Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

A Davis & White video of their Olympic '14 FD popped up on my phone this morning. I hadn't seen it in a while so I decided to watch it. They were flying around the rink, Meryl was twisting & turning all around Charlie's shoulders, the tempo of Scheherazade increased, they did their twizzles toward the end of the FD...and I was almost exhausted as I was so into their performance.  I really miss this creative & mega talented team. Actually, I miss this kind of ice dancing--great interpretation of the music + impressive physical strength on both their parts. 

• Love 10

Not only did Lu/Mitronfanov win, they beat Alexa/Brandon and Jessica/Brian (and James/Radford & Moore-Towers/Mariano). US Pairs Olympic team just got even more interesting. Frankly, I’m really disappointed in Alexa this competition, she had a rough jump day and when she’s on, Brandon is off. They haven’t pulled it together all season. Pairs and Women are going to be TENSE at Nationals and I can’t wait cause I'm going to be there 🤩

Edited by healthnut
mispelling
  • Love 10

I just read something interesting in the Washington Post. World Triathlon imposed sanctions on Russia "after repeated doping cases including one athlete who competed at the Tokyo Olympics". It said they wouldn't stop Russia's triathletes from competing but they would "bar Russia from hosting world and European-level events until the end of 2022, suspend Russian officials from international positions and mandate more drug testing". So, does this mean that at upcoming skating competitions, (Europeans, 4C's, the Olympics, and Worlds) none of the judges will be Russian?

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read something interesting in the Washington Post. World Triathlon imposed sanctions on Russia "after repeated doping cases including one athlete who competed at the Tokyo Olympics". It said they wouldn't stop Russia's triathletes from competing but they would "bar Russia from hosting world and European-level events until the end of 2022, suspend Russian officials from international positions and mandate more drug testing". So, does this mean that at upcoming skating competitions, (Europeans, 4C's, the Olympics, and Worlds) none of the judges will be Russian?

I think this ruling only applies for triathlon events, since the entity placing the sanctions is World Triathlon. Skating is governed by the International Skating Union.

28 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

I think this ruling only applies for triathlon events, since the entity placing the sanctions is World Triathlon. Skating is governed by the International Skating Union.

Thanks for the reality check. I'm so tired of Russia breaking (drugging) rules but still having their athletes participate. That "Olympic team" ruse (which the Russian athletes supposedly play for) is a joke. They wear their country's colors and commentators always announce them as Russians.  So I guess I glommed onto the exciting words, "suspend Russian officials". Never mind 🙀

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

President Biden has nominated Michelle Kwan as the chief US envoy to Belize. She was active in Biden's election campaign. Not much ice skating activity in Belize, though.

Now here's another skater whose style I sorely miss (but only her programs choreographed by Lori Nichols). Lori included so many little gestures--using hands, eyes--that didn't cost the skater anything in energy, but added so much to the artistry, making those programs memorable.

• Love 4

Kwan has a masters in international relations and has worked with the state departments of the Bush and Obama administrations so she has more qualifications than some other ambassadorial appointees but not enough for any of the more prestigious appointments. Belize is an entry level appointment and exactly the type of position you'd give someone who has never held the position before. She may or may not be successful at it (I think she'll do a good job) but at the very least we know she's going to comport herself with dignity and not embarrass the US. 

Although, if she had been appointed to Russia we could have had fun imagining her hanging out with Irina S. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Useful 3
  • Love 14

I have no doubts that Michelle will be an excellent ambassador.  None at all.  I would, however, giving a great deal of money to see her dealing with Putin.  I think she would end up wiping the floor with him.

I hear Tarasova is in the hospital?  I suspect Covid, because at this point so many people are (still) getting it.

1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I have no doubts that Michelle will be an excellent ambassador.  None at all.  I would, however, giving a great deal of money to see her dealing with Putin.  I think she would end up wiping the floor with him.

I hear Tarasova is in the hospital?  I suspect Covid, because at this point so many people are (still) getting it.

That's sad to hear (about Tarasova). I've missed seeing her (& miss her interviews) at competitions.

Re: Ambassador Kwan? She will excel no matter which country in which she serves. Even though I would prefer seeing her on ice, I'm glad, & proud, to know that she represents America. Michelle has the education & training to be an exceptional ambassador--a great representative for the USA.

• Love 5

I'm reading reports that Nathan is going back to La Boheme and Rocketman for Nationals (and presumably beyond.)  These aren't my personal favorites of his but the new programs seemed to need more mileage and fine tuning in performance than his schedule allowed. 

• Love 1

And I think he should’ve just stuck with this years long. Rocket man doesn’t feel very Olympic to me, either. Although, it really doesn’t matter what program he does if he lands his jumps. What worries me is his indecisiveness. He was very flippant on the media call about what program he was going. I wonder if they’re bringing in a judge for some feedback before they make a final decision or if he’s just being secretive. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, healthnut said:

And I think he should’ve just stuck with this years long. Rocket man doesn’t feel very Olympic to me, either. Although, it really doesn’t matter what program he does if he lands his jumps. What worries me is his indecisiveness. He was very flippant on the media call about what program he was going. I wonder if they’re bringing in a judge for some feedback before they make a final decision or if he’s just being secretive. 

