Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why do they *have* to do the unusual? Why not focus all their outstanding talent on something normal--but spectacular?  S/K have. P/C and H/D have. None of the top teams, each of whom could win the O gold medal, are wasting their time working on eerie FDs...except for Chock & Bates. Now, if C/B win the gold...I'll eat my ski hat 😋

For me, I appreciate that Chock and Bates went weird this season. Many of the other top teams have a similar generically dramatic aesthetic for their free dance this season—in my completely biased and semi-informed opinion. I think Chock and Bates sell it best when they’re performing material that gives them something more specific to convey than just the vague idea that FEELINGS ARE HAPPENING.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Domenicholas said:

For me, most of the ice dances now feel like different variations of the same uniform, all soft and romantic. We need more sibling teams like the Shibutanis, ones who couldn't do soft and romantic without making it awkward for everybody.

Exactly what I meant by being BORED. All the ice dances are soft and flowy and snoooooozzzzze. I appreciate C/B not going with the flow (pun intended).

And I don't think Vicky's thong was a malfunction. Both cheekies seem to be equally exposed. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

After watching all the soft, flowing FDs, I longed for a polka to break out. And I HATE polkas!

Honestly, I would pay to see someone polka to one of Weird Al's polka medleys...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 11/13/2021 at 6:33 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Oh God, 2010 Ice Dance. Davis/White did the much beloved Bollywood program. The Russians were Aboriginal, IIRC, and totally disrespected the culture.

Yup, you remember correctly. (Although, I wish we could all just forget about it :-P) I think the Russians just made it up and didn't work with someone who was familiar with the dance and/or culture. Always a bad idea when you do something like this.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Yup, you remember correctly. (Although, I wish we could all just forget about it :-P) I think the Russians just made it up and didn't work with someone who was familiar with the dance and/or culture. Always a bad idea when you do something like this.

For those who don't recall the Aboriginal Abomination:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/icy-reception-for-russian-aboriginal-dance

There's a link in the article to the actual routine.  The Russians did absolutely no research into Aboriginal dance, music or culture.  They used music from another culture with some digeridoo added and designed costumes that were a cartoon interpretation of aboriginal style.  They looked like The Flinstones on ice.

The article mentions an Australian ice dance pair who did an aboriginal program after spending many months studying the culture and consulting with multiple experts.  There's a link to that dance, too.  Difference is night and day.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

For those who don't recall the Aboriginal Abomination:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/icy-reception-for-russian-aboriginal-dance

There's a link in the article to the actual routine.  The Russians did absolutely no research into Aboriginal dance, music or culture.  They used music from another culture with some digeridoo added and designed costumes that were a cartoon interpretation of aboriginal style.  They looked like The Flinstones on ice.

The article mentions an Australian ice dance pair who did an aboriginal program after spending many months studying the culture and consulting with multiple experts.  There's a link to that dance, too.  Difference is night and day.

I’m still bitter they medalled with that appalling program. Belbin and Agosto should have had bronze, but I think there was no way the judges were going to have an all North American podium at the Olympics.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jeddah said:

We finally get to see Mariah Bell! I really hope she makes it to the Olympics.

She's not going to go far without a consistent 3/3. She seems to have regressed a bit over the past couple of years. A shame, because I love Bunny Girl. ☹️

There is an adorable video (that I can't seem to share) of a little skater. In some scenes she's jogging (maybe St Petersburg?)...so precious! In other scenes, wow...she's skating quite impressively for such a little one. A woman is singing, maybe Russian...I'm not sure. I just hope Eteri doesn't get a hold of her.

14 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Not a good day in France for US ladies. Starr Andrews withdrew and Mariah Bell fell on her combo and is in second to last after the short.

Mariah seems snakebit by the combo. As I noted above, it hasn't been consistent for two years. 😥

Am I the last person to know that Katia Gordeeva is married to one of my least favorite figure skaters ever: David Pelletier! What the heck? Also, what’s the pairs competition looking like for the Olympics? I know Russian pairs skaters seem ti be getting their shit back together…..

