Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

NATHAN! Sigh, what the Olympics could have been.

Does anyone know if NBC or NBCSN is showing a recap this weekend? I had to miss all the live shows this week and would like to watch at least some of it. 

NBCSN is showing the free dance at noon EDT and the men's final at 5 EDT today.  Probably just the last flight or two as both programs are scheduled for 2 hours.

Edited by Omeletsmom
Forgot to say which day. And converted the time the wrong way (I'm in CDT)
  • Love 1

I adore Hawayek and Baker. Adore. Great basic skating skills, his soft knees are exquisite, they actually match their lines, and they skate to every beat of the music- often lyrical style programs end up being skated over the music instead. Thrilled that they got that moment of redemption after yesterday's fall.

ETA: Should've scored higher. The unfortunate perils of skating early.

47 minutes ago, fan94 said:

@herbz If there's a theme for the FD, and if they pick "romantic"... That's sibling teams done for. Not a fan at all.

And the entertainment score is bogus. The Judges press "buttons" like "Yes", "no" and "partly". So we already know who gets what to begin with. 

Just think the original CD+OD+FD was great. Why'd they change? Easier to call bs for three separate ones? Too expensive after feds spend all money on their teams to win?

The free dances are being themed!? Was this in the meeting? Gosh I hope not, how's that supposed to encourage originality and variety? 

I believe the call to scrap compulsories was driven by TV networks. The SD format does work better for casual Olympic audiences but the difficulty of translating different rhythms and following precise edge patterns does not need to be watered down any more than it already has been. 

Edited by herbz
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, Enero said:

I haven’t watched yet, but what the heck happened to Boyang? Will China even have a spot next year? I have a soft spot for him and was hoping he’d pull out the win.

They’ll have one spot.

Boyang Jin CHN 4Lz(fall), 2S, 3A1/2Lo3S, 4T(ur?fall), 4T(fall), 3A, 3Lz2T(fall), 3F(fall) - oh. my. gosh. TES 63.34, PCS 73.22, -9.00, FS 127.56, TOTAL 223.41 into 16th - China with one spot for next year's Worlds

Edited by healthnut
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, healthnut said:

They’ll have one spot.

Boyang Jin CHN 4Lz(fall), 2S, 3A1/2Lo3S, 4T(ur?fall), 4T(fall), 3A, 3Lz2T(fall), 3F(fall) - oh. my. gosh. TES 63.34, PCS 73.22, -9.00, FS 127.56, TOTAL 223.41 into 16th - China with one spot for next year's Worlds

Thanks for the breakdown of what happened. Poor kid. 

He still has a ways to go before he’ll be even close to that of Hanyu/Fernández/Chan bring in artistry, but he’s outstanding technically. His 4Lutz is the best in the world IMO. Also, he seems like such a sweet kid. 

I hope he’s able to comeback strong next year. As stated upthread, I think exhaustion might’ve reared it’s ugly head as it did with a lot of skaters at this event. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

The FD has been really good so far.  Loved those shoot the duck twizzles from Stepanov/Bukin...wow! Just wish they'd used a nonvocal version of Liebestraum. Good luck, C/L!!!!

Uh...edited to mention the atrocious camera work.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Nathan won?!?!

Yup!! He pulled yet another Mao Asada.

Enero, after the short program I think Boyang said that he hadn't been training enough after the Olympics. Just like last night with the last group of ladies, the crowd really tried to encourage and will him on.

As for Shoma, who has had both boot and injury issues this week, he told the Japanese press that his ankle actually felt better today than yesterday. Which, hell. I hope he gets to take a proper break after his ice shows next weekend.

Perkie, Nathan aside the last group of men was that painful to watch. So. Many. Falls.

Vincent tweeted that he has a back injury but is disappointed in himself regardless for not successfully pushing through in the free like he did with the short.

• Love 4

I was teary before the halfway mark with C/L. Bit of a gift of a score, and the judges don't have much room left for the top 3 unless they're going to give out perfect scores, but this once I don't care. What a career they've had. Now give us some amazing show programs! 

