Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I don’t think she’ll suffer any backlash. If MG/Berlanti even thought about it their lawyers and the WB lawyers should be on it with a quickness. The optics of retribution for speaking up when you’re already under fire for sexual harassment? Yikes. 

• Love 21

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly love Emily more. I would hope that in hindsight MG realizes how disgusting and ill-considered his "reverse sexism" comment was, but its MG. Reflection isn't his strong suit.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

She might not face backlash right away but she could be blacklisted later. I hope not. I commend her statement. But these men band together and are incredibly petty and have long memories.

Yeah I don't want her career to suffer, especially with the accusations that some actors were threatened with being fired or given shitty storylines if they spoke up before. And more selfishly I don't want her character to get killed off, or destroyed because of this in a season where things are going well for her. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly love Emily more. 

Right? Is it weird to be so very proud of someone you've never met before? She actually referenced the bs that her boss had just been tweeting about just hours ago.

I'm really glad that Emily, Melissa, and Chyler spoke out about this. I was actually prepared to just accept that the WB/CW might put a gag on their actors and none of them would speak about this outright. I hope none of them get any backlash with their careers and/current storylines on the show from this.

• Love 11

I had been thinking that a statement before the next Con would be needed because this whole situation would be the elephant in the room, but these three wonderful women nailed it, and I hope fans can refrain from asking any questions that'll make it weird. 

I'm so proud of someone I don't know for speaking out against her boss. That takes a lot of courage, and I applaud her. 

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

She is amazing and I'm so proud to be a fan of hers. 

She basically just went to war with MG though. I really hope her career doesn't suffer because of this. 

If she does suffer professionally at the very least she can be proud of the way she went out on her own terms and probably have grounds for wrongful termination lawsuit. 

ETA: I hope she doesn't but then again MG is like textbook fragile masculinity.

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4
Just now, leopardprint said:

If she does suffer at the very least she can be proud of the way she went out on her own terms and probably have grounds for wrongful termination lawsuit. 

True.

You know how much I love Olicity and want Olicitots but even if they kill her off now we'll all know the real reason why and it was because Emily was awesome and spoke up. 

So proud of her. Can't repeat that enough.

• Love 1

Of the Arrowverse actresses, I think these three are in the best position to speak up. Melissa is The Lead on SG (a high profile show on female empowerment), Chyler is right next to her, and Emily was put on the same level as Stephen and Grant by the network.  

CP and DP probably can't say anything because of the investigation and I don't think CL has the clout. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

If she does suffer professionally at the very least she can be proud of the way she went out on her own terms and probably have grounds for wrongful termination lawsuit. 

Like @apinknightmare said, anyone connected to the show would be insane to take any kind of reprisal against her in this climate.  It would be the kind of textbook case we used to study in my employment law classes. I'm sure there are people who will be pissed, but they're gonna have to suck it up and put on their big boy pants unless they really enjoy giving depositions.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm so proud of someone I don't know for speaking out against her boss. That takes a lot of courage, and I applaud her. 

She and Gal Gadot are made of awesome.

I was seething these days with so many comments about a "witch hunt". Her statement was exactly what the doctor prescribed for my nerves.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Id be surprised not to see CL speak out, esp with Shethority. 

I'd love for her to speak out, but I would understand if she (and others) felt like that couldn't. 

I love the thought that these three are speaking for the woman of DCTV.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

Right? Is it weird to be so very proud of someone you've never met before? She actually referenced the bs that her boss had just been tweeting about just hours ago.

I'm really glad that Emily, Melissa, and Chyler spoke out about this. I was actually prepared to just accept that the WB/CW might put a gag on their actors and none of them would speak about this outright. I hope none of them get any backlash with their careers and/current storylines on the show from this.

Technically none of them have addressed the allegations directly: just sexual harassment in general. I mean, yeah, it's fairly obvious that Emily Bett Rickards didn't use the phrase "reverse sexism" by pure coincidence, but she also hasn't named names or violated any NDAs. 

And on a petty note may I add that I am delighted to see that as I type, her tweet has 1.9K retweets and the tweet she is responding to.....does not.

• Love 17

I imagine the worst that could happen to her is that Marc gets petty creatively with her screenntime/storylines but even then I highly doubt that'll happen since Felicity is pratically more popular then the titled masked heroes in Arrowverse.

