Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/6/2018 at 4:32 PM, SeanC said:

I can't wait for Coach Wars 2019: Brian vs. Eteri.

TEAM ORSER. I welcome anyone with the balls to challenge the teeny bopper quad factory that Eteri is running right now. 

Aside from improving her jumping technique, can he also shit can the tights-over-skate boots and the gloves that match the dress? Okay, thanks. 

Chock and Bates to Montreal. With the Shibs sitting out next year (at least), the three top U.S. teams are in Montreal. Playing second, third and fourth fiddle to Papadakis and Cizeron. I'm not sure I care for that very much. I don't see how this will benefit C/B. It almost feels desperate. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

TEAM ORSER. I welcome anyone with the balls to challenge the teeny bopper quad factory that Eteri is running right now. 

Aside from improving her jumping technique, can he also shit can the tights-over-skate boots and the gloves that match the dress? Okay, thanks. 

Chock and Bates to Montreal. With the Shibs sitting out next year (at least), the three top U.S. teams are in Montreal. Playing second, third and fourth fiddle to Papadakis and Cizeron. I'm not sure I care for that very much. I don't see how this will benefit C/B. It almost feels desperate. 

Go Team Orser!!  This is going to be interesting to see if EM is transformed by her new coaching team.

Re: Chock & Bates?  IMO they first need to get Evan to quit bending at the waist (everyone knows he's a lot taller than his partner so he just needs to show off his good posture).  Then, do something about Chock's wimpy hair that smacks around her head while skating.  I give them a year in Montreal.  

19 hours ago, Darknight said:

Why did Alina post a picture of her and Eteri? Please does anyone know how to read Russian?

Google translates the caption as "At the inauguration." So I guess they attended Putin's inauguration ceremony.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:40 AM, Enero said:

Good for her. As previously stated, I’ve never been a fan of Evgenia, but I am very interested in how she will evolve under Orser. 

Btw, I loved her statement, very classy and mature, which is more than what can be said about Eteri, who, ironically enough, has behaved like a petulant teenager over this split. 

I liked that Orser mentioned three specific things in that first interview. One, that Evgenia told him she had no interest in trashing her previous coaches; two, that she wants some creative input into her choreography and music; and three that he acknowledged the flutz.

On a much lighter note, Rockerskating live tweeted Dancing with the Stars last night, which cracked me up. He gave a Adam a "Quickstep CLEAN!!!" and decided that "NChen has really been practicing his Lvl4 applauding." 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Darknight said:

She trashed Yuila too. I'm scared for Alexandra And Alina

She's trashed ALL her ex-students. Adian Pitkeev too. 

Rumours are that Trusova's leaving, too, and that  Tarakanova has anorexia. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Go Team Orser!!  This is going to be interesting to see if EM is transformed by her new coaching team.

Re: Chock & Bates?  IMO they first need to get Evan to quit bending at the waist (everyone knows he's a lot taller than his partner so he just needs to show off his good posture).  Then, do something about Chock's wimpy hair that smacks around her head while skating.  I give them a year in Montreal.  

I wonder if MFD is going to continue to let Madison Chock design their skating outfits. That way too colorful short dance dress this year was awful. 

1 hour ago, displayname said:

Rumours are....Tarakanova has anorexia. 

This is my shocked face.  Eteri is horrible. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, displayname said:

Trusova has already left. Alina is her only senior.

1 hour ago, MostlyC said:

Given how Eteri treated Alina when she won the Olympic gold medal, I am shocked she stayed with her.  I would have raced to the nearest exit

Even if she wanted to, she's probably seen how Eteri's treated the others who did which might give her pause. She's 16, still in school I think. 

For Evgenia, she's 18 and out of school, she speaks English and is apparently learning Japanese as well and seems to have friends amongst the other skater cultivated over the years she's been in seniors. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, displayname said:

Omg. Do you have any links? Eteri is terrible

10 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Given how Eteri treated Alina when she won the Olympic gold medal, I am shocked she stayed with her.  I would have raced to the nearest exit

Yeah she clearly wanted Evegenia towin but said she didn'twant to put all her eggs in one basket.