Edited by herbz
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And bring on the judge's scoregasm for Papadakis and Cizeron. 

You know, never mind all the arguments about artistry and versatility, I wouldn't quibble with the constant WR breaking if they genuinely were just that much better technically than everyone else. But until they dance in closer holds, Gabriella straightens her free leg and Guillaume stops breaking at the waist (his spread eagles drive me absolutely nuts, sure he gets low but he doesn't tuck his seat under properly and it's not an aesthetic choice, it's just incorrect technique), I can't get behind it. It's lovely and all, but where's the incentive to fix these issues or branch out in style if the judges are going to give you near-perfect scores every time? 

Edited by herbz
  • Love 10

Seriously. I was bored. Maybe it's repetition of seeing the Moonlight Sonata routine for two GP events, the Grand Prix Final, Euros, Olympics and now World's....I still don't get how that is scored higher than Virtue and Moir's. 

Okay, time for Madison Hubbell's sneering sex faces....

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Seriously. I was bored. Maybe it's repetition of seeing the Moonlight Sonata routine for two GP events, the Grand Prix Final, Euros, Olympics and now World's....I still don't get how that is scored higher than Virtue and Moir's. 

Okay, time for Madison Hubbell's sneering sex faces....

It shouldn't be scored higher, especially not with their respective Olympic performances, and I'll leave it there. 

If H/D can't pull it off now, I'm not sure they ever will. 

• Love 2

I'm sure this is redemption for Zach Donahue, and maybe in his mind, this silver outranks the Shib's bronze's at the Olympics. But, the Shib's won a world silver in a year that Virtue and Moir didn't participate in the WC's, too. Just saying, dude. 

I hope that next year, they tone down the sex skating. Just a bit. I know that they think that this is their wheelhouse, so I'm sure that we'll get more. Just, I dunno....don't make it so easy to root against you. Soften the douchetastic attitude, maybe? I don't like being disappointed when a US skater/skaters win a medal. 

Man, Cappellini and Lanotte missed the bronze by THISMUCH. 

Questions for next year: Will the Shib's continue? Will Chock and Bates? Who will Hawayak and Baker choose to coach them? They're in Michigan now, so either Zoueva or Shpilband are both in that area and they wouldn't have to pick up and move.  Will Papadakis and Cizeron be given perfect scores no matter what they do? 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

Good on Hubbell and Donohue for finally delivering at a world championship. I appreciate the power in their skating and movement, though I would like to see it in a non-sexyfaces program. Both them and Papadakis and Cizeron, I would like to see branch out artistically next season. I wonder if they are as sick of those programs as we are at this point? ?

Really, everyone in the top 2 groups did well today. It was great to watch a competition that wasn’t just who makes the fewest mistakes ends up on the podium.

• Love 1

I just had a funny thought. Wouldn't it be great to see the top two WC teams having to skate to bouncy folk music in the future? I mean, to go from all their face clutching drama to wearing dirndles & lederhosen, skating to some old European country tunes--that would really challenge these two teams (in addition to amusing me).

At least Weaver/Poje are on the podium.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

HOLY CRAP. I hope someone keeps an eye out to make sure that Eteri doesn't feed Zagitova to her other skaters. 

As if Eteri would let her other skaters eat!

Glad to see Nathan win, but I still have sad "what could have been" Olympics feels.

I can't stand Hubble/Donohue and their entitled demeanor and overwrought sex skating.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just had a funny thought. Wouldn't it be great to see the top two WC teams having to skate to bouncy folk music in the future? I mean, to go from all their face clutching drama to wearing dirndles & lederhosen, skating to some old European country tunes--that would really challenge these two teams (in addition to amusing me).

Yankee Polka for SD pattern 2020/21, please and thank you. Was last used in 2012 and gave us D/W's Giselle and V/M's The Waltz Goes On. 

* actually I think they would both struggle to master that pattern more than any of the others except maybe Golden Waltz. Fast footwork is not the forte of either. Would be a test.  

