Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

It’ll be interesting to see what passes. I’m not a fan of most of those proposals.

However, I do feel strongly that they should let the men wear tights if they want to!

Hoo boy...I sure don't want to see tights on the men.  I remember when Brian Boitano first wore tights (maybe at his first pro competition?).  It was not a pretty sight, IMO.  A lot of male skaters are well muscled and have big rear ends like Brian.  Maybe the thin men could get away with it. I wouldn't mind women wearing tights, especially pairs skaters.  Some of those lifts, where their legs are far apart, would look better if they wore tights (remember Natalia M in 1992 for her LP? she wore pale lavender tights that matched her dress).

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

A lot of male skaters are well muscled and have big rear ends like Brian.

And this is why I think tights are EXCELLENT choices for male skaters.

• Love 8

I’m not a fan of most of those proposals either.

Some of the rules suggested by the Netherlands are a little head scratching. 

Do not want to see tights on men at all. I don’t think it will be very pleasing to the eye and will be more distracting than anything. 

Japan suggests the 10% bonus for only one jumping pass in the short and three in the long, but wants to add bonus for executing “cleanly” (6) different types of triples or quads is interesting. The latter suggestion could potentially fill the point gap left by the bonus points lost if they reduce the number of jumping passes that can receive the bonus in the second half. Though honestly I’d be surprised if both of these pass for that very reason. 

Did the U.S. not propose any changes?

I think Mirai isn't someone I'd like to know personally. But that's fine, I only care about most of these people as athletes anyway.

(And wow, they all lack dance-ability for skaters. At least Adam has flair, and Tonya was committing.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Oh wow, apparently Evgenia is leaving Eteri.

I am surprised by that, but glad. I want her to have a long, healthy career ahead of her, and leaving Eteri is probably the best way for that to happen.

• Love 6
(edited)

I will be shocked if the Russian Federation will allow Evgenia to go to TCC, especially with the success she’s achieved under a Russian coach while training in Russia.

However, if she does go to TCC the rumors of her and Hanyu being an item will reach a fever pitch. Some will be certain they are together. Sigh. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SeanC said:

I almost don't care who this child hires as her future coach.  As long as she leaves that cold creature, who couldn't muster up a smile that one of her students had just won the O gold meal, that's all I care about.  Hope she makes the correct choice in a new coach (and hope it's Brian--such a kind, good man).  

• Love 2

I’m betting Eteri already knew this was coming before she went on vacation. 

Word is Evgenia will make an announcement in a couple days. So we’ll know soon who her new coach will be.

5 hours ago, Enero said:

However, if she does go to TCC the rumors of her and Hanyu being an item will reach a fever pitch. Some will be certain they are together. Sigh. 

This is true for anyone who trains with anyone anyway. Yuzuru and Javier were also dating, apparently, even though Javier was dating Miki Ando. On the down low, I presume.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, displayname said:

This is true for anyone who trains with anyone anyway. Yuzuru and Javier were also dating, apparently, even though Javier was dating Miki Ando. On the down low, I presume.

Maybe. Hanyu and Evgenia already appear to be close. Hence the rumors. If she was training with Rafael, I don’t think people would conclude that her and Nathan are an item as I don’t believe she is seen to be as close to him as she is to Hanyu.

That said, I heard that fans, at one point, got so persistent about there being a Javi/Hanyu romance  in their posts on Javi’s social media page, can’t remember if it was Twitter or Instagram, that he had to disable the comments section. SMH. 

If Evgenia is going to TCC this could potentially explain why she apparently deleted all the pics she had of and with Hanyu on her Instagram. Perhaps she wanted to head off any relationship rumors that may start with her moving to Orser. 

Btw, Javi was very open about his relationship with Miki. They even did an interview with TSL and spoke quite a bit about their romance. 

Edited by Enero
10 hours ago, SeanC said:

And International Figure Skating is reporting that there is speculation she'll move to Orser's stable (although speculation is only speculation).

The post-Olympic shuffling is well under way.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:40 PM, herbz said:

Such a waste. She was a especially gorgeous dancer. 

Hawayek and Baker have the same kind of lightness and fluidity to their work and are in a similar position in their country’s ranking. I want them to succeed. 

Knee deep in the middle of exams (I'm close to graduating!), so I've been avoiding coming on here!  But I wanted to comment, while I think P/I were really wonderful skaters, I think what hurt them was a lack of personality on the ice. Both Krylova and Marie-France couldn't sell them. As dancers, they relied very heavily on the choreography, but never really made it their own. They got stuck with that 'Baby VM' moniker and never really passed it. On skill alone, P/I should have been washing the floor with G/P, but the latter do everything to set themselves apart. It's dance and while I would love if skill always won, that's not true.