No, Mao did a 4 triple SP, and an 8 triple LP, and won the OGM this year with three record-breaking scores. She was awarded the gold medal by Yuna, and the two queens took a picture together. Remember?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Mao?  LOL! Yuna won 2010, the Russian girl in 2014 and Alina this year.  Mao has never won OGM.

No, @displayname is correct.  Yuna won in 2010 and 2014, and Mao won in 2018.  Honestly, it was not even three months ago; how do you not remember?

• Love 3

Dancing with the Stars Week 2.  They also split the stars into two teams for the group dances.  Adam and Mirai were on the same team and I kind of wished they had put Tonya with them.

Mirai

Adam

Tonya

• Love 1

From what I have read Evgenia’s biggest challenge in moving to Brian will be the vast difference in training methods from Russia. 

As I understand, in Russia training is very controlled, everything from when she ate, what she ate, how and when to train, to what she’d skate to, who would choreograph her programs, how her programs were laid out etc., were determined by Eteri and team. Whereas Brian seems to be more of a guide than a controller. The skaters under him often times choose their own music, are responsible for their own training plan and goals, diet etc., again Brian is there to guide. Therefore, he does hold a lot of influence over what is decided, but his skaters appear to be very independent and very much in control of their programs, training, diet etc. I’m sure he asserts more control with the younger skaters with regards to music and training, but the elite skaters like Hanyu and Fernandez were/are deciding a lot about their training etc.

After being in a controlling environment for 11 years, Evgenia will either thrive off this new method of independence or will struggle to adapt. 

Re: ^^^^ I'm so happy for Brian Orser, being such a successful coach of such great skaters.  His two Olympic experiences had to have cut deeply (esp losing to Scott Hamilton, a good skater but no artist on ice).  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, displayname said:

Eteri interviews that she thinks Orser is hurt by her success, and she will work hard to hurt him even more?!

Geez...what a sick puppy.  For some reason, although I know very little about her, I'm not surprised (after observing her in the K&C after Zagitova's winning the gold).

• Love 1

It will be very interesting to see how this works out. Aljona Savchenko is the pairs queen on ice, but it remains to be seen how that will translate to coaching. The logistics will also be quite an issue: Alex Koenig is moving to Berlin, the Knierims are splitting their time between Germany and Chicago, and Aljona has a number of shows on the schedule for next season but Bruno Massot is moving to La Chaux-de-Fonds to start his own coaching career with youth, so they will have to sort that out. This is very exciting, though. 

• Love 1

The Netherlands just submitted Urgent Proposal #5 for consideration at the upcoming congress, which would raise the age of eligibility for senior competition to 17 as of the 2020-21 season.  So it looks like we're going to have this debate this year after all.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I figure most countries want it raised to prevent a younger athlete that hasn't gone through puberty from trouncing everyone via a quadpocalypse. Although, truth be told, age limits don't do anything but cause immense frustration and consternation for athletes who want to compete. 

Would the age limit not do exactly what you describe in your first sentence?

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the proposal to raise the age limit might in part be related to protecting youngsters from themselves. I believe in a recent article about the 12 and 13 year olds doing quads there was a brief discussion about how raising the age limit may force coaches and athletes to play the long game. Instead of rushing to master these difficult jumps, at such a young age, that may have a long term negative affect on their body (ie being out of the game by the time they’re 18 due to injury)coaches and athletes can better pace their training, that may give these athletes longevity in the sport. 

2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Although, truth be told, age limits don't do anything but cause immense frustration and consternation for athletes who want to compete. Imagine being the unlucky girl who turns 16 during the 2022 games and has to wait until they're 20 to compete for the first time. 

I’m of the mindset that if they’re truly THAT good then they’ll be around for their first Olympics at 20 (barring any injuries of course), which really is still very young. They could even do another Olympics at 24 and still be competitive. Arakawa is the oldest female OGM in recent years at the age of 26 and Kostner and Slutskaya won an OBM at the age of 27. It can be done. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

The age limit is fine as is, IMO. I figure most countries want it raised to prevent a younger athlete that hasn't gone through puberty from trouncing everyone via a quadpocalypse. Although, truth be told, age limits don't do anything but cause immense frustration and consternation for athletes who want to compete. Imagine being the unlucky girl who turns 16 during the 2022 games and has to wait until they're 20 to compete for the first time. 