Edited by herbz
  • Love 5

Despite the very generous GOE for the various Italian competitors, they in the end had to settle for two small medals.  Anna and Luca are wonderful, and I'll miss them, but I'm thrilled for Kaitlyn and Andrew, who've had a rough few years.

Also, it looks like the judges are finally ready to let Piper and Paul into the top tier of ice dance teams.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Enero said:

Javi, Hanyu and even Chan looks to have been missed here. If any of these guys had showed and were even halfway skating to their talent, they would’ve easily won based on what I’m hearing about these performances.  

Not even close.  Hanyu is the only one whose PB exceeds Chen's 321.4 points according to wikipedia.  Chan's PB is 295.27 and Javi's is 314.93.  Even Yuzu has to do better than his Olympics performance (his SB, but to be fair, he had a very short season due to injury) to win.  Browsing his records, he's only exceeded 321.4 for a total of 3 times in his career, so I think that he'd have to do better than halfway to win!  Now medaling is another story.  Uno won silver with 273.77 points.  

Great for Bychenko. He came in 7th in both the short and the long and end up 4th place overall due to everyone else being so inconsistent. Is this one of the events where they give the pewter medal? Poor Jin and poor Vincent.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

24 minutes ago, herbz said:

Yankee Polka for SD pattern 2020/21, please and thank you. Was last used in 2012 and gave us D/W's Giselle and V/M's The Waltz Goes On. 

* actually I think they would both struggle to master that pattern more than any of the others except maybe Golden Waltz. Fast footwork is not the forte of either. Would be a test.  

I support this as well! Rather than having multiple teams skating to the usual standards (ahem... Moulin Rouge), perhaps we could get them skating to the long-neglected oeuvre of "Weird Al" Yankovic. He has so many polka parodies that there would be a lot to choose from :).

Also, I can't help but think that this could lead to the issue seen The Cutting Edge, when the favored team at Nationals got tangled in the guy's lederhosen. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, sweeks said:

I support this as well! Rather than having multiple teams skating to the usual standards (ahem... Moulin Rouge), perhaps we could get them skating to the long-neglected oeuvre of "Weird Al" Yankovic. He has so many polka parodies that there would be a lot to choose from :).

Also, I can't help but think that this could lead to the issue seen The Cutting Edge, when the favored team at Nationals got tangled in the guy's lederhosen. 

Love Weird Al and his polka tunes.  Oh skate gods...by season 2020, we're gonna need some humor-on-ice.  Bring on those energetic polkas!

Forgot to ask: are Hawayek/Baker also coached by Camerlengo?  Whenever I see a beautiful program, the skaters always end up in the K&C with him by their side.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

I hate to say this, because Camerlengo is a genius and his choreography is nuanced, musical, intricate and showcases good skating skills, everything ice dance should be, but Kaitlin and Jean Luc need to make a coaching change for political reasons if nothing else. Their PCS were held back big time here. 

Canton and Marina is probably their best bet. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, sweeks said:

I salute you for working in references to both Weird Al and the Cutting Edge in a single post!

(toe pick!)

• Love 5

The voiceover at the beginning of their program. 

That was a gorgeous skate to end their career.

That was a really good FD competition really. Everyone gave their best. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, sweeks said:

I still remember the commentator's faintly horrified tones: "Just terrible. She stepped into the spin, then I'm not sure... ...but it looked like she got caught in his lederhosen."

• Love 7
8 hours ago, herbz said:

The free dances are being themed!? Was this in the meeting? Gosh I hope not, how's that supposed to encourage originality and variety? 

"Free Dance Entertainment bonus - program meets the guidelines of the FD for the season.
for next season its colorful/enjoyable. majority + ref required - goes between +1,0,-1;"

--From another forum.

Not even mentioning how subjective that is.

Edited by fan94
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I still remember the commentator's faintly horrified tones: "Just terrible. She stepped into the spin, then I'm not sure... ...but it looked like she got caught in his lederhosen."

I can imagine Tanith White saying this verbatim.