13 hours ago, honeywest said:

Kevin Aymoz should still be recuperating, not skating.

The French Federation is quite heartless sending him out there to skate. Did they not see what happened in Skate Canada(or was it America?)?

It's sad because I love his skating, but he is clearly in pain.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Am I the last person to know that Katia Gordeeva is married to one of my least favorite figure skaters ever: David Pelletier! What the heck? Also, what’s the pairs competition looking like for the Olympics? I know Russian pairs skaters seem ti be getting their shit back together…..

You didn't know? Seriously? She announced it on her SM ...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

There are some rumors online that Alysa Liu has switched coaches and is moving to Colorado Springs.

I usually think it's a bad sign when skaters coach hop... Nicole Bobek, Christopher Bowman, Sasha Cohen, Mirai Nagasu, etc.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1

@honeywest, I have anecdotally heard that her father is a bit of a holy terror when it comes to his daughter's career.    

I watched the skating on nbc today and I was astonished to hear Johnny and Tara offering their commentary in....respectful tones?  No sassy repartee, no talking over the whole program? No borderline catty comments?  

I'm not complaining, but what happened to cause this change?  Does anyone know?

• Love 2

I’ve noticed the change in J & T’s commentary this season, too. Such an improvement! I have a suspicion someone (NBC, I imagine) must have laid down the law and told them to stick to relevant skating comments and lay off the catty shit. It’s been a welcome change. Tara still talks too much, but hey, can’t expect miracles, right?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, honeywest said:

Alysa’s father reportedly fired Jeremy Abbott and Massimo Scali. 

Phil Hersh just reported on Twitter she has left Maasimo Scali and Jeremy Abbott and has moved to Colorado Springs to train with Christy Krall, Drew Meekins, and Victor Pfeifer. Crazy. 

On 11/19/2021 at 11:39 PM, ShellsandCheese said:

Also, what’s the pairs competition looking like for the Olympics? I know Russian pairs skaters seem ti be getting their shit back together…..

The pairs basically boils down to Sui/Han vs 3 Russian pairs (Tarasova/Morozov, Mishina/Galliamov, Boikova/Kozlovskii). Peng/Jin have a outside shot. James/Radford could be a dark horse if they can get themselves together. They were better this past weekend at Grand Prix France. They would’ve won silver but they didn’t get a lift up and botched a spin which cost them 13-14pts. 

Hawayek and Baker withdrew from NHK because Kaitlin was recovering from a concussion, but they're scheduled for Golden Spin of Zagreb in two weeks. I hope she really is healthy enough to skate and is not being pushed before she's ready. According to Figure Skating Universe, Bradie Tennell has withdrawn from Golden Spin.

31 minutes ago, honeywest said:

Hawayek and Baker withdrew from NHK because Kaitlin was recovering from a concussion, but they're scheduled for Golden Spin of Zagreb in two weeks. I hope she really is healthy enough to skate and is not being pushed before she's ready.

They are scheduled for Rostelecom this weekend. 

3 hours ago, healthnut said:

Phil Hersh just reported on Twitter she has left Maasimo Scali and Jeremy Abbott and has moved to Colorado Springs to train with Christy Krall, Drew Meekins, and Victor Pfeifer. Crazy. 

I don't get making a coaching change less than 3 months before the Olympics. I could see if a skater needed to leave an abusive environment or something like that but I'm not getting that this is the case here. Alysa seems like she has a parent who possibly has unreasonable or unrealistic expectations from the coaching teams he hires. 

I'm not suggesting that there aren't perfectly valid and necessary reasons to make a coaching change. Sometimes a coaching change is exactly what a skater/s needs to bring their skating to the next level. However, if a skater starts changing coaches every other year I feel like maybe the coaches aren't necessarily the problem. 

• Love 4