I agree! Mao Asada missed the 2006 Olympics by a few months. That could have been her Olympic gold medal right there. She had beaten Arakawa, Cohen, and Slutskaya at various points that season.

I also think it’s mean spirited to do it right now. The implication is that Zagitova shouldn’t have been eligible to compete and shouldn’t be Olympic Champion. 

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I also think it’s mean spirited to do it right now. The implication is that Zagitova shouldn’t have been eligible to compete and shouldn’t be Olympic Champion. 

When else would be an appropriate time to do it?  This is the start of a new quad.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

When else would be an appropriate time to do it?  This is the start of a new quad.

I don’t think it should be changed, so never.

To me it reeks of “Hey, that girl out jumped us! I don’t like that! Let’s change the rules!”

Edited by Jeddah
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

I don’t think it should be changed, so never.

To me it reeks of “Hey, that girl out jumped us! I don’t like that! Let’s change the rules!”

Whether you think it’s a good idea is separate from claiming it’s mean-spirited to do it right now.

Beyond which, I don’t think this is about Zagitova.  She’s not the first 15-year-old champ.  Indeed, I believe this rule if applied retroactively would have excluded all Olympic ladies’ champions since Yamaguchi other than Arakawa and Kim.

The backloading rule change is definitely about her, but that’s nothing new either (see, e.g., the Zayak rule).

This proposal is, to me, pretty clearly about heading off the possibility of a stream of 15-year-olds who can do quads becoming an unending chain of one-season wonders.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, SeanC said:

This proposal is, to me, pretty clearly about heading off the possibility of a stream of 15-year-olds who can do quads becoming an unending chain of one-season wonders.

But if they are the best for that one season, why not let them compete?

(edited)
59 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

But if they are the best for that one season, why not let them compete?

Presumably because, as the proposal states, they’d prefer that the sport allow some degree of longevity.  It’s entirely conceivable that within a few years it won’t be worthwhile for anybody over the age of 17 to compete at major international tournaments.

Gymnastics is a good point of comparison.  It raised age eligibility in a similar manner, and for the same reason.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 2

I want to see the best compete. If that’s a young person, so be it.

I also don’t see how this encourages longevity. A coach isn’t going to tell a skater they’ve mastered all their triples, but let’s hold off on trying quads because the Olympics changed their age requirements. They’ll still be trying things. They’ll still be traveling around the world doing these skills on the Junior Grand Prix.

I absolutely think there are problems in skating, and skater burnout is a problem. I want them all to have long, healthy careers. I just don’t see how the age requirement achieves that. It just keeps skaters from getting their chance. I think the solution is going to have to come from coaches. I also think things like penalizing falls more could do a lot to keep skaters from trying skills they really have no business trying.

31 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I also don’t see how this encourages longevity. A coach isn’t going to tell a skater they’ve mastered all their triples, but let’s hold off on trying quads because the Olympics changed their age requirements.

It’s not about when you try quads.  Women who have fully matured probably can’t do quads at all (if they can, which as I said earlier is possible, then raising the age limit would still allow the quad-jumpers to compete from 17 onward).

If the sport becomes completely dominated by Eteri’s quad-jumpers and any imitators inspired in other countries (and there are a couple trying it, as I understand), then the result will effectively curtail longevity because there’s no reason for anybody much above the age where you can do quads to stick around.  Nobody over the age of twenty, especially, would compete at all (at least, not with any meaningful Fed support; financing goes where winning prospects are).  So the longevity of competitive skaters would be until 15-16.

• Love 4
On 5/16/2018 at 12:14 PM, SeanC said:

It’s not about when you try quads.  Women who have fully matured probably can’t do quads at all (if they can, which as I said earlier is possible, then raising the age limit would still allow the quad-jumpers to compete from 17 onward).

If the sport becomes completely dominated by Eteri’s quad-jumpers and any imitators inspired in other countries (and there are a couple trying it, as I understand), then the result will effectively curtail longevity because there’s no reason for anybody much above the age where you can do quads to stick around.  Nobody over the age of twenty, especially, would compete at all (at least, not with any meaningful Fed support; financing goes where winning prospects are).  So the longevity of competitive skaters would be until 15-16.