H/B have the skill, but they also have a dynamism that should help them out. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Enero said:

I heard that fans, at one point, got so persistent about there being a Javi/Hanyu romance  in their posts on Javi’s social media page, can’t remember if it was Twitter or Instagram, that he had to disable the comments section. SMH. 

From what I heard, late last year Javi posted a photo of himself on Instagram with his new girlfriend (she’s from Spain, and not a skater - I think they've been together since last summer or so, and she was in PC to watch him compete). Apparently, there were indeed some people asking, “What about Yuzu?” - and others were accusing him of cheating on Miki (since he never stated that they broke up). None of this is my business - I just hope everyone is happy and no one was hurt. Miki’s daughter seemed fond of Javi. 

I didn’t follow skating over the last quad - or sports in general, really - as I’ve been trying to get a handle on my anxiety. But I can’t resist the Olympics, so it really only was this February that I realized a Spaniard had won Worlds back-to-back (YASSSSS!), and that 9/11 was an acceptable theme for a program (WTF?). Never change your bonkers ways, figure skating. Never change. 

Another thing I missed while I was "gone": the rise of the Cult of Hanyu. I find it frightening, but fascinating. Yuzu is a phenomenal skater, for sure, and he’s pretty, but for "fanyus," it seems to go way beyond that. Were Yuri!!! On Ice fans inspired to follow the real thing (and thus treat the real athletes like anime characters)? Did Takahashi inspire similar fervor? (I would have assumed he’d have had the bigger following because his programs and looks screamed “sexy.”) Do Yuzu's looks and style reflect the current ideal of Japanese idol culture? It also sounds like Yuzu can’t have a significant other, even if he wanted to (apparently, this is the case with most idols). Honestly, I wonder if he'll ever be able to move back to Japan.

And it seems in recent years Javi stopped mentioning Yuzu on his social media and started downplaying his relationship with him in interviews, clearly because of the STANyus. Misha Ge also had to tweet a reminder that he isn’t “Mr. Pooh’s” secretary. And now Janny has been deleting her posts with Yuzu …

I'd like to think most fanyus - and skating fans in general - are aware of boundaries, but the reality is that there are some who are not. So I definitely understand why Yuzu doesn’t have social media (at least publicly) - but his friends, unfortunately, have to put up with the bullshit. If Janny’s going to Toronto, she’s going to need a full-time social media manager.

80j9BP1.gif

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, stet said:

I'd like to think most fanyus - and skating fans in general - are aware of boundaries, but the reality is that there are some who are not.

You haven't met Chen fans. 

Anyway, FS fans are crazy. They are. Not all, but a lot. Med deleting posts probably wasn't just "fanyus", but even Russian supporters of Zag, or other kinds of fans, who think she's trying to get to Yuzuru for his fame. FS is more reality TV like than any other sport, so of course there's this. Why do you think TSL is so popular? XD

Twitter is interesting though. If you know how to navigate, you'll only ever follow people who just think skater X is attractive or fun and nothing more. But go deeper a little and...

Edited by displayname
(edited)
6 hours ago, stet said:

Another thing I missed while I was "gone": the rise of the Cult of Hanyu. I find it frightening, but fascinating. Yuzu is a phenomenal skater, for sure, and he’s pretty, but for "fanyus," it seems to go way beyond that. Were Yuri!!! On Ice fans inspired to follow the real thing (and thus treat the real athletes like anime characters)? Did Takahashi inspire similar fervor? (I would have assumed he’d have had the bigger following because his programs and looks screamed “sexy.”) Do Yuzu's looks and style reflect the current ideal of Japanese idol culture? It also sounds like Yuzu can’t have a significant other, even if he wanted to (apparently, this is the case with most idols). Honestly, I wonder if he'll ever be able to move back to Japan.

It’s seems as if a great many of Hanyu’s most loyal fans are VERY mature women (i.e. at least 15-20 years his senior), considering the members of his fan club who look old enough to be his mother, those seen attending his competions on a regular basis and who has shown up to the various Hanyu centered ice shows, parades and museum exhibitions in Japan. Don’t know if he is considered the ideal man, looks wise, in Japan, amongst the men and women in his age group.

I can’t imagine him not moving back to Japan at some point. I don’t think he’s made a life in Toronto outside of skating and he really does seem to love his home town - Sendai and the country of Japan. 

