enjoy Will Friedle and it's obvious that the cast does as well. Ben and Danielle can hardly keep a straight face in their scenes with the man. I'm really glad he faced whatever was holding him back and was brave enough to appear on this show. His episodes have been my favorites. Also loved his reaction to Harley.

I think Will Friedle  said he  didn't want to guest star in the first season so the show could stand on its own feet, because Eric was such a huge part of the success of Boy Meets World, which I think was quite smart of him and respectful to GmW. Now that the show is in its second season, he feel the show has enough legs to stand on its own, he can return. 

• Love 1

I think Will Friedle  said he  didn't want to guest star in the first season so the show could stand on its own feet, because Eric was such a huge part of the success of Boy Meets World, which I think was quite smart of him and respectful to GmW. Now that the show is in its second season, he feel the show has enough legs to stand on its own, he can return. 

He's also been fighting with anxiety if I recall correctly.

Stephanie will return to this space next week.

And will we throw a ticker tape parade to celebrate her glorious return!

• Love 1

Yes, I think Will has had a problem with social anxiety. I remember reading an article where he said he would probably just stick with doing voice stuff with cartoons. I'm glad he's dealt with it enough to appear on this show though. I wonder if a lot of him being able to deal with it to be on this show is maybe because he knows Ben, Danielle and possibly people behind the scenes, so it's comfortable for him to be there, maybe? Either way, Eric was always my favorite on BMW so I'm glad he is on this show. 

I don't think they have dumbed Eric down from BMW.  They dumbed Eric down during BMW so by the time we got to the college episodes, it was sometimes far too over the line.  That said, Will Friedle plays it well so I think that is partly why the writers did it.  He still does.  So at the very least it's almost always funny.

I could also see the kiddies with no BMW knowledge responding to Eric well because he's just an all around fun character and Will brings so much energy to what he does.  In a way I'm willing to bet that the Eric stuff goes over better with the kiddies than all the angsty Shawn stuff.

I'm glad Will has been able to deal with his anxiety enough to get back out there and I hope the warm reception for him shows him that he has been missed.  I still think the Eric running for Senate plot is fairly stupid, but at least it's fun stupid and he already has a really good back and forth with the kids.  I think it would be cute if Eric took Robot under his wing to some degree.

• Love 2

Okay, I flat out cried when the blogger turned out to be Tommy. I'm an easy crier to begin with, but this one just killed me. Tears streaming down my face, killed me. Eric got too dumb at the end of BMW, but I always liked Will as an actor. He nailed the scene. I loved the classroom scene with Harley too. When he kissed him, I busted out laughing. 

I did realize something as I was watching. Somehow Eric has better chemistry with every single character on this show than any other adult. Eric literally works well with everyone. I'd have to chalk it up to Will. He plays off so well with the kids it literally makes the other adult actors look like amateurs. The running jokes work amazingly well too. Maya's name, Farkle being a robot, his niche Riley. All perfectly played. 

I'm not one to save shows I've watched on my DVR. I watch and delete. This, I actually saved. 

• Love 4

I don't remember this Tommy kid at all from BMW. Admittedly I was not a superfan and haven't seen the shows since they first aired, though I am now watching in reruns but I cried hard at the flashbacks, so I can say, they did a good job of making their point without relying completely on older fans remembering the storyline.

I liked this ep, a lot. It was ridiculous, but I actually think the show is working better since embracing it's ridiculous side. All of these actors are great at comedy so I think this plays to that strength. Rowan especially seems to benefit from the sillier side of the show. She's a great little comedic actress.

I also liked the message, even if it was heavy handed.

• Love 3

I am 100% in love with Eric Matthews and volunteer as first lady to St. Upidtown. I realize if he was a real person I would worry about his safety and probably not love him the way I do. I thought the blogger was *someone*, I kept thinking his chin looked familiar. Then the flashbacks, then the tears, then the rewinding, rewatching, more tears. From the promos I thought it might be a funny episode, but once I saw that the Strong Brothers were codirectors I knew it would get dusty!!!