Which is exactly why I'm for it. I do not want to see LADIES figure skating go the way of gymnastics. Especially given that the quadacalypse (heh) also seems to go hand in hand with eating disorders and delayed puberty, since boobs, hips and curves are not quad friendly things to have.  It's bad enough that I'm seeing the words "figure skating" being thrown around in the whole gymnastics scandal that is dominating headlines. But, having coaches like Eteri, with accusations of verbal and mental abuse towards her skaters, gaming the system to push her tiny quad jumpers to the head of the class, and judges who seem to reward the jumping more than the artistry that comes with maturity. I'm totally good with the proposal. If you like watching the little jumping beans, there's always juniors. 

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

who seem to reward the jumping more than the artistry that comes with maturity. 

Thing is, if they at least rewarded GOOD jumping, we would still see a better sport. Not everyone can jump well, especially at that age, but if you work hard and your coaching team teaches you well, and safely, why not? I'm fine with the sport celebrating athletes, artists, and athletes AND artists, but in the ladies field we are essentially rewarding nothing. All of Trusova's and Scherbackova's quads are tiny, cheated, done with terrible technique, excessively pre-rotated AND under-rotated, and yet they are ratified. And because these mean TES AND PCS points, they don't work on the artistic side, either. 

Edited by displayname
  • Love 6

Lengthy interview with Aljona Savchenko about coaching, future plans, and the Knierims: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/17/276810168

I like to share my knowledge with skaters who are already there, who have potential, and who I feel I can help. At worlds, Alexa and Chris skated really bad. Alexa came back crying to the locker room as I was putting on my makeup. She was so sad and distressed. I wanted to tell her that they were good, that she shouldn't be so upset. In our sport, there are ups and downs, but life keeps going always. I felt it was not the best time to tell her, so after the exhibition I went to them and I said, "You guys are so good, don't give up!" Then she told me, "Yesterday, I dreamt that you were coaching us."

If they are strong, anything can happen. I have watched many videos. They always skated good, but something was missing. Their technique is good, but they had problems with jumping. We'll do our best to fix that. They need to find the right exercises for their bodies and improve their skating skills. Also, they love each other, as they are a married couple. They need to show that more. All this will make them more powerful and more enjoyable for people to watch.

Also, as many suspected, she wanted to continue competing next year, but Bruno didn't and she said he's the only partner she'll skate with now, so that was that. They will reevaluate in one year's time, but he is moving to Switzerland to begin his own career coaching youth and I don't imagine spending a stress-free, pain-free year with fiancee and baby in a town where everyone speaks French will be much of a motivator for a comeback. She also doesn't sound too certain of anything, but I hope for everyone's sake that this experiment is a smashing success. If anyone has the tools to add some panache, it would be Aljona. 

• Love 10

"...problems with jumping''.   Well, it's not just the Knierems.  It's all the pairs skaters and it's always bugged me that pairs have to include the type of jumps that singles do while they're also training/performing such difficult lifts and throws (and perfecting other beautiful pairs moves such as the death spiral, and the tricky coordinated spins).  That's a lot and pairs skaters just don't get the recognition that singles skaters get even if they win gold (well, maybe in Russia they do).   Ok...just venting here.  Anyway, I hope Aljona can help them with those pesky jumps because they are beautiful skaters. Wonder if Aljona is still pinching herself, saying "I really did win the Olympic gold!"

• Love 1

I was excited for the Knerim's, but then I thought, "Can Aljona fix what's wrong," because it seems that their problem is that fact that they simply fall apart during competition.  They've always been beautiful as a couple. Hopefully, it is as she claims, that different conditioning techniques and more ice time will help them. I remember looking at their ISU profile and posting here that it claimed that they only practiced 15 hours as week, and we wondered how that could possibly be right, with the other top ranked pairs in the world claiming to practice 30 to 40 hours a week. 

If Savchenko can make international medalists out of a U.S. pair's team, she may end up like Marie France and Brian Orser, and be stock piling ALL the top pairs....except the Russians, of course. 

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Yuzuru fans are interesting.  Isn't Japan proposing an ISU rule about quads that will benefit Yuzuru?

That account seems to have a lot of false information. They claim Ito had a flutz. Not sure what their agenda is.

What rule? The all 6 types of jumps one? It benefits a lot of the top skaters.

Edited by displayname