52 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I could never handle fame of this variety as well as Hanyu has. Anytime I would be spotted/identified in public I'd be like: 

small running.gif

I think he manages by pretty much living the life of a hermit. If he’s not doing press or skating it’s rare that he’s seen out and about even when in Toronto, unless he’s gotten really good at going incognito, which is possible. 

Like you though, I could not live and compete with that type of fame. It’s just too much.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
On 5/4/2018 at 2:17 PM, SeanC said:

Aww, gee. I goofed up and immediately thought this was Alina (who I want to leave Eteri so badly, after that cold reaction to Alina's gold medal at the O's). Well, Evgenia needs a break from Cruella too.  Guess wishful thinking caught up with me.

• Love 4

On Evgenia changing coaches, I hope this means her jump technique might improve. Might she become less reliant on the arm over the head? I know it’s pointless to wonder about—the judges still give her crazy high score on the regular. How likely is it, at this point, that she can change her jump technique? Her double axles are hard to watch.

(edited)

Apparently Evgenia’s split from Eteri has quickly turned sour. Eteri has supposedly done an interview with Russian TV stating that she had no idea that Evgenia was leaving her, that Evgenia refused to respond to several texts she recently sent her and even provided screenshots of those texts as proof and claims that at the Olympics Evgenia expressed frustration over Eteri not being able to keep Alina in juniors for another year, which would’ve likely guaranteed Evgenia the OGM. SMH.

It is also being said that Eteri feels as if Brian personally challenged her with his recent comments about 13 year old girls doing quads. 

Needless to say this is about to get ugly. 

I do think this confirms that Evgenia is indeed leaving Eteri and very likely going to Brian. 

I do wonder though how this will impact her scoring, specifically in Russia. Will she continue to be a contender there (ie get the scoring that will send her to the big competitions)  with so many talents coming up behind her and with what appears to be turning into an ugly split with Eteri?

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Enero said:

It is also being said that Eteri feels as if Brian personally challenged her with his recent comments about 13 year old girls doing quads. 

I can't wait for Coach Wars 2019: Brian vs. Eteri.

• Love 6
(edited)

If this split finishes Eteri, Med is a hero to me. Don't like her skating, never have, never will, and hope this ugliness had never happened, but if she's playing her cards like this, then she'll be a hero for ending Eteri's career. I CANNOT get behind her methods. Don't care how petty this is.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, displayname said:

If this split finishes Eteri, Med is a hero to me. Don't like her skating, never have, never will, and hope this ugliness had never happened, but if she's playing her cards like this, then she'll be a hero for ending Eteri's career. I CANNOT get behind her methods. Don't care how petty this is.

From what I understand skaters with Evgenia’s talent are a dime a dozen in Eteri’s camp and she also has the “winning” reputation to back her up in Russia. So despite the ugliness that has apparently ensued with this situation I doubt it will put an end to Eteri. 

I’m not a fan of Evgenia’s, but I’m most concerned about her. Hopefully she can rise above the BS and find success (where ever that may be) in spite of what’s happening with Eteri.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, displayname said:

Unfortunately, it will not be, it turns out, according to Russian posters on other forums. Eteri played the game of slandering Med, and it's painted Med in a bad light with the public.

(edited)

According to Russian posters, Eteri's daughter Diana unfollowed Evgenia on Instagram. Eteri's VK group also started to delete questions about Zhenya, ban people for their questions, etc. This was all a bit before the news about Evgenia possibly leaving broke out. 

So however she tries to spin this, Eteri did not find out about this from the Media just on Friday. 

Also, a 44-year-old woman going to the media with screenshots of her conversation (or lack thereof) with an 18-year-old is so incredibly childish. I just cannot. 

Edited by Vera
  • Love 4
(edited)

Good for her. As previously stated, I’ve never been a fan of Evgenia, but I am very interested in how she will evolve under Orser. 

Btw, I loved her statement, very classy and mature, which is more than what can be said about Eteri, who, ironically enough, has behaved like a petulant teenager over this split. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 4

Polina Tsurskaya, another senior, has also left Eteri. I think this now makes Alina the oldest competitor in that group and the only senior. 

• Love 2
Just now, HartofDixie said:

Chock and Bates are going to Montreal.

Marie-France right now:

Ironically, she's got a monopoly on the American teams (with the Shibs sitting out the next season, and quite possibly more than that going forward), but neither of the top Canadian teams now that Scott and Tessa are done.