What I read was that he simply chose the programs he had scored the highest with.

Interested to see how Hanyu looks at Japanese nationals.  Also, TOTALLY rooting for Muramoto-Takahashi.  They are such an exciting team with two fantastic programs.  Daisuke is still a master artist (even as he finds his way to becoming a good ice dancer from being an all-time great singles skater.)

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Also, TOTALLY rooting for Muramoto-Takahashi.  They are such an exciting team with two fantastic programs.  Daisuke is still a master artist (even as he finds his way to becoming a good ice dancer from being an all-time great singles skater.)

IMO, Daisuke is still *The King* of men's figure skating.  He's so creative & such a beautiful, athletic skater. It's fun watching him learn & compete in a very different discipline.

• Love 2

Glad to hear Hanyu is back, but I still think the OGM is Nathan’s to lose. We’ll see though as the Olympics does strange things to competitors and ice is slippery. 

I think the only competition I’m looking forward to in ice skating at the Olympics is the pairs competition. I think that one may be the least predictable. 

I'll admit that I lol when one of the stuffed animals that was thrown for Kamila hit Eteri in the head. Not sure if that makes me a terrible person.

Kamila's short was gorgeous. Her Bolero program isn't my favorite but she skated her heart out so it was really nice to see her rise to the occasion and earn her win. She's the only skater who made the podium and didn't have a fall.

Really bummed for Elizaveta. This is the third Olympic nationals where she's blown it. I guess it's just not meant to be. Even if she had been clean it would have been a tough call. It would be one thing if her artistry and skating skills were superior and made up for her not always having the jumps, but her spins, transitions, footwork etc aren't as good as skaters like Kamila, Anna, Rika, Loena, Karen, etc.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The russian pair pulling out due to a back injury sounds suspicious to me too….like it’s part of a back room deal with Eteri’s peeps.

And unless something changes at Euros, I think all of Eteri’s girls are going to the olympics.

I can’t wait to see the Japanese Nationals for the women.  The clips I’ve seen are tremendous.

35 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

The russian pair pulling out due to a back injury sounds suspicious to me too….like it’s part of a back room deal with Eteri’s peeps.

I don't know if I'm suspicious of anything. But I am wondering if they'll skip Europeans to let his back heal (if a back can heal w/o surgery🙄) in order to be capable of competing at the O's.

• Love 1

One thing I've been wandering: if Nikita's back injury is so severe that S/K can't go to the Olympics/can't perform at their typical level, how would that affect Russia's chances at a team gold medal? A lot of people think that Russia would be guaranteed the gold at that event, but that was assuming that S/K were a part of it and won at least one of the ice dance events (since France didn't make the team event, so no P/C to contend against). Are the other main Russian ice dance teams as beloved with the international judges as S/K are?

2 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

One thing I've been wandering: if Nikita's back injury is so severe that S/K can't go to the Olympics/can't perform at their typical level, how would that affect Russia's chances at a team gold medal? A lot of people think that Russia would be guaranteed the gold at that event, but that was assuming that S/K were a part of it and won at least one of the ice dance events (since France didn't make the team event, so no P/C to contend against). Are the other main Russian ice dance teams as beloved with the international judges as S/K are?

The international judges certainly like the other top Russian ice dance teams of Stepanova/Bukin and Davis/Smolkin, but neither are currently at the same level as Sinitsina/Katsalapov.

• Useful 1

Is there any chance that Liza will be allowed to have something of a "do over" at the Europeans and that will decide who is on the Olympic team or is that totally out of the question? I'm just wondering if the Rus Federation is at all concerned about injuries wrt Trusova and Shcherbakova and if they'll use Europeans as the last Olympic trial before they make their decision? Obviously Kamila is in and probably Trusova but maybe that 3rd spot is still up for grabs for Anna, Maiia or Liza? 

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part? I'd really talked myself into believing that Liza would make the team, so I feel devastated for her that she had that bad short program. 

2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Is there any chance that Liza will be allowed to have something of a "do over" at the Europeans and that will decide who is on the Olympic team or is that totally out of the question? I'm just wondering if the Rus Federation is at all concerned about injuries wrt Trusova and Shcherbakova and if they'll use Europeans as the last Olympic trial before they make their decision? Obviously Kamila is in and probably Trusova but maybe that 3rd spot is still up for grabs for Anna, Maiia or Liza? 

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part? I'd really talked myself into believing that Liza would make the team, so I feel devastated for her that she had that bad short program. 

Hate to say it but probably not. Liza's last chance was to throw down at the Russian Nationals, and she didn't get it done in the SP. I really like her spunk and the way her team packages her, but I dont think she's going to the Olys barring injury to Anna or Sasha (which could happen).

I think Kamila is a lock for the team and honestly, she deserves it. She's the best all around skater of the lot.

It probably helps that she didn't actually learn to skate from Eteri. She switched over to Sambo70 about three years ago. But her stroking, jump technique, and spins she probably learned prior to going to Eteri.

• Love 3