I came across this thread on twitter and I've obviously never paid enough attention to Marc's interviews or twitter account:

Im not going to accuse him of being the same as Kreisberg but I will say based with in the context of those screen shots he doesn't sound like someone who would have fought tirelessly to protect women from Kreisberg.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 3

I have a hard time believing that they didn’t know. They shuffled him around quite a bit. 

But man, EBR is a beast. None of her castmates had the guts to do what she did. Not even her bosses. 

As for her job, I doubt they‘d get permission to kill her or write her off from the WB. Also MG doesn’t seem to handle a lot of Arrow things at the moment. I feel as though it is WM.  Can’t help but worrry about her though. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I imagine the worst that could happen to her is that Marc gets petty creatively with her screenntime/storylines but even then I highly doubt that'll happen since Felicity is pratically more popular then the titled masked heroes in Arrowverse.

I came across this thread on twitter and I've obviously never paid enough attention to Marc's interviews or twitter account:

Im not going to accuse him of being the same as Kreisberg but I will say based with in the context of those screen shots he doesn't sound like someone who would have fought tirelessly to protect women from Kreisberg.

I feel like the above tweet cannot be said enough, this is far from the first time he's started digging himself into a hole and written his own narrative as the victim whilst not getting the point. It doesn't make me think he cares about providing a safe work environment for his shows. His fellow show runner was accused of horrible behaviour by a lot of people and his response entirely misses the point. If he felt the need to comment at all it should have been sometime bland in support of a safe work place until this is all sorted out. But mostly he should have stayed off SM. It's behaviour like this that makes me worried about EBRs career and character for having directly called him out. He's always the victim in his narrative.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

I feel like the above tweet cannot be said enough, this is far from the first time he's started digging himself into a hole and written his own narrative as the victim whilst not getting the point. It doesn't make me think he cares about providing a safe work environment for his shows. His fellow show runner was accused of horrible behaviour by a lot of people and his response entirely misses the point. If he felt the need to comment at all it should have been sometime bland in support of a safe work place until this is all sorted out. But mostly he should have stayed off SM. It's behaviour like this that makes me worried about EBRs career and character for having directly called him out. He's always the victim in his narrative.

The way I see it if he is that petty and that fragile that he takes it out on Felicity's character or Olicity then I don't want his show in my life any way he can keep it. I'll treat 6x04 as the series finale and know in my heart of hearts Felicity and Emily are worth more.

Thankfully though I don't believe Marc will go so far as to give Felicity shit storylines just to punish Emily. I've heard the way he speaks about both Felicity and Emily on DVD episode commentaries. He spoke highly of both Felicity and Emily and he's been protective of Felicity as a character in the pass. And even if he does prove to be that petty I have to have faith that Wendy Ben Beth and Sarah would balance him out. 

• Love 13

It’s not easy to call out your boss also because you have to face him, not just because he could write crap for your character..and from the way MG handles his twitter page I don’t see him as someone who deals well with criticism. Anyway I’m so, so proud of her for speaking up. 

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Thankfully though I don't believe Marc will go so far as to give Felicity shit storylines just to punish Emily. I've heard the way he speaks about both Felicity and Emily on DVD episode commentaries. He spoke highly of both Felicity and Emily and he's been protective of Felicity as a character in the pass. And even if he does prove to be that petty I have to have faith that Wendy Ben Beth and Sarah would balance him out. 

Dare we hope being called out by someone he likes might properly shame him?  He's also got a wife I'd expect to slap him upside the head.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Chaser said:

CP and DP probably can't say anything because of the investigation and I don't think CL has the clout. 

Both Caity and Candice hit the like button on Emily's tweet. Don't know when, but it's showing up on their profiles. With Twitter's current set up, anyone following them but not Emily, will still see the tweet. 

Mad props to Emily, Melissa and Chyler!

Edited by Vera
  • Love 3

4a.jpg

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

http://www.vulkanmagazine.com/emily-bett-rickards/

You’ve played Felicity Smoak now for a number of years. How do you keep the character fresh for yourself?
Felicity is a very hopeful person. Even after all the evil she’s faced and those who have been hurt around her, she still keeps fighting. Keeps finding a new way to work through and always looking up. She stays fresh. She teaches me.

In what way would you say Felicity has grown the most since we were first introduced to her?
I think inherently she will always be the girl that is more comfortable hiding behind the screen, I don’t think she ever thought she would deliver a public speech or any speech or stand on any stage of sorts… but here she is.