In other news, Orser speaks!

In his Seoul meeting with Medvedeva and her mother, Orser said he concentrated on moving forward rather than dwelling on the situation the skater had been in. The two of them have exchanged several text messages a day since then.

"The main thing is she needs to have a voice in her own skating," Orser said. "We have been discussing music, what direction we want to go -- she has never had that luxury before. She told me it was, 'This is what you're skating to. This is the order of your spins, these are your spin positions.'''

Medvedeva impressed upon Orser that she remains passionate about skating. She told him her goal is to win the Olympics.

"I said, 'Let's keep that in mind, but it doesn't mean you have to win every world championship on the way.' I think it is an important message for everyone to know that is what her goal is, and that is what we are going to aim for."

Orser, the 1984 and 1988 Olympic silver medalist, said until the meeting in Korea he had exchanged no more than passing "hellos" and head nods with Medvedeva.

"What I have seen in her is that she is a fierce competitor, very reliable and, like Yuna, very headstrong," Orser said.

Medvedeva had been unbeaten from November 2015 until losing to Zagitova at the 2018 European Championships, the former's first competition after missing several weeks of training because of the broken foot.

"I told her the first thing she needs to do is to get onto a program where she gets her body healthy,'' Orser said. "So if she gets here and she's not on ice for a couple weeks, that's fine.'''

Orser said Medvedeva would work with him, Wilson and choreographer David Wilson, who has done Olympic gold-medal programs for Kim and Hanyu and world title-winning programs for Fernández.

"She is going to reinvent herself," Orser said of Medvedeva. "Even though she has some amazing titles, I feel they are the tip of the iceberg, that there is so much more she can do."

Will one of them be fixing the "flutz" -- the wrong edge takeoff on Medvedeva's triple lutz -- that has been a subject of controversy, since judges rarely call her on it?

"I'm going to do my best," Orser said, with a laugh. "I have been looking at it already. I'm not going try to disguise it or put it in a corner.

"That's not going to be an easy one, but I think she's open to this. She's open to the change."

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I'm meh on Med moving to Brian as she is between a rock and a hard place. Her PCS is maxed out and will likely tank as the new "favorite" comes onto the scene in the next few years and her technique isn't anything special. Unless she can pull a Kohei Uchimura and maintain a high degree of precision and execution that would make the judges look really stupid not to reward, I can't see her staying in the upper echelons. Figure skating is fickle and if Yuna Kim couldn't come back and win a second OGM versus a very subpar opponent then I don't see how Med could possibly beat one of the future Eteri-bots with a quad or seven. 

I'm doubtful of how much help Orser can provide for her. Her technique looks pretty unfixable at this point. But the reason she's going, apart from wanting to maintain a semblance of longevity, is probably because of the recent proposals from ISU bolstering quality. If she manages to fix her jumps, she will have that by a mile over all Eteri girls. Even the quadster(s), whose quads remain as unconvincing and under-rotated-but-still-ratified-and-praised as ever.

• Love 1
(edited)

^ I agree. If some of the rule changes come through Evgenia may have a fighting chance at staying on top and who knows maybe she’ll be another Aliona, winning an OGM when most thought it was impossible. 

I’m glad Brian is attempting to manage her (and fans) expectations by stating that getting to another OGM may not include winning multiple World Championships. It’s no secret that it usually takes a couple of seasons to really see his impact on his top students. I suspect the same will happen with Evgenia. 

With regards to the up and coming tweens, people are putting a lot of stock in these kids thinking they will be the next to top the podium and thus will push out the “old” ladies i.e. Evgenia, Katelyn etc. However, ice is very slippery. A lot can happen in a year or two, the puberty monster, illness, injury etc. Over the past few years, several Russian ladies have been touted as being the next big thing only to end up being a blip before disappearing or falter once on the big stage that is Seniors competition. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Figure skating is fickle and if Yuna Kim couldn't come back and win a second OGM versus a very subpar opponent then I don't see how Med could possibly beat one of the future Eteri-bots with a quad or seven. 

Well, Kim would've won if the Olympics hadn't been in Russia (and if Sotnikova had been scored even remotely correctly), but I know what you mean.

This whole situation is making me a Med fan.  Good for her for wanting to take ownership of her own skating!  Also, free Zag!

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, Kim would've won if the Olympics hadn't been in Russia (and if Sotnikova had been scored even remotely correctly), but I know what you mean.

IDK what y'all are talking about. Yuna won 2014, and Mao won 2018.

• Love 6