Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Who's Feeling Sporty Now

• Start Topic

Oh TAR Canucklestan.  You lack Browsie,  but you make up for it for a pretty interesting first leg.  For someone who hates public speaking, I shuddered at the first roadblock.  

Hey Sabrina?  Shut up.  I want to root for you since you're from my hometown but you're not making it easy. 

I was pleasantly surprised about having our first transgender contestant. 

This is probably the only Canadian version of an American reality show I have actively watched from the start.  Hoping for good things this year.

A good start. Atlantis didn't have as much switching as it could've but there was some. The Quebec City ordering was moot due to the bunching at the market. And the TSN challenge was surprisingly challenging, just due to the names they picked. Sounded like everyone was having a good time at least with it.

Some of the teams are a bit annoying, but so far none are WTF worthy yet; that could change next week. And a lot of variety in the teams too, but maybe a few too many sports pairs. 

And the prizes; damn near a million dollars worth, not to mention the gas for life. I'd say we're surpassing TARUS's prizes at this rate. 

Good riddance to that generic dating couple.

As for next week's prize, talk about combining Natalie and Nadiya's legacy with Adam and Bethany's!

I wonder what the "international Canadian connection" will be?

First of all, I am sooo pissed that I missed the spoilers about the start line being at the Chateau Frontenac. I would have totally gone out and staked out the location had I'd known.

I can see people struggling with French pronunciation, but honestly, is 'quai' that foreign a word??? Well, it must be if our Montreal Italians don't have a clue what it refers to. Had I been stalking the production, I could have totally told them where to go, as it happens to be the main cruise ship dock. Then again, considering how ridiculous she was acting at the water task, I'm glad I had no part in aiding them whatsoever.

Being a bit of a James Duthie fangirl :P, I totally loved the TSN challenge. That was a bit of a mean fake-out, however, essentially giving the impression of a physical task.

All in all, a satisfactory first leg, although there are already a couple of teams that will wear very thin very quickly.

The only team I'm actively rooting against is Sabrina because she is going to be tiresome. She already is, but I mean from getting lost the second they got their bags, to immediately bursting into tears at the sight of water... I just can't with her. 

Things I absolutely loved - the brother who vomited at the sight of the other brothers being ahead of them on the ferry (and I normally hate vomit but it was just too perfect); the Nigerian father/daughter are adorable and he was awesome in that water for never having swam before; diversity galore.

I'm not overly upset at the elimination because I thought they were just so blah and vapid at the beginning, but I felt for him at the challenge being dyslexic. 

Other random thoughts - A lot of workout montages in the intros. The young engaged couple/transgender - they're like 18 right? They looked so young. She said they met in cadets 7 years prior which I thought was a young teens thing but maybe they were older. I guess no older than 23 because he said he transitioned at 16 yeah? 

Otherwise no big impressions other than I'm not looking forward to the meaty brothers steamrolling all the comps. 

• Love 2

How will other Canadians not feel forced to think of Toronto as the center of the universe when 6 of 12 teams are from GTHA?

'Quai' can be translated to English as 'quay' and in both cases they sound like 'key', not 'koo-way'.

Oh how far has James Duthie fallen. From anchoring NHL on TSN to guest appearance on TAR-C. Guess Bell is feeling the pain of Rogers' NHL blockbuster contract.

Seeing Neil Lumsden, I wish that he had gone with his other child, Jesse.

I can not help feeling sad with Montgomery's statement that with the myriad of prizes the winners will get, the total value is close to C$1M and it is the biggest payout on Canadian reality TV.

the Nigerian father/daughter are adorable and he was awesome in that water for never having swam before

If you had to talk your dad into going on the race with you, wouldn't you advise him to learn to swim before it starts?

Poor Cynthia on that log though, she's going to be feeling that tomorrow.

I have bruises just from watching.

Last years Amazing Race had good Canadian competition and there was something magical about the shows.
This year it is flat. Don't know how else to describe it.
I was looking forward to the show and at the start the show was lost. Then to have a cheating part of the race. I mean common, the log was meant to be walked or ran across, not crawling on with feet dangling in the water. Those 3 teams should not have got a pass. This is July, when did this show run April or so and that first lady would still be trying to get across.

How can I face my USA relatives when they have such a good show?

(edited)

How will other Canadians not feel forced to think of Toronto as the center of the universe when 6 of 12 teams are from GTHA?

I thought only a couple teams were from Toronto? And, as a Torontonian, we don't consider the suburbs and other close cities to be Toronto. Only people who aren't from Toronto think that ;) Although, were there any West Coast teams? I think I might have missed that in the intros because I find it hard to believe there are no BC teams. 