What is one quality Felicity has that you wish you had yourself?
Even though she’s scatterbrained she gets to be very articulate when she needs to be. I suffer from l’esprit de l’escalier (when you think of what to say after you leave the conversation DANG IT)

How does it feel to enter different sets as the same character, how do the sets compare, let’s say between that of Arrow and The Flash?
It’s strange because you stay the same, your character stays the same though she is written by different people. As the actor sometimes you have to be conscious about the consistency of your character and her life… And the environment changes. Going and working on a new set with a new crew is entertaining, and then getting to interact with different scene partners… It’s like new food!

Who is your favourite DC Comics character? 
Hmm. Can there be a Batgirl movie soon?

What are your thoughts on social media movements such as the “no-makeup selfie” campaigns? Do you think these are beneficial to women who come across them? 
I’m not sure where my opinion rest in this. It changes. I’m not always very active on social media because I go back and forth on whether there is more harm than good because in the end we will always take away what we want from the things we are exposed to, but I hope and therefore expect the outreach to be positive.

Who is your biggest female role model and what is one piece of advice she gave you that you would pass down?
My mom. Be conscious of the walls you build up, love freely, and know you can say no.

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 19

I think backlash is always possible in this industry and I admit I'm somewhat nervous for EBR but at the same time they'd have to be absolute morons to do anything, with the spotlight on them the way it is now. We'd ALL know. 

So it takes a lot of courage to say what she did. She likely doesn't have the same job security as someone who is the lead of their show, like SA, GG or even MB, to an extent. I'm proud of her. Much respect!

I'm interested to hear from the men of DCTV now. We're waiting, guys. 

giphy.gif

• Love 5
4 hours ago, LeighAn said:

The way I see it if he is that petty and that fragile that he takes it out on Felicity's character or Olicity then I don't want his show in my life any way he can keep it. I'll treat 6x04 as the series finale and know in my heart of hearts Felicity and Emily are worth more.

Oh for sure,  if that actually does happen she's very much better off out of it and she must have thought about potential issues and consequences before writing it. And yes MG seems to have a lot of fingers in pies this pilot season. I'm really considering giving the Arrowverse a break for a few weeks until we know more of what's what. It's leaving a toxic taste in my mouth, and that's a shame given that I've enjoyed a lot of all the shows this season. But I wasn't going to watch "Promises Kept" ASAP so that's given me another incentive. I really was looking forward to LOT's Helen Hunt, but now given some of the subject matter, maybe not.

I still think Stein is dead, even though LOT has set up a gentler out for him. It's tragic, gives VG a death scene which a lot of actors love and LOT a piece of the emotional pay off of the crossover, assuming none of that changes now. Speaking of which, does anyone think they'll change the crossover? I guess not unless one of the actors is caught in the sludge but I'd think they'll want to sort this out one way or the other before they start they're promotional push in about a week's time

Next weekend's events/cons (updated, with schedules)...

Ring of Honor: Survival of the Fittest Night 1, November 17, 2017 (San Antonio, TX)
Stephen Amell
https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/928042836154507265
http://www.rohwrestling.com/live/events/2017/nov/17/111717-survival-fittest-night-1-san-antonio-tx
Friday, 11/17, at 7:30pm

Heroes & Villains FanFest-Atlanta, November 18-19, 2017 (Atlanta, GA)
Stephen Amell, Emily Bett Rickards, David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Echo Kellum, Rick Gonzalez, Juliana Harkavy, Katie Cassidy, Manu Bennett, John Barrowman and Katrina Law (also Caity Lotz, Victor Garber, Brandon Routh, Italia Ricci and Robbie Amell)
http://heroesfanfest.com/atlanta/guests/
Schedule
Sat., 11/18, at 12:00pm - EBR panel
Sat., 11/18, at 12:00pm - Arrow panel with WH, MB, EK, KL
Sat., 11/18, at 2:45pm - JB panel
Sun., 11/19, at 11:00am - OTA panel with SA, EBR, DR
Sun., 11/19, at 11:00am - KL panel
Sun., 11/19, at 1:45pm - DR panel
Sun., 11/19, at 2:45pm - Firestorm panel with RA, VG
Sun., 11/19, at 4:00pm - Canaries panel with JH, KC, CL

Wizard World Austin, November 17-19, 2017 (TX)
Summer Glau (also Dean Cain)
http://wizardworld.com/comiccon/austin
Programming Schedule
Sat., 11/18, at 5:00pm - Firefly panel with SG, Jewel Staite and Sean Maher

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Turns out the Andrew Kreisberg story encouraged a former staff writer on One Tree Hill (current show runner of Crazy Ex Girlfriend) to basically open up about the One Tree Hill show runner and his very Kreisberg like behavior to staff members and Sophia Bush and Hilarie Burton have gone on the record as backing the writer who exposed him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/audreyalison/status/929504349889298432

Seriously he is so gross. Another part of my teen years tainted.