• Love 6

Good for Nathan! I loved that he not only didn't tone down his program, but actually added an extra quad. Yes, everyone else splatted, but it was still a pretty definitive win. That was hard to watch, though, overall. Ryan Bradley sounded aghast. 

I hope that next year, they tone down the sex skating. Just a bit. I know that they think that this is their wheelhouse, so I'm sure that we'll get more. Just, I dunno....don't make it so easy to root against you. Soften the douchetastic attitude, maybe? I don't like being disappointed when a US skater/skaters win a medal. 

It's not pleasant to watch, but I can't blame them for not changing something that's being rewarded. Same as there seems to be no incentive for P/C to improve any of their technique.

I feel bad for Zach's girlfriend--to me, just watching his affect and body language with Madison after their skates, it seems like he's clearly in love with her. (Yes, I know they dated and broke up though I have no other details or information about that.) I don't necessarily see it going the other way, but he just gazes at her with such adoration. Yeeps.

I'm glad that Chock and Bates were able to have a clean skate to cap off that program. It was clear that they weren't thrilled with the way it was scored, though (and Tanith basically said it was low). I wonder if it will factor into their decision of whether or not to keep going. The international judges seem to be sending them a pretty consistent message that they're not a team in true contention for the podium in a full field. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, fan94 said:

"Free Dance Entertainment bonus - program meets the guidelines of the FD for the season.
for next season its colorful/enjoyable. majority + ref required - goes between +1,0,-1;"

--From another forum.

Not even mentioning how subjective that is.

Well, that should at least eliminate some of the angsty-sex-on-ice that has been the forte of some of the top teams the last few years.  Unless they go for acting out the orgasm, that would at least satisfy the enjoyable part and colorful would be the blushes from everyone watching it. And maybe it will push some of those who have been resting on lyrical/dreamy laurels out of their comfort zones. But, maybe they just want the Russian ice dancers to take on the Candyman program from the pairs skaters.

Damn fine job by Nathan Chen although I too couldn't help but wonder what could've been in Pyeongchang.  He seriously beat Shoma by 48 pts.  Feel bad for Vincent and Jin Boyang.  

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 9
47 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

It's not pleasant to watch, but I can't blame them for not changing something that's being rewarded. Same as there seems to be no incentive for P/C to improve any of their technique.

I feel bad for Zach's girlfriend--to me, just watching his affect and body language with Madison after their skates, it seems like he's clearly in love with her. (Yes, I know they dated and broke up though I have no other details or information about that.) I don't necessarily see it going the other way, but he just gazes at her with such adoration. Yeeps.

They better watch out, since the V/M secret baby bloggers might be in search of a new couple. However, since H/D seem to want to be the next V/M (complete with sex faces, though I'd argue that H/D's seem even more contrived), perhaps they wouldn't mind so much. 

• Love 2

Anyway, that was an awful men's competition. Not at all representative of the men's field the world loves, so I'm just forgetting about it and waiting for the next season. Congrats to Nathan, who undoubtedly won, but there's something to be said about how much he sacrifices on the PCS side of things just to pump those jumps out. Those scores were way, way inflated. As was Shoma's TES (but then that always is).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MaKaM said:

Well, that should at least eliminate some of the angsty-sex-on-ice that has been the forte of some of the top teams the last few years.  Unless they go for acting out the orgasm, that would at least satisfy the enjoyable part and colorful would be the blushes from everyone watching it. And maybe it will push some of those who have been resting on lyrical/dreamy laurels out of their comfort zones. But, maybe they just want the Russian ice dancers to take on the Candyman program from the pairs skaters.

Colorful and Enjoyable. Jeeze. Too bad Cappellini and Lanotte retired. This is them in a nut shell.  Madison Chock already has the "colorful" down pat with her short dance dress.  And the Shib's routines are generally enjoyable. 

Hubbell and Donahue are screwed. Her smiles look like sneers. Heh. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

• Love 3

Finally got to sit down and watch the men's final. DAMN, was that last flight painful! Poor Jin! I'm glad Chen was able to skate a good program and not win by virtue of being the best of the worst.