I like the father/daughter from Nigeria but I'm pretty sure he's swum (swam?) before, he would have drowned. He probably just meant he can't swim very well. 

That TSN challenge was cool! (And it's like 10 mins from my apartment.) I would have totally fangirled over James Duthie. As much as I want to like the brothers, how can you not know what TSN is?? Even if you're not a sports fan, you've never heard of the channel? What the hell?

I still don't know anybody's name but I immediately disliked the couple who said their hobby was cuddling. Ugh! And the female half of that team (Sabrina?) can be eliminated right now, please. She was bitching like 5 minutes after leaving the starting line. And the dramatics at Ontario Place...good lord, woman. I'm so ready for that couple to be gone. The only thing I would have been scared of would be jumping into nasty, dirty, gross Lake Ontario.

Edited by Rachel RSL

I thought only a couple teams were from Toronto? And, as a Torontonian, we don't consider the suburbs and other close cities to be Toronto. Only people who aren't from Toronto think that ;) Although, were there any West Coast teams? I think I might have missed that in the intros because I find it hard to believe there are no BC teams. 

I like the father/daughter from Nigeria but I'm pretty sure he's swum (swam?) before, he would have drowned. He probably just meant he can't swim very well. 

That TSN challenge was cool! (And it's like 10 mins from my apartment.) I would have totally fangirled over James Duthie. As much as I want to like the brothers, how can you not know what TSN is?? Even if you're not a sports fan, you've never heard of the channel? What the hell?

Were the Brothers who got lost trying to go to TSN? I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I had the feeling they may have been (mis)remembering some old information about the studios and sent their taxi to the wrong place.

Simi and Ope are one of my early favorite teams, just for his determination to get through that water task and how his daughter encouraged him through it. 

As for the people who crawled across the log, I don't have an issue with it. The challenge is to get across the log, not to run across it (but that's the expected way), nor to stay dry doing it. As long as you don't fall off the log from one end to the other, you met the challenge needs. That said, a lot of the pratfalls from the log attempts looked downright painful. Ye-ouch! If looks could kill, we'd be down a team when that other team (sorry bad at names) crawled across after Cynthia? took so many attempts to run (and finally succeeded at running) across. In any case, I'll count that Atlantis challenge as our own version of the Canadian Ninja Warrior course. :)

I took an arbitrary dislike to the team that was eliminated - professional girlfriend?  not a fan - so I felt oddly vindicated at the end of the episode.  That Sabrina is annoying as heck but her boyfriend/fiance/husband/whatever was hilarious after she finished the physical challenge, so I'm giving them a pass for now.  Not sure who I will randomly hate next week but it's a bit easier to pick this season.  Last summer I liked almost everyone.  

I had the feeling they may have been (mis)remembering some old information about the studios and sent their taxi to the wrong place.

I think the fact that they moved to Toronto (as opposed to growing up here, etc.) means they're still not overly familiar with the city. TSN studios aren't downtown at all, they're in a more residential part of the city. I'm assuming there was info in the clue (or they looked it up somewhere) that said the TSN studios were in Agincourt....which they are. But they sent their cab to 9 Agincourt Drive, and TSN is located on Channel 9 Drive, which is in Agincourt but is a totally different street from Agincourt Drive.

Were there any West Coast teams? I think I might have missed that in the intros because I find it hard to believe there are no BC teams.

There is a team from Burnaby, BC (can't remember who).  

I really enjoyed the episode (except Sabrina who complained about how hard it was seconds after leaving the starting line - really?).  I have been to all those places so it was neat to see.   

• Love 1

That is why i wrote GTHA. The Montanis, the Sweeneys, the Lumsdens, the wrestlers, the dancers and the freshly-eliminated.

For non-Torontonians, not-Toronto means, among others, Kingston, Saskatoon, Fredericton or Edmonton. Basically all the places not served by GO Transit.

• Love 3

Last years Amazing Race had good Canadian competition and there was something magical about the shows.

This year it is flat. Don't know how else to describe it.

I think the Mikkelson - Spooner factor really boosted the excitement level of the show.

• Love 3

For non-Torontonians, not-Toronto means, among others, Kingston, Saskatoon, Fredericton or Edmonton. Basically all the places not served by GO Transit.

Really??  Haha I had no idea. But I promise you, people in Toronto don't consider anything outside of the actual city to be part of Toronto. (Meaning, the cities serviced by Go Transit that aren't Toronto, well....aren't Toronto. Because they're not.) But I digress. Just a pet peeve of most Torontonians.