• Love 3

Speaking of which, does anyone think they'll change the crossover? I guess not unless one of the actors is caught in the sludge but I'd think they'll want to sort this out one way or the other before they start they're promotional push in about a week's time

Technically, they still could - they don't absolutely, positively, have to deliver the finalized episodes to the CW affiliates until the morning of November 27th, which technically gives them enough time for reshoots/edits. But logistically, I'd say not - it would be a complete nightmare.  Everyone involved is now rehearsing/shooting/writing later episodes, so would have problems finding time to write/reshoot these episodes (and in the cases of the actors who only film a few days a week, like Echo Kellum, presumably booked for other projects like audio books or whatever).  There's also the problem of work in post: Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow, in particular, are kinda notorious for adding things like ceilings, city landscapes and weapons - like the arrows - in post, and I'm just not sure that there's enough time to reshoot/edit/CGI before November 27th - and that's before taking into consideration that next week is Thanksgiving in the U.S., which will limit everyone's availability still further.

Plus, even though the shows have typically more or less shrugged off what happens in the crossovers (I still can't believe that everyone on Arrow was like "oh yes, aliens, very nice, and now, back to our regular habit of shooting people and never mentioning that WE ENCOUNTERED ACTUAL ALIENS and just maybe, as the mayor of a medium sized city, Oliver ought to be working on a few preparations for this, but moving on), the rest of the episodes are still going to be following up on whatever happens in the crossovers, so any huge changes there might require changes for the next episodes - at least a few of which are already in post, so will also be difficult to change.

And go, David Ramsey!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

Turns out the Andrew Kreisberg story encouraged a former staff writer on One Tree Hill (current show runner of Crazy Ex Girlfriend) to basically open up about the One Tree Hill show runner and his very Kreisberg like behavior to staff members and Sophia Bush and Hilarie Burton have gone on the record as backing the writer who exposed him.

Yeah, that guy is a piece of work.  I remember we used to talk about his creepy obsession with Hilarie Burton back when it was on.  He didn't hide it either, and would make his comments in commentaries, promotional interviews, etc.  I'm so sorry for her having to work with a guy who, even if he didn't say anything to her directly (which I doubt), was basically harassing her through the media.  I'm also sorry his behavior extended to other women on the show.  Total asshat.

Love David's reply.  Full support all the way!

• Love 6

Speaking of which, does anyone think they'll change the crossover? I guess not unless one of the actors is caught in the sludge but I'd think they'll want to sort this out one way or the other before they start they're promotional push in about a week's time

I don't understand; why would they want to change the crossover? And sort what out?

Edited by lemotomato
1 hour ago, Soulfire said:

?I don't expect everyone to be vocal here, but I am so, so glad for those who are.

1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

Ew. And yet, I'm not surprised. Schwan always did give off the vibe of a pervy lonely kid who got some power. Is The Royals still on? I wonder how that show will be affected if he actually (please) faces consequences for his actions.

• Love 1

The entertainment industry needs to do what others have been doing for decades an give to simple basic cya anti harassment/equal treatment training to anyone(regardless of contract or status) working for their company or property. I can't believe industry lawyers don't mandate it to cover themselves. It shouldn't take a work place orientation to learn about harassment but if nothing else those that fear consequences might stop. Every year with all my employers we have to go through equal treatment meeting along with the usual safety etc. For the most part it seems to work. Just a call to one of those 1800 complaint lines can kill a manager's career if the issue is something they should've known about.

Edited by misstwpherecool
  • Love 1

So happy to see David's tweet in support of Emily and Melissa. Even though Stephen hasn't commented publicly (to my knowledge), it's obvious how much he cares about Emily and enjoys working with her. I think he and David would have plenty to say behind the scenes if anyone tried to retaliate against her vis a vis storylines or screen time.

• Love 11