• Love 5

I really enjoy how they're using Eric in GMW.  I think he probably plays well to the kid audience because he's goofy but he also plays well to the BMW adult audience because he's freaking Eric Matthews (and goofy).  He has his moments of clarity, which I think he did in BMW, but deep down he's still just Squirrels.  

I was a little meh on this episode at first, aside from Eric and Farkle's interactions (robot! and the birth certificate running joke), because the blogger in the cafe seemed so random and weird. But then he said his name at the debate!  I gasped and then got a little teary.  I don't care how contrived and random his finding about Eric running for Senate was, it's little Tommy!!  I don't really remember how I felt about the Tommy story line as a kid, but I spent the better part of the spring watching BMW reruns while up at night with my baby son and whenever Tommy episodes were on man my mom emotions got to me.  So seeing him all grown up and okay make me feel all the feels.  Every last feel.  

There's also something about adult Eric, whether it's how they're styling him or his hair, that totally reminds me of Alan. Like he could definitely be Alan Matthews' adult bio son.  And he does have really fantastic chemistry with the whole cast, without any creepy with the kids. 

• Love 5

Add me as another person who doesn't remember Tommy. Although to be honest I was tuning out Eric during the last two seasons of the show.

I don't remember that story line at all, but I might have stopped watching "Boy Meets World" by then. 

Eric (Will Friedle) has great chemistry with pretty much all the cast members, but he's a spice best used sparingly. I hated how stupid they made Eric by the end of "Boy Meets World" (which might have been why I stopped watching), and too much of him here will make me feel the same way. They've almost already done that with Riley.

I got a kick out of what was probably the most unprofessional anchorwoman in New York media and her snide comments, especially when she was talking about Eric and "Stupidtown," and immediately says, "Yes, I know how it's pronounced."

Was this supposed to be US Senate or New York Senate? New York Senate would make more sense. Also, calling a New Yorker "Jefferson Davis Whatever" doesn't really work, because we don't tend to name our children after traitors from the Civil War. Yes, I get that they wanted to make him the bad guy in no uncertain terms.

• Love 2

Eric had 2 story lines involving children 

One was the foster child and the other with the Mom who had a son ..thats who I thought Tommy was(before the flashback) and the story I remember more 

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh goodness the Tommy reveal was fabulous, the only time Girl made me cry actual tears. I had read a spoiler about it (someone on my Twitter literally tweets out "TOMMY!!!" a couple days before the episode) but I didn't know in what context he'd be in it. I did recognize him in Topanga's, so I was anxious to see how he'd reveal himself. Will Friedle NAILED NAILED NAILED that reaction.

They need to keep Tommy (I refuse to refer to him as "T.J.") around whenever Eric shows up. Tommy's presence automatically humanizes Eric and brings him down to his mid-series sweet spot and prevents the writers from going full season 7 with him. I also was astounded by how much characterization they gave Tommy; they could do a lot with that. JB Gaynor is now on Twitter and he seems game, so I really hope he sticks around.

Edited by Canadian213
  • Love 1
(edited)

On a completely shallow note, seeing Will Friedle cleaned up in and in a suit, I thought he looked very handsome. It reminded what a beautiful teenager/young adult he was before he gained the weight from being on meds. Even then he carried the weight a lot better than most people. Even though Matt Lawrence had the better body in the 7th season, Will Friedle still had the better looking face. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2

Didn't like this episode. I don't really care about about Eric becoming a Senator. And I don't even remember this Tommy kid, so the reveal meant nothing to me. I just found the episode too preachy, boring, and dry.

Although, I will say the stuff with Eric and Farkle was great.

On a completely shallow note, seeing Will Friedle cleaned up in and in a suit, I thought he looked very handsome. It reminded what a beautiful teenager/young adult he was before he gained the weight from being on meds. Even then he carried the weight a lot better than most people. Even though Matt Lawrence had the better body in the 7th season, Will Friedle still had the better looking face. 

He looks fantastic- good on him for getting back down to a healthier weight.

I also thought he made a WAY prettier girl than Jack did during the crossdressing episode.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1