Really??  Haha I had no idea. But I promise you, people in Toronto don't consider anything outside of the actual city to be part of Toronto. (Meaning, the cities serviced by Go Transit that aren't Toronto, well....aren't Toronto. Because they're not.) But I digress. Just a pet peeve of most Torontonians.

This is my last comment on the subject, I promise, but more than once I met those from Markham, Vaughan or Mississauga claimed to be from Toronto. The conversation usually went like this:

"Where are you from?"

"Toronto."

"Oh? Which part of Toronto?"

"Mississauga, several minutes west from down town (via Gardiner)."

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. People who aren't from Toronto claim to be from Toronto and it drives us crazy! In any case, there do seem to be quite a few Ontario teams. And I think only one from Quebec. I wonder if maybe not that many people applied from other provinces? 

I thought it was a great episode!

I love it when they have back to back Road Blocks and say that the person who did the last Road Block can't do this one.

As for the poster who said it was cheating to cross the log by crawling was cheating. No. The task was to cross the log. Not walk across the log. Cross the log. So anyway to get across was acceptable.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. People who aren't from Toronto claim to be from Toronto and it drives us crazy! In any case, there do seem to be quite a few Ontario teams. And I think only one from Quebec. I wonder if maybe not that many people applied from other provinces?

I'm from Markham, north of Toronto. I always say Markham, not Toronto.

Esp when my sister tried to make fun of me because of Rob Ford. I just said " not my mayor!"

• Love 1

There is a team from Burnaby, BC (can't remember who).    

The lady corrections officers team that were almost eliminated.

the Nigerian father/daughter are adorable and he was awesome in that water for never having swam before

He had actually never swam without a life jacket before.

There are 3 basic rules for being on the Amazing Race:

1. Know how to drive a stick shift

2. Know how to swim

3. Know how to ride a bike.

And always, ALWAYS:

Read the clue.  Then read the clue again.

Good first start.  Glad that team was eliminated.  She seemed to have the potential to be a real whiner, though I felt bad for him with his dyslexia.

I'm not sure how to feel about that leg. It wasn't painfully bad, I liked the anagram puzzle, and I love that there was a twelve-team cast (first without a mid-leg elimination since 2003!) and they did a good job editing it, but the tasks left something to be desired (maybe that's just because I'm a trained autocue reader and it's really much easier than they made it look, but the bikes and the obstacle course weren't great either) and the product placement got turned up past eleven to TAR Asia levels and I'm not ready to lose gorgeous, gorgeous dickhead Elias yet. :(

Simi & Ope are from Burnaby, BC and Susan & Sharnjit are from Vancouver, BC (had to look it up because it was bugging me!).

I am originally from Brampton but it just got easier to tell people that I am from Toronto.  Even fellow Canadians would sometimes give me the 'deer in the highlights' stare when I said Brampton.  

I liked the episode and am very happy to have my TAR back for the summer.  The tasks were interesting and rather challenging.  I would still be at TSN fumbling through names.   

• Love 2

The only team I'm actively rooting against is Sabrina because she is going to be tiresome. She already is, but I mean from getting lost the second they got their bags, to immediately bursting into tears at the sight of water... I just can't with her. 

I'm not overly upset at the elimination because I thought they were just so blah and vapid at the beginning, but I felt for him at the challenge being dyslexic. 

That just about sums up my feelings about Sabrina. Ugh. And while I realize that there are all kinds of physical challenges people can have that aren't visible, in this context, if there were a legit health reason for her to be winded after five minutes of walking, we'd have heard about it. But yeah, I was over her whining/wailing well before the end of the episode.

And as for Max & Elias, just reading about them made me pretty certain I wasn't going to like them, but I was prepared to be surprised. I wasn't, though, and I still didn't like them. But yeah, I did feel for him trying to do that task with dyslexia. That's brutal.

I'm not sure how to feel about that leg. It wasn't painfully bad, I liked the anagram puzzle, and I love that there was a twelve-team cast (first without a mid-leg elimination since 2003!) and they did a good job editing it, but the tasks left something to be desired (maybe that's just because I'm a trained autocue reader and it's really much easier than they made it look, but the bikes and the obstacle course weren't great either) and the product placement got turned up past eleven to TAR Asia levels and I'm not ready to lose gorgeous, gorgeous dickhead Elias yet. :(

I'd say it's definitely your training :). We can all look at people trying to do something we're trained to do and say "eh, it's not that hard." I think that every time I watch most of these people try to learn choreography. But the general consensus I've heard from people who aren't used to reading those things is that most people seem to find it surprisingly difficult. And then add to that having to make sure you were looking at the right cameras, pronouncing unfamiliar names correctly, getting everything done within the allotted time (I'm guessing they weren't quite as down to the second as real broadcasting is, but still), and the pressure of everyone else breathing down your neck. I actually thought it was a solidly difficult task.