They really need to re-think holding worlds in the same year as the Olympics.  It just seems like too much.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I'm glad that Chock and Bates were able to have a clean skate to cap off that program. It was clear that they weren't thrilled with the way it was scored, though (and Tanith basically said it was low). I wonder if it will factor into their decision of whether or not to keep going. The international judges seem to be sending them a pretty consistent message that they're not a team in true contention for the podium in a full field. 

While watching Chock/Bates skate their FD today, I was wondering what would've been if Evan had stayed with Emily.  It's been a while but I seem to recall their skating together looked so much better. They were closer in height and she was as good a skater as he.  Or am I totally crazy for thinking this?

@ChicksDigScars: Funny!  You're right.  Hubbell's smiles do look like sneers.  And sweeks is right about the V/M baby bloggers possibly glomming onto H/D (after all--that steamy, hot skating must mean something's going on, right?)  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

Finally got to sit down and watch the men's final. DAMN, was that last flight painful! Poor Jin! I'm glad Chen was able to skate a good program and not win by virtue of being the best of the worst.

They really need to re-think holding worlds in the same year as the Olympics.  It just seems like too much.

Or at least give them more than 4 weeks in between. If they push Worlds out by a month or two, it gives everyone a chance to recover. Most of the top elite skaters didn’t even compete due to injuries and fatigue. It’s an unreasonable expectation to have everyone competing a mere 4 weeks after the Olympics. I think the splat-fest in the Men’s and Women’s competition was a result of that. Even if one is in peak athletic condition, the body can only take so much before it gives out on you. 

I could tell Shoma was injured from his SP and it seems like so many others were skating injured or fatigued as well. Nathan had to rise to the occasion because he had no choice, it was either medal at Worlds or hang up his skates...true redemption story. Even he wasn’t at his best and had a few sloppy landings. But it would have been nice to see a competition with everyone at their utmost best, not damaged from the rigors of the Olympics. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Spiderella2 said:

I could tell Shoma was injured from his SP and it seems like so many others were skating injured or fatigued as well. Nathan had to rise to the occasion because he had no choice, it was either medal at Worlds or hang up his skates...true redemption story. Even he wasn’t at his best and had a few sloppy landings. But it would have been nice to see a competition with everyone at their utmost best, not damaged from the rigors of the Olympics. 

You could watch 2017W again to see them all at their best! And 2019W, I bet! :)

• Love 1

I dont think the secret baby blogger will glom into H/D. The whole premise of the blog is that V/M are special because they secretly have three children in the basement. So they truly believe that there is no "performance" in V/M's dancing, it's how they actually are, so much so that Tessa has apparently not heard of birth control as she trained as an elite athlete and popped out three babies in 7 years. I think the blog will transition into a P/C hate blog. Hell, Meryl and Charlie are still the subject of hate-posts and they've been retired for years.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think the blog will transition into a P/C hate blog. Hell, Meryl and Charlie are still the subject of hate-posts and they've been retired for years.

Good grief! There sure are some sad people on this planet.

• Love 9

Tessa must REALLY be other worldly. Three babies in seven years and not an ounce of fat on her.  And they only took two years off. That would explain ONE pregnancy, maybe (yes, I'm kidding). They never missed a season before their first two year retirement. 

Madison mentioned mimicking Tessa and Scott as she came off the ice. I guess the faux romance is part of that. Although, Hubbell and Donahue are more evenly matched, height wise. I don't see any cunniliftus happening there. Madison is just too tall. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, ombelico said:

I still can't get over the perfection of the term "cunniliftus." That is definitely going to be one of the main takeaways from this season for me!

The term has actually been around for several years now.  It's been a favorite word here dating back to the TWOP days.

On 3/25/2018 at 8:05 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Colorful and Enjoyable.

But who gets to decide what's colorful/enjoyable? The judges? Because that won't be any different than the usual marking. Also, is there a criterion for this?

Right now I'm imagining multiple programs in the vein of Hawayek/Baker's Austin Powers. 

• Love 2