• Love 1

I wasn't paying full attention mid-way through the introductions and initially thought Nick & Sabrina were an Italian brother/sister team; I awwwed when she said they loved one another but hit the rewind button awfully fast when they revealed their hobby was cuddling.

Of course she soon zoomed to the top of the annoying charts, tied with the gay brother who got bitchy with the cab driver.

It was so chaotic at the TSN challenge I had no idea what was going on...and I was only watching. 

The [insert sport team name here] mascot at the end was a bit of a scene stealer.

• Love 1

This is my last comment on the subject, I promise, but more than once I met those from Markham, Vaughan or Mississauga claimed to be from Toronto. The conversation usually went like this:

"Where are you from?"

"Toronto."

"Oh? Which part of Toronto?"

"Mississauga, several minutes west from down town (via Gardiner)."

Minutes to Mississauga? Maybe by helicopter.

I always find it odd when people who live in the suburbs or small cities outside Toronto like to say they here. You either do or you don't, and they live in the burbs. Unless they live in Oakville and then they proudly say it.

Is the cutting and editing even faster this year?  Just as I try to see what's going on, they chop it up. The hyperactive editing makes it hard to understand what's going on.

(edited)
It was so chaotic at the TSN challenge I had no idea what was going on...and I was only watching. 

Is the cutting and editing even faster this year?  Just as I try to see what's going on, they chop it up. The hyperactive editing makes it hard to understand what's going on.

You're both correct!

Personally, that's the exact reason why the American edition has dropped in quality as compared to the Canadian: the former has done away with quick cut editing since Unfinished Business as well as adopting a newer soundtrack that is noticeably more tranquil and less intense than before.

For example, take the showdown between the bottom-two teams running into ACC at the end of the episode: if this were in the hands of Bertram van Munster's current crew, it would've been as non-suspenseful as all but one of the eight eliminations from the recent Blind Date season.

The case is quite different with Mark Lysakowski and company: not only was the visual of the centre court gate swinging open included right before Susan/Sharnjit ran inside onto the Mat, but the audio used was also old-school, the classic footrace battle theme whose name escapes me at the moment.

TLDR: TARCAN's faster-paced editing is what makes it that much more exciting than recent seasons of the American original.

Edited by Vyas
  • Love 1

You're both correct!

Personally, that's the exact reason why the American edition has dropped in quality as compared to the Canadian: the former has done away with quick cut editing since Unfinished Business as well as adopting a newer soundtrack that is noticeably more tranquil and less intense than before.

For example, take the showdown between the bottom-two teams running into ACC at the end of the episode: if this were in the hands of Bertram van Munster's current crew, it would've been as non-suspenseful as all but one of the eight eliminations from the recent Blind Date season.

The case is quite different with Mark Lysakowski and company: not only was the visual of the centre court gate swinging open included right before Susan/Sharnjit ran inside onto the Mat, but the audio used was also old-school, the classic footrace battle theme whose name escapes me at the moment.

TLDR: TARCAN's faster-paced editing is what makes it that much more exciting than recent seasons of the American original.

Exciting? I don't find it exciting.  I find it rapid and jarring and a cheap trick used to disguise the fact that the director and editor aren't very good.

Exciting? I don't find it exciting.  I find it rapid and jarring and a cheap trick used to disguise the fact that the director and editor aren't very good.

I respectfully disagree, since it allowed the viewers to become fully engrossed in both this premiere as well as last year's/season's. The very first TARCAN episode in Kelowna went almost quaintly leisurely in retrospect with two/three fewer teams to follow.

Oh how far has James Duthie fallen. From anchoring NHL on TSN to guest appearance on TAR-C. Guess Bell is feeling the pain of Rogers' NHL blockbuster contract.

Fallen? I'd say this is a career highlight! I'd be thrilled to be a part of TAR!

I think the Mikkelson - Spooner factor really boosted the excitement level of the show.

I found myself missing them this episode :(

2. Know how to swim

And always, ALWAYS:

Yes! And getting over your fear of height because there is ALWAYS a challenge involving heights.

I have never hated a team as quickly as I hate Sabrina. Shut up and race you stupid cow. You're making Canadian women look bad.

I have never wanted to punch someone on TV until this episode. STFU Sabrina. STFU. I was hoping they'd be eliminated, but I'm fine with the other team morans going.

The TSN challenge was sneaky. I would've rocked it cuz I'm good at reading out loud and yay BC Lions! But dyslexic SO would've volunteered thinking it involves throwing a ball or something athletic....

Anyway, this season looks promising and I hope it's just as entertaining as the previous seasons!

• Love 1

I think this episode suffered from the same problem as last year's first episode - they tried to cram too much in. Especially for a first show, I think it's important to be able to get to know the contestants a little better than the jam packed activity allowed. Some of them barely got shown.

That said, I enjoyed it. Again, I think the tasks are much superior and challenging than American TAR and they test both the physical and the intelligence. Looking forward to the rest of the season even though they're not giving western Canada many teams to cheer for. Love the Nigerian dad and daughter.

I found myself missing them this episode :(

Me too!

• Love 1

2. Know how to swim

And always, ALWAYS:

And know how to row a boat and read a map 

My impression from Simi and Ope was that Ope had been practicing swimming but hadn't reached a point where he was completely confident in his skill. Which is understandable if he hasn't been swimming very long, but he jumped in and did his best which is all I really want from my reality contestants. (No quitting, Rex Harrington.)

When it comes time to drive a stick shift he might have the experience advantage on that one, having presumably learned to drive outside North America.

All the team supportiveness was great, this seems like a great cast overall. Hopefully ep 2 doesn't break the illusion.

I did wonder why Cynthia wasn't crawling across the log. That's moving over difficult areas 101: get closer to the ground, whether hands and knees or on your bum. I guess she had Race task tunnel vision, poor thing.

(edited)

Cynthia had tunnel vision, exasperated because she saw other teams run across. They ran so she convinced herself that she had to run. When the person behind her crawled across, she probably kicked herself all the way to the Rogers Centre. Air Canada Centre. :) 

Edited by Taeolas

Cynthia had tunnel vision, exasperated because she saw other teams run across. They ran so she convinced herself that she had to run. When the person behind her crawled across, she probably kicked herself all the way to the Rogers Centre. Air Canada Centre. :) 

For sure she did. Did you see the look on her face? Pure "OMFG, I could have just cr... <Head explodes>"

I thought it was a good start, lots of challenges and opportunities to mix up team order.

Interesting and diverse teams this year. That's probably my biggest complaint about the US version - too many generic hot fit white couples. Yawn. They spread it out nicely across the country - one from Newfoundland, two from Nova Scotia, one from Quebec, one from Manitoba, two from BC, and five from Ontario (Hamilton, Newmarket, Burlington and two from Toronto). It would be nice to see someone from a Territory or from Ontario who wasn't from the horshoe or from Quebec who wasn't from Montreal. I guess, statistically, that's what happens.

Sabrina, why did you try out for,the show if you're not fit? Gawd. Has she ever seen TAR? It's a race, which involves moving quickly. Although there are still dimwits on Survivor every year who,whine that they didn't know it would be so hard, physically. Idiots. Makes you wonder about the contestants who didn't make the cut.

• Love 2

I thought it was a good start, lots of challenges and opportunities to mix up team order.

Interesting and diverse teams this year. That's probably my biggest complaint about the US version - too many generic hot fit white couples. Yawn.

Sabrina, why did you try out for,the show if you're not fit? Gawd. Has she ever seen TAR? It's a race, which involves moving quickly. Although there are still dimwits on Survivor every year who,whine that they didn't know it would be so hard, physically. Idiots. Makes you wonder about the contestants who didn't make the cut.

My only complaint was that basically nothing in the first half of the episode mattered - not even the flights to Toronto as it turned out. It was only from the market and then at TSN that had much effect.  A few minor position changes at the final RB, but overall it was TSN that made or broke teams.  Also if you're going to do anagrams then make the teams show you their completed anagram before getting the clue - I hate this "let's just wander around and... oh look!  Follow them!"

Got to say this cast is SO much better than the casting of the last seasons of both TAR:Original and TAR:Oz/NZ.  I may end up disliking some of them, but for now I'm really happy that they're not all dating couples, and that they seem (to me at least) to be reasonably diverse. 

Seconding the thought about Sabrina, especially with TAR:Canada which is generally a lot more physical than the other versions.  Also how quickly did she end up giving her partner her backpack??  Seriously here, don't pack what you can't carry and run with.  Sheesh!  That should definitely be another TAR rule. :-)